Obama town hall: “We’ve made good choices so far”

posted at 1:10 pm on July 22, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

The president held a town hall at the University of Maryland this morning, and it’s a bit of a stretch of the imagination to think it was some sort of a coincidence that it kicked off scant moments after the Senate voted down CC&B. In fact, he led off with that topic in a big way, repeating his ongoing bully pulpit theme about how he’s been offering everything but the kitchen sink, how he is offering up programs which are important to his base, but those pesky Republicans in the House just won’t listen to reason.

The crowd was pretty obviously hand picked. One young man who asked a question about the debt ceiling debate suggested he should just raise the ceiling himself and wait for the 2012 elections to have voters “get rid of these hooligans in the House.” (It was fairly obvious that he wasn’t referring to the Democrats.) A young lady asking the next question nearly broke into tears when she asked if she could shake Obama’s hand. Tough room.

On an interesting side note, in response to the question about raising the ceiling himself, Obama indicated that his lawyers had advised him that he doesn’t have the power under the Constitution to do so.

The president did get one of the old standards tossed his way, asking if he had any regrets or would have done anything differently thus far in his term, and it produced a few interesting comments. Like most politicians, he started off not by saying what he’d done wrong, but what he had done right. In terms of building an economic recovery, he said, “We’ve made good choices so far.”

Moving on to the “what could I have done differently” portion of the agenda, Obama delivered a bit of a stunner. After inserting the mandatory “blame Bush” preface about four million jobs being lost before he was even sworn in, he said, “I could have been clearer about how tough it was going to be. I was so focused on policy, on getting the policy right, I forgot that part of my job was explaining to the American people what I was doing.”

Seriously? I seem to recall a pretty long stretch of time when the man’s image was getting permanently burned into my television screen. He was on TV constantly doing nothing but explaining what he thought he was doing.

All in all there were very few surprises and it was a fairly standard political dog and pony show. But one theme remains. Obama wasn’t kidding when he told Eric Cantor that he was going to “take this to the American people.” I don’t know if this is all part of Plan Nine from DNC or not, but the president clearly plans to continue banging the drum and trying to get the voters to blame the GOP for the ongoing debt ceiling issue.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Does Obama actually think the voters agree that they have made “Good choices”?

Is he that far gone & out of touch?

portlandon on July 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hey, another report card….another solid B+!!!!

search4truth on July 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Thank you President Obama.

crr6 on May 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM

“Mr. President, what’s the most wonderfullest thing you’ve done for us so far?”

Akzed on July 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I hope they haven’t lost total touch with reality.

rob verdi on July 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Obama talking to a college crowd is like George W. Bush going to a military base after the people had turned on him.

He’s done.

rockmom on July 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Obama is…….CAPTAIN ANTI-AMERICA !

PappyD61 on July 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

If only he could handpick who can vote, he’d be fine.

Akzed on July 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM

He has made good choices. His choices have been great for unions, illegal aliens, thug dictators around the world and of course Barry O himself. It’s all a matter of perspective.

Tommy_G on July 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Sold.

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM

“Obama…how is it that you are so awesomely awesome?”

search4truth on July 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM

One young man who asked a question about the debt ceiling debate suggested he should just raise the ceiling himself…

Obviously a Rhodes Scholar.

Yes Mr. President, the Democrats have you and DWS and that is the greatest thing ever for Republicans.

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Incredible . . . their choices have a stench resembling goat dung. This guy is lost in a thick fog without a compass.

rplat on July 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Does Obama actually think the voters agree that they have made “Good choices”?

Is he that far gone & out of touch?

yes he is..but you give the electorate way too much credit. Despite all the BS our country has been through…he still has a shot to win reelection. As long as the press shrills for this clown…he has a chance.

SPGuy on July 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM

What’s the problem, Barry. Just go lawyer shopping like you did over the “war in Libya” until you find someone who will grant your wish.

After all, you are the King.

Knucklehead on July 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Good Communist Party decisions. Go to their web site, their only complaint he has not gone far enough. The comrades fully support the Obama agenda!
Shhhh…we are supposed to pretend we do not know.

IowaWoman on July 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I saw this performance, and let him take itlie to the American People, because his rhetoric is getting old. Loved the part where he was willing to cut “hundreds of billions from the Defense Department”. HA! He’d love to abolish the whole department, but don’t touch the Education Dept, EPA, HHS, Energy etc. What a dick!

cartooner on July 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM

This guy is shameless. I can’t even stand listening to him anymore.

forest on July 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM

It’s like that lame interview question…

Q: So, what would you say is one of your negative qualities?

OBama: Well, I work too hard and should really allow myself to relax once in a while.

Daemonocracy on July 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Lying a%s jackalope said what…?

Seven Percent Solution on July 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Was Cult of Personality blaring in the background?

….I exploit you, you still love me

I tell you one and one makes three…

reaganaut on July 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM

FUBAR!

Mutnodjmet on July 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Preaching to the unicorn tooth-fairy crowd again…

PatriotRider on July 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Compare Obama with some of the pics of Captain America and his high flying stunts and soldiering……..

PappyD61 on July 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Hitler, June 5 1944:

“Its Calais, damn it”

Hitler, June 7 1944:

“Its Calais, damn it”

King George diary, July 4 1776:

“Nothing important happened today”

Throughout history, powerful narcissists have made bodacious statements just before the fall, even when presented with solid facts to the contrary.

We’ve made good choices.

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Good grief. Doesn’t this sound like the classic BS artist in a job interview, who is asked what his weaknesses are, and replies, “well, sometimes I just get so busy saving the company that I forget to tell my bosses that I am saving the company.”

rockmom on July 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

So did he know it was going to be tough when he promised at maximum unemployment rate of 8%?

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2011 at 1:23 PM

CNN just reported that Obama’s approval rating had again fallen . . . they’re blaming it on angry Democrats. Actually, his rating is falling because he is blatantly incompetent and is lost in a thick fog without a compass.

rplat on July 22, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Obama town hall: “We’ve made good choices so far”

i laughed out loud when i heard that

LIAR!!!!

cmsinaz on July 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM

it was all about the o at that town hall

right now!
let me be clear
INHERITED
BLAME BUSH

usual routine..

cmsinaz on July 22, 2011 at 1:26 PM

i laughed out loud when i heard that

I believe he was talking about the menu at White House dinners.

reaganaut on July 22, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Hooligans.

Interesting word choice–Commies use this term in China a lot.

PattyJ on July 22, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Big deal, the lady next to her shuddered with multiple orgasms when PBHO entered the auditorium.

Bishop on July 22, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Excuse me while I wretch

gophergirl on July 22, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Tell a lie often enough…and people will believe it.

This is the crux of Obama’s PR efforts.

Good choices? Sure as hell would hate to see “poor choices” by this Administration.

coldwarrior on July 22, 2011 at 1:27 PM

trying to get the voters to blame the GOP for the ongoing debt ceiling issue.

with the lsm helping him out big time

cmsinaz on July 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM

King George diary, July 4 1776:

“Nothing important happened today”

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

That likely never happened. But he wouldn’t have heard about our declaration on July 4th anyways. News traveled slow back then.

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM

reaganaut on July 22, 2011 at 1:26 PM

yup

cmsinaz on July 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM

the time for talk was over….the time for vacaycay or golf was at hand….

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM

“We’ve made good choices so far.”

Well Barry, that’s certainly reflected in the current economic numbers, isn’t it?

This buffoon doesn’t yet realize that speaking to a crowd of acolytes isn’t going to get him re-elected.

GarandFan on July 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Golf. That’s what he was doing. And vacationing!

MTF on July 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM

He’s a busy man but she might be able to touch the hem of his garment.

shick on July 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Next question from the earnest student audience: “Mr. President dude….what the f**k is a constitution? Is that like when I eat too much peanut and get constituted?”

Bishop on July 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Amazing.

Cicero43 on July 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Obama town hall: “We’ve made good choices so far”

This would coincide with Jay Carney’s shovel-ready great big steaming pile of BS comment yesterday on how Obama has VASTLY improved the economy since he was elected.

pilamaye on July 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I actually can’t watch him, without being reminded of Hugo Chavez.

Every. Single. Time.

KMC1 on July 22, 2011 at 1:34 PM

There are no American tanks in Baghdad.

Cicero43 on July 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Oslo burns and Obama is visiting colleges

faraway on July 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Look on my works, ye mighty. And despair.

/Obamandias

MJBrutus on July 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Did he finally tell us what type of tree he would be?

WashJeff on July 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM

The longer the bad economy goes on, the more important it is for Obama to sell the idea that the depth of the recession was predetermined from the outset, and the reason his solutions didn’t work isn’t because the solutions were bad, but because the recession was worse than he thought.

His solution was the right one for the recession he thought we had. But the recession was worse than anybody thought.

vs.
The recession was bad, and his solution made it worse (or didn’t help)

MayBee on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

And that’s the Dem strategy – it’s not that people reject liberalism and socialism over and over and over and over again, it’s the messaging that’s the problem! All they have to do is find the right way to explain it and we’ll gladly hand over 95% of our earnings to the government.

crazy_legs on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Did he finally tell us what type of tree he would be?

WashJeff on July 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I’m going for Rotten Lemon Tree

faraway on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

We’ve made good choices so far

Martha’s Vineyard, JLo, Super Bowl parties, Cop killa’ rappers, Hawaii, Spain….yep, that is certainly quite an array of choices.

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

… Jay Carney’s shovel-ready great big steaming pile of BS …

pilamaye: I love that phrase. Finally, a shovel-ready project that was as ready as we thought.

stefano1 on July 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM

RASMUSSEN SHOCK POLL: Barack Obama 41% Ron Paul 37%… developing…

via d-rudge

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM

faraway on July 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM

good point…he gave a lot of shout outs but did not hear nary a word on oslo…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I have to consider the town hall a failure unless someone fainted at the very sound of Obama’s voice. Only one tearful plea to shake his hand? Obama must be losing his touch.

jakev on July 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM

MayBee on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

ding ding ding

cmsinaz on July 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Hi, ted c! How you been doing? Did you mention several months ago that you were moving to Texas?

silvernana on July 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Q: So, what would you say is one of your negative qualities?

A: “I’ve still got to get rid of that slice on my long drives”

tommyboy on July 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I just can’t think of the PBHO administration any more without visions of where it will end. That being of the view while looking up from a deserted beach at a formally dressed ape astride a pony with the near by head of Lady Liberty poking out of the sand.

MJBrutus on July 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM

silvernana on July 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM

yep–and poof! here i am

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Obama town hall: “We’ve made good choices so far”

Yeah, about that:

GAO audit report shows Federal Reserve issued $16 trillion during recession, Sen. Sanders urges reform

For example, the CEO of JP Morgan Chase served on the New York Fed’s board of directors at the same time that his bank received more than $390 billion in financial assistance from the Fed. Moreover, JP Morgan Chase served as one of the clearing banks for the Fed’s emergency lending programs.

In another disturbing finding, the GAO said that on Sept. 19, 2008, William Dudley, who is now the New York Fed president, was granted a waiver to let him keep investments in AIG and General Electric at the same time AIG and GE were given bailout funds. One reason the Fed did not make Dudley sell his holdings, according to the audit, was that it might have created the appearance of a conflict of interest.

To Sanders, the conclusion is simple. “No one who works for a firm receiving direct financial assistance from the Fed should be allowed to sit on the Fed’s board of directors or be employed by the Fed,” he said.

Who’s going to pay the Fed shareholders 16 trillion (on top of our official 14.3, so far, debt) interest on capital.
Still think QE isn’t a wealth creation instrument?

Speakup on July 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

PBHO wasn’t as clear as he should have been that the stimucrap was supposed to keep unemployment at 8.8%? I don’t know about the rest of you but I understood that, and if a slopehead like me can get it I’m pretty sure everyone else can too.

Bishop on July 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM

This is a recurring theme. Their ideas are never bad, they never make mistakes. It’s a communication problem. People perceive their actions as detrimental when instead of expecting results, they should see things through the prism of intention.

John Deaux on July 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM

..c’mon, Jazz. You’re gonna hafta put alerts in your posts otherwise I’ll be reading trash like this (not your words, the subject matter) with a barf bag in hand.

The War Planner on July 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Welcome back (to HA) Ted!

The War Planner on July 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM

MJBrutus on July 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that was funny.

There’s a joke in there that will get someone instantly banned if they want to go for it.

Bishop on July 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM

thx TWP. I’ve been off my HA crackpipe for a while. its nice to be back in the saddle a little bit.

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Jazz Shaw wrote:

With Obama, it’s all about praise and blame. Not about doing what’s right.

Paul-Cincy on July 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Is he that far gone & out of touch?

portlandon on July 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Yes and he has to keep deluding himself.

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM

It did happen and you are correct that he didn’t hear about it for a while.

dogsoldier on July 22, 2011 at 1:54 PM

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Let me google that for you

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM

[nuts...too fast on the submit button]

The vote for independence occurred on July 2, 1776. The DOI was signed on the 4th. It took a day to get the original back from the “printer”, ready for signatures.

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Remember, this is the guy who said the surge in Iraq worked better than anybody could have expected.

With Obama, if the results are different than he expects, he wants people to believe the solution he proposed was right for the problem everybody thought we had.

(It isn’t true, of course. Bush and Petraeus-and even McCain expected it to work.)

MayBee on July 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Same with me. I was in a auto crash back in April and am recuperating from two surgeries and totally lost interest in politics. What part of Texas did you settle in?

silvernana on July 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Wonder how big the crowd was…nothing was mentioned so perhaps it was small.

PattyJ on July 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM

silvernana on July 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM

we’re in San Antonio area. I remember that you injured your thigh, wrist and elbow IIRC. hope you’re doing better.

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM

dogsoldier on July 22, 2011 at 1:54 PM

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Sorry guys. It’s a myth.

I did look it up before I replied. I wasn’t assuming anything. Read the end of the above article about what Louis XVI wrote on Bastille Day.

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM

NPR? You linked to NPR?

Partner, thats a ban-worthy offense.

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

ted c on July 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Ah, the hill country – my favorite place on earth (the Blue Hole at Wimberley). Actually, it was wrist and ankle area. I’m healing but the walking part is not happening yet and I’m impatient. But I’ll get there. Hope you love living in Texas!

silvernana on July 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I wonder if there would be any heart or stomach for impeachment in The House (The People’s Chamber). After all, if Present-Dunce Ø’Bammy starts to play political games with debt payments, transfer payments and interest payments, given that there is enough revenue ongoing to pay for everything right now, why not put his phreaquing a$$ on the firing line where he will have to use his record, the record of his staff, and the requirement to answer questions not of his own choosing without TOTUS to guide him. He’d also be responsible for his own legal counsel, too.
Quite a picture, two Democrats in a row impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors. That’ll show somebody that “smart power” is a myth and a lie.

ExpressoBold on July 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM

NPR? You linked to NPR?

Partner, thats a ban-worthy offense.

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

In this particular case it being NPR is not relivent. King George never had a diary and there is no record of him writing this anywhere.

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM

via Drudge:

RASMUSSEN SHOCK POLL: Barack Obama 41% Ron Paul 37%

pseudonominus on July 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM

When my kids were teenagers, they used to roll their eyes and mock “make good choices” when we would leave them for the evening.

Obama is stuck in adolescence.

Fallon on July 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM

TOWN HALL MEETING???????!!!!!!!

Get the *&#$! back to Washington and get some WORK done.

*#%^

bridgetown on July 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Look, over there….is that Janet Jacksons’ boob?

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Noonan, I know, I know…”he achieved in 2 1/2 years what GWB did in 5, no one listens to him any more”.

Schadenfreude on July 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM

“We’ve made good choices so far”

He left out the words ” where Michelle takes the girls on a taxpayer funded vacation.”

Beaglemom on July 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Look, over there….is that Janet Jacksons’ boob?

BobMbx on July 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM

There are references on Wikipedia syaing that it never happened and that George did not have a diary (no time to link right now). And Janet Jackson’s boobs make me want to flee, so until tomorrow.

NotCoach on July 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM

What sort of delusion land does he live in, anyway?

Bob's Kid on July 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM

via Drudge:

RASMUSSEN SHOCK POLL: Barack Obama 41% Ron Paul 37%
pseudonominus on July 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM

That is a shocker.

I would have thought Ron Paul could have beaten the wanna-be dick-tator 65% to 35%… and I don’t even like RP.

My dog out polls Obama 3-1 but my dog is really cute and he only steals socks from me.

Fallon on July 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Does Obama actually think the voters agree that they have made “Good choices”?

Is he that far gone & out of touch?

portlandon on July 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM

If they can find enough morons to fill a townhall meeting for Obama…just think of the many morons out there, still lapping up the koolaid from Mama Obama’s teat.

capejasmine on July 22, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Is he that far gone & out of touch?

portlandon on July 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM

As long as Scooter has himself, he’ll never be alone.

kingsjester on July 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Where do they get these people? I blame public education, which has our students leading the world in self-esteem and Gender Studies, but at the bottom of the industrialized nations when it comes to anything involving actual knowledge or thinking skills.

Adjoran on July 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM

We’ve made good choices so far

Where? At the Ice Cream Parlor in Martha’s Vineyard?

kingsjester on July 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

He’s a busy man but she might be able to touch the hem of his garment.

shick on July 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

She can walk again! And see again! And vote again and again and again and again! It’s a miracle! /s

dominigan on July 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM

He’s a busy man but she might be able to touch the hem of his garment.

shick on July 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

dominigan on July 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Someone should sneak into one of these gospel sessions and do that for a lark.

slickwillie2001 on July 22, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Obama visited my Alma Mater today. I doubt they had to do much ‘hand picking’ to assemble that sort of crowd. Ah, memories…..

Red State State of Mind on July 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Adjoran on July 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Greetings from Maryland, the ‘Free State”. As a graduate of it’s public schools and it’s Public University, I can tell you that even back in the 70′s, Maryland was a very blue, Democratic state, and the Teachers Unions were and still are very strong here. In college, I substitute taught occasionally at my old Junior High and also in my Parish’s school, and the differences in core skills proficiency were stunningly evident. I imagine that 30 + years later, it might even be worse.

Red State State of Mind on July 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM