Video: Marco Rubio vs. John Kerry on the debt crisis

posted at 5:00 pm on July 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

A long clip but worth every minute. Trust me. Just watch it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Unfortunately, missed this live. Rubio has the conservative passion of Reagan and the communication and debate skills of Reagan, JFK, and Clinton combined.

But he beats them all in one category that really counts, his personal story, with parents fleeing the very kind of economic system that the Dems and progressive R’s have slowly nudged us toward over the last 8 decades, and ramped up on steroids in just the last two and a half years.

One day, and I hope in my lifetime, we all wake up to he headlines on a cold November day, “RUBIO WINS PRESIDENCY IN LANDSLIDE.”

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I have Brown & Kerry for mine.

;-(

roy_batty on July 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I’d trade you a Schumer or Gillibrand for Brown any day.

amazingmets on July 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I sent a link out to everyone I know and posted it on Facebook with almost those exact words. Maybe there is hope yet for our Republic.

Naturally Curly on July 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Naturally Curly on July 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Meant to add, I just hope when I see those headlines, it’s not too late.

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM

All I can say is, “wow.” What a great example of an American explaining the problem, while offering solutions. Thank you, Mr. Rubio…

ArgoNunya on July 30, 2011 at 7:56 PM

That is an impressive performance.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 30, 2011 at 7:56 PM

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Rubio does have an incredible ability to communicate. That’s something you can’t teach.

terryannonline on July 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I knew this was “the guy” when I heard him speak at CPAC in Feb 2010. Marco Rubio will one day be our President, and that day can’t come soon enough. This gives me hope….REAL hope…not the changey kind.

EternalVigilance on July 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Amen Senator Rubio – excellent, excellent debate, Now I know how far my emails pleading with Senator Kerry have gotten me – nil, nada, time to jump of the cliff. I am still holdimg out for Scott Brown, i do hope he stands for something rather than following suit.

wubu on July 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

My Senator! God bless and keep him!

Dandapani on July 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM

All democrats are criminals, including the fascist president. No moral person contests this.

proconstitution on July 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I can’t remember when I was actually proud of a politician. Finally a glimpse of sunshine in a forest of disappointment and utter failure.

whsiii on July 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM

DAMN….DAMN….

Gave me shivers. That man is the real deal….DAMN…that was good.

Passion, intelligence, made his point…..DAMN.

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE REST OF THEM!!!!

It was right out of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Man. DAMN.

Speechless.

Scoreboard44 on July 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Please make him a keynote speaker at the GOP Convention!!

TheQuestion on July 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Please make him a keynote speaker at the GOP Convention!!

TheQuestion on July 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I’m sure he will. I know establishment Republicans can be somewhat clueless but they aren’t that clueless….at least I hope not!

terryannonline on July 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Why is Lurch allowed out of his cave?

madmonkphotog on July 30, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Please make him a keynote speakeraccepter of the nomination at the GOP Convention!!

TheQuestion on July 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM

FIFU
U = Us

esnap on July 30, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Why is Lurch allowed out of his cave?

madmonkphotog on July 30, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Actually, Kerry was more lucid than normal in posing his questions, but Rubio knocked them out of the park.

What’s more notable is that you had here a former presidential candidate and senior senator from Massachusetts literally bitch-slapped by a freshman senator, and in a way that leaves no doubt whose arguments are best.

Kerry was lucky, when you think about it, that his last debate opponent was a guy called “W”.

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Without having read the comments yet, I applaud Sen. Rubio’s excellent speech on the crux of the issues at hand. He is succinct and persuasive. He spells out the irresponsibility of the Senate Dems for many years. The Dems have been horrid stewards of the people’s resources, wealth, and tax dollars.

The nonsense interruption by Kerry, pompous and irrelevant, is typical of his self-importance. His fidgeting with his nose, not once but twice, is a tell of a dismissive liar, showing his disdain. He doesn’t even realize that he has been bested by Rubio in the debate.

onlineanalyst on July 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Wow.

Presidential timber right there.

Ken McCracken on July 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM

The beauty part is that Sen. Rubio was speaking his convictions, not some vacuous platitudes.

onlineanalyst on July 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM

WOW!!!
This man will be president some day

ConservativePartyNow on July 30, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Rubio shines: Amazing, inspiring stuff. It gives me heart to know we still have national politicians who are not scheming and conniving and playing Machiavellian games while the country veers towards the abyss.

I personally doubt any of the current GOP presidential hopefuls can beat the Obama machine in 2012. Billionaire businessman and front-runner Mitt Romney’s silence on the debt ceiling issue, for example, is no doubt the result of focus group studies and polling data that indicate no action is the best action, even though one would think his grasp of high finance and hard numbers would make him the ideal go-to guy for ideas and solutions. But no. Romney evidently wants to take the stealth approach to the nomination, slowly accumulating small advantages while his more outspoken opponents take the heat if the GOP catches the blame for this mess. His strategy just might work, too, but I don’t admire him for it.

Sarah Palin’s not-so-subtle threat endorsing ‘contested primaries’ against GOP legislators seeking some kind of compromise solution was ham-fisted and ill-conceived, leading me to believe she lacks the messaging savvy necessary to win–maybe she comes across as so impulsive and undisciplined because she was so poorly handled by McCain’s people, and she and her husband won’t hire or heed advisers whom she trusts enough to tell her when a bad idea is a bad idea. Veiled threats to foment a Tea Party backlash against fellow Republicans right now is a very bad idea.

The others? Perry, Bachmann, Pawlenty, et al? Obama is arguably the most capable campaigner we’ve seen in modern times. I don’t know much about Perry, but I don’t think the others have the organization or experience to pull it off.

Rubio and Ryan in 2016.

troyriser_gopftw on July 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

He has that “it” factor. Like when you see a great band for the first time. Impossible to describe, but you know it when you see it.

johnboy on July 30, 2011 at 11:56 PM

And I liked the interchange with Kerry, who is actually a skilled debater. Beats guys speechifying at each other.

johnboy on July 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I wouldn’t sweat 2012. Øbama has a record that totally sucks. He’ll get the unicorn vote but that’s about it.

Perry in a rout.

Mojave Mark on July 31, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Someone please explain to me how we’re in danger of default. If current spending equals $3.8 trillion, revenues equals $2.6 trillion, then we have a $1.2 trillion deficit. Also, the U.S.’s $14.3 trillion debt brings with it $0.4 trillion in interest yearly.
As Dave Ramsey put it, let’s simplify this. A young doctor making $260,000 per year is spending $380,000 this year, which means that he’s overspending what he earns by $120,000. Ok, now let’s assume he owes $40,000 on his mortgage this year. Does this mean he’s going to lose his home? No. He still makes $260,000 a year. Will his children starve? No. That vacation to Hawaii, the gardener, and chef? Gone. Those are luxuries. It’s a matter of priorities. Food, shelter, clothing, transportation, and utilities, then go from there.
Now, $0.8 trillion will pay for Social Security. $0.7 trillion will pay for Medicare & Medicaid. $0.8 trillion will pay for DoD. That totals $2.3 trillion, plus the $0.4 trillion for the interest on the debt equals $2.7 trillion. Pretty close to covering all of it, assuming no one else gets paid. To say that Grandma won’t get her SS check, that kids won’t get medicine, and that Soldiers won’t get paid is a lie. Again, it’s a matter of priorities, a choice on the part of the government in how it spends taxpayer money.
Bottom line: we won’t default as a nation. The government won’t fail. The interest on the debt will get paid first, hence avoiding default, unless someone chooses to not pay the bill. (Also, if the interest is paid, then Moody’s and S&P won’t downgrade either.) Will the government still be able to fund the numerous wasteful, unconstitutional, and/or unnecessary programs it has? Nope, which is where Congress should be focusing its efforts, but as Mrs. Malkin stated, it chose the path of self-aggrandizement over its duty.

Send_Me on July 31, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Reagan vs. Mondale leaps to mind after watching Rubio vs. Kerry. This time, however, it works in reverse. How perfect would it have been to hear Sen. Rubio say “I will not denigrate the senator from Massachusetts because he’s spent too many years listening to the Beltway echochamber rather than spending time listening to the Heartland of America.”

In Sen. Kerry’s case, it isn’t just a matter of DC-itis. It’s a matter of him never being in touch with anyone who wasn’t an elitist.

LFRGary on July 31, 2011 at 3:42 AM

Masterful!

Sherman1864 on July 31, 2011 at 4:02 AM

This kid has just a whole lot of promise. I just hope there is a USA worth his while leading when it’s his time to try for the cat bird seat.

{^_^}

herself on July 31, 2011 at 4:13 AM

It’s a shame that Johnny Mac can’t be more like that guy Rubio.
(Sigh)

BigAlSouth on July 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Kerry: “But that was a symbolic vote from the One and Harry.”

Translate: The One and Harry were lying.

pearson on July 31, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Just watched it. Rubio is utterly fantastic. He gets it, because he understands it.

Can he legally be president? Does he qualify under the natrual-born citizen clause?

Mirimichi on July 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Kerry: “But that was a symbolic vote from the One and Harry.”

Translate: The One and Harry were lying.

pearson on July 31, 2011 at 8:07 AM

—If it was just a symbolic vote there would be no need to give the speech Obama did. He should have just voted.

CW on July 31, 2011 at 11:50 AM

This man gets it. People like him don’t come around often enough.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Great speech, dealt nicely with Senator Kerry (but shut him up in the end), he has a bright future. As far as keynote speaker, we could do a lot worse.

Send_Me on July 31, 2011 at 12:22 AM

You misunderstand the problem as Rubio explained it. The ratings agencies aren’t going to downgrade us just for not paying the mortgage. If you pay the mortgage and skip the car payment, your house isn’t repossessed, but your credit rating still goes down.

And a downgrade by this method would be costly – if we were only rated down to Italy, who is still paying their bills, all of them so far, our total interest cost would at least triple and perhaps quadruple. We’re talking almost $500 billion a year MORE in interest payments, every year. That’s a hole we can’t really dig our way out of.

So the idea we could not raise the debt ceiling and “avoid default” because we’re paying the bond interest on time is just misinformed.

Adjoran on August 1, 2011 at 4:35 AM

WOW, this is the first time I’ve listened to this man talk and he makes a lot of sense and I’ll look forward to pay attention to what he says in the future.

mixplix on August 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM

McCain and the other RINOs just peed their pants/dresses. Kerry didn’t derail Rubio as he planned, to belittle the importance of previous debt limit increase ‘deniers’, but instead provided Rubio with a platform to inspire and influence.

Geministorm on August 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Watching that speech makes my decision to vote Rubio, a pleasure.

nimrod on December 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM