Power Line Prize runner-up: “Don’t You See?”

posted at 3:40 pm on July 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

My friends at Power Line have held a contest for the last few weeks for artists and writers to capture the spirit of the conservative grassroots, with prizes for the best entries totaling $100,000. John Hinderaker has been posting the top 10 entries most of this week, so be sure to catch up to the fine works that Power Line has chosen as the best in class. This song, called “Don’t You See?”, sounds like it could be a Tea Party anthem, and it got the silver medal in the contest:

It’s a worthy winner. It’s well produced, written, and performed, although it’s too bad it doesn’t have a video track to go with it. Power Line has the lyrics at the post linked above, but the song is sung so clearly that they come across very clearly.

Power Line will be announcing the grand prize winner later this week, but be sure to check out the entries they have been posting all week, too.

Comments

Oh good God.

I saw that stupid talking babies one.

This one is worse.

Is there honestly no talent on the right side for this type of thing?

Aquateen Hungerforce on July 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM

the ads down by Palin’s outfit during the 2010 elections captured it very well. Esp the first one and the “together” ad”

unseen on July 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Been done, and better.

RDE2010 on July 30, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Well, of course it’s a county western song! What else did you expect from these gun toten, Bible thumping, red neck tea partying idiots?

Rod on July 30, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I like this video and Song the best.

It’s too late to apologize….

portlandon on July 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Ugh!

huckleberryfriend on July 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Damn Yankees“Don’t Tread On Me”

Tony737 on July 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Makes me want to vote Democrat. How about something for the 21st century.

elfman on July 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Obama sucks. We suck less.

faraway on July 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Dated, but I like There’s Nothing Wrong with Capitalism

elfman on July 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I like this one.

Bigfoot on July 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM

lol

AUH2O on July 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Tony737 on July 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM

ElectricPhase on July 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM

In all seriousness though, Country Boy by Aaron Lewis is about as good as you can get for a tea party song. And I’m normally not even a big country fan.

AUH2O on July 30, 2011 at 4:23 PM

That was an awful performance. The vocals are akin to Ed and Mitch singing on a NARN broadcast. Sorry but I’m giving it a thumbs down.

simkeith on July 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM

After reading this tripe, I don’t think Kathleen Parker is much of a fan:

The Tea Fragger Party

Hubris is no one’s friend, and irony is a nag. The Tea Partyers who wanted to oust Barack Obama have greatly enhanced his chances for reelection by undermining their own leader and damaging the country in the process. The debt ceiling may have been raised and the crisis averted by the time this column appears, but that event should not erase the memory of what transpired. The Tea Party was a movement that changed the conversation in Washington, but it has steeped too long and has become toxic.

It’s time to toss it out.

It’s on, folks.

jondun5 on July 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I don’t think children belong in Politics… it’s creepy. They’ve not come to an age where the can make their own decisions, so that means their tools of the person standing next to them… leave the kids at home. let them watch… but not holding abortion signs and singing chants for their parents party.

the song sounds good, would rather hear an adult singing it.

Kaptain Amerika on July 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM

portlandon on July 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I love that one. I’m also partial to this one.

DrMagnolias on July 30, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Now Let me be

That’s America…
and that’s who I am
Dear Uncle Sam

VERSE 2:
Stop tryin’ to give me
what you think that I need,
I’d rather have my family
watchin’ over me

gas tax
estate tax
every breath I take tax

that tax
this tax
even got a gift tax

taxes when we use the phone
taxes when we sell our home

payroll tax
income tax
you’re missing all the simple facts

CHORUS

And then there’s this:

Mr. Nyberg is a well-known musician who has conducted orchestras as far away as Prague, scored a number of films and written television commercials, as well as composing for events like the Miss America Pageant and the World Series. I think “Don’t You See?” is a terrific song, and the lyrics are simple but profound. I asked Mr. Nyberg about his song; he responded, in part:

The focus of my message is really in the hook – “Dear Uncle Sam – the more you give me the less I have.” It’s saying that even with the best intentions, all the bloated government entitlements that are supposed to help us end up leaving us worse off, because we can’t afford them, thus causing taxes to go up. So they give us something, but end up taking more back. I thought if I could express that from a child’s point of view, I good drive home that simple truth.

r keller on July 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Propaganda on either side is creepy; especially when using children. This is as bad as those school teachers doing the Obama mmm-mmm-mmm chants. Please stop. Now.

khacha on July 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Corny at best.

karlant on July 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM

What’s with the sucky video interface that won’t let you adjust the volume?

Anon Y. Mous on July 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM

A fine choice for the silver medal…

Khun Joe on July 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I am not a fan but you guys feel free to lend your talents at any time.

EnochCain on July 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Why let amateurs handle it when pros put out great stuff like this:
and this:

itsnotaboutme on July 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Gads. Everyone is off the rails here — Morrissey in one direction (his usual over-the-top cheerleading), everyone else in the other direction (grouchy curmudgeons).

It’s a nice song, with a cute performance from a 9-year-old. Leave it at that.

Splashman on July 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Puke.

lexhamfox on July 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I liked it a lot, maybe because I’m a mom. I thought it was open and honest, the kid can sing and adds a haunting innocence to it, and I thought it was a good tune. The idea is to produce art – be it video, comics, songs, pictures that educates the next generation about what they are facing with the debt. This song met the criteria and then some.

It’s a beautiful Saturday – lighten up and enjoy it!

piglet on July 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Geez, tough crowd. I liked it a lot. Catchy tune and a great chorus.

Aardvark on July 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Very cute. Has kind of a Taylor Swift melody and the “rap” bridge toward the end was a nice twist. Watched the other videos, and I agree that this piece deserves at least the silver medal. With video and a professional production, this could easily go viral.

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Ed, by all means, post the winner of the contest when it comes out. Should be good.

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 6:19 PM

khacha on July 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I generally share your concern about the kids and political propaganda. But this was a politically-defined contest with a chance to win real money, and they did, $15,000. (Oh no, now somebody’s going to claim a violation of the child labor laws, too.)

Back to the point, those government school teachers were doing more than just using children to help Obama, they were also indoctrinating them at the same time, whereas this production was written and approved by the girl’s parents, quite a difference. Don’t know about you but I indoctrinate my kids every single day in conservative political thought. Of course, my younger son, age 9 also, heard the song and wants to meet the girl, imagine that.

TXUS on July 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM

A critic is a legless man who teaches running.

- Channing Pollock

itsspideyman on July 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM

The Kid and her Old Man have a better shot at reaching out to people at the tipping point and changing hearts and minds than 99.9% of posters at HA, including yours truly.

Bruno Strozek on July 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM

portlandon on July 30, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I love that one. I’m also partial to this one.

DrMagnolias on July 30, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Dang, Dr. M, that was good. LINK

The Tea Party has reached critical mass. The Tea Party is a Mega-Trend, not some fleeting fad. Its amorphous, ad hoc, fleet-footed and decentralized; the movement cannot be stopped.

And we are not about to let a bunch of word-smithing commentators dissuade us with their thinly veiled Psy-Op; trying to wish-cast us into obscurity.

It is they who will experience the pain in having to be held accountable from now on. We are watching, we are growing, and the numbers are on our side; we are tipping the scale.

Long Live the Tea Party :)

Geochelone on July 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Motor City Madman, Ted Nugent. Bound And Gagged…

ndanielson on July 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM

THIS…..

tencole on July 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Nice.

ndanielson on July 30, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Great, a song that lends itself to be so easily mocked. That’s what the tea party needs.

keep the change on July 30, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I liked the song. A version with lyrics should be out on youtube ASAP. And it won’t go viral without some video, but again, make a version with lyrics. People today just aren’t going to pass along a music-only track.

G. Charles on July 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

God, I sure hope this doesn’t become any kind of anthem for the Tea Party…. how could you even think that? Terrible as an anthem.

Come on…. there have to be much better ones than this. Yikes.

PhilipJames on July 30, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Terrible in every way.

Labamigo on July 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Want to hear a tune that is attached to Sarah Palin…
sung by Superchick, a Christian rock group…
perfect for rallies.

PhilipJames on July 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM

How many sites and videos like the one linked below that exist to support Sarah Palin do you think the other pretenders have? That they haven’t actually paid for?
These Sarah supporting sites and videos are just waiting and once Sarah announces… maybe jsut priort to or at Sarahstock in Waukee, Iowa on Sept.3rd… who knows… but there will be even more of these everywhere once that happens. The stealth army that was first noticed recently in Iowa really does exist.

PhilipJames on July 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Krista Branch’s two songs are still my top faves for Tea Party anthems:

Of the two I like “Remember Who We Are” the best.

theotherone on July 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM

itsspideyman on July 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Or this: “A critic is one who, having no talent of his own, feels competent to judge the work of others.” – Robert Heinlein

Seriously, folks… I’m sure many of you read Powerline, so you knew the contest was in process. If you could have done better… why didn’t you? If you didn’t need the cash prize, I’d gladly have taken it off your hands (Got laid off myself yesterday).

psrch on July 31, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I’m sorry, this is a great song, and very catchy, upbeat.

But the producers must be utter imbeciles to upload this to YouTube without any sort of visual track attacked to it.

For that reason alone, it’s a loser. Pick another song that has a visual attached to it.

ericdondero on July 31, 2011 at 10:31 AM

psrch on July 31, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Well put. As a Heinlein fan myself I should have remembered it.

itsspideyman on July 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Why let amateurs handle it when pros put out great stuff like this:
and this:

itsnotaboutme on July 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Excellent. The first had me rolling.

elfman on July 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Here’s another song that would be fun at future Tea Party Rallies:

My favorite lines from the song are:

They think big thoughts and they dream big dreams
But its another man’s sweat who pays for those schemes

and

When the stuff hits the fan, they say “Don’t look at me”
If you got trouble, blame 43

And this song is already ticking off liberals as you can see in this news story about the song’s author, Brian Glover:

The young man who wrote and sings this is a middle school coach who was fired after sending it around on HIS OWN email account (read: Free Speech). He happens to be a Republican and a Tea Partier.

Enjoy!