Obama town hall: “We’ve made good choices so far”

posted at 1:10 pm on July 22, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

The president held a town hall at the University of Maryland this morning, and it’s a bit of a stretch of the imagination to think it was some sort of a coincidence that it kicked off scant moments after the Senate voted down CC&B. In fact, he led off with that topic in a big way, repeating his ongoing bully pulpit theme about how he’s been offering everything but the kitchen sink, how he is offering up programs which are important to his base, but those pesky Republicans in the House just won’t listen to reason.

The crowd was pretty obviously hand picked. One young man who asked a question about the debt ceiling debate suggested he should just raise the ceiling himself and wait for the 2012 elections to have voters “get rid of these hooligans in the House.” (It was fairly obvious that he wasn’t referring to the Democrats.) A young lady asking the next question nearly broke into tears when she asked if she could shake Obama’s hand. Tough room.

On an interesting side note, in response to the question about raising the ceiling himself, Obama indicated that his lawyers had advised him that he doesn’t have the power under the Constitution to do so.

The president did get one of the old standards tossed his way, asking if he had any regrets or would have done anything differently thus far in his term, and it produced a few interesting comments. Like most politicians, he started off not by saying what he’d done wrong, but what he had done right. In terms of building an economic recovery, he said, “We’ve made good choices so far.”

Moving on to the “what could I have done differently” portion of the agenda, Obama delivered a bit of a stunner. After inserting the mandatory “blame Bush” preface about four million jobs being lost before he was even sworn in, he said, “I could have been clearer about how tough it was going to be. I was so focused on policy, on getting the policy right, I forgot that part of my job was explaining to the American people what I was doing.”

Seriously? I seem to recall a pretty long stretch of time when the man’s image was getting permanently burned into my television screen. He was on TV constantly doing nothing but explaining what he thought he was doing.

All in all there were very few surprises and it was a fairly standard political dog and pony show. But one theme remains. Obama wasn’t kidding when he told Eric Cantor that he was going to “take this to the American people.” I don’t know if this is all part of Plan Nine from DNC or not, but the president clearly plans to continue banging the drum and trying to get the voters to blame the GOP for the ongoing debt ceiling issue.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“Mr President, can you please yell ‘left turn‘ next time so you don’t break my nose?”

NumberTwo on July 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM

GOP: “Cut spending.”
Obama: You must be that little Conservative brat I taught a lesson to all those years ago. You’ve been chasing me your whole life only to fail now? I think that’s about the worst thing I’ve ever heard.
GOP: “Cut, cap and balance.”
Obama: “Stop saying that!”
GOP. “CUT. CAP. BALANCE.”
Obama: “I’ll give you anything you want!”
GOP: “Offer me money.”
Obama: “Yes, more government spending!”
GOP: “Power, too, promise me that.”
Obama: “All that I have and more!”
GOP: “Offer me anything that I ask for.”
Obama: “Anything you want…”
GOP: “I want my future back you sonuvabitch.”

My name is Inigo Votera. You destroyed my country. No prepare to retire.

DailyDanet on July 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I hope they didn’t let her. Everything Obama touches dies.

Squiggy on July 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Did he finally tell us what type of tree he would be?

WashJeff on July 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I’m going for Rotten Lemon Tree

faraway on July 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Well, I hope that on January 20, 2012, he’ll be hiss-tree!

Mary in LA on July 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Tough room.

LOL. The only tough rooms Obama enters are the ones with Paul Ryan in them.

SukieTawdry on July 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Hey, another report card….another solid B+!!!!

search4truth on July 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM

No, no. He got health care passed which bumped him up to an A-.

SukieTawdry on July 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Did he finally tell us what type of tree he would be?

WashJeff on July 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM

He’s that tree that flowers every twelve years and smells like rotting flesh.

slickwillie2001 on July 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM

That means that he doesn’t want to do it on his own, am I right? Otherwise he would ask his BFF to ask his lawyers’ BFFs if they liked the idea or not, and if they said “bad idea” he could ignore them and do it anyway, since he never actually asked them himself.

disa on July 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Our TVs are in no danger because he’s not allowed on the screen for more than 10 seconds.

disa on July 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM