Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?
posted at 9:00 am on July 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey
No kidding — it’s time to pick the Obamateurism of the Week! If you’ve forgotten a couple of the choices, be sure to have a plan to review them first. Because if you blow that strategy, no one will have a clue what you mean by your choice.
Previous 2011 “winners”:
- “Eric, don’t call my bluff. I’m going to the American people with this.”
- “And certainly at the federal level where I do have influence, I can make sure that we make these adjustments without affecting people’s collective bargaining rights.”
- Six references to tax breaks for “corporate jet owners” as reason budget isn’t balanced
- Identifies wrong soldier as non-posthumous MoH recipient
- “You see it when you go to a bank and you use an ATM; you don’t go to a bank teller.”
- Uses restaurant as example of success of auto bailouts, closes two weeks later
- Goes for 70th round of golf on Memorial Day
- Obama botches toast to Queen Elizabeth
- “Israel must be able to defend itself – by itself – against any threat“
- WH gripes that immigration debate too often uses caricatures after Obama says, “Maybe they’ll need a moat.”
- White House issues Earth Day proclamation, skips Easter
- Can’t name a mistake at townhall in which he made three in one sentence
- Accuses GOP of trying to hurt seniors after lecturing them not to demagogue on entitlement reform
- “If you’re complaining about the price of gas and you’re only getting 8 miles a gallon, you know, you might want to think about a trade-in.”
- Obama accepts his transparency award in secret, no-press meeting
- “War” first changed to “kinetic military action,” then “time-limited, scope-limited military action”
- Obama telling people it would be easier to be President of China because “No one is scrutinizing Hu Jintao’s words in Tahrir Square.”
- Obama tells group that there is a “subterranean” racially-based agenda in opposition to his presidency
- Ferry for Americans in Libya comes three days late — and with a bill for passengers
- WH says Obama not addressing Libya because of “scheduling issue“
- After saying he hadn’t followed the Wisconsin issue, says Walker’s plan “seems like more of an assault on unions.”
- Businesses have “obligation” to create jobs and “pay decent wages”
- After losing verdict on first ever federal mandate to purchase private-sector product, accuses judge of “overreach”
- Obama bogarts Newt Gingrich’s book title for his “Winning the Future” SOTU speech
- 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner holds state dinner for man who has 2010 winner under house arrest
- After telling Boehner and McConnell that “there will be plenty of time to campaign for 2012 in 2012,”announces March start to re-election bid
- “I really want to figure out a way where I can spend more time outside of Washington listening and learning and engaging the American people.”
Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at[email protected] with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.
Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!