Texas: We won’t be able to “keep the lights on”

posted at 4:45 pm on July 20, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

We’ve done more than enough coverage of the new EPA cross-state emission rules set to take effect in January which aims to limit greenhouse gas production. Unfortunately, its sponsors didn’t seem to take into account the effect this would have on major energy producers in other states. One of the ones most likely to be hit hard is Texas, and they’ve taken notice. The non-partisan Electric Reliability Council of Texas has put out what amounts to a distress signal. (Emphasis mine.)

This is one of those cases where we believe it is our role to voice our concern that Texas could face a shortage of generation necessary to keep the lights on in Texas within a few years, if the EPA’s Cross-State Rule is implemented as written.

ERCOT’s May11 report to the Public Utility Commission on the impact of the proposed environmental regulations did not address the impact of SO2 restrictions on coal plants in ERCOT because these restrictions on Texas were not included as part of the EPA’s earlier rule proposal.

The group words their letter in the politest way possible, but the underlying message is clear. When these rules go into effect, a significant number of coal plants are either going to shut down – long term or permanently – and/or have to raise their utility rates dramatically to pay for these renovations which were sprung on them with virtually no notice. Other options include importing more electricity from out of state, but that again drives up costs and puts additional strain on the delivery infrastructure.

If this plan was to be adopted at all (and that’s a big “if”) the states needed a lot more time to study the long term effects and comment on it. That wasn’t done here. It was rushed through and now it looks like Texas homeowners need to be ready to foot the bill for this in a big way this winter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Darwin if you read the points on the EPA’s reasoning it’s the fact that coal plants pollution trail can stretch 900 miles. Look I have no problem with Nuclear power plants, and I know that coal is cheap, but it’s horribly dirty. In fact they produce more radioactive pollution than nuke plants.
My only gripe with the people here is that they seem to think that as long as they are willing to deal with pollution than that’s all that matters. But just like second hand smoke personal choices can affect more than just the smoker.

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

OT:..What happened to the Hot Air July survey?..Capt Ed said it was being promoted but the links broke!?!..:)

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM

He’s waiting for csdeven to get off work … or whatever it does when it’s not calling everyone obsessive.

darwin on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

We just use lights, and a/c and our bill was over $300. We can’t afford that…so anything more is going to drive us to the poor house, which wont’ have a/c.

It won’t just be that though. If stores have to pay more, watch for food and gas prices to rise even further. Not to mention other things you need. Like t/p. Soap. Shampoo etc…

It’s going to get really, really bad. And while the country goes without, watch for Barack and Michelle to take more and more vacations, and have more parties.

capejasmine on July 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM

It makes me sick to go to the grocery store now. And gas prices…grrr….. Went to San Antonio this weekend .. my little car gets great mileage. But it ticked me off to think that it should have cost about a third of what it did!

Hold on tight I’m afraid it’s going to be a rough ride!

maables on July 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

darwin on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Capt Ed maybe waiting till tonight to put it on the main page..:)

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Can or do? Routinely? Was this “modeled” like global warming?

If any of Texas’ neighbors have a problem they’re free to address it to Texas. We don’t need Marxist bureaucrats telling states and private companies what to do.

darwin on July 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

You missed the part of the situation/story that said the pollution in question is NOT coming from Texas, apparently.

Midas on July 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

And frankly, I don’t give a damn what the pollution “can” do – the fact is that Texas *isn’t* causing it, so…

GET STUFFED.

Midas on July 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Yor gas furnace, gas dryer and gas water heater won’t work without electricity. You think the motors and control circuits run on gas?

Tc0061 on July 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Well, he said our electricity bills would “necessarily skyrocket” and he wasn’t lying (for once).

My electric bill went from $325 a month to $450 a month.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Nice way for OBama’s terrorist at the EPA to stick to to Rick Perry.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I’m thinking of a word. Rhymes with “succeed”.

Mike Honcho on July 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Your rationale is flawed.

The choices that we face:

1. Pay the electric bill
or
2. Buy food

Many families will have to choose what they can afford.

Barack Obama: The ALPO presentdunce.

/Shut up and “Eat your ALPO” you filthy Americans!

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

As we Texans said before to an over-reaching over-taxing government:

COME AND TAKE IT!

JarvisW on July 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

This is the goal, of course. The deconstruction of America.

pat on July 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Simple answer… On the electric bill put a box to be checked by those who support restricting electric generation due to concerns about pollution. Leave it vague (you know only the wacky eco-nutz will check the box). Change the question every month… i.e. ‘Do you support Al Gore style environmental policies?’ one month (Would you support green electricity even if it cost more?) the next (still vague, no specifics…).
Let the box appear for a year… At the end of the year… every on who checked the box gets a notice that they will be paying the increased rate brought on by the new restrictions, but that those who didn’t check the box get a pass.
Let those rates run for a couple years… Then offer the questions again… Watch the shift in attitude.

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM

They set it to move at a certain time. Usually about the time of the time stamp on the post that says it is being moved.

Relax and listen to Communique.

cozmo on July 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Funny, but it won’t work. Texas electricity is deregulated. Folks would just move to another provider.

cozmo on July 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

You should hold you breath when ever you ride an elevator… In fact never get on one in the first place… You might smell bad er something.

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM

If Gov. Perry has been waiting for a sign, I think he just got it!!

bluefox on July 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

cozmo on July 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Actually… I was thinking nation wide. One last tax… The Stupid Eco-Nutz Tax…/hee

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

DOTUS!

Any doubters after 2 1/2 years?

PappyD61 on July 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Glozelle Green predicts the future in 2008

Eric Holder’s People won’t have to pay any more bills and they’re all going to have houses. Caution: “N” word.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM

BTW, Glozelle Green is a You Tube actress; she does a LOT of parodies.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Never fear! Barry’s got a plan to run the whole grid on rainbow-colored unicorn farts.

GarandFan on July 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Yup… Barry lied to everybody except his Marxist base… They know what he’s really up to.

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Well, for the record.

I’m walking away from my home. It is no longer worth the struggle between rising electric and water bills and it is no longer worth the $100k investment that I placed into this abode.

BOA can have it. Let Eric Holder’s people enjoy it. When I found out that my mortgage was owned by Fannie Mae, I decided to leave. I lived in Government housing as a child. I will not live there as an adult.

/Advice to those who will walk away like I will: Put a Dwelling policy on your home. Pay the property tax. Mow the lawn. Walk away.

Obama’s people will own our homes now.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry to hear this. I do hope you and family will deal and get a better(not with bho) life. My heart aches for you.
L

letget on July 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

My deepest sympathies, friend. You’re making one of the hardest choices a human being can be asked to make. I am so very sorry that the Obamanation has made your $100k wasted money and driven you from hearth and home.

I’m not sure if I could really truly walk away…I might do so officially but sneak back in to ‘visit’ at least one day a week.

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Does anyone know how much electricity Texas exports to other states? Why would Texas be the ones to not keep their lights on? Just double the rates to export because of the extra costs associated with their environmental concerns.

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

It’s not that big a deal anymore. I’ll live in a tent in a campground (not really) but the simple life is becoming more attractive to me. Let Obama peeps take it. That’s his plan. They can have it. For free.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katfish on July 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Focus on the Smart Grids.

Those are the “grids” that decide what type of energy you need, and when you need to use it.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Key – just stay living in it and stop payments, there are people that have been living in homes for more than 2 years without making payments because the banks don’t want the foreclosure on their books right now. They show up on their books as 3 months delinquent but never seem to go into foreclosure. You might get lucky. (I’m not suggesting that for those that can make payments by the way)

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Focus on the Smart Grids.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Texas makes about 25 percent more than it uses(under normal conditions) and is also separately regulated than the rest of the country(see ERCOT) but can export/import as needed. I just wasn’t sure what the actual export numbers were.

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Thank you for your suggestion.

In good conscience, I cannot and will not stay. We will vacate the premises and put in place a Dweller policy which is insurance to protect the general public against any peril.

We will also make property tax payments to the local authorities.

We will also continue to do the upkeep of the property so that we can keep the neighbors in mind as it pertains to “foreclosures”.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Eric Holder’s “people” can take my home.

It’s justified, sanctified and annointed by the Rerren Jeremiah Wright.

Take it.

I’ll survive; I ain’t scared, I don’t care. Take it.

/Thinking that the Banks might side with the Home-Moaners but who cares.

Take it, BOA.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Ugh, sorry folks.

I’m just tired of the boilerplate Dem talking points. I also want to know if there is even a reason to try to save my home.

If obama/holder people want it? If they declare my property as owned by Eric Holder’s people by way of Fannie/Freddie,

Where are my defenses?

I guess I stand alone.

Key West Reader on July 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Texas has very limited capacity to/from other states. BUT, BUT, if coal is untenable, we can just keep all that natural gas going to the NIMBY folks in Cali and use it here. That’s about 4 bcf/d. PLENTY for us.

gitarfan on July 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

At best second hand smoke issues are weakly correlated. I grew up in the worst air quality environment in the nation with two parents that smoked. Neither myself nor any of my 3 siblings have even an inkling of health problems that could even be indirectly linked to second hand smoke. I have been a runner all my life including during high school in that hazardous air quality. You need to do better than fear monger second hand smoke.

chemman on July 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Corsair on July 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

My guess is that they have binding contracts to deliver electricity to other regions. There is a coal fired plant in my area (NE Arizona) that supplies Southern California with electricity.

chemman on July 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM

When the blackouts come in the summer of 2012, I hope the media puts the blame on the Obama administration instead of on the power companies.– HA HA HA HA like that would happen. — I kinda enjoy making myself laugh in between the tears of rage.

Hot utility users who have no AC in 100 degree weather will be looking for someone to vote against. Must be Bush’s fault./s

KW64 on July 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Time for power producers to go on strike.

HakerA on July 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Perry should do what Bush did as Governor when the EPA jacked up emission standards to the point a new car rolled off the trailer couldn’t pass the emissions tes. Bush told the EPA to go pound sand. The EPA threatened to withold billions of Federal Dollars from Texas. Bush told the EPA that he’d just withold the State dollars that went to the Federal Government before they could withold it from Texas.

Guess who blinked.

44Magnum on July 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Why don’t Texans just pray?

That’s how Perry wants to fight the drought.

Dave Rywall on July 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Great post, Jazz, except this part:

You might want to change it to summer. That’s when our electric usage is usually highest from running the AC.

bitsy on July 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Agreed. My winter electric bill is about $9. My summer electric bill has been close to $100… and that’s for a little one-bedroom apartment.

Of course, I live a couple miles from Mexico. If you’re in Dalhart or Tyler, your winters aren’t like mine.

CPL 310 on July 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Why don’t Texans just pray?

That’s how Perry wants to fight the drought.

Dave Rywall on July 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM

I live in West Texas
You got any better ideas, Sherlock?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I live in West Texas
You got any better ideas, Sherlock?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Not to mention for the next four days after he did that, it rained in DFW.. Even said so on local news this week.

But I’m no expert like Drywall..

JarvisW on July 21, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

People like Zeke are so devoid of knowledge it absolutely astounds me. No one in the USA under 40 has ever seen pollution at the levels that motivated all these laws. Has this nitwit ever visited Mexico City or some other large foreign city to understand what smog is? Even bad days in LA today aren’t anything like it was most summer days in ’66.

This whole pollution scam is no more real than AGW. All politics and piracy. People like Zeke do immense damage by evangelizing for these liars.

Hey Zeke the next time I drive across west Texas you can follow along and point out any pollution you see out there in the big empty! What a maroon!

rcl on July 21, 2011 at 5:40 AM

rcl on July 21, 2011 at 5:40 AM

They think they see pollution all the time.

that white cloud from the stack?
yes, that!
yes…..that’s steam.
what’s in it!?
uh, water vapor, at saturation – that’s why you can see it
butttttt…

tomg51 on July 21, 2011 at 7:38 AM

I think the EPA is writing Perry’s campaign commercials for him. Texas has a number of options to deal with this foolishness and almost any one of them will allow Perry to use the tendency of the people of Texas to rally to a common cause. Obama (PBUH) will wonder why all those stupid Texans didn’t just surrender like other are doing. (PBUH = Pee Be Upon Him)

MikeA on July 21, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Zekecorlain on July 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Second hand smoke is a strawman, considering the fact that (although they have commissioner hundreds) not ONE study shows a correlation of cancer increase to second hand smoke. Here’s a hint: it’s the particulates in tobacco smoke that are shown to have a relation to cancer cell production – NOT the smoke.

PJ Emeritus on July 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Why don’t Texans just pray?

That’s how Perry wants to fight the drought.

Dave Rywall on July 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM

We do. Regularly. Haven’t you been paying attention? Texas leads the nation in just about every metric of prosperity.

Must be a reason for that huh?

44Magnum on July 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Oh yes they did and it is achieving exactly the goal they wanted.

JeffinSac on July 21, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I hope the people can force cut, cap and balance down the ruling class’ throat, for a change.

FloatingRock on July 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM