Bachmann: Yes, I experience migraines, but so do 30 million other Americans

posted at 5:30 pm on July 19, 2011 by Tina Korbe

GOP presidential hopeful and Minnesota Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann today released the following statement to respond to reports that she experiences “incapacitating” migraines:

Like nearly 30 million other Americans, I experience migraines that are easily controlled with medication. I am a wife, a mother, a lawyer who worked her way through law school, a former state senator who achieved the repeal of a harmful piece of education policy in Minnesota, and a congresswoman who has worked tirelessly fighting against the expansion of government and wasteful spending.

“Since entering the campaign, I have maintained a full schedule between my duties as a congresswoman and as a presidential candidate traveling across the nation to meet with voters in the key, early primary and caucus states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. I have prescription medication that I take whenever symptoms arise and they keep the migraines under control. Let me be abundantly clear – my ability to function effectively has never been impeded by migraines and will not affect my ability to serve as Commander in Chief.

“The many questions I have received on this subject have allowed me to discuss this important condition that impacts individuals in nearly one in four households. However, as a presidential candidate and office holder, I am focused on performing my job, which has never been more important given the state of our economy and the millions of Americans that are out of work. While I appreciate the concern for me and my health, the greater concern should be the debate that is occurring in Washington over whether or not we will increase our debt, spending and taxes.

Perhaps the headaches aren’t as horrible as they’ve been rumored to be, but, if she experiences even just the garden variety migraine, I admire her grit. But, at the same time, I’ve thought for a while — both with respect to Bachmann and with respect to other especially active politicians — that something has to give in their busy schedules. Bachmann might not mind if that “something” is her health, but she should. It might be basic and banal to repeat it, but health is essential to effectiveness in any arena.

All this time, I’ve been trying to figure out which GOP candidate would be best for president, but I’ve never stopped to consider what effect the presidency would have on them. Of course, that’s really a job for the candidates themselves and their friends and families. Gotta hope Bachmann has the kind of familial, friendly and staff support brave enough to say either “Go” or “Whoa.” It makes me see Gov. Mitch Daniels’ wife in a whole new light.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Hmm, so even Chuckes agrees that Bachmann is a stalking horse. Good to know. People here have got all kinds of vapors when we mentioned it.

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM

I think he’s wrong. I’ll bookmark the prediction.

alwaysfiredup on July 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Found the link at Fox to the interview.

Link

FYI, “Cindy Adams is some Hollywood celebrity chaser.

Knucklehead on July 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Perry also will be the biggest threat to Romney. Dr. K predicts Perry will get in.

It was a good and fair interview, I’m sure it will show up here tomorrow.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM

CK doesn’t understand a lot. Palin getting in will hurt Bachmann, Perry getting in will hurt Bachmann and Mitt.

while there may be some overlap of Palin/Bachmann support most people would rather have Palin than Bachmann except the ABPP.

I ‘ve said for months I hope Perry gets in because he takes votes from mitt and gives Palin a clearer pathway to the nomination. Mitt has his stalking horse, Palin it appears has hers.

but Matthews interview was weird and Bachmann was a little spacey in that one.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Dr. K or LGF Chuckles? The husky ponytailed idiot even defended Bachmann on the Caller hit piece. He’s been bashing her for weeks.

Watch the interview and don’t put words in my mouth about a “stalking horse”

Knucklehead on July 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM

FYI, “Cindy Adams is some Hollywood celebrity chaser.

Knucklehead on July 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM

More did you know Cindy adams / Sarah stuff
1)Cindy was the first to report that sarah would attend the saturday night live show in Oct. 2008
2)Cindy was the first to report about the Feb Long Island event months in advance
3)Cindy was the first to report Sarah was going to Israel in January. (she went in April0
4)Cindy was the first to report details in May of the sarah stalker case

h/t danielvito

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:07 AM

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Yeah any people who don’t think Sarah is electable can hardly choose Bachmann over her. Bachmann is positively not electable while Palin’s unelectability is just a canard. I wish the anti-Romney vote would settle on one candidate. If it doesn’t by NH, it will by SC.

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I dunno, do you think that is on par with the other ones?

For one, I think that he spoke the truth. They attacked us to damage our economy as much as to kill our citizens. This being the case, go out and show them that you will not cave to their barbaric attacks today and will never surrender in the future.

astonerii on July 19, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Really?
The terrorists are killing our people so everyone go out and do a little shopping?

I’m sure that pronouncement struck terror in bin Laden’s heart.

chumpThreads on July 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM

that candidate is Capital Hill Barbie.

Chewy the Lab on July 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Evidently you’re not aware of her eating disorder.

p.s., you are both remembered and liked.

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM

I’m sure that pronouncement struck terror in bin Laden’s heart.

chumpThreads on July 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Or helped lessen the severity of an economic recession, not to mention the nation’s frayed nerves.

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I don’t think Bachmann can beat Obama. Just because I defend her doesn’t mean I’m totally behind her. I think she’s positioning herself for a VP slot. And I’m also thinking Perry gets in with Palin’s blessing. That’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it.

I want the best person possible to rid us of the nitwit in the White House.

Knucklehead on July 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I don’t think romney is now nor ever will be the front runner. the frontrunner is Palin as far as bas e of support goes. Therefore we don’t need an anti-romney candidate we need many antipalin candidates to split the antipalin vote.

It is a function of the frontrunner. you want many candidates in the race to split the opposition to you. It is why Palin continues to urge others to get in and make the field bigger. the worse thing Palin can have at the beginning is a strong antipalin candidate in the race. Bachmann, Perry, mitt etc all split that vote.

As far as Bachmann goes. the ABPP vote will go for Palin some of those that think Palin has too much baggage but what a woman will go to Bachmann. The more baggage Bachmann gets the worse her plunge will be because she is being protrayed as the non baggaged candidate (I.e the “smart Palin withoout the unfavs) the more stories like this illness and roughing up the reporter or slavery etc that comes out the more people take a second look at palin.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Alan West is great. Loved his smack down today.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Wow, that opened my eyes. I knew she was the frontrunner but I didn’t realize her stategery was based on that fact. Good thinking.

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM

rid us of the nitwit in the White House.

Knucklehead on July 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM

There’s only one?

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM

I’m sure that pronouncement struck terror in bin Laden’s heart.

chumpThreads on July 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I will type this slowly so you can keep up. If your enemy is trying to destroy your nation by attacking its economy, you try to prevent them from being effective. If Americans over react to the attack by staying home, being scared to leave their house, and not buying the things they normally were going to buy and still have as much ability to buy as they had before, then the terrorists are benefited. It is not about making Bin laden cry for mercy, it is to ensure the United States of America remains prosperous.

It should have taken you 5 hours to read this. If it took you less time, then it is likely that you missed many important points that I made.

astonerii on July 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Alan West is great. Loved his smack down today.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Yep, He could be a good senator from Florida. When is that election due?

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:23 AM

astonerii on July 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM

I understood why bush said it but i thought it was a bad statement for him to make. He disrespected citizens for it. no one I knew was scared to go shopping or holding up. Sure some were worried about flying or traveling but not shopping. I think the ones that were scared the most were the politcal leadership living in DC.

And his comments about Islam and worried about our reactions to muslims in this country also showed a fundemental distrust of the citizens of this country.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:28 AM

She used that as her basis for identifying mountainaires as a Palin supporter

steebo77 on July 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM

No, that was merely the only one she mentioned.

So the basis she mentioned wasn’t really the basis, even though you acknowledge that it was the basis? Great skills of argumentation you got there…

(By the way, that is painting Palin supporters with a broad brush, i.e. using ad hominems.)

No, she was attributing a very narrow trait to all Palin supporters.

So you admit she was attributing the same trait to ALL Palin supporters? If that’s not the very definition of painting with a broad brush, I don’t know what is. Again, great skills of argumentation you got there…

Why didn’t she refer to mountainaires similarly, using slashes? The answer: because she has a visceral dislike of Palin supporters,

No, it’s because she has identified the same trait in Palin supporters.

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM

No, she dislikes Palin and she dislikes her supporters. That is why she paints them unfairly with a broad brush.

steebo77 on July 20, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Yep, He could be a good senator from Florida. When is that election due?

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:23 AM

not sure but think its 2012.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:28 AM

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM

My math also shows that Palin’s overall favorable rating among Republican and Republican-leaning indies is once again approaching 70%. When you mulitply the “strongly favorable + favorable rating” by the percentage of Republicans who recognize the candidate, you get the following overall favorability ratings among Republican and Republican-leaning indies:

Palin: 69%

Romney: 63%

Bachmann: 56%

Paul: 48%

Gingrich: 47%

Pawlenty: 36%

Cain: 32%

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Interesting, although sub-demo poll results are lots of times way off. But my feeling is that she’s less popular among the Huckabee religious conservatives and more popular among libertarians, independents and Reagan Democrats, which jives with those results.

alwaysfiredup on July 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM

true. She isn’t one to push her religion on others. but for those that want the government to stay out of their relgion and allow the church to take a more active role in thier communities she would be their first choice.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM

more popular among libertarians, independents

alwaysfiredup on July 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I sensed Western pioneer libertarianism in her from the get-go, and have supported her since.

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 12:53 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Maybe so. But with Huckabee gone, where do those voters go? If they want a seat at the table, there’s nowhere to go but Palin. Actually, she has the broadest appeal of all the candidates who can appeal to all sections of the party, from so cons to libertarians to centrists and to security hawks.

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM

more popular among libertarians, independents

alwaysfiredup on July 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 12:53 AM

She has a strong independent streak. Didn’t she give Piper the middle name of Indie? I think that is why the sentiment of Don’t Tread on Me of the Tea Party fit her so well.

txmomof6 on July 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Don’t Tread on Me of the Tea Party fit her so well.

txmomof6 on July 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM

She’s always struck me as the real deal with the Tea Party. Bachmann seems more… oh, what’s the word… opportunistic?

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM

oh, what’s the word… opportunistic?

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Political calculated

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 1:09 AM

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Regarding MB: I agree with you.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 20, 2011 at 1:40 AM

I apologize, I don’t have time this evening to read all of the comments. What I’ve read, I’ve enjoyed for the most part.

While I’ve made it abundantly clear I am not a supporter of MB due to her inexperience in addition to a couple other issues, I do not condone going after anyone, in particular women, over migraines and subsequent alledged “drug use.” It reeks. It is yet more proof that someone on the Left (and even the Right) fears her; and therefore, the Palinization will continue.

greeneyedconservative on July 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM

greeneyedconservative on July 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Looks to me like MB is fighting this off pretty well..:)

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 1:58 AM

I will take this medical advice under advisement. Now where is the article?

Amateur hour??

Sherman1864 on July 20, 2011 at 2:05 AM

more popular among libertarians, independents

alwaysfiredup on July 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM

John the Libertarian on July 20, 2011 at 12:53 AM

txmomof6 on July 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Yes indeed. That was the same read I got as well; the same as JTL. And to this day I am surprised that aspect is so little mentioned. I recall when JTL first mentioned this perspective years ago; I was among the small minority that saw it the same way.

Hopefully now more will come to realize it is self-evident.

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:11 AM

What?!?..No more “You go Buddy for you?..GoHawgs is going to be disappointed..:)

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 2:19 AM

blink on July 20, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Sorry I don’t agree. He mirrored the situation quite well IMHO.

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Well GoHawgs saw Santorum’s new Suit Jacket and ran off the the tailor to get one for Buddy. It should be ready for the next televised debate. It will make buddy stand out against the other Buddy-wanna-be back-benchers.

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM

LOL!..That suit was bad!..:)

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 2:35 AM

I actually found it amusing when mountainaires said he/she was a Paul supporter — I’ve often noticed the similarities between Paulbots and Palinbots (and Obots, too).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM

blink on July 20, 2011 at 2:33 AM

You realize that the word “broad” in the phrase “painting with a broad brush” means:

Painting a Broad GROUP of people with a trait; whether the trait itself is narrow or broad is immaterial.

Think of it this way: The trait is the color of the paint; the width of the broad-brush is to cover a large group with the color-trait.

It seems you keep referring to the narrowness of the trait as a defense but then admit

Yes, she was attributing the same narrow trait to ALL Palin supporters.

This is the very definition of painting with a broad brush; ALL is an all-inclusive existential qualifier which rarely applies in the real world. Not even ALL crows are BLACK.

Anyway I don’t why this is such an issue (how steebo77 framed the reply) when in fact AG AG was painting with a broad brush, which you in essence have admitted.

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:43 AM

blink on July 20, 2011 at 2:35 AM

I am not going to respond to you after your non-sense reply.

Your reply was insincere and I now see what you are doing as some kind of deflection.

If you can’t accept the fact that I disagree after having looked it over in detail, then I can’t help you. I was trying to be sincere and polite as possible. It seems you don’t understand the phrase painting with a abroad brush and why this bothers you so much I can’t imagine why. Bye

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:50 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM

I usually find you as noxious as all the Palin-hating trolls.

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM

LOL!..That suit was bad!..:)

Dire Straits on July 20, 2011 at 2:35 AM

A bad version of Lounge-Lizard Disco wear it was. But it could put some pizzazz into buddy’s campaign rocket-launch.

T-Minus 2012 and counting.

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Anyway I don’t know why..

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Fixed.

Geochelone on July 20, 2011 at 3:06 AM

So I guess all those people I’ve known who claimed their migraines could be completely incapacitating were just not as strong of character as Bachmann, then.

Or she isn’t telling the truth.

Adjoran on July 20, 2011 at 4:12 AM

so do 30 million other Americans

29.9 million of the total are recently wed women…or, so I’ve heard…

Gohawgs on July 20, 2011 at 5:00 AM

OK, I’ll give you that. But she identified Palin supporters according to a narrow trait. steebo77 didn’t identify supporters of the other candidates according to any trait.

blink on July 20, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Yes, I did. That trait was painting with a broad brush.

Remember, Geochelone, steebo77 originally had a problem with AG accusing mountainaires of being a Palin supporter. She made this accusation because she has developed a set of criteria that she uses to identify Palin supporters.

So, again you admit that the -AG AG’s identification of mountainaires as a Palin supporter was based on the fact that she believes him to engage in ad hominems. This is progress. Earlier you denied even that much.

This is MUCH different than making assumptions about someone simply because they are supporters of a certain candidate.

The two are almost polar opposites. Seriously, how do you not see this?

blink on July 20, 2011 at 3:22 AM

When did I make assumptions about anyone based on who they support? I said I would be justified in the future making assumptions about who others support based on the tactics they engage in.

-AG AG assuming anyone who uses ad hominems is a Palin supporter based on -AG AG’s experience with gary and other Palin supporters would be roughly equivalent to me assuming in the future that anyone who paints with a broad brush is a Bachmann/Perry/Santorum supporter based on my experience with -AG AG and other Bachmann/Perry/Santorum supporters.

Are you really this retarded?

blink on July 20, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Was that really necessary? If only I knew which candidate you support. If I did, in the future, whenever anyone called someone else retarded, I would be justified in assuming that they also supported your candidate (following -AG AG’s faulty logic).

steebo77 on July 20, 2011 at 5:09 AM

Could very well be!
Of course, in addition to “strength of character”, sucessful migraine management requires self awareness and self discipline, especially with regard to diet, stress reduction & relaxation techniques, excercise, medication schedules and compliance.

Remember too, that the pain and duration of migraines differ across subjects – some individuals suffer only mild events, where certain others may indeed become “incapacitated” by the level of pain and duration of their migraines.

Seems obvious that MB has learned how to juggle a stressful job and life despite her and our headaches.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 20, 2011 at 6:13 AM

My mother and my grandmother both had bad migraines. They were awful. Years ago, the doctor would actually come to my grandmother’s house and give her a shot to just knock her out. The lights had to be out…no noise, no nothing. We kids were just expected to behave ourselves and leave both of them alone. I don’t know how severe Bachmann’s migraines are, but it does make me wonder.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 20, 2011 at 6:13 AM

She has always been one of many. She has not been the only person who had to make certain decisions or things just stopped. That does not happen very often even with the president of the United States, but it could happen. That is the difference.

Terrye on July 20, 2011 at 6:32 AM

People here have got all kinds of vapors when we mentioned it.

promachus on July 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM

We are just waiting for the proof that is the case. A link would be nice. Considering the Palin fans have also put for an additional unsubstantiated conspiracy theory that Romney leaked the migraine issue, the two baseless connivance’s are not logically possible.

csdeven on July 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I thought Palin was the anti-Washington manipulative politician? She said she wanted to see as many in as possible so we could have the best choice. her attitude is that of a patriot that doesn’t care about manipulating the electoral process, but rather making the process responsive to the true desires of the voters.

She can’t be both. And if she is a manipulative politician, I have even less use for her.

csdeven on July 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM

greeneyedconservative on July 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Why women in particular?

DrMagnolias on July 20, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Well I guess the only logical comment to this blog is that it’s a good thing Tina’s cute…because I see very little else to keep her around.

Now, my little young dear, you tell us what causes migraines, poor health?

Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson suffered from what some theorize to have been Migraines, tension-type headaches or even cluster headaches, throughout his prolific career.

right2bright on July 20, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Anyone … can … and … WILL beat Obama.

That’s the SAD fact of all this.

The GOP can put forth any candidate … hell, even Ron Paul – and he’d be able to beat Obama.

The people are hurting … and they’re tired of Obama.

Why is this such a SAD fact? It’s sad because the GOP doesn’t believe it. They think they will have an uphill fight to beat Obama – and as a result – they’ll nominate their FIFTH CHOICE for President because he’s a RINO and they think the indies will vote for him.

When in fact – you could swing for the fence and nominate the most Conservative Republican you can find – and that individual will whip the pants off Obama.

I mean – if you look at how Obama won in 2008 – you see a lot of states that Bush carried in ’04 and ’00 – traditionally RED states who “flipped” in ’08 for a “historic”, “attractive” – and let’s not forget Biden’s description … “clean” candidate.

Those states – most of which are hurting now – won’t go for him again.

Swing for the fence GOP – you don’t have to settle for a third rate squish like RomneyCare.

HondaV65 on July 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Blinkie, you’re back at it. You are a busy beaver. I’m making some assumptions here about your age, I’m guessing over 21, in which case you are the oldest example of F91.3 I’ve ever seen. Reduce coffee intake, and eat a balanced diet emphasizing protein.

Mason on July 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Hey, knucklehead. I’m not a Palin supporter. Nor am I a Perry supporter. But either one of them would get my vote in a general election. Michelle Bachmann will never get my vote. But go ahead, support a loser. Then you can whine when Obama wins about what “knuckleheads” the American people are for not voting in a woman who’s in the hospital every time she gets stressed out, or is so doped up on meds she can’t function, so her stress doesn’t cause her to get another migraine.

mountainaires on July 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM

That has to be one of – if not *the* – most stupid, uninformed, malicious, ignorant, asinine posts I’ve ever read on HA.
Mountainaires may claim to be a ‘conservative’ all day long, but I’d classify it as more of a “concern” troll (who knows nothing about migraines, either).
And ‘mountainaires’ – despite it’s assertions – would never vote for Palin, Perry, West or any other Conservative.

Solaratov on July 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM

My dear Blinki Boy, you make me feel like Ivan Pavlov. All I have to do is ring the bell (post) and you salivate (comment). This is so much fun. Ring, ring, ring! Yippie-kai-yay to you and yours!

Mason on July 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Great response. Issue has been addressed and dealt with. Next up, look for some NYT op-ed writer to say Bachmann adopts children to use them as slave labor.

hawksruleva on July 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM

h

A campaign spokesperson for presidential candidate Michele Bachmann says a report documenting the severity of the Minnesota congresswoman’s migraines is overblown. But, there has been at least one admitted instance of Bachmann being sidelined for days due to a severe migraine and other instances of her falling ill on the House floor……

Last July, the congresswoman was briefly hospitalized after a migraine developed while she was in the U.S. Capitol. And in a portion of an un-aired interview conducted a few days later with Fox News, Bachmann described the on-set of the migraine.”I had a sudden illness that came on. And the attending physician in the Capitol said that I needed to just go in. I had a terrible migraine. So I went in, and they tried to deal with it. And it was probably another four days that it took me to kinda get over that. And now I’m fine.”

Bachmann would later say in the August 2010 interview that she’d never had a migraine have that kind of effect on her.

So foxnews is reporting that Bachmann herself has reported that a migrane knocked her out for four days.

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Nice try at the rewrite…..

That is not “knocked out”.

csdeven on July 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM

That is not “knocked out”.

csdeven on July 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM

what rewrite?

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I haven’t read every single comment yet, however, it seems that what most people know as migraines is only the worst case scenario. If you read the Mayo Clinic page on migraines they state that migraines CAN cause severe pain, not that they DO. Mine are at the level mostly of annoyance.

I was diagnosed by my GP a few years back, who pointed out to me that studies show that most people who think they get frequent sinus headaches are actually experiencing migraines. Since many milder migraines respond to the same medications, OTC pain meds, and vasoconstrictors such as caffeine and pseudoephedrine, the classic sinus meds, they don’t realize it, and really, if the meds treat it, they don’t care.

I did end up with a work up from a neurologist this spring because I got one that just wouldn’t go away. It never got debilitating, it was just always there in some form, if only a mild pressure above my right ear. Shortly after my daughter came home from the hospital after her scoliosis surgery, and we finished getting moved out of the rental, they disappeared almost completely. I did find that having something to concentrate on actually improved things, because it took my mind off them.

So, I’ve seen a neurologist and have an official diagnosis of migraine. I think I may have missed one day of work in the last year because of them. Does this make me automatically unfit for public office no matter what my other qualifications may be?

LibraryGryffon on July 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Pawlenty says WH hopefuls must be able do the job

Tim Pawlenty moved closer Wednesday to raising doubts about Michele Bachmann’s fitness for office.

While repeating his previous comments that he’d defer to doctors on Bachmann’s particular health situation, Pawlenty said broadly that presidential hopefuls have to be up for the rigors of the job.

Continue Reading

“All of the candidates I think are going to have to be able to demonstrate they can do all of the job all of the time,” he told reporters after an event in Indianola.

He added: “There’s no real time off in that job.”

Reports about Bachmann’s indicate that her migraines would leave her unable to work for days at a time.

Asked if voters should consider a candidate’s capacity to do the job, Pawlenty said: “As a general requirement for the office, I think that applies to all of us.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59483.html#ixzz1Sfpb3ADE

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM

This has been great fun but as with all good things they must finally come to an end. In this case it involves another demonstration. Despite the fact that I am announcing this openly, Blink will not be able to resist and will respond. You know in your heart that I’m right blinkie.

To recap

First:

Mason on July 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Then:

blink on July 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I’m not surprised. You’ve made it quite obvious that your (sic) prone to irrational thought. I’m sure that some people make you feel like Popeye and some people make you feel like Marylin Monroe.

Now:

Mason

Ring, ring! Blinkster, get a saliva bib. Trying not to respond to this is going to hound you all day until you finally break. Go ahead, you know you want to do it.

BTW, did you see the latest news regarding Ms. Bachmann’s migraines? Rather alarming.

Ring, ring!

How I love it when I can do Pavlovian conditioning via the web, effortlessly and without impinging on my normal professional duties. Life is so good for those who can control themselves and act autonomously. Sorry Blink. I’m living in your head rent free as I believe I heard Rush Limbaugh say once upon a time. Don’t worry, I’ll move out on the 1st, but from here on out you will always react to your conditioning when you hear or read the words ring, ring!

Ring, ring!

Mason on July 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM

LINK to NRO Corner where they’ve just posted a letter Bachmann’s physician wrote describing her condition and treatment.

It confirms that these are infrequent headaches requiring as-needed very standard meds. Nothing daily. Nothing extraordinary. No underlying physical (neurological) problems of concern.

Can we drop this tedious attack on Bachmann now?

Y-not on July 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Y-not on July 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Daily Caller is proven to be shoveling manure. Thanks very much for the link. It ought to get its own thread here today after all the coverage it received yesterday.

I also hope the lying “anonymous sources” get outed so other campaigns don’t hire the back-stabbers.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM

unseen on July 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM

You said she was “knocked out” and the article said she was “sidelined”. She described it as to “kinda get over it”. That is a rewrite on your part.

csdeven on July 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Can we drop this tedious attack on Bachmann now?

Y-not on July 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The delusional wing of the St Palin the Victimized congregation need to exorcise their frustrations that Bachmann handles the press better than Palin does. Bachmann is the convenient target.

csdeven on July 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Actually, was it written by Bachmann’s physician or was it written by the “attending physician for Congress?

blink on July 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM

How suspicious of a member of Congress to provide a letter from the attending physician for Congress!

Did you bother to read it?

“You have a well-established diagnosis of migraine headaches with aura for which you have had an extensive evaluation by
both my office and by a board certified consulting neurologist. Your evaluation has entailed detailed labwork and brain scans all of which were normal. Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid. When you do have a migraine, you are able to control it well with as-needed sumatriptan and odansetron. It has not been necessary for you to take daily scheduled medications to manage this condition. You have not needed medical attention from me regarding your migraines with the use of the above mentioned commonly used therapies.”

Y-not on July 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I am surprised that there hasn’t at least been a link to this at the Headlines section.

As for the source, someone at the NRO comments is claiming it’s from Pawlenty’s camp. I guess that might make some sense given Hot Air’s history with T-Paw. Also, Bachmann is more of a threat to Pawlenty (in terms of drawing base voters) than she is to Romney.

I don’t think it really matters. It was sloppy “journalism” to report on a private medical issue without at least doing the legwork to ascertain if there’s been any evidence whatsoever that Bachmann misses a lot of work due to health issues (or any issues, for that matter).

Y-not on July 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Y-not on July 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Since T-Paw is harping on her health today, I can certainly believe NRO on that. He went down several notches today (and he didn’t have very far to go as it was…).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Tim Pawlenty moved closer Wednesday to raising doubts about Michele Bachmann’s fitness for office…
He added: “There’s no real time off in that job.”

Smarmy’s Boy!

Geez Timmy, maybe you’d better check Obambi’s Tee times, and Flight logs, before you start lecturing on the POTUS’ “JOB”! Everytime you take a swing at MB you trip on your ineptitude and land on your arse! GO HOME, Eddie Haskell, the ‘Ship of State’ has sailed without you!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Didn’t Joe Biden have a brain aneurysm and refused to release his medical records?

The brain issue may be his excuse for being Joe, maybe.

Philly on July 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM