Reid: I have an exciting new compromise debt deal for you radical right-wing extremists

posted at 6:00 pm on July 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

The Corner has a rundown of Boehner’s two-step short-term proposal — lots o’ buck-passing to a commission plus some procedural chicanery a la Mitch McConnell’s proposal plus a vote on a balanced-budget amendment down the line — but I think it’s a nonstarter. The Cut, Cup, and Balance coalition has already rejected it, which, if all members abide by that, means Boehner’s bill would start without 39 GOP votes in the House and 12 Republican votes in the Senate. Maybe the CCB crowd is playing good cop/bad cop with Boehner, trying to frighten the White House and Reid into agreeing to more concessions as the deadline looms, but eyeball their membership roster. Usually they mean what they say.

As for Reid’s plan: $2.7 trillion in cuts and no tax hikes — but no entitlement reform either, and fully $1 trillion of those “cuts” are merely the savings the feds have already been counting on from winding down the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Obama endorsed it about an hour ago, notwithstanding his weeks-long demand for new revenue, because it ensures that the next debt-ceiling debate won’t happen until 2013 and thus achieves his main/only goal of helping him get reelected. In fact, per Ed’s post this morning, remember that as of this weekend Boehner’s short-term plan was Reid’s plan. They were going to present it as a bipartisan compromise until The One intervened and reminded Dingy Harry what’s truly important to America, namely, another four years of Barack Obama. So Reid caved, even though Obama surely would have signed Boehner’s plan, and threw this thing together as quickly and haphazardly as he could. How haphazardly? Feast your eyes.

And that’s where we are at right now. Check back in an hour or two and we’ll probably have another 15-20 new proposals to fill you in on. Via Greg Hengler, here’s Dingy’s salute to the CCB coalition, which inexplicably makes it even harder for moderate Republicans in the House and Senate to vote for his plan. Which GOPer would want to take sides against the tea party with a guy who’s dumping on them as “extremists”? Exit question: Doesn’t Reid have the upper hand on Boehner right now? We already know that the GOP caucus is split over Boehner’s proposal whereas the Democrats might support Reid’s plan fairly uniformly, especially in the Senate. It’ll be a tough sell to progressives in the House, but the fact that it doesn’t touch entitlements and that Obama’s backing it (and sure to talk it up during his speech tonight) makes things somewhat easier. If Pelosi/Hoyer can deliver 100 Democrats in the name of averting default, Boehner might be able to deliver 120 Republicans, especially now that some righties are half-praising Reid’s bill as not so bad.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t care to listen to this Left wing radical.

honsy on July 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Where have you been, AP?

TC@LeatherPenguin on July 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I love how Obama thinks he’s going to get relected if we don’t have another debt ceiling debate next year. Obama’s not getting reelected if he, Michelle, and Keith Olbermann are the last three people alive int he US in 2012. Just say no to crack, kids.

Kataklysmic on July 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM

AND HAVE WE GOT A BRIDGE FOR YOU TO BUY!

Dhuka on July 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Is this deal outdated?

El_Terrible on July 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Boehner is supposed to give a “rebuttal.” That doesn’t sound like he is going to join Harry. I actually think that Obama may try the”nuclear” option of raising the debt limit himself eventually. Especially if his his numbers keep dropping.

sandee on July 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Don’t bother with the details, we can find out what exactly the plan is later, after it’s passed. We can and should trust Harry Reid.

Bishop on July 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM

DO NOT CAVE GOP!!! Stand your ground!!!

capejasmine on July 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM

In other words, it’s all smoke and mirrors. Just like the 2011 budget negotiations. Unfortunately the GOP may not get much more than this until they retake the Senate and White House. Even if they manage to get the Dems to cave on a short-term deal, does anyone believe Obama or Reid will be willing to make entitlement cuts next year when they’re in the middle of their “scare seniors” tour around the country?

Doughboy on July 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Doesn’t Reid have the upper hand on Boehner right now

?

I don’t think so, not yet anyway. Boehner still has an upper hand by supporting a plan that has already passed a chamber with bipartisan support. So if House Republicans hold, I think a lot of pressure can be placed on Senate Dems to support CCB/BBA. The problem is, I think Boehner’s all but dropped that route, thinking (wrongfully in my opinion) that it’s a no go in the Senate. By dropping that route and going with a new plan that’s essentially at the same level of “development” as Reid’s, things are pretty much even-steven. Which is why I think Obama’s going to do his little speech tonight, to try and force some momentum. But the final say is still the House.

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Just say “no”

to raising the debt ceiling.

AUH2O on July 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Anyone who would trust Reid with their car keys is insane. This leftwing radical psycho extremist is so corrupt his mother wouldn’t spit on him if he was on fire. The “War is Lost” Harry Reid is just another liberal reinforcing liberalism is a progressive mental disorder and he is in the latter stages.

volsense on July 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM

UGH I think I need a break from all of this. My head hurts, I’m cranky and I’m eating mounds and mounds of chocolate.

Wake me when Perry gets in the race LOL!

gophergirl on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

No compromise from Dems on entitlement cuts and no compromise from the GOP on tax increases. Both sides are showing incredible character by refusing to negotiate. This is exactly what the far left and far right wanted to see happen. The result is a watered down bill that doesn’t actually cut much of anything or increase revenue.

Winning!

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Doughboy: Remember, the GOP SHOULD be perfectly happy with no debt ceiling increase at all. That means that the Democrats should be making all the concessions.

Funny… the GOP still hasn’t figured out what to do with a strong hand.

Scott H on July 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM

From AP’s haphazard link:

Senate majority leader Harry Reid introduced a proposal today that he says would give Republicans everything they want in a debt ceiling deal: It would reduce the deficit by $2.7 trillion over 10 years, without raising taxes. But the plan was light on details of what gets cut–and when.

How much does the plan cut up front in 2012? Reid isn’t sure. “You know, I am not much of a numbers wonk,” Reid told THE WEEKLY STANDARD during a press conference this afternoon. “Get that from my staff, okay?”

It’s all politics with the Dems.

INC on July 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM

In other words, Reid wants a blank bill (a la, pass it to find out what’s in it) and will say anything about it to get it to pass.

INC on July 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM

As long as I have been alive, I’ve never heard an actual human corpse speak.

Now I have. I feel better now. Don’t you?

Key West Reader on July 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM

The Cut, Cup, and Balance coalition has already rejected it,

Is that a play on Cut, Cap & Balance that I’m not getting?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM

House GOP has already voted to pass a debt ceiling increase for all intents and purposes. The GOP voted almost unanimously to pass the Ryan budget, which doesn’t come close to cutting enough to avoid raising the ceiling. So their posturing now really doesn’t look that principled to me. It kind of makes them look stupid.

Mark1971 on July 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM

This really doesn’t pass the laugh test, Harry.

rockmom on July 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Wake me when Perry gets in the race LOL!

gophergirl on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Ahhh, you must eat well.

Chicken Saute’ with fresh tomato, pepper jack cheese, Cuban rice, fresh broccoli and fresh salad. A glass of French Chardonnay and some ice water.

Such a feast as I watch the COTUS have a tantrum.

A wonderful evening.

Key West Reader on July 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM

if Bluffy raises the debt ceiling himself, does that make him look like a real leader or a dictator?

boehner needs to hammer hard. he has Barky boxed in a corner.

kelley in virginia on July 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM

If I watch that clip my blood will literally boil. And where has Captain Demagogue been today? Campaigning?

scalleywag on July 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I hope Boehner won’t get onboard. He has already stated that the savings are more DC gimmickery. I’ve had enough of this crap! They cannot address spending? Really? Reid, Pelosi & Obama have raised spending by at least 25%! Lets start there. These people are the most incompetent, disgusting, pukes ever to slither around in that cesspool called Washington DC. I despise them.

JAM on July 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I know that many Are, but it’s still amazing to me how these people think that most Americans are just freakin’ brain dead and/or not paying attention at all.

A quote that I love:
Warren Buffet says, “I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for reelection.”

bridgetown on July 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Reid’s plan has to be dead on arrival, because it doesn’t address the long term structural issues that this nation is facing. If Reid’s plan is adopted, we will surely lose our AAA status. That’s almost a given already. There are weak Dems in the Senate, if enough pressure is added, they will buckle. When I spoke to Sen. Nelson’s office late last week, they sounded very open to the CCB/BBA. I’m sure he only voted the way he did to try and kill it fast per Reid‘s design. But if brought back up and debated on the floor of the senate, I think enough Dems would vote for it.

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

even those who love Bambi & believe all the horror stories about NOT raising the debt ceiling (elderly would die that veritable instant et al), think Bambi is not really leading.

kelley in virginia on July 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Key West Reader on July 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM

That sounds wonderful!

gophergirl on July 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Didn’t I just read that Reid’s “savings” were from money for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM

will we have open thread during Bambi’s speech? i would like that since I can laugh/scream along with you AND watch John Wayne take Iwo Jima.

kelley in virginia on July 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM

If the so called independents don’t see Obama for the biggest azzhole that he is, then they are no better.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM

It’s all politics with the Dems.

INC on July 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM

May they and the media be punished, harshly.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM

As long as I have been alive, I’ve never heard an actual human corpse speak.

Now I have. I feel better now. Don’t you?

Key West Reader on July 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Heh. But seriously, isn’t there anyone who can beat this a**hole in the next election? Five and a half more years of this sh*t. Good Lord. Thanks Sharon Angle!

NathanG on July 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Just what is the Democrat’s plan?

Chip on July 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM

boehner needs to hammer hard. he has Barky boxed in a corner.

kelley in virginia on July 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I have a rodent in my garage and a squirrel that has adopted us on my pool deck. I actually fed the rodent in the garage out of sympathy. I thought it was hungry and deserved some symathy. Lo and behold, the rodent ate all of the dog’s food, ripped open bags of reserves and actually tried to eat canned foodstuffs.

I withheld food from the rodent for exactly 4 days. It has left my garage, delivered me $130 in savings for rodent removal and my foodstuffs remain intact.

A good lesson for Eric Holder’s “people”.

Where will you go when nobody will pay for your support? You go to work. That’s where you go.

Key West Reader on July 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Winning!

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Your president is anything but, but he is a butt.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Harry Reid makes me wish SO MUCH that Pie-Face International was still operating!

pilamaye on July 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Yep. Only need about 5 or 6.

a capella on July 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I say stop paying the people in congress and their staff until they can provide the American people with a balanced budget and massive cuts that pay down our debt without raising the debt ceiling.

milwife88 on July 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Smoke and mirrors…

… slight of hand.

The Potomac ‘two-step’…

… bend over people, it’s going to be dry with no reach around.

Seven Percent Solution on July 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Exactly what I was thinking before I read this…I’m getting so confused.

lynncgb on July 25, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Our future?

Moody’s warns Greek default almost certain

NMRN123 on July 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM

milwife88 on July 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM

That, and you drug test, retroactively every welfare recipient and all entitlement recipients immediately. \

And, here’s a really bright idea! Determine US citizenship for all food stamp recipients. Using e verify.

/If they do that, the dems will lose their entire base through disqualification.

Perilous, indeed.

Key West Reader on July 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, but doesn’t Reid’s plan come with an S&P downgrade of American debt? I have to believe that if Reid’s plan is enacted, S&P is going to downgrade the debt since there aren’t meaningful spending reductions. S&P has already said as much and S&P doesn’t bluff.

My $0.02 anyway.

suburbanite on July 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Whining!

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Fixed for reality

NMRN123 on July 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM

This is becoming comically sad.

SouthernGent on July 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM

A mortician is in charge of the senate.

A clinically NPD’d guy is president.

They are both cornered. Snakes are more docile at this time.

Watch them good. Next year will be very tough.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Winning!
bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Yeah, but Charlie Sheen is much more mentally stable and reality based than your leftist hero.

LegendHasIt on July 25, 2011 at 6:36 PM

milwife88 on July 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM

That only happens to you and me if we don’t do our jobs. It doesn’t happen to royalty.

scalleywag on July 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM

All of these plans are political crap. So the Republicans want to cut spending by about $100 billion, out of a $3.5 trillion dollar budget, next year and call it a “victory” for fiscal sanity? Count me out on that. “Cut, cap and balance”? Well, “cut” means $100 billion out of $3.5 trillion. “Cap” means kick it to the next Congress to figure out. And “balance” means kick it to the states to see if enough of them will pass a Constitutional amendment. An amendment, I might add, that lots of states have already enacted without slowing down the gravy train one bit.

jdp629 on July 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Bayam funny you effin leftards haven’t had a budget in how long? You dummies had control of Congress and the WH up until very recently.What did you tards do? Hell you still have the Senate and the Presidency. You’re a joke. Blame this on your side not ours.You’re as pathetic as they get. Like Obummer you’re a loser.

CW on July 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM

120 gop will actually vote for harry plan? Seriously

cmsinaz on July 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM

It’s a soap opera.

kingsjester on July 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Winning!

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Good grief, on top of all your other failings you channel Dingy Charlie? I bet you also grow canine hair over all your body when the moon waxes full…
/sorry for feeding the troll

ExpressoBold on July 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Looks like that the Congresscritters would have learned from the Oboobacare fiasco that you’ve got to read these things before voting on them.

Read the fine print please, before you give away the whole damn farm. Any agreement that is light on details is unacceptable at any level. These criminals have been making it up as they go for too long already.

hillbillyjim on July 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM

corporate jets

PO box!

theperfecteconomist on July 25, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM
Yep. Only need about 5 or 6

a capella on July 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I may be the only one here that believes this has been Boehner’s plan all along. Seems to me that once the eleventh hour is reached, and since legislation HAS to originate in the House, there may come a time when there is (shucky-darn!)no other option but for the Senate to vote to (un-table??? de-table???)CCB and put it to a floor vote, at which point the drawers of the blue-dogs will be so stained they will have no choice but to vote for it. Viola! Boehner, game, set, match.

Well, I can dream can’t I???

Chewy the Lab on July 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM

But was Reid wearing his magic underwear?

Aquateen Hungerforce on July 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM

This is becoming comically sad.

SouthernGent on July 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Actually I’m looking forward to the super genius that is supposed to be Obama, applying his stupendous intellect to this debt conundrum and producing a real plan with real numbers.

We were told during the ’08 election that Obama’s acumen is unsurpassed and since he’s demonstrated little of it so far, perhaps a exhibition of it would be very appropriate at this juncture.

Most assuredly we intellectual lowlifes cannot possibly comprehend how munch brainpower is packed in between those two ears, and a visible manifestation of that aptitude would be stunning to behold.

NMRN123 on July 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM

My $0.02 anyway.

suburbanite on July 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Krauthammer is now laying out what is before us.

I say implore the Senators to stand for America, or they can stand for Obama.

This is what it is about.

Key West Reader on July 25, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Well, I’ve seen my first review of the cuts in the Reid plan and, as feared, half are completely imaginary and the rest vague and fluffy…

Another scheme dead. I doubt it will even pass in the Senate.

JIMV on July 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Winning!
bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

LegendHasIt on July 25, 2011 at 6:36 PM

You have no idea what’s coming down the road. The GOP is missing a unique opportunity to cut entitlement spending in an Obama deal, even if it comes means that some Bush tax cuts expire. Such a deal would associate many Dems with entitlement cuts and blunt that issue in the next election cycle.

Instead, you’ll now see this issue start to polarize even more voters. The entitlement debate has only started in this country and it will be the best thing to happen for the left wing in decades. The granny mobilization effort has only begun and, believe me, granny won’t forget to vote. The GOP has a unique opportunity to cut social security before the left had a chance to organize around this issue, and by the next election it may be too late. You’ll find a solid block of left leaning Senators who refuse to accept any and every cut to entitlements.

More liberal gloating to come:

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM

That’s Obama’s plan. Who does Reid and Obama think they’re fooling?

OxyCon on July 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM

milwife88 on July 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Hahaha, the comment about saving money from not invading Normandy was priceless!

scalleywag on July 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM

What in the world has happened to this once great Republic . . . these are sad and dangerous times.

rplat on July 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM

The Cheshire cat is smiling because he sits on a mountain of cat food, and gets more cat food, and all he has to do is smile, scold, and knock a morsel off the mountain he sits upon.

AshleyTKing on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Yes it will come with a downgrade of US debt. But you see, that’s ok because principles are at stake. The left doesn’t want entitlement cuts and the right doesn’t want to see tax rates rise because that would hurt their personal finances. So when you look at it this way, you realize it’s a great outcome. It’s all about principles that must be upheld at any financial cost to this country.

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

If you guys haven’t actually watched the clip, it’s a must-see. You can’t write comedy this good, and Allah’s headline perfectly sums it up.

A little preview: Millionaires and billionaires! Corporate jets!

Purple Fury on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Okay, now you can see how the troll operates – merely acknowledging the previous posting and then launching into it’s tired talking points.

Note that it ignored and other postings that are just too inconvenient and would make it actually answer a real question put to it.

Chip on July 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Just say “no”

to raising the debt ceiling.

AUH2O

There’s no way the debt ceiling isn’t going up. The only question left is what will we get out of agreeing to raise it.

xblade on July 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

No, raising taxes would hurt the economy, but that’s all part of the plan, right?

Chip on July 25, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Yay! Allahpundit is back!

WasatchMan on July 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Which Nelson? Ben or Bill?

INC on July 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Obama’s backing it (and sure to talk it up during his speech tonight)…

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Someone, please, come to my house and beat me over the head with a sledgehammer so my Obama headache will finally stop.

GrannyDee on July 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

There are worse things than the US not being able to borrow more.

Socratease on July 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Chip on July 25, 2011 at 6:55 PM

According to who? The CBO, Bernanke, Greenspan, analysts on Wall Street? You’re just repeating a well-known ideological diatribe and not solving any problems. Raising rates a few percentage points on upper income taxpayers won’t wreck the economy, just as those rates didn’t damage the economy under Clinton.

But I know, you’d rather ask the Chinese for more money to keep Bush tax cuts in place. You actually believe it’s better to subsidize tax cuts through selling t-bills to China and then pass the bill on to the next generation.

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Thanks for the chuckle bayam.
Well spoken fools usually irritate me, but today, you are merely laughable.

LegendHasIt on July 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Yeah, but doesn’t Reid’s plan come with an S&P downgrade of American debt?
suburbanite on July 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Would you all just relax about this???? Puleeze???? If a downgrade occurs, #1, Moody’s is going to be among the first to take a major hit in the ole’ pocketbook.

Second, markets will most likely tank and over-react (though much of this [IMO]is already reflected in the market. Witness the fact that we were told that Asian markets were going to tank today, and that the Dow would go in the toilet: down 88pts or something…not exactly the end of the world). So, then, they will begin to recover.

Third, things may get very ugly for a while, but…while I DO NOT WISH FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, NOPE, DON’T WANT IT…sometimes when a devistating forest fire comes through an area, what regrows is fresher and greener than before.

Now, I know y’all are throwing all kinds of cyber fruit and rotted garbage at me, but, I DON’T think the world will end if nothing gets passed and we do get the downgrade. If it happens, we would still be (pardon the pun) the “Gold Standard” for bonds, but the “standard” would be dumbed down.
Personally, I don’t think Moody’s would do it as that would be the equivalent of “foot, meet bullet,” for them. But if it did, I think we might all somehow survive and maybe emerge better.

Chewy the Lab on July 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM

LMAO! There’s no entitlement “debate” worthy enough that the Left actually wins them. All entitlement “debates” throughout the Western world have been lost by the Left. Because entitlement “debates” only works for the libtard Left only if there’s actually any money around. Many of the center-left governments who came into power on entitlement “debates” questions end up pursuing a far far more conservative approaches on entitlement reform (see Hartz IV as the most notable example and of course, the Democrat governors that survived the 2010 election).

So no you p1ssant troll, the Left is not gonna win anything. The mood of public is conservative, the Libtards are presiding over 9.2% unemployment rate and a US default.

Apologetic California on July 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM

, analysts on Wall Street?

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Which “analysts on Wall Street?” you repeat this same talking point almost every day and don’t back it up.

Which “analysts on Wall Street?”

Chip on July 25, 2011 at 7:02 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Can you give us credible cites showing that raising tax rates during a major recession helps the economy?

LOL, why am I even asking you?

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Which Nelson? Ben or Bill?

INC on July 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Ooops. Good catch. Bill Nelson, Sen. from Florida.

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Exit question: Doesn’t Reid have the upper hand on Boehner right now?

Yes, but that’s been true throughout this entire process in which Boehner has been dancing on the Democrats strings, negotiating against himself on a plan to undermine C C & B. It’s just additional proof that Boehner is a weak leader.

But Reid doesn’t have the upper hand on the tea party, nor would he on a stronger R leader.

FloatingRock on July 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM

The more I read about these proposals, the more my blood boils! What is wrong with Boehner?

Why doesn’t he call it a day on any and all debt deals aside CCB? Tell Obama and his goons to call on or after August 3rd when they get serious about cutting, capping and balancing?

TheRightMan on July 25, 2011 at 7:07 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

LOL, you’re that 24 year old named “Carl” who called Limbaugh today, right?

RUSH: Okay, we’re back with Carl in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. You’re 24 years old, and you’re from the “Millennial Generation.” I want you to start out exactly as you did. Speak a little slower is that I can chat along with you.

CALLER: Okay. Well, you know, as I was saying I’m 24 years, member of the Millennial Generation and everybody says that all this dealt we’re accumulating will mean that folks like me will, you know, pay for it if the future.

RUSH: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait. “People are saying that all the debt we’re accumulating now means that people like you will pay for it in the future.” That… Carl, I don’t care whatever you’re gonna say next.

CALLER: Well…

RUSH: Not only is that true, but people older than you are going to be paying for it as well. We already are.

CALLER: (pause) Exactly. So when you talk about cutting spending, you go back over the last ten years, and you see that we spent a trillion dollars on tax cuts for the very rich that haven’t (garbled).

RUSH: No we did not. A tax cut is not spending money.

CALLER: A tax cut is denying the government revenue, Rush.

RUSH: Carl… No, no, no, no, no. I’m not… I’m seeking an opportunity here. I don’t want to be condescending. I’m seeking an opportunity to reorient the way you have been taught. I want you to intellectually explain to me why you believe a tax cut is government spending. Explain to me what a tax cut is.

CALLER: A tax cut depletes necessary revenue needed to keep the government operational and functioning.

RUSH: No.

CALLER: Giving tax cuts the very rich and to corporations (garbled).

RUSH: Carl, that’s not what a tax cut is. A tax cut is you work for a living, and you are paid X. At the present, you have a tax rate — let’s just pick one, may not be accurate — of 30%. Which means that 30% of every dollar you earn goes to Washington, but the money starts with you. It’s yours. You earned it. You did what was necessary to be paid that money.

CALLER: Exactly.

RUSH: If a tax cut happens, and your tax rate goes to 20%, then all of a sudden you get to keep 80¢ of every dollar you earned rather than 70¢ of every dollar you earned. How in the world is that spending?

CALLER: Because when I spend that money out of my own paycheck, that’s money that I spend on my own life. When the government spends my tax dollars, they’re spending it on necessary infrastructure that’s to keep the entire government running, to keep schools running, to keep teachers (garbled).

RUSH: No, no, no, no. Wait a minute. So are you telling me that you believe that it is more important for government to spend whatever money it has than it is for you to spend whatever money you earn?

CALLER: The government spending tax dollars benefits everybody, whereas me spending my own money benefits me.

RUSH: Wrong.

It keeps going.

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2011 at 7:07 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Okay sport, let’s play that game – if raising taxes only a few percentage points won’t wreck the economy, [Everyone note no figures were provided] them what about raising them 20%? Or maybe 30% would those levels damage the economy?

Chip on July 25, 2011 at 7:07 PM

LOL, why am I even asking you?

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Indeed, futility is indignant.

More liberal gloating to come:

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Sure, because that’s what they are all about, their own power and gloating. You’re all impertinent hacks and deserve to be punished.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2011 at 7:08 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Can you show credible sources that massive deficit spending is good for the economy?
Raising taxes never helps the economy, but it’s better than allowing the deficit to grow out of control or borrowing more from China.

Did slightly higher taxes kill the economy under Clinton? There’s a reason why the most respected GOP economists opposed the Bush tax cuts and that Bernanke has said that ‘everything’ must be on the table.

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Oh look, you forgot a part! Here, I’ll correct it for you…

But you see, that’s ok because principles are at stake. The left doesn’t want entitlement cuts because they could not then pay off their voter base and the right doesn’t want to see tax rates rise because that would hurt their personal finances. So when you look at it this way, you realize it’s a great outcome. It’s all about principles that must be upheld at any financial cost to this country.

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

See what you did there? All the rest of us did.

ExpressoBold on July 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM

The longest maturity of any T-bill is 52 weeks–less than one year.

Emperor Norton on July 25, 2011 at 7:10 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Can you try answering a question for once?

Chip on July 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Time to play the Donk’s own game.

If Reid’s plan really does make rightward concessions, then move them goalposts strongly to the Right, quickly. If they’re willing to give this much, then they can give more.

Heck, tell them they’ll get a deal when SCOTUS overturns Roe v Wade. Might as well set the stakes nice and high.

And when was the last time a GOP caucus took a stand without budging? Hmm, that’s what I thought.

Oh well…

Freelancer on July 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

The idealogical extrmists on the left are caving only because of the Tea Party influence and nothing else. The loons on the left would without question bankrupt our nation and bring us to third world status. The left is where the radical extremists are concentrated. It is good that the people are able to look them in the eye and stop the madness. It is still too early to trust the left though. They are corrupt liars and cannot be trusted with the best interests of the American people. Senile old fools like Reid are a disgrace and are definitely unfit to lead.

volsense on July 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

So the American people didn’t vote in 2010, just the Tea Party?

Jim-Rose on July 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Which “analysts on Wall Street?” you repeat this and don’t back it up.

Yes I easily forget how financially illiterate you are, when these points are covered by WSJ, Barrons, and the Economist every week.

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 7:12 PM

“No, I can’t.”

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM

A+

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Thank you!

INC on July 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Which “analysts on Wall Street?” you repeat this and don’t back it up.

bayam on July 25, 2011 at 7:12 PM

LOL, your linked story quotes absolutely no “Wall Street economists” by name.

F-