Could 2012 be the GOP’s year among youth voters?

posted at 7:00 pm on July 22, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Millennials voted two-to-one for President Barack Obama in 2008 and they also supported John Kerry in 2004, but, in today’s Wall Street Journal, Fox News contributor and author Margaret Hoover contends that Republicans can still win them over.

Hoover first sketches a brief profile of the millennial generation, pointing out three key characteristics: (1) Millennials have been hit worse by the Great Recession than any other age cohort, (2) Millennial politics are pragmatic, not ideological and (3) Millennials are the most diverse and least traditional generation in America.

Given those characteristics, Hoover recommends the following approach for the GOP:

In order to win this generation over, Republicans need to minimize their emphasis on social issues and focus instead on jobs, jobs and jobs. The party should also showcase its significant ethnic and gender diversity in the wake of the 2010 elections, when the GOP put three female governors and two Hispanic governors in office. It also has two Indian-American governors, and it has fielded female and African-American presidential candidates. The Republican Party, in other words, is no longer a party of elderly white men.

With a focus on positive, pragmatic alternatives to the tried-and-failed policies of the Obama administration, Republicans have a chance to win back the youth vote. But the party will have to make a persuasive case that it offers the hope and change millennials have been waiting for.

Like the millennials Hoover describes, that sounds like a particularly pragmatic approach to me — especially her acute emphasis on jobs. After all, as Hoover points out, fully 37 percent of millennials are unemployed or underemployed, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. And the effects of the president’s economic policies are pretty difficult to spin in BHO’s favor. Hoover explains:

Since President Obama took office the deficit has more than tripled and the debt has skyrocketed. Every dollar Mr. Obama has borrowed or spent is a dollar millennials are going to have to pay back in the years ahead, in the form of higher taxes, a more sluggish economy, or both. Republicans can stress that while the Obama presidency has darkened the fiscal future, they have put forward solutions (such as the budget authored by Rep. Paul Ryan) to jump-start the economy and salvage the safety net for millennials.

But as much as I admire Hoover’s practical strategy, I’m not sure it goes far enough — at least not in terms of “winning the future” beyond 2012. It makes sense, in terms of winning elections, to craft a message to fit the electorate. But in terms of winning hearts and minds, underlying ideas — first principles, to use the catch-phrase — matter most. And all too often, the problem among millennials is that they haven’t had enough exposure to the first principles of conservatism. I’d be interested to know what proportion of millennials have casually encountered the ideas of Edmund Burke to go back a bit or of the more recent William F. Buckley, Jr., Russell Kirk, F.A. Hayek, Milton Friedman, etc., etc. Conservative organizations like the Intercollegiate Studies Institute have made great strides in this area — but I’d still bet more of my generation haven’t studied conservative underpinnings than have.

Millennial pragmatism seems to me to be nothing more than youth voters’ best attempt to make sense of politics in the absence of an ideology, which, incidentally, need not be a “bad” word if it’s understood as a coherent scheme by which to interpret information. Provided with such a coherent scheme, millennials might find some principles are worth fighting for.

Comments

No. Younger yes. Youth, no.

upinak on July 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Millennial politics are pragmatic, not ideological

Huge problem for the GOP.

bayam on July 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Well if they have federal student loans they are finding that the policies of the government are killing off jobs and, thusly, they go into default on those loans and go into poverty and have a permanent black mark on their record.

Don’t worry, government is there to HELP YOU.

Into permanent poverty.

ajacksonian on July 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM

You know who Hoover is married to? Mr No Labels himself, John Avlon. Maybe not a big deal but worth noting.

huckleberryfriend on July 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I’m all for raising the voting age back to 21. Actually I’m good with them upping it to 25 or so.

Tommy_G on July 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Margaret Hoover’s ancestor Herbert was a horrible Republican and she is keeping the family tradition alive. Her new book is horrible and she is a phony. She’s not a conservative. She’s not a libertarian. She says we need to get past the social issues but now she wants us to fold on the fiscal stuff too. She is NOT my “80% friend”. She’s with the Left more than the Right. What a waste.

Plus, she’s married to John Avlon. Perfect match. All people like them do is undermine the very causes they claim to support. At least David Brooks is a good writer and has an original thought from time to time. If Hoover looked like Brooks no one would have ever heard of her.

D0WNT0WN on July 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Kathleen Parker II.

portlandon on July 22, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Plus, she’s married to John Avlon. Perfect match.

D0WNT0WN on July 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Can you imagine a more puke couple. A liberal and a db*g who screams wingnuts everytime the GOP finds its spine. No wonder she wants the GOP to get more liberal.

BTW, it’s not social issues that’s killing the GOP with young voters; it’s that young voters are much less white than previous generations. Put Rubio on the ticket and they’ll see an intelligent Hispanic who can cogently make the conservative case.

IR-MN on July 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Principle matches pragmatism for them, if they’ll just see it. They need to be convinced of the FACT that if they don’t help the conservatives win, they’ll be paying our bills for decades after they’ve shoveled dirt in our faces.

michaelo on July 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Margaret Hoover is half of Bill O’Reilly’s “Smart Blond, Dumb Blond” tandem. Wanna guess what half she represents?

bw222 on July 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM

If they had an intelligence contest between Margaret Hoover and Contessa Brewer, there would be no winner.

bw222 on July 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Millennials Brain-dead idiots voted two-to-one for President Barack Obama in 2008 and they also supported John Kerry in 2004, but, in today’s Wall Street Journal, Fox News contributor and author Margaret Hoover contends that Republicans can still win them over.

Better is good.

Please don’t count on the idiots to carry us out of this Godawful quagmire.

It won’t happen because of them; it may happen despite their idiot selves.

We’ve got our work cut out for us, as the saying goes…

hillbillyjim on July 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Is it just me or is this the same exact argument made each election cycle regarding the “youth vote” and the mythical opportunity for the RNC to gain their support?

TBinSTL on July 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Margaret Hoover, the dimwit who said she wants the Government to pay for everyone’s birth control last night on BOR.

Knucklehead on July 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

While the GOP can take a larger share than it has in recent years, young voters are still heavily influenced by the “social justice” indoctrination of high school and college, and the eat up the dem’s demagoguery on wealth redistribution. Something for nothing will be a winning message for the left.

Dead Hand Control on July 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM

IR-MN on July 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Completely agree.

D0WNT0WN on July 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Margaret Hoover contends

How the heck did Margaret Hoover ever get “air time” on this blog? I’m embarrassed to be ideologically aligned with that nitwit.

MeatHeadinCA on July 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I was hoping that Tina Kobe would be more conservative instead of a RINO like Allah and Ed. Like my late mother used to tell me, you don’t always get what you hope for.

bw222 on July 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Uh oh! Charges of racism in 3,2,1…

glennbo on July 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I’m embarrassed to be ideologically aligned with that nitwit.

MeatHeadinCA on July 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

You’re not. She’s the classic Rockefeller Republican. She is not a conservative but simply a Republican and only defends conservatives to the limited extent she does because she’s in the Republican Party. And she’s only in the Republican Party because she was born into a Republican family.

If she were a billionaire and had not been born with the last name Hoover she would be the female Mike Bloomberg. If she had been born with the last name Kennedy she’d be working in the Obama administration.

D0WNT0WN on July 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I was hoping that Tina Kobe (sic) would be more conservative instead of a RINO like Allah and Ed. Like my late mother used to tell me, you don’t always get what you hope for.

bw222 on July 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM

That’s not fair. Allah is just pessimistic about EVERYTHING, and Ed, …well, Ed is too optimistic about the intentions of the opposition.

RINOs they’re not; mislead by their own convictions? A definite maybe.

hillbillyjim on July 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM

As they never will. First principles is baseline good morals. Who wants to be the person to stand up and tell them that they have to start actually holding everybody accountable for their immoral behaviors in order for society to be able to thrive.

That means Tiger Woods is not allowed to sway their opinion about a shoe, and in fact, if it does, it should be towards the negative. It means that the teams and sponsors of Vicks are told in no uncertain terms that they will not be getting the people’s money to turn over to Vicks. It means that the deviants and their enablers are ignored at best, such as lady gaga. It means that shows that put people on TV and pay her an interview fee, like Mrs Anthony, we stop supporting them with our eyes and therefore ad dollars. Those are real first principles. Along with the other first principles you might actually be talking about, such as generational wealth redistribution is evil. That building up never ending debt to pass the burden onto the next generation is also evil, and then demonstrate why it is evil.

astonerii on July 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM

BTW, if you’ve read Tina Korbe for any length of time, you’ll already know she’s no RINO either.

hillbillyjim on July 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Could 2012 be the GOP’s year among youth voters?

Yes! See studentsforperry on Facebook and @perrystudents on Twitter.

publiuspen on July 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM

They aren’t going to get ‘conservatism’.

They will get being poor and with no prospects under Democrats and Liberals be looking for a way out that doesn’t force them to get out of mom’s basement.

With nothing left after Liberalism/Progressivism there will be few choices. And in debt they will also have to deal with a very, very harsh life for many years. They will be mugged hard by reality. Doesn’t matter if they call themselves ‘conservative’ or not: they will change how they see the world due to the consequences of wooly thinking.

ajacksonian on July 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Maybe if parents passed their values and beliefs on to their children and got involved in their education (political, religious, and otherwise) instead of leaving it to the “professionals”.

D0WNT0WN on July 22, 2011 at 7:39 PM

bw222 on July 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Your ignorance, idiocy, and abject, unadulterated cluelessness knows NO BOUNDS.

It’s frightening.

blatantblue on July 22, 2011 at 7:40 PM

They aren’t going to get ‘conservatism’.

ajacksonian on July 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Do not doubt the intellect of an entire generation. There are smart ones who think right. They choose to be conservative.

publiuspen on July 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Tommy_G

How about to age 26? Unless they no longer are covered by their parents’ medical insurance. If they pay their own way, they can then vote at age 18.

honsy on July 22, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Another call for a neo-con candidate. When was the last time we propped one of those up? I think that year was, um … 2008. Yeah, John McCain! Now I remember.

He lost.

honsy on July 22, 2011 at 7:42 PM

How about if they’re no longer spending most of their spare time playing video games? That would raise it to about 30 (at least for males).

manwithblackhat on July 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM

It seems to me that the new generation, whatever handle you choose to tag them with, just might have enough sense of self-interest to find the right path come election day.

If not, then they can kick themselves in the ass forever.

hillbillyjim on July 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Just got home from work.
I know two ‘youth’ that’ll be voting GOP in 2012.
One turns 18 in April and the other in June.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Has anyone ever seen Hoover highlight that she’s a member of the board of GOProud? I haven’t.

BuckeyeSam on July 22, 2011 at 7:59 PM

publiuspen on July 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

So long as they function in a way that reflects knowledge that their decisions will have lasting impacts upon them and their children, and that putting us all into debt will not save us all, that is what matters.

I go by the Gods of the Copybook Headings and they do not lie, they do not deceive and they always mete out punishment to those that don’t pay attention to them. Really, know them and does it matter what you call yourself?

ajacksonian on July 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Thanks for tarring myself and my friends with the lazy good for nothing brush.

Men like my best friend, who is a Specialist (E-4) in the Army and currently spinning up for his 2nd deployment to Iraq.

Like the folks I went through my freshman “rat” year in the Corps of Cadets with most of whom are currently serving in uniform. One is an Army Ranger, others are Airmen, and 2 are Marines

Like myself who wanted (and still wants to) serve my nation so badly that I pulled a JFK (lied to the Navy about my medical condition) to get in.

Like my friend who I buried in ANC last year.

Please we’re not ALL lazy worthless good for nothing sh!tbags.

I am 25 and am SLOWLY and painfully working my way out of all my debts delivering pizzas. Hoping some day to go back and finish my degree and just trying to survive til then.

SgtSVJones on July 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM

And no I DID NOT vote for the moron in chief nor any d-rats since I became eligible.

SgtSVJones on July 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM

One hopes, but probably not. The young voters are too close to high school government elections in which the Black candidate always wins. I’m curious if anyone has an example to the contrary that doesn’t involve a bizarre external event. I’ve never heard of one.

Mason on July 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Maggie Hoover and Tina Korbe…a match made in heaven.
Listening to Margaret Hoover tell us how to get the youth vote is like listening to Mark McKinnon tell us how to attack obama.

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Huge problem for the GOP.

bayam on July 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM

If you have bought into media spin that Obama somehow isn’t the least pragmatic, most hardcore ideologue ever to inhabit the white house, please ask a friend to slap you.

Kataklysmic on July 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM

SgtSVJones on July 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Could you please go over to my ex-wife’s place and kick the living you-know-what out of my two millennial children until they both understand that remaining perpetually unemployed, voting for Obama, and carrying a video controller around with them everywhere is no way to go through life. Thank you!

My collie says:

If they say “WTF?”, just tell them that John Wayne said, “Life is hard. It’s harder if you’re stupid.”

Good idea, collie. That way, they’ll know it all came from their dear old dad.

CyberCipher on July 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Tina continues to be a disappointment. Hoover was preaching before the economy created this electoral opening in the Democrats that Republicans had to abandon abortion and gay marriage to win back young voters. Of course now she’s onto the economy which if you live longer than Tina or Hoover you realize is what makes people switch sides. Hoover makes the mistake of thinking this generation is ANY different than previous ones who DID NOT vote a majority for Republicans in any elction but REAGAN’s in 1984. Forunately for all of us the Conservative movement is not controlled by the young WHO ALWAYS think the left is right on social issues until they are far enough from youth to know better. Tina, if you are reading this please research that this generation is no more left socially than youth of 20 years ago. Guess who loved Jimmy Carter Tina before voting for Reagan?

Conan on July 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Howdy, ‘Sting; howya doin?

massrighty on July 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Good idea, collie. That way, they’ll know it all came from their dear old dad.

CyberCipher on July 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I don’t have a collie. I did used to tell my kids to slap some bacon on a biscuit and saddle up – we’re burning daylight!

massrighty on July 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM

CyberCipher on July 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Gladly if you’d compensate me for the trip. But here’s an easier idea:
Just ask your ex-wife to throw them out of the house if they’re 18 or older.

Short version: I spent about 2 years (from the start of the “meltdown” in mid 08 which was my junior year of college) or so living in my mother’s basement doing odd part time jobs and wondering why the hell I was so unhappy with my life.

Finally figured out when I made that visit to ANC (Arlington National Cemetery) that I still loved a woman I have known for years (we dated a long while ago and kept in touch) and resolved to man up and get back to her or die trying.

So I wrote my parents a note took what little money I had (all in savings bonds) and threw myself out of the house and 310 miles away. Then the previous training I had took over.

It was get a job or starve. Literally.
Get a job or live in your car/side of road. Which I did for a while.

I didn’t do it alone. She helped me not to starve. Other various friends put me up on a couch on and off for a month. I WAS on food stamps for 6 months. But I manned up and fixed most of the problems in my life.

Until your kids are faced with that actual Mommy and Daddy aren’t here to help you (again mine was a self-imposed thing) they WON’T grow up.

SgtSVJones on July 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

SgtSVJones ~

God bless you and thanks for your service to our nation!

honsy on July 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM
Howdy, ‘Sting; howya doin?

massrighty on July 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Hey you, massrighty. I’m madder than a hornet. You?

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM

SgtSVJones ~

God bless you and thanks for your service to our nation!

honsy on July 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Don’t thank me. I never served.

The Navy found out I lied in short order and told me “Midshipman Jones. Get lost.” USNR-College NROTC

Then I tried to enlist in the Army and was fully honest with them. They sent me to MEPS and I flunked for the same reason.

I still have the “warrior spirit” or “Semper Fi” attitude as my old Gunnery Sargent told me I just never got to actually get there.

SgtSVJones on July 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Millennial politics are pragmatic, not ideological

In their youth, yes. But they grow up and have responsibilities and things change.

obladioblada on July 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Hey you, massrighty. I’m madder than a hornet. You?

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Slappin away at Bayam on the Boehner thread she/he must like it like Kevin Bacon in Animal house.

massrighty on July 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM

obladioblada on July 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Could not have said a better summary of most of my former college classmates.

I know MANY who were VERY liberal in college. Now that they’re out and have to repay debts, or are serving on active duty or have jobs (the lucky ones) they are MUCH more conservative.

SgtSVJones on July 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Hey you, massrighty. I’m madder than a hornet. You?

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM

massrighty on July 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM

The ‘thick’ is strong with that one.

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM

SgtSVJones ~

I see by your response that you are an upfront & honest man. God bless you no matter what!

honsy on July 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

The ‘thick’ is strong with that one.

HornetSting on July 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Yes, ma’am.

massrighty on July 22, 2011 at 9:25 PM

We don’t need her kind of young people!! Liberal RINO’s just like her!! She just needs to go to the Democratic party where she belongs

Bullhead on July 22, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Hoover = one book I’m not going to buy.

Connie on July 22, 2011 at 10:26 PM

They are making it too complicated. Younger voters will vote Republican because of jobs. Enough said…

jeffn21 on July 22, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Actually, if you look at exit polls from 2010 you’ll see something interesting. The democrats cleaned the clock with 18-29 year olds. But for some races, ages were further broken down. If you look at all the 18-24 year olds, the GOP performed SUBSTANTIALLY better. Many GOP governors and senators won this age group. Blunt, Portman, Rand Paul, Coats, and Rubio all won 18-24 year olds. Other candidates narowly lost 18-24 year olds, but performed a lot better with them than 24-29 year olds.

Just some food for thought.

Missouri
All ages: 54-41 Blunt (R)
18-29: 51-44 Carnahan (D)
[Interesting to note that the very youngest voters supported Blunt, while 25-29 year olds voted 57-39 for Carnahan, the only group to do so.]

Wisconsin
All ages: 52-47 Johnson (R)
18-29: 53-46 Feingold (D)
[Here we see again, 18-24 barely voting for Feingold while he wins 25-29 by a much larger 12 points.)

Florida
All ages: 49 Rubio (R) – 30 Crist (I) – 20 Meek (D)
18-29: 36 Rubio (R) – 33 Crist (I) – 31 Meek (D)
[18-24 group went for the Republican by 1 point, while 25-29 went to the Democrat by 1 point.]

Illinois
All ages: 48-47 Kirk (R)
18-29: 59-33 Giannoulias (D)
[18-24 was 56-36 Giannoulias, while 25-29 was 62-30 Giannoulias.]

Indiana
All ages: 55-40 Coats (R)
18-29: 55-42 Coats (R)

Kentucky
All ages: 56-44 Paul (R)
18-29: 51-48 Conway (D)
[18-24 voted for Paul, 52-47. 25-29 voted for Conway, 56-42, and they were the only age group in Kentucky to favor the Democrat.]

AUH2O on July 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM

What? Meghan McCain unavailable for comment…she’s an expert on the youth vote too, don’t you know?

Cheesestick on July 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I suppose I should add that I don’t mean all of the youth votes, but more than normal.

jeffn21 on July 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Hoover is about as credible as a PPP poll.

Daemonocracy on July 22, 2011 at 11:33 PM

So freeloading slacker is the new definition for pragmatic.

jdkchem on July 23, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I’d like to know how you sanctimonious rightwing nitwits think you are going to win elections in the future.

If you aren’t willing to reach out to younger voters, you will go the way of the do-do. And you obviously aren’t. You’d rather stew in ideology and blather on about how principled you are than live in the real world. Anyone who doesn’t believe as you do is to be ridiculed and shunned.

That list is getting awfully long, btw. Calling Hoover stupid is one thing, but Charles Krauthammer? All those people, young and old, who don’t meet your “standards” will vote nonetheless. They just won’t be voting with you.

Meredith on July 23, 2011 at 12:19 AM

bayam on July 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM

ROFLOL. You tell a better joke than Obama.

chemman on July 23, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Anyone who doesn’t believe as you do is to be ridiculed and shunned.
Meredith on July 23, 2011 at 12:19 AM

I believe you’ve just described Barack Obama – Nancy Pelosi – Harry Reid – Chuck Schumer – Debbie Wasserman-Shultz – Ed Shultz – Jim Moran – Dick Durban – Bill Maher – Arianna Huffington – Jesse Jackson – Keith Olbermann – Al Gore – Rachael Maddow – Randi Rhodes – Gwen Ifill (and pretty much the rest of the PBS and NPR crews…Bill Moyers in particular) – Garrison Keillor – Al Franken – Tom Friedman – Alan Grayson – Michael Moore – Michael Eric Dyson – Cornell West – Noam Chomsky – the AAUP and the rest of Academe…well you get the idea, and I didn’t even get warmed up yet.

We have a polarized society, and, as they say “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!”

eeyore on July 23, 2011 at 1:14 AM

It is a mistake to analyze the “youth vote” as if it were “Obama versus Republican X.” It’s not.

Obama excited the young voters as no one ever had in 2008, and they voted in their highest numbers in half a century (highest ever for 18-21). But the default position for younger voters has always been just not to bother with it.

So every young Obama voter from 2008 who stays home this time is almost as good as a vote for the GOP nominee. The contest for the youth vote in 2012 is “Obama versus Republican X – plus Apathy.”

Adjoran on July 23, 2011 at 2:23 AM

PEW has a poll showing young white voters going GOP in large numbers. The Dem 7 point lead is now a GOP 11 point lead. Click here

Dollayo on July 23, 2011 at 5:25 AM

Maybe not, but Ted Kennedy proved Dean Wormer was wrong. Fat, drunk and stupid is a way to go through life, especially if you have the Kennedy fortune behind you.

pdigaudio on July 23, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Hoover and their fellow young female travelers among us are uncomfortable being in the minority among their peers. That is a product of young women that dissappears with age and often motherhood ends thier preoccupation with gay marriage and abortion rights as their view of HAVING children and respect for traditional marriage becomes more clearly a benefit to themselves. These young women also don’t see beyond thier own peer group and think that you can arrange the party around what young voters prioritize. The fact is the GOP is the grown-up position and you can’t be the grown-up party and the youth party at the same time. You attract as many young voters as you can like a parent tries to attract children to what works versus what feels good and you leave to the OTHER demographics that the GOP makes sense to, to carry the majority of votes you need. The same arguments goes for illegal immigration and Hispanics. People think that you can attract Hispanics using illegal immigration without losing white voters in greater numbers. Sorry, but racial voting leads to more racial voting and pandering to illegal immigration will turn states like Pennsylvania and Ohio permanantly RED. Every action politically has a (possibly greater) reaction which young Hoover has not learned. Throw Obama into that also.

Conan on July 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM

As I have been saying for months now, give no trust to an “R” who claims the title “fiscal conservative” while avoiding any ties to social conservatism. They are cowards who cave in on the fiscal issues, and never took a stand on social issues. They are the worst possible aspect of the GOP, and Romney leads the march.

Vote your conscience, first and always.

Freelancer on July 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Vote your conscience, first and always.

Freelancer on July 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

And if your conscience says to take a small government approach to social matters as well as economic?

Rangeley on July 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM