Palin suggests August or September might be right for an announcement

posted at 10:45 am on July 14, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In case you missed the video of Sarah Palin on Sean Hannity’s show last night, which Allah posted in “Quotes of the Day,” Palin suggested in that appearance that August or September might be the right time to launch a campaign for the GOP presidential nomination.

“You know, August and September, you do have to start laying out a plan if you are to be one to throw your hat in the ring, so that’s basically the time frame,” Palin told Sean Hannity during an appearance Wednesday night on Fox News. …

Asked about her recent comment to Newsweek that she could win a general election, Palin said that while does believe that she could beat President Obama, she would also consider supporting another Republican candidate — if she felt that he or she met certain requirements that she looks for in a national leader.

“I’m not wholly confident that we have that field set yet, that that one individual is in the field,” Palin said. “So I’m still thinking about being one that would offer myself up in the name of service, knowing confidently that I have those commonsense, fiscally conservative, pro-private sector experience and ideas that can be put to good work for this country.”

Those provocative comments came amid her smart commentary on the debt ceiling debate, in which the former Alaska governor had harsh words to say about President Barack Obama’s executive ability, most notably, his seeming inability to prioritize properly.

“We cannot afford to back off and hand him a white flag saying, ‘Here Mr. President, we trust you, you take over, you do it’ because our president has failed in that area,” she continued.

And though there’s blame to go around, for Palin, the buck stops with Obama.

“Our president … essentially suggested the other day that he’s not able to prioritize, as the chief executive of our nation he can’t prioritize,” she stated.

Palin always appears to me in her best light in these Skype-like sessions on Fox, with an Alaskan backdrop behind her. While she wouldn’t have to fight the debt ceiling fight, her willingness to repeatedly comment on what has dominated headlines for weeks — and the way in which she has done it — stacks up well against the approaches of the other top-tier candidates and potential candidates. When she said she didn’t think it was “necessarily the case” that economic catastrophe would result if the debt ceiling isn’t raised, she didn’t sound nearly as firm as Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) did just days ago, when Bachmann flat-out said Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner was “wrong … wrong … wrong” about the threat of default … but neither did she seek to avoid the issue entirely, as Mitt Romney seems to be doing (with the possible exception of a Twitter tiff between his camp and Obama’s). As a result, she came across as highly in touch but still slightly removed from the fray, somehow simultaneously down-to-earth and sophisticated. Again, she always seems at her best against that Alaskan backdrop.

My favorite quote comes early in the interview: “Our country was built on a strong foundation of reward for work ethic and development of our natural resources and we have the complete opposite direction under Obama with both those cornerstones.”

Nothing better than when a politician brings it back to basics. And, I know, that’s what Palin is known for, but I thought she did it exceptionally well last night.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 10:36 PM

It might trigger an investigation due to the odd coincidence of the name alone but I am confident that it would most likely run cold. Don’t mean to get involved in serious slander against another poster outside of joking around about it. I take a page out of Newton; I frame not hypothesis.

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Main page top headline over at Red State: “Palin.”

Palin.

Posted by Ben Howe (Profile)

Thursday, July 14th at 9:49PM EDT

“It’s been almost three years since I, along with many others, was introduced to Governor Sarah Palin. In that time we have been saturated with coverage of her and just about everybody on the left and the right, has had the opportunity to get to know who she is and what they think of her.

At least that’s what I thought.”

“Ultimately, I thought she was the type of political force that was going to be around, needed to be treaded on carefully, but would never have anything substantial to offer to the cause of conservatism other than rallying troops which I still believed was a valuable service.

I thought she hadn’t gotten a fair shake in the media, but I felt confident that I could see through the bias and that I understood who she was, what she had done and what my opinion would probably be about her going forward.

I was entirely incorrect.”

Very interesting article. The link is below.

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

ps: Note, its a joke. Not suggesting anyone on HA would do such a thing with no other facts than the odd coincidence of a name. It might however open up a trail of investigation that may or may not run cold.

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Yes, of course. I’m sure that our Hollowpoint is not that Hollow Point (well, as sure as one can be about an anonymous online poster one has never met). Just thought the coincidence was funny. Besides, if any Hot Air poster were to send threatening letters to Palin, my money would be on a certain someone else.

steebo77 on July 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

steebo77 on July 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Sure, I didn’t mean to imply that your post was in any way out of line. It is easily seen as a “tongue in cheek” kind of statement; and I understood it within that framework.

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Just a thought. Has anyone considered that explanation?

PappyD61 on July 14, 2011 at 7:01 PM

The explanation has been in the public domain and was raised even before her resignation. The timing of her resignation might well have been based more on the legal constraints of a POTUS run than most other factors thrown into the mix; or at least that constraint imposed itself on her timing more than most believe.

Granted bankruptcy can weigh heavy on ones soul but if I know anything about Palin at all it’s that she is a long range planner with a great eye for the big picture.

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 8:06 PM

That’s why I was wondering. If she quit July 28th, 2009 she’d be able to declare July 29, 2011 in time for a late entry into the race. If she served a full term and left office….well she could be dogged by ethics complaints all the way through 2012.

Like was said, she’s got to be a planner and a visionary.

We’ll see.

PappyD61 on July 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Very interesting article. The link is below.

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

It is. Here’s the best quote from it, in my opinion:

As Breitbart points out in the film, the greatest shame is that while this woman was savaged to degrees you may not even realize yet, some of us sat back and let it happen. For me to buy into the media template and not defend someone who’s only offense was being a conservative, is the absolute antithesis of what I stand for, and something that I shall never allow to happen again.

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Good read. Another interesting excerpt:

I pride myself on my ability to know when something is baloney, almost instinctively. On Sarah Palin, I was so incredibly hoodwinked that the one word that my wife and I agreed described how we felt after watching it, was shame. Yes of course invigoration, satisfaction and all the other things you experience when watching a good film, but about how we had handled our vetting of Mrs. Palin, shame was the word that best described it.

Kataklysmic on July 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Kataklysmic on July 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM

It seems that for the last 2 1/2 years, Governor Palin has been leading the fight for the political opposition to the President and the Democrats. She has been relentless in attacking the President, and taking the heat for standing up against him. She has rejected the notion of not responding to attacks against her, and is always on the offensive in the policy debate. She strikes and strikes hard, as exemplified in her most recent Facebook post on the debt ceiling.

The Republican party should have the same posture as the US Military in combat, that is, always on the offensive. This is how wars are won. You have to take the fight to the enemy. Even when Palin was being accused of inciting the murderer in Tucson, Republicans were telling her that she should not respond; and even worse, not one prominent Republican, most of whom she campaigned hard for during the last election season, and clearly helped them win, bothered to say one word in her defense. This is simply disgraceful, cowardly, and pathetic. They seem to want Palin to campaign for them; to rally the troops to vote for them; to raise and donate money to their campaigns; but according to her quote in the Newsweek article, afterward do not want to be publicly, or even privately, associated with her. These politicians fear one entity – the main stream media.

Failing to respond to attacks in today’s political climate has no benefit, except to the Democrats, as so many people today, are so ignorant and unable to think critically that they only believe the last person they heard in a given situation.

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Kataklysmic on July 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM

A female friend of mine actually shed tears when I informed her that Palin never said “I can see Russia from my House.” I told her that it was Tina Fey who said that.

So embarrassed at getting duped was she that tears welled up in her eyes. But then it got worse.

When I told her that Palin was a Reaganite, (my female friend is a native Californian alive during the Reagan years and she loved Reagan) that is when tears ran down her cheeks.

She was so mad at herself for falling for the MSM BS.

Sure this story is anecdotal; but I submit this is what did happen and should be split apart from other anecdotal BS that is posted here in which small samples of experience get extrapolated into grandiose themes.

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM

It’s typical that the point is lost on you. I’ll explain it one more time……

I find it odd that I can force you people to obsess over me, but cannot force you to send me money.

csdeven on July 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM

To be honest the only thing I don’t get is why you play this whole “you are all obsessed with me!” shtick. I really don’t. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I know you are just trolling, but you’ve come up with better themes than this previously. Bring out your A game if you are going to troll, right now you just look like the average left-winger. You can do better.

Irritable Pundit on July 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM

The people that are impressed by Palin were real impressed with Fred Thompson four years ago.

They really go in for the celebrity thing.

It worked so well for Fred Thompson, and he didn’t even have quit his office on his record.

Moesart on July 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM

The press has done such a masterful job at tearing her down and labeling her as stupid that I have to work to listen to what she is saying instead of how she is saying it.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Very interesting poll results here today, from the LA Times.

“Sarah Palin, Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann are surging in Iowa, according to a recent American Research Group poll of Republican voters.

Rep. Bachmann (R-Minn.) received 21% of the nods from the poll of 600 likely Republican caucus voters, followed by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who came in second with 18%. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), who Wednesday said he wasn’t “cut out to be in politics,” came in a respectable third place with 14%.

But Palin’s results were impressive. In April a similar poll found her receiving only 4%, but now a similar group of Iowans put her in fourth place in the most recent results with 11%. Not bad for someone who hasn’t even officially tossed her hat into the ring.

In April Bachman received only 9%, while Paul had only garnered 3% support. In just a few short months they find themselves in good positions.

The losers in poll have got to be businessman Herman Cain and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, each who received just 2% support from those polled. What’s worse is both men tied with gentlemen who haven’t even officially announced their candidacy: former mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and Texas governor Rick Perry.

The poll was conducted between July 5 and Monday, and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.”

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Moesart on July 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM

So who are you pulling for in 2012? Obama? Why don’t you grow a pair someday and start actually, you know, defending the candidate of your choice instead of your hermit-crab snarks in Palin threads? I know that might be a little more difficult, but give it a try sometime.

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I agree. That strategy certainly did Bush no favors. If Palin had remained silent, the meme that she was somehow responsible for the Tucson shootings would be even more pervasive.

She was so mad at herself for falling for the MSM BS.

Geochelone on July 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I applaud your friend. It’s too bad she chose not to keep herself better informed, but at least she is secure enough to admit she had been duped. I have corrected Palin’s record with a few friends and it usually doesn’t go well. It just turns into a “yeah, but” session. Debating friends or family is like surgery. If they are insecure and you corner them into debating a position they know in their heart is incorrect, the emotional need to be right eclipses all reason and they become more entrenched than ever in a belief they know is false.

Kataklysmic on July 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I think Moesart is a Mitt supporter. And like most Mitt supporters, they are too ashamed to admit it.

Moesart can correct me if I am wrong.

Kataklysmic on July 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Moesart can correct me if I am wrong.

Kataklysmic on July 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Probably. I’m always reminded of William Jacobson’s put-down of a resident Palinophobe at his Legal Insurrection blog:

You just can’t accept that not everyone who is “smart and sensible” (your phrase) agrees with you because anyone who disagrees with you when it comes to Palin could not be smart and sensible.

Your attitude will hand this election to Obama on a silver platter not because Palin must be the nominee, but because without Palin’s supporters’ enthusiasm no Republican can win. The thought of having to rely on the stupid, vapid dopes must be driving you crazy.

There is an obvious truth here, and it is that people with attitudes like yours are the most destructive force in the Republican Party right now, and Obama’s best friend. You are our biggest problem in 2012.

He nailed it. That’s to you, Moesart.

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM

He nailed it.

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM

He did nail it. I think the electability thing is s smoke screen. A lot of weak Republicans just don’t want to be put into a position to vote for someone that the media has told them is that uncool. There is also an elitist faction that can’t look past her manner of speaking to see the brilliance of her message.

And yes, there are plenty of good conservatives who don’t have her as their first choice. But they have no problem with her running and have a “let the best person win” mentality.

Kataklysmic on July 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Well, it didn’t take the NY Times long to start going after Perry in this article today:

Taking a Look at the Governor, Back When He Was a Democrat

“Gov. Rick Perry, a no-apologies conservative known for slashing government spending and opposing all tax increases, is about as Republican as you can get.

But that was not always the case.

Mr. Perry spent his first six years in politics as a Democrat, in a somewhat forgotten history that is sure to be revived and scrutinized by Republican opponents if he decides to run for president.”

Article here:

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM

SheetAnchor on July 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM

They will trash ANY conservative that poses a threat. That’s been my point about Michele Bachmann. It hasn’t been to pile on or to trash Bachmann, but to counter all the smug “well Palin’s been destroyed, we might as well find another” stuff. They’ll slime any of them that have the ability to mobilize conservative voters.

ddrintn on July 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM

wonder if they were in class the day they taught about Paul Revere?

xblade on July 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM

doubtful. they were probably like you and 99% of the other citizens who missed it. Seems like Palin was the only one in class that day. Oh wait a minute. Seems like Palin took the tour and learned the real story about Paul revere from the vicar giving the tour.

unseen on July 15, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Again, she always seems at her best against that Alaskan backdrop

Double entendre, Tina?…

Btw, last night interview with Hannity wasn’t the first time Palin has made public statements regarding the debt, the debt ceiling and the deficit. She’s had several interviews, on FOX and elsewhere, regarding the subjec…

Gohawgs on July 15, 2011 at 7:18 AM

I have a case of “Direitis”…

Gohawgs on July 15, 2011 at 7:41 AM

No one reads all of them completely, trust me. You post the same junk 300 times per Palin thread.

ddrintn on July 14, 2011 at 9:20 PM

And you think that people read you and your ilks comments that are simply outlets for your obsession with me?

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

You need to grow up and stick to making political comments on the political topic of each thread on this, a POLITICAL blog. When you find the csdeven blog, then we’ll reconsider your preoccupation with me.

csdeven on July 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Irritable Pundit on July 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

You are spending gobs of time composing comments about ME. Do you get it? ME. csdeven. Is this a csdeven blog? Has there ever been a thread topic on csdeven? No, there never has and never will be. But that doesn’t stop you and your ilk from going on and on and on for hours on end thinking up childish idiotic insults to level at me.

So, with those FACTS presented to you, can you REALLY wonder why I call you obsessed? Additionally, every one of you who begin leveling insults at fellow HA commentators over a simple difference of opinion are in fact hijacking threads.

This entire process begins this way: I criticize Palin. One of the members of the delusional wing of the St Palin the Victimized congregation starts insulting me. I respond by asking them what that has to do with the criticism of Palin. they respond with more thread jacking insults. This goes on for page after page until we have someone like you accusing me of trolling. I’ve got news for you……a differing opinion of Palin is not trolling. In fact, the personal insults you people use to counter those criticisms is the only trolling going on. If you people could control your penchant for obsessing you would either…A) ignore the criticisms of Palin, or B) respond to the merits of the criticism without the ad hominem insults etc.

csdeven on July 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM

csdeven on July 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM

So what are you waiting for? Respond to the merits of the counterclaims to your criticism – there’s been at least 15 just on this post. But in your fevered mind, a counterclaim = obsession. Maybe you should consider abdicating from criticizing lest your head explodes.

AH_C on July 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Try rereading the first page of this thread. My answers to the counterclaims are responded to with more insults. So spare the group your rewrite of blog history.

AH_C on July 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM

THIS is the proof you are obsessed with me. Stick to the thread topic. It would have an added benefit to you also…..your grammy would go back to cutting the crust off your sammiches because you would be making more room in your head for her rather than me.

csdeven on July 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM

csdeven on July 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM

You mean this?

She’s in!
Count it!
By July 3rd!
She has manipulated the LSM!

csdeven on July 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Your fear is showing. Again.

kingsjester on July 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM

and this?

csdeven on July 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Were you quoting someone other than the voices in your head?

CurtZHP on July 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Got it. You first spout nonsense and others question your sanity makes them guilty of insulting you. For the record.

AH_C on July 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I suggest that we all send an e mail requesting that csdeven be banned. I am tired of reading it’s insults aimed at regular poster’s here that are good people.

ReneePA on July 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM

csdeven on July 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Ahhhh, poor baby…you are so cute when you are coy, and faux insulted.
As if you never attack Palin, but this one time and everyone attacked you, you poor, poor, beaten little one…
I think you should complain to the management.

“Mr. Manager, they don’t play nice, they say bad things about me and it hurts my feelings, I never do anything bad, I never say anything bad, I’m good…they bad.”

right2bright on July 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM

People, please consider the First Rule. Don’t feed it. That’s the only way it survives, by recognition.

Yes, it incites, then claims victimhood while suggesting the reverse. Yes, it insults, then moans about being the target of displeasure. Yes, it misinforms/disinforms/prevaricates/lies/slanders/misportrays/misrepresents facts to its own ends while demanding “flawless” presentation of every written character by others. Yes, it is a MittButtBoy while pretending to be unaffiliated, as proven by performing this same song and dance in 2007/8, and being the type of “conservative” who helped put the least conservative candidate in the general election. Yes, it doesn’t care about any real, honest, factual issues and who stands where on those, it has decided who it believes in and will shamelessly denigrate anyone else with false complaints no matter how often the truth is presented.

In other words, if you are a person of honor, integrity, and thoughtful consideration, it doesn’t deserve a moment of your attention. Quit providing it what it doesn’t deserve. As for me, my attention is on aiding the helpful, interested, considerate contributors here; the preceding is for their sake only.

And now, by the rules of internet fora, there will be some spelling or grammatical error in the above, upon which it will pounce as “proof” that I’m (fill in the blank).

By the way, and on topic, isn’t there a person of some note lately who has been saying exactly what most Americans believe about the issues of greatest import to the nation and to the upcoming Presidential campaign? Isn’t it a shame that there’s only one such person doing so who isn’t a talk radio host? Isn’t it a shame that supposedly conservative candidates aren’t being so forceful in their analysis, commentary, and discussion about what is right and what is wrong with our government today? Wouldn’t it be wonderful if someone so direct, so honest, so down-to-earth, was willing to fight for the Oval Office? Well, if there were someone around like that, I’d be much more confident about our future.

Freelancer on July 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Most of us are not Palinbots. (But many of us–including me–used to be Palinbots.)

itsnotaboutme on July 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I know what you mean. I used to be a Packers fan until realized they couldn’t possibly win.lol.

bw222 on July 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Good one.

wi farmgirl on July 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM

If you look up the “The Fifth Discipline, Self-Mastery” in the dictionary, by all rights Ms. Munford’s picture should be there to illustrate it. Bravo.

drunyan8315 on July 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM

…and I forgot to add that the media has done precisely the opposite for the current occupant of the Oval Office.

The intellectual lightweights who would teach the rest of us how to think have forgotten how to themselves, and instead pretend that a fool who reads a teleprompter with simple pomposity is instead speaking ultimate truths with profundity.

drunyan8315 on July 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM

*yawn* the palin manifestos and cultish prayers to teh one continue in yet another thread….

Bradky on July 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

My desire to have her announce her candidacy is partly based on the sense of urgency I feel about our current condition. I have to remind myself that, regardless of our final choice for candidate, we still have to wait until November, 2012 to change direction, slow our descent or continue the fast slide to serfdom and ruin.

SKYFOX on July 18, 2011 at 7:39 AM