Newt: Sorry about that climate-change ad with Nancy Pelosi, kind of

posted at 10:40 am on July 26, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Newt Gingrich should really take a lesson from Tim Pawlenty on the climate-change walkback.  Since last year, Pawlenty has admitted that his support for cap-and-trade policies was a “clunker” on his record and apologized repeatedly for the mistake.  Today, Newt Gingrich had an opportunity to atone for his own flirtation on anthropogenic climate change, and did — sort of.  When asked by WGIR’s Paul Westcott whether he regretted his notorious ad pushing for a government policy response to AGW, Newt said he did, but only because people “misconstrued” his attempts to start a debate:

WESTCOTT: Mr. Speaker, we only have about 10 seconds left. I just want to ask you a question from our Facebook fan page. Do you regret that — doing that global warming commercial with Nancy Pelosi?

GINGRICH: Oh, sure. Look, I was, I was trying to make a point that we shouldn’t be afraid to debate the Left, even on the environment, that was obviously misconstrued, and that’s one of the things I probably wouldn’t do again.

“Misconstrued”? This looks like a typical Beltway non-apology apology along the lines of “I’m sorry you didn’t comprehend my genius.” Gingrich didn’t debate Pelosi; he made an ad calling for action now on AGW — an ad that was sponsored by Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project.

Let’s take a look at the ad again, and see what exactly Gingrich said:

PELOSI: Hi! I’m Nancy Pelosi, life-long Democrat and Speaker of the House.

GINGRICH: And I’m Newt Gingrich, life-long Republican and I used to be Speaker of the House.

PELOSI: We don’t always see eye to eye, do we Newt?

GINGRICH: No, but we do agree: our country must take action to address climate change.

PELOSI: We need cleaner forms of energy, and we need them fast.

GINGRICH: If enough of us demand action from our leaders, we can spark the innovation we need.

PELOSI: Go to WeCanSolveIt.org. Together, we can do this.

Er, I don’t see anything in here that challenges Pelosi to a debate on the merits of AGW hypotheses. What I see is Gingrich insisting that people demand government action on climate change, and partnering with Pelosi to do so. People haven’t “misconstrued” anything about this ad.

If Gingrich has truly changed his mind about AGW and government intervention, then he needs to admit he was wrong and explain his conversion (as Pawlenty did). Apparently, Gingrich can’t admit he was wrong, or is simply dissembling on the subject now to return to it later. Either way, blaming the albatross he hung around his own neck on the people who watched and clearly understood the message in the ad is hardly a recommendation for Gingrich’s leadership in the future.

Comments

Gingrich was not making a point about debating the left. He was attempting to be out ahead of an issue he thought could hurt him and Republicans in the future. So that tells me he has no principals. Go suck eggs fat head.

NotCoach on July 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM

NotCoach on July 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

and that’s one of the things I probably wouldn’t do again.

Good to know. Hasn’t he quit his campaign yet, or he is really serious about winning the presidency?

KingGold on July 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Could they get any closer together on that little love seat?

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Newt still doesn’t comprehend the permanent memory of the Internet in general and YouTube in particular. He’s got the pre-2000 mindset that you can say one thing here and another thing there, and it’s just too damned hard for anyone to contrast and compare your positions.

jon1979 on July 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

We demand that you get out of the limelight and shut your idiot mouth. You are standing in the way of innovation. Maybe you can get a gig at Tiffany’s.

search4truth on July 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Gingrich is flat out lying in this “non-apology apology”.

If he wasn’t done before, he is done now.

Rebar on July 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM

“We only had sex once and it meant nothing! I don’t lover her!”-Newt Gingrich

NotCoach on July 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Newt was just trying to thumb down a ride on the Hope and Change Express.

The Chewbacca Defense on July 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

GINGRICH: Oh, sure. Look, I was, I was trying to make a point that we shouldn’t be afraid to debate capitulate to the Left, even on the environment, that was obviously misconstrued seen here, and that’s one of the things I probably wouldn’t do again.

SouthernGent on July 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

First it was ‘to have a seat at the table’.

Then it was ‘to have some say in legislation’ as if that was a foregone conclusion

Now it’s ‘to start a debate’. The way to start a debate about the talking points is not to concede them up front. If you want to start a debate, you start debating.

What a maroon.

ajacksonian on July 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Go away, Newt. Go away, go away, go away…

OmahaConservative on July 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

That ad is disgusting and there is nothing he possibly say to make it more palatable.

Don’t forget that Pawlenty did an even more disgusting ad with Janet Napolitano and some orange dude.

Tim Pawlenty: Courage to Stand for Renewable Energy

flyfisher on July 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Clearly he did not inhale……

Say Goodnight Newt!

SDarchitect on July 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Gingrich will bounce around at the 0-1% in the polls level.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Even if you were a believer in AGW, how bad would your political instincts have to be to decide the sitting on a love seat with Nancy Pelosi was a bad move for your future ambitions. I remember that ad, and I remember it changing my opinion of Gingrich. And not for the better.

SoRight on July 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM

One of the signs of an adult is the willingness to admit a mistake, take ownership of it, and learn from it. Newt has done none of that.

ncjetsfan on July 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM

flyfisher on July 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Pawlenty has acknowledged his support in the past for climate change garbage, as Ed notes above.

And he owned up to it and has since apologized, which is a far cry from Newt’s weak dodge.

KingGold on July 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I didn’t buy it then and I’m not buying it now. That ad spelled the end of the very little respect I had for Newt.

mchristian on July 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Go home Newt you have zero chance of being our nominee.

BroncosRock on July 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Not really worth my effort to login and submit this comment, but: FAIL.

sleepy-beans on July 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM

KingGold on July 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Go back and watch what Pawlenty said in the recent debate. He did not own up to squat. He pretended as if all he had done was support some sort of studies related to climate change, which he then rejected because they weren’t good for Minnesota. But as that ad I linked makes clear, he was an AGW crusader for YEARS. He’s a disingenuous phony. And so is Gingrich.

flyfisher on July 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Sorry, no returns on furniture.

It’s your couch now. Own it.

saint kansas on July 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Newt claimed several years ago when attacked by conservatives for doing this ad that his motivation was for the GOP to get ahead of this issue. To not allow the Dems to own it. But in effect, he was conceding that there was even an issue to begin with. As it’s now obvious to anyone with a brain who’s been paying attention(which comes out to only about 10% of the electorate unfortunately), manmade global warming is bullcrap. Complete and utter bullcrap. Personally I think the so-called scientific data is about as reliable and trustworthy as an Arthur Andersen audit of Enron.

So Newt’s problem is that he’s now perceived by the base as A)making an ad with the reviled Nancy Pelosi in support of government action combating climate change or B)at the very least legitimizing the issue of fighting manmade global warming as something with bipartisan support. Either way, he’s screwed.

Doughboy on July 26, 2011 at 10:55 AM

If the climate change hoax was still being beleived by more and more people, I would not regret my push for bigger government intervention into your daily lives peons. Since it seems all you plebes have figured out the hoax, I am sorry that you are misunderstanding my push for screwing you over as my pushing to screw you over, what I was really trying to do was start a converation, one that had been going on for over 2 decaded when I was in that ad. Now, would you all just drop it and start thinking of me as an honest broker and someone who is looking out for you?

You just got to love the guy. He is like the pilsbury dough boy, just not as nice, or cute.

astonerii on July 26, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I have an issue with anyone who buys into AGW in the first place. There decison making ability is instantly questionable.

Why can’t we get more conservatives who will debate AGW and call it a fraud!
Say tax cuts increase revenue to the government!
Say no more spending money teaching Chinese Hookers to drink responsibly, no more paying for tatoo removal or pig smell research, cutting out “corporate/private” jets for members of Congress, they fly COACH!, etc. when asked “what would you cut?”

And when the President lies, say he is a liar! Not misconstrued, not telling half truths, not misquoted, not having a different view of the world, he is a LIAR!

At this point Obama has 2 choices. A) he is purposely trying to destroy the nation. B) He is an absolute idiot who cannot grasp the most basic concepts. (We are talking Steve Martin in the Jerk).

jeffn21 on July 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM

…but only because people “misconstrued” his attempts to start a debate.

This old tactic of Newt’s is beginning to be a bit tired..at least I’m tired of it. Every time he says something that draws criticism, he says people didn’t understand him and that he was just trying to start a debate.

Enough already…say what you mean and mean what you say.

Blaise on July 26, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Newt theme song

Scoreboard44 on July 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM

…but only because people “misconstrued” his attempts to start a debate.

Enough already…say what you mean and mean what you say.

Blaise on July 26, 2011 at 10:58 AM

THIS! (Up next, Newt blames his evil twin.)

GrannyDee on July 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

That picture of Newt is like Jane Fonda on the North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, it will haunt him forever.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Newt isn’t very smart is he? He didn’t realize that little AGW stunt wasn’t a good idea before he did it, he didn’t realize backstabbing Paul Ryan’s plan was a good idea before he did it, and he doesn’t realize now his presidential campaign is over. He doesn’t appear to be in the first stages of dementia.

TulsAmerican on July 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Newt who?

peski on July 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM

More and more like PBHO every day.

“You people out there are too stupid to understand so I have to dumb down the message.”

Buh bye, Newt.

Bishop on July 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM

jeffn21 on July 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM

As do I, which is why I linked Pawlenty’s disgusting green propaganda above. I just don’t think you can apologize your way out of something like that. What he did wasn’t a crime, but he was hip-deep in a movement that has a callous disregard for our liberties. I don’t care how “nice” he is, he proved he was unfit to be president, just as Newt (and Romney) has done time and again.

flyfisher on July 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM

All this tells me, the genius politicians never saw the TEA party coming. For a man who prides himself on being highly intelligent, he doesn’t seem to be able to pivot very well.

Sorry my bad. It was all the fad at the time, and I didn’t think it through. That’s the right answer.

Dr Evil on July 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

A narcissist like Newt is incapable of admitting he made a mistake. His genetic makeup does not allow for it.

Wyatt Wingfoot on July 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I don’t want candidates that a sorry for being stupid. I want candidates that aren’t stupid.

blink on July 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You’re going to have a mighty short list, sad to say. Every single candidate running for the nomination has done something distinctly un-conservative in their past careers and must account for it in one way or another.

Perry and Gardasil. Palin and oil taxes. Santorum and Snarlin’ Arlen Specter. Gingrich and Pawlenty on AGW. Cain and, well, everything he’s said about Muslims since he’s started campaigning. And the others have just as much.

It’s how they deal with it that shows us what they would do as President and how they’d sell their message.

KingGold on July 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

When does Romney apologize?

Rebar on July 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Dr Evil on July 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

In fairness to the guy, which politicians did see the Tea Party coming? Ron Paul, maybe. Bachmann and Palin don’t count since they merely embraced the movement once it surfaced. They didn’t spearhead it or predict it. It’s entirely organic and grassroots.

I think that’s what has so many in Washington flummoxed by it. There really is no titular head of the movement to attack or destroy. To defeat the Tea Party, they’d need to go after the American people which is electoral suicide(see November 2010 as evidence).

Doughboy on July 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

The man is like the creepy old, flatulent second cousin always showing up at family reunions.

bloviator on July 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

On the plus side, Neal Boortz holds you in higher regard than Sarah Palin, Newt.

Lanceman on July 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Gingrich will bounce around at the 0-1% in the polls level.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Works for me. Humilation at the polls as his final legacy? Sounds about right.

a capella on July 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM

He’s lying almost as good as Oblamer.Which BTW is pretty hard to top.

docflash on July 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

bloviator on July 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

You have one in your family too, huh?

“Oh great…Doug is here.”

Bishop on July 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Newt who?

peski on July 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Does this guy still think he’s in the running? Nobody I know believes he has any chance at all, partly because of this Pelosi global warming love-fest ad.

UltimateBob on July 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Newt, Newt, Newt. We’re not all as dumb as you think we are. So now let me guess. You’ve got money invested in pig tail light bulbs, and wind mills. Am I right? *siiiiiiiiiigh*

capejasmine on July 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Lead. By. Example.

rogerb on July 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I wish that melon head would simply exit the stage and leave us alone. I don’t know who is more arrogant, Newt or BO.

David in ATL on July 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM

The commercial was just a small part of the issue, albeit a highly visible one. This was more indicative of his real problem.

db on July 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM

He sat next to Pelosi with a smile on his face. That’s all I need to know about Newt frikkin’ Gingrich. The fact that he shilled for Global Warming™ and he didn’t clock her in the jaw confirms what I know.

New Gingrich is no friend of the American people.

IronDioPriest on July 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM

PELOSI: Go to WeCanSolveIt.org. Together, we can do this.

Newt jumped on the Climate Change bandwagon when he should have been pushing Pelosi to cut spending. At this point, even if you are convinced AGW is fact and can be dealt with via massive spending programs, we just don’t have the money.

If only he had pushed the solve the growth of debt.

MeatHeadinCA on July 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM

“This apology is for whoever was stupid enough to take offense. Thank you.”

Akzed on July 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

His ship was listing already, life boats at the ready. The ship has just SUNK, all lost at sea! This question was coming, he knew it, we knew it and he blew it! Continuing to run now is clearly a waste of money.

IowaWoman on July 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Another politician telling us, “Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?”

Bu-bye.

Fallon on July 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

“If Gingrich has truly changed his mind about AGW and government intervention, then he needs to admit he was wrong and explain his conversion (as Pawlenty did).”

Ed, you write as if anyone might have need for Newt in the future or a desire to heed his advice.

I don’t and could care less if he apologizes for his stupid*, on-the-couch, moment. The sooner Newt goes away, the sooner more knowledgeable and wiser leaders will take his place.

* — I say “stupid”. but I have little doubt he made money off that ad, if not directly then indirectly via a quid pro quo arrangment.

Dusty on July 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Dude, you weren’t “debating” the left on that junk science fad…you were agreeing with the left! Agreeing with San Fran Nan while sitting on a couch with the Botox queen during the filming of a commercial produced by a Gore charity isn’t going to get you far in a primary, pal.

crushliberalism on July 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Newt…..exit stage…. LEFT!

grapeknutz on July 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

What people on the right forget is that if Newt hadn’t made the feign left, Newt would never have gotten invited to testify when the Democrats had their big Global Warming Hearings in 2009. And Newt did put a massive kink in their show trial, and help stop congressional action while the libs had both houses and JEF in the WH.

So while Newt is not presidential, and comes up with as many bad ideas as good, stop hammering him on this one because his political maneuvering actually worked great…

Run Rick Run…

phreshone on July 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

db on July 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM

THIS. Thanks db

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on July 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Newt: Sorry about that climate-change ad with Nancy Pelosi, kind of

NEWT: You proved …again… that you can be “had” by liberals.

You can be useful to Republicans only if your ideas are vetted by true Conservatives in order to keep you on the proper path. If you can be “had” by liberals, it follows that you can also be “had” by our foreign enemies. You may be qualified as “staff” to a President…but only if you are properly supervised.

Now don’t waste any more time running for President.

landlines on July 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Newt’s had his 15 minutes. He blew it.

GarandFan on July 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM

People haven’t “misconstrued” anything about this ad.

Well, that depends on your definition of “misconstrued”.

If my “misconstrued”, you mean “well understood”, then clearly he was “misconstrued”.

JohnGalt23 on July 26, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Newt atoned for this sin by testifying, before Congress, when the Democrats stiffed Lord Monckton, after he’d flown to the U.S. to testify. Anyone who’s seen that testimony can forgive him for doing this ad with Pelosi.

Of course, more people saw the ad than saw his testimony, which is why you should never trust liberals.

Vote Republican and only be called a racist one more time.

bflat879 on July 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM

When I first saw this ad, I said to myself, “Newt’s finished.” I was right.

Rational Thought on July 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Could they get any closer together on that little love seat?

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Yeah, what’s up with that sitzpinkeln position, Newtie?

AH_C on July 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Gingrich can’t admit he was wrong

I’ll shout this out even if I have to vote for him. (Don’t think so)

shick on July 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM

The chance to apologize turns into an insult directed at those who have misconstrued.

shick on July 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

flyfisher on July 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Don’t forget, his admin was also driving research in mileage tax, because as more cars become fuel-efficient, their highway coffers would shrink.

While that is a fact, the solution being tested was wrong on so many points, starting with real-time tracking users via GPS.

Unacceptable from the privacy POV. The constitutional approach would be to look along the lines of a tax levied at the vehicle, i.e. annual fees prorated to accumulated miles. Yes, there might be fraud associated with dialling back the odometer, but deal with it from there, i.e. anti-tampering.

But to start from the position that “we” must track every mile to avoid fraud adds cost and IS big brotherism. But as T-Paw once said, the age of small govt is over and big-brother needs to be more aggressive.

That’s another T-Paw fail on conservative grounds and makes him a CINO.

AH_C on July 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM

This would be more interesting if it involved one of the real candidates.

mankai on July 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, these smarties always fall back on that “you’re not sophisticated enough to understand” crap.

I was never gonna vote for Newt anyway – he was not a Tea Partyish guy until he realized how widespread this revolt had become. A typical political opportunist, like Romney.

I will not vote for a RINO if that’s what the Republicans give us, whether or not there is a third-party candidate in the running.

disa on July 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Newt changed his position after the blowback from the ad. on rush’s show he tried to use this same excuse. it didn’t work then, i don’t think it will work now.

unseen on July 26, 2011 at 12:39 PM

In his inaugural American Solutions seminar weekend, he was all over Climate Change like a dog in heat. He was mostly definitely a Glowarmer until he saw polling data for Drill Baby Drill.

Kermit on July 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Sorry Newt. You had your chance and you blew it big time. Thanks for nothing, take your ball and GTFO.

jackal40 on July 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I don’t know how he’s continuing to campaign with that big fork stuck in him.

SukieTawdry on July 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Newt who?

flytier on July 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM

This looks like a typical Beltway non-apology apology

That’s why Newt’s a non-candidate candidate. He has a zero percent chance of winning.

rmgraha on July 26, 2011 at 1:02 PM

bloviator on July 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM
You have one in your family too, huh?

“Oh great…Doug is here.”

Bishop on July 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

ROFLMAO!!!

Newt is neither naive, or duped, or anything else when it comes to libs, and their AGW crap. They offer these guys a way into the investment, and a way to make millions, if not billions, duping people around the world on this crap. I just think these beliefs by these rubes is more about the money than it is about saving earth.

C’mon. Substituting light bulbs with bulbs that contain poisonous mercury? This is better? Safer? That’s the only proof one needs, to know this is all bogus crap. There are more examples, but this is just soooooo obvious.

capejasmine on July 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Newt…

… I really thought you could add so much to the debates, even though I knew you didn’t have a snow balls chance in he%% of winning.

But you had a chance, a chance to finally come out and slam the man made global warming hoax once and for all…

… and you fumbled the ball.

Say “Hi” to the wifey poo…

… Maybe you can get a gig in the next Administration.

Seven Percent Solution on July 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Gingrich is a liar!

TheAlamos on July 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM

It’s hard to be humble when you’re as great as I am…

– Newt(ered)

karl9000 on July 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Newt said… people “misconstrued” his attempts to start a debate:

Newt lies.

Listen to the Newt Pelosi video, Newt says we must “must take action” and that people should “demand action.”

Words have meaning, he didn’t call for debate, twice he called for “action.”

RJL on July 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Could they get any closer together on that little love seat?

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

It really is disgusting, isn’t it? I can’t believe this guy was the architect of the Contract with America. What a shmuck.

Kensington on July 26, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Newt’s Grand Strategy is to move toward the center or even the center-left and force conservatives to support him as the lesser evil. That’s why he supported DeDe, sat on the couch and stabbed the House Republicans in the back. One of these actions could simply be written off as a mistake, three of them is a pattern. Unfortunately for Newt the “Lesser Evil” strategy only works after you’ve been nominated, not before. Newt ask yourself one question, who in their right mind do you think will support you TODAY?

Fred 2 on July 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Gingrich can’t admit he was wrong

“Pride goes before destruction,
and a haughty spirit before a fall.”

Proverbs 16:18

oldleprechaun on July 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I am not sure he can do anything that will atone for agreeing with Pelosi on anything!

pgrossjr on July 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Newt & Nancy 2012 campaign slogan contest!

American Elephant on July 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I know the thread is dead, but this ad was one of the things that just really killed any respect I ever had for Newt.

Newt, you’re done. You’ve shown that you have no core values or principles. Despite the fact that we once respected and admired you, you removed that suit and put on the suit of the day when it was what you thought to your advantage.

Forget it Newt, we just aren’t that into you.

AZfederalist on July 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Why can’t we get more conservatives who will debate AGW and call it a fraud!

jeffn21 on July 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM

This is because the great majority of conservatives (this one included) are of the opinion that it isn’t a fraud, and that scientists (the experts in their fields) are competent. It’s only a fringe of the conservative camp that completely dismisses the severe threat of AGW.

oakland on July 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM

He has a promising career writing history books.

kens on July 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM