Why all your exes may live in Texas

posted at 3:05 pm on July 26, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Recent reports have Rick Perry mulling a late-August entry into the presidential race, a move that other aspirants have to dread.  If he’s like most Texans these days, Perry will find the job before anyone else.  USA Today reports on the state’s job-creation record that shows that Texas created half of all new jobs in the last two years:

Finding work may not be quite that simple, but it sure seems that way. While the nation’s job growth has limped along since the economic recovery began two years ago, the Lone Star State is enlarging payrolls in Texas-size fashion.

From June 2009 to June 2011 the state added 262,000 jobs, or half the USA’s 524,000 payroll gains, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Even by a more conservative estimate that omits states with net job losses, Texas’ advances make up 30% of the 1 million additions in the 34 states with net growth.

Reporter Phil Davidson attempts to put the difference in a population-growth context and notes that the job growth has been remarkable even when taking that into consideration:

Texas’ big gains are partly a reflection of its population growth. But the recent job gains are outpacing the rate of population growth in Texas, the nation’s second-largest state, with 25 million residents — about 8% of the U.S. population.

The state’s payrolls have risen 2.9% since the end of the recession, third behind North Dakota and Alaska and far outpacing the USA’s 0.4% growth, according to the BLS. Also, Texas’ 8.2% unemployment rate is well below the nation’s 9.2%.

Let’s also consider why the population has grown so fast in Texas.  Two months ago, BizJournals reported that Texas ranked first in net job creation over the decade from 2001-10, adding 732,000 jobs.  Second place went to Arizona … with 92,000.  Texas grew so fast that they added four new House seats in the last census allocation.

Jobs didn’t grow because people came to Texas.  People came to Texas because jobs got created there.  And jobs got created there, especially over the last two years, because the state government got out of the way of job creation and business expansion.  In fact, the results have been so dramatic that other states have sent delegations to Texas to see how they can duplicate the success.

Davidson writes that these “stunning” results could “play a role” in the presidential race, and that’s certainly true if Perry gets into the primaries and manages to snag the nomination.  Barack Obama will try to argue about the jobs he “saved or created,” which Perry will rebut by noting that Perry’s Texas created half of the net job expansion over the last two years, and didn’t do it through expansion of government regulation and deficit spending.  If employment doesn’t markedly improve over the next few months, that argument could send one Texan out of the state to take a new job, and an Illini back home to find another.  Unfortunately for Obama, his home state didn’t do nearly as well over the last two years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh how I would love to see Perry debate bho if Perry was nominated! I love Sarah to death and if she wants to run, please give us a sign. Either way, Palin/West or Perry/West.
L

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Been in Lubbock almost 4 months. Been working @ Walmart almost 3.
The weather sucks-but that FREEDOM is pretty Awesome.
Suck it, Chicagoland!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Lawyers hardest hit, yeah.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

The state’s payrolls have risen 2.9% since the end of the recession, third behind North Dakota and Alaska and far outpacing the USA’s 0.4% growth, according to the BLS. Also, Texas’ 8.2% unemployment rate is well below the nation’s 9.2%.

Hmm…

steebo77 on July 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Houston baby…35 years and counting. I LOVE LOVE my state. I don’t always agree with Perry…but he listens to his constituents and can admit he was wrong and change his path if necessary. He isn’t a puppet either…

Ltlgeneral64 on July 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

In the last few weeks, the only Help Wanted I have seen anywhere near Chicago is at the Dunkin Donuts on Route 72 in Elk Grove Village.

As far as finding a decent job in Illinois these days, it’s a full time non-paying job just trying to find one!

pilamaye on July 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Alter-reality in this thread already fun to watch, and just developing.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I love my state.
Please help me love my country more in 2012.

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Don’t worry, our weather isn’t always this hot. It will cool off in mid Dec and stay cool until almost the end of Feb…

Ltlgeneral64 on July 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Been in Lubbock almost 4 months. Been working @ Walmart almost 3.
The weather sucks-but that FREEDOM is pretty Awesome.
Suck it, Chicagoland!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Been in Lubbock almost 4 months. Been working @ Walmart almost 3.
The weather sucks-but that FREEDOM is pretty Awesome.
Suck it, Chicagoland!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Trying again: I lived in Lubbock for seven years. Think the weather is tough there, live in the humid part of Texas! It is brutal.

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Been in Lubbock almost 4 months. Been working @ Walmart almost 3.
The weather sucks-but that FREEDOM is pretty Awesome.
Suck it, Chicagoland!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, you just have to put up with that 100+ degree heat every day and them thar darn scorpions. Heard those nasty little buggers are all over the place down there.

But then again, I would rather deal with the stingers in Texas than the bloodsuckers in Illinois!

pilamaye on July 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

with “You’d think he’d be thanking me”.

John Deaux on July 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Here’s some more job growth #s for presidential candidates:

hrh40 on July 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM

After the ’82-’86 energy crises, Houston diversified big time and now when one industry sector is down a different one is up and we stay in faily good economic condition…sucked to be here in the mid-eighties though…

Ltlgeneral64 on July 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

You can bet your bippy that Perry, if elected, would make a MAJOR change in the epa! bho and team are he!! bent on doing all they can to stop drilling and refineries here as well as other states. Here in S TX, it is a tad warm, but not anymore so than other years I have been here. WE need RAIN!
L

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I keep thinking I should move from New Jersey to Texas. But my friends from Texas tell me that it is 120 in the shade in December and there are Cock-a-roaches the size of seagulls!

Sigh.. I guess I’ll just have to stay in New Jersey!

Haiku Guy on July 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

104 here today in Texas. And loving it. God’s country. Great Governor.

publiuspen on July 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Y’all have any right-minded young conservatives in your households across the nation, tell ‘em to get involved. It’s their future. Suggest they follow Students for Perry on Twitter and Facebook.

publiuspen on July 26, 2011 at 3:24 PM

pilamaye on July 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Speaking of stingers…Sunday night a coworker of mine was in our back room(I work in produce) and he was swearing up and down that he found a scorpion in the box he was knocking down. He shook out the box and…it was an earwig.
Scorpion. Heh,

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Haiku Guy on July 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

The rattlesnakes eat them thar cock-a-roaches and love them!
We do have about 60 days of winter and if it gets below 65 here, the heat comes on at our home.
L

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Sigh.. I guess I’ll just have to stay in New Jersey!

Haiku Guy on July 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

My husband had a 3 inch Asian tree-beetle on his neck a few months ago.
That %^&*(* was HUGE!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

God bless Texas!

rplat on July 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Sigh.. I guess I’ll just have to stay in New Jersey!

Haiku Guy on July 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Don’t worry, air conditioning and staying indoors on these hellish days will get you through it.

I would suspect the cockroaches would be larger in Jersey? What you need to look out for are our four species of venomous snakes and the Texas Brown Recluse spider, fire ants and Black Widows.

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I swear if those yankees show up here and ruin it for us Texans, I’ll have to get out my pistolas. I don’t mind new people as long as they don’t try to change us. Join us or get lost…my motto!

Sue on July 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM

The rattlesnakes eat them thar cock-a-roaches and love them!
L

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM

In Chicago I was going on 10 mile walks in 20 below.
I’m curious to learn weather I’ve gotten so acclimated to the hot temps that what I used to consider comfortable will now seem too cool.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Another aspect that makes the numbers even more stunning is that the Texas workforce has grown, while the US work force has shrunk. This means the actual disparity between The US and TX unemployment rates is larger than it appears.

juliesa on July 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Let’s also consider why the population has grown so fast in Texas.

High Hispanic birth rates and immigration from Mexico.

Which Obama will rebut by pointing out that 23 states have lower unemployment rates than Texas, including several large blue states.

Jon0815 on July 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Let’s also consider why the population has grown so fast in Texas.

High Hispanic birth rates and immigration from Mexico.

Jon0815 on July 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM

juliesa on July 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM

You’re right. Texas pop grows by 1,000 a day.

publiuspen on July 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM

FYI: two of the four venomous snakes here that I took pics of.

Diamondback Rattlesnake
Copperhead

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

We had a Recluse meandering across our living room carpet a few weeks back.
My husband sent it to spidey heaven.
I’m still much more scared or your average Midwest Yellow Jacket than of a slow-moving spider.
*shrugs*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM

From the link hrh40 posted up-thread:

During Sarah Palin’s governorship (December 2006 – July 2009)
• Alaska ranked 2nd in the nation for job growth.
• Alaska ranked 3rd in the nation for change in the unemployment rate relative to the national average.

During Jon Huntsman’s governorship (January 2005 – August 2009)
• Utah ranked 4th in the nation for job growth.
• Utah ranked 12th in the nation for change in the unemployment rate relative to the national average.

During Rick Perry’s governorship (December 2000 – May 2011)
• Texas ranked 4th in the nation for job growth.
• Texas ranked 23rd in the nation for change in the unemployment rate relative to the national average.

During Tim Pawlenty’s governorship (January 2003 – January 2011)
• Minnesota ranked 33rd in the nation for job growth.
• Minnesota ranked 17th in the nation for change in the unemployment rate relative to the national average.

During Mitt Romney’s governorship (January 2003 – January 2007)
• Massachusetts ranked 47th in the nation for job growth.
• Massachusetts ranked 34th in the nation for change in the unemployment rate relative to the national average.

steebo77 on July 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM

The economic dynamic duo: Perry Romney

Regardless of what one thinks of Romney a Perry Romney team would have wonderful regional appeal, powerful economic skills, Perry would carry the south, Romney would help in the North East.

I doubt that they would govern much differently than Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman. Nobody could call them intellectual light weights. They would make Obama look as if he was from one of his 57 altered states.

Their executive experience and real world experience would be refreshing.

The Rock on July 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM

We had a Recluse meandering across our living room carpet a few weeks back.
My husband sent it to spidey heaven.
*shrugs*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Wow. What I hate about the Recluse is that it tends to bite you when you are asleep AND the venom is so toxic that it disintegrates bone.

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Heh. Love the headline.

cs89 on July 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I just got home yesterday from a weekend wedding here in Florida. The couple getting married live in Dallas (parents live in FL), and the joke was that they had to come to Florida to cool off!

Our new Gov Scott is trying to give Texas a run for it’s money in job creation, and so far, things are looking better here than they have in a few years. The Gov sent this out yesterday:

This month’s job numbers for Florida are in and I have great news to share with you about our economy. This year so far we’ve added 85,500 jobs and 4,300 of those were in the month of June alone. The news that Florida is continuing to create jobs while the national unemployment rate continues to rise is very encouraging. It means we are doing things the right way.

Since the beginning my focus has been on getting Floridians back to work to turn our state around. We are making steady progress. And thanks to the support of people like yourself, we will continue to build momentum in turning our state around and getting Florida back to work. I won’t rest until we do. You can count on that.
Sincerely,

Governor Rick Scott

ornery_independent on July 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Sigh.. I guess I’ll just have to stay in New Jersey!

Haiku Guy on July 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

LOL! They must know something about you they don’t want here in Texas!

cartooner on July 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:17 PM

We were in Houston last month. It felt like Chicago by the Sea. Nooo Thank you!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Let’s also consider why the population has grown so fast in Texas.

Yes, that’s true but for many years now Texas has received more net internal migration (migration from other states) than any other state. CA, by contrast has been the biggest net loser on internal migration for years.

And this is obviously not because of our lovely climate. Californians and the rest are moving here for economic reasons.

juliesa on July 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM

We have cottonmouth and coral snakes down here also along with the rattlesnakes and copperhead. At least the ‘gentleman snake’ lets you know they are around. Oh well, just live with them.
L

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

The son, All my Exes Live in Texas was written by Sanger “Whitey” Schafer. He hails from my hometown. He also co-wrote Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind?

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

As a Texan, I’m still perplexed by the love affair with this person few people know anything about.

He will melt faster than a scoop of lard on a hot cast iron skillet.

Labamigo on July 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

The Rock on July 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM

On immigration Perry would govern *very* differently from Bachmann.

Jon0815 on July 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’ve been told that if I find any weird bites and don’t know how they got on me…to go to urgent care.
Immediately.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

L

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

We have corals and cottonmouths here as well. I live on a thin strip of the Eastern Cross Timbers region and Copperheads are thick here. I have captured about seven in a three year period near my back porch.

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

No more Used Car Salesmen from Texas in the White House!!!

And Perry will NOT stop the deficit spending in DC.

No Perry……and BOEHNER MUST GO!!!!!!

PappyD61 on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

i haven’t seen ANY snakes. I’m feeling cheated.
We DO have prairie dogs and crows.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

All your Exec’s live in Texas.

aquaviva on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Ltlgeneral64 on July 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

North of Houston here. Im with you on Perry. Should he get the primary….he’ll have my support. I don’t always agree with him either, but him over Obama would be a 100% improvement.

I’d be a happier camper here though, if this dang heat would let up a bit. *faints*

capejasmine on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Immediately.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

That is sound advice. Just look up “brown recluse bites” on Bing and check out the images of an advanced wound.

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Their executive experience and real world experience would be refreshing.

The Rock on July 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Romney’s executive experience is a joke. Look at his 47th-in-the-nation jobs record in Massachusetts. Look at the mess in which he left the Commonwealth’s budget. Look at all of the taxes and “fees” he raised on businesses and individuals.

steebo77 on July 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM

i haven’t seen ANY snakes. I’m feeling cheated.
We DO have prairie dogs and crows.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I think this drought and heat is keeping snakes under rocks and near water. That’s fine with me. I’m deathly afraid of them. However, the lizard population seems to be flourishing around here, and spiders. I had one crawling up my blouse the other day. Bigger than a 50 cent piece. :o

capejasmine on July 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM

juliesa on July 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I lived in Southern California 30 years before moving back here 4 yrs ago. California is a beautiful state and I loved the climate, but I’m a native Texan and glad I’m home!

cartooner on July 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I’m more afraid of chiggers than I am snakes.

Sue on July 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

i haven’t seen ANY snakes. I’m feeling cheated.
We DO have prairie dogs and crows.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Snakes are not as populous on the Llano Estacado. Have you experienced a dust storm yet? The first time I did I had left my car window cracked a bit. I had a thick layer of dust all over the interior of my car.

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

He will melt faster than a scoop of lard on a hot cast iron skillet.

Labamigo on July 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

See, only a Texan would come up with something like that!

pilamaye on July 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Well, bless your heart! Prairie dogs! Keep looking they do have rattlesnakes around your area I am fairly sure. If you go out in the pasture areas, you might find a horntoad. That would be a great find. I had those as pets when I was a child around Amarillo.
L

letget on July 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM

capejasmine on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I have a 6 mile walk to work tomorrow. Husband picks me up at the end of my shift.
The high’s supposed to be…104.
Big Gulps are my friends.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I’m more afraid of chiggers than I am snakes.

Sue on July 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Then stay clear of Illinois, because we have them crawling all over Springfield! Except we call them Representatives of the Illinois Legislature.

Oh, we also have one in Washington……..named DURBIN!

pilamaye on July 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

capejasmine on July 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

San Jacinto County here. Piney woods, skeeters, snakes, deer and beer!

cartooner on July 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Spread it wide, spread it far, freedom and liberty rule.

tarpon on July 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

carbon_footprint on July 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I am VERY familiar w/ the dust. My son was here last week and we got caught in a dust devil.
I knew better and closed my eyes. He didn’t. Ooopsy.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

So hot.

Jaibones on July 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

You go on any of the lefty sites, or read Paul Krugman, and they are desperately trying to spin away Texas’ job numbers as unimportant. Anything to save teh Precious. They make up stuff like all the new jobs are minimum wage, stuff like that. They are desperate.

This why I think Perry should be a great candidate, if he doesn’t do something stupid on the campaign trail. I like most of the other candidates too, but Texas’ economic stats should be killer to use against DOTUS, especially if the media would be honest about them (which they won’t be).

juliesa on July 26, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Oh, we also have one in Washington……..named DURBIN!

pilamaye on July 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM

The IGOP is $%^&*&^ worthless.

One party rule it is.
*Okay-Lubbock has one party rule as well…the ruling party is REPUBLICAN.*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I’m more afraid of chiggers than I am snakes.

Sue on July 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

OFF! Backwoods

cartooner on July 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM

It’s easy. Perry’s not Sarah Palin. Those who think Palin is utterly unelectable have found their ABP.

He will melt faster than a scoop of lard on a hot cast iron skillet.

Labamigo on July 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Could be. It’ll be interesting to see if he can live up to the increasingly ridiculous media buildup.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 3:52 PM

If Perry wins, I’m not sure I have a lot of confidence in Dewhurst, but I do believe Perry will set the economy right by doing what he did here on the national level. Trial lawyers will hate him!

cartooner on July 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Speaking of dust devils, in far West Texas now where the big fires have burned (and are still burning), we have ash devils as well as dust devils. At first glance they look like a plume of smoke, so you debate calling it in until you realize the plume is swirling straight up instead of blowing with the prevailing wind.

juliesa on July 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM

with “You’d think he’d be thanking me”.

John Deaux on July 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM

You’d think he’d be thankingvoting for me if he wasn’t so afraid of joining the unemployed with his record of job creation.

PrettyD_Vicious on July 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I look forward to the day when TX is outweighs CA in number of electoral votes.

Of course, the Dems probably hope appeasement of illegal aliens will keep that from becoming a problem…

hawksruleva on July 26, 2011 at 3:57 PM

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Or MAYBE we like what he’s done for our state-I’m a noob but I have friends that are cradle Texans and they like him-and we realize that Perry is much more qualified to be president than a fellow conservative who’s half-term governor and failed veep candidate.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Just imagine how many jobs could have been created in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi if we had a president concerned about the energy sector and job growth!!!

THis president is trying to destroy the energy sector and he only cares about government jobs so, chances of him helping are pretty slim.

Vote Republican and only be called a racist one more time.

bflat879 on July 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Thanks for demonstrating my point. And Perry didn’t himself create any more jobs than that “failed VP candidate” did. Governors don’t create private sector jobs. I don’t claim that Palin herself was personally responsible for all the good things Alaska was enjoying while she was governor, and I’m a little tired of the silly “Rick Perry is the Superman who created the Texas economy” rah-rah.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM

In California, we are disgusted by Texas’s minimum-wage jobs and are proud of our no-wage no-job…jobs!

Apologetic California on July 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM

With that said, let’s discuss again why BarryO has done all in his power to throttle Texas economy via EPA cross-state emissions regs, off shore drilling stoppage, and studying desert lizards in order to shut down on-shore drilling as well.

Robert17 on July 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I’m looking forward to him getting the race, but I do hope that this obnoxious Aug 6 pray-a-palooza isn’t the kind of thing we should expect much of from him.

We don’t have many choices and I see a lot of promise from Perry. I would hate to see it wasted because he decides to run for the title of Great Gatsby instead of POTUS.

MJBrutus on July 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I see a lot of promise from Perry.

MJBrutus on July 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM

After all this buildup, if he doesn’t overtake Romney as the frontrunner immediately after announcing it’s going to be mighty disappointing.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Stealing jobs from others states is not job creation is job stealing.

Falz on July 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM

No worse than ‘Palin is the only hope to save bring this nation back from the abyss and if you don’t agree with us that she IS the great conservative hope then you’re a RINO’.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I’m originally from Chicago. Had to move to Boston to start my job, and got transferred to Houston after a couple years there. Haven’t heard of anyone getting transferred to Chicago, and those friends of mine who have found jobs in Chicago took a $25K+ cut in salary to live there.

Between having a great salary, plenty of job opportunities, and no income tax, Texas has a lot to offer. Chicago is hard pressed to compete with that, sadly.

BeantownModerate on July 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

When did I say that? Link to it.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Apologetic California on July 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Classic. :)

pullingmyhairout on July 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

BeantownModerate on July 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM

What part of Chicago?
We’re formerly of the far South ‘Burbs

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

When did I say that? Link to it.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM
I was speaking in general terms.
While you specifically didn’t say it, that is a common view. of Mrs. Palin’s…most ardent supporters.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

North/North Shore burbs. I miss it, but not moving back until there are jobs to move back to… :(

BeantownModerate on July 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I was speaking in general terms.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

It’s a “common view”, then there should be lots of examples of it here and there. Show me a few.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Mrs. Palin’s…most ardent supporters.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

By the way, let’s see the Rickrollers win without “Mrs Palin’s…most ardent supporters”.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

It’s not the wild wild west out here guys! I live in El Paso, which is out in the middle of the desert, & despite being a bit quieter out here, we have shopping malls & movie theaters & even air conditioning! I haven’t seen a scorpion in years, & have never run into a rattlesnake or a brown recluse spider. The desert is scenic but not the prettiest place in Texas, go east & it’s beautiful. Big Bend, North, South & East Texas are gorgeous, & Houston, Dallas & San Antonio are very large & very cosmopolitan. Last but not least, if you like good music, politics, or you’re a greenie or an old liberal hippy, there’s always Austin.

Susanboo on July 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM

*sighing* Texas is just the awesomest place! Run Rick run!!!!111!11!

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Apologetic California on July 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yep, it was the LA Times that coined the term ‘funemployment’.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Yep. That’s true of a lot of “red states”, though, to be honest.

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM

*sighing* Texas is just the awesomest place! Run Rick run!!!!111!11!

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Glad you’ve seen the light.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Glad you’ve seen the light.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I have. Rick Perry needs to be preznit because he comes from Texas and has awesome hair. Run Rick run!!!!11!11!!

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I LOVE me some Texas! Truly, there is no place like it on earth.

It’s a Texas thang…you wouldn’t understand…:).
God’s Country.

Only thing is, if you come this way, you’d better not be a snot-nosed sissy liberal…we don’t want them contaminating the gene pool.

sandlin71 on July 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Stealing jobs from others states is not job creation is job stealing.

Falz on July 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Making the right climate for job creators to come to is what’s going on, think a little, it’ll do ya good!

cartooner on July 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Eh, looks-wise I prefer short, fat balding guys.
At least Perry’s served more than HALF of ONE term.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

The best thing about our weather is it keeps out the less serious…If our weather was like San Diego, the Houston population would be 10 million.

Houston has good weather…one month of fall, one month of winter, one month of spring and 9 months of August :)

golfer1 on July 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM

At least Perry’s served more than HALF of ONE term.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

We can play that game lots of ways. At least “Half-term” didn’t have an alleged sweetheart deal with a big pharma player. I mean, we really don’t want to go that route. You think your guy can win by pissing on Palin and her supporters?

ddrintn on July 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM