Bachmann “incapacitated” by migraines?

posted at 10:55 am on July 19, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

The Daily Caller’s Jonathan Strong drops a bombshell on the Michele Bachmann campaign today with a report that migraines incapacitate the presidential hopeful on a regular basis.  The headline also alleges “heavy pill use,” a loaded phrase that insinuates some sort of addiction — an insinuation that the story fails to support.  An unknown number of unnamed sources form the basis of this story:

The Minnesota Republican frequently suffers from stress-induced medical episodes that she has characterized as severe headaches. These episodes, say witnesses, occur once a week on average and can “incapacitate” her for days at time. On at least three occasions, Bachmann has landed in the hospital as a result.

“She has terrible migraine headaches. And they put her out of commission for a day or more at a time. They come out of nowhere, and they’re unpredictable,” says an adviser to Bachmann who was involved in her 2010 congressional campaign. “They level her. They put her down. It’s actually sad. It’s very painful.”

Bachmann’s medical condition wouldn’t merit public attention, but for the fact she is running for president. Some close to Bachmann fear she won’t be equal to the stress of the campaign, much less the presidency itself.

“When she gets ‘em, frankly, she can’t function at all. It’s not like a little thing with a couple Advils. It’s bad,” the adviser says. “The migraines are so bad and so intense, she carries and takes all sorts of pills. Prevention pills. Pills during the migraine. Pills after the migraine, to keep them under control. She has to take these pills wherever she goes.”

What are the examples of Bachmann being “incapacitated” by her migraines?  Strong only offers one — a missed campaign appearance for then-Rep. Roy Blunt in his ultimately successful Senate campaign.  She was treated at a hospital and went home the same day.  The only other incidents cited by Strong’s report came two months earlier, an episode that caused her to miss … er … no appearances, although she did visit an urgent-care center, and another event in October of last year, in which she laid down for a while and went to urgent care for treatment later.

The “heavy use of pills” would be familiar to anyone who deals with migraines, but Strong’s description sounds more like someone who actively manages their medical condition rather than being the second coming of Neely O’Hara from Valley of the Dolls:

Of particular concern to some around her is the significant amount of medication Bachmann takes to address her condition.

The former aide says Bachmann’s congressional staff is “constantly” in contact with her doctors to tweak the types and amounts of medicine she is taking. Marcus Bachmann helps her manage the episodes.

Her husband helps his wife manage her medical issues — and that’s a surprise?  Migraines require the kind of review described in this passage, because the conditions shift and medications don’t always provide consistent relief.  Shouldn’t someone who has migraines be in contact with her physicians to ensure that medication works as it should and that the condition doesn’t incapacitate the sufferer?  And wouldn’t it be more strange if Marcus didn’t take a supporting role in that effort?

Bachmann doesn’t have a reputation for being a political wallflower.  She has tirelessly traveled to Tea Party events, appears constantly on talking-head political news shows, and is perhaps the most prodigious fundraiser in the House.  Bachmann didn’t do all of that by being incapacitated.  I’ve known Bachmann for several years, and I’m only aware of her missing one event (the Blunt appearance) in all of that time. If her migraines were anywhere near as incapacitating as Strong’s piece suggests, we would have known about it a year ago or more.

The sourcing on this story doesn’t instill much confidence, either.  Strong’s cites are:

• a former aide says.
  • three people who have worked closely with Bachmann
  • an adviser to Bachmann who was involved in her 2010 congressional campaign.
  • The former aide says …
  • the adviser says.

Strong writes that “TheDC agreed to provide the sources anonymity because they were providing information only a select group of people could know, at great professional risk.”  I’m not an idealist that says that anonymous sources should never be used, but in this story, anonymity is extremely curious.  It doesn’t protect whistleblowers calling attention to corruption or wrongdoing; it’s protecting people who didn’t like working for Bachmann.  If the former Bachmann aides fear for the Republic, why aren’t they openly speaking out?  The “great professional risk” appears to be that politicians won’t hire people who are disloyal and stab people in the back, anonymously or not.

Update: Race 4 2012 has more on Bachmann’s voting record, which also shows no evidence of incapacitation.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Besides, This story wreaks of Inner party dirty tactics by skilled mud slingers. I think there are bits of truth like she has headaches and medication, but the alot of it reads like over dramatic fluff.

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Yep. Red meat for the blogs. *cough*

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

This crap is going to happen to EVERY conservative woman that runs for office.
I’m certainly not a feminazi-but yeah-there is a double standard.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Are you claiming that the CinC can’t respond to issues from bed, or are you claiming that a migraine sufferer isn’t capable of rallying during a crisis?

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I am saying as a general rule that a person regualrly confined to bed and medicated is not a good quality for a president.

NotCoach on July 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I probably won’t vote for Bachmann in the primaries, but if she gets the nomination, I’ll vote for her no matter what because I’m not stupid.

But honestly if she has visited urgent care three times in the past year for migraines, she should probably not be President, a position that surely only increases one’s headaches.

I get debilitating migraines, too, but I’ve never had to go to the hospital for it, let alone three times a year even WITH loads of medication.

As someone with migraines, I have just come to accept that there are some positions that are not for me due to the fact that on occasion I will be reduced to repeated projectile vomiting if I am not able to find a dark place to lay down. Heck, I felt guilty at my last very unimportant retail job when I had to tell them on a couple occasions–”I need to leave or I’m going to be sick.” Rather than pumping myself full of pills so I can work, I just find work that I can do without constant medication.

But visiting urgent care three times in a year is really bad, especially if she’s supposedly taking multiple types of medication. I am sorry, but I honestly would not want a President that is going to be cancelling meetings with foreign dignitaries because of a headache, and that is what she would have to do it sounds like.

Polynath on July 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

So what. I doubt this’ll get much further than the Daily Caller. Good thing Bachmann didn’t write her dosage on her hand. Then the entire MSM would’ve been on her.

Dongemaharu on July 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I can’t answer that question because neither you nor I have seen Biden’s, Obama’s nor Michelle Bachmann’s medical records and I’m not a doctor.

Obama has only released a one page document as his “medical record” so we have no idea what medical conditions he suffers from.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Oh come on. You don’t need medical records to answer this question. I gave you a scenario in which Obama & Biden actually suffer from what this article claims Bachmann does.

Would it make you question their ability to lead our nation knowing that under stressful situations they would need medication and possibly have to be out of action for a day or 2?

Yes or NO?

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I present to you John F Kennedy.

MayBee on July 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

He had that bad back and managed to swim to shore while pulling his shipmates with his teeth after PT109 got taken out. I think he proved his resilience. Not to mention given his reputation for…using his back with a number of women.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Too bad a pill hasn’t been made yet for Strong’s obvious BDS. I sure hope he’s got a good lawyer if his “sources” turn out to be mostly “well medicated” unicorns.

Rovin on July 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I have been fortunate to have only had one but I don’t know how anyone can say that a woman with Rep. Bachmann’s accomplishments has been incapacitated by them. Just two weeks ago a story was told that she has a high turn over in staff, which this story seems to dovetail with. This is not a child but a grown woman who has raised a family (and then some)and had an amazing professional life by most people’s standards and I am unlikely not to look at the picture as a whole. I’m also the daughter of a handicapped business man who also medicated for pain. He did pretty well.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Every time I see Romney, I need to take a pill.

Emperor Norton on July 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

But how much do her clothes cost!?!?1!1111!!?!?!?!

SouthernGent on July 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Let’s see……

She has raised her own children and fostered 23 other children. She is a tax attorney who apparently functioned well enough to have had a successful career prior to entering politics. She is one of the most effective ‘retail’ politicians on the scene, travels extensively for her work and makes frequent appearances on TV.

If… if… she has to cope with migraines, she’s doing a remarkable job.

This sounds like more of the typical, misogynistic attack the left does with ease and abandon especially on conservative women.

I suppose the next thing we’ll have is a debate on whether or not her children are really hers, or perhaps she spanked a foster child and not one of her own. Anything will do, won’t it?

Anything is better than having a serious, focused debate on how badly the Putz has damaged the country. That’s a discussion the media will. not. have.

Cody1991 on July 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Bachmann is great. But why expect her to be President if she has chronic Migraine headaches.

Show some mercy,

If you have ever relied on a person subject to migraine headaches that removes them for a day or two from the tasks assigned to them, then you will not want her to act as the president of the USA unless the vice President is available 24/7 to do the job for her.

jimw on July 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Not to mention given his reputation for…using his back with a number of women.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Ouch! LOL

odat on July 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Why don’t these “reporters” ever make a point about all of the estrogen supplements that Obama takes to “keep in touch with his feminine side”?

Danny on July 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I don’t see how this can hurt her. T
he “pill popping” won’t fly….Perry has chronic back issues and just had “minor” back surgery and he’s out and about. You can bet your bottom dollar that he is in pain and is taking some kind of medication for it.
Actually I would worry more about a chronic back issue and all the meds and treatments that entails, rather than an occasional migraine…handled well or not.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

it’s obvious that you’ve never had migraines, they are certainly more than just “headaches”, and yes they can be incapacitating.
Having had them on/off thruout my life, I can tell you that there are no “meds” that can take care of them. Some meds try to prevent the intensity if you take it early enough, some “pain meds” help…if you can keep them down, and afterwards all you want to do is collapse.
I certainly feel MB’s pain, but it seems like she gets them rather frequently, and hasn’t been able to cope with them.
All I can say that if stress triggers these….she is certainly looking for the wrong job.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I’d like to back up what tencole says here.

I get migraines too but not of the severe kind that Bachmann allegedly gets.

However, I do know of a woman who gets migraines so bad that it paralyzes her for a while. So, it is possible to be incapacitated by migraines.

And he’s also right about the pain medications for it. If you take your medicine as soon as you feel it coming on, you can manage it.

The interesting thing about migraines is that there may a genetic component to getting them.

Conservative Samizdat on July 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

So is a person with a migraine. Good lord, you’re comparing confinement to a wheelchair decades ago in a non-handicapped-ready world, to a modern president surrounded by advanced technology in communications. Who do you think had the bigger hindrance?

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

No, you are the one making this comparison. No one else brought up FDR. I am ok with a president who is paralyzed from the neck down as long as his medical condition does not have a high probability of killing him in the short term or incapacitating him regularly.

As the article is written, yes such a thing would be a concern. But the article is most likely misleading and false.

NotCoach on July 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

The more I think about it, the more my dislike of Tucker Carlson grows.

First the Daily Caller published Matt Labash’s sexist anti-Palin crap, and then the private Twitter messages of one of her aides, and then they give that washed-out hack Ziegler a forum.

Now, in a manner truly reminiscent of Politico, they’re going after Bachmann on the basis of anonymous sources using very vague but inflammatory language. Strong seems to implicitly trust all of the anonymous sources, but tries to cast suspicion upon Bachmann’s spokeswoman:

Alice Stewart, a spokeswoman for Bachmann, said ”she suffers from migraines and they’re under control with medicine.” Stewart contested descriptions of the episodes as “incapacitating” Bachmann but did not specify how the descriptions were wrong. “The information you have is incorrect,” Stewart said. She declined to discuss Bachmann’s hospital visits at all, saying, “I’m not going to go into her medical history.”

Whether the story is true or not, it wasn’t very fairly written. I find it really odd that the Daily Caller’s reporters seem to never write stories critical of Republicans from the RINO wing of the party.

steebo77 on July 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Some of the medications are probably vasodilators that she takes when she gets a “warning” symptom – which many migraine sufferers get. Vasodilators don’t impair judgment.

Plus I don’t know of a single migraine sufferer that abuse or become addicted to pain meds – unlike back pain sufferers. Maybe back pain sufferers should be ineligible to run for president along with migraine sufferers.

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM

The addictive pain meds, like opiates? Yeah, they don’t do jaaaaaack shyte for migraine pain. Vasodilators and naproxen all the way, baby. My migraines do affect my cognition if I let them go too far, but not my judgment. I start thinking I’m somewhere in my past and my speech starts slurring. Bachmann won’t launch a first strike if a migraine is getting her, at worst she’ll very obviously look like she is having a stroke, not a psychotic break.

Sekhmet on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

The LSM has just changed targets…again. Was Palin, now Bachmann. She’ll get hammered into the ground and they will move to the next conservative target, leaving the squishes and Rinos alone until the general.

odat on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Who gave Tucker the money to start DC? His daddy?

huckleberryfriend on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

>>> Ed: “I’ve known Bachmann for several years, and I’m only aware of her missing one event (the Blunt appearance) in all of that time.”

Hit piece or not, she needed urgent care center visits at least three times for however long this report indicated, there might be more that’s not reported (and again these might be it). If you don’t think this is a concern for Americans, you are wrong.

Again, after the current clown in WH, fitness to lead would be pretty upmost on people’s minds. Esp. the job of being the POTUS, vs. her current job and campaign. It is one of the ways to sort out the strongest/fittest.

Sir Napsalot on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

That’s not very nice to be giddy over a story like this.

After all the crap we Palinistas have seen Palin put through, we should be more thoughtful to others candidates like Bachmann who will get the Palin Treatment.

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

X100

I’m not a “Palinista” — whatever that is — but I agree totally.

Any (a) conservative or (b) emerging threat to The Won will be Palinized… either before or after the primaries. The only variable is WHEN, not IF…

OnlyOrange on July 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

This crap is going to happen to EVERY conservative woman that runs for office.
I’m certainly not a feminazi-but yeah-there is a double standard.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I agree. I hope the Daily Caller researched this thoroughly before printing it. I am not a Bachmann supporter but this damaged her Presidential campaign and perhaps her political career.

People always remember as charge against a politician and never notice the retraction (if there even is a retraction).

bw222 on July 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

What did you find?

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Peanuts. I can’t have anything that has peanuts, peanut oil, peanut anything. I can’t even have Chick-Fil-A, and their peanut oil is supposed to be refined enough that most allergens are gone. I can’t even drive by a Popeye’s.

Sekhmet on July 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Prove it or let hell rain down.

Speakup on July 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

If this is true, there is no way Bachmann can play enough rounds of golf every week to be qualified as President in our modern age.

This makes her unelectable./

Brian1972 on July 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Who gave Tucker the money to start DC? His daddy?

huckleberryfriend on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

You mean T. Coddington Van Voorhees VI?

steebo77 on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Romney-Rubio or Perry-Rubio can beat Obama.

Bachmann-Anybody can’t.

Nothing else matters.

End of story.

Byron on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Who gave Tucker the money to start DC? His daddy?

huckleberryfriend on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Probably his grandfather or great grandfather. As you are probably aware, Tucker Carlson is an heir to the family that started Swanson TV Dinners.

bw222 on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

It’s a hit piece nothing more… It is no coincidence that this came out right after she took a big lead in Iowa.

jeffn21 on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Just wait’ll they start in on the potential of her nuking some country because she’s PMSing.

Alden Pyle on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Yes or NO?

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Having suffered for years with migraines myself, put myself through college and receiving my Phd while raising my family while working a full time job as a real estate appraiser for 20 years and then running my own business for over 25 years on top of that, I’m going to say NO.

And that source is from myself, not 3 anonymous sources.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Polynath on July 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Oh come on…

You’ve never been seen at a PC facility or had to go to the hospital for migraines? You suffer from them on a regular basis and you’ve never done this? Once every four months (average) is debilitating? I get migraines about every two weeks (if I’m careful with avoiding triggers) and have learned over the years to keep my meds with me so I can take them as soon as I recognize symptoms to keep them from progressing. Even then sometimes it doesn’t work and you have to go in

People who suffer from migraines (as I do) sometimes have to go in for treatment. It’s as simple as that. The meds you have sometimes don’t work or aren’t enough to break the pain cycle and that is all these visits are. I have had to go int to the hospital many times for just this sort of thing.

This isn’t unheard of or even unprecedented

catmman on July 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

People undergoing chemo are heavy on pills as well. I guess that makes them junkies too.

adamsmith on July 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Byron on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I am glad you are so knowledgeable. Perhaps we should just forego the primaries and listen to you. lol.

bw222 on July 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Alden Pyle on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Don’t forget the inevitable accusations of numerous cosmetic surgery procedures. Pick 4 and run with it.

Brian1972 on July 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM

This is a disaster,” said one prominent Polk County Republican. An elected official called it “an embarrassment”. The embarrassing disaster was the result of Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann’s last minute cancellation of her appearance at the Polk County GOP’s Robb Kelley Dinner. Bachmann’s absence turned what should have been a very successful fundraiser into a black eye for herself, her presidential aspirations and the county party.

Over 300 Republicans paid $75 per ticket to meet and listen to Bachmann. Media from around the country, and even as far away as Norway, descended on Des Moines to cover the event. Extra security was arranged. Speculation rose that she might announce a bid for the presidency at the event. Bachmann squashed that rumor the day before. Then, two hours before the event was scheduled to start, she informed Polk County GOP officials she would not be able to attend.The scheduling conflict arose because of a House vote on extending the Patriot Act. Backup plans were made for her to use a private jet. In the end, nothing worked and Bachmann was unable to make it. Instead, she appeared on choppy and blurry Skype-style video. Local Republicans were extremely displeased.

“It’s awful,” said activist Becky Irvin. “She just shot herself in the foot. She dissed Iowa. You don’t diss Iowa.” The Patriot Act extensions passed easily, 250-153. Bachmann’s presence was not vital. However, some attendees gave her the benefit of the doubt. “I don’t like it, but I understand,” said John Kline.

Darrell Kearney, senior finance officer for the Polk County GOP, did his best to put a positive spin on Bachmann’s no-show. “It’s always disappointing when you have a speaker who commits but then cancels……

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

My advice to Michelle Bachmann, if she hasn’t tried it already, is to stock up on water and rice crackers, and go on an elimination diet. Yeah, I didn’t believe in it either until my ulcer forced me into it. If after a week or so of crackers and water, your head isn’t any better, fine. But if the migraines clear, add foods back one at a time. You may be surprised what your trigger turns out to be. It may be something to which you have never before shown a sensitivity, but there it is! If you can find it and avoid it, your life will be sooooooooo much better.

Sekhmet on July 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

And that source is from myself, not 3 anonymous sources.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Good enough for me.

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Who claimed that she’s confined to bed? Just because she wants to lie down when she has a migraine doesn’t mean that she’s confined to bed.

Someone willing to miss a meeting with a city school board official isn’t necessarily unable to rush to the White House SitRoom and preside over a crisis.

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I was reluctant to wade into this thread to begin with and probably should not have. I have tried to point out several times I do not believe the article. But unfortunately people will assume I do based on my posts. So let me say it again: I DO NOT TRUST THIS ARTICLE!

My comments are a general analogy of what I consider acceptable in terms of health for our president. This article, as written, would raise concerns in my mind about any presidential candidate.

NotCoach on July 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

End of story.

Byron on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I hope you’ve made bets based on that information, since it’s so conclusive.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Wouldn’t it be nice if the media investigated Obama’s medical records with the same intensity? How is his smoking addiction anyway? Can we see x-rays of his lungs? We, the people, need to know these things of the current occupant of the WH; you know, the one who can sign executive orders now.

While they’re at it, how about his transcripts complete with instructors and grades, papers, that speech with Kahlidi in LA? In the meantime, let’s get numerous anonymous statements ON THE RECORD!@@!!#@@!1! about Michelle Bachmann’s migraine issues. Puhleeaze.

conservative pilgrim on July 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

You mean T. Coddington Van Voorhees VI?

steebo77 on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I’ll admit-I laughed.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I thought the more suspicious line was that she gets them whenever she gets a piece of bad news. If they are truly terrible and take her out for days at a time, it will be obvious in the campaign. Otherwise she’s managing the condition just fine.

“They do this to all women” is true; but I’d still like to see more ordinary conservative pushback against similar garbage such as “she’s just in it for the money”, which if you haven’t already noticed is a big sexist slam. Men can earn money, even lots of money without question, but women are golddiggers. Let’s not let this continue.

alwaysfiredup on July 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

o, if she becomes President, she may not get to play as much golf as her predecessor.

faraway on July 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

If there is any substance to this story, how many House votes has Bachmann missed due to migraines? As one of 435 House members, somebody just might notice if Bachmann didn’t show up for House votes or committee meetings, and Congressional roll calls are public records.

Anonymous sources = tabloid journalism.

Steve Z on July 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

The current POTUS is known to disappear for days while under stress, delegating authority to others and throwing tantrums when confronted. What is a headache compared to that?

Bishop on July 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM

You just don’t get it…it’s more than “just a headache”. Obviously you’ve never had a migraine….it knocks you on your butt…BIGTIME!
You try to figure out what triggers them….some never find out…and try to stay away from those triggers.
Once you feel it coming on you take medication to try to prevent/lessen it.
When that doesn’t work, you take the pain meds, flop into bed under the covers in a darkened room, praying that the nausea doesn’t overtake you and that the pills stay down.
When it’s all done and over with,you feel like a wet towel and all you want to do is sleep, sleep, and sleep some more…that’s almost as debilitating as the headache itself.

I would think that the times MB went to the urgent care it was to get “stronger” pain medication and medication to help the nausea and then went home to sleep it off.

Believe me Bishop…if you’d ever had one..you would NEVER think of it as just a “headache”.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I think The Daily Caller just destroyed its brand a little today.

faraway on July 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

adamsmith on July 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

No, but I wouldn’t want a president on chemo. I’d say take care of yourself and we’ll see you in four years.

alwaysfiredup on July 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Thank God for triptan-type medications.

That’s all I have to say about that.

catmman on July 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM

We have one now that’s paralyzed above the neck.

dogsoldier on July 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Watch out! You might be getting giddy….

idesign on July 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Is Tucker Carlson related to these guys?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

” I knew it! It’s the crazy eyes. She looks like she’s hypnotized when she’s trying to not answer a direct question”

-Chris Matthews

Brian1972 on July 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Govtrack.us says Michele Bachmann missed 206 (5%) of 4,130 roll call votes since Jan 4, 2007.

For comparision, Gabrielle Giffords missed 669 (16%) of 4,130 roll call votes since Jan 4, 2007.

And Barack Obama missed 314 (24%) of 1,300 roll call votes since Jan 6, 2005.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I call it bull.

Almost everybody here knows about my neuro issues. I get strong headaches/borderline migraines for “lady” issues a couple of days in a row. I am under the treatment of a neurologist for seizures which are under total control (Thank God!.) I’ve been MRI’d, wired, and I’ve talked to my neuro about my headaches a couple of times. He gave me ONCE a med to try but he told me as soon as I feel it coming to take one.

As to prescription meds of migraines I can’t attest to that but it is highly unlikely. A neuro can work this out with a patient STAT.

I don’t “see” her getting these migraines; some of the really bad ones can cause nausea and vomiting. My personal remedy:

Excedrin Migraine, Icy Hot on the forehead, darkness, and a bandanna strongly tied up where the pain is pulsating. Rotate it as the pulse moves, and the worst case scenario-Tiger Balm instead of Icy Hot.

Suxs when the pain is on the right eyeball.

ProudPalinFan on July 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

That’s great that you discovered it. So, if you avoid peanuts and peanut oil how frequently do you get migraines compared to the frequency prior to your discovery?

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM

About every other month or so. And the ones I get are not remotely as bad. My husband gets them more frequently than I do now.

Sekhmet on July 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

faraway on July 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I already said that.

You must have been incapacitated a couple dozen comments ago.

Brian1972 on July 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Hopefully she already went through the ‘change’-otherwise that will probably be brought up too.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Actually, that could be a plus. I did 5 yrs with the”change”. The Middle East would have surrendered if I had been POTUS.
It’s a miracle no one shot me.

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

that the pills stay down.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Auto-injector, baby.

Never leave home without it.

catmman on July 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM

And Barack Obama missed 314 (24%) of 1,300 roll call votes since Jan 6, 2005.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

How many times did he vote “present” when he was there? Just curious.

Does anyone think he actually read the legislation in question?

dogsoldier on July 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I have migraines. Mine are debilitating – they can knock me off my feet for a couple of days at a time. However, there is no evidence that Michelle Bachmann has been even below average in the performance of her duties as a Congresswoman AND there are few occurrences where the President doesn’t delegate. What would be the decision requiring no input from his or her Cabinet coupled with immediate action? She would certainly be able to pull it together to direct the actions of others.

Bachmann is not my first choice, but I think this is a lousy attempt at a smear and yet another example of yellow journalism from the DC.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM

There are so many perfectly correct and indisputable reasons to remove this lady from consideration. Why in the world must idiots invent phoney ones?

MJBrutus on July 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Suxs when the pain is on the right eyeball.

ProudPalinFan on July 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Sounds more like a ‘cluster’ headache than a migraine.

I like Excedrin for a regular headache.

catmman on July 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Heh the ad on the right is for a med on headaches; lady with a hand on the forehead.

Incredible when I am looking for a car’s specs, car ads appear everywhere. Creepy.

ProudPalinFan on July 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Like someone on Twitter said last night, wait until the Daily Caller hears about FDR!

It's Vintage, Duh on July 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM

she needed urgent care center visits at least three times …

Sir Napsalot on July 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Please define the word, “needed”. Does the term “needed urgent care center visits really mean ‘made the decision to visit urgent care centers’?

blink on July 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Yes blink….she “needed” those visits…..for stronger pain medication. The ones you get IV/IM.
I’m not judging…I’m just a fellow migraine sufferer and feel her pain.
She would think that she could certainly “handle” these in the white house under a personal physician. I would think that it could be handled very descretely while in the Oval Office.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM

The sourcing on this story doesn’t instill much confidence, either. Strong’s cites are:
a former aide says.
three people who have worked closely with Bachmann
an adviser to Bachmann who was involved in her 2010 congressional campaign.
The former aide says …
the adviser says.

Very true but ED the story also has Bachmann’s spokeswoman confirming the fact that she has migranes and is being treated for them:

So the fact that she gets migranes and uses medication to control them is fact confirmed by Bachmann herself.

What the story and Bachmann camp disagree on is the “incapacitating” part.

If I had to bet one of the annoymous sources is Bachmann’s former CoS that is now working for Timmy. He is on record as saying he does not think Bachmann is qualified for the job and that her office is disorganized.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Suxs when the pain is on the right eyeball.

ProudPalinFan on July 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Related…

Palin causes blood vessel to burst

idesign on July 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Thanks for the info; will look that up.

ProudPalinFan on July 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I think The Daily Caller just destroyed its brand a little today.

faraway on July 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Who are they pushing this story for?

I think MittCo is dropping stories through Conservative media.

portlandon on July 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM

ProudPalinFan on July 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Those aren’t migraines you are having, it’s the internet planting itself in your subconscious for marketing purposes. :)

Brian1972 on July 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM

You must have been incapacitated a couple dozen comments ago.

Brian1972 on July 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

hehe

faraway on July 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Isn’t the Daily Caller a conservative site? If so, I can see this piece in only one way. It’s sexism.

It was obvious when Dems trashed Hillary in favor of Obama, and now hit pieces from a conservative site? Seems to me that there are men out there (NOT ALL) but some, who really, really don’t want to see a female in the oval office. Unless she’s a wife, or concubine. *sigh*

capejasmine on July 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It’s a miracle no one shot me.

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I started at 34, am almost 41…and it’s STILL not over.
It’s kind of amazing that my husband has ANY hair left. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I suspect that The Daily Caller is having financial problems.

faraway on July 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM

This is Romney’s doing? Can put the “Bachmann is Romney’s stalking horse” narrative to bed now? Or is this another reverse-reverse-reverse psychology tactic?

csdeven on July 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Isn’t the Daily Caller a conservative site?

capejasmine on July 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Not really. I consider it a center right/establishment Republican site that features a couple of conservative contributors among it’s many other not-so-conservative Republican leaning contributors.

Brian1972 on July 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I think The Daily Caller just destroyed its brand a little today.

faraway on July 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I just unsubscribed to their daily DC links e-mails I get every morning from them.

Hit them where it hurts, in their wallets.

Knucklehead on July 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

So nice of the Daily Caller to do the hatchet work for the Dems.

changer1701 on July 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Anybody who sees Bachmann atop the strongest possible GOP ticket is living in some parallel universe.

If I’m a Dem operative, I dream of her being nominated. Better than Dole, better than McCain, beyond my hopes. Intelligent Design, end of days, the whole package of distraction targets, debilitating headaches — and it’s only July of 2011! Life is indeed good.

I’ve never doubted the GOP’s ability to hand an election to the Democrats, and Bachmann is the way to do it.

Byron on July 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Romney-Rubio or Perry-Rubio can beat Obama.

Bachmann-Anybody can’t.

Nothing else matters.

End of story.

Byron on July 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Actually Bachmann does slightly better against Obama than Perry.

Jon0815 on July 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM

oh honey…get used to it.

Did you think that the “lousy smears” and “yellow journalism” wouldn’t happen just because Palin isn’t in the race yet?…that they only do this to Palin?
This will only get worse and it won’t be pretty….yes I’m talking to you Maher.

Y-not…..Welcome to Palin’s world.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM

This is the beginning of the Pink Cowboy campaign.

Falz on July 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Watch out! You might be getting giddy….

idesign on July 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

No i was just correcting ED. He stated he knew of only one event she canceled. i linked to another event she canceled at the last minute. and the event was recent and caused many people to scratch their heads over, mine included. The patriot vote sailed throough the hoouse. Her vote wasn’t needed. Her yes vote on the patriot angered many TEA party people.

At the time I thought she canceled because she wasn’t sure about running and wanted to tamp down expectations. But with this story I don’t know. the fact her spokeswoman confirmed the medical condition and that Bachmann’s camp is only argueing over the severity of the attacks is another concern.

I doubt they are as bad as the story is making out but I also doubt they are as mellow as the Bachmann camp is claiming. most likely somewhere in between.

unseen on July 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Isn’t the Daily Caller a conservative site?

It’s a GOP establishment site, so this hit is probably coming from supporters of one of the two establishment candidates, Romney or Perry. The timing makes more sense if the goal is to help Perry.

Jon0815 on July 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Do you simply assume that all migraine sufferers are exactly like you? Migraines don’t hit everyone equally. It’s strange that you assume they do.

blink on July 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM

You’re right I don’t “know for sure”, but reading the comments from multiple co-workers/staff members and her documented “trips” to the urgent cares….I think every one here assumes the same thing.
Why else would anyone go to the urgent care with a migraine?
I’m not judging…I sympathize.
I do speak from experience…not only as a migraine sufferer, but also as an RN who has treated such patients.

tencole on July 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Actually Bachmann does slightly better against Obama than Perry.

She should be doing a lot better, since Perry hasn’t even declared, or appeared in a debate, or done much of anything to this point.

But she isn’t.

Say goodnight, Michele.

Byron on July 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

oh honey…get used to it.

I’m not sure what your point is. I said nothing to indicate that this smear was unique to Bachmann and I certainly didn’t bring up Palin.

Perry’s my man the instant he enters the race. And, yes, I’m braced for the “Perry’s a bible-thumping creationist” stuff that they’ll roll out.

Y-not on July 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM