CNN anchor to Rand Paul: I hope you’re happy with yourself, Mr. Tea Party

posted at 4:16 pm on July 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, eight intensely annoying minutes for your Debt-Ceiling Sunday viewing pleasure while we await the final terms of a deal. The good news? No terrorist analogies here from Don Lemon, a notable exception to the left’s new New Tone. The bad news? He seems deeply, truly, abidingly uninterested in the policy question at issue, which is whether we can afford a step toward solving America’s debt problem as modest as Reid’s or Boehner’s plan given the magnitude of the crisis. He’d rather talk about the short-term political fallout of the standoff in Congress through the lens of which side is more willing to compromise and therefore, supposedly, less to blame. From that perspective, this is actually a dynamite sneak preview of how the media will react on Wednesday if today’s deal falls apart and we end up hitting the ceiling. If you want to ask someone why they’ve resorted to desperate measures, at least let ‘em explain why they think these are desperate times, no? Especially since, per Paul, these measures aren’t as desperate as they might be.

Speaking of which, your exit question via Steve Hayes: What would this deal have looked like if the GOP really refused to compromise?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…your exit question via Steve Hayes: What would this deal have looked like if the GOP really refused to compromise?

“The deal” would seem invisible because there would be no deal.

gryphon202 on July 31, 2011 at 4:18 PM

But Don Lemon told Joy Behar that he can be a fair reporter!!1!!1111!!1

SouthernGent on July 31, 2011 at 4:22 PM

gryphon: Oh, I don’t know. I think there’s an even money chance that no deal would have been reached, or that the bill would look a LOT closer to CC&B.

Scott H on July 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Oh don lemon.. I’ve loved you ever since jon stewart did that bit on you a week ago..

don lemon don’t take no shit from nobody

triple on July 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Rand Paul’s got a lot to do? The TEA party is rigid? We’re not even a factor, we’ve been shut out for weeks. WTF?

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 4:27 PM

An interesting take from BusinessWeek- perhaps senior citizens, not the Tea Party, were the real power behind the Obama and Boehner ‘grand bargain’ collapsing. Any bill that seriously cuts social security prompts a massive outcry from seniors. Is the influence of the Tea Party being overestimated?

he U.S. is in danger of reaching a generational tipping point at which older Americans have the clout to vote themselves benefits that sap the strength of the younger generation… “Stop the liberals from raiding the Social Security Trust Fund once and for all!” says a recent mailing from the National Retirement Security Task Force. Similar messages aimed at Democratic voters make the same charge against Republicans. No wonder Obama and Boehner were rebuffed by their own parties for putting entitlements on the table. In the end neither the House nor the Senate debt-ceiling proposals touched Social Security or Medicare. Not pretty.

bayam on July 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I like Ben Richards’ approach to dealing with the media back in 1987.

fossten on July 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Just looking at the screen shot tells me everything I need to know.
Don is on offense/attack
Rand is pleading his case.

It’s all in the hands

katy on July 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

It’s not the TEA party locked in secret backroom negotiations with other nefarious characters, it’s Boehner and Cantor and Reid and whoever his pile of #2 is.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Heh . Lemon asked him how he voted on Reid’s plan. What an idiot. No surprise triple likes him.

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I’m dumb, I don’t understand Mr. Hayes’ tweet.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Lemon wants simple answers. I suspect the complex is out of his grasp.

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Debt deal about done, Asian markets about to open. Coincidence? You decide.

txmomof6 on July 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Why should he be any more interested than the entire congress. Crisis, what crisis?

The only crisis they actually see is that they can’t spend any more money without a increase in the debt limit, that’s it. They actually understand that new taxes won’t really sove the problem either because they will just spend it as well. Taxes are just a talking point to these people and their supports don’t pay them anyway, both at the top and the bottom.

whbates on July 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM

You can forgive ignorance, but never stupidity….. and Lemon is a lemon.

ultracon on July 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Lemon: So you feel.

Heh .

What a tool.

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM

lol what a jerk…

Reminds me why I never watch CNN.

thanks Lemon

golfmann on July 31, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Don Lemon’s closing was beyond lame. He was not part of the American people that sent the likes of Rand Paul to Washington. Anyway, he was probably trying to get away from that awkward moment.

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:37 PM

No, no, no, listen. YOU don’t understand. Checks. Money. I want them, now. Debt? You freaking Tea Party nut, who cares about the debt!

Or, as Ray Liotta explained in Goodfellas: “—- you, pay me.”

HitNRun on July 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

The man knows his audience, I’ll give him that.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

CNN anchor to Rand Paul: I hope you’re happy with yourself, Mr. Tea Party

LOL

Nobody de-spins the MSM & lefty pundits (BIRM) as concisely and snarkily as Allah.

Nobody.

Purple Fury on July 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Lemon wants simple answers. I suspect the complex is out of his grasp.

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Lemon wants to spread Dem talking points. The question really is is he aware of this or not?

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I wonder if Lemon will start a new CNN show “Gay in America”

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Purple Fury on July 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM

LOL, agreed!

d1carter on July 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I’m dumb, I don’t understand Mr. Hayes’ tweet.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Me neither. The only way it makes any sense to me is if he’s a Democrat or an MSM hack, but I’m not sure if I understand it correctly.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Compromise is a fine and necessary art when you’re perfectly Ok with the status quo. When the status quo is a suicidal dash over a cliff, then compromise is just another version of a death wish.
There are issues on the table now that are NOT OK to equivocate about. This NOT a normal time, and decisions made now will echo down the decades ahead and have sledge-hammer impacts on future generations. The best option right now is a serious reduction in the power of the Federal Government and a return to a more disbursed arrangement of private and local responsibilities. Lacking that, the only other alternative is to just crash it!

Lew on July 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM

bayam on July 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Hey, Contessa! Was the guy who wrote this article an economist? No.

Coy joined the magazine in December, 1989, as Telecommunications editor, then became Technology editor in October, 1992, and held that position until joining the economics staff. He came to BusinessWeek from the Associated Press in New York, where he had served as a business-news writer since 1985. Before that, Coy worked as a correspondent in the AP Rochester bureau. He began his career at the AP in 1980 as an editor in the Albany bureau. Prior to that, Coy was a reporter for the Waterbury (Conn.) Republican. He has appeared on numerous TV programs, including shows on CNN, Fox News Channel, and MSNBC, among others. Coy holds a BA in history from Cornell University.

Del Dolemonte on July 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Wilson wouldn’t compromise with Lodge, and Lodge was comparatively flexible (although shrewd enough to know Wilson wasn’t). What makes anyone think this White House would have let a crisis go to waste?

Seth Halpern on July 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

You mean when you go over a cliff you cannot stop half way?

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Damn extremist that Rand Paul. Something must be done.///

RDE2010 on July 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I think he means that considering Ryan’s budget and CCB, the Republicans have compromised a ton to get anywhere near the current offers. I’m basing this on the fact that Mr. Hayes has been the most hardline conservative on Special Report.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I would have told that interviewer, “I’ll drop the talking points, if you will.”

PackerBronco on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Very first comment at bayam’s link confirms my suspicion about the writer

While I sympathize with many of the author’s points, this attempt to use Einstein’s Relativity theory to explain sloppy concepts in DC economics is nonsense. It’s nothing but an attempt to hijack the language of another theory and use it completely out of context in an embarrassingly superficial attempt to look intelligent.

Del Dolemonte on July 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Every Republican should make a simple observation in this kind of situation: “I stood for election and was elected by a majority of thousands of American citizens on the basis of the policies I am now following, while you were hired by some media fatcat to read the news. So please don’t act as if somehow it is my job to gain your approval. I know who my boss is and I also know who yours is, and they are not the same, okay?”

drunyan8315 on July 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

PackerBronco on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I’m not even sure if most of what RP was saying would be considered talking points. I think even at the end, Lemon basically said he just wants simple answers. Well, then why is Lemon prefacing every question with a Dem talking point?

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Hey Lemon, don’t pick on my Senator.

HellCat on July 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Candy Crowley is probably the best anchor on air at CNN. I like John King but he’s as biased as the next one of them. If you disagree with Barack Obama’s policies you might be a racist. They have this distinct inability to think past identity politics. It’s easy to identify what they are all doing, once you read Ann Coulter’s book Demonic.

Thank You Mr Paul for holding the line.

Dr Evil on July 31, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Don Lemon comes across as a horse’s butt. So that is what CNN passes off as a news reporter. Could have fooled me. Every time he interrupted Rand Paul he looked a fool and those talking points he didn’t want Rand Paul to use, seemed to come across very well from Don Lemon.

Don Lemon tries to come across as a concerned news reporter, by stating that he wanted to let Rand Paul go back and do the job he was elected to do, and all I got from his demeanor is nothing but sarcasm.

Granted I am not only disappointed in the news media and how they lean toward their ideology and the members of the Congress, but Rand Paul is at least trying to make an attempt to do the right thing. Whether he is successful or not is yet to be seen.

Fireplug52 on July 31, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Don Lemon certainly isn’t saying anything that John McRage and the rest of the RINO’s have been saying.

HondaV65 on July 31, 2011 at 4:53 PM

You mean when you go over a cliff you cannot stop half way?

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Nope! Sorry, that item’s not on the menu tonight. This is what you call a “binary” situation. The choices are A.) go charging over the cliff as fast as you can, or B.) relax and just cruise over the cliff and spend your last 15 seconds of life trying to convince yourself that you’re flying and not falling.
That sudden stop at the bottom is a bitch!!

Lew on July 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

That makes more sense than the other way around, I think.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Rand Paul/Rand Paul 2012!

mankai on July 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Yep, me too. Steve Hayes is no liberal…

d1carter on July 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Notice how Lemon started off presuming talking points from Paul. I wonder has he ever taken that tone with a Dem? The funny thing is I rarely see Paul putting out talking points. He always seems prepared, sincere, and engaged.

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Im not a big Rand Paul supporter but he did a great job and don lemon was dripping with codescension..a true asshole

georgealbert on July 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Rand Paul is awesome!
He articulates the conservative plan to balance the budget, something the American people want, in layman’s terms.
It’s funny how Mr. Lemon keeps talking saying “you’ve made your point”. What is that? That’s like King George saying “Ok, American colonists, you’ve made your point, now sit down and shut up and pay your taxes to the King!”
Mr. Lemon, did you hear that 75% of Americans want a balanced budget amendment?

Mark7788 on July 31, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Hey Lemon, don’t pick on my Senator.

HellCat on July 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Do you believe your Senator feels just how pissed off you are at Obama?

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:57 PM

PackerBronco on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

If Lemon dropped talking points he would have sat there mute.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Rand did great as usual, BTW. He definitely got his message across despite the interruptions.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Yep, me too. Steve Hayes is no liberal…

d1carter on July 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I wish they’d have Hayes replace Krauthammer :(

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Don Lemon, lose the pink tie, and read up on some economics, will ya?

JohnGalt23 on July 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM

You mean when you go over a cliff you cannot stop half way?

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Nope! That item ain’t on tonight’s menu, Sport!
This is what you call one of those pesky “binary” situations. The available choices are 1.) go dashing over the cliff as fast as you can and scream like a girl all the way down, or 2.) relax and just cruise over the edge and spend your last 15 seconds of life convincing yourself that you’re really just flying and not falling.
That sudden stop at the bottom is gonna be a real eye opener.

Lew on July 31, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Mr. Lemon, President Obama has made this a spectacle by threatening to withhold social security checks. The President is required by law to pay social security according to the Social Security Act. It’s law. So when he games the system to make political points, he is lying.

Mark7788 on July 31, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Yes Del, you’re right as always- everyone knows that Bloomberg isn’t a source of reliable or authoritative business reporting. Next time I’ll try and quote Good Housekeeping. Nice call.

bayam on July 31, 2011 at 5:01 PM

So the leftist meme is that the tea party as brought this crisis down upon our heads -Its coming from all of them and it’s now atlking point.

As we approach the 2012 election, we can be sure of two things. The left fears the tea party most of all -far more than the GOP itself (no small wonder(

The second is that they fear Sarah Palin most of all -far more than the other candidates.

Gosh, I wonder if the establishment GOP will quietly join with the left(I suspect they’d like to) or listen and follow those whom the left fears and do some real winning and realchange for a change.

Don L on July 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM

“Lemon”. Names says it all. Didn’t another CNN “reporter” get the ax some time back for her, er…. “reporting”.

GarandFan on July 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I don’t know, I like hearing the establishment and the young turk views. And he’s no afraid to disagree with Dr. K.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Mr. Lemon: The Tea Party is trying to restore sanity to a system of continual taxing and over-spending.
Mr. Lemon: How does the Boehner plan of adding $7 trillion to our debt help to restore fiscal sanity?
Mr. Lemon: If we keep spending like drunken Marxists, there will BE no Social Security of Medicare.
Mr. Lemon: The Democrats represent the selfishness of Americans nowadays by spending for themselves and letting our kids and grandkids twist in the wind.

Mark7788 on July 31, 2011 at 5:05 PM

CW on July 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Yes, I noticed and I agreed with what you say.

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I can’t understand why any Republican would talk to Mr. Lemon. What a bad joke. Commie News Network at its best.

CatoRenasci on July 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

“I’m dumb, I don’t understand Mr. Hayes’ tweet.
Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM
FloatingRock on July 31, 2011 at 4:42 PM”

Make it three. Me either. Can someone explain? Is this written in inside the beltway tweet code?

JimP on July 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Don Lemon does have a daunting task here. First he needs Rand Paul to acknowledge his hateful, violent, racist republican agenda and at the same time restrains himself from telling off this low life porch teabagger.
I aggree. Mr. Lemon is a regular Anderson Cooper when dealing with this conservative bourgeois. Whether he actually heard anything the eloquent Paul said is irrelevant. It chaffes the narative.

onomo on July 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I think Krauthammer holds too high a position on the panel, if you will. Isn’t he on every day? It has been a while since I’ve tuned in, though.

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Don L on July 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Well you need to look no further that the way the Tea Party congressmen have been treated by the establishment Republicans in the past two weeks. It won’t be pretty.

whbates on July 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I hope you are happy with yourself, Mr no ratings. Hey you seen the ratings lately on your failed network.

Isn’t it funny how the nutjobs think nothing of calling others any name they want

tarpon on July 31, 2011 at 5:08 PM

This leftie buffoon, who lives entirely in Obama’s azz, is concerned about ‘enlightening’ “the American people” by the congress.

That is your job, you nincompoop. Such stupidity is glaring and the dude didn’t even realize it. Also, he is a dictator, not a moderator, yet accuses Paul of extremism.

Schadenfreude on July 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Yesterday I saw 5 min or so of Piers Morgan getting whacked by Chaffets with the simple statement ‘How can I be voting against something that does not exist?’

Now you got a clip of Don Lemon getting ‘in the face’ of Rand Paul with the foolish statement that voting against the Reid plan means there is no compromise. I wonder WHY Don thinks the FIRST bill presented by Reid would be any sort of a compromise?

CNN is so absurdly slanted there is rarely any reason to even find them on the cable box.

Freddy on July 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Our debt is the Titanic heading towards an iceberg, and Don Lemon’s more worried about running out of champagne. That about sums up our major media news reporting.

Socratease on July 31, 2011 at 5:12 PM

When I briefly run across Lemon-ade on CNN he seems an arrogant, narcissistic, CNN version of O’Reilly. Holder’s people don’t suffer the likes of a Rand Paul when they have to deal with truth and facts. This affirmative action tool helps makes CNN what it is.

wepeople on July 31, 2011 at 5:12 PM

CNN the most busted name in news.

ajacksonian on July 31, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Paul did an outstanding job keeping his composure. Lemon was trying to bait him into an outburst so the left could tweet/YT about how he’s not only an extremist, but also a racist and homophobe to boot. Instead he got nothing but the truth.

A.C. McCloud on July 31, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Why do we even act surprised at these moments, we know the MSM is for the socialist agenda.

bluemarlin on July 31, 2011 at 5:22 PM

PAUL should have encouraged people to pressure the WH to avoid a default and to make plans to contact the WH if there is one.

IlikedAUH2O on July 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Yep, he’s is indeed the anchor to the panel. The sage. Oh dear I don’t know what’s going on but the Husband just told someone on TV to go forth and multiply. I’ll have to go see who it is.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Welcome to 2012, four months early

Limerick on July 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Who is Don Lemon?

And what is CNN?

It was on CNN, so at least no one saw his slight of Sen. Rand.

molonlabe28 on July 31, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Jim McDermott, no wonder he used bad language.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Don Lemon=douchebag

MJZZZ on July 31, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Honestly, I really don’t know why our side wastes time giving interviews to pretend-to-be-journalists.

Kini on July 31, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Lemon? Really? Talented? What a shill for the Democratic Party?

hawkdriver on July 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Rand Paul to Don Lemon…Get your hands off my boobs.

you’ll get it in a minute…..

Fighton03 on July 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

you’ll get it in a minute…..

Fighton03 on July 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Nope. It’s been a minute.

hawkdriver on July 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM

[Lemon] received a degree in broadcast journalism…

He’s right up there with Contessa Brewer in terms of being an economic heavtweight.

mankai on July 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Where is Don Lemon’s interview with Harry Reid asking if he is ready to compromise? Did I miss it?

John Sexton on July 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

What a condescending d!ck that lemon turns out to be.

dirtseller on July 31, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Lemon is only interested in promoting the interests of his little messiah.

BillCarson on July 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM

At what point did he say: I hope you’re happy with yourself, Mr. Tea Party?

I watched the whole thing and didn’t hear him say that. Not that he wasn’t acting like a dick the whole time.

reddevil on July 31, 2011 at 6:19 PM

What an insufferable ass of an interviewer.

disa on July 31, 2011 at 6:37 PM

reddevil on July 31, 2011 at 6:19 PM

It’s called paraphrasing.

disa on July 31, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Lemon sure likes to f-i-l-i-b-u-s-t-e-r his way through interviews. Oh well, if he accomplished anything it was to make Rand Paul sound incredibly reasonable and persuasive, so well-done, Don!

Buy Danish on July 31, 2011 at 6:40 PM

That little CNN puke is nothing but a left wing shill.

rplat on July 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

bayam on July 31, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Translated: “Del busted this guy’s “expertise” dead to rights, and I can’t credibly refute the facts he provide to do so. Only thing left to do is use Alinsky 101 and ridicule him.”

G-

Del Dolemonte on July 31, 2011 at 6:59 PM

There are no friendly interviews with the MSM, and the GOP needs to stop living in “Let’s Pretend” land on the subject. Either take it to THEM on the subject of their lies, or don’t talk to them at all.

Cooperating with them has always failed.

Merovign on July 31, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Sour

carbon_footprint on July 31, 2011 at 7:44 PM

What a condescending d!ck that lemon turns out to be.

Thank You!!!

Mr. Grump on July 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM

don lemon don’t take no shit from nobody

triple on July 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM

No, he just spews it like a freshman projectile vomiting during rush.

hillbillyjim on July 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Chicago is… OUT? Chicago is…….. OUT?!?!

Add another one to Don Lemon’s greatest hack hits. What a putz.

Red Cloud on July 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Never mind, the Chicago thing wasn’t Lemon. But he’s still a dope.

Red Cloud on July 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM

The anchor is African American and in the Media so there is a 115% chance he’s a rabid Obama supporter.

Stop appearing on these loser Cable channels Conservatives.

PappyD61 on July 31, 2011 at 9:11 PM