CNN anchor to Rand Paul: I hope you’re happy with yourself, Mr. Tea Party

posted at 4:16 pm on July 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, eight intensely annoying minutes for your Debt-Ceiling Sunday viewing pleasure while we await the final terms of a deal. The good news? No terrorist analogies here from Don Lemon, a notable exception to the left’s new New Tone. The bad news? He seems deeply, truly, abidingly uninterested in the policy question at issue, which is whether we can afford a step toward solving America’s debt problem as modest as Reid’s or Boehner’s plan given the magnitude of the crisis. He’d rather talk about the short-term political fallout of the standoff in Congress through the lens of which side is more willing to compromise and therefore, supposedly, less to blame. From that perspective, this is actually a dynamite sneak preview of how the media will react on Wednesday if today’s deal falls apart and we end up hitting the ceiling. If you want to ask someone why they’ve resorted to desperate measures, at least let ‘em explain why they think these are desperate times, no? Especially since, per Paul, these measures aren’t as desperate as they might be.

Speaking of which, your exit question via Steve Hayes: What would this deal have looked like if the GOP really refused to compromise?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why do some see the Tea Party as radical… we’re the only people with any common sense.. like the kind you’d find around the supper table working out a family budget.

Rigid? Yea I have x dollars for y spending… ahh… duh?!

amend2 on July 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

When did anyone at CNN ever demand ‘simple answers’ from Obama?… Anyone… He is the long-winded-est TOTUS reader ever and they eat it up.
Let me be perfectly clear… Please…
Rand was as to the point as this guy’s questions deserved of him.

RalphyBoy on July 31, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Don Lemon is a sheeple obamabagger.

Lon Chaney on July 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM

R I G I D

i like it..

amend2 on July 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM

“Now get back to work.”

No expressions of respect at all. Somehow I doubt he treats all the other lazy Senators this way.

Arrogant little twit speaks for me[along with all the other angry Americans who talk to the TV guy when they're angry]?? Then how come I’ve never heard of him?

Can we say ‘self-appointed’? would that be fair?

rwenger43 on July 31, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Why do some see the Tea Party as radical…

amend2 on July 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Apparently an understanding of basic math and the concept “you can only spend what you have” makes one a radical!!

This is probably due to the infestation of our once-great schools by Liberals, who have proceeded to dumb-down the curriculum and graduate a few generations of ignoramuses.

landlines on August 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Who is that jerk? I’ve never seen such disrespect for a senator from a talking head before!

Pablo Snooze on August 1, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Pablo Snooze on August 1, 2011 at 12:22 AM

That jerk is someone that has been trained and is highly skilled in playing to the lowest common denominator.

The problem with Paul Sr. and Jr is that the just get up there and tell the unvarnished truth and often time that doesn’t play well on main-street.

esnap on August 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Lemon is an embarrassment to journalists everywhere.

savvydude on August 1, 2011 at 3:07 AM

I love the way it is so obvious that Democrats and Republicans are treated so differently and Very easy to recognize.

old war horse on August 1, 2011 at 3:47 AM

AllahPundit, I’ve lived over 60 years under the threat of approaching Armageddon-like wars, recessions, and other blah.

I’ve been promised pie in the sky and delivered turds.

This time = “Bring it on.” I don’t believe them anymore.

{^_^}

herself on August 1, 2011 at 5:28 AM

Lemon is an embarrassment to journalists everywhere.

savvydude on August 1, 2011 at 3:07 AM

You must be thinking of journalism the way it used to be. He’s a paragon of tact and taste by today’s standards.

SKYFOX on August 1, 2011 at 6:35 AM

An obvious answer to Allah’s (sort of) question:

Lemon doesn’t want to talk about the underlying policy because he’s profoundly ill-equipped to do so. He’s a know-nothing.

But good of him to help Rand Paul by assuring him of “what the public is feeling”, because someone on JournoList told him.

Jaibones on August 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Jaibones on August 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Were I Rand, I might have been compelled to ask, “Is there anyone with some manners that would like to ask a question?” Rand really was trying to answer the specific questions. Lemon admonishment that he was trying to keep Rand on track in his answers was probably the most ridiculous thing he said.

hawkdriver on August 1, 2011 at 7:40 AM

“I’m not asking what you did, I’m asking what you feel.”

Silly journalist. Republicans are stone cold robots without feelings.

shick on August 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM

The man knows his audience, I’ll give him that.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I think he only knows MSNBC’s audience.

Lemon is a sad little affirmative-action hire, with no particular skills and no education.

Jaibones on August 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM

hawkdriver on August 1, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I remain puzzled that a conservative would be interested in talking live on air to a CNN douche like Lemon. They really need to pick their environment a little more carefully.

That said, Rand was remarkably patient with this nitwit.

Jaibones on August 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Remember … to the brainless fringe-left, it is all about how you feel, and not what you think. They are unaware of having conscious thought in any rational sense.

Jaibones on August 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I don’t get this “talking points”, aren’t they the major points of any debate?
So why not take the “talking points” and discuss them, either embrace them as being accurate, or rebuke them as being dishonest.
But every major movement has specific points, that’s like saying, those amendments to the constitution are just talking points.
Talking point:
We will sign the bill if we can have a balanced budget amendment 7-10 years.

So now, accept it, or deny it…and discuss why that “talking point” is or is not acceptable.

Let’s discuss the liberal talking points:
Seniors are not going to receive the Social Security…don’t run from the talking point, discuss them and analyze them.

right2bright on August 1, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Paul should have asked Lemon if he needed to speak slower so he could understand the answers.

Free Indeed on August 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM

get rid of the ad that makes the bell ringing sound constantly!

wcarr on August 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Why does anyone even go on CNN? The CNN talking heads are all so biased and they don’t interview the guests they try to beat them up verbally. Don Lemon thinks he’s at a debate with Rand Paul – not interviewing him. And his BIAS is glaringly clear.
CNN= Communist News Network OR
NN= Constantly Negative News

IlonaE on August 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

OMG what a POS!

Rand was remarkably patient with this nitwit.

Jaibones on August 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I agree. The more I see of Rand, the more I like him. I could not have held back my disgust of that insipid creature.

Badger40 on August 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM

What a POS!
That asshole is the reason I don’t watch the news. I like my TV. Jerks like him make me want to throw shit at my TV.

1IDVET on August 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM

One would think that Ted Turner could hire a better grade of Affirmative Action talking head at the vaulted CNN….this Lemon guy obviously is unable to comprehend anything but SIMPLE answers.

el Vaquero on August 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Senator Paul should have walked away at the first filibuster by Lemon. While he managed to hold his own, it plays into the media’s hands when the GOP allows themselves to be treated differently from Obama.

gh on August 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM