Pawlenty: Talk of migraines mostly a sideshow

posted at 9:25 am on July 21, 2011 by Tina Korbe

T-Paw can’t seem to stop talking about Michele Bachmann. But whereas his previous criticisms were direct and to the point, he only implied inadequacy yesterday — then later clarified that he hadn’t intended to be critical of Bachmann personally at all.

Republican presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty walked back earlier criticism of rival Michele Bachmann’s migraines on Wednesday, calling the attention over her headaches “a sideshow.”

“I think it’s mostly a sideshow,” Pawlenty said on Fox News. “I’ve observed Congresswoman Bachmann. I’ve never seen her have a medical condition or impairment that would seem to be a concern.”

Earlier in the day the former Minnesota governor said “candidates are going to have to be able to demonstrate they can do all of the job, all of the time.”

Truthfully, I’m with Pawlenty on this — all of this. His original observation is patently obvious — but, like so many obvious points, too often goes unsaid. If nothing else, the headache over Bachmann’s headaches has hopefully reminded the electorate of just how demanding the position of president actually is … and of just how fit — mentally and physically — a candidate needs to be to cope with what’s to come. That’s not commentary on any particular candidate (least of all Bachmann, who, through all of this, has proved herself resolute and irrepressible), just a fact.

Pawlenty’s second observation is equally spot-on. Time to stop talking about Bachmann’s health and get back to the issues (as Bachmann has also requested to do).

But in light of his past comments, whatever Pawlenty said about Bachmann in connection to this would have been interpreted as critical. In reality, Pawlenty’s response was no different than the responses of other GOP presidential potentials. He acknowledged health to be a factor in the race — but said he saw no reason why Bachmann should be perceived as any less physically able to assume the presidency. That’s what Rep. Ron Paul, among others, said almost to a T. “What a president is capable of doing” should be a factor, Paul said, but Bachmann’s headaches shouldn’t be the deciding factor of her campaign.

Comments

T-Paw gives me a migraine.

MrScribbler on July 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM

T-Paw plants the bomb,
Then slowly he backs away…
“Bomb? What bomb?” he says.

Haiku Guy on July 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Tucker Carlson is a sideshow.

mankai on July 21, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Including answering that thar phone at 3AM, right T-Paw?!!!

pilamaye on July 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM

T Yawn

blatantblue on July 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM

He should just give it up and throw his support behind her.

OmahaConservative on July 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

T-Paw can’t seem to stop talking about Michele Bachmann.

I agree, it’s strange. Pawlenty could so easily have targeted many another urgent issue but instead, he’s wandered off into a useless personality-issues fight. It’s disappointing about Pawlenty.

Lourdes on July 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

He’s got to get it while he can.

RDE2010 on July 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Well, yes, Pawlenty has many a great ability to govern well and reasonably but his personality-issues thing as to Bachmann is strange. Perhaps this is the difference between academic abilities and social personality.

I’d have preferred Pawlenty direct all this criticism at Barack Obama and Harry Reid and Wasserman-Schultz and the rest of the Left.

Lourdes on July 21, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I’ve slowly come to the conclusion that you can’t trust anyone who’s able to win STATEWIDE in Minnesota. Conservative Bachmann has absolutely no chance to win here statewide, Pawlenty and Franken can. That’s why Bachmann would be a better President than Pawlenty.

RBMN on July 21, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I have occasional migraines, the sort which end up requiring me to lay flat on the floor in a cool, dark room for a couple of hours before they subside. I have learned the warning signs and the likely triggers, so I have been able to prevent/mitigate them in the last few years, but now and then they still sneak up on me. In spite of that, I haven’t missed a day of work for a sick day in over eight years. My current position of four years has seen me take one “sick day” for car trouble.

Not worried about Bachmann over her headaches. She has more substantive weaknesses, but she is fit to run and fit to govern.

Freelancer on July 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Bachman is really beautiful. I thought Palin was attractive, but “wow”. I got used to conservative woman being attractive and taking pride in how they look, but she is a cut above.

Will I vote for her because of that, nah. Just sayin’

Hening on July 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM

It all depends on who’s supporting whom, really. Bachmann’s health shouldn’t really be an issue. Her general election viability is definitely an issue, considering the cavalcade of minor gaffes has the propensity to erode her support.

KingGold on July 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Why, was she in the same room as he at the time?

DrAllecon on July 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM

BTW – the weekly usual unexpected thing happened again this morning. 418,000

tomg51 on July 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM

KingGold on July 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM

All too true. Damn shame, considering she seems like an all right gal…

gryphon202 on July 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM

KingGold on July 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Because T-Paw, the living, breathing, nonentity, says so?

What human doesn’t commit “gaffes?” No one I know, and certainly no politician worth thinking about. T-Paw demonstrates that almost daily, yet HA continues to shill for him.

In any case, the “headache” issue pales in comparison to Osama Obama’s health issues (especially his mental health), and no one seems to have the guts to call him out.

MrScribbler on July 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM

T-Paw just gave a more in depth look at his character and “leadership”; though not the outcome he probably intended.

He was critical – called out her ability to function, pointedly, then backed off like a coward to claim it wasnt his “intention”

And this clown is getting props…

Odie1941 on July 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Pawlenty: Talk of migraines mostly a sideshow

Fixed it.

steebo77 on July 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I think TPaw’s liberal positions on the AGW Hoax, and Cap and Trade should not be an issue in this campaign.

Tina, honey, you are naive.

faraway on July 21, 2011 at 10:13 AM

All this talk about Bachmann’s migraines has one positive: we know she has a brain… and she has the scan to prove it! Seriously folks, I had the debilitating kind of migraines. Before I learned how to control them, and before there was actual medicine for them, I could lose entire days to a migraine. If Bachmann says she manages them, she manages them. No way she could hide it if she wasn’t. That being noted, I hope she has figured into migraine management the intense stress she will encounter if she gets to the Oval Office.

T-paw’s frenemy act here lost him some points with me (He didn’t have many to begin with)

itsacookbook on July 21, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Then you weren’t paying attention Tina. I’m no fan of Mitt Romney, but he didn’t anything close to what Timmy said.

If Timmy said something and then had to walk it back later, then he needs to keep his mouth shut or find some better advisers.

Knucklehead on July 21, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I’m not a major Bachmann fan, but the migraine story is stupid.

Pawlenty is too reactive and comes off as weird and wussy. His political instincts, as cliched a concept as that is, seem very poor.

Missy on July 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Pawlenty: Talk of migraines mostly a sideshow

FIFY.

Emperor Norton on July 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Here’s all Bachmann needs to say, “I’ll spend less time with migraines than the president spends on the golf course.”

Knott Buyinit on July 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Yet another passive-aggressive move by Pawlenty. Honestly, I don’t think I could vote for him at this point. Certainly not in the primary.

There sure is a lot of spin on this non-story story from the folks putting it out there.

Y-not on July 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Here’s what Romney said about her migraines:

“There’s no question in my mind that Michele Bachmann’s health is in no way an impediment to her being able to serve as president,” the former Massachusetts governor said.

Here’s Pawlenty’s initial response to the same issue:

Tim Pawlenty became the first candidate to address the highly sensitive issue of rival Michele Bachmann’s chronic migraines, saying on Wednesday that potential presidents need to work “all of the time.”

“All of the candidates I think are going to have to be able to demonstrate they can do all of the job all of the time,” he told reporters, per Politico. “There’s no real time off in that job.”

Y-not on July 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Y-not on July 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Thanks for finding that Romney quote for me. I was feeling to lazy this morning and obviously Tina was too when she wrote this.

Knucklehead on July 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM

steebo77 on July 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Emperor Norton on July 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM

(Note to self: Always read the entire thread before posting a comment.)

Emperor Norton on July 21, 2011 at 1:07 PM

GOP insiders like Andrea Tantaros on The Five are openly naming the Pawlenty campaign as the anonymous sources behind The Daily Caller’s hit piece. Then T Paw made it worse by reiterating the report’s implications publicly. His image as a nice guy, one of his few political strengths, is as dead as his presidential prospects.

Terrie on July 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM

They’re trying the “Doctor Who” method of politicial assassination.

7:34 – 8:07 ending with his saying the “6 words that could bring down Harriet Jones’ government” to her aide…

“Don’t you think she looks tired”?

Episode titled “The Christmas Invasion” 2005 holiday special. All I could think of with the whole “migraines” idiocy.

gekkobear on July 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Knott Buyinit on July 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Good; or expensive taxpayer-funded dates, or lavish 40-plane vacations, or meetings with greedy union goons, etc.

slickwillie2001 on July 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Ok for JFK, Grant and Jefferson

Schadenfreude on July 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM

BTW, did Pawlenty release his medical records?

Also, how many votes did he miss when he was in the MN state legislature? (I looked but couldn’t find it.)

Y-not on July 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Lourdes: I agree, it’s strange. Pawlenty could so easily have targeted many another urgent issue but instead, he’s wandered off into a useless personality-issues fight.”

Could he? I like the guy, but Americans are ignoring him. He has raised issues of substance and they’ve gone nowhere. I’m afraid he’s started to chase the discussion, talking about who or whatever other people are talking about.

David Blue on July 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM