Quotes of the day

posted at 10:43 pm on July 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Now, some establishment Republicans are wondering if they got more than they bargained for. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, for instance, strongly opposed the health care legislation, making common cause with the tea party. But this month the chamber swung solidly behind Boehner’s original debt-ceiling bill. It suffered embarrassment with all the other groups and individuals forced to swallow the tea partyers’ demands.

“Republican campaign strategists are weighing the tea party’s valuable energy against the possibility that it might push the party away from mainstream politics, which appeal to crucial independent voters. A Pew Research poll found that 68 percent of American voters want lawmakers to compromise on the debt ceiling and default issue, even it means striking a deal they disagree with. Fewer than one in four said lawmakers should stand by their principles even if it leads to a default on U.S. obligations.

“Veteran lawmakers and congressional staffers are struck by the faith — be it admirable or naive — that many tea party advocates seem to have in what they consider the moral rightness of their ideas. Some GOP staffers privately roll their eyes at accounts of House members insisting that Senate Democrats will suddenly come to their senses and embrace the balanced budget agreement, even though those senators have criticized the proposal for years.”

***
“Unfortunately for the country, which is poised to lose its place as the world’s most-trusted treasury and suffer economic repercussions we can ill afford, the stakes in this political game are too high to be in the hands of Tea Partyers who mistakenly think they have a mandate. Their sweep in the 2010 election was the exclusive result of anti-Obama sentiment and the sense that the president, in creating a health-care plan instead of focusing on jobs, had overplayed his hand. Invariably, as political pendulums swing, the victors become the very thing they sought to defeat.

“Who’s overplaying their hand now?…

“Hubris is no one’s friend, and irony is a nag. The Tea Partyers who wanted to oust Barack Obama have greatly enhanced his chances for reelection by undermining their own leader and damaging the country in the process. The debt ceiling may have been raised and the crisis averted by the time this column appears, but that event should not erase the memory of what transpired. The Tea Party was a movement that changed the conversation in Washington, but it has steeped too long and has become toxic.”

***
“‘Well, just, watch out, ‘Everyone I talk to still believes in contested primaries.’ God bless her, Sarah Palin’s saying that in a message she put out,’ Ingraham said.

“She proceeded to run through a list of conservatives who have endorsed Boehner’s plan, quipping sarcastically: ‘I guess we’re threatening, implicitly, explicitly, Paul Ryan, Col. Allen West, Mike Pence is gonna be out of the House of Representatives. He’ll be the governor of Indiana. Maybe we can run someone else as governor of Indiana, to run for the governorship, ’cause Pence is obviously a sellout. Can I have the whole list of sellouts? I need the list so I can make sure I understand who’s going to get the primary challenge.’

“‘It’s a very odd way to go about things if we have a common goal,’ Ingraham continued, urging tea party-aligned Republicans to seek a ‘real and meaningful’ role — ‘not just, ok, I’m the spoiler here. I stood on principle, everybody else is impure.’”

***

***
Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I hope Perry and Palin both run.

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Actually, I hope one of them bows out and supports the other. I love Palin, but the media has done such a hit job on her that I tend to believe her time is coming later. If Perry runs, and she supports him, he may make her Sec. of Energy, then move her to State. That would be the ideal path for her to the Presidency. But if she decided to run now, I would support her.

canopfor — where are ye?

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Kataklysmic on July 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Interesting comparison, two conservatives with very different styles but receiving very similar treatment. I would think it is tougher on Justice Roberts since he stays out of the limelight.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Recent polls on the media by Gallup and Opinion Research (for the Hill) indicate that a majority of Americans say the media is “untrustworthy, biased and unethical” and will “slant the news to favor candidates they support.” With that said, the media still packs a real punch particularly with the poorly educated and those who only follow politics during election years.

bw222 on July 30, 2011 at 2:44 AM

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:40 AM

You make good points..Maybe she runs in 2012..I have no clue..:)

PS..I agree..We miss canopfor badly..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:44 AM

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:40 AM

I hope she doesn’t go to Congress if she ever wants the presidency. Congress apparently makes you stupid. I’m hoping Rubio doesn’t stay there too long.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM

“Man, you have got to put that crack pipe down.”

“Can’t do it! It’s the Tea Party’s fault!”

AshleyTKing on July 30, 2011 at 2:47 AM

I’m hoping Rubio doesn’t stay there too long.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM

There might be big plans for Rubio..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I’m hoping Rubio doesn’t stay there too long.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM

I have high hopes for him.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:48 AM John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:49 AM

I totally agree.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Stop lisping!!!

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I’m suppose to get up at 5:30, I am going to be very sad. Time to hit the hay before KingGold shows up, I think he’s the only crackpot that hasn’t blown throw this thread. Good night everyone and sweet dreams.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Stop lisping!!!

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I am trying!..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Later Cindy..Enjoyed it..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM

I appreciate you and your even temper. I know it can’t always be easy.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM

What I find hilarious about the dog and pony show going on between Boehner and Reid right now is that even though a lot of people can see the emperor is naked, Boehner/Reid still carry on, oblivious to the fact that so many are watching. He must realize a lot of us are onto the game, right? I think so but I’m only guessing.

So the D and R sides, who have virtually identical bills from a big picture point of view, are trying to convince everybody that they are fighting over something that actually matters, when in truth both sides bills hike the credit limit immediately while promising cuts in 10 years, promises of the like that have never, ever been kept before. When they’ve finished “compromising” they still have essentially the same deal.

I have no idea why they continue the charade, they aught to just ram a clean debt ceiling hike through, forget all of the lies, and be done with it. At least that way it would be honest. Why all the acting? That’s a rhetorical question, of course, because the acting is just part of the dog and pony show, and the show is meant to convince us that the Ruling Class is working hard on our behalf. Just don’t look under the hood to check for a motor like a Hobbit.

FloatingRock on July 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Also College Football is coming soon..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Thanks but you all are way better at it than me..I have learned from some of the best here at Hot Air..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Remember the theme song of the R-evolution? That’s right–it was “Yankee Doodle.” A song written to ridicule us, to emphasize our embarrassing status in the face of the blue-blooded British. So did our forefathers hang their heads? Nope, they hung some British instead, embraced “Yankee Doodle,” made it into the standard marching song, and played it until it drove the British nuts. Guaranteed, when the British high command quit New York, got on their ships with thousands of loyalists in tow, they had to stuff cotton in their ears if they didn’t want to hear the strains of their anthem of ridicule sung in their disgraced, defeated faces. It echoed all the way back to London.

This needs to be the theme song of the Tea Party and it should be sung in ridicule at the Neo-British “Blue Bloods” like Bohner and Noonen, et all, until they all either leave Washington or are driven nuts.

Lon Chaney on July 30, 2011 at 3:06 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I’ve heard some on Rush/Hannity/Levin. Just didn’t realize it was that extensive. Maybe it’s more on this site due to the voting and discussions this past couple of months. I read and comment on a couple of other sites; could be the difference in what politics are being discussed.

McCain doesn’t surprise me at all. I’m quite familiar with not only him, but all of the Health Care Issue House & Senate characters: I’ve been fairly active since 2007.

Well, going by what Rush says that you know who the Dems are afraid of by who they attack would apply. The TP is a threat.

Thanks again.

bluefox on July 30, 2011 at 3:07 AM

You can tell there is a coordinated attempt to make the Tea Party the villain of all time. It’s always been a target but now it’s full blown war. And yes, I am so very tired of crisis mode, I was hoping that once the Republicans got the House that they would try not to let these situations happen but here we are again.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 2:23 AM

And it doesn’t make a bit of sense because they stopped pushing CCB before they even started. How can the tea party be to blame for the failure of all of the secret backroom deals we had nothing to do with when the tea party path would have been a relatively open and transparent process like in the good old days? It doesn’t make a bit of sense. They undermine our effort, CCB, but expect us to vote for their naked-emperor sham-bills? They’re nuts!

FloatingRock on July 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM

PS..I agree..We miss canopfor badly..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Still no word? No news at all?

HA sure could use his awesome Google-Fu right about now.
no sarc.
I really hope he’s ok.

soundingboard on July 30, 2011 at 3:28 AM

“Politics is the art of the possible.”

Tea Party needs to set it sights on 2012.

Everything else is a waste of time.

rickyricardo on July 30, 2011 at 4:07 AM

FloatingRock on July 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Did you not notice that CCB came up and was tabled in the Senate? Now, it takes 51 Senators to take it off the table, do you have any candidates? Assume all 47 Republicans are with us, name the Democrats who will cross over!

What’s that? You can’t? Because there aren’t any? Wow, go figure . . .

I’m waiting for the brilliant plan that would force Democrats to fold.

Adjoran on July 30, 2011 at 4:42 AM

When Mexicans start leaving California and returning to Mexico because the job prospects are better, you know there is a serious problem:

crosspatch on July 30, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Looks like the U.S military (Army) is lying again.

“Iraq remains an extraordinarily dangerous place to work,” Bowen concluded in his 172-page quarterly report to Congress and the Obama administration on progress — and setbacks — in Iraq. “It is less safe, in my judgment, than 12 months ago.”

Bowen accused the U.S. military of glossing over Iraq’s instability, noting a statement in late May by the U.S. military that described Iraq’s security trends as “very, very positive” — but only when compared to 2007, when the country was on the brink of civil war. In contrast, Bowen talked of “the very real fragility” of national security in Iraq today.

A spokesman for the U.S. military in Iraq declined to respond.

Stuart W. Bowen Jr. is the U.S. Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction.

Lon Chaney on July 30, 2011 at 6:17 AM

Considering what the McConnell/Reid bill is shaping up to look like, I think we’ve been snookered again. The story about the president losing sleep might have been the bridge too far. D.C. wins again.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM

The people do not like it when some zealot shoves something down their throats…whether that true believer is on the right or the left.

The thing is in order to repeal Obamacare and do other big things like that, Republicans need votes…they need people in office. If the Tea Party forces them to do what the people do not approve of, then they lose. That would be stupid. In fact, none of these know what would happen if there was a default. If it was perceived that they pushed the country into a worse situation, they might well damage their own credibility beyond repair.

Sometimes life is like going to the dentist. You have to do things you do not want to do. The Tea Party should remember that.

Terrye on July 30, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Laura Ingraham has shown her true colors. Sold her soul for invites to DC cocktail parties.

Her radio show has turned into either 1}the Catholic hour, 2}How to raise perfect children or 3)Why I love RINO men … i.e. Christie, Jebbie, Mittens.

Her show is intolerable… her call screeners are rude and arrogant, which is why I have not listened to it in over 2 years.

stenwin77 on July 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM

I do not think it is a question of being snookered, with the Democrats controlling the Senate and the White House it went without saying that the final product would not be something most Tea Partiers like…however, the problem is the Tea Party is not the whole country. People need to remember that, it is not as if the will of the people is immaterial. And if they want a deal and if the President has to sign it and some Democrats have to vote for it..then the truth is no one gets snookered.

If the final deal contains no tax increases and some spending cuts..then the conservatives should declare victory and move onto the next battle.

Terrye on July 30, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Actually Laura Ingraham has acted like a sane and rational person who does not think it is a good idea to help Obama win reelection. Honestly, some people are just beyond reason on this issue and they could care less what the people want. It is not about the DC coctail parties for heavens sakes…in poll after poll the people say they want a deal and if the Tea Party ignores that it is no different than the Democrats ignoring all those polls that said the people did not want Obamacare. It is arrogant to assume that you speak for the people. It is arrogant to assume that they want to see the economy put in a worse place just so you can prove a point.
stenwin77 on July 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Terrye on July 30, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Terrye on July 30, 2011 at 6:49 AM

The Tea Party needs to look to Van Jones and his ilk to take a lesson on how this game of incremental change is played.

Learn from the progressives; don’t act like petulant children who want it all NOW.

rickyricardo on July 30, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Terrye on July 30, 2011 at 6:49 AM

66% of the people wanted CCB. how is that shoving it down some one’s throat?

unseen on July 30, 2011 at 7:21 AM

stenwin77 on July 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM

I respectfully disagree with your assessment, as I have with Laura on the debt ceiling stand she took. She has been a steadfast supporter of all things conservative and the tea party. And no, she does not support Jeb or Mitt…don’t know about Christie. she doesn’t throw her religion in one’s face, but is trying to expose the sick culture we live in, and yes, does have on guests who have written about how to keep kids on the right track, values-wise. I see nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, I think it’s a great public service. I don’t think she has time for cocktail parties, with three adopted children, a radio show, writing, hosting, etc.

4Freedom on July 30, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Here’s my take on the Debt Ceiling soap opera.

kingsjester on July 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I love how the Tea Party gets all sorts of advice on how they should operate on these threads by people who are not Tea Party supporters. Most of these folks are just trying to get the Tea Party to be more like the establishment republicans. Pathetic.

KickandSwimMom on July 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

stenwin77 on July 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM

translation: “I’m so scared of differing viewpoints that even Laura I is a traitorous lefty! They are all out to get us! Eleventyeleven….”

Bradky on July 30, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Terrye on July 30, 2011 at 6:53 AM

But don’t you get it… we must have blood to be victorious. Never mind we only control one of the two chambers and have an opposition party president. We want it and we want it NOW. If you don’t agree with that then you are one of the enemy… Doesn’t matter that what we demand has no chance of passing… it is the principle don’t you say…

/”Heavy Sarcasm tag”

Bradky on July 30, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Nice post KJ

The gall of harry asking for help when he trashes the gop every step of the way

cmsinaz on July 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I’m sure the Chamber of Commerce includes plenty of businesses that don’t want to be stiffed on the money owed to them by the government.

Count to 10 on July 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Typical . . . everybody is behind the brave Tea Party dissenters and defenders of the Constitution until the going gets tough, then they crumble like a sand castle on a storm laden beach.

rplat on July 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

cmsinaz on July 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Thank you, ma’am. That’s why I categorized Dinghy Harry Reid as one of the “Politically Expedient”.

kingsjester on July 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Indeed KJ

cmsinaz on July 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

What did the people ‘get’ with either Boehner bill the house passed? The CCB raised the debt ceiling and the Friday bill did as well. Neither bill cut any meaningful spending. The balance part would have taken years to become an amendment and we’ll all be living in the poor house by that time. This is what we compromised our principles for? When you are getting nothing in return, it’s not a good ‘deal’. The DC dance continues with no music.

Kissmygrits on July 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Kissmygrits on July 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Yep. What irks me most is the establishment republicans twisted the conservative tea party members arms to sign onto a bill that wastes their political capital with their constituencies for nothing–other than to prop up the establishment.

KickandSwimMom on July 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I’m waiting for the brilliant plan that would force Democrats to fold.

Adjoran on July 30, 2011 at 4:42 AM

It is called public pressure. The Tea Party is a reflection of what Americans are expecting from Washington. We stick to our guns and the public pressure will force them into compliance. I submit that Obama’s call for Americans to call their congress critters has back fired in his face. If it had produced an outcry from Americans to save their SS checks, the demrats would be pushing revenue increases, no tax cuts, increased spending, etc. As it is they are moderating their demands. We are winning and it’s time to kick these dirty 8astard traitors while we’ve got them on their knees! Dem and RINO alike….kick the 4ell out of them!

csdeven on July 30, 2011 at 9:14 AM

rickyricardo on July 30, 2011 at 7:11 AM

In this case you’re wrong. Our situation is now so dire that only drastic change will save the country. Just managing the decline is not good enough and will result in our children’s children being impoverished.

fossten on July 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM

What’s that? You can’t? Because there aren’t any? Wow, go figure . . .

I’m waiting for the brilliant plan that would force Democrats to fold.

Adjoran on July 30, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Um, it’s called ‘the ticking clock’ and ‘public pressure,’ genius.

fossten on July 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM

How serious is the GOP about reducing the debt?

Well, after passing Boenher’s bill, do you know what they did?

Passed a bill unanimously to open a new post office in Mississippi, because we can afford to waste the money. Forgive me if I don’t trust the stupid GOP!

Pattosensei on July 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM

68 percent of Americans are OK with us hitting the debt wall at 100 MPH. They are in the majority, but they are wrong.

Not to paint Congress as a parent and the citizens as children – but if your kids all voted to do something reckless, and threatened to hate you for the rest of their lives if you didn’t allow it, would you allow it?

disa on July 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM

A man who doesn’t know what he believes will fall for anything.

Herb on July 30, 2011 at 9:32 AM

rickyricardo on July 30, 2011 at 7:11 AM

I think the demands from the Tea Party are incremental. A BBA would take years to bring to final passage. The hurdle has always been our federal elected officials. We have an opportunity to squeeze those who stand in the way of it and I’m not sure we will have them in a position to get the vote out of them. Americans are ready to take the hit now. They aren’t scared by the threats of default because everyone of us know someone who has defaulted because of this economy. And guess what? they survived and are rebuilding their lives. So we are ready for it, especially if it means passing legislation that shackles these deadbeat losers permanently. We will compromise on reforming the entitlement system and repair it over the course of years.

csdeven on July 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM

These are not Sarah Palin’s words. They are the words of Laura Ingraham. Sarah would never, ever say those things. Her only mission is to defeat Obama in every way. So it is becoming more obvious as the days go by that the Tea Party is becoming more and more effective.

Unless you are in a tea party and participate in those activities you will not understand what is going on and tend to imprint your ideas on the tea party. We should have a home in the Republican Party. The planks are there in the Republican’s platform. Unfortunately, the Republicans haven’t stood on them for years or think that they can ignore them. The ones that are complaining about the tea party and making things up as in Laura and consequently AP, are the ones that need to re-examine what they believe and decide if they want to promote Freedom and the Constitution or the Democrat Party. It has come to that.

The Tea Party’s fight is with Obama and the Democrats. Now we discover that the Republicans can’t wait to make deals with them. They negotiate like loosers and compromise our freedom. We are over that. That is why we sent those Tea Pary Republicans to Congress only to have Senator McCain call them/us Hobbits. Really? We are going to wear that as a badge of honor.

If the Republicans had been doing what they needed to be doing all along there would never be a Tea Party. The DC Republicans still do not understand. The leadership doesn’t understand. It’s a new/old day in America where we need to adhere to the Constitution. Too bad Laura doesn’t understand. Too bad some of our Republican friends don’t understand.

Sarah calls us Constitutional Conservatives. She also calls us Tea Party-Americans. Having said that she understands that we are not a political party nor do we want to be one. She doesn’t make things up about us nor will she speak ill of the ones that faltered on Friday.

As a Tea Party we are just plodding on with our Constitution education and getting the word out despite the media and shining the light of truth on our Republican friends that need an attitude adjustment. We are pretty sure we signed up more folks at the fair than the Republicans, because we are all about the Constitution and education of the public. The Democrats didn’t even show up. There is progress in there somewhere despite the Republicans that don’t follow their own platform.

BetseyRoss on July 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Not to paint Congress as a parent and the citizens as children –

Then don’t. We aren’t children. We are adults who manage our finances in a responsible manner. These politicians are the same ones who voted for the bailouts, TARP, etc. They got their freebie….we are done. It’s time to pay the piper.

disa on July 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Inappropriate comparison. A better comparison would be…..We elected people to office to be fiscally responsible and they utter failed to do it and then manipulated the system until the “crisis” was looming just to scare us into supporting the exact system that got us into this trouble. Should we, in the face of their cries of impending doom, acquiesce to their demands because they are painting us as unreasonable and present themselves as smarter than we are or should we remember that we are adults also and we know how to manage our finances and it’s time to force them to do so also?

csdeven on July 30, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I find this offensive. To demand responsibility and sanity in economics is never embarassing -except to those who have been wimpified by the leftist “beat them through compromise” ideology.

Don L on July 30, 2011 at 9:47 AM

fossten on July 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM

We got 17 trillion dollars in debt because of “compromise.” These willful morons refuse to face the fact that

THERE

IS

MONEY

RIGHT

NOW!

17 trillion is literally peanut change compared to what we’ll owe if we don’t stop the stupidity of government spending NOW. Boehner’s getting the reaction he deserves because of his lying budget kabuki theater of a few months back. The intellectually and morally self-castrated crybaby couldn’t WAIT to act irresponsibly.

The childish “establishment” idiots want to parade their imaginary super-sophistication over the Tea Party members, which is beyond laughable. If there is any “childishness” in what the TP states, it is that of the child in “The Emperor’s New Clothes.”

ebrown2 on July 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM

here’s IBD’s point of view…focus on 12…the TP has done well

r keller on July 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM

This piece is well written, however it is, I would argue, a tad presumptuous. The Tea Party will fight to get Obama out of office. They will take the victories they have achieved. They are the American people, they do not need to be told what they need to do. They are doing what they need to do because of their beliefs, not because some strategist tells them it is the best path.

txmomof6 on July 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Bradky on July 30, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Oh please. You’re fine with the way government spends ,wastes, and taxes. Just another RINO bought into the system.

CW on July 30, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Who gives arat’s petuni about what polls say or people feel. Attitudes are the result of leadership or failed leadership. To lead by failed opinion unmotivated or educated by wimp leaders is the most ignorant thing a party can do. It is educating the people into the why how and what of conservative principles that will alter these dangerous “feeling” based attitude. These polls, rather that point out a direction for leasers to follow are merely a reflection of the failed leadership and non-communication of principles that the GOP has exhibited since the loss of Ronald Reagan.
The backward thinking GOP thinks the dumb horse should really be the driver of the cart!

Don L on July 30, 2011 at 9:54 AM

CW on July 30, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Can you explain how victory in this debt limit situation is even possible?

Really Right on July 30, 2011 at 9:58 AM

BetseyRoss on July 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Well said. Those are elitist words of contempt put in the mouth of Sarah Palin. They are offensive. Laura Ingraham is offensive. She both has no idea what she’s talking about, and does know and is afraid. The tea party is simultaneuously misunderstood and correctly understood as a profound threat to the establishment.

rrpjr on July 30, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Adjoran on July 30, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Yet somehow against the same type of odds Ronald Reagan got his tax cuts through.

Incremental changes won’t work now. In 1979 the national debt was a trifle under 900 billion. At that point we could have gone for incremental changes. Unfortunately we opted for the Whimpy version of economics if you buy me a hamburger today I’ll gladly pay you back on Tuesday. 32 years and nearly 14 trillion dollars worth of hamburgers later we face this crisis and the solution is going to be another 10 trillion dollars worth of hamburgers we promise to pay for later. I hope you are prepared for the deprivations that are going to happen as a result of this kind of thinking.

chemman on July 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

rrpjr on July 30, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Laura is now making more money being on for BOR and doesn’t want to jeopardize that. Human nature.

txmomof6 on July 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Typical establishment explosive diarrhea…the Tea Party is about true reform, it isn’t about changing any stupid conversation. Who cares about endless debates and posturing when anemic, token action follows suit? Proof positive the two-party system is beyond corrupt and digging in to keeping things business as usual. This was supposed to be the big fight, remember? Keep your noses powdered for the big budget battle to come? What happened?

RINO Establishment Inc. are corrupt cowards with no political game, that’s what. The toughest talk they engage in is going after the Tea Party. And since they do nothing of the sort against the media or the Liberals one can easily assume they are a major part of the problem. I can see now why they are loathed so intensely by Conservatives. They handicap the grassroots every step of the way and appear content with the status quo.

RepubChica on July 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Earth to Ingraham, it’s not about the Republican party, it’s about the future of this country. Ingraham apparently a Republican before she’s an American. The Republicans have to prove themselves period. Why does Ingraham think they lost so big in 2006, when they had both houses and the Presidency? Does she really believe that Americans trust either political party?

That’s so sweet the Republicans think the insurgency was over in 2010 GRIN. It’s going to take a couple more election cycles to get the Republican party, pointed back to the conservative right side of the political spectrum. I understand Ingraham likes the status quo, that’s what the Republican establishment represents – the status quo.

The whole point of primaries and elections is choosing representation to send to D.C. Ingraham, thinks there is some rule that states, you can’t turn over those people in public office as their constituents see fit? Why does she think people are constantly screaming for term limits?

Hearing how much the progressives in the Democrat party, hate the TEA party, and complaining about their influence, apparently what the TEA party is doing is working. No more status quo Republicans calling the shots, It”s Morning In America.

The stupidest thing the Democrats did was abdicate this populist movement to the Republican party….but it’s not unforeseen. The progressives in the Democrat party can’t pivot or triangulate, they have left themselves no room to maneuver. The hard left is rigid – non flexible. And the Republican talkers are busy whining about their TEA party support being absolutist, too funny

Dr Evil on July 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM

What the establishment DC crowd doesn’t understand is that the American psyche has always been revolutionary at its core. They could manage to be in control when there was no apparent imminent threat to American families, but when you wake up everyday and worry about how Washington is damaging your family’s present and future, normal Americans will revolt against the system. Until there is a solution and things are happy and prosperous again this groundswell will not go away.

txmomof6 on July 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Conservatives need to applaud their victory in this skirmish and set their sights on the next battle.
The debt limit was always going to be increased. The Donks were always going to paint the right as evil obstructionists.
The field of battle has shifted. Even the lame stream media has recognized that the Donks are playing just as partisan as they accuse the right.
Long term we have to win the hearts and minds of the mushy middle. While I appreciate the crystal clarity and absolute rightness of the Tea Party position this is still a representative democracy. We have to win by persuasion and convincing those in the middle.
The mushy middle is not swayed by facts. They are overwhelmed by waves and waves of facts. Some facts are truer than other facts. It requires repetition from a variety of sources to teach them how to think. It’s a long-term mission.
My own personal disappointment in this whole affair is that the Senate wasn’t forced to enact a budget. It’s too late now but perhaps the CCB was a bridge too far. However I can understand the problem trying to package “Cut, Cap, & Harry Reid Do your Freaking Job”!

Metanis on July 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Metanis on July 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Positioning and strategy are not the issue. People follow people who do the right thing in dire circumstances. 9.2% Unemployment and 1.3% GDP are more powerful motivators than startegy advice from the likes of the Beltway crowd. If a leader emerges who presents a credible plan to solve these issues mushy middle will follow.

txmomof6 on July 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I’d like to get rid of Mica in Florida. He seems to have some kind of train fetish.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Mica is not a “train” guy at all.

He did an excellent job with the House transportation bill cutting all kinds of “alternative transportation” fat out of the bill.

Dreadnought on July 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM

stenwin77 on July 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Here’s Laura’s E-Blast newletter that I received after the 2008 Election titled The Day After: Lessons Learned

“First, let no one tell you that this election was a failure of conservatism–it was the product of failed Republican leadership. Conservatism gave way to “compassionate” big-government Republicanism, which failed big time. Too many on Capitol Hill abandoned first principles like fiscal discipline, and failed to connect with middle class economic anxiety that has been brewing for two years, not two months. When one loses one’s sense of purpose, so too goes moral clarity and credibility.
Despite all this, and despite Obama’s huge money and media advantage, 56 million Americans still pulled the lever for the Republican ticket. That is not nothing. It certainly is a base we can build on.

Second, we are moving into a new era that demands new leadership. You who were not lulled into complacency and stood for conservatism are going to have more influence over the GOP going forward than you’ve had during the Bush years. So take heart.

Third, after Inauguration Day, President Obama will have to finally start making some hard choices that no liberal has had to make. Is he really willing to trash the economy in an effort to stop global warming? Is he really willing to let terrorists reign in the Middle East? Is he really willing to go along with the casual anti-Americanism of most Europeans? If he does, his popularity will erode quickly. Conservatives, in the meantime, will be rebuilding, and refreshing their message and messengers.

Fourth, communications skills matter. Laugh all you want about Obama’s soaring rhetoric (and we do), there is no doubt that we got beaten in the PR department. We must cultivate a new generation of leaders who are both proud of their conservative beliefs and comfortable articulating them with vision, clarify and optimism.

Fifth, too many Americans — younger people especially — don’t understand conservatism. Obama advertised everything under the sun (health care, tax cuts, expanded government services, compassionate judges, peace in our time). Those who’ve never learned the basics of American history or conservative philosophy have a hard time grasping how anyone could oppose this bill of goods. Part of the answer is taking back our schools and universities. We also need to stop relying on ineffective slogans (“legislating from the bench,” “class warfare,” “socialism!”) and start conveying broader principles and truths through direct, pithy language.

Let the rebuilding begin!”

(Thanks HA poster RedRobin145)

So either Ingram is a sell out now, or was a liar and a hypocrite then.

portlandon on July 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM

txmomof6 on July 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Messaging is always important. John Boehner emerged with several credible plans and thus far there’s no evidence the mushy middle has gotten on board.
Your larger point is absolutely true however. Messaging is a poor substitute for “doing the right thing”.
Obama won 53 – 46. That 7% split is the mushy middle. We need them on our side (or on the sidelines) in 2012 or this nightmare will never end.

Metanis on July 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM

csdeven on July 30, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Who are you, and what happened to cslouis ???

That’s beautiful man, and I agree with you 100%

Jerome Horwitz on July 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Really Right they need to convince, coerce, and demand the Democrats get in line. They need to convince America that out of control spending and massive debts are ruinous. As long as we go after the deficit,debt, and spending and cower to the Dems demands for compromise we are screwed. If you are in line with Bradky you are useless to America. It is hilarious that the solutions being offered by the establishment GOPers and DEMS are not really solutions yet you buy right in right?You know because you are Really Right. If you are in line with Bradky you are useless to America. You fix NOTHING. Get it?

CW on July 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM

So either Ingram is a sell out now, or was a liar and a hypocrite then.

portlandon on July 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Or all of the above.

the_nile on July 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Who are you, and what happened to cslouis ???

That’s beautiful man, and I agree with you 100%

Jerome Horwitz on July 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM

+1!

the_nile on July 30, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Really Right:

This is the time for real action . Not that watered down same old same old BS that DC has been selling for decades.

You do understand you have been played?

The Establishment says hey let us spend a trillion here then they say let us cut that trillion. Hey Really Right we have saved a trillion. And your response? I suspect it is . Wow you guys deserve more compromise because you are awesome financial stewards.

CW on July 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM

CW on July 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Since Congress is divided between Republicans and democRats we cannot win. The only way we win is if they surrender and there is no reason in the world for the dems to do that. They totally want grandma to not get her SS check so that the LSM can blame it on our side. Then Obama wins in 2012, and maybe we lose the House.

We have two 6′s and we should act like we have a straight flush?

Really Right on July 30, 2011 at 11:06 AM

BetseyRoss on July 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Re: Tea Party, Laura I. etc.
I agree with what you have stated. It seems to me that the Tea Party movement is taking heat the same as anyone that is opposed to the path the government has been taking.

A group of people is so much easier to attack than an individual.

If a government has overstepped their authority and any group, that opposes that and tries to remedy that will be opposed. This has always been the case, no matter what the name of the group.

Does that make that group wrong? No, no more than those that opposed slavery were wrong.

Now if there are a group of people in D.C. that are speaking for the “Tea Party”, then it would be informative to know their names.

Contacting the Congress and those that represent us is our right. I’m sure many citizens have done so. I’ve never received any hateful reply, nor have I been called a hobbit:-) Yet, my opinions line up with what the Tea Party represents. So you see it’s the group thing.

bluefox on July 30, 2011 at 11:10 AM

The Reid bill, as it is described, is outrageous, yet it seems to have the greatest chance of outlining whatever becomes the law regarding this debt ceiling increase. It has that best chance because of the RINOs in the Senate and House. Obama and the liberals know that, which leads to their demonization of the Tea Party, which is their only meaningful enemy.
The liberal statists, up to now, believed that they had uncontested control of America and its future. The Tea Party has sprung up as a problem for them, and they need to kill it. The 2012 elections will tell the tale.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Her radio show has turned into either 1}the Catholic hour,

stenwin77 on July 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Nice.

But not surprising.

She doesn’t talk about being Catholic any more than that blowhard Levin talks about his dog.

Dreadnought on July 30, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Dr Evil on July 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM

You are right. Blaming the Tea Party is just a way of shifting the blame for their errors. Who did they blame before the Tea Party, seeing it’s just been a movement for 3 years?

Just another blame game, it’s never their fault. The devil made me do it.

If the Congress & President had been doing what was in the best interest of the American people and our Country, there would have been no need for the Tea Party.

Evidently they need some new mirrors in D.C.

bluefox on July 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Attention: Since the Congress is in session and Reid will try to get this passed in the Senate as ASAP and get it to the House ASAP, we need to start emailing/calling/faxing NOW.

This is the site I use as it has everything you need.

bluefox on July 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

bluefox on July 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

canopfor — where are ye?

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2011 at 2:40 AM

That’s pretty much how I see it. I too like Palin but the media unfortunately has succeeded in doing such damage to her character and personality that she doesn’t stand a chance. It’s not right, it’s not fair but there it is. Like you, I have long advocated for her as Sec. of Energy. She’s passionate about energy independence and I too think she’s excel in that role.

Yakko77 on July 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Also College Football is coming soon..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Yea buddy.

RDE2010 on July 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I just read these quotes and most of this is garbage.

The Tea Party is a popular grassroots movement. Washington still doesn’t understand it because nobody there has ever seen anything like it. This is why both establishment Republicans and Democrats are trashing it this week, instead of trying to understand it and work with it. If they see it as a threat to their hegemony….well GOOD, that’s exactly what it is!

Think about what would have happened in the late 1960s and early 1970s if the anti-war movement had actually started running people for Congress and 50 of them got elected to the House and three or four to the Senate. Would not they have been expected to focus all their energies on ending the war? Wouldn’t the war have come to dominate everything in Congress pretty quickly?

It’s fantastic to me what the Tea Party has already accomplished. It’s still on training wheels as a real political movement with a beachhead in Washington. It may take one or two more election cycles to get enough Tea Party members in the House and Senate to really change outcomes, but Rome wasn’t built in a day.

rockmom on July 30, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I may be wrong but Romney has been very quiet or should I say voting present. Am I wrong, I would like to see what others say.

KBird on July 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Can you explain how victory in this debt limit situation is even possible?

Really Right on July 30, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Let me help you with that.

The House holds all the cards. That they behave as if they don’t is a serious flaw, but they do. They send in a budget which would make a small business owner happy, with tax cuts and spending cuts and no defecits. You see, they don’t need an Amendment to do it, they can just do it.

Then when Reid, Obama, & co. refuse to accept it, they send in another with deeper cuts. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Because we will always have enough revenue inbound to pay the essentials. If Obama chooses to pay entitlements instead, and ignores the 14th Amendment, impeachment proceedings should be initiated.

After a while, there is little way that the public won’t recognize who is for the future of this nation, and who against.

That’s how. All it takes is integrity and nerve. And that’s why it won’t happen until the Tea Party gains more ground in office.

Freelancer on July 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM