Wide open: Perry finding huge numbers of top GOP donors, operatives undecided

posted at 7:50 pm on July 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Hard to say what portion of the enthusiasm he’s seeing is pro-Perry rather than merely anti-Romney, but after this, it’s impossible to believe that he won’t run. Politically, this is as close as it gets to an engraved invitation:

Perry is finding that a vast reservoir of the Republican Party establishment — broadly defined to include elected officials, donors, strategists and activists whose support fuels presidential campaigns — is so far untapped, according to interviews conducted Monday and Tuesday with 19 major donors, strategists and party officials in13 states.

Establishment figures are waiting to see a candidate build and finance a national campaign, hone a strong economic message and, most of all, prove that he or she can go the distance to defeat President Obama. The biggest force driving these kingmakers is that they are hungry for a winner, and although former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney is widely considered the early frontrunner, broad swaths of the party remain unconvinced that he’s the one…

“It’s a huge opening for Rick Perry — huge, huge, huge,” said New Hampshire operative Mike Dennehy, who is neutral in the race. “If he announces and really announces with a bang, he could gobble up a solid third of the Republican Party establishment in New Hampshire and, I do believe, nationally.”

Many of former Republican National Committee chairman Haley Barbour’s supporters, who have largely stayed on the fence since the Mississippi governor decided not to run in 2012, are preparing to back Perry. Henry Barbour, the governor’s nephew and a member of the RNC, said that he would endorse Perry if he runs.

“I hope he does run,” Henry Barbour said. “I’ve talked to a number of folks who were going to support Haley had he run and a good percentage of them are very favorable to a Perry candidacy.. . .He’s got a great record in Texas, we align with him philosophically and he can win. It’s that simple.”

A California operative says well-heeled Republican donors there are ripe for the picking too, and a Georgia strategist claims to have heard from Romney donors in Atlanta that they’re ready, willing, and able to jump ship once Perry’s in. The Barbour news is the takeaway, though: We already knew that Perry and Haley Barbour have a “solid relationship,” but if Haley’s son nephew is already willing to commit to him, presumably that means a lot of people in dad’s his uncle’s rolodex will be too. Even Romney could have trouble keeping up with that fundraising juggernaut, especially if some of his donors are ready to flee to Team Rick. Perry will have plenty of money (including from his RGA contacts, of course), plenty of organization, and the distinction of being the only top-tier candidate from the south. How does he say no?

He met with Pervez Musharraf just this afternoon, purportedly at Musharraf’s request (“He wanted to talk to the governor about the economy and jobs and what Texas is doing right”) but presumably with Perry’s eager assent as a way of building a tiny bit of foreign-policy cred. Perry reportedly told him that he wants to see the U.S./Pakistani “friendship” continue; why he wants that in light of the news over the past two months, I have no idea, but it does sound diplomatic. He also finishes with six percent in a hypothetical Iowa field that includes Chris Christie (who finishes with 13, just five points behind Romney), but that poll also includes Palin at seven percent and Perry’s favorable rating among those who know who he is stands at a nifty 51/21. Assuming that he runs and that Christie and Palin don’t — and it’s increasingly hard for me to imagine both him and Palin running — then he should gobble up much of their support and be right in the thick of it with Bachmann and Romney. Which, ironically, could be good news for Pawlenty. If someone on the right doesn’t jump in soon and start siphoning off votes from Bachmann, T-Paw’s in trouble.

Oh, in other election news, Jon Huntsman’s going to start politely criticizing Romney now. So there’s that.

Update: Whoops, a careless error above. Henry Barbour is Haley’s nephew, not his son. Sorry for the mistake.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Boo hoo…Sure you do…

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Grow up.

CW on July 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Cry me a Kool-Aid river, cultist. Perry 2012

Southernblogger on July 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

In the poll I noted SP’s numbers are down. Sorry fanboys.

CW on July 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

let’s not pretend that every republican loves her.
Plenty do not- poll or no.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

She only needs a few more voters in the GOP primaries than the next guy/gal to get the nomination, not “every republican.”

I think that’s doable.

Guess we may have to wait & see.

cs89 on July 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Were you attempting to make a point?

cs89 on July 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM

As all y’all know-until 3 months ago I was a Chicagoan.
In Chi-Town one either loves country or loathes country.
There’s not a lot of middle ground there.
My point was that among voters-SP tends to elicit the same sort of response.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Grow up.

CW on July 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Get a grip!

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:09 PM

If Perry runs Palin is assured to run. Perry siphons off the ABP conservative vote from Mitt and Bachmann. he gets the woman should stay in the kitchen vote form Mitt and others. Bahcmann fades Mitt fades and if huntsman starts making a move or rudy get sin Mitt is getting attacked from the left and right. the middle can’t hold in a primary election which is why Mitt’s strategy is stupid IMO.

which leaves Palin’s hardcore support sitting pretty and makes her an instant frontrunner. Mitt isn’t and has never been the frontrunner. Palin is and the more candidates that get in the better she sits because of her support. Perry will not get her supporters until he defeats her in the primary if he can. Which is doubtful.

A Perry entry into the race is a 100% confirmation that Palin will enter and it gives her a clear pathway to a nomination.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Palin’s on Hannity tomorrow night…

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Ah. Didn’t know that you were from Chicago, or didn’t remember.

Anyway, on a national scale, “Country music” voters just might be enough to get you to a POTUS win… and likely could get you to a GOP nomination.

Unfortunately, I think many of the RINO pundits trying to tell us who is “electable” are tuned in to NPR for classical & jazz…

/s

cs89 on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Boo hoo…Sure you do…

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Boo nothing.
My mother is VERY conservative-and will sit on her hands if SP is the nominee.
She’s far from the only one who feels that way.
Btw:Don’t even THINK about making a crack about my mother.
Just don’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

he gets the woman should stay in the kitchen vote form Mitt and others.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

lol

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Which is why Romney’s fundraising numbers weren’t as strong as anticipated. T

texasconserv on July 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

/s

cs89 on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM
I’m more of a classic rock girl. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I love Perry posts – they are so entertaining

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Palin may enter, but she has zero chance of winning in the general, so she won’t attract the big money — ever.

Splashman on July 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM

she doesn’t need them in the primary.

McCain spent 50million

Mitt 90 million

Huck 9 million

Palin will be able to raise enough money in the first couple of weeks from grass roots to run a unconventional campaign. low over head, social media army of davids..

If Palin can raise between 20 and 40 million she can easily win the primary. Once the nomination is hers the big donors will be tripping overthemselves to back her. who else they going to back Obama? ROFL…

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Which is why Romney’s fundraising numbers weren’t as strong as anticipated. T

texasconserv on July 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

And why Bachmann hasn’t released her’s yet.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Btw:Don’t even THINK about making a crack about my mother.
Just don’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Lol

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

lol

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

thought someone might catch that one….

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I think that’s doable.

Guess we may have to wait & see.

cs89 on July 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I want nothing more than a crowded primary As I said: May the best person win!
Ot: I just heard thunder and my son saw lighting. Could it actually be…rain?
*crosses everything*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

My mother is VERY conservative-and will sit on her hands if SP is the nominee.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

ALT, I know you are not your mom, if someone asked her why she would rather risk another 4 years of Obama than face the prospect of a president Palin, what do you think she would say?

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I know it must be hard to write the baloney every day, all day. I guess that is why we get these pieces of pure bull poop.
Listen to this clip for some enlightenment:

It is inevitable… like a force of nature.

PhilipJames on July 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

No Thank you.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM

That No Thank you go’s equally for Perry.

heshtesh on July 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Cry me a Kool-Aid river, cultist. Perry 2012

Southernblogger on July 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Just what the GOP needs to win: nominating someone just to stick a finger in the eyes of those “Kool-Aid cultists”. Good Lord, it’s no wonder the GOP will forever be a minority party.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Which is why Romney’s fundraising numbers weren’t as strong as anticipated. T

texasconserv on July 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

i would like to see Palin’s fundraising numbers from her PAc for the last quarter they have to be reported by end of july. For somereason the fact she hasn’t release them yet tells me they are good news and she is waiting to use them as a bombshell towards the end of the month to push the narrative that she can win and she is running.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Yea, I wonder what a Perry entry would do to Pawlenty. Palin isn’t in yet, so this post isn’t about her.

scalleywag on July 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

My mother is VERY conservative-and will sit on her hands if SP is the nominee.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Oh well i hope she likes 4 more years of Obama then.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

scalleywag on July 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Minimal effect, I would think. Perry would pretty much take Bachmann’s place. I don’t know if or when Perry would ever overtake Romney.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I want nothing more than a crowded primary

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I don’t. Look what happened in the overcrowded primary for governor in Illinois last year.

Think about it.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Palin’s on Hannity tomorrow night…

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

hmmm that was a long absence from foxnews.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

It is inevitable… like a force of nature.

PhilipJames on July 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I like that guy! That’s the second one I listened to…:)

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Here’s the bottom line though for 2012, as far as I can tell: If Palin doesn’t get in, Romney’s your 2012 nominee. Simple as that.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM

hmmm that was a long absence from foxnews.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

She’s going to discuss the debt debate…

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I think Perry could huirt mitt the most. Mitt needs the cloak of “electability” to continue to be seen as even serious candidate and not a flake. If Perry eatd inot his support enough he could be in trouble. bachmann will also be hurt but i think timmy’s concerns about her will hurt her more in the short term than a possible Perry run. Now in the long run Perry could very well be seen as the bridge candidate. Not sure…

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

She’s going to discuss the debt debate…

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Good maybe she can knock some sense into the GOp establishment.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM

without Palin in the race it comes down to who the bushies pick. I think they will go with Mitt over Perry some bad blood there after the last election…..

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

She doesn’t approve of Palin’s signing off of the decision to shoot the wolves from the helos, she considers SP to be a bimbo(HER words) , and she thinks that Palin is an attention hog.

I agree in-part w/points one and three but I strongly disagree with point two.
MA lives in Illinois. It’s not like her sit-out would make a difference anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Think about it.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Proft proved the spoiler…again.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM

MA lives in Illinois. It’s not like her sit-out would make a difference anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Yeah, I hear you. I will tread lightly because I know this is your mother we are talking about. My own conservative mother also bristles at the mention of SP for reasons I have not been able to determine so the subject is fascinating to me.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM

My mother is VERY conservative-and will sit on her hands if SP is the nominee.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Oh well i hope she likes 4 more years of Obama then.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I’ve had many a loud argument with my die-hard Conservative Republican parents, too. If she were the nominee, they wouldn’t sit on their hands. They’d just cry.

Voices return to normal when we discuss Perry. Mom and Dad are convinced (and I cannot get them to think otherwise) that Palin would lead to an Obama landslide.

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Let’s see shoot some wolves or have the caribou herds thinned and eskimos go hungry yeap tough choice. wolves or people.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM

As does mine, my sister and every conservative/Republican friend I have, both men and women. They think she’s a joke.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM

i know conservatives that will sit out the election if she’s the nominee. No-not me-but let’s not pretend that every republican loves her.
Plenty do not- poll or no.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I’m sure that applys equally for Perry.

heshtesh on July 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Her mother has a right to her opinion. Leave it alone.

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM

If she were the nominee, they wouldn’t sit on their hands. They’d just cry.

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Oh well can’t win them all. I know many here you say the name Mitt they spit and start talking third party. the south hates mitt with a white hot passion. most don’t know Perry but are willing to listen and a great many are sitting waiting for Palin to enter.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM

But yet she could fill a stadium.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Thank you, DS, always good to see you, too!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Her mother has a right to her opinion. Leave it alone.

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM

So what if someone expresses an opinion on Gardasil?

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM
Maybe it’s generational.
My mother was born in ’44.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Several of us from our tea party helped in a fundraiser on Saturday and were discussing Perry. We got around to Palin and all of us agreed that she should stay on the sidelines for various reasons. There are alot, as in an overwhelming number, of conservatives that don’t feel she’s the right person right now.

TxAnn56 on July 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Her mother has a right to her opinion. Leave it alone.

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Opps the thread police is out again. I do love how you assume crap. terwp said she agreed about the wolves. So you know maybe I was responding to Twerp ?

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

TxAnn56 on July 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

So tell me. If she got into the race, would she have a shot at the nomination?

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Her mother has a right to her opinion. Leave it alone.

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM

He’s fine.
Ma and I are both animal rights people.
The difference is that I’ll vote for SP if she wins the nomination.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Yeah nobody will go to her rallies vote for her. Too crowded polarizing.

/s

cs89 on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I think the Bush team will back Pery..if push comes to shove..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Your comment didn’t bother me.
I still like wolves though.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

He’s fine.
Ma and I are both animal rights people.
The difference is that I’ll vote for SP if she wins the nomination.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Okay – it’s just well you know :)

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I think the Bush team will back Pery..if push comes to shove..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

could be. They didn’t seem too friendly during the 2010 election but you know politics strange bedfellows and all that…

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM

SP is like country music: People either love her or loathe her. There’s not many in-between.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM

The people who don’t like country music have never really listened to it.

Kevin71 on July 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Your comment didn’t bother me.
I still like wolves though.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I do too, but my livelihood doesn’t depend on caribou herds.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM
I think the Bush team will back Perry..if push comes to shove..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Your comment didn’t bother me.
I still like wolves though.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I like them too. Just not as much as people. I will always come down on the side of humanity.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I like these family stories. I’m hoping people are nice enough not to hate.
My parents are lifelong Republicans, consider themselves “Tea Partiers”, never have the TV on any news station other than Fox News, visit London so they can pay respects to Winston Churchill and Maggie Thatcher (seriously) and visit the Reagan library at least twice or three times a year, and still are in tears when going to the car. And I can not get them to not be afraid of Palin and they told me they (choke!!!) “liked Huckabee”. The Huckster out and Perry probably “in” has brought us together. :-)

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

TxAnn56 on July 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I hear ya. It’s going to be interesting on my Alaska cruise through the inside passage in 2 weeks and what the dinner conversation will be.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

They sound like lovely people. We always joked that my Grandpa held on long enough to make sure Bush beat Gore. Once he did – then my Grandpa could go in peace.

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I think the Bush team will back Pery..if push comes to shove..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM

It would be nice but I have my doubts. I have a feeling they want the dynasty thing to happen with Jeb but they know another person named Bush has no shot until America has suffered for 8 years under Obama and are willing to vote for anyone. I’m not sure the Bush clan is super committed to an R winning in ’12. Hopefully I am wrong.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

TxAnn56 on July 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I’ll ask the question again. Since an “overwhelming number” of conservatives don’t think she the right person right now, are you going to say categorically she has no shot at the nomination if she runs?

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

interesting I notice those that watch Fox alot have some of the same views. Get them away from fox for a little bit and their opinions change. But you know who knows.

The day she gives a speech and no one shows up is the day I believe she can’t win.

speaking of which the movie theater in Tx is sold out for her primetime viewing of her film on friday.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Good post..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Well considering an overwhelming % of the gop hated Reaganin 1979 I would so no. All she needs is one more than those that don’t like her. After that its the choice her or Obama.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

*crickets*

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

wow I find that hard to believe. it appears bristol is now a bestselling author. her book is set to appear on the NYT bestsellers list. Now that is unexpected.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

In…2006? I think it was I sent Thomas Sowell an e-mail over something animal-related tat re wrote. About 20 mimnutes later Sowell shot back a reply that basically said that I was obviously one of those that prefers animals over people.
That not true!
On rare occasions I actual do prefer people.
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Palin has the highest favorables among Conservatives according to Gallup’s latest poll.

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

My mother-Dad died in 2001-protest-voted for Nader in 2008.
*bangs head*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Bush loves America. He had his faults, but his love of America was never in doubt. I can’t imagine that Bush I who is a WWII hero or Bush II would ever wish another four years of Obama on us.

Perry was Bush’s Lt. Gov. He will back him, I just know it.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Oh, My mom and pop would dance a jig and break out the Krug (4 or 5 bottles!) with a President Palin. They just are convinced it is inconceivable. If she is the nominee, she’s in for quite a lot of $. They despise Obama with their every breath. They would NOT not support her.

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM

On rare occasions I actual do prefer people.
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I love animals. Live on a lot of acres. got deer, birds, rabbits squirrles, dogs, horses, snakes etc you name it it probaly down inthe woods. or in the pastures and I like a clean environment. I just don’t think we need to starve or live in a hut to protect them. the polar bear is a prime example. If its between a polar bear and my A/c on this 102 day. the polar bear is not long for this world.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Aslans Girl on July 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Let’s hope so. I hope the Bush clan, along with the rest of the GOP establishment, gets behind whoever our nominee is. I have my doubts.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 10:06 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I’ve already been on 4 cruises this year and getting ready for the 5th in 2 weeks. That’s a lot of people I get to meet and dine with, along with the big crowds that always gather in the smoking areas.

I have not met one person that thinks Palin is qualified, let alone getting the nomination. And considering there’s really only a dozen or so people here at HA who are her biggest supporters, I’d say they’re on to something.

Sorry if that doesn’t fit into your narrative, but there’s more to the world than these blogs.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

OT….do you know anything about a virus going around that’s killing deer? I had dozens in the forest behind my house, there are only 2 or 3 left.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

there was something like madcow going around but I was thinking those were centered in the north. And I heard something about a tick borne disease but not sure if that was ahuman or deer virus. Not really heard anything major lately

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Are you sure the locals aren’t doing anything?
Some of your neighbors are less than civilized.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Well I’m living up here in the suburbs of Chicago and deer population is out of control and has become really dangerous. There was word that the Cook County Forest Preserve folks were going to cull them out, but then the animal rights goons went nuts. The meat was going to feed the homeless.

On any given afternoon I’d have 30 or 40 in my back yard in the winter, now there’s only a couple, and they are skin and bones and their fur is all marled up and ugly. I’ve only seen one baby this year.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I have been somewhat sceptical of this theory of yours but I am being persuaded.

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Rick Perry’s first question for Romney: “what have you been doing the last four years?”

slickwillie2001 on July 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM

sounds like an over population problem and not enough food etc to go around. overpopulation does breed all kinds of sickness etc.

a culling would probably do wonders for them

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM

have been somewhat sceptical of this theory of yours but I am being persuaded.

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I just don’t see any Palin supporters saying they will switch to Perry if Palin and Perry get in. Plus I think as the gallup poll shows she has a strong core support of around 25-30% in a three or four person race that is all you need. so she has a hard core group of support that isn’t going anywhere no matter who gets in. and you have others that don’t want to vote for her but besides that one thing they have all these different views. I don’t think the ABP vote is a reason people will vote for someone. they won’t vote for Palin but after that choice they will pick the candidate that mataches their views. The ABP moderate vote will go to mitt, the ABP conservative vote goes to Perry etc. And as that vote is split by more and more candidates her base becomes storng enough to win with her simply just keeping her present support. and then as she campaignns and other candidates fall by the wayside I think Palin gets a second look by many and compared to the ones left she gets enough to finish a two person race for the win….

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM

No, your cultism is showing. Show me a poll where Dems or Indys will vote for her.

I don’t comment here very often, and I’m not a Palin cultist, but this argument drives me nuts.
This is the biggest Bull Sh!t argument anyone could make.
Let’s just have a General right now….and run 12 Repubs against “The One” and see who wins. Why is it people like you insist on telling everyone you don’t like to “Sit down, Shut up and Don’t run”.

LET EVERYBODY RUN….AND LET THE PEOPLE SORT IT OUT!!

A. Weasel on July 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM

a culling would probably do wonders for them

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Heh. I thought you were talking about some Turd World nation or another before I looked upthread. The sad thing is that it’s still true…

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I hate the fact that you are a Palin fan, you stupid, petulant child. It makes Palin supporters look bad.

carbon_footprint on July 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM

carbon_footprint on July 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Him and Jenfidel are the two worst Palinazis on the board, bar none.

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

If Perry gets in a lot of things will change..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Didn’t Trump make her numbers go down? I hope that her support is as solid as you say.

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Which doesn’t answer the question. If she decides to run, seeing that she’s so unpopular, she has no shot at the nomination. Right?

carbon_footprint on July 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Which I guess is your piss-poor substitute for an “argument”.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM

carbon_footprint on July 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I am sorry but ddritn, jenfidel and unseen are very strong defenders of Palin and the best. You just want to make sure her strongest supporters don’t argue for her here.

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Him and Jenfidel are the two worst Palinazis on the board, bar none.

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I want just one quoted example of my “Palinazism”.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM

This is the biggest Bull Sh!t argument anyone could make.

LET EVERYBODY RUN….AND LET THE PEOPLE SORT IT OUT!!

A. Weasel on July 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Better yet, let’s not have primaries at all. Let’s consult Gallup early next year and the one that’s doing best with Dems and indies is the nominee. What say ye?

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

That reminds me of the (allegedly apocryphal?) quote from Pauline Kael:

“I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.”

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM

I’m sorry, but JenFidel is bigot. I guess you’ve never had the pleasure of some of her anti-Morman and ghey rants.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I’m impressed with the number of folks that want Rick Perry to run..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM