Quotes of the day

posted at 8:45 pm on July 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

“There is no changing how Washington works. It doesn’t.

“Even if a bitterly divided Congress and President Barack Obama avoid a U.S. debt default by striking a last-second deal, as all sides expect, plenty of damage has been done.

“People are disgusted. Confidence in the political system is tanking. Nothing else is getting done in Washington. The markets are spooked. The global reputation of the United States has slipped.

“And the real kicker? This whole wrenching effort to shrink the debt may actually increase the debt.”

***
“‘Every day we wake up and think that stocks will send a shock up to Capitol Hill. And every day nothing happens,’ the source said.

“He’s still holding out hope for a panic sell-off at the end of the day.

“‘It’s the only thing that’s going to bring everyone together on this,’ he said.”

***
“Hundreds of readers wrote to CNNMoney saying how much they depend on Social Security payments to keep a roof over their heads, food on the table and medicine in their cabinet. Even a one-month delay could wreak havoc on their lives, not to mention send their stress levels soaring.

“Libby Rowe already knows how she’ll use her Aug. 3 Social Security disability check, which comes to about $1,000. She needs it to pay the mortgage and utility bills. If it doesn’t arrive, she won’t be able to put gas in her car and will have to cut back on groceries…

“‘I don’t know how anyone with a conscience can let our country get to this state just to make a point,’ said [Jeani] Crowe, who lives on a farm outside Fallon, Nev.”

***
“I find myself less interested in ‘life on this planet as we know it today’ than in life on this planet as we’re likely to know it tomorrow if Nancy Pelosi and her chums decline to reacquaint themselves with reality. If you kinda dig life on this planet as you know it, ask yourself this: What’s holding the joint up? As the old gag goes, if you owe the bank a thousand dollars, you have a problem; if you owe the bank a million dollars, the bank has a problem. If you owe the banks 15,000,000,000,000 dollars, the planet has a problem. Whatever comparisons one might make with Europe’s soi-disant ‘PIIGS’ re debt per capita or deficit-to-GDP ratio, the sheer hard numbers involved represent a threat to the planet that Portugal or Ireland does not. It also represents a threat to Americans…

“America has had two roles in a so-called ‘globalized’ world: America’s government was the guarantor of global order; America’s economy was the engine of global prosperity. Right now, both roles are up for grabs. And there are no takers for the former. Pace Nancy Pelosi, ‘life on this planet as we know it today’ is going to change, and very fast.”

***
“Look, the parties are not that far apart here. We’re in rough agreement on how much spending we need to cut to reduce our deficit. We agree on a process to tackle tax reform and entitlement reform. There are plenty of ways out of this mess. But there is very little time.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I hope the old media implode.

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I do too, but they won’t as long as Republicans cater to them by granting interviews. Republicans needs to stop supporting companies run by people that hate us.

slickwillie2001 on July 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM

My assumption is that they would let him debate as opposed to ridicule please do not impart your actions and attitudes on par with the Founders.

bluemarlin on July 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I wasn’t talking assumptions, I’m talking about the factual tendency of the Founding Fathers to turn to historical and philosophical allusions in their debates. This is well documented in books.

If you have a problem with the progressive income tax system, which you probably do given your embrace of cuts in dividend taxes, then you have a big problem with Lincoln.

bayam on July 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Obama better be very very worried.

Since HE is the one that got out front and center on the Social Security checks not being guaranteed and the Seniors didn’t storm Capitol Hill like he wanted…..

…..if Granny and Gramps don’t get their checks THEY GONNA BE SOME POOP to hit the political fan. And that breeze is gonna be directed primarily at Obama.

If they don’t get their checks his approval ratings could fall to the 20′s.

PappyD61 on July 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Harry put off the vote until 1:00pm tomorrow hoping to pressure the repubs into total cave. I think reid and bo are loosing and panicking,hang in there repubs.

tim c on July 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM

PappyD61 on July 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Pappy, first off I love the PappyPlan.
Second, it is up to the Tresury to pay the checks unless BIG BARRY countermands it. Then I will make sure everyone knows that. I got my SS check Wed.Some military checks have been paid also. It depends on your status and date of birth.

katy the mean old lady on July 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM

The only time that the two parties can’t co-exist is when one group forgets that it’s part of a democratic system predicated on opposing views reaching compromise.

bayam on July 30, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Go back to sucking Barry’s toes. Gee, I hope Palin doesn’t ruin his birthday by announcing.

katy the mean old lady on July 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM

SS is paid from FICA. Even if they do nothing SS will be paid.
So will the debt. EPA, Education and some others I’m not to sure about.

derft on July 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM

The Dems talk of compromise as if it were some sort of Holy Grail…the end-all be-all that will solve every problem facing America.

But to compromise on principles, to compromise and try to get by being just a little bit pregnant, is not going to solve anything. Sorta of like being told by your executioner that he will compromise…blindfold or none, hanging rather than electrocution, being cremated or being tossed in the rubbish heap. None of it matters. You are going to be dead in moments.

Compromise?

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM

There are three kinds of actors in the Debt Celing Soap Opera: the Principled, the Unprincipled, and the Politically Expedient/

kingsjester on July 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I get my SS around the 10th. There is no way they would dare to not send out the checks. Take about a crap storm on DC. Do it Barry.

derft on July 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM

bayam on July 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Please take your own advice and look at history and and look up which path is more successful in saving an economy and the country, cutting spending and tax rates or raising taxes and spending more. There are plenty of examples to look at. You are invoking Lincoln to promote the progressive tax system, did he enact the permanent income tax? I do not think that happened until around 1913 or so. To answer your question, yes, I do have a problem with the progressive tax system!

bluemarlin on July 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM

bayam on July 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Quick!
Was Lincoln a Founding Father?
No cheating now.

Electrongod on July 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Was Lincoln a Founding Father?
No cheating now.

Electrongod on July 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Don’t tell me bayam is Mika?

darwin-t on July 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Electrongod on July 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I believe he came along four score and about seven years after the Founding.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Don’t tell me bayam is Mika?

darwin-t on July 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Mika Brzezinski?
I doubt it. But you never know.
Hummm.

Electrongod on July 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Electrongod on July 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Not to prolong the Lincoln motif, but, had Lincoln “compromised” in 1860 there would have been no Civil War (War Between the States/War of the Rebellion) and Lincoln would have been a one-term President of a greatly smaller United States.

Sometimes, you simply cannot nor should not compromise.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Hang in there, Repubs… No more deals…

Khun Joe on July 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM

The Left plays the same semantic games with the word compromise that they do with bipartisan.

onlineanalyst on July 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Who’s the douchebag in the photo accompanying this topic?

Bishop on July 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Harry Reid postpones a vote until tomorrow afternoon? Another postponement? Appears that Reid does not have his “half” of the Senate in lock-step.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM

I wish we could grow some spine on this.

No matter what happens we will be painted as monsters.

Call his bluff. Go for everything! No more of this compromise BS.

And if Barry sets it all on fire then let’s pour on the Gas. Half the country votes for a living. Let’s see them survive when the paychecks stop.

All my life I’ve seen conservatives painted as demons and monsters. Maybe it’s time we acted the part.

Chaz706 on July 30, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Bishop on July 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Not sure, but I’ve been told he is the most smartest, bestest President evah, who will make the oceans recede, bring light into the world and the planet will know peace for the first time, and he is clean and articulate, too. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm…

In short…a putz.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

SouthernGent on July 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Oh good grief. Is that just local news; hadn’t heard it.

katy on July 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Another good one, for sure. I had forgotten about that one.

Firefly_76 on July 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

In short…a putz.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I agree..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Tax reform ? Who the F does Obama think he’s kidding. The alleged “deadline” is 2 days away. No way do I want anyone writing, let alone voting on a last second “tax reform” bill.

No thanks. You want to reform the tax code ? Great. You have another 18 months or so to do it. NOW is not the time for that. May ? June ? That would have been fine. Instead you liberal morons were busy spinning god awful rhetoric and NOW you want tax reform ? Yeah, good one.

deadrody on July 31, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Confidence in the political system is tanking.

I don’t think it’s confidence in the political system that is tanking. I think it’s confidence in the politicians that is tanking.

Lon Chaney on July 31, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Baloney. It’s been going up, up and away for some time and has gone to Warp 9 with Space Cadet Barackito Obamaolini.

Lon Chaney on July 31, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Who’s the douchebag in the photo accompanying this topic?

Bishop on July 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM

If you go to Websters on-line…

… you will find the photo next to the defenition of “Jackalope”.

Seven Percent Solution on July 31, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Only one of the authors of these QOD little speeches made much sense, and that one made a lot of sense. So I click that link and … guess what? … it’s Mark Stein.

Lon Chaney on July 31, 2011 at 12:35 AM

A reminder that the USA exceeded our debt limit in late 2009, and the sky didn’t fall: U.S. National Debt Tops Debt Limit

Note the date of the article, -December 16, 2009.

slickwillie2001 on July 31, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Hunchback with man-hands: Ghastly

slickwillie2001 on July 31, 2011 at 12:59 AM

bayam on July 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I have no problem with Lincoln, seeing how he is deceased and all.

I do have a problem with the “progressive income tax system” and if you don’t like it, you are worse than Hitler. So there.

Try another angle, azzhole; we’ve already covered these roads.

You, bayam, explain how the folks that are already shouldering 100% of the tax burden should pay more.

The top half, give or take, are already carrying the burden alone. Here you and your liberal comrades come along and want to add to the tax-paying folks’ burden; yet you offer no avenue for the non-paying percentile to share in their obligation. How “liberal” of you, and I use the term loosely.

You and your ilk are the most hypocritical bunch of lying snobs that I’ve ever encountered; even considering that I’ve been to Europe — so that means you really, really suck.

hillbillyjim on July 31, 2011 at 3:10 AM

bayam on July 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

If you have a problem with consensual sex between adults, which you probably do given your embrace of goat-humping desert dwellers, then you have a big problem with John Travolta.

hillbillyjim on July 31, 2011 at 3:23 AM

Democrats have controlled Congress and the White House for the past two years. Prior to that they Controlled Congress while Bush was in office. No balanced budget offered by Democrats. No balanced budget offered by President Obama. The Republicans offered two versions. Three if you count Paul Ryan’s. And here sits the president criticizing Republicans for offering a plan that he and the Democrats said is dead on arrival. Will someone explain to me how any American can keep this guy in office in 2012? Democrats in 2012? They should be ashamed of themselves for assisting Democrats in destroying America.

afotia on July 31, 2011 at 6:19 AM

I have a problem with almost 50% of the population not paying federal income taxes and getting a check sent to them from the feds to boot. The BS about the rich should pay their fair share. Whats fair here, paying the most or paying nothing. Why the silence from the Progressives?

mixplix on July 31, 2011 at 6:32 AM

This situation could not be made more simple for the Right. The people who hate you are going to hate you no matter what you do, so for once, do what is right, Right. No compromise on the only steps to eliminate deficits and reduce debt. No increase in the limit. Balance the budget.

Make the progressives show their hand. It isn’t a game of chicken, it’s not even politics anymore. It’s doing the only thing which will work.

Freelancer on July 31, 2011 at 10:08 AM

My sister is 65, is forced by the govt. to be on Medicare and doesn’t
collect SS yet. I think she has to be 66 1/2 or 67 or
somewhere around those ages in order to collect.

She still works (self employed) and NOW pays more for her
health insurance through Medicare. How’s this you ask?
Well, for starters she pays double to Medicare because
she makes over $75,000.00; then pays for supplemental insurance and prescription drug coverage. She HAS to have
Medicare, there are no other options other than self funding which she doesn’t have the money for.

I know this doesn’t apply to everyone, however, it is sort of funny with all the chatter about “old people” living
off of government.

I believe old people (and young) paid into Medicare to the tune of __%? I am not sure of the percentage. It is a payroll deduction.

So, to those of you harping on “old people” – zip your trap!
Those are your grandparents who paid their taxes, worked
their asses off, fought in our wars and NEVER went on welfare because they thought it was demeaning.

Amjean on July 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

mixplix on July 31, 2011 at 6:32 AM
Its called “earned income credit” I think. I know about it
because my ner do well sister asked me to help her with her taxes – she made hardly anything because she is too lazy and alcoholic to work. She told me she should get $1500.00 back. I responded with “Well, you didn’t even pay $1500.00
in taxes!” She grabbed the paperwork from me and said,
“I get paid by the govt. if I don’t earn enough”; I will
find someone else that knows what they are doing (for free,
of course)”

Amjean on July 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM

How long, after a deal is signed, will it take Chuck Schumer to be out there complaining about the Republicans and the Tea Party, and tell the world how much “compromising” the Democrats had to do?

I also wonder how much Boehner’s speech, on the House floor, had to do with the action taking place. He really put it out there about how much he had stuck his neck out and how the Democrats only could say no. He did a great job and I didn’t notice one tear!!!

Vote Republican and only be called a racist one more time.

bflat879 on July 31, 2011 at 12:37 PM

There is a chilling analogy to the way the Obamacrats operate. Stories were told of the Al Queida raping women in Afghanistan, then accusing the women of Adultery, taking them to the soccer field and stoning them to death or beheading them. The democrats have raped the American taxpayers and are trying to shift the guilt to the voters who elected the Tea Party to stop them. It is not working as well in the US as in the muslim world!

Marco on July 31, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Argument by sob story. How typically liberal.

There Goes The Neighborhood on August 1, 2011 at 1:55 AM

In that picture of O, did they light him from below to make him look more white? Or what?

I know it reminds ME of the guy who holds a flashlight under his chin to look scary on Halloween.

jcw46 on August 1, 2011 at 4:04 AM