McDonald’s to revamp Happy Meals because you’re too dumb to watch what your kid eats

posted at 7:59 pm on July 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

Fair headline? Well, until now, when ordering a Happy Meal you had a choice between the traditional burger and fries and a more nutritious but-mom-I-don’t-want-that burger with apple slices. But it turns out most of you were choosing “poorly.”

And so your choice had to be taken away.

McDonald’s on Tuesday said that it would add apple slices and reduce the portion of French fries in its children’s meal boxes beginning this fall, effectively taking away consumers’ current choice between either having apples with caramel dip or fries as a Happy Meal side…

Critics wasted no time complaining that McDonald’s changes don’t go far enough. Kelle Louaillier, executive director of a group called Corporate Accountability International, said McDonald’s is just trying to get ahead of impending regulations that will restrict the marketing of junk food to children and require restaurants to post nutrition information on menus, among other changes…

Cindy Goody, McDonald’s senior director of nutrition, said that the new directives are “absolutely not” related to new regulations. Rather, she said, they’re a response to customers asking for healthier choices.

But apparently, customers aren’t making those choices in practice. Indeed, only about 11 percent of customers were ordering apples with their Happy Meals, even though 88 percent were aware they had the option, the restaurant said…

“The key is, will this get parents to go to McDonald’s one more time each month than they would have otherwise?” said Marek, whose company helps restaurants forecast whether new programs will drive sales.

In fact, per the article, they already offer leaner, healthier Happy Meals for calorie-conscious parents. The McNuggets meal features apples and contains just slightly more than half the calories of the traditional meal, in case the thought of your child splurging every few weeks on a little bag of fries is too much to bear. How you reconcile that fact with the theory that pushing healthier kids’ meals is somehow bound to increase McDonald’s business, I have no idea. Any parent who frets enough about their little one’s caloric intake to care whether apples are being swapped for fries is probably already ordering the healthier Happy Meal for them. And if you’re taking your kid to McD’s every two weeks, say, you could get the same effect as the new menu change by ordering the traditional meal one visit and then a healthier one the next. See how easy it is to improve your child’s health, even sans regulations or outright prohibitions, if you’re barely sentient and paying the slightest bit of attention to what they’re doing and eating?

But then, McDonald’s isn’t doing this to attract customers. They’re doing it to reduce the hassles from pains in the ass like this. In fact, I’m tempted to say this creates an opening for Burger King to produce tasty yet fatty fare for parents who want to treat the younglings to a splurge — but guess what. Exit quotation from the White House’s unofficial food czar: “I’ve always said that everyone has a role to play in making America healthier, and these are positive steps toward the goal of solving the problem of childhood obesity.”

Comments

An Apple a Day keeps you out of Ronald McDonald House..

KZnextzone on July 26, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Apple growers will be thrilled as their product will now be sold… even though the eventual captive consumers will probably end up trashing most of the product.

I’m a mom. I know.

UnderstandingisPower on July 26, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Allahpundit, get with the program. Can’t you see their building a Utopia here?

cough…cough…

NickDeringer on July 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM

And so your choice had to be taken away.

Now, who are the folks that are ‘Pro-choice’?

Chip on July 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM

‘Personal Responsibility??? Never heard of it!!’
-Charles Gibson

BigWyo on July 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

What impending food regulations? I’m so glad my kids are grown, I’m so sick of Big Brother nosing into other peoples’ business.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

OH, and can we require Miss “I know better how your kids should eat than you do” to use this meal as her “splurge” instead of that… you know, 1,700 calorie monstrosity she downed a couple weeks ago? After all, I think she could stand to lose a few pounds herself.

UnderstandingisPower on July 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

More fries for Michelle now.

JFS61 on July 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM

So in other words, farmers will produce apples that no one will eat but will end up filling up a landfill or being crushed on the floor of the station wagon.

Great job libs!

jjrakman on July 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM

First they came for the toys, then the french fries……

rukiddingme on July 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Just spring for an extra dollar fries. Or let Junior eat some of yours. Problem solved.

JammieWearingFool on July 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM

OH, and can we require Miss “I know better how your kids should eat than you do” to use this meal as her “splurge” instead of that… you know, 1,700 calorie monstrosity she downed a couple weeks ago? After all, I think she could stand to lose more than a few pounds herself.

UnderstandingisPower on July 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

FIFY

chewmeister on July 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM

“Let them eat cake tofu.”

chewmeister on July 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Health nuts won this battle. First they came for the Happy Meal. Next they’ll come for the french fries. Then they’ll take the Big Macs!!!

taney71 on July 26, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Just, keep your hands off my plate! Grrrrrrrrrr.

Sharr on July 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I was at a Wendy’s the other day. A mom with a slightly chubby little girl asked her if she wanted a salad. The little girl said yes, then the smart mom asked her if she was going to eat the salad. The little girl shook her head no. Wise mom didn’t waster her money.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I would imagine Mac’s gets sued by some shyster lawyer about every 5 minutes. This sounds like CYA…

repvoter on July 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM

My kids love McDonald’s, but only get to go there rarely, as a treat. (Like maybe 4-5 times per year.) But when they get to go, they want fries. In fact, my older son is actually allergic to the apple slices. So they darn well better give him extra fries instead of the apple slices, or guess who will be going to Burger King or Wendy’s instead!

acasilaco on July 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Limiting the x-box time will go a long ways in battling the child obesity problem.

multiuseless on July 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM

The worry is over this:

McDonald’s small fries
Calories: 231
Total fat: 11.5g
Total carbs: 29g
Protein: 2.8g
Calcium: 9.2mg

THAT?

*shakes head*

And I remember when they were REAL french fries done in BEEF TALLOW… I miss those fries…

ajacksonian on July 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Have it theeeir way!

flataffect on July 26, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Thank God there is a McDonalds…’cause without them we would all starve!

Last time I checked, people could shove food into their mouths at any location other then a McDonalds?
Fix that Government!

Electrongod on July 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM

A lot of their menu options are surprisingly healthy, at least when you compare them to other fast food places.

McDonald’s is a ridiculously well run company. This move has more to do with making money than anything else, even if the money comes as a result of not having to waste as much of it on PR.

BadgerHawk on July 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Here’s what McD’s should do. STOP producing happy meals, and then, turn to making unhappy meals, brought to you by the imperial federal government.

p51d007 on July 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Supply heavy weaponry to criminals? A-okay!

Want to have a choice in what you feed you kid? No-way!

Chip on July 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM

It’s really a testament to these frustrating times when you have two Allah posts in one night with the word “ass” in them.

Vigilante on July 26, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Next they will be coming for my Moo Shu Pork.

chewmeister on July 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM

The headline in the San Francisco Examiner is:

Eric Mar takes credit for shaking up fast-food industry after McDonald’s announcement

You remember San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar, don’t you? He is the guy who wanted to ban Happy Meals in San Francisco.

Mar considered the announcement a good first step, but said fast food restaurants “need to do much more to meet basic nutritional standards to cut fat, sugar, salt and calories especially in their meals targeted to children in which they use toys to lure our youth into habits of eating unhealthy junk food.”

Liberals will NEVER stop trying to control you!

wren on July 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Apple slices with caramel dip? Isn’t that an awful lot of sugar for little Junior? Wouldn’t celery sticks with tofu be healthier?

I’m so sick of these nanny-state fascists trying to micromanage everybody else’s lives. Michelle Obama should shut her overprivileged, ill-bred, unattractive mouth and keep her nose out of other peoples’ business.

AZCoyote on July 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM

First Amendment be damned when the welfare of the chilldddddddrennnnnn are at stake.

Cicero43 on July 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Call McDonalds and complain. They listen to the consumer.

I’ll tell them to shove the apples (that taste nasty) and give me a regular kids order of fries. then I’ll order a small fry to go with it.

kringeesmom on July 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Put Obama’s jug-eared purple-lipped mug on the box. It’ll kill the kids’ appetite completely.

Cicero43 on July 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM

BurgerKing coming out with a new sandwich called the “you-eat-your-lunch-and-I’ll-eat-mine-and-we’ll-both-just-mind-our-own-damn-business” burger.

kurtzz3 on July 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Contact the White House and tell them to but out.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Liberals will NEVER stop trying to control you!

wren on July 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM

This seems rather appropriate-

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

— C.S. Lewis

Jay Mac on July 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I agree that there’s too many people who shouldn’t be allowed to raise hamsters much less have children.

However, this butting in to every aspect of our lives for the good of the morons is beyond annoying.

tru2tx on July 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Soft, bland, turning brown apple slices. Yum!

Blake on July 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM

1. Accept government bullies, put apples in Happy Meals.
2. Customers reject Happy Meals, buy regular more expensive meals for children.
3. Profit.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I raised 3 sons and we went to McDonalds plenty of times. We played in their playgrounds, we bought their crappy food…it was an OUTING. Kind of like going to the park. Now I don’t see anything wrong with that, it was kind of like going out for ice cream. It was a treat. Sometimes it was a bribe. But for the most part at home they were fed home cooked meals and fast food was the result of a mother coming home too exhausted to go grocery shopping or cook a meal. They can put all the apples they want in a Happy Meal…kids won’t eat them. They like FRIES. What are they going to replace the crappy chicken nuggets with? Carrot patties?

scalleywag on July 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM

“Excuse me, mister, umm, could you buy me a large fries? You can keep the change.”

AshleyTKing on July 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM

How soon before Barry lets Michelle put out a “Daily Menu” for all of us to follow under penalty of law?

I’m sure the “Constitutional Scholar” can find authority in the Commerce Clause somewhere.

GarandFan on July 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM

How about you take your kids to the park, or the pool, or let them run around in the yard…you know, that stuff you do besides taking them to day care or parking them in front of the idiot box.

Short of a glandular disorder, you have to engage in gross malnutrition for a child to become obese if they are engaging in regular exercise.

Probably doesn’t help that schools have banned games and exercise in recess that might be “dangerous” and playground equipment that promotes healthy muscle growth, like monkey bars, rings, ladders, etc.

That being said, I still say the best education and best nutrition begin at home. Eat right and exercise.

Oh, yeah, parents, it’s good for you, too.

Sgt Steve on July 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM

‘require restaurants to post nutrition information on menus, among other changes…’

After 25 years of battling an eating disorder I don’t have many ‘triggers’-but seeing the ‘numbers’ listed on a menu board is still a big one for me.
Can’t I just enjoy my fries(McD’s has the best fries) in peace?
Guess not.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM

They’re doing it to reduce the hassles from pains in the ass like this.

Pains in the ass like this? No wonder they’re running for the hills.

KingGold on July 26, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I’m surprised I’m as insulted by this as I am, actually. I make sure that my kids eat fresh, whole foods in nearly every meal, homemade, on a budget. Somehow we manage that, right? So when I treat my kids to a Happy Meal, I’m well aware that it’s crap…but I’m OK with that because it’s a fun splurge. Adding apples wont make the rest of the meal less crappy, but will make it less desirable since they seem to prefer pandering to special interest groups over the consumer (and parental choice). I’ll pass.

Bee on July 26, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Oh, yeah, parents, it’s good for you, too.

Sgt Steve on July 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM

MOST parents do plenty of activities that promote exercise, they have kids in soccer, boy scouts, they go camping, they go to the park, they play all kinds of outdoor games, they go to the pool…for the government to suggest they aren’t doing a good enough job of feeding their kids properly and need some sort of intervention is absurd. Some parents don’t pay enough attention, does that mean the rest of the parents need supervision?

scalleywag on July 26, 2011 at 8:48 PM

no such thing as personal responsibility anymore no?

cmsinaz on July 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I’m glad mine is almost grown.
He’s 6’0 and maybe 130. He’d look terrific-okay more terrific-if he’d add on a few pounds.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM

From McDonald’s website: It started with you.

The new Happy Meal will automatically include both produce (apple slices, a quarter cup or half serving) and a new smaller size French fries (1.1 ounces) along with the choice of a Hamburger, Cheeseburger or Chicken McNuggets,… For those customers who prefer a side choice of apples only, two bags of apple slices will be available, upon request.

They will have a ½ fry with apples, w/o the caramel dip. They also have “MyPlate” on their web page.

They are having a listening tour this summer.

Listening Tour: To ensure that our ongoing commitments are supporting parents and communities, McDonald’s U.S. executive leadership team will embark on a national listening tour in August. This series of town hall style meetings will connect us directly with parents and nutrition experts for important dialogue about how McDonald’s can continue to play a role in children’s well being. Be sure to check back on McDonalds.com this summer for more updates on McDonald’s Listening Tour.

Tell them how you feel!
Keep your hands off my meals!!

atxcowgirl on July 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Here’s the kicker.

If McDonalds is going to force Apple Dippers on my kid, and he doesn’t want them, I’m getting an adult meal for him and splitting it with him in addition to my own meal. He doesn’t play with the toys anyway.

People will ALWAYS find ways around Nanny Statism, until it gets to be too much in which case they will flat out ignore it. People will buy what they want to buy, and if you take the option away, prepare for hell. Just imagine if some angry woman decided to call 911 because you don’t have any McNuggets… oh, wait.

Cheesecakecrush on July 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM

We’re doing this for your own good, wingnuts.
Just don’t you go around “imposing your values” on everyone.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Oh ,and you’re going to have to use only government approved light bulbs ‘cuz we won’t let you make wasteful energy choices.
And ,again, dammit, you better not impose your redneck values on everyone.
Wingnuts.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

When I eat McDonald’s I am well aware of what I am eating. Guess what? I don’t care. There is a reason I order it: I like it. I guess I will have to take my business elsewhere if they continue on like this. I was just there a couple of days ago and I almost went back up because my medium fry was only about half-full. I’m pretty sure most Americans could care less as well and it should be in the interest of that company to accommodate what the consumer wants, not some stupid regulations.

RDE2010 on July 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I was watching TV a few weeks ago, just flipping channels when I came across a commercial for the old Dean Martin Roasts. I sat and watched about 20 minutes of it. I was just a kid at the time, but I used to love those old roasts. They were so funny! Just hilarious!
And here I was sitting on my couch watching clips from these things and found myself laughing again! they are still so funny!

Well, anyway, I start to realize how all these stars just seemed to be having so much fun as they sat there eating, drinking, smoking up a storm and cutting into each other with all these sarcastic jokes… and nobody seemed to care! Nobody was there to complain about the cigarette smoke.. or that drinking was bad or that the steak was contributing to global warming or that the joke was too offensive and insensitive!

All these adults who lived to ripe old ages, laughing, drinking, smoking and eating meat and potatoes probably every single day of their lives in one form or another.. and I missed the old days. The old days when people just ate and drank and people just had fun.
Do you know what is really under assault in the country? It is fun! It’s not about the Happy Meal.. it’s about people going in and eating something, sharing something with their children and just having fun! Just relaxing without a care in the world and eating what you feel like eating and enjoying it!
That is what is offensive to some people! If Happy Meals were originally filled with sprouts and carrots and tofu and kids and parents loved it and McDonalds was making a massive profit from it liberals would want to change it to cheeseburgers and fries!

Do you realize how many freaking liberal mores a man can break by just getting up from his couch, driving his SUV to McDonalds, eating cheeseburgers and ice cream until your filled, going to the bathroom, firing up the SUV again and spitting out the freaking window? Figure it out!

When a thug breaks into your house a night, beats you up and rapes your kids and murders everyone in the house before taking everything you own.. a liberal won’t see a murderous thug. A lib sees a victim! Somebody who needs compassion, a reprieve and a second chance!

But man, such good eyes libs have for everything else! They don’t see a company just selling burgers and fries, no.. they see an evil murderous corporation inspired by Satan himself pushing burgers down children’s throats to make them fat and die early while their parents are to freaking stupid to know any better!

JellyToast on July 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I think it’s simply that people Do want healthier choices.
I also read that one can opt to have only fries and no apples, or no fries and only apples.
What’s the big deal?

bridgetown on July 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM

When our kids were little, they were rewarded with a Happy Meal on weekends if they’d had good weeks. The fires and toys were the big attractions and the occasional treat was fine with us. To hell with the nannies that rip small pleasures from people. We’re smart enough to take care of our own.

obladioblada on July 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM

This is scandalous …. Michelle’s Operation Fat and Furious!!

ziggyville on July 26, 2011 at 9:37 PM

This is the comment I sent McDonalds: I live a half block from a McDonald’s. Thanks to the intrepid bloggers over @ Hot Air I’ve just learned that McDonald’s intends to put menu items nutritional information on the menu board. For those of us who battle eating disorders-in my case it’s an exercise addiction that I’ve fought for TWENTY FIVE YEARS-seeing nutritional info on a menu board can trigger an eating disorder relapse. One can avoid pamphlets or throw out packaging and wrappers-not so with a menu board. I enjoy Mickey D’s fries on occasion. I know they’re not good for me-but that’s fine-because I don’t ‘live’ on them.
Even if I did eat them regularly-well I’m almost 41. That’s MY choice. What me and my family eat is up to ME & MY FAMILY-NOT the rather hefty Michelle Obama and her merry band of nanny-staters. If McD’s changes the menu board you will PERMANENTLY lose my business because it will say to me(and others) that you consider your customers too stupid to make the right choices w/out Big Government’s assistance. If you don’t value my business there are other fast food places that would welcome it. Put the nutritional info up on your menu boards-and they’ll be getting it!

McDonald’s won’t let you submit your question unless you fill in your address, email, and phone. While I gave them my real name and e-mail they had no need for anything else-so I made things up. phone was 555-555-5555. Zip was ALL sixes etc.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Heres your real target folks:
Center for Science in the Public Interest

These people and their contributors are the ones who are f*&^ing you over and good.

Breitbart needs to infiltrate these people.

orbitalair on July 26, 2011 at 10:18 PM

My 3 1/2 year old grandson will still be eating McDonalds Friench Fries with his Grandpa and there ain’t a dadgum thing Moochelle and the rest of the Progs can do about it.

kingsjester on July 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM

The old days when people just ate and drank and people just had fun.

Do you know what is really under assault in the country? It is fun!

JellyToast on July 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Yup. Liberals suck the joy out of everything. Jokes, food, families…

Fallon on July 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Answer: Make your own french fries. In fact, make your own food. Fast food is too expensive and not filling enough for the young adults in my house, except for Chipotle’s burritos.

Tonight, we had large pork chops marinated in soy sauce (best ever!), Yukon Gold potatoes with an herb/spices/olive oil/butter mix, crescent rolls with brown sugar and butter (my grandma’s recipe) and raspberries. We are all too full for dessert.

Common Sense on July 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Here’s a tip,plastic.Buy stock in trash cans.McD’s will be buying many large ones for all of the extra trash that the kids won’t eat.

docflash on July 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Okay mess with McDonalds, but keep your filthy hands off of my Bojangles and Popeyes.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Possible new names for the “Happy Meal”

1. “Fear Meal”
2. “The Happy or Else Meal”
3. “Obedient Meal”
4. “Lil’ Comrade Meal”
5. “Nazi Youth Snack”
6 “No Fries Fascist Meal”
7. “Michellini Meal”
8. “Great Leap Forward MAO-meal”
9. “Let Them Eat Organic Arugula Meal”
10. “State Approved Meal”

DeathB4Tyranny on July 26, 2011 at 10:46 PM

WTF happened to my country??

Shiloh65 on July 26, 2011 at 11:05 PM

WTF happened to my country??

Shiloh65 on July 26, 2011 at 11:05 PM

The first lady found out she could use your dime to double-size her butt.

Yoop on July 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Oh FFS, the liberals scream about keeping people out of women’s uterus, but they are OK with screeching until they dictate what is in my kid’s Happy Meal? EABOD.

sybilll on July 26, 2011 at 11:47 PM

No french fries, but a dessert-sweet caramel dip made from burnt sugar. How is that better than fries? No fat? Well, given the diabetes epidemic, I’d prefer to take my calories in fat.

njcommuter on July 26, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I like how they will vend half the amount of fries yet they never mentioned any reduction in price. Hmmm…

“Lower fat! Same Great Price!”

Thanks! Pleasure-Nazis…

shorebird on July 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Double Down Happy Meal

Ronnie on July 27, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Hey, McDonald’s got their exemption from ObamaCare, didn’t they?

Quid, meet Quo.

Adjoran on July 27, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Don’t apples contain the most pesticide? I smell class action lawsuit. John Edwards may have a shot at a comeback after all!

mossberg500 on July 27, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Big Brother knows best. Period!End of story! How do you instill in people the premise that Big Brother is, in fact, “all knowing”? By the SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY technique.

Psychologically encourage and reinforce (reward) the idea that people are “too dumb” to make their own decisions and denigrate and punish (psychologically and otherwise) anyone with a different opinion. By rewarding the stupid and unimaginative and intimidating the more enlightened you create an environment where the government does “in fact” (through lack of any organized opposition) “know best”.

Some call it liberalism. Others call it a calculated dictatorship.

MaiDee on July 27, 2011 at 6:26 AM

WTF! Next we will be required to sign a wavier for our children to remove liability if they become obese. I can already see that document being pulled out in court by DHR.

Elchasebo on July 27, 2011 at 6:52 AM

No, next up the state takes your children.

englishqueen01 on July 27, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I’m a frequent McDonald’s consumer, but not always of the meals. I don’t get the Happy Meals because my son is almost 3 and prefers to eat our fries over his own, if he eats them at all (he prefers the chicken nuggets). Most of the time I get him just a chocolate milk just so we can play at the Playland.

And yet, my kid is at a healthy weight. Because he works off all that energy over the course of the day either by playing with the neighbor’s 3 year old, going to the playground, or playing with my 13 and 17 year old stepkids.

ScoopPC11 on July 27, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I always get the apple slices for my two kids Happy Meals. Then I get and extra small fry for them to share.

CoffeeMan on July 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM

This whole thing is BS. If MCD’s wants to play politics instead of sell fast food, let them have away at it. Burger King is a block away in my town.

As a small business man, I like to think that business in general is the backbone of our country. However, I’ve come to the decision that corporate America is basically a bunch of whores who would support Hitler as long as Hitler could make their profits go up a little. Large corporations have so much money and power that they could use to fight the government when they push crap like this, but they always instinctively fold.

This we have nutritional info pasted everywhere (even though it’s been proven that it doesn’t change consumers’ minds), and now we see the beginning of the end of our freedom to choose what we eat.

Free Indeed on July 27, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Can you ask for the small fries instead of the apple slices? If not – this is BS.

Parents always had the choice to ask for the apple slices instead of the fries so I find it suspicious that they would request “healthier options”. Unless the parents are too cowardly to tell their kids no to the fries – which sadly is probably the case.

CityFish on July 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Kids don’t get obese from fast food alone. Just look at some of the carts at shoppers in Walmart sometime. Sugary drinks, high fat snacks…what’s next? Cart inspectors? Banning Mountain Dew and Twinkies?

scalleywag on July 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I agree. it should be carrot sticks and cottage cheese. Talk about something going in the dumpster in a hurry.
And btw, i’m not a big McD fan, i go there now and again for a Big Mac. My fries favorite is Five Guys.

abcurtis on July 27, 2011 at 9:29 AM

My link didnt appear in my previous post.

abcurtis on July 27, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Apple slices don’t go with hamburgers. FRENCH FRIES go with hamburgers. It’s the all American meal. Or it was. Next thing you know they’ll be putting carrot sticks on our peanut butter sammies and filling our ice cream trucks with tofu.

scalleywag on July 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Meanwhile Moo is stuffing her hefty frame with salt and grease as quickly as she can. Better hurry,time is running out for all that free food.

UnEasyRider on July 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Good grief. It’s not a mandatory change, they’re only changing the default order. We’ve been ordering apples with our kids’ meals for years, and we’ve just thrown away the caramel all along. The last thing my kids need is extra sugar.

But changing the default order isn’t the same as forcing parents to make any sort of choice.

Snaqwels on July 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I wonder if there could be another reason why this particular type of pressure is being brought to bear on McDs, but surely I’m just nutty…..

Let’s see….what state is really famous for apples? Could it be true blue Washington state? I know apples are grown elsewhere, so it probably has no bearing….

What state is really famous for potatoes? Redder than red Idaho? I know potatoes are grown elsewhere, so I’m sure it’s just a coincidence….

Follow the (contribution) money….

runawayyyy on July 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM