Video: Police officer threatens concealed-carry driver with execution, beating; Update: Officer relieved of duty, under investigation

posted at 10:05 am on July 21, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Ohio’s concealed-carry law requires anyone stopped by police to immediately notify the officer if they are armed.  Failure to do so is a first-class misdemeanor that can result in a six-month jail term and a thousand-dollar fine, as well as losing the license to carry.  It’s usually not considered a death penalty offense, unless one gets pulled over in Beachwood Canton, Ohio, in a case highlighted today by Ohioans for Concealed Carry:

William pulled his car to the side of the road to let out two passengers, but only the female occupant managed to exit before the police pulled up and began screaming at all three parties. “Stay in that car, I’m not going to mess around,” screamed one of the officers at the two people attempting to exit the vehicle. The driver and concealed handgun licensee, William, remained seated in his vehicle when an officer entered the rear of the vehicle.

William stated, “I have a concealed carry, and…” when he was abruptly told to shut up. Dash camera video footage shows the driver turning his head, and his voice can be heard, but the words are inaudible. A few minutes passed while the officer continued to berate the two passengers. He proceeded to the driver’s side and tries to open the door but is delayed by a seat belt. William states “I have a conceal…” and the officer demands that he better tell the truth or else! This interruption causes William to “tell the truth” and his attempt to notify is interrupted. William exited the vehicle with his driver’s license in the same hand as his concealed handgun license. He held it up for the officer to see, and the officer said, “Why are you having that?” This gave William the opportunity to say, “I have a CCW, and…” The officer then said, “Do you have a gun?” William answered yes, causing the officer to grab it from William’s waist.

At this point, William was handcuffed and put into the police cruiser. The officer then started to berate William, stating: “I should blast you in the mouth right now … I’m close to caving in your head.” and “you’re just a stupid human being!”

The officer continued to berate the driver after arresting him and locking him in the back seat, offering such bon mots as “people like you don’t deserve to @#$%#$ move throughout public. Period!” Just after the discovery of the licensed firearm (and caught on tape), the same officer threatened to “put lumps” on a woman who had been outside of the car if he saw her in the area again. This seems to be an officer intent on delivering street justice more than law enforcement, and one with an anger management problem.

To be fair, even the concealed-carry community in Ohio acknowledges that they have a problem getting licensees to properly inform police during stops. Four years ago, Chad Baus wrote about the issue for the Buckeye Firearms Association, having heard about it from multiple law-enforcement sources. In Minnesota, it’s more of a practice than a requirement (there is no explicit legal language on the subject), but it’s a damned good idea. This past winter I was in a car accident outside of my house, and I made sure that the officer knew immediately of my status. He checked my license but otherwise treated it as no big deal — as it was in this instance. However, police officers are understandably sensitive about being aware of all firearms present at traffic stops, for very good reasons, most of which have to do with gravemarkers of their fellow officers who ended up getting surprised by them.  It’s not for nothing that Ohio included that requirement.

In this case, though, a fair viewing of the videotape shows that the driver did attempt to notify the officers on more than one occasion before stepping out of the car, and tried to do so when the officer approached his window several minutes into the stop.  He may not have done it very well, but it certainly doesn’t appear that the driver intended to keep the information from the police.  The officer told him repeatedly to keep his mouth shut while they checked out the other two people involved in the stop.  Threatening death and/or a beating to a man who tried repeatedly and finally succeeded in fulfilling his legal obligation to inform them is irrational and should be illegal.  The driver faces failure-to-inform charges, for which OhioCCW is raising funds, but the court and the city should be taking a look into the actions of this officer during the entire stop.

Addendum: My late friend Joel Rosenberg literally wrote the book on carry licensing in Minnesota, The Carry Book: Minnesota Edition.  Unfortunately Joel passed away before he could complete an edition that looked at the issue nationally, but even if you’re not in Minnesota, there is a ton of good advice for those who want to pursue carry licenses and handle firearms.  My particular favorite chapter of the book is titled, “Cowardice 201: A PhD Seminar in Advanced Staying Out of Trouble,” in which Joel reveals that the true secret of karate is to run faster than everyone else.  Self-defense starts with keeping out of situations where you will likely find yourself threatened.  Joel’s book is a sobering read, literally and figuratively.

Update: The website said Beachwood, but the videotape does say Canton.  Perhaps the driver was from Beachwood.  I’ve corrected the first paragraph to match the video.

Update II: The Canton Police Department has posted a statement today to its Facebook page:

I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer’s actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm

One e-mailer called the Canton PD and spoke to a lieutenant, whom the e-mailer described as “embarrassed” by the story and “truly remorseful.”  Some of the CPD’s commenters on the Facebook page object to the officer being essentially suspended with pay, but police get due process as well, and the union agreement with the city almost certainly has language governing that process.  It’s good to see that the Canton PD is taking this seriously.  Now, will the city drop the charges against the driver and restore his license status?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

Benaiah @ 10:38
You’re probably on to something with that ‘roid rage. When I was a kid the cops basically looked like us. Now they look like paramilitary troops, and far too many are sociopaths with an authority complex, and have little respect for the public.

teacherman on July 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Roid Rage

multiuseless on July 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I want to get a CCW, and it is possible now where I live.

Advice needed:

I have two candidates for carry, an HK USP Compact in 9mm and a Makarov in 9X18. Which would be the best choice? The HK is more powerful, but the Mak is slimmer. In our CCW permit system, you have to list the pistol you will be carrying, as well as qualify on it, so I have to decide soon.

pseudonominus on July 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Makarov is fine for what it is, BUT it is like you are asking should I drive a BMW or a Yugo.

Wiki says the Mak is not drop safe.

Can you get the safety off on the Mak under pressure??? (you could carry it DA safety off)

It can be hard to find defense ammo for the Mak, CCI Blazer has some Gold Dot JHPs.

H&K will have better sights, better trigger, more ammo, and better ammo selection, and I think 9mm ammo is a bit cheaper.

Weight and length are very close.

mad saint jack on July 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Before we try, convict, and execute the police, let’s give this some time to hear the cops’ side of the story.

What would make their behavior OK?

Crawford on July 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM

And what’s with “put lumps” on you ? Does this guy thinks he’s Robert Mitchum or something ?

teacherman on July 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Of course, I would not believe that an Ex-prostitute and an ex-cab driver were just talking on a dark alley, lol.

jeffn21 on July 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Is that the situation here? If so, I’m sure they weren’t, but legally, they should be able to.

Esthier on July 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The officer definitely lost his cool, and needs to be reprimanded and schooled. The officer I think is probably more mad at their procedure that left them wide open if the driver happened to be nefarious, lucky for them he wasn’t.

However, I have to agree with the officer in every other way. This driver is an idiot. Driving late at night, in a notorious neighborhood, mixed up with two other individuals he doesn’t know very well (he didn’t know the male at all)– showing he’s not a very good judge of character, and he’s probably carrying because he knows all these things.

Officers have to make assumptions based on the situation, and this dummy showed a severe lack of judgment. The two individuals he was with could have taken the gun from him as well, then what?

I hope many people see this video, because it shows that white people can get hammered by a cop too. If this driver were black, Al Sharpton, et al would be marching the next morning.

jeffersonschild on July 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

a capella on July 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM

One lesson from that sad case: If a cop tells you to unholster your weapon, DON’T DO IT!

Putting your hand on your weapon in the presence of an officer vastly increases the likelihood that you will become a statistic, accidentally or otherwise.

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

How come the cops caught on camera being a$$holes are so different than the ones you see on shows like “Cops”?

portlandon on July 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

jeffn21 on July 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Who cares what you “believe”???
No crime seems to have been committed. None.
Pathetic, I hope this cop loses his badge.

bridgetown on July 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM

The guys on tape threatening MURDER….

Has he killed before? If not, he will.

golfmann on July 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I can’t believe the one cop was searching, head down, while the driver was sitting in the car and the pyscho cop was grilling the hooker or whatever she was.

Talk about setting yourself up for a bad outcome…

Gang-of-One on July 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Perhaps if some police officers cannot control their tempers, maybe they shouldn’t be armed.

NMRN123 on July 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM

A counterpoint:

YAY!

Abby Adams on July 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Wow. You agree with the officer in “every other way”?

Crawford on July 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM

“I have a weapon and a CCW license”

Repeat until understood. Even if “ordered” to be quiet, the law overrules the officer on-scene, and you inform him until he acknowledges. Otherwise Billy-bob’s own overdeveloped sense of authority will get someone hurt.

The cop is a terrible example, and deserves punishment for his threats and uncivil behavior. His partner doesn’t appear to be as bad, or is just the less vocal, but they clearly are more in the wrong about this event.

William accepted his first failed attempt to inform, and said almost nothing for the next three minutes, including with an officer in his back seat right behind him. It’s weak.

Several commenters have responded to this in Ed’s post:

police officers are understandably sensitive about being aware of all firearms present at traffic stops, for very good reasons, most of which have to do with gravemarkers of their fellow officers who ended up getting surprised by them. It’s not for nothing that Ohio included that requirement.

But you are misreading Ed’s statement. He isn’t suggesting that those gravemarkers are from officers shot by CCW licensees, but by folks with undeclared weapons at the outset of the stop. So the state requires of CCW licensees that they inform at the outset, meant to put the officers’ mind at ease about the level of danger for the stop (this idiot cop’s case excluded). I have no problem with any of that.

Freelancer on July 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Clearly this “cop” has let the power of his badge go to his head. he is out of control and should be charged let alone fired IMO. The badge is not a free pass to abuse and threaten citizens.

Yakko77 on July 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Abby Adams on July 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I saw that video. Very professional officer, dealing with an armed citizen who was clearly pretty nervous but determined to stick to his gun(s).

Notice the guy refuses to touch the gun in the cop’s presence, and asks the cop to replace it in the holster. I’m guessing he was trained by people who understand the risks.

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Dude should lay off the “Juice”.

Alinsky on July 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Why not have special license plates available (optional) for CCW license holders? Besides letting cops know that the driver of the car may be carrying, car jackers will surely take a pass on vehicles with the CCW license plate.

WashJeff on July 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM

jackal40 on July 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Crusader Rabbit on July 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM

CCW as it is now protects everyone because an attacker must guess if their target has a gun.

Marking CCW holders would at best only protect them, and at worst would make them a target for theft or worse.

mad saint jack on July 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Yep. And the cop was spot – on in dealing with the guy.

VegasRick on July 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Looking at the cops build and observing his attitude leads me to believe his department needs to test for cause. My department just announced steroids will now be included in our random test policy. The problem is places like GNC will have products available for a short time that are basically steroids. Guys in my department started using a product called Tren. They were all getting big very fast, but started failing their annual health exams. Tren was soon pulled from the stores.

As for the actions of the police at the scene, my department would not allow us to talk to individuals like that without cause let alone threaten them after being placed in custody.

Howcome on July 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Except that raising your voice to make yourself understood could easily be taken the wrong way.

The police need to act professionally, and ideally the “must notify” law needs to go away.

Crawford on July 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Freelancer on July 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I don’t think I misread anything, and I stand by my comment at 10:47.

Professional officers assume anyone they stop may be armed, and act accordingly. This jackass screwed up from the get-go, and I don’t have time to list all the mistakes he made. Aside from being a threat to others, he put himself at great risk.

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM

portlandon on July 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Because there are no unhappy cops on Cops. They are all happy and love their jobs. They wouldnt be on Cops if all they did was complain about the civilians and their superior officers and their unions.

abcurtis on July 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM

The guy in the Canton video also did the right thing. He tried to notify, repeatedly. He never reached for his weapon, and did his best to keep his hands visible.

The difference is how the two officers behaved, and the Canton officer needs to be fired and, IMHO, face charges of assault and unlawful arrest.

Crawford on July 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM

mad saint jack on July 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Quite right. I have carried every single day for many years. As far as I know, I was the last civilian who was allowed by the county sheriff to carry in the county courthouse. Very, very few people ever knew I was armed.

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Crawford on July 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Agreed.

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM

When I got my Virginia CCW, i was told in class that when stopped by an officer, to inform him i have a CCW. I understood it was a matter of courtesy since when he ran my DL he’d find out anyway. So, when a county deputy stopped me for expired state tags, i gave him my DL and told him i had a CCW. He thanked me, ran my license and told me to get my tags fixed. End of story. I was courteous, and the deputy repaid me in kind. I believe the person being stopped is always in control of the situation. Do what you are asked and keep your big mouth shut.
If this cop transgressed, hopefully he’ll be taken to task.

abcurtis on July 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM

So does he kiss his mama with that mouth?

ncborn on July 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Abby Adams on July 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I like this cop. It’s encouraging to see stuff like this. I’m sure some cops get sick of being recorded, but this was good PR.

Esthier on July 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Let me express myself in a way the officer will understand:

F**king incompetent thugs like you are exactly the kind of idiots that get all cops painted as pigs. You’re a reckless, stupid, foolish goon with a gun, a badge, and an inability to control your dangerous f**king temper. You have absolutely no respect for the law you are supposed to enforce, nor the rights of the citizens that you are supposed to serve. You’re one sick motherf**ker to be describing your murder fantasies of innocent civilians on your own goddamned dashboard cam. My sincerest hope is that they pull your ass off the force faster than you can blink, and that you get sued to hell and back for your behavior. If that isn’t possible, I hope that you get a taste of what you want to do to others, just so you can get it through your diseased f**king head what a demented piece of s**t you are.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

There used to be no end of police apologists on this site. Very few today. What happened to them? Have they finally come to realize there are just too many a$$wipes in too many departments for them to justify sticking up for them anymore?
I’ve met good cops and bad cops over the years. Granted, the bad cops get the press, but why so many now? My own daughter was victimized by a POS cop who accused her of being on drugs (never was…ever) but didn’t test or arrest her. She made her get out of her car and walk home. Also searched the car illegally but my daughter didn’t know enough to object at the time. They get away with this abuse because people don’t know their rights. That’s our own fault.

SKYFOX on July 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

The officer shouldn’t have used all that profanity. I would get days off if I did that on tape. He didn’t beat anybody, however, and he didn’t violate anyone’s rights.

Look at all the circumstances here from the officer’s perspective. There’s no time stamp on the tape, but it appears to be late at night due to the lack of traffic and pedestrians. The neighborhood looks pretty tough. He rolls up on what appears to be a drug or prostitution deal in progress – the woman is outside the car, leaning in, talking to the occupants. This is suspicious activity, and the officer rightly investigates. He does all the procedural things he’s supposed to do. The driver with the CCW does not do what he is legally obligated to do – he does not immediately inform the officer that he’s CCW. He sits in silence for several minutes, even when the officer is searching the back seat right behind him (a very poor tactic, by the way). How hard would it have been to say, “Excuse me, officer, I need to tell you something?”

Again, I can’t condone all that profanity. It wasn’t necessary. This is what aggressive policing looks like, however, and it appears to be exactly what this neighborhood needs. Would you prefer the officer put on his blinders and just drive around, oblivious to the crime around him?

sgt_rich on July 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Since we are on the subject, I would like to ask the gathered multitudes their opinion on a critical matter:

Let’s say some is contemplating obtaining or has their very own carry permit.

The rules in most localities state that you need to notify when approached by a Law enforcement officer, but what really constitutes an ‘Approach’?

A traffic stop would clearly fall into this category, but what about walking past a LEO on the street or in a store?

Or in another instance, what if you know some people that are LEO’s and you are around them when they are off duty, would you need to inform them that you are carrying every time you see them?

Please, does anyone have any insight on this?

NMRN123 on July 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM

pseudonominus on July 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I turned you question into a blog post if you want to follow up.

mad saint jack on July 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM

However, I have to agree with the officer in every other way.

jeffersonschild on July 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Really?

This driver is an idiot.

When did being an idiot become a crime?

Again … where’s the crime in that? When did police become responsible for enforcing “good character”??

and he’s probably carrying because he knows all these things.

He’s out late at night – he has a gun … legally. Who cares? He broke no law.

No they don’t … they make assumptions based on FACTS. And the fact is – regardless of what the situation looked like – it’s always possible it’s just exactly as the guy arrested said – that he was giving someone a ride.

Hypothetical – it didn’t happen. But here’s one for you – the two others could have attacked the cops with their own weapon and the man behind the wheel might have saved the cops with his. Ludicrous? Oh sure – as most hypotheticals are. Let’s stick to what happened here instead of postulating what “could” have happened.

I don’t think you understand the Bill of Rights very well.

HondaV65 on July 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM

SKYFOX on July 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Err….I have been reading and visiting this site since it started and I never felt it the readership was overly protective of cops or “cop apologists” as you put it.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM

A counterpoint:

YAY!

Abby Adams on July 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

One in a million, unfortunately. That video should be shown in every police department as a guide to dealing with lawful open carriers.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM

sgt_rich on July 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

According to the video, he made multiple attempts to do so, and was told not to speak. The requirement is absolutely ludicrous due to how arbitrary it is, and it was probably written specifically to trip people up and allow cops to hassle carriers, much like the school zone laws in Wisconsin, even after the recent legislation.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

sgt_rich on July 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Did you watch that tape?

Do you know anything about police work?

That officer made mistake after mistake, starting at the beginning. The tape will doubtlessly be used for years to come by training officers as an example of what not to do.

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

It is an obvious outgrowth of the anti-gun craziness that portrays every armed person as dangerous to everyone in the neighborhood.

novaculus on July 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

MadCon, please, next time let us know exactly how you feel.

I don’t care what anyone says, you’re all right.

Gang-of-One on July 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM

This piece of sh!t cop should be nowhere near a badge and gun. This video evidence is proof he does not have the psychological makeup to be in law enforcement.

Tough guy with a buddy, badge and gun threatens to execute a citizen should be tossed off the force. There needs to be a national database to keep these a-holes from ever being cops again. Far too many simply go to other jurisdictions and get hired.

And the other cop who does nothing to shut this pr!ck up.

Lanceman on July 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM

WOW! That ‘Constitution’ thing is a real nuisance!
Imagine it being illegal to detain, question, search, harass, abuse and threaten private citizens!
No cause for the stop (unless being on the street is illegal), ZERO procedure followed, 100% abusive in questions and accusations.
Fired?
These two clowns (and yes the supporting actor is equally guilty) should be charged with the obvious crimes they commit here.
Contrary to cop-think, the law does NOT allow cops to ignore it.
Of course, (as shown here) other cops DO.

Cop #1 is a bully and clearly a coward. He is Skeert of a weapon NOT DRAWN. His FEAR includes fear of the law abiding.
A jury of 12 should provide him further reason for his fear.

HammerNH on July 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Once again in these videos, one armed party is calm, polite and collected. The other is shrieking like a lunatic and threatening people with violence. Funny how you always know which on is which before even viewing it.

CTD on July 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM

BTW – this will be used most often to show why the tape needs to be erased so the defendant cannot access it.

HammerNH on July 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM

What a stupid cop. Every time I have been stopped here in Florida, the first thing they ask me “Mr. Jones, do you have any weapons or contraband in the vehicle?”

How freaking hard is that?

Lanceman on July 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Canton PD says cop relieved of duty and under investigation and that they are embarrassed by the video, which they should be.

Laddy on July 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I’m sure that’s true…from your perspective.

SKYFOX on July 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Oh bullshit he didn’t say anything . . . the words “I have a carry” sound like notification to me.

Does that jackwad like channeling Gunnery Sergeant Hartman?

Ryan Anthony on July 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

He did. Repeatedly.

Officer Friendly told him to shut up in reply.

Crawford on July 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

**********************************

This is why asked those questions – you often see Police officers in causal encounters or you know some in their off-duty milieu.

Do you have to inform these folks you are carrying?

NMRN123 on July 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Laddy on July 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Standard response – but they protect their own – he’ll be back on the force, most likely with backpay – if they even pull his pay for the suspension.

He won’t do a day in jail – which is where he should be going for threatening to execute a citizen who had done nothing wrong.

That’s the way they roll … they “investigate” until the PR nightmare is over – and then you’ll see this guy quietly appear on the police force again.

You can’t tell me this is the FIRST time this cop has behaved in this manner.

You can’t tell me that NONE of his supervisors ever reveiwed his video from previous stops.

This is CONDONED by the police – who now view themselves as overlords and view us as serfs.

HondaV65 on July 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM

HondaV65 on July 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM

The upside of this is that hopefully LOTS more people in Canton will be whipping out their cell phones to record when they see police encounters happening.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM

YAY!

Abby Adams on July 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Bravo. Well done, officer.

Jaibones on July 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

The cop screwed up by ignoring the driver for so long, then refusing to listen when the driver repeatedly attempted to tell him about the gun, and he knows it. He’s angry at his own stupid mistakes, but decides to take it out on his victim, with a lot of drama thrown in to try to save face–he knows his failure is all on camera. I’d say he at least deserves a little down time to think about where he’s directing his energies. And maybe some lessons on professionalism.

Blacklake on July 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I’m sure that’s true…from your perspective.

SKYFOX on July 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Nonsense. There have been several relatively notorious threads on HotAir dealing with police conduct (shootings, allegations of misconduct and brutality) and if anything I felt HA commenters leaned hard toward libertarian and against police aggression.

Jaibones on July 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM

CTD on July 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM

**********************************************
This raises an important question: Which one of them should have a deadly weapon at his side?

NMRN123 on July 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM

FYI, Canton PD’s facebook page says the officer is on paid sick leave while the department conducts its investigation of this incident.

SD on July 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Blacklake on July 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

And throw in a state-of-the-art blood or urine test for steroids. He’s out of control.

Jaibones on July 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM

SD on July 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Your public unions at work!

VegasRick on July 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Jaibones on July 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM

On the contrary. Often, if the citizen wasn’t completely in the right, there would be a pile-on from plenty of commenters. Lots of pro-police authority lovers talking about how bad cops have it and how if they have to take their aggression out on “this idiot, so be it”.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM

As for the light colors…usually certain ranks of officer can be denoted by the color of their shirts…For example, white would be worn by Lieutenants and above, and dark blue/black by Sergeant and lower.

JetBoy on July 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I know and I DON’T CARE for the para-militarization brought on by the War on Drugs. They work for us and I’d just as soon make them all wear shirt, tie and slacks, regardless of rank & position. If mormon missionaries can ride bikes while suited up, so can the bike cops. The robo/commando cops only come out when they have a real situation.

Make the PD liable for any no-knocks that turn out to be erronous. The opeative ROE for any contacts with citizens is innocent until proven guilty. I rather 10 crooks get away scot-free than one innocent be injured in any way.

While I’m all for tort reform, I’m open to easing the ability of we-the-people to sue govt officials for injury/damages to the innocent.

AH_C on July 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM

sgt_rich on July 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Even if what you claim is true, you think that justifies the officer’s actions?

Monkeytoe on July 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I’m not sure that’s accurate. I think it cuts both ways – lots of anti-police people won’t give the police an iota of the benefit of teh doubt or consider that the citizen in question could have handled the situation better and not provoked a response. And please don’t read this as saying I condone all police actions or this one in particular, I don’t, I just see over-reaction coming from both sides when it comes to police.

Monkeytoe on July 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I got pulled over for speeding one day as I was late getting my kids to piano lessons. While the officer was at my window, I pulled out my NH Pistol License to show him and informed him I was carrying and that I knew I wasn’t required by state law to notify him of that.

His response was pretty much, “Oh, I don’t care about that. Hell, I took one look at the stickers on the back of your truck and assumed you had guns in there.”

Then he told me he liked my stickers and gave me a warning.

Live free or die, baby!

Bruce MacMahon on July 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM

A little late, but I laughed.

Abby Adams on July 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Police are underpaid and face the dregs of society every day.

jimw on July 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Jimw-not aimed at you, rather at that tired refrain.

I’m tired of hearing “underpaid” from any unionized outfit. They’re underpaid only in their minds, just like Obie thinks we’re undertaxed. Screw them all. If you don’t like the pay, get out.

AH_C on July 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM

jeffersonschild on July 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

What “procedure” are you referring to? The one where you are to ignore a driver in order to harass the passengers while your partner rifles around in the back seat (illegally)?

Is that what they teach Canton Police nowadays?

Tomblvd on July 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

This dude’s rage is from fear. Plain and simple. He was afraid and he reacted in the only way he knew how.

That is a very dangerous cop to have on the streets. I’m surprised we haven’t heard of this officer shooting or beating someone in the past.

ButterflyDragon on July 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

pseudonominus on July 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Where is this Pseudo? To list the pistol is bogus!

bernzright777 on July 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM

What? When? I heard no such thing.

SlimyBill on July 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

So why exactly was the cop so angry? This whole thing sounds like a one sided attempt to make cops look bad. I’m guessing the car was speeding away from an armed robbery and someone is trying to make it into an outrageous civil rights violation.

pedestrian on July 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM

IMO

Being a cop is a messed up job.
The many of people that would want to become a cop are sick ass power hungry dorks with issues about their manhood.(iykwimaityd)

If any of you ladies want to marry a cop, you’ll want to stock up on base to cover up the black eyes in your future.

I have had to help cops make arrests twice because they were not capable.

esnap on July 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM

HondaV65

Exactly! This attitude won’t change until the monetary judgements are high enough to bleed the cities and PDs white.

deadman on July 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM

From

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
(B)(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(2) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly fail to keep the person’s hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

Seems to me that trying three different times to notify and being told to “Shut UP” should have met the requirement to notify. Granted, the notification attempts are weak.

Does police procedure allow the the search of a vehicle with someone inside? I wouldn’t think so.

jackal40 on July 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM

SlimyBill on July 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Try about 6:55 in when the cop comes up to the car and the drive says..I have a…and he is told to get out of the car and then the cop decides that he is lying.

flytier on July 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

AH_C on July 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM

*****************************************************
You’re in good company:

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.”

Thomas Jefferson

NMRN123 on July 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

How long has officer Roid-Rage been juicing? This cement head needs a blood test ASAP (I’ll bet ANYONE $50.00 that he’s just brimming with anabolics and HGH….and for cryin’ out loud, take his weapons away.

How can fellow officers not spot an angry immature douche-bag? Why do good cops put up with behavior from a minority of their peers that makes them all look like authoritarian thugs?

Just do your job a-hole…..no one wants your roid-fueled commentary.

Note to self – stay well clear of Beachwood / Canton.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM

In that situation I too would be very quick to inform the officer of my carry permit and sidearm. I would however neglect to mention the sawed-off shotgun dangling inside my trench coat.

Bishop on July 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM

It’s good that so many police departments understand the value of citizens armed with video cameras. /sarc

This cop is not so unique. How is it he was out in the field on this day? Were all the other cops in that department sleeping or just not caught on camera yet?

dogsoldier on July 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM

pseudonominus on July 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

HK.

a capella on July 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Absolutely.

However……………….

Solaratov on July 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM

So….criminal cop killers are usually licensed to carry the weapons they use to kill police officers? Sorry, I just don’t get squishy logic.

peacenprosperity on July 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM

…when the government fears the people and all that.

You shouldn’t have to tell those pricks anything.

vermin on July 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM

He should first be tested for the steroids that have destroyed his brain and then he should never be allowed to handle a weapon again.

peacenprosperity on July 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I get pulled over, I simply place my ccw permit in the same hand as my driver licence and keep my right hand in plain view. Thats all ya need to do (in most cases).

bernzright777 on July 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM

whoa. This police officer is probably going to need to look for a new line of work. I’m sure that some union needs a kneecapper. Badd news.

ted c on July 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

The solution is simple. Fire that police officer.

The officer was too stupid to see the CCR permit in his hand even though he asked what was in the man’s hand.

Or he was purposely ignoring this man’s attempt to explain himself.

Either way, this officer deserves to be fired.

Conservative Samizdat on July 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

SlimyBill on July 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

flytier on July 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I hear it.

But OHIO CCW claim the driver had tried earlier. I don’t hear that.

And the driver, if I understand it all, ADMITS to not informing the police. (I wonder it that’s admissible given that he hadn’t been Mirandized)

Not excusing the cops, but the text excerpted from OHIO CCW says he did inform them and i see or hear no such thing.

SlimyBill on July 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I used to have a gut, ingrained, government-school ingrained automatic reaction to defend the police and accuse the victims, but not any more.

There is no need to be fair to the officers in this case. There is no need for a process either, aside from a supervisor reviewing the tape, firing the officer and filing criminal charges. Then, the due process can start.

The officers were wrong at every step. They should be fired, at least. It’s ridiculous.

j_galt on July 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM

…when the government fears the people and all that.

You shouldn’t have to tell them anything.

vermin on July 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

A counterpoint:

YAY!

Abby Adams on July 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Very professional. Send this guy on the lecture circuit training cops how to be professional.

Blacklake on July 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

That was my sense from watching his body language that “O1″ knew he made initial mistakes that kept compounding to the point that as soon as he left the left rear of the car to harass the two pax, both he and his partner could have been killed.

As for getting off – that would be up to the citzens of that town pressuring the mayor/city council.

AH_C on July 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

The solution is simple. Fire that police officer.

Or he was purposely ignoring this man’s attempt to explain himself.

Either way, this officer deserves to be fired.

Conservative Samizdat on July 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Not to mention he let an armed man sit there for FIVE MINUTES while another officer crawled around the back of the car. Frankly, if I were that other officer, I shoot Clouseau before anybody else.

Geez, what was he thinking!?

Tomblvd on July 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Bishop on July 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Heh!

bernzright777 on July 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Watch for this cop to get a position with the state troopers, county sherriffs office, or God forbid…FBI!

I do feel for cops, and can understand the on the edge feeling….but as was said. There is a level of professionalism expected, and this man obviously has a hard time with that. He needs to seek help for it.

capejasmine on July 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM

This two-bit cop should be charged with assault and fired. The driver should file a civil suit for that assault.

Agree with posters, drugs likely involved here, steroids or something else.

slickwillie2001 on July 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I may have missed this:

Video: Canton officer under investigation after concealed carry arrest

CANTON – Canton police are investigating an officer for his conduct during a traffic stop in June involving a concealed carry permit holder.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry posted video of the incident online Wednesday.

“I think it’s important for citizens to understand that the behavior demonstrated on the video is wholly unacceptable, and it violates many of our rules, our regulations and standards we demand of our officers,” Chief Dean McKimm said Thursday.

The officer on the video, Daniel Harless, was placed on administrative leave in June and has been on sick leave since Monday, McKimm said.

Tomblvd on July 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Thank’s for posting this ED!

Chuck on July 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM

So the cop enters the back of the car with the driver (and presumably the keys) still in the drivers seat. And he calls the driver stupid?

ctmom on July 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I sense the number of CCW permits is going to necessarily skyrocket.

ted c on July 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM