Sarah Palin’s PAC hauls in more than $1.6 million in first half

posted at 8:40 pm on July 14, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Fundraising prowess is a key characteristic for any potential presidential candidate to possess. So, does Sarah Palin have it? Depends on how you interpret recently released numbers. Her political action committee, SarahPAC, today reported raising $1.65 million in the first half of 2011 — with a total of 36,700 contributions from more than 24,000 contributors.

That money couldn’t be put toward a presidential campaign, but, as Michael O’Brien over at The Hill put it, “the haul reflects the extent of Palin’s latent support that could be converted into support for a White House bid.” The bare number doesn’t sound particularly impressive in light of what other candidates have raised. It doesn’t even sound particularly impressive compared to what another non-candidate has raised: Americans for Rick Perry raised $400,000 in just a few weeks.

But the number of contributors matters and what Palin was able to do with the money also matters. Palin spent $1.59 million in the past six months. SarahPAC Treasurer Tim Crawford declined to say exactly how the money was used beyond noting donations to candidates ($65,000) and to the Young America’s Foundation ($18,700), but it seems safe to assume some of it went toward the One Nation bus tour, which garnered all kinds of attention from the media and the public. Based on her return on investment on that, Palin knows how to stretch a dollar to her advantage.

Perhaps more importantly, her performance and popularity as the GOP vice presidential nominee in 2008 surely reassures her about her own ability to excite the base. The John McCain campaign undoubtedly picked up once he added Palin to his ticket (even though correlation does not equal causation, of course). Admittedly, she would face obstacles this time around that she didn’t then. Back then, donors and voters who didn’t know Palin presumably took time to “learn” her. Today, almost everybody seems to think they know her — even if all they know is the caricature.

But the point is, a Palin campaign wouldn’t suffer for lack of money. She’d be in a similar or slightly better position than most of the GOP field, all of whose donations have suffered from a down economy and the split decisions among donors this early in the game. As Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus put it, “I don’t think anyone is going to lose an election in 2012 for president for lack of funds. I think we’re going to have total saturation on both sides of the aisle.”

On that note of “total saturation on both sides” and to remember what will decide this upcoming election far more than money, check out this post by Commentary’s Alana Goodman for some fundraising numbers you won’t hear from the Obama campaign.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

^ By the way, how’s Pawlenty doing these days. ricky?

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM

promachus on July 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Yes. This.

And really most of the comments I’ve seen on other sites have been just like mine…ie, they’re holding their wallets and purses until the campaign launches.

powerpro on July 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Yes. Why would a sane person shoot the wad on a PAC with the potential to force multiply the effect by donating directly to her campaign coffers should she run?

There is an inherent latency in the flow of funds in this situation because of the wall which separates PACs from campaigns. Total No-brainer.

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Well, I see I’m not the only one who has Sarah cash burning a hole in my pocket. I just can’t wait to spend it!!

Run, Sarah!

pannw on July 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Geo, Geo, Geo… you know she’s running ;~) and it IS going to be a monster bomb the day she declares. It will send shockwaves through the political world and the financial world. <rubs hands together gleefully> I can hardly wait ~ but I will.

greeneyedconservative on July 14, 2011 at 11:30 PM

As comparison, Bachmann has raised 2 million as a declared political candidate and Huntsman has 4 million. Palin herself neither declared nor has fundraised aggressively.

promachus on July 14, 2011 at 10:17 PM

A good chunk of Huntsman’s haul must be from his dad. I can’t imagine he actually doubled Bachmann’s take after the boomlet she’s been enjoying lately.

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM

like a majority of those posting here I’ve contributed to Sarahpac and am now keeping my powder dry waiting for her announcement.

The hum of the Sarah detractors is reminiscent of the LSM and their spluttering explosions at anything Sarah. I actually find it hilarious……to a point.

donh525 on July 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I have thousands of dollars rat holed for Sarah Palin. You oil men out there know what than means. Announce and release.

Jocundus on July 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I really must come to Buy Danish’s defense here. Buy Danish is a HotAir member of long standing and at least has many admirable views on most subjects other than Gov. Palin.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM

What Cindy said. BD is good people.

Knucklehead on July 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

What Cindy said. BD is good people.

Knucklehead on July 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I’ve never agreed with her on anything save Michele Bachmann on occasion, and she does tend to sound like she thinks she’s smartest one in the room. But she’s by no means the worst around here. KG is definitely becoming tiresome.

alwaysfiredup on July 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Knucklehead on July 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I have taken back my mental ruminations that so unfortunately spilled out onto the thread. And, I have apologized to BD who graciously accepted.n

greeneyedconservative on July 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Knucklehead on July 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I take it back. Should have read the thread first. She’s being extremely reasonable tonight and there’s no need for my snark.

alwaysfiredup on July 15, 2011 at 12:07 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I thought I was the smartest person in the room! BIG OLE ///

Cindy Munford on July 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Cindy Munford on July 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM

LOL!!

greeneyedconservative on July 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM

greeneyedconservative on July 14, 2011 at 11:30 PM

As a trained observer I am trying to remain stoic so as not to let my raw emotions taint my thinking; but admittedly that is getting to be damn near impossible; and to even make the claim of walling off these two intertwined compartments of thought seems dishonest. And your unbridled enthusiasm is not helping much either; gosh darn you. :)

When in battle, once engaged hand to hand, the strength of emotions can empower you beyond any ratiocination. Our crazed passions is what its going to take to bring down the Obama machine.

Geochelone on July 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Geochelone on July 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM

I’m sorry – I can’t help myself. Glad I might be able to mess up your modus operandi ;-)

greeneyedconservative on July 15, 2011 at 12:29 AM

I too have never contributed to Palin’s PAC, and will contribute to her presidential fund once she gets in. I think there is a lot of untapped fundraising potential for her out there.

alwaysfiredup on July 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM

There’s an awful lot of that going around… Thinking of putting together a pool on her first day as an announced candidate. Where to start… hmmm…

greeneyedconservative on July 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM

What Cindy said. BD is good people.

Knucklehead on July 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Buy Danish is good people..:)

Dire Straits on July 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Looks as if Tina’s getting the fevah … 2 positive Palin posts in one day.

gh on July 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I think Allah gave Tina the Palin beat. I don’t think he ever liked it and I’m sure he didn’t appreciate all the crap he caught from people.

trigon on July 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Count me also among those with a check ready to go as soon as Palin announces. I’ve contributed to her PAC in the past (recently, in fact) but I’m saving the big one for her presidential campaign. :o))))

NoLeftTurn on July 15, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Ok now see i don’t like double standards. When Mitt and Bachmann reported about the same numbers. Mitt around 1.8m for his PAC and Bachmann reported 500,000 for her PAC with about a 1.5m haul for her personal political committe, We were told how that made Mitt and Bachmann major threats because of their fundraising ability. Now Palin raises $1.65 million and Tina says it doesn’t sound particular impresssive. And she cites Perry raising $400,000. hmmm $400,000 is < $1.6 m just so we are clear. tina cites the time frame but Gov Palin did not really start fundraising until the tail end of May when she had her first mail campiagn during her Bus Tour.

Also it appears ALL of Palin's fundraising came from small donations. 24,000 people giving an avg of $50 is what people refer to as grass roots. this isn't Mitt and/or Perry who has a couple of big donnors nor huntsman/mitt self finaincing.

This is also a PAC not a presidential haul. If we compare apples to apples Palin's PAC numbers are in the same place as Mitt's PAC numbers were before he announced, three times better than Bachmann's before she announed and are 4 times better than Perry's. Stop with the double standards.

unseen on July 15, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Looks as if Tina’s getting the fevah … 2 positive Palin posts in one day.

gh on July 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM

hmmm this isn’t a positive post. this is an attempt to spin great PAC numbers as something not so great. Palin raise 200,000 less for her PAC than the frontrunner Mitt who we were told was the findraisng king.

24,000 grassroots supporters is a very big number for any PAC…

unseen on July 15, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Bachmann’s fundraising bombed. Her Presidential haul was only $2 million that is $2million less than Timmy. And is almost equal to a non declared candidates PAC. Bachmann only Raised about $500,000 for her PAC before she declared and it shows in her Presidential fundraising

unseen on July 15, 2011 at 2:38 AM

24,000 grassroots supporters is a very big number for any PAC…

unseen on July 15, 2011 at 2:33 AM

You are absolutely correct. It will makes such a huge difference when she declares. All this talk about if she doesn’t jump in soon she’ll miss all the big donors. HA! We’ll more than make up for it. Those are 24,000 folks that are NOT keeping their powder dry which I estimate are a mere fraction of what we’ll see when the time comes. Too many folks just do not realize the lasting impact of those of us who were thrown under the bus with Hillary, who are now avid and enthusiastic supporters of Sarah. Yes, yes… Hillary and Sarah are miles (I’m talking millions of miles) apart, and I wish I could explain the whole phenomenon, but I can’t. Nonetheless, that whole debacle woke a whole bunch (thousands and possibly millions) of us up from our trance. What’s that saying… Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned? More like a badazz bear awoken from hibernation. Yeah, that.

It also doesn’t matter what Palin does good, bad or ugly, it’s all reported or inflated as anything but good (unless of course it’s perceived or spun as good for the other side). All that does for some of us is strengthen our resolve.

The PAC will look like child’s play when all is said and done.

Have a good night.

greeneyedconservative on July 15, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Sarah Palin documentary sells out Grapevine, Texas

The Undefeated,” a glowing look at failed vice-presidential candidate and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has already sold out a show in Grapevine, Texas (population 46,000), according to the distributor Cinedigm.

Grapevine isn’t exactly a teeming metropolis but the film is set to roll out across Tea Party country in 10 AMC theaters.

In addition to Grapevine, the documentary by conservative filmmaker Stephen K. Bannon will expand to Indianapolis, Ind.; Independence, Mo.; Kennesaw, Ga.; Houston, Texas; Orlando, Fla.; Oklahoma City, Okla.; Highlands Ranch, Colo.; Phoenix, Ariz.; and Orange, Calif.

unseen on July 15, 2011 at 4:06 AM

The PAC will look like child’s play when all is said and done.

Have a good night.

greeneyedconservative on July 15, 2011 at 2:56 AM

agreed. The double standards are old and worn out. when bachmann and mitt reported the same level of numbers it was reported as great news for both candidates. Now that Palin reports the same numbers it is considered so so news. Timmy reported 100k for his PAC Yet at the time he was considered a frontrunner.

My support for Palin started because I saw her and her govenor style as a Reaganite. the trashing of her by the mitt supporters and the GOp establishment confirmed it.

unseen on July 15, 2011 at 4:10 AM

That’s true, so you need other facts that support causation. I offer one: At first, McCain and Palin would appear at separate events, presumably to cover more ground. When it became apparent that the crowds at Palin’s events were dwarfing those at McCain’s, they started appearing together.

Kafir on July 15, 2011 at 7:13 AM

Once she announces , Gov. Palin will see an influx of money to her presidential campaign coffers that will make headline news everywhere and catapult her to front of the runner line (she’s gonna do great in the debates). If she runs. Which she’d better, cuz I have a nice chunk of loose change I really really want to send her way when she announces her candidacy–one of the bravest, most fearless acts every to be undertaken by a women in my lifetime.

RepubChica on July 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM

women=woman (there’s only one) ;-)

RepubChica on July 15, 2011 at 7:46 AM

I know you think you’re being really in-your-face/boisterous, but nobody does a more cringe-inducing arrogant internet guffaw than you. I guess you don’t realize it, but it’s really embarrassing. Don’t try to be cool. It just doesn’t work or you.

Dongemaharu on July 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

The real question is: WHY in goodness name are you so obsessed with me?

csdeven on July 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I’m also a small contributor waiting patiently to write another check on Aug 3 (my prediction).

sleepy-beans on July 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

In my 58 years, I’ve never given a cent to any political campaign, or to any political cause. But if Palin announces she is running, I will immediately send the maximum $2,500 to her primary campaign. If she wins the nomination I will also contribute the maximum to her presidential campaign.

Am I one-of-a-kind? Or are there a lot of people like me who see in Palin something we’ve never seen before and will dig deep for the first time in our lives?

Damned if I know. But if she announces, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if tons of money start pouring in.

Steve Keeley on July 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM
Steve, You are not one of a kind. I first heard of Sarah Palin in 2001 when we stumbled across Wasilla, on an Alaskan vacation. The town was booming, and we heard about this dynamic, down to earth young lady mayor who was for the people.

Been donating to her ever since McCain pulled her in. Give her $100 or so, whenever I feel down about some stupidity in DC. Happens a lot.

I’m waiting now for the announcement and the money bomb. Will end up investing $5000 more in her, I’m sure.

PS – you can get a copy of The Undefeated if you give $100 to SarahPac now (yeah, an expensive DVD, but hey, for a good cause, as they say).

Jimmy Doolittle on July 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM

***Mammy and I will strongly consider taking out a personal loan to contribute as much as we can legally to her campaign (if/when) she announces. It’s THAT IMPORTANT to get this Country back (to our kids and unborn grandkids).

PappyD61 on July 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Meanwhile, on planet reality, Obama raises 86 Million.

hanzblinx on July 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Meanwhile, on planet reality, Obama raises 86 Million.

hanzblinx on July 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Made you pop a nut, didn’t it?

darwin on July 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I will send the max when she announces.

ReneePA on July 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM

She spent it on her stamp licking parents lol.

n fact, a report filed Thursday afternoon with the Federal Election Commission shows that Sarah PAC continues to rely on a small inner circle of staffers, supplemented by short-term help from a motley network of supporters and neighbors that includes Palin’s parents, Chuck and Sally Heath.

The former Alaska governor’s parents received $3,200 from the PAC in January for “correspondence and card mailing.”

hanzblinx on July 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM

hanzblinx on July 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Man, you guys have got her dead to rights now. Finally, after three years, the magic bullet that is going to put a stop to all this Palin nonsense. /

Kataklysmic on July 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM

She spent it on her stamp licking parents lol.

hanzblinx on July 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM

You are not good at math, or much else it seems.
The arrogant ignorance is astonishing sometimes.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM