Reports: House GOP lining up behind Boehner’s plan

posted at 4:28 pm on July 27, 2011 by Allahpundit

They’re getting their asses in line.

[T]he opposition bloc led by [Jim] Jordan appears to be crumbling, as leadership’s message seems to be sinking in. Sources tells NRO that a number of members who were confirmed no votes against the Boehner plan announced during the meeting that they would be voting yes. One of those members, Rep. Blake Farenthold (R., Texas) told reporters that while he would like to “snap my fingers and change the world like ‘I Dream of Genie’ of Samantha on ‘Bewitched,’” Republicans “need to take what we can get.”…

Even Rep. Mike Pence (R., Ind.), a prominent conservative with a history of voting against leadership, said he was undecided, but seemed to indicate that he could ultimately support the plan, calling it “an important first step toward fiscal discipline and reform.”…

Members will be presented with an updated draft of the plan later this afternoon, with a vote tentatively scheduled for Thursday. GOP aides won’t predict whether or not they have the votes to pass the plan, but acknowledge things are moving in the right direction. Rep. Paul Ryan (R., Wis.), however, said he thought the plan would pass. Tea-party favorite Allen West (R., Fla.), who supports the plan, said he might be willing to bet his retirement check on it.

Politico has quotes from other Republican freshmen who are softening on the bill. Maybe they could have held out if a few things had broken differently, but between (a) the risk of economic catastrophe from hitting the ceiling, (b) the broken caucus that would have resulted from defeating its own leader’s plan in a high-stakes showdown with Obama, (c) the political cover to vote yes provided by “true conservative” favorites like West, Ryan, Fred Thompson, and John Bolton (even Pence is on the fence), and (d) the backlash against Jim Jordan after one of his staffers allegedly tried to gin up outside pressure on other Republicans, I guess the choice here ended up being easier than thought. In fact, I wonder if Hoyer played into Boehner’s hands a bit by insisting that zero Democrats will vote for Boehner’s bill. He has to play it that way to make things as difficult as possible for the GOP, of course, since that’ll improve the Reid bill’s chances of passage, but he could have done so quietly. If House conservatives were led to believe that some Blue Dogs might vote with Boehner, it would have eased the new “circle the wagons” mindset and maybe encouraged more of them to hold out. Instead, thanks to Obama’s veto threat and the prospect of a unified Democratic opposition, the caucus is facing a “vote against Boehner is a vote for Reid” dilemma. Not much of a dilemma, really. As it is, one House source tells NRO’s Robert Costa that the final vote might not even be close.

Ironically, Boehner may also benefit from delaying the vote by a day in order to rework his bill after its disappointing CBO score. The market was down 199 points today, its biggest drop in almost two months; GOP fencesitters might dismiss that as a standard blip, but I encourage you to read this Megan McArdle post recounting her chat with Wall Street sources about why the market hasn’t tanked yet. It’s not because they think hitting the ceiling is no big deal, it’s because they think it’s such an enormously big deal that they simply can’t believe Congress will let it happen, even at this late hour. (And yeah, it’s true that we won’t default on August 2nd — even Carney now admits that — but the sudden drop in government outlays after we prioritize payments to creditors would still be a blow to the economy. Just ask Paul Ryan.) Can’t wait to see their reaction if Boehner’s bill ends up tanking after all.

For your viewing pleasure, here’s Reid insisting that Boehner’s bill doesn’t have a prayer in the Senate. Let’s see what he says on Friday, if/when JB’s bill has passed the House and Reid’s bill has died in the Senate. Exit quotation from Mike Crapo, commenting on the sudden surge of Republican support for Boehner: “It looks like they are going to have the votes to get it through.”

Update: Sorry, pasted the wrong video clip below. Here’s Reid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

TheRightMan on July 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Your quote from the good book is why personal character actually matters.

chemman on July 27, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Rational Thought on July 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

That’s it in a nutshell.

flicker on July 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM

So let me get this right.

We are going to cut less than our deficit this year over ten years and I am supposed to be happy. Oh wait, I am supposed to support because it is the best that can be done.

I have seen this before and it does end up the way fiscal conservatives want. The Congress will either not make the spending cuts or up the budget to eat up the supposed cuts. We have to remember this Congress can not tell future Congresses how to budget. So for those of you who say wait till 2012, another 2 trillion dollars or more will be added to the debt. Think 2012 and over 16 TRILLION deficit. This is what is at stake.

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Can you recognize that the majority of people here want to make serious cuts and reductions in both the size and scope of the federal government? Just because we disagree with you on how that best happens does not mean that we want to pass the problems on to our kids.

MississippiMom on July 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

The problem is that we have seen this stuff in the past and we always get lied to. I would love to believe the GOP has changed their ways, but I am concerned that these guys are just fashioning a bill that is so convoluted and meandering, that even though it looks great, in the end it will be more of the same.

I think the evidence of a trick in the making will be if this deal raises the debt limit until after the 2012 election. If they pass a bill that is shorter than that and it has gimmicks in it, those gimmicks will be exposed and Americans will never trust them again. That would give the Tea Party a huge advantage just before the 2012 election while the debt ceiling is debated again. We could point to the gimmick as the proof that the GOP establishment cannot be trusted. At that point, the Tea Party would never compromise again.

So, watch what the deal is….if it extends the ceiling past the election, it’s a trick by the GOP.

csdeven on July 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM

errr, i used “you” instead of “they” a couple times in that last post. I guess while I was typing I was thinking as if I were talking to Boehner myself.

Daemonocracy on July 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Nope, the FIRST order of business is to KICK every RINO out of leadership, then we can worry about taking back the WH and Senate.

TheRightMan on July 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM

You mean RINOs like West, Ryan, Fred Thompson, and John Bolton who are standing behind Boehner?

You’re just pissed because you didn’t get everything you wanted out of this and it is clouding your judgement such that you can’t see that the GOP stopped tax increases in their tracks and are still trying to keep a short-term deal all the while holding only the house.

db on July 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Think 2012 and over 16 TRILLION deficit. This is what is at stake.

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Start by reading up on the difference between debts and deficits. Then, resume fulmination.

KingGold on July 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Your hypocricy is amazing.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

You don’t know that he’s a hypocrite so why say that. It sounds like he agrees with a different strategy than you do, as do I.

Why don’t you wait to see what happens with Boehner’s bill. I think he’s on the right track. FINALLY!

Vince on July 27, 2011

I’m neither a hypocrite nor a coward. I make stands, sometimes courageous ones (Hell I sent real money to Christine O’Donnel, Sharron Angle and that guy in Colorado). I have the courage of my convictions and am willing to draw lines in the sand about them. For me, this particular fight is about which hill I choose to die on. I think this debt ceiling issue was worth fighting for but there’s no way to take the hill right now. So, we need to contain the Dems on that hill, march around it and fight the bigger battles coming soon. I would rather the CCB go through and be signed by the President.

I don’t want to have our army slaughtered on this hill.

JonPrichard on July 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Really? Really?!? What is Boehner supposed to do? Tell him either his signature or his brains are going to be on the bill? You have a very distorted view of reality.

db on July 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

it is called compromise. the speaker says you wnat the debt limit to go up? fine agree to spending cuts of 10% or 20%. If not no debt limit increase and we get a 40% spending cut automatically.

Simple. tha tis of course the speaker is pushing for spending cuts. He isn’t and there is the reason he continues to cave he doesn’t believe in the talking points he made during the campaign. He doesn’t want to cut spending. He wants to “look” like he is ciutting spending and Obama is not going to give him that victory.

So the speaker continues to make offers which Obama and the dems reject because tehy know at the end of the day the GOP establishment wants the debt limit increase as much as they do it. And if push comes to shove the gop establishment will give Obama and the dems everything they want.

Know of course if Obama and the dems were unsure of the gop wanting the debt limit to increase they would be compromising but the gop establishment has taken that off the table. So why should Obama and the dmes compromise at all. they will get what t hey want and the gop will “settle” for what ever fig leaf the dems decide to give them in the end. Which will not be very big. But since the gop establishment has no balls a small fig leaf will do.

unseen on July 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM

JonPrichard on July 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Excellent. Thank you for that.

db on July 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM

JonPrichard on July 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

All we wanted was to make a true stand with CCB, make it our Bunker Hill.

Daemonocracy on July 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I don’t want to have our army slaughtered on this hill.

JonPrichard on July 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Tell me exactly Jon…how do we get “slaughtered” here?

Have you forgotten the mid-terms? Have you forgotten how deep those victories were (all the way down to the “Township” level).

Did you here anyone screaming that we need more establishment, entrenched repubs? Did you here anyone yelling “We want compromise”?

Why the hell are you so willing to flush a mandate?

Stand up now….and line up more victories in ’12.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Sorry genius….nothing so fancy…this was blown by your boy boner and his establishment pals right from the gitgo.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Nice dodge. So, you admit you have no freakin’ clue how it will play out, you just know you’re being a real bad-ass by “holding the line”. Awesome.

Dude, you are not more conservative than anyone else here, you’re just strategically more stupid. Make sure you get your tickets to Obama’s second inaugural. I’m sure he’ll make an awesome speech.

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

unseen on July 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM

You are truly living in fantasy land.

How’s this: You send me all your money or I’m gonna reach through your monitor and slug you. What’s that? You don’t think I have the power to do that?

You’re right.

db on July 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM

“Doesn’t matter what the press says. Doesn’t matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn’t matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences.

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree besides the river of truth, and tell the whole world–

No you move.”

Too bad the GOP has a coward in leadership in the name of John Boehner.

What makes people think things will be better in the future if the leadership in Washington can’t do the right thing?

To get our country’s fiscal house in order there are going to be tough decisions to be made. People are going to be kicking and screaming IFand when these decisions are made. What makes people believe that Boehner and McConnell will be able to take the heat in making these tough decisions? You have to be strong-willed in your convictions and I don’t think these guys (and many in the GOP) are.

RedRobin145 on July 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Dodge? Hardly. Just gave you a straight answer squish. Repackage CCB and send it again and again.

Let li’l bammie explain why his senate keeps voting down a package the majority wants.

As for the rest….yeah…blah..blah..blah…whatever squish…..go run and hide with boner.

Maybe you two can weep together while the rest of do the heavy lifting.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Stand up now….and line up more victories in ’12.
Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

There is a difference between standing up and blowing everything up. I think that is what will determine victory or defeat in 2012.

MississippiMom on July 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM

MississippiMom on July 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Again…how does this blow anything up?

too many people here are buying the MSM narritive.

I really think you’re wrong mom….the electorate knows lil bammie is on the wrong side of the issue…..look at the friggin’ polls.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I don’t know . . . the sign of a well-done negotiation is where both sides come out feeling like they won. I’m not feeling like our side won anything here. Seems all the cuts are in the future. Who says future congresses will even abide by them?? The democrats get their cookies up front now. Why do we have to wait for our cookies?

KickandSwimMom on July 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

MississippiMom on July 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM

+much

db on July 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

$100 Billion cut from THIS YEAR’s budget…Ryan’s plan is called radical by fellow Republicans, and we get less than 1% ($350 Million) of the promised cuts.

Repeal/Defund Obamacare…the House won’t even bring it up for consideration, and now they ignore the act all together, so it is as good as implemented.

Force the Democrats to cave on spending cuts, entitlement reform, and deficit/debt reduction by holding the debt ceiling hostage…the House presents multiple plans while the Dems just sit on their thumbs and watch the House squirm, knowing that the Republicans will get the blame no matter what.

It is business as usual in Washington DC. The spending addiction is alive and well, the Tea Party gets called radical by the party put into power due to it, and all of the promises are set aside. Without Boener’s plan, in 10 years we would be $25 Trillion in debt. With Boener’s plan, if every single part were enforced and implemented by future Congress’, we would be ~$24 Trillion in debt. We never run a surplus (so the debt will NEVER go down), policies will only get more restrictive on businesses and individuals as taxes rise and private industries abandon/close, and we will fail…not to mention, our kids will be saddled with this piece of schnitzel that we hand off to them.

For those of you that wonder if I want to face a market and government collapse…yes, I do. I’d rather collapse this grotesque corruptocracy fail outright and rebuild on my own terms even if it means several years of hardship for me and my family. I know that America can rebuild itself, and it can do so with American greatness unfettered by a centralized tyranny that threw off the shackles of our Constitution long ago. Americans, capitalism, and de-centralized government will rebuild the US quickly, and I pray to God that we finally learn our lesson(s) about liberalism/socialism/statism and teach our grandchildren to never allow it to touch our shores again.

Be a man, stand your ground for what you know is right, and take on all comers. If you don’t stand for something, you fall for anything, and frankly I’m ashamed of myself for falling for politicians promising things they went and abandoned in the first year.

Geministorm on July 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Think 2012 and over 16 TRILLION deficit. This is what is at stake.

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Sorry about that KingGold. Should be debt instead deficit, if a deficit is one year and debt is multiple years together.

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

For those of you arguing for the Boehner plan, let me present a thought for you to consider. The left doesn’t care about the destruction they foment on the country. They seek it, especially with the current president and his leftist administration. Republicans, and especially conservatives, do care. It is this “weakness” which they exploit over and over again. If things fall apart the left views it as an opportunity to amass more power. (see Rahm Emanuel, Saul Alinsky)Only through utter brinksmanship with this crew can we hope to make any progress. But that takes guts and the willingness to see the process through to the bitter end. That doesn’t mean proposing 3 different plans, each one caving a little more than the one before while our opposition (two and a half out of three parts of our government) sits back and waits for the next republican plan. That’s perceived as weakness by the left and is exploited every time. I thought Alan West and Paul Ryan might be potential players in this political game of “hardball”. They aren’t. Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio, and Jim Jordan are. The only “hardball” establishment republicans seem to be capable of playing is with conservatives and tea partiers.

We’ve got to be willing to go over the edge if we ever hope to beat these political sociopaths.

ncjetsfan on July 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM

There were a number of grammatical mistakes in that previous post, but I was too upset to do my normal diligence…my apologies if it is unreadable.

Geministorm on July 27, 2011 at 6:35 PM

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Fairly common error, and it doesn’t really mitigate the fact that the ceiling is going to have to be raised this go-around.

KingGold on July 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Geministorm on July 27, 2011 at 6:35 PM

LMAO

(I do it all the time.)

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM

You’re right.

db on July 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Fact the gop controlled house has the power to stop a debt limit increase

fact no debt limit increase means the gov can not borrow anymore money and thus will have to cut spending by about 40% to bring revs in line with spending.

fact the gop ran on controlling spending and cutting the size of government

fact the voters elected them to do what they ran on.

fact if the gop house does not vote for an increase the gop lives up to their campaign promise and spending is cut by 40%

fact Obama likes to spend money

fact Obama needs to contiue the slush funds and giveaways to get re-elected

fact Obama neds a debt liit increase or his chance of winnign election becomes zero.

Obama can not afford to have spending cut by 40%.

That is his choice or it should have been the choice present ed to him by the gop leadership. Spending cuts of 10% or 20% or spending cuts of 40%. they didn’t offer him that choice.

They said of course we are going to vote to increase the debt limit but we would like you to agree to spending cuts. They lost the “deal” the moment they took the debt limit increase off the table.

It would be like taking military action off the table against say Iran. No threat of military action and Oran smiles and continues to push. Same with Obama and the dems.

You must never have made a deal in your life.

unseen on July 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Maybe you two can weep together while the rest of do the heavy lifting.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:27 P

First of all: Heavy lifting? Dude, you’re posting comments on a blog. Don’t flatter yourself.

Second: We can keep submitting CCB over and over again, but it isn’t going anywhere and you and I both know it. CCB is a great idea, but it isn’t going to get passed. So, that brings us to Aug 2nd, markets tank and people’s 401k’s collapse. Then what? Obama gets all the blame, right? What world do you live in?

I want Obama defeated at all cost because that’s what is best for this country. You want to win this little battle at all cost even if it means Obama gets re-elected. That doesn’t seem like such an awesome goal for a hardcore conservative like yourself? Or maybe you secretly want Obama elected. Maybe a passive-aggressive thing.

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM

unseen on July 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Fact (since that seems to be little more than a sentence starter for you) : You don’t know this Marxist.

Fact: If he’s placed under those restrictions, he’ll slash the daylights out of SS, Medicare, and the military.

Fact: He will blame it all on us

Fact: The media will assist him in his endeavor

Fact: He’ll spank us like impudent children in 2012.

KingGold on July 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Typical squish…blah…blah…blah….no substance, just insults for true conservatives.

Shouldn’t you be in a bomb-shelter with boner…holding each other and weeping while watching MSNBC?

what an idiot.

KOS much?

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

unseen on July 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Fact: He will blame it all on us

Fact: The media will assist him in his endeavor

Fact: He’ll spank us like impudent children in 2012.

KingGold on July 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

No faith in the American people? I think you’re wrong amigo.

And a real house leader would be out in front of this….explaining it to the people…..not ducking for cover like johinca.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Me thinks that Lowery doesn’t know the meaning of front loaded. 917 billion in ten years is 91.7 billion a year. Cutting 20 billion the first year isn’t front loaded unless you come from Bizarro’s universe.

chemman on July 27, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Actually that IS front loaded because cuts AFTER the first year are illusory and as such are highly unlikely to occur at all.

Mahdi on July 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

KingGold on July 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM

And you expect it to not be raised in 2011/2012/2013 when the next debt ceiling debate takes place?

Questions for all:
How many times has the debt ceiling been raised?
When was the last time the debt ceiling was not raised when asked for?
Who was in control of the House, Senate and Executive branch when it happened?

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Obama took 53% of the popular vote to get elected. A 4% swing in the mushy middle of rudderless voters would have made all the difference. The entire goal of pro-American voters should be to ensure those 4% in the mushy middle have no reason to repeat their Obama vote. You will not win those in the middle by letting America default. Boehner’s plan may not be perfect but it helps bring those voters home. Or at the least it may keep them out of the Obama camp.

Metanis on July 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Questions for all:
How many times has the debt ceiling been raised?
When was the last time the debt ceiling was not raised when asked for?
Who was in control of the House, Senate and Executive branch when it happened?

bej on July 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM

countless times

never

N/A

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Fact: He will blame it all on us

Fact: The media will assist him in his endeavor

Fact: He’ll spank us like impudent children in 2012.

KingGold on July 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Fact if he slashes SS medicare and the miltary then he loses the election.

Fact you are afraid of your shadow. Don’t let that evil Obama get me……

Fact you just declared the battle over before the fight started and handed Obama the victory because you are afraid to fight.

Fact the gop establishment has no balls.

Let Obama slash the miltary SS and medicare and watch how fast the citizens demand his impeachment.

unseen on July 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Thanks Tim_CA.

So the debate is about taking a stand now or kicking the can down the road and do this again and expect a different outcome.

The second option reminds me of a quote attributed to Albert Einstein: “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

bej on July 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM

bej on July 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Enough to drive ya nuts isn’t it?

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM

You’re just pissed because you didn’t get everything you wanted out of this and it is clouding your judgment such that you can’t see that the GOP stopped tax increases in their tracks and are still trying to keep a short-term deal all the while holding only the house.

db on July 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Tax increases never had a chance of passing the House. We gave away our last real chance to immediately balance the federal budget in exchange for political peace and 1 billion dollars in cuts. If we don’t pull the debt limit trigger now, we’ll never pull it.

elfman on July 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM

elfman on July 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM

It’s just amazing that so many people don’t see this blown opportunity.

Bammie’s never been this weak….this was the time to take a stand….fulfill our mid-term promise.

Nope. We’ve got boner.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM

It appears we need a new leader in the House. If anyone happened to see my post, on another thread, about just cutting the $4 trillion budget 10%, to the tune of $400 billion dollars, you understand what a farce Boehner’s plan is for the debt ceiling. He plans on cutting $22 billion in the 2012 budget? $22 billion when cutting 10% is $400 billion, what percentage of the budget is that????????

We really need some leadership up there and I have no clue where you’re going to get it. We have none in the Senate and none in the house. I mean, do me a favor, get close to my 10%, hell 5% would be $200 billion, let’s do 5%. 2.5% would be $100 billion, let’s do 2.5%. $22 billion???? and Republicans like Boehner want to know why the tea party is so popular. These guys are a joke, period.

bflat879 on July 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM

what an idiot.

KOS much?

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Ok, ok. So, the dow dropped almost 200 today. Please tell me what it will do on August 3rd. Come on. Seriously, all you do is dodge, you never answer. Put on your prediction hat. What will it do? Why do you want to co-own this disastrous economy with Obama? Why do you want to be a co-equal partner with him in this? Right now, he owns it but you are trying to throw the guy a lifeline? Brilliant.

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM

What I find pathetic about this whole drama is that if things were reversed so that the GOP held the White House and Senate while Dems held the House:

1. Dems will not think twice about shutting down the Govt. if they do not have their way. Just imagine a GOP President requesting that some Dem priority be defunded or cuts be made in the budget. They will shut the Govt. down and won’t bother about media opinion even if it is against them.

2. Dems in the minority (holding only the House) will never complain about their impotence! They FIGHT! They poison the political atmosphere and throw a hissy fit until they get their way.

If you don’t believe me, compare the actions of our inept GOP House to Dems from 2002 – 2006, and then 2006 – 2008. Also look at Wisconsin Dems. Did they fold? No, they FOUGHT and continue to FIGHT!

TheRightMan on July 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Tim_CA it does drive me nuts.

I just hope all the people talking about the 2012 elections:

1) did not jump Obama’s case about playing politics with the debt limit.

2) realize liberals can keep the Senate and Presidency and get the house with the new money to spend under any increase in the debt limit.

bej on July 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM

It’s just amazing that so many people don’t see this blown opportunity.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I’m amazed as well. I think the thought of social disorder is so disturbing that they black out the mathematics indicating that it’s inevitable, and worse if we wait. We probably shouldn’t be surprised. It’s just human nature.

elfman on July 27, 2011 at 7:19 PM

TheRightMan on July 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM

100%

The only thing I’d add is they’d find a way to turn the Gov. Shutdown to their advantage with the help of the MSM.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I actually think I’m a lot more conservative than you, I don’t want Obama re-elected. Period. You? I think you don’t mind Obama re-elected as long as you can have your own personal victory right here on this hill. Good for you, though, if that makes you feel better.

Do explain, though, how we cut spending, repeal Obamacare, defund planned parenthood and NPR, appoint conservative justices to the supreme court, etc with Obama in the White House for a second term.

Because all of those things are very important to me and I don’t want to risk not getting those in 2012 just so we can tinker around the edges right now with the debt ceiling and co-own the economy with Obama.

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:22 PM

cons and tea partiers who vote for the Boehner plan may as well start packing their bags for home. They will be booted out next year.

And if the tea party doesn’t oppose Boehner, its dead, too, and a third party will be there to scoop up its votes.

james23 on July 27, 2011 at 7:25 PM

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM

John….enough already. If you know anything about finance you know that odumbo’s rhetoric has been purposely designed this week to roil the markets.

Let’s talk exactly 5 days after a deal is struck and see where the markets stand (I’m betting they’ll have miraculously normalized). Anybody that tells you they can predict an unstable, manipulated market is lying….I don’t need to lie.

Now calm yer ass down, stop being so friggin’ snarky, and learn something.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:22 PM

LMAO.

Ok…ya got me…I’m a big lib….! You’re waaaaaay more conservative than me

Pass me latte and help me manscape!

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Really?

So, if the goverment just starts spending EVEN MORE then the economy will really be humming.

I think the government should “outlay” $100 trillion tomorrow.

mockmook on July 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Now calm yer ass down, stop being so friggin’ snarky, and learn something.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Fair enough, Tim. Fair enough. You’re a little snarky yourself, but OK. Just don’t want to see Obama re-elected. That’s all. Learn something? I could say the same to you. But, I’m tired of this thread. By the way, we share the same goals, we just disagree with tactics. We’re not enemies, Tim. See ya.

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

One way we will know that Boehner’s deal is crap: after it all shakes out, expect Obama’s approval to rise and the GOP’s (especially Congress) approval to fall into the crapper.

But do you think the GOP Establishment cares? They could care less about capturing the White House; infact they are resigned to the fact that Obama is more likely than not to be re-elected! All they care about is getting back the Senate with McConnell in charge and all the plum Committee assignments they can amass.

The current GOP leadership doesn’t really care about cutting down the size of Govt. Infact, they love the ever-expanding Govt. probably even more than Dems. And not to mention that they hate conservatives/Tea Partiers with a passion and will do everything to spite us and stick it in our faces.

TheRightMan on July 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Absolutely…

We’ve seen each other posts….we all know where

we’ll be at the end of the day!

cheers!

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Absolutely…

We’ve seen each other posts….we all know where

we’ll be at the end of the day!

cheers!

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Yep, we’re on record. If the Boehner strategy doesn’t work and Obama gets re-elected I’ll admit that it was a huge freakin’ mistake.

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM

naw….he’s toast either way to be perfectly honest…..but that’s a whole different arguement.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Tim_CA on July 27, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I hope to hell you’re right about that.

JohnInCA on July 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM

All we wanted was to make a true stand with CCB, make it our Bunker Hill.

Daemonocracy on July 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Perhaps my memory serves poorly, but doesn’t history record that the British won the Battle of Bunker Hill?

JohnGalt23 on July 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM

So, when we get the immediate spending cuts required when the debt ceiling fails to pass, where are they going to come from?

DarkCurrent on July 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I believe we need something like 40%…

DarkCurrent on July 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM

JohnGalt23 on July 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM

That’s a trick by the RINO establishment media. Everybody knows that we won that, along with the battles in Lexington and Concord, New Hampshire.

KingGold on July 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Here’s my proposal:

1. Immediately reduce Medicare/Medicaid by 50%
2. Cut ‘Other mandatory spending’ by 100% What is that anyway?
3. All ‘Discretionary’ spending gone.
4. Cut ‘Defense’ by 50%

Then we’re only a little short…

DarkCurrent on July 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Actually we wouldn’t even have to cut both Medicare/Medicaid and Defense by 50%, just one or the other, or both by 25%.

DarkCurrent on July 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM

You must never have made a deal in your life.

unseen on July 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Making demands that have zero chance of being accepted knowing full well your end game is to do nothing is not making a deal. It is being obstinate, antagonistic, and stupid and would be clearly seen as such by the public. You would be correctly blamed for sabotaging our fragile economy and your party wouldn’t stand a chance in 2012.

db on July 27, 2011 at 8:50 PM

My gut tells me that the establishment GOP, the dems, and the POTUS, pushed this until the last minute to forced the Tea Party caucus into a spot where they can make them the bad guy as this plays out.

csdeven on July 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I too worry that the establishment GOP was complicit. I hope not, but if it turn out they were, it’s primary time once again.

And BTW, a note to John McCain:

1. You are a military hero.
2. Thank you for your service.
3. When you attack Tea Partiers, you can pound sound.

petefrt on July 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM

The democrats have not offered a single plan.

Not one.

The media has noticed.

There’s no reason for the GOP to negotiate against itself. Make the Senate pass something before we do anything other than cut, cap and balance.

alwaysfiredup on July 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM

The House Republicans really blew it! All they had to do was stand firm on CCB. Like Trump says, when you negotiate you have to walk away from the table to win. Boehner should have walked away after CCB. And went out and explained the situation to the American people who are behind CCB by 66%.

He gave up all the leverage by signaling to the Dems he would never walk away from the table. When your opponent knows you will not walk away from the table, you lose.

Now the only way to recover is if the Dems actually do reject Boehner’s debt deal as all of them have promised in their letter. They will then send Reid’s bill to the House. And if the House Republicans get one more shot at it, they need to stand on the Ryan Budget, and CCB again – and walk away from the table.

SheetAnchor on July 28, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Here is some things to consider….

If we are in control of only 1/2 of 1/3 of the federal government (as Republican establishment types whine about weekly), then we cannot possibly be at fault for any reprecussions coming from any financial crisis on August 3rd.

With the notification from Senate Dems that Boener’s plan will never pass in the Senate, without even knowing what’s in it, the Dems have admitted to the world that THEY are the ones unwilling to compromise, and are willing to see the country go down (according to their own anxiety filled remarks) in flames over ideological differences. It is simply a matter of pointing this out, and saying that the Dems would rather destroy the full faith and credit of the United States than cut 0.24% of the budget…$10 Billion frak’ing dollars, not even a blip on the radar with most federal programs…Bill Gates could donate that and still retain 75% of his worth for Christ’s sake!

Dingy Harry’s plan is a joke, and everyone knows it. Hold their feet to the fire everyday. Come out and hold a press conference everyday asking for a realistic plan that will help the country avoid bankruptcy, ask why no plan that the Republicans send will ever be considered or passed if the Democrats are serious about being bi-partisan and coming together for this emergency, ask why nothing was done about it during the Dems’ control of the House, Senate and WH, ask why no budget was passed during the last 800+ days…how hard is it to pound the Dems for their total lack of faithfulness to doing their job for years?!?

Boener’s plan is worthless. 1st of all, according to the CBO’s figures, all of the cuts are loaded into the final 4 years, which cannot even be guaranteed because a future Congress can just not follow it, or develop their own plan. 2nd, in the final four years, the Boener spending cuts amount to just 10% of the yearly deficit…in other words, even though we are going down the crapper with this unimaginable debt, we aren’t even slowing it down, we’re just going on spending out of control like always. And, even if Congress did follow Boener’s plan to a T, it doesn’t address additional funding that could be tacked on for new programs created (like Obamacare), that could easily make up for that $120 Billion cut.

Face the facts people; the House Republicans swore they would cut $100 Billion (which is just a measly 2.5% cut from this year’s budget) and couldn’t/wouldn’t do it. The GAO said that there is between $100-$200 billion just in waste, fraud, and redundant programs, and the Repubics can’t even wrangle that. If they cannot be trusted to keep their word on a simple proposition, which certainly EVERYONE, could agree on like cutting waste, fraud and duplication, then they are spineless weasels that need to be booted out of office in the 2012 elections. Don’t back Boener’s plan, don’t back Boener or McConnell, and don’t back the Republican establishment. It’s time that we (conservatives) take back the party and ditch the Ford/Rockafeller Repubics, this tent isn’t big enough for those snakes.

Nope, I don’t care how bad it makes Republicans or the Tea Party look. I don’t care how badly the Dems and the media trash us. I don’t care if the federal government and all of our investments go up in smoke (and believe me, I have quite a bit riding on this) and we are downgraded by Moody’s, default, or go bankrupt…the only thing that will stop this behemoth (the corruptocracy) is killing it dead in its tracks. We don’t need the government for a civil society, we can rebuild from the ashes and makes it better. It doesn’t need to be a revolution, we just let it die under its own weight…

Geministorm on July 28, 2011 at 9:21 AM