Bachmann “incapacitated” by migraines?

posted at 10:55 am on July 19, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

The Daily Caller’s Jonathan Strong drops a bombshell on the Michele Bachmann campaign today with a report that migraines incapacitate the presidential hopeful on a regular basis.  The headline also alleges “heavy pill use,” a loaded phrase that insinuates some sort of addiction — an insinuation that the story fails to support.  An unknown number of unnamed sources form the basis of this story:

The Minnesota Republican frequently suffers from stress-induced medical episodes that she has characterized as severe headaches. These episodes, say witnesses, occur once a week on average and can “incapacitate” her for days at time. On at least three occasions, Bachmann has landed in the hospital as a result.

“She has terrible migraine headaches. And they put her out of commission for a day or more at a time. They come out of nowhere, and they’re unpredictable,” says an adviser to Bachmann who was involved in her 2010 congressional campaign. “They level her. They put her down. It’s actually sad. It’s very painful.”

Bachmann’s medical condition wouldn’t merit public attention, but for the fact she is running for president. Some close to Bachmann fear she won’t be equal to the stress of the campaign, much less the presidency itself.

“When she gets ‘em, frankly, she can’t function at all. It’s not like a little thing with a couple Advils. It’s bad,” the adviser says. “The migraines are so bad and so intense, she carries and takes all sorts of pills. Prevention pills. Pills during the migraine. Pills after the migraine, to keep them under control. She has to take these pills wherever she goes.”

What are the examples of Bachmann being “incapacitated” by her migraines?  Strong only offers one — a missed campaign appearance for then-Rep. Roy Blunt in his ultimately successful Senate campaign.  She was treated at a hospital and went home the same day.  The only other incidents cited by Strong’s report came two months earlier, an episode that caused her to miss … er … no appearances, although she did visit an urgent-care center, and another event in October of last year, in which she laid down for a while and went to urgent care for treatment later.

The “heavy use of pills” would be familiar to anyone who deals with migraines, but Strong’s description sounds more like someone who actively manages their medical condition rather than being the second coming of Neely O’Hara from Valley of the Dolls:

Of particular concern to some around her is the significant amount of medication Bachmann takes to address her condition.

The former aide says Bachmann’s congressional staff is “constantly” in contact with her doctors to tweak the types and amounts of medicine she is taking. Marcus Bachmann helps her manage the episodes.

Her husband helps his wife manage her medical issues — and that’s a surprise?  Migraines require the kind of review described in this passage, because the conditions shift and medications don’t always provide consistent relief.  Shouldn’t someone who has migraines be in contact with her physicians to ensure that medication works as it should and that the condition doesn’t incapacitate the sufferer?  And wouldn’t it be more strange if Marcus didn’t take a supporting role in that effort?

Bachmann doesn’t have a reputation for being a political wallflower.  She has tirelessly traveled to Tea Party events, appears constantly on talking-head political news shows, and is perhaps the most prodigious fundraiser in the House.  Bachmann didn’t do all of that by being incapacitated.  I’ve known Bachmann for several years, and I’m only aware of her missing one event (the Blunt appearance) in all of that time. If her migraines were anywhere near as incapacitating as Strong’s piece suggests, we would have known about it a year ago or more.

The sourcing on this story doesn’t instill much confidence, either.  Strong’s cites are:

• a former aide says.
  • three people who have worked closely with Bachmann
  • an adviser to Bachmann who was involved in her 2010 congressional campaign.
  • The former aide says …
  • the adviser says.

Strong writes that “TheDC agreed to provide the sources anonymity because they were providing information only a select group of people could know, at great professional risk.”  I’m not an idealist that says that anonymous sources should never be used, but in this story, anonymity is extremely curious.  It doesn’t protect whistleblowers calling attention to corruption or wrongdoing; it’s protecting people who didn’t like working for Bachmann.  If the former Bachmann aides fear for the Republic, why aren’t they openly speaking out?  The “great professional risk” appears to be that politicians won’t hire people who are disloyal and stab people in the back, anonymously or not.

Update: Race 4 2012 has more on Bachmann’s voting record, which also shows no evidence of incapacitation.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Why else would anyone go to the urgent care with a migraine?

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Perhaps the trip to urgent care wasn’t for a migraine but rather a different issue?

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I just unsubscribed to their daily DC links e-mails I get every morning from them.

Hit them where it hurts, in their wallets.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I did that months ago when they went after Palin. I see you were ok with their hitpieces on Palin but the Bachmann story is a bridge too far for you.

I would encourage everyone to do as you suggest the daily caller is establishment all the way. I am sure this story is pushing the medical condition of Bachmann as bigger than it is.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

People undergoing chemo are heavy on pills as well. I guess that makes them junkies too.

adamsmith on July 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Yup, I guess I am, as I’m on hold with my doc now on upping my pain meds, since the oxycodone isn’t working anymore.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I’m not sure I get the “Daily Caller is establishment” angle. I think they’re just a tabloid looking for ratings. The extra wrinkle is that their best sources appear to be from GOP circles.

If you’ll recall, they blew up the young guns (GOP) fundraising outings story way out of proportion, too. And they were all over RNC expenses, but they didn’t do any significant investigation into how they compared against either the DNC’s expenses or best-practices for political fundraising in general.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Bachmann should immediately abdicate as rep for the good of the people of MN. As POTUS she will have access to the best health care in the world and the migraines wont be a problem.

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Perry’s my man the instant he enters the race. And, yes, I’m braced for the “Perry’s a bible-thumping creationist” stuff that they’ll roll out.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I doubt they will go there with Perry. Maybe but I would think they would go after the highway and vaccine issues to seperate him from the TEa party…..

stories on his faith won’t hurt him and might even help him in IA and SC. If they want to take him down. Many of the establishment seem to be hoping for a Perry run so the attacks at least from the right like the daily caller would not emerge. Now Mitt and his staff might go after Perry it is what THEy do after all.

But i think Perry would have to worry more about attacks from the left.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Not according to this….

On the evening of May 13, 2010, Bachmann flew to Los Angeles for a series of political and fundraising events. In part because of complications with her flight schedule, Bachmann’s mood plunged. During the entire six-hour flight, she was desperately sick from headaches. (Perry, Bachmann lead in July Daily Caller/Conservative Home tracking poll)
Her husband, Marcus Bachmann, met his wife at LAX and ushered her to a nearby urgent care center. Though Bachmann managed to attend several events in California, including an appearance before a California chapter of the Eagle Forum and a fundraiser in Palm Springs, she struggled through the weekend, in pain throughout.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

You’re right. I was looking ahead to the general.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

could be without the records themselves it is just specualtion on the writer’s part.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

You’re right about that. If she’s in the WH, she’ll have access to a personal physician and this will be handled very discretely.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM

You’re right. I was looking ahead to the general.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM

ok. Then yeah the left will go after the faith stuff in the general.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I have absolutely no confidence in this post whatsoever. Furthermore, the “this happens whenever she hears bad news” is so contrived that it doesn’t even warrant an answer.

As for migranes…

And that source is from myself, not 3 anonymous sources.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Good enough for me.

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I’m working on my dissertation right now, and if he did it while having migranes, that’s good enough for me too.

itsspideyman on July 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I signed up with them when they first started because Treacher was there, but I’ve never even gone over there to read anything so I have no idea what they said about Palin. Stop trying to read between the lines and start crap where there is none on my part.

I don’t suppose this hit piece has anything to do with this?

Michele Bachmann’s momentum continues to build and she’s taken first place by the smallest of margins on PPP’s newest national Presidential poll. 21% of Republican primary voters say she’s their top choice to 20% for Mitt Romney, 12% for Rick Perry, 11% for Herman Cain, 9% for Ron Paul, 7% for Newt Gingrich, 5% for Tim Pawlenty, and 3% for Jon Huntsman.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Folks, there’s no evidence from her voting record that she is unable to function in her current job. I really don’t see that there is a reason to worry about her ability to be POTUS. Even if she had three ER visits. So what?

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

why would they write about “mood” Are they trying to say she is unstable or something? that was a low blow by the daily caller IMO. what does “mood” have to do with a medical condition that puts you in the hospital? Of course anyone in massive pain is not going to be perky.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I LOL’ed at Ed’s Neely O’Hara reference. NEELY O’HARA!!!!

RedRedRice on July 19, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Because she was in pain and hoped that an urgent care center might be able to help with the pain. No assumption of complete debilitation needs to be made.

Someone might go to an urgent care center to get 15 stitches for an bad incision. That doesn’t mean that the incision has completely debilitated them.

blink on July 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM

If you would have read my post through clearer eyes, you would have noted that I said she went to the urgent care to stronger pain meds…..something that many. many people do.
I never said anything about it debilitating them.
But now that you’ve brought it up, once you’ve gone thru a migraine, it knocks you out for a while…and it does that to everyone that suffers from them.

Like I’ve said a couple times already…I’m not judging….I sympathize

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your illness, I hope you pain is short lived and you are on the road to recovery and long life soon.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM

My wife, my daughter, and a former employee of mine all suffer from migraines. They are awful and sometimes blinding, and Big Medicine has not figured out what causes them or how to combat them.

My thoughts are with this wonderful lady. That said … you can’t be President with this affliction.

Jaibones on July 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

In this comment, has anyone mentioned that this is nobodies’ business unless there is a clear pattern of her being regularly incapacitated from duties and commitments? Not disgruntled former staffers? I am not supporting anyone at this point on the republican side, but aides or former aides should never be able to give out medical information unless given permission to do so. Good night!

mwbri on July 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I’m sure it has something to do with it. this is Mitt’s MO which we have been telling you about for years. The only question I have is since Bachmann’s spokeswoman confirmed the medical condidition how bad are they. the Daily caller IMO is probably making them worse than they appear and the Bachmann camp is probably downplaying them.

since the Bachmann camp confirmed the medical condition we know at least some of the Daily caller article is true. this is not something made up out of whole cloth but what we don’t know is how bad they are.

If i had to guess I would say day to day they are managable but at times they flare up.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I present to you John F Kennedy.

MayBee on July 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

He had that bad back and managed to swim to shore while pulling his shipmates with his teeth after PT109 got taken out. I think he proved his resilience. Not to mention given his reputation for…using his back with a number of women.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Kennedy got the bad back as a result of the PT-109 incident.

And, while he was in the white house, he habitually ate pain killers and muscle relaxers like they were candy. To say he spent a good part of each day “fuzzy” is no exaggeration.

Solaratov on July 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I understand what was written…..my point is that with an unnamed source, the details cannot be given one single shred of credibility.

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

This is a crock of chit hatchet job. I don’t think MB is going to make it because of the gay kookiness, but this is just bullchit.

Southernblogger on July 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I think I’ll just keep posting this until someone tells me where the evidence is that Michelle Bachmann is unable to perform her duties.

Govtrack.us says Michele Bachmann missed 206 (5%) of 4,130 roll call votes since Jan 4, 2007.

For comparision, Gabrielle Giffords missed 669 (16%) of 4,130 roll call votes since Jan 4, 2007.

And Barack Obama missed 314 (24%) of 1,300 roll call votes since Jan 6, 2005.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I smell a ‘rat.

Or maybe a RINO.

Despite the difference in size and species, the stench is very much the same.

LegendHasIt on July 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Solaratov on July 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Well there was that whole cuban misle crisis.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Unnamed source sounds like a lying writer or some gopher in the campaign paid by Romney people.

Southernblogger on July 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Yea…tha “mood” comment was pretty snarky.

Listen, people handle pain and stress differently. Some people handle it “better” than others.
After being an RN for more than 30 years I’ve come to learn not to judge people when it comes to their pain….because it’s theirs, not mine.
If people think that they know how they’d handle such pain, then I call them ignorant, and shame on them for judging.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Tim Pawlenty on claiming that he suffers from severe ailurophobia to create some buzz:

“I’ll do it!”

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Shrug.

Obama’s been incapacitated by stupidity for several years.

TallDave on July 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Jaibones on July 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Would it make a difference if she wasn’t a woman?

With John Kennedy buzzing on painkillers, should he have been president?

With Roosevelt need so much treatment for his paralysis, should he have been president?

This whole post is because Bachmann is leaping into the front. It’s typical ad hominen. I have no faith in October suprises.

itsspideyman on July 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM

mwbri on July 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Isn’t it against Federal Law or does that just include health car eproviders? HIPAA. not sure if that includes everyone or just healthcare providers.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Thanks, sweetie. God didn’t bring me this far just to drop me now. I’ve got excellent doctors and the Great Physician looking out for me (and a couple of kick-@$$ ladies at home), so I’ll be fine.

P.S. Enjoy your posts.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Bachmann is unable to perform her duties.

And Barack Obama missed 314 (24%) of 1,300 roll call votes since Jan 6, 2005.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

And one more thing: Barak was absent 24% of the time with no affliction.

itsspideyman on July 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM

catmman, I wasn’t trying to say she must be handicapped just b/c of the hospital visits–was just saying they must be really bad, and if they are, maybe she shouldn’t be going for such a high-stress, high-pressure job. It’s not like Michelle Bachmann has some unique quality or insight or charm or knowledge that only she can bring to the table, so she just MUST run for President. No offense towards her at all, but there are some people who you can say that about and she is not one of them–same goes for all the rest of the current candidates. If Ronald Reagan had suffered from migraines, I’d be thanking my lucky stars that he toughed it out to be President. I like Bachmann, but I just don’t see her as being an exceptional Presidential candidate.

Basically this story has no effect on my voting decision, I just like gossipy chat sometimes. Since we are on the topic, one of the reasons I just cannot get enthused about Bachmann is because I find the massive amounts of makeup she wears and the usually overdone hair distracting and off-putting. She gave a televised speech a while back that I literally could not watch because her makeup was just so horrendous. I am sorry, but I have a very hard time taking women seriously who look like they are wearing stage makeup, and who look like they go through a can of hairspray a day. And Sarah Palin does not fall into this category, lest anybody should wonder. I’m sure Sarah wears tons of makeup, but she has a better grasp on blending and choosing natural hues.

Still…I like Bachmann. But none of my top picks are in the race so far.

Polynath on July 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Dealing with chronic back pain for years. i agree. Somedays I can function normally some days i can’t. a Chronic medical condition wears on you and your pain threshold over time varies.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Perhaps she still could have put that migraine to bed within 16 hours and order the kill on OBL.

Axeman on July 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Again, hit piece or not (because they are coming no matter which conservative or conservative woman is their aim),

Are we supposedly no longer question the fitness to lead the nation, because Obama was worse?

Sir Napsalot on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM

May He hold you in the hollow of His hand.

kingsjester on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Health care providers and folks like me who work around them and may see medical records by accident/fluke. (I work in hospitals and with paramedics and such and stumble across stuff moving it out of my way to work.) It also covers just seeing someone in a hospital who is a patient. I’m not allowed to mention I saw Mr. X, because of my job.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Should Dick Cheney have resigned when his heart stuff started up again? IIRC he had several hospital stays.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

that is an unfair comparison. One was shot in the head the other spent 2 years running for POTUS. Bachmann’s missed votes will rise dramtically as she continues her campaign. But i get your point if the migranes do effect her it is only a small amount of time. <5%. Take away some missed votes for travel, family events, campaign events and the number is even less.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I hope to see many many more posts from you in the future. God, good doctors and kick a$$ ladies are an unbeatable combination.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Why are the GOP Elites trying to run Conservatives out of the race? Don’t they want to win?

kingsjester on July 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I’m not allowed to mention I saw Mr. X, because of my job.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

hmm interesting. that would explain why some nurses were afraid to talk about Coach Dean being in the hospital here in NC.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

party of sheep.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM

It applies to everyone. The only reason I know is when I tried to pick up my dad’s medical records when he changed doctors. Long story short, I had to get a temporary power of attorney.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Sir Napsalot on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Where is the evidence that she has been unable, or anything other than above average frankly, to perform her duties as a Congresswoman?

And what is the incident that requires the POTUS to be instantly the sole person responsible for making a decision? As Axeman reminded us, killing off OBL took Obama 16 hours of nap time… and a zillion advisors.

I simply do not see this as disqualifying. Migraines can be debilitating, but she wouldn’t be in a coma. She would be able to delegate.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Axeman on July 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

ROFL…nice one.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Listen….just because someone suffers from migraines, doesn’t make her ineligible for POTUS…I can find many more things on that account…but not this. It’s not life threatening, and she’s not contagious.
If she gets irritable or “moody” because of the pain, so what. I’m sure there are other things that make her just as irritable and moody.
Now, if she needs pain meds to get her through it….THAT might be something that might bother people.
What does she take?…how often…how much. That doesn’t seem to have interfered with her performance in the past, but then again if she’s POTUS, some people might worry about that.
They might have a reason to be concerned.

The question here is…between the migraines themselves and the meds she takes for them…just how debilitating does it all make her?
I think if she is straight forward with us and explains these things, this will fly over….but she needs to be honest, if she’s not and something happens….welllll.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I have never had any use for the DC. They are more trash than substance.

Southernblogger on July 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

He does, and thank you.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Somtimes I think the ladies are better for me than my oncologist! LOL They keep me on the straight and narrow.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Right. I’m sure there have been POTUS in the past that have been bed ridden with flues and colds and such and can still govern.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I have arthritis in my spine. I’m in my early 40s, but when I had an MRI they said my spine looked like that of a 60-yr. old. A combination of pain pills and physical therapy allows me to function pretty well.

Chronic pain is more mental than physical, IMO.

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

There is no more proof of any of this than McCain’s punks who started trashing Palin for their own incompetence. We all know what moody is code for.

Southernblogger on July 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Yeah, forgot about that part of HIPPA

odat on July 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

good point. It seems to me at least that the Daily caller is blowing it out of proportion and the Bachmann camp is downplaying it. I’m sure more of the story will come out soon. these types of stories usally have legs because they are being pushed by someone with an agenda. I would say either timmy or Mitt’s camps are pushing it. more details will emerge. If Bachmann’s camp was upfront with the reporter it will blow away however if they are caught in some lie the cover up will be what does them in.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

that is an unfair comparison. One was shot in the head

And is still occupying a seat in Congress… AND is seriously being touted as a Senate candidate. That was kinda my point.

Gabby Giffords has had a permanent, life-changing injury. Bachmann has (apparently) a chronic condition that millions live with every day. She is productive in her current, high pressure job (and home life). There is no reason to believe she is doped up – she certainly never appears doped up and that is not the kind of meds that work on migraines anyway.

I am not finding anyone who has made more votes than Bachmann has, but I confess that I can’t find an average published anywhere.

I think Grassley claims he’s missed no votes since 1975, but most of them are in the 5-10% range.

This is a ridiculous attempt to smear Bachmann.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I’m a lawyer and I have a few lawyer colleagues who suffer from severe migraines. The one guy had a sudden migraine attack while he was driving that was so serious he vomited and nearly blacked out and lost control of his car…

Migraines are serious business. And, if the report is true that her migraines are aggravated by stress, it does raise a legitimate question of whether Bachmann would be able to complete a term as President, even if she professes that she can.

Outlander on July 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Chronic pain is more mental than physical, IMO.

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Yeah most days you can deal with the pain but mentally you get used to a certain level of pain. when it flares sometimes you just can’t adjust quick enough.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Southernblogger on July 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Don’t jump down my throat….you’re preaching to the choir here.
I’ve said ad nauseam, that this is a non factor, the “moody” comment was snarky, and that I’m not judging her….Being a fellow migraine sufferer, I very much sympathize with her.

Other people just might be concerned with the medication she has to take for this and just how “incapacitating” all this is for her.
After all it’s not the President of the PTA that we’re voting for here.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

but she needs to be honest, if she’s not and something happens….welllll.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

That is assuming there is something to be honest about. Her spokesperson already gave the statement. That entire article should be ignored. If we ignore it, we wouldn’t be insisting Bachmann needs to “be honest” with us.

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I am not jumping on you. I am saying an unnamed source has zero credibility.I think this is a DC hit job.Trying to save their RINO.

Southernblogger on July 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

People criticize Palin as being “thin skinned” when she re-torts back to the naysayers right away, but it stops the lies in it’s tracks and they can’t develop wings.

Maybe MB needs to take that route. Nip it in the bud and don’t let it fester.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

persoanlly I think giffords should have resigned during her recovery. she would be re-elected in a heartbeat once she makes a full recovery. but until then the citizens of her district desrve a functioning representative.

As far as this story is concerned I’m leaning towards the daily caller trying to blow it out of proportion. The only real concern I got is that the Bachmann camp confirmed the underlying issue of the medical condition and the need for medication to manage it.

without that confirmation I would agree 100% that this was a smear/slander. Since the Bachmann camp confirmed the medical/medication issue the question is how bad are they. Your data that she hasn’t missed many votes is a good data point to say it is more towards the bachmann’s camp stated position than the daily caller’s.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Chronic pain is more mental than physical, IMO.

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Ditto on all accounts.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Quoting my own comment over at AOS:

And thus the Palinization of Bachmann begins.

Note that it’s the Daily Caller, ostensibly a GOP/right-leaning outlet.

Palin? Nuts. A little wacky, a little crazy. O’Donnell? The same. Bachmann? The same.

What a coincidence. What are the odds?

And I guarantee that there are elements of the GOP more than happy to take part in it. Because conservative women just aren’t electable, you know. They need to get back in the kitchen and let the old boys make the big decisions.

My God. I’m a bit of an old-fashioned male chauvinist pig, and these women are making me a damn feminist.

It’s honestly sickening, and it makes me likelier to support any or all of these women. Out of spite, if nothing else.

Cue tut-tutting from GOP mouthpieces . . . NOW.

tsj017 on July 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Here I am agreeing with you again. lol We pay too much attention to bomb-throwers these days. Every little detail is dissected and discussed ad nauseum, especially when the facts are thin. We call it “vetting”, when actually it all is just gossip, speculation and attack pieces. My agreement is this is one of those things which needs to be ignored. It’s crap, and aimed just to get a rise out of Bachmanns camp.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM

If she does have Migraines – they are totally debilitating,

jake-the-goose on July 19, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Situations like this are where being a woman is truly an advantage. Men get a little indigestion and THEY are totally incapacitated and whining. Women on the other hand, are tough cookies! We’re used to having cramps, stomach aches, back aches, hot flashes, need I go on? Then, even when we have these symptoms, we have to feed the kids, dress the kids, take them to school, go to work, pick up the kids, help them with homework, fix dinner, bathe and put them to bed. After all this we get to worry about our aches and pains, unless of course we have to clean the kitchen, and do the laundry, you get the idea.

A few migraine headaches are not going to stop someone as tough as Michele Bachmann, much less incapacitate her!

Perhaps this toughness is one of the reasons to elect a woman vs a man to the Oval Office

Susanboo on July 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Nip it in the bud and don’t let it fester.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM

True. Her camps response was yeah she has them they aren’t as bad as the article says. I don’t think she needs to release any medical records or anything but they are ways and data that could be released to nip this in the bud. Y_Not’s vote tallies is one there are others.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Wrong csdeven….going that route makes it all look like she’s hiding something.
Be honest….there are millions of migraine sufferers out here. Tell them what meds you take and how you deal with them. You’ll get sympathy, support and even some respect for the honesty.
It’ll then be over…..nothing more to be said.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Her spokesperson already gave the statement.
csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM

A statement which confirmed the medical condition is real and the need for medication is real. the two sides are arguing over the depth of the condition. So no the entire article can not be ignored. since Bachmann’s own spokeswoman confirmed a large part of the story.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM

This is a ridiculous attempt to smear Bachmann.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Of course it is. What were you expecting?

Extrafishy on July 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Migraine and moody have nothing to do with each other.

One is unable to function if they have a migraine
headache. Often for hours.

Amjean on July 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Susanboo on July 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Amen, sister! My plumbing is on the outside, but I couldn’t agree with you more! I’ve watched my wife drag herself through the day with all sorts of things wrong: flu, high sugar, low sugar, arthritis, PMS (she does have a gun!), etc., etc. Me…i get a hangnail and I’m on the couch for a day, holding my finger up waiting on my Garanimals band-aid. Women are truly Gods gift to men.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM

For those of you asking who Tucker Carlson’s backer is, here’s the answer.

The Fox News commentator launches his new Web site, the Daily Caller, on Monday. His partner is Neil Patel, a former Dick Cheney aide. His opinion editor is Moira Bagley, who spent 2008 as the Republican National Committee’s press secretary. And his $3 million in funding comes from Wyoming financier Foster Friess, a big-time GOP donor.

NoNails on July 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Are you claiming that the CinC can’t respond to issues from bed, or are you claiming that a migraine sufferer isn’t capable of rallying during a crisis?

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

If the migraine is severe, yes.

Mason on July 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

the comments over at the article are interesting to read. Doesn’t seem like many think Carlson is an above board type of guy.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Susanboo on July 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I am woman hear me roar! Yawn.

Mason on July 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

unseen

I did not say it was against federal law, but the contracts should be written in a such a way that no aide or former aide should ever be able to do this. This is nobodies’ business. Absolutely unbelievable, and the DC should be ashamed of running this.

mwbri on July 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

a migraine sufferer isn’t capable of rallying during a crisis?

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

If the migraine is severe, yes.

Mason on July 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

GWB’s decisions were under constant attack.

If you don’t think any decision from a person suffering migraines will be questioned to death, you are kind of naive.

Sir Napsalot on July 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM

She’s a drug addict, just like Rush!!!!!!!!11!!! /sarc

KS Rex on July 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

If the migraine is severe, yes.

Mason on July 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I conducted a two-day job interview (for a faculty position in a hard science department) with a migraine. No meds. I excused myself during one one-on-one segment to vomit, then resumed the interview.

I got the job.

Migraines vary in intensity and there are definitely times when I would not risk driving while I have one, but they do not impair judgment to such an extent that an executive can’t do what needs to be done. You aren’t in a coma. You aren’t on opiates.

And, most importantly, there’s no evidence Bachmann’s performance has been hindered by her migraines.

She is not my gal, but I certainly am impressed by how she has risen up to national prominence on her hard work and determination.

It is unseemly to violate someone’s medical privacy without justification and there is simply no justification offered as to why Bachmann is physically unfit for office.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

mwbri on July 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

kind of shows how far we have sunk as a nation. they wouldn’t even talk about FDR being in a wheelchair. Now we are dealing with headaches.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Good point. Knucklehead never had any problem with a conservative women being attacked if it was Sarah Palin.

I don’t support Bachmann because, while I agree with her politically, I don’t think she has the necessary experience and qualifications.

As I said before, I hope the Daily Caller really checked this out because they probably destroyed whatever chance Bachmann had.

bw222 on July 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

She’s a drug addict, just like Rush!!!!!!!!11!!! /sarc

KS Rex on July 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM

the sad thing is that I could see people on the left and right using that attack line for real in the coming months. Obama and his minions will use it. Look for the DNC and some on the right to go back through all her appearances on TV and try to find her most blurry eyes interviews and then do voice overs “asking questions”

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

You’ll get sympathy, support and even some respect for the honesty.
It’ll then be over…..nothing more to be said.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM

It deserves no credibility. Why don’t we ask if she has stopped forcing gays to become straight? Then she can “be honest” about that.

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Sure it can. The sources are unnamed and the details are not confirmed. It deserves no credibility.

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM

bw222 on July 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

It depends. If the story wasn’t checked out and it is refuted with facts then it might backfire like the bogus attacks on Palin have backfired over the years and get people to support her more.

If the story is confirmed I think it does really hurt Bachmann in the long run esp if people like Mitt drive it home during the campaigns.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM

odat on July 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I am curious to see how she handles this. I say her spokesperson said all that will be said and it goes away.

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Haven’t read all the comments, so this point may have been made already. But just in case…

If this story were about Obama, it would be about his dedication and service in light of a his debilitating condition. In a conservative’s case, it’s about raising questions about her fitness for office. They tell you who they are afraid of.

samuelrylander on July 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I present to you John F Kennedy.

MayBee on July 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Kennedy had far greater health problems than a bad back. He’s one of the most sickly president in our history, and might have died in office from Addison’s and his other ailments. He was drugged up every day of his presidency and those drugs likely affected him mentally.

Had the public known he was so sickly he would never have been elected.

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Alice Stewart, a spokeswoman for Bachmann, said ”she suffers from migraines and they’re under control with medicine.” Stewart contested descriptions of the episodes as “incapacitating” Bachmann but did not specify how the descriptions were wrong. “The information you have is incorrect,” Stewart said. She declined to discuss Bachmann’s hospital visits at all, saying, “I’m not going to go into her medical history.”

Like I said the unnamed sources and details that weren’t confirmed is how bad the migranes are.

the fact that Bachmann suffers from them and takes medication for them were confirmed by Bachmann’s camp itself.

so the story is at least correct on those issues. which means we can’t ignore it.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Romney-Rubio or Perry-Rubio can beat Obama.

Bachmann-Anybody can’t.

Nothing else matters.

End of story.

Byron on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I can’t see Rubio agreeing to be on a Romney ticket. But I agree 110 percent about Perry/Rubio being unbeatable, I’d predict 45 or more states. And I also think you left out “Anybody/Bachmann” as a loser, too. Sorry – it is. Why would anybody choose as VP – I can’t imagine the top of the ticket: “Oooh, I need to carry that ditrict in Minnesota!”

Marcus on July 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Well I think Barry still snorts coke daily b/c he admitted to snorting it and buying it. He also thinks he’s a god, which is what I hear is the reason people take the damn stuff! And I have unnamed sources to back up my theory, but I can’t name them, so just take my word for it. //

JAM on July 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I am woman hear me roar! Yawn.

Mason on July 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I’m no woman’s libber, but men are wimps when they don’t feel well. God gave women the gift of child bearing, which makes us really tough and LOL! I think you’re just jealous.

Susanboo on July 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM