Palin: Obama now a Lame Duck President

posted at 11:45 am on July 23, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

John Boehner’s (momentary) dismissal of Barack Obama as a partner in deficit-reduction talks has the effect of making him a “lame duck president,” Sarah Palin wrote last night on her SarahPAC website — and she’s pretty happy about it, too.  Palin praises the leadership of the Republican caucus for sticking to their promises, and then reminds readers about the history of this President and the deficit:

This is the same president who proposed an absurdly irresponsible budget that would increase our debt by trillions of dollars, and whose party failed to even put forward a budget in over 800 days! This is the same president who is pushing our country to the brink because of his reckless spending on things like the nearly trillion dollar “stimulus” boondoggle. This is the same president who ignored his own debt commission’s recommendations and demonized the voices of fiscal sanity who proposed responsible plans to reform our entitlement programs and rein in our dangerous debt trajectory. This is the same president who wanted to push through an increase in the debt ceiling that didn’t include any cuts in government spending! This is the same president who wants to slam Americans with tax hikes to cover his reckless spending, but has threatened to veto a bill proposing a balanced budget amendment. This is the same president who hasn’t put forward a responsible plan himself, but has rejected reasonable proposals that would tackle our debt. This is the same president who still refuses to understand that the American electorate rejected his big government agenda last November. As I said in Madison, Wisconsin, at the Tax Day Tea Party rally, “We don’t want it. We can’t afford it. And we are unwilling to pay for it.”

Now the President is outraged because the GOP House leadership called his bluff and ended discussions with him because they deemed him an obstruction to any real solution to the debt crisis.

He has been deemed a lame duck president. And he is angry now because he is being treated as such.

Palin also warns the House leadership not to “get wobbly on us now,” but says that the main problem with Obama is that he “leads from behind.”  That may not be any more clear than in the deficit/debt ceiling crisis.  Obama has been boosting the crisis mode with dire warnings about a failure to act, but to this moment has not come forward with any plan to deal with it.  Obama and the Democratic majority in the Senate have sat on their hands while Boehner and the House passed two specific plans to deal with the deficit, both of which the Senate rejected.

That’s not just “leading from behind,” it’s an abdication of responsibility.  My friend Hugh Hewitt wants to have all sides show their hands on negotiations right now, and isn’t happy about what he hears from the Republicans, either:

President Obama and Speaker Boehner have been negotiating in public for weeks, but the public has been kept in the dark.  Now both are accusing the other of unfairly presenting the facts, so it is time –long past time, in fact– for the two men to show their hands to the public.

What does the president propose to cut and by how much?  What taxes does he propose to raise or deductions curtail or end, and what revenues does he predict will materialize as a result?

What are the $800 billion in new revenues the Speaker offered up?  (This is a shocking number and unwise concession by the Speaker, and it may represent an enormous breach with the Pledge to America. The Speaker would be greatly served by putting these details out asap before anger on the right grows.)

“I’m not going to negotiate in public” is simple code for “the public won’t support what I am proposing.”  The president has bluffed, cajoled and filibustered his way through a month of closed door theatrics with the assistance of a compliant MSM, and the public is weary to the bone with the Community Organizer in Chief.  His petulance, self-regard and overbearing ego combines into an unprecedented persona that is both ludicrous and also alarming in that he may truly be as clueless about the economy as he often sounds.

The $800 billion seems to come from a comprehensive reform of the tax code that lowers rates, flattens the code, and — most importantly — broadens the tax base so that more people are paying into it.  Better enforcement is also part of the proposal, as well as an assumption of better economic performance resulting from the tax reforms proposed.  However, that information comes from leaks on the GOP side; it would be better, as Hugh says, to have these proposals made public.  Most Republicans would support higher revenues that come from these kinds of systemic reforms, probably even most Tea Party supporters as well, as long as that is how the revenues get raised.

It still underscores that all of the ideas, all of the intellectual work, and all of the energy for deficit reduction has come from the Republicans.  Democrats have simply refused to participate in any forward thinking of their own, and have since 2009, when the Democrats passed their last budget resolution.  That’s the reason that Obama is a lame-duck President, for all intents and purposes, and for that matter, Reid is thus far a lame-duck Senate Majority Leader.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Mitt will never win the nomination no matter how much you trash Palin you know that right? And spare me the “I’m not a Mitt supporter” garbage. We both know you are.

grow a pair declare your live long Mitt love and be done with the childish games you seem to enjoy playing.

Mitt peacetime romney the father of Obamacare, the fee raising 47th ranked gov in job creation, the serial flipflopper will never win the nomination deal with it.

unseen on July 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

FTR “several” now means “billions.”

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I’m not the only one in the Jewish community offended that she wore the Star of David last month in NYC. Our religion isn’t a fashion accessory to be worn in order to buy votes.

bayam on July 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Any Jew that would be offended, because Christian Sarah Palin is wearing a Star of David to show solidarity with Jews (especially Israeli Jews and Netanyahu) is an Obama sycophant. You are fooling no one, bayam!

sinsing on July 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM

OK. I can’t do it. I just can’t do it. How about a plausible comment. Like … maybe Palin wearing a Star of David is a sign of solidarity with Israel and Jewish people in general? Huh? Maybe? Possibly? Hmm? Anything? Paging bayam?

Paul-Cincy on July 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Forget it. Progressive Jews prefer to denigrate anyone who supports Israel and not stand with the Palestinians.

mizflame98 on July 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Bwahahahahaha!!! I went to see Captain America and then lunch with the wife and I get back here and you are STILL obsessing over me! Scarce? It wont matter because I’m living in your head even when I’m not logged on to Hot Air.

csdeven on July 23, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Don’t get too prideful, certain venereal diseases live inside people’s heads a long time too.

Don L on July 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

The Jewish vote is in play in 2012.

Obama knows it and so does Palin.

In 2010 the Dems got 66% of the vote and the GOP 31%.

Obama cannot win Florida without recapturing some of that lost Jewish support there.

Yes, Sarah Palin wears the Star of David and there is also a web site called Jews for Sarah that promotes Palin.

Is there any wonder why her enemies are terrified of her?

technopeasant on July 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I also see Palin as unelectable.

csdeven on July 23, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I’m certain that she’ll adjust her decision to enter the race accordingly, as soon as word of your key one person poll gets to her.

Don L on July 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Obsessive behavior, maybe, but not the obsession itself.

gryphon202 on July 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I can’t do anything about that. All I can do is shame those with a modicum of a conscience to cease turning Hot Air into a place where they exorcise their obsession with me.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Don L on July 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM

It isn’t just me. Look at her unfavorable numbers. MOST Americans feel the same way.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM

No… it’s definitely you.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Don’t get too prideful, …

Don L on July 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Are you insane? I do not initiate the obsessions by these clowns. I have requested they cease the obsession multiple times. But even when I am not logged in, they continue to obsess over me with comment after comment about my gender, physical attributes etc. There were event two who threatened me with physical harm.

Now seriously, are you going to sit there and blame me for their behavior?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

No… it’s definitely you.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Have you even looked at any polling in the last three years?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

He could be standing…

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Have you even looked at any polling in the last three years?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Of course not !

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Unless the polling changes….you are wrong. Not only that, but Romney just polled more favorable among the group that will determine the next president….the indies.

And spare me the “I’m not a Mitt supporter” garbage. We both know you are.

I am not a Romney supporter. I am simply a pragmatic voter this year.

That is a ridiculous comment and has no bearing on anything.

unseen on July 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Truth by assertion is folly. His numbers show not only will he be the GOP nominee, but that indies prefer him over Romney. If there was ever any poll that lets any air out of the sails of Palin’s decision to run, that poll is it. Palin cannot/will not try to address the indies. Without them, she fails.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM

There’s nothing to which to respond other than your obvious defacing of Palin threads;…

Right…you have nothing left to defend Palin with so you attack me. Cease obsessing on me. It doesn’t help Palin.

….and since this is merely defacing the site in a way similar to what Roger Waters/The Wall used to do, and got banned for it, it seems enough to get your ass banned in my opinion.

Go for it. Complain. But before you do, go read the terms of use. YOU are the one hijacking this thread, not me. I criticize Palin and, as you just admitted, you cannot defend her. So rather than take your lumps, you irrationally lash out at me.

We get it, you can’t stand Palin. Your only purpose in saying so dozens if not hundreds of times in every Palin thread is meant to hijack and disrupt, not to state an opinion.

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I do not want to see this country suffer another 4 years of Obama. If Palin is the nominee, she will lose. She cannot get the indie vote and isn’t even trying.

You are the one disrupting this thread with your blatant obsession with me. If you don’t like my opinion on Palin and cannot respond appropriately on topic….

THEN DON’T COMMENT.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Heh. 24/7

People if you think csdeven’s posts are without merit ignore them. Sheesh.

CW on July 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Or maybe you really are just trying to make all the threads about you.

fossten on July 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I tell you what, you stop obsessing on me and we’ll see how often I start these threads with comments about myself.

My first comment in this thread….

This is what Palin is best at and she needs to stay out of elected office so she can continue to do so.

csdeven on July 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

My second comment in this thread….

Some AG needs to charge him under Sarbanes-oxley, along with every dem senator and representative for the past 4 years….

phreshone on July 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Add some reps in there too.

csdeven on July 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM

The first response to me is the beginning of the obsession with me instead of a comment on the merits of my opinion….

How fortunate that your advice means absolutely nothing.

She would make a great President.

Now, go ahead and be as predictable as we all know you are.

You need it.

Brian1972 on July 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The second response to me……

And we’re off. Thread heads south in record time.

Knucklehead on July 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Now that you can see what an obsession looks like, you can see that you are engaging in it also. I didn’t ask for this attention on me. You people are obsessed with me and simply cannot stop obsessing.

THAT is your fault, not mine.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

CW on July 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Don’t feed the monkeys^

idesign on July 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM

People if you think csdeven’s posts are without merit ignore them. Sheesh.

CW on July 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

THIS!

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM

What were you saying about truth by assertion?

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Speaking of Palin and independent voters, in the latest Rasmussen poll she beats Obama among independents.

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM

ATTENTION HOTAIR:

CSDEVEN HAS 57 COMMENTS ON A TOPIC WITH 517 TOTAL COMMENTS.

Most of them say “Palin is a quitter” or “abdicate”.

This is the fault of HotAir now. When is enough enough?

faraway on July 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM

THEN DON’T COMMENT.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

You act like a jackass and then want to play hall monitor because we’re supposedly breaking the rules by calling your dumb ass out?

Report us, you pansy.

Aitch748 on July 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM

faraway on July 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM

But you have to admit that watching HotAir’s omnipresent Outhouse Rat madly orbiting its lair can be amusing in a monster truck / tractor-pull / demolition derby / biting heads off of chickens sort of way.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Now seriously, are you going to sit there and blame me for their behavior?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

And like clockwork, out comes the victim card.

Passive…aggressive.

fossten on July 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM

This thread is living proof that Capitalism is alive and thriving.

This is too.

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Now seriously, are you going to sit there and blame me for their behavior?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Why, yes. Yes we are. Because your whining is amusing and your pain gives us “trolls” great joy. It’s funny how you’ll say something obnoxious and then whine about people being obsessed with you when they respond. It gives us warm tingles when you start sobbing and crying like a baby about being victimized about people on the Internet obsessing over poor poor you.

Aitch748 on July 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Palin cannot/will not try to address the indies.

What were you saying about truth by assertion?

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Exactly what is she doing to win over the indies? Poking the media with a stick to entertain herself? Endorsing a propaganda film?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

ATTENTION HOTAIR:

CSDEVEN HAS 57 COMMENTS ON A TOPIC WITH 517 TOTAL COMMENTS.

Most of them say “Palin is a quitter” or “abdicate”.

This is the fault of HotAir now. When is enough enough?

faraway on July 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Since I haven’t responded to you yet (???), I will respond directly to you….Palin quit. Nothing she can do will ever make that go away. Her priorities are her faith first, then family, and after that her elected position. She will not change those priorities and I will not give her the opportunity to quit mid-term as POTUS. She had her chance.

Now, you can respond or try to find a comment from someone else who responded to that previous comment. If you do respond, I will respond to you. It appears you are suggesting that when I am asked a question, that I ignore it so you can’t accuse me of repeating the same comment.

Do you realize how obsessive it is that you are taking all this time to count my comments, but complaining that my comments (that no one forces you to read) are taking up your valuable time?

Good gravy! WHEN in goodness name are you people going to wise up? Isn’t a month of obsessing over me long enough for you?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I sure wish she was President now.

huckleberryfriend on July 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Report us, you pansy.

Aitch748 on July 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Debating the serious flaws of Palin is not acting like a jack@ss. YOU attacking me because of it is being a jack@ss.

I cherish free speech. I don’t try to get people banned from Hot Air because I don’t like what they write. If I choose to read what they write, then I accept the responsibility for my reaction to it. Try it some day, you might find becoming an responsible adult is more fulfilling that remaining the recalcitrant baby that you are.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Nope. Send us your email address so we can obsess over you even more.

Aitch748 on July 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Debating the serious flaws of Palin

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I don’t know of any serious “flaws”. Perhaps you can list them.

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Down the winky hole!! LMAO

sonnyspats1 on July 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I sure wish she was President now.

huckleberryfriend on July 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I wish McCain had won and Palin were VP. We would be having totally different discussions. I would relish supporting the idea that Palin should have been at the top of the ticket instead of McCain. But we would also be dealing with the RINO policies of McCain that Palin would be obligated to support. Certainly the question of forcing a primary on McCain in 2012 would be discussed also. But I think looking to 2016 to elect Palin as POTUS would be the main discussion. She would never had abdicated her governorship, but rather would have resigned to be VPOTUS, there wouldn’t be a ridiculous propaganda film, and no reality TV show.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Nope. Send us your email address so we can obsess over you even more.

Aitch748 on July 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Do you want me to create one for you? I will if all of you will promise to grow up and stay on topic.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Poking the media with a stick to entertain herself?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

So your view is that the media must not be challenged, and that one should make any effort to stay in their good graces no matter what they say, and despite the fact they always stab Republicans in the back.

Is that accurate?

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Heh. 24/7

People if you think csdeven’s posts are without merit ignore them. Sheesh.

CW on July 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Why don’t you snipe at him as much as you do Palinistas? Pompous anal-retentive snark artist.

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Debating the serious flaws of Palin

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I don’t know of any serious “flaws”. Perhaps you can list them.

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I can guess: (1) “quitting,” and (2) “astronomically bad” polling numbers. That’s all she’s got, but she talks as if they render anything you might say in favor of Palin irrelevant.

Aitch748 on July 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM

And like clockwork, out comes the victim card.

Passive…aggressive.

fossten on July 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM

You’ve got your head screwed around there. It is you and your ilk that are complaining that I am ruining your Hot Air experience because you don’t like what I say about Palin. And now you blame me for your obsession on me.

Passive/aggressive is YOU.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I’ve never posted in this thread. You’ve posted over 10 times on the last page alone, most of them one after the other. So you cannot say I’m obsessing over you. The facts are clear that you cannot stop posting regardless if someone is responding to you or not. You offer nothing to the discussion and are worse than the best paid Obama troll.

You need mental medical attention NOW.

Why are you even here in the first place?

MrX on July 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Bull. If you cherished Free Speech, you would not have incessantly hijacked every Palin Thread Hot Air has posted for the last two months.

kingsjester on July 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Lil brother just can’t help himself, again…

Gohawgs on July 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I don’t know of any serious “flaws”. Perhaps you can list them.

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM

1) Abdication of her governorship.
2) She made herself a lame duck governor and then complained she couldn’t get anything done as a lame duck.
3) Her disjointed speaking style.
4) Astronomically bad unfavorable numbers.
5) Very low approval numbers.
6) Very bad polling against Obama.
7) Her reality TV show.
8) Poking the media for no good reason.
9) Constantly playing the victim.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

The O bsessor

Gohawgs on July 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM

kingsjester on July 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM

That is a wrongheaded comment…..Go read the first page of this thread and try again.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Most of those aren’t flaws. The only one may be her speaking style which bothers some. Others aren’t bothered by it. Some are just your opinion, and the rest are simply irrelevant 16 months out from the election.

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM

8) Poking the media for no good reason.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Can you clarify how you think a candidate or potential candidate should treat the media … especially when everyone knows their goal is to destroy any Republican candidate?

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I’ve never posted in this thread.

Yet your ONLY post is about me? YOU are obsessed.

8ull$hit….Most of those comments are a response to others.

You need mental medical attention NOW.

Why are you even here in the first place?

MrX on July 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Go read the first page ( and further) of this thread and try to justify that pile of 8ull$hit.

You obsess on me and you think I need medical attention? Bwahahahahahaha!!! You process information just like the progressives….up is down and down is up in your world.

Considering your ONLY comment in this thread is to obsess on me, you need to ask yourself why YOU are here.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Palin is brilliant as to how she makes the MFLSM tie their little pinheads into knots.

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Heavy medication required!

idesign on July 24, 2011 at 2:45 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Whatever she’s doing, it appears to be working. Her unfavorables have fallen significantly in the last month and the latest poll shows her actually beating Obama among Republicans and independents.

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 2:45 PM

csdeven

So, are you pulling for FRED! this time around?

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

FTR “wrongheaded” = sane

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM

In your opinion, sure. But her polling shows that most Americans do not see those flaws as irrelevant. And after three years of constant media attention, 16 more months aren’t going to matter. As a matter of fact, in just a few more months it will be too late. Those few months will not afford her enough time to repair her image enough to win over the indies. And without the indies, her polling will remain low and she will see it to be fruitless to run.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

1) Abdication of her governorship.
3) Her disjointed speaking style.
4) Astronomically bad unfavorable numbers.
5) Very low approval numbers.
6) Very bad polling against Obama.
7) Her reality TV show.
8) Poking the media for no good reason.
9) Constantly playing the victim.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I think Obama has all those “flaws” going for him. He quit the Senate, has a history of making himself a lame duck by voting “present”, can’t speak without a teleprompter, has more unfavorables than favorables, has very low approval numbers, polls badly against a generic Republican, pokes Fox for no reason, constantly plays the victim. Give him a reality show on the Golf Channel and he sounds like Palin to you, no?

Ronnie on July 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

So, are you pulling for FRED! this time around?

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

It is actually weirder than that. I expect I will be forced to vote for Romney! I’ll have to take a bed pan and a barf bag into the booth because I will be evacuating both ends of my alimentary canal when I pull the lever for that RINO.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Ronnie on July 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Yeah….so what? I would never ever compare Palin to Obama. It makes it appear as if she is a better choice because she is just as bad as he is.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM

So, of the two, you now believe she is electable?

Ronnie on July 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM

1) Abdication of her governorship.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

LOL, I already busted you on that one yesterday. Remember when you lied about what she actually said in her resignation speech?

When I called you on it by publishing her exact quotes from that speech, you simply pretended you had never said it in the first place.

Del Dolemonte on July 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Obama is a pooswah.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM

How so? She’s never apologized for America while on a State Visit to a foreign country, or had her spouse claim to be “proud to be an American for the first time in my life”.

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM

But, but you said my name

Gohawgs on July 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM

8) Poking the media for no good reason.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Palin’s very existence has provoked the media since August, 2008. There’s a reason for that.

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Dang. Off to the boat I go.

Wish me luck on the slalum; they want me to ski on my feet. Zoiks. I’ll tak a ski. Off to the East. Small winda.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2011 at 2:55 PM

So, of the two, you now believe she is electable?

Ronnie on July 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Careful! Don’t make it short-circuit !

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Ignore 99% of what they say so you have some credibility on the issues you can actually make headway with. Don’t make excuses that are inexcusable.

IE…she was on vacation with her family. then tried to position herself as a patriot by answering a silly question about Paul Revere. She botched it, denied she botched it, and then acted like a victim of the mean LSM.

Now, she comes out with a decent response to Obama’s traitorous behavior, and most Americans wont give it a chance.

Now really, which battle would have been better to win? Positioning herself as a patriot during a family vacation, or calling Obama a lame duck president and have it stick?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:57 PM

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM

They fear her because she is a smart, strong, true America loving American. Period.

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM

So, of the two, you now believe she is electable?

Ronnie on July 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM

WTH are you talking about? He compared Palin to Obama. WHY would anyone do that?

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Back to reality… Palin got the Paul Revere question correct.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM

1) Abdication of her governorship.
3) Her disjointed speaking style.
4) Astronomically bad unfavorable numbers.
5) Very low approval numbers.
6) Very bad polling against Obama.
7) Her reality TV show.
8) Poking the media for no good reason.
9) Constantly playing the victim.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

1) It was the right thing to do.
2) She complained she couldn’t get anything done with all of the BS ethics complaints and lawsuits. Prior to them, she accomplished more in 2 years than most governors do in 8.
3) It’s not any more disjointed than other candidates, if you have a proper understanding of punctuation. Shame on her for using complex, compound, and complex-compound sentence structures?
4) The unfavorables are coming down.
5) The approval numbers are coming up.
6) The latest poll shows her beating Obama among Republicans AND independents.
7) Sarah Palin’s Alaska wasn’t a “reality show” in the same sense that Jersey Shore is a reality show. SPAK was a travelogue/documentary/”love letter to Alaska,” by which Palin came through on one of the promises she made to her state at the time of her resignation.
8) She doesn’t poke the media for no good reason. She learned her lesson from GW’s mishandling of the media and isn’t afraid to defend herself, her family, and the entire conservative movement when necessary. She never takes it upon herself to snipe or complain unnecessarily.
9) You play the victim more than Sarah Palin ever has.

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM

So is Rick Perry. Why don’t they fear him as much?

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

For the 999th time, she won independents in the last poll that pitted her against Obama, and state-level polling has shown her winning independents in key swing states for months. Her unfavorables are falling and her approval numbers are rising.

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM

You didn’t bust anyone except yourself. Everyone knows she started her speech by laying out her priorities. Those are faith, family, and then Alaska. And she went to her family to decide whether to quit or not.

So, you’re busted.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Cut the crap. Everyone knows you are a Romney shill. You just can’t admit it.

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Improvise, adapt and overcome…

Gohawgs on July 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

So is Rick Perry. Why don’t they fear him as much?

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Wait untill he announces, you will see it then. Besides Palin has been sticking it up thier a$$es for a few years now and they hate it.

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

So, you’re busted.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM

No, you’re busted and a serial liar. She made it clear many, many times in her resignation speech that she was leaving office for the good of Alaska. She spent more time focusing on that in her speech athan on anything else.

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Improvise, adapt and overcome…

Gohawgs on July 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Reload.

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Wait untill he announces, you will see it then.

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

So why don’t we see it before he announces? They could nip it in the bud. Also we have the example of already-announced Michele Bachmann. They don’t seem to fear her quite as much. Why is that?

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Do you believe Alaska is better off without her?

Ronnie on July 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Improvise, adapt and overcome…

Gohawgs on July 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

On this latest threadjacking it should be: capture, restrain and medicate.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Interesting article by an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi — who I doubt is bothered by her wearing a Star of David, BTW.

I agree completely with his point of view…
she is hated because she’s the very antithesis of their value system I wonder if that applies to some on here…

Sarah Palin is Hated for all the Right Reasons

June 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Generally speaking, I follow the advice of the Talmudic sages who strongly urge caution, and warn of the potential dangers, regarding unnecessary entanglements with politicians or politics in general. I confess that the political arena is a setting that is so foreign and mysterious to me that I am blissfully satisfied to be confined to the bleachers where spectators like myself can sit and watch the three-ring circus which we call the political process. This is not an article about politics. It is about the phenomenon called Sarah Palin and it is rooted in something much deeper than what is generally covered in standard political commentary. (I leave the discussion of her politics to people who, hopefully, understand those issues much better than me.)

No political figure in recent memory has evoked such an immediate and powerful gut reaction from the American people and the media as Governor Sarah Palin (with the notable exception of perhaps President Barack Obama). In the space of roughly 24 hours back in 2008, she went from being the obscure governor of Alaska to the political equivalent of a rock superstar. The cause of this supernova-like explosion onto the political landscape was not due to anything she said or did (nobody knew anything about her at the time), it was due to who she was and is. It was her very presence, the way she looked, the way she spoke, the aura she projected, the vision that people instinctively understood she represented that either churned the stomachs of some, or tugged at the souls and heartstrings of others.

Let me put it a different way: To suggest that the vicious attacks and smears that emanated from certain segments of the media were because of anything in particular that she said or any particular opinion that she held, would be putting the cart before the horse. They attacked what she said because they couldn’t stand her. The general antipathy came first, the specific attacks came afterwards.

The most glaring example, of course, was the “experience” issue. How many times did we hear that Sarah Palin’s lack of “experience” made her unqualified to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency? After all, her entire political career consisted of only a stint as mayor of a small town and being elected to the governorship of Alaska. This, of course, was in comparison to the colossal and extensive “experience” of Barack Obama as a community organizer, a stint as a state legislator, and as the newly elected junior Senator from Illinois. It was obvious to any objective, dispassionate observer that as far as political experience, Sarah Palin and Barack Obama were pretty much even, with Palin clearly in the lead in the area of administrative and executive experience. It is also obvious that the reason why whole legions of journalists ignored these simple facts was that they had no interest in being objective or dispassionate when the subject of Sarah Palin was on the table. When it was recently announced that 24,000 pages of Palin’s emails were being released, one could plainly hear the obscene sound of reporters licking their chops in anticipation of digging up some obscure piece of dirt or hint of scandal which they could gleefully put out over the various newswires.

One might have thought that Governor Palin would have been touted as a poster child for women’s empowerment and feminist ideals. After all, she was a “simple” housewife who made a decision to throw her hat in the political ring, and in short order was elected mayor of her town, governor of her state, and was then chosen by a veteran senator as his presidential running mate. If that doesn’t qualify as a stellar example of “I am woman watch me roar”, then I can’t imagine what would. Instead Sarah Palin is vilified by the very ideologues who should have held her up as a hero.

Is Sarah Palin the best candidate for the GOP in the coming presidential election? I don’t know. I don’t understand those things very well. What I do understand is why she is hated. She is hated because she has a sincere, almost child-like, and unabashed love for her country and the principles upon which it was founded. She is hated because she has a genuine and unshakable commitment to her religious beliefs and to the notion that God is the source of all the values that make this country a shining beacon to the entire world. She is hated because she is profoundly committed to marriage and family as the basis for a truly human society. Her greatest sin of all, and an unpardonable one at that, was having the absolute unmitigated gall to ignore that most sacred of female constitutional rights and to not kill her unborn, down-syndrome child. To add insult to injury, she is not only clearly at peace with that decision, but even worse, she is ecstatically happy with that decision. For that, she will never be forgiven. (“Who the hell does she think she is anyways not to have aborted that retard baby?!”)

Sarah Palin is hated because she seems unable to camouflage her ideals behind a façade of vapid political vagaries; it is not so much that she talks about what she stands for, it is that – love her or hate her – she radiates what she stands for. Should Sarah Palin run for president in 2012? Would she make a good president? Don’t ask me, ask the pundits. I mean it, I really don’t know. I do, however, find a curious satisfaction in observing that at least one political figure is reviled by so many for representing those very values that make human existence meaningful and noble. In other words, those who hate Sarah Palin, hate her for all the right reasons.

Moshe Averick is an ordained orthodox rabbi and author of the Amazon best-seller, “Nonsense of a High Order: The Confused and Illusory World of the Atheist,” available on Amazon.com and Kindle. He can be reached via his website: http://www.RabbiMaverick.com

OnlyOrange on July 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Or Grammy, aka the wife, could tell him its nap time…

Gohawgs on July 24, 2011 at 3:13 PM

On this latest threadjacking it should be: capture, restrain and medicate.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Heavily.

kingsjester on July 24, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Some may remember the late, great cartoonist and Sunday school teacher Johnny “B.C.” Hart whose Christmas cartoon one year was a menorah transformed into a cross. Lots of Marxists reacted similarly to that as they have done so to Palin’s Star of David. Some things never change.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Also we have the example of already-announced Michele Bachmann. They don’t seem to fear her quite as much. Why is that?ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM

You are joking, right? Or are you just not pating attention to how they are trying to tear MB down everyday. What is your point anyway?

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM

And for the 999th time, that is how you see it. Most polling shows otherwise. You are taking some outlier polling and insisting they are mainstream.

And the polls done here at Hot Air don’t reflect anything except the HA universe, so I hope you aren’t trying to use them.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I’m talking about the latest Rasmussen poll, as well as numerous PPP polls in swing states over the past few months, which show her winning independents against Obama.

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM

She said nothing that hasn’t been said countless times before. It’s always been God, family, country.

If you don’t have the first two you don’t have a country.

I’m really not sure what your point is anyway. Maybe you’re not either, because if one actually reads Palin’s resignation speech she distinctly says she’s resigning for the betterment of Alaska.

“I am determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is unconventional and not so comfortable”.

You keep harping on something that makes no sense. Eveyone else can see that, you can’t.

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I’ll take the HotAir universe over the Olbermann-Matthews one any day.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM

VegasRick on July 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Oh, yeah, the devastating migraine story. Come on, Bachmann’s gotten LOADS of positive press lately. Much more than Palin’s ever gotten. So has Perry. How many “Perry shouldn’t even THINK about running” stories have there been? The point is to get an answer.

ddrintn on July 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

steebo77 on July 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Of course she would do that, she was trying to save her political career. But the fact remains that it was costing her money and it was stressful on her family. That is the higher priority, so irrespective of how she tried to spin it, her family was the greatest consideration. Unless you think she is going to change her priorities, she would do the same in the future. And spare me the “rules of Alaska” excuse. If some unforeseen event put her in a position to have to decide between her family and her elected office, she would pick her family again. Nope, not taking that chance.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

There you have it, folks. One comment — literally, ONE COMMENT — is all it takes to be “obsessed.” It’s official.

Aitch748 on July 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Oh come on. It’s not as though Palin will constantly have to hide behind Barbecue Reno’s skirts and presidential protections from lawsuits like Bubba did.

viking01 on July 24, 2011 at 3:33 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

OK … I think you’re done. You’ve gone on for hours about what Palin said in her speech and when it’s pointed out to you that her speech actually contradicts what you’re saying it’s now become spin.

In other words, you lost to your own game.

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM

“Thank you, GOP House leaders.”

Now KEEP FREAKING GOING AFTER THEM.

RealMc on July 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Do you believe Alaska is better off without her?

Ronnie on July 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Ask her family. They are the ones who gave her permission to quit. She didn’t bother asking the 114,000 people who elected her. Considering her poll numbers, Alaskans don’t like her.

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM

csdeven on July 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Ronnie asked you. I’m sure an answer would be appreciated.

darwin on July 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM