Wide open: Perry finding huge numbers of top GOP donors, operatives undecided

posted at 7:50 pm on July 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Hard to say what portion of the enthusiasm he’s seeing is pro-Perry rather than merely anti-Romney, but after this, it’s impossible to believe that he won’t run. Politically, this is as close as it gets to an engraved invitation:

Perry is finding that a vast reservoir of the Republican Party establishment — broadly defined to include elected officials, donors, strategists and activists whose support fuels presidential campaigns — is so far untapped, according to interviews conducted Monday and Tuesday with 19 major donors, strategists and party officials in13 states.

Establishment figures are waiting to see a candidate build and finance a national campaign, hone a strong economic message and, most of all, prove that he or she can go the distance to defeat President Obama. The biggest force driving these kingmakers is that they are hungry for a winner, and although former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney is widely considered the early frontrunner, broad swaths of the party remain unconvinced that he’s the one…

“It’s a huge opening for Rick Perry — huge, huge, huge,” said New Hampshire operative Mike Dennehy, who is neutral in the race. “If he announces and really announces with a bang, he could gobble up a solid third of the Republican Party establishment in New Hampshire and, I do believe, nationally.”

Many of former Republican National Committee chairman Haley Barbour’s supporters, who have largely stayed on the fence since the Mississippi governor decided not to run in 2012, are preparing to back Perry. Henry Barbour, the governor’s nephew and a member of the RNC, said that he would endorse Perry if he runs.

“I hope he does run,” Henry Barbour said. “I’ve talked to a number of folks who were going to support Haley had he run and a good percentage of them are very favorable to a Perry candidacy.. . .He’s got a great record in Texas, we align with him philosophically and he can win. It’s that simple.”

A California operative says well-heeled Republican donors there are ripe for the picking too, and a Georgia strategist claims to have heard from Romney donors in Atlanta that they’re ready, willing, and able to jump ship once Perry’s in. The Barbour news is the takeaway, though: We already knew that Perry and Haley Barbour have a “solid relationship,” but if Haley’s son nephew is already willing to commit to him, presumably that means a lot of people in dad’s his uncle’s rolodex will be too. Even Romney could have trouble keeping up with that fundraising juggernaut, especially if some of his donors are ready to flee to Team Rick. Perry will have plenty of money (including from his RGA contacts, of course), plenty of organization, and the distinction of being the only top-tier candidate from the south. How does he say no?

He met with Pervez Musharraf just this afternoon, purportedly at Musharraf’s request (“He wanted to talk to the governor about the economy and jobs and what Texas is doing right”) but presumably with Perry’s eager assent as a way of building a tiny bit of foreign-policy cred. Perry reportedly told him that he wants to see the U.S./Pakistani “friendship” continue; why he wants that in light of the news over the past two months, I have no idea, but it does sound diplomatic. He also finishes with six percent in a hypothetical Iowa field that includes Chris Christie (who finishes with 13, just five points behind Romney), but that poll also includes Palin at seven percent and Perry’s favorable rating among those who know who he is stands at a nifty 51/21. Assuming that he runs and that Christie and Palin don’t — and it’s increasingly hard for me to imagine both him and Palin running — then he should gobble up much of their support and be right in the thick of it with Bachmann and Romney. Which, ironically, could be good news for Pawlenty. If someone on the right doesn’t jump in soon and start siphoning off votes from Bachmann, T-Paw’s in trouble.

Oh, in other election news, Jon Huntsman’s going to start politely criticizing Romney now. So there’s that.

Update: Whoops, a careless error above. Henry Barbour is Haley’s nephew, not his son. Sorry for the mistake.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

So Knucklehead, if Palin does get in the race, she’ll have pretty much Pawlenty type numbers throughout. Is that correct?

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I have not met one person that thinks Palin is qualified, let alone getting the nomination. And considering there’s really only a dozen or so people here at HA who are her biggest supporters, I’d say they’re on to something.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

IN your bizzaro world, Palin isn’t qualified but Bachmann is.

I’m sorry, but JenFidel is bigot. I guess you’ve never had the pleasure of some of her anti-Morman and ghey rants.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM

So is Bachmann who has actually run an degaying center, yet you support her. GO figure. You just want to slime Palin suporters into submission.

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Correct. But she’s not running, she’s endorsing Perry.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Correct. But she’s not running, she’s endorsing Perry.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

She’s so unpopular, what difference does it make who she’d endorse? Sounds to me like a Palin endorsement would be the kiss of death.

And any time you want to wager on Palin’s having Pawlenty numbers if she gets into the race, just let me know.

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I’ve never said I was supporting her, just defending her just like I have Palin, but you don’t pay attention to that. Check page 1 if you’re able.

I don’t slime Palin supporters, some of you beclown yourselves.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

From the blog post it does not look like Perry will have trouble raising money..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

just defending her just like I have Palin…

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

LOL…

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Atlanta is crazy with deer as well. If the depression gets any worse I wonder if they might start disappearing.

slickwillie2001 on July 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

What are you going to do if he doesn’t run?

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Perry/Bachmann 2012?

HTL on July 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I see a return to hunting coming soon.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

It costs bucks to start and sustain a campaign. teh Won has been diverting Fed Funds for 2 1/2 years now plus the POTUS credit card. Simple logistics say enter as late as possible. Even against Jimmy carter II.

Just sayin’.

Caststeel on July 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I am sorry but ddritn, jenfidel and unseen are very strong defenders of Palin and the best. You just want to make sure her strongest supporters don’t argue for her here.

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM

agreed. jenfidel is a big-time LDS hater.
There is nothing ‘best’ about her.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Didn’t Trump make her numbers go down? I hope that her support is as solid as you say.

promachus on July 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

nope. trump surpassed her numbers a time or two but her level of support stayed stable.

unseen on July 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

slickwillie2001 on July 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Well mine have disappeared, we are now overrun with skunks. Ugh.

Knucklehead on July 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Perry/Bachmann 2012?

HTL on July 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I do not want Bachmann on the ticket and why in the hell would Perry? So GAY can lead every day and she’d carry Minnesota? She would not. Perry/Palin, Perry/Rubio, Perry/Jindal, Perry/Ryan, Perry/Walker. Why in the hell Perry/Bachmann. Oh what fun. We’re looking to attract the Reagan Democrats who dislike Obama, not give them a reason to hold their nose and continue to vote for him.

Marcus on July 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Thanks for the link..Very encouraging indeed..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Well mine have disappeared, we are now overrun with skunks. Ugh.

Knucklehead on July 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM

We have prairie dogs, 2-inch roaches, and Asian tree beetles.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Plus you have huge spiders!..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Plus you have huge spiders!..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:21 AM

That beetle must have been 3 or 4 inches long!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM

My guess is that her strongly unfavorables are high as well.

annoyinglittletwerp

Tied for the highest with Gingrich. Convenient how he left that part out, isn’t it?

You know who was second favorable, only one point behind Palin? Cain. How’s that working out for him? In other words, it’s meaningless as far as getting the nomination goes.

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM

LOL!..If you want to ..Come over to the QOTD..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Well, if so many Republicans are going to stay home if Palin were to get the nom, at least I’d know who wimped out if Obama got re-elected and that these “Republicans” are not serious conservatives.

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Prairie dogs are targets. Even better for community fun.

Roaches are what DDT used to fix. Most often raised by less than sanitary neighbors. Do you have a neighborhood kid with accurate BB gun?

Back in the day we had pine bark beetles with life characteristics similar to the Asian tree beetle. Two fixes: Grow healthy trees; water and fertilizer – they can withstand attack. Lindane worked on ornamentals.

Tarantulas are so slow. Best advice; Pick a local human with a temperament you admire. Copy them re; critters.

Caststeel on July 13, 2011 at 12:47 AM

I have invented a device which probes the inner thoughts of field mice and thus far not one of them thinks Perry or Bachmann are qualified for the job of Presidency.

And the only one in my family who does think Bachmann is not a total flake is my Aunt Edna who has a metal plate in her head and has an irrational fear of English Muffins; only the Thomas’ brand, BTW.

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Trust me..Whoever wins the GOP nomination will get tons of GOP support..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I spend most of my time travelling the country selling Party Balloons to Ambulance Drivers; the metal foil kind. Most people don’t know how lucrative this untapped market is.

But more to the point: So far not one of these drivers thinks Perry or Bachmann are electable; but if either Perry or Bachmann were to somehow win the nomination (Perry is not running) the Ambulance drivers will go on strike; and my Balloon sales will drop precipitously.

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Trust me..Whoever wins the GOP nomination will get tons of GOP support..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Not according to Knucklehead.

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I’m sorry I missed that?..

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM

I have searched my family history for clues as to how they would vote in 2012; going back all the way to Eve.

Thus far, the Mitochondrial DNA analysis shows clearly that they would have sat out the election, had they been alive, if Perry or Bachmann were to win the nomination (Perry is not running and he will endorse Palin).

I have yet to trace the DNA from other species but when the results come forth I will be happy to tell the world right here; assuming I have enough time between inventing mind reading devices and selling Party Balloons to Ambulance Drivers.

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Interesting. Very interesting.

Knucklehead on July 13, 2011 at 12:59 AM

One of my wholly owned subsidiaries, Geo Enterprises, specializes in gauging future trends based on the level of Phytoplankton in the worlds oceans.

Preliminary data suggests that if either Perry (Perry is not running) or Bachmann win the nomination; the population in one country in North Dakota will sit out the election.

As radical as that sounds every prediction thus far has been spot on and my Aunt Edna is one of the major shareholders in my Wholly owned subsidiary. But she has nothing to do with the Balloon business although she has had the pleasure of riding in an ambulance.

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 1:04 AM

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I didn’t leave it out at all. I said it was 9%, six percentage points higher than Romney who’s had pretty positive coverage over the past 3 years.

It’s “meaningless” because it’s a poll that is favorable to Palin. Natch.

ddrintn on July 13, 2011 at 1:05 AM

country county

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Rick Perry is Bilderberg’s candidate. A vote for him is a vote for the status quo

bingsha on July 13, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Interesting. Very interesting.

ddrintn on July 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Had to click on your site to see what nick possessed such imagination.

Excellent! That thoughtful countenance says it all.

Caststeel on July 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM

I have tried to stay out of politics for the most part and attempt to live in quiet solitude. But just this week alone, no less than 1300 people have spontaneously interrupted my daily reading of Plato to inform me that if either Perry (Perry is not running) or Bachmann win the nomination they will systematically mutilate kittens and sit out the election, content to give Obama another victory.

I have yet to tell my Aunt Edna about this troubling development.

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I’ll ask the question again. Since an “overwhelming number” of conservatives don’t think she the right person right now, are you going to say categorically she has no shot at the nomination if she runs?

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Palin has the highest favorables among Conservatives according to Gallup’s latest poll.

idesign

She also has the highest unfavorables. Cain is only one point behind her in the favorables. How’s that working out for him?

To answer ddrintn’s question, sure she has a shot to win the nomination. Not a good one, but a shot. So does every one else who is running. She has NO shot, however, to win the election should she be our nominee. None.

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Had to click on your site to see what nick possessed such imagination.

Excellent! That thoughtful countenance says it all.

Caststeel on July 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Geochelone Elephantopus is what I am.

Note: Elephantopus (Elephant) is to signify my Republican inclinations. Not a shred of Donk does course through my veins.

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 1:21 AM

She has NO shot, however, to win the election should she be our nominee. None.

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Why? Is it because you think the media have hit her harder than than they will hit the other potential nominees?

Kataklysmic on July 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Your posts are cracking me up tonight.

Kataklysmic on July 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 1:16 AM

She has high unfavorables because the democrats hate her more intensely than other republicans right now. Are you expecting Democrats to show up and vote for your candidate? If not, I don’t see how her unfavorables with the Dems should her her.

promachus on July 13, 2011 at 1:33 AM

She has high unfavorables because the democrats hate her more intensely than other republicans right nowpromachus on July 13, 2011 at 1:33 AM

And what makes you think that changes if she jumps in? Do you think those numbers are magically going to change? If so, how? And please, no comments about a documentary that no one will see except Palin supporters.

Knucklehead on July 13, 2011 at 1:42 AM

If he doesn’t run, I will.

Someone has to lead our country back to prosperity.

freedomplow on July 13, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I’m sorry I missed that?..

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM

I’ve already been on 4 cruises this year and getting ready for the 5th in 2 weeks. That’s a lot of people I get to meet and dine with, along with the big crowds that always gather in the smoking areas.

Sorry if that doesn’t fit into your narrative, but there’s more to the world than these blogs.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Your posts are cracking me up tonight.

Kataklysmic on July 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Some of these posts are unintentionally hilarious. So much anecdotal evidence from so many trusted sources; sources so trust-worthy that they can’t affect a consistent eeyore-frown for more than a few minutes before their faces get frozen by fear over the possibility of an upcoming eventuality.

Geochelone on July 13, 2011 at 2:34 AM

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

yeah not surprised you left out the % and just blasted high negative.

that high negative?

a whopping 9% yeap 9% of the gop has a negative opinion of Palin. OMG how can she win the nomination if 9 whole % thinks highly negative of her. I mean that only leaves what 91% that don’t. and 25% that has a high favorable view. Seems what the poll says is that the vast majority of people don’t have a strong view of Palin at all regardless of what the ABPP suggest. this poll shows that opinions of Palin are not set in stone and can be changed….. Plus gallup didn’t release the “somewhat favs ” this time last month the total of the high favs and somewhat favs for Palin placed her as the most fav candidate in the GOP at around 80% if memory serves. several Pts higher than the next in line romney….

unseen on July 13, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Knucklehead on July 13, 2011 at 1:42 AM

you must have missed that “magical change from 65% unfavs to 52% unfavs within 2 weeks of the bus tour and email hunt. If Palin can drop her unfavs by 13pts in a 2 week period. she can drop them another 3% in 16 months.

Oh yeah as far as who sees what. I guess only Palin supporters will see the newsweek article. The MSNBC interview by the director of the Undefeated, The cnn interview and on and on.

with the highest favs in the GOP and a committed core base of support Palin is positioned well to win the nomination in spite of the unrelenting 10 month STOP Palin campaign waged by the ABPP and the GOp establishment.

there is a reason for that high favorable rating and the longer she is on the stage the more people GOP, Reagan dems and indies will see that reason

and yes with the Undefeated going to 1000 scenes and after onto Walmart shelves many people will see it that are not Palin supporters. at least those that like to get all the facts. the close minded types like yourself will not watch it of course.

unseen on July 13, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Knucklehead on July 13, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Incorrect…Her unfavorables dropped anwhere from 8% to 11% after her bus tour, depending on the poll…That kinda indicates several things, one being that quoted poll numbers are not static…As far as the movie, wrong again. There will be some non-supporters that will see the film during its theater run. Others will see bits and pieces after it’s cut up into bite sized chunks and put on youtube or used in news reports or even here at HA attached to a thread topic…

Gohawgs on July 13, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Mom and Dad are convinced (and I cannot get them to think otherwise) that Palin would lead to an Obama landslide.

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Where do they get their news of the day? If it’s the alphabet networks or their local paper, their reaction is not surprising…

Gohawgs on July 13, 2011 at 5:29 AM

Marcus, I hadn’t read the whole thread when I posted the above…

Gohawgs on July 13, 2011 at 5:40 AM

Correct. But she’s not running, she’s endorsing Perry.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

It is to laugh.

Opinionator on July 13, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Knucklehead on July 13, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Is everything so static and unchanging in your world? It’s not “magic”, it’s the power of truth overcoming three years worth of lies and smear. Yes, the numbers will change. Not everyone is so closed-minded as some.

SKYFOX on July 13, 2011 at 6:27 AM

I’m sure Perry and his family are just considering if it’ll be worth it. The left will character assassinate like we’ve never seen before: He’s gay! He’s anti-gay (because he’s gay)! He’s a racist! He’s pro-slavery! He sends innocent brown-skinned people to the electric chair! He’s a religious fanatic! He’s dumb! He hates women! He’s a gun nut! He has a confederate flag…somewhere!

It’ll be really ugly if he gets in. Really ugly.

Rational Thought on July 12, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Hahaha…BUT I think everyone not intending to re-elect Obama should be priming themselves to anticipate that that’s what’s going to be there to deal with REGARDLESS OF WHO the GOP nominates (or who tries for the nomination).

We, the country, needs not only a turn-around artist but a new captain able to chart a brand new course. Not “change” but “invent” and do it right.

Lourdes on July 13, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Shouldn’t it be worrisome that ‘big name donors’ aka The Establishment, flock to Perry’s camp?

Notorious GOP on July 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I’d rather they flock to Perry than to Obama.

Lourdes on July 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM

THIS article with these poll results (just a few days old, poll results) proves “annoyinglittletwerp” to be accurate in comemnts here…

The unfavorables as to SP are highest among all possible candidates.

July 12, 2011, 5:35 PM ET

Poll Shows Palin Still Stirs Strong Emotions
By Katie Glueck

Love her or hate her, you probably know who Sarah Palin is.

That’s what polling service Gallup found in a survey of 1,500 Republicans and Republican-leaning independent voters: 95% recognized the former Alaskan governor’s name, but she also got the highest “strongly favorable” and “strongly unfavorable” ratings among 2012 GOP presidential hopefuls. [Emphasis Added.]

Ms. Palin beat out every other Republican candidate in the name-recognition contest, including presumptive front-runner Mitt Romney, who, like former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, hovered at around 80% name recognition.

Ms. Palin, who has not announced whether she will run for the GOP presidential nomination, also stirs more passions—positively and negatively—than any other candidate. She has a 25% “strongly favorable” rating, with Godfather’s Pizza tycoon Herman Cain close behind, at 24%. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R., Minn.) came in third with a 20% “strongly favorable” score.

But Ms. Palin also generates the most “strongly unfavorable” feelings, according to the poll, which was released Tuesday. She had a 9% “strongly unfavorable” rating, tying with Mr. Gingrich. Mr. Romney, who has come under fire for the health care plan he enacted as governor of Massachusetts, has a “strongly unfavorable” rating of 3%, along with Jon Huntsman Jr., the moderate former Utah governor and former ambassador to China….

Lourdes on July 13, 2011 at 7:19 AM

‘Course, that poll from that article relies on one believing that those polled who claimed to be Republican voters actually are Republican voters.

Lourdes on July 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM

We have prairie dogs, 2-inch roaches, and Asian tree beetles.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Easy cure there ALT -teach the cockroaches to eat the beetles and then teach the prarie dogs to go predator and show them those delicious prairie dogs and let Mother Nature take its course -

Don L on July 13, 2011 at 7:27 AM

That should be show them to “eat the cockroaches.”

If they start eating each other = sign them up with the GOP!

Don L on July 13, 2011 at 7:29 AM

Marcus on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Beautiful family stories there.

Lourdes on July 13, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Well, so far, the winning ticket, to my perspective, appears to be Perry/Rubio.

I like Bachmann, too, but Perry/Rubio seem to have a clear advantage for a win in November 2012.

Lourdes on July 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Perry/Bolton 2012 – the adult ticket.

fossten on July 13, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Great news…….

Another Texas Governor backed by the Establishment that will continue to support their favorite policies, open borders and big talk about “limited” Government.

Perry WILL NOT use his political capital to fix the problems we have and he’ll probably expand Foreign Trade Zones within the US.

But at least he’d be better than the quick collapse of the country under Obama (the DOTUS).

PappyD61 on July 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM
Trust me..Whoever wins the GOP nomination will get tons of GOP support..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM
Not according to Knucklehead.

Dongemaharu on July 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM

The Indies always decide an election. The GOP candidate will always get at least 40% simply because he/she they’re not voting for a Democrat.

Notorious GOP on July 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM

You know they’re waiting on SP’s phone call.

Kissmygrits on July 13, 2011 at 8:32 AM

We have prairie dogs, 2-inch roaches, and Asian tree beetles.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

OT ~ One thing I discovered while in Texas, if you find a Palmetto bug (roach) in your bathroom and spray it with one of those daily shower cleaners, like Tilex®, they can’t get traction and run off. It gives you enough time to kill them. Good times…

Fallon on July 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM

So what exactly is Palin waiting on?

The 2 year “statute of limitations” for some supposed lawsuits after she left the Gov office? So far I’ve not seen any link that supports that claim, just hearsay.

She has given no clue that she’s “decided”…..

…..so what exactly is so hard about the decision? Bachmann made the decision. Cain made it, TPaw, Newt, Paul, etc.

Call me if she announces, until then she’s just a great Communicator (unless that’s Rebecca Mansour writing all her posts) that helps to take it to the DOTUS.

PappyD61 on July 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Is it just me or does Perry seem like Dubya without the charm?

Seth Halpern on July 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

To build foreign policy cred? So Mexico isn’t a foreign country now? The Governor of Texas doesn’t deal with any Foreign country’s?

Dr Evil on July 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Who’s undecided?

I decided a long time ago that I won’t vote for Mitt Romney under any circumstances.

This is great news.

The unfortunate thing for the RNC is that millions of people think like I do.

The GOP, that we have reflexively voted for, has been complicit with the DNC in putting us on a glide path to financial oblivion.

I think I will take a pass on Mitt, Newt and all of the other similar Lilliputian GOP candidates.

molonlabe28 on July 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM

ddrintn on July 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I want in on that ^

IowaWoman on July 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Dr Evil on July 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Canada did not count for Palin.

IowaWoman on July 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM

What’s he waiting for?

hawksruleva on July 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Notorious GOP on July 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Which is why Sarah Palin should not be our nominee–she has somehow managed to alienate lots of Indies, probably when she resigned the governorship of Alaska.

Romney, despite his flaws, seems to win Indie votes right now, since he is the only named Republican who leads Obama in polls…right NOW. But down the road, Romney will probably be twisting himself in knots trying to attack ObamaCare while defending RomneyCare, and Indie voters might be confused about this issue.

Perry has no baggage whatsoever on health care, and has an excellent record on job creation during his long tenure as Governor of Texas (longer than George W. Bush in 2000). As a Southern Governor, he could probably win back FL, NC, and VA which Obama won in 2008. The major question would be whether Perry could win Indie votes in states like OH, PA, and WI. Any two of them would give Perry the Presidency.

Steve Z on July 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Dr Evil on July 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I’m sure the state creating the most jobs never goes overseas on trade missions.

hawksruleva on July 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

PappyD61 on July 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Palin is waiting on July 27th. Palin said she would announce if she is running at the end of July-beginning August. Complain after that date Pappy.

IowaWoman on July 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Notorious GOP on July 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Maybe, but who are the indies? Are they really between the left and right? Are they quasi-libertarians? Or are they conservatives fed up with the crappy GOP choices and so they don’t care to ID with the party?

You can win 49 of the 57 states with a strong conservative message. It’s been done before. And even the socialcon issues that we’re always warned about, conservatism does pretty well when it’s on the ballot. CA, for example, passes lots of socially conservative propositions.

hawksruleva on July 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

This is all well and good, but who does it help?

Paid for by the Committee to Erect Anthony Weiner on July 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM

i know conservatives that will sit out the election if she’s the nominee. No-not me-but let’s not pretend that every republican loves her.
Plenty do not- poll or no.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

And you don’t thnk there are Republicans who will sit out the election if Romney is the nominee? I know Republicans who thin Mitt had his shot running for POTUS and it’s time for him to move on – same as Gingrich. All the potentials have baggage and/or detractors.

katiejane on July 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Is it just me or does Perry seem like Dubya without the charm?

Seth Halpern on July 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

It’s just you.

fossten on July 13, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Been heavily involved in the Texas Legislature this session, which finished up without a single significant piece of legislation addressing illegal immigration issues passed (E-Verify, Sanctuary Cities penalties, etc). We knew all the direct players in this (the Committee Chairs, the Speaker and the Lt. Governor), along with some of the big-donors also who pulled some of the string. Until last night, I wasn’t sure of who was really pulling the back room strings, but after last night, I’m pretty certain it was Perry.
Efforts to fight the illegal immigration problems of Texas were sacrificed on the alter of Perry’s Presidential ambitions; he lost me on that one.

michaelo on July 13, 2011 at 12:22 PM

If Perry announces in August, by the end of the 3rd Quarter (Sept 31) his fund raising number will be close to $25 million, and Romney will then be second place (unless he drops a big chunk of his own cash again)

phreshone on July 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM

michaelo on July 13, 2011 at 12:22 PM

That’s definitely a back breaker for Perry

darwin on July 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Perry/Bachmann 2012?

HTL on July 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Trust me if that happens…Perry will get no support from Palin.
If Perry gets in and Palin doesn’t…Perry will need Palin. Sarah would NEVER support that ticket.

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Seriously? That will be his biggest obstacle. After Obama’s incessant fundraising, he already has oodles of money.
This election will take some big bucks.
I don’t think Perry can raise that kind of money all by his lonesome, no matter how many big shots he nuzzles up to……that’s where Sarah steps in.
Palin can bring in the “smaller amounts” of ground support money that Perry can’t……big time.

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

IMHO I don’t think Perry or Palin will have trouble raising money..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM

My mother is VERY conservative-and will sit on her hands if SP is the nominee.
She’s far from the only one who feels that way.
Btw:Don’t even THINK about making a crack about my mother.
Just don’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I cry liar.
That’s like the “celebrities” claiming they’ll move to where ever if so/so gets elected…and they don’t. ALT…that’s noting but a scare tactic, and you know it.

In 2012, when unemployment is 10%, gas is $4/gallon, people are trying to put food on their tables and save their homes, pulling their hair out figuring out how to send their kids to college, praying for our soldiers in 4 wars, our economy collapsing, the POTUS on the verge of impeachment….no one, not nobody that’s a republican will be sitting on their hands, no matter who the candidate is.

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM

IMHO I don’t think Perry or Palin will have trouble raising money..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Perry will if he doesn’t have help. He’s never had to raise that kind of money before….especially from the “under $100″ group.
That’s the only kind of fundraising Sarah knows. ;)

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM

phreshone on July 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I find that totally unbelievable. where’s your proof.

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM

People like my mother will NOT vote for her. Period.
I’ll vote for her-but thanks to the antics some of her obsessed supporters…my support is becoming grudging rather than enthusiastic.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I still don’t believe that. Come back after election day and tell me that your mom did not vote that day.

tencole on July 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Heh…which is no doubt the reason for all the “Sarah Palin had better not even THINK about running” stories over the past 2 years. If Palin runs, I would wager that within a month she’s the frontrunner. It would become Palin vs Romney, and I’d have to bet on Palin.

She has NO shot, however, to win the election should she be our nominee. None.

xblade on July 13, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Which would mean then that Romney has less than no shot.

ddrintn on July 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I wrote a song to try and get Perry to run. It is sung to the tune of “Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy)“. Click the name for the link.

Here are my words:

“Had a Dream (We need you to run, Perry)”

Yeah!

Had a dream, Obama ran, in Twenty-oh-seven it all began,
And now it seems our President,
Ruining the government, Oh no!
Had a dream, Obamacare was the law everywhere,
Well that is not a thing you wanna see,
Ruining health industry, Oh no!

I don’t care what Obama thinks, Or give a damn, because he stinks,
I’d be fine if he’d only leave me alone,
Perry, its time, Gotta take a stance,
Cause you won’t get a better chance,
And you know now that we really need you to run!

Had a dream, a Libyan war, and Obama couldn’t tell me what it was for,
But it was something he could lie about, something to be sly about, Oh no!
Anytime, anyplace, Obama’s such a disgrace,
Out of the White House he ought to be,
So we can have recovery, you know!

Shake it up!

Perry, can you hear me? Can you please jump into the race?
Holding out until the fall would be such a disgrace,
We will elect you, we will elect you.

Had a dream that the debt was fourteen trillion and yet,
That it was not enough for their plans, not enough for their demands, Oh no!
And yet Perry waits, hesitates, he’s making such a mistake,
Jump in now and you will see, there will be a revelry, you know!

I don’t care what Obama thinks, Or give a damn, because he stinks,
I’d be fine if he’d only leave me alone,
Perry, its time, Gotta take a stance,
Cause you won’t get a better chance,
And you know now that we really need you to run!

Don’t you wanna win?
Don’t you wanna win?
Don’t you wanna win?
Don’t you wanna now?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Please tell me what you think, I am very pleased with it. :) :) :)

Theophile on July 14, 2011 at 3:51 AM

Rick Perry is nothing more than the GOP Estab’s “plan B”. Romney doesn’t seem to be working out. “what other safe candidate can we force down the voters throats?” they ask. Of course Governor Good Hair. Who is nothing but a GWBush style moderate-liberal Republican. Except when he’s campaigning. Then he talks tuff. Don’t fall into this trap, peeps! DD

Darvin Dowdy on July 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM

“And I think it’s time for us to just hand it over to God and say, “God, You’re going to have to fix this.” [...]
I think it’s time for us to use our wisdom and our influence and really put it in God’s hands. That’s what I’m going to do, and I hope you’ll join me.”
——–

IS THIS SOME EXTREMIST MUSLIM STATE?

IT’S TEXAS!!!!