Video: Tour Glenn Beck’s new digs

posted at 10:40 am on July 12, 2011 by Tina Korbe

You might have been able to guess it or have read it somewhere else yesterday, but Glenn Beck is officially moving to Dallas, Tex., where, he says, he’s going to “create jobs with people who know how to create jobs.” Here, via Gawker, the video tour of his new house:

Beck plans to build a film and television center as well as a radio center in Dallas. He’ll also be busy with GBTV, of course. Of his decision to move, he had this to say:

The thing I wanted to tell you is we are changing our life because I actually believe in the things that I tell you every day. And we’ve started GBTV which is already more wildly successful than we had imagined that we would be. It’s not even on the air yet and it’s already successful.

Stand together with GBTV and we’ll try to work together and change the country, based in Texas.

As somebody from cowboy country myself (I know, I know, you Texans think Oklahoma is nothing like Texas, but I think the states have a few similarities), I’m pretty excited for Beck to experience the low cost of living, lack of winter and pull-yourself-up-by-your-actual-cowboy-boot-straps work ethic that characterize the area.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That gym will make a nice spot for Glenn to hang his laundry.

RadClown on July 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM

How does the old joke go again?

Q: Why doesn’t Texas float off into the Gulf?

A: Because Oklahoma sucks.

NeverContango on July 12, 2011 at 10:48 AM

No, no, no, you got it all wrong!

Q: Do you know why Oklahoma is so windy?

A. Because Texas blows and Kansas sucks and it’s stuck in the middle!

Special K on July 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM

The illegal alien population is also completely off the chart.

esnap on July 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Yeah, that famous bumper sticker now reads:
No nací en Texas
pero
vene aquí tan pronto como podría

itsacookbook on July 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Isn’t Texas also known as “Baja Oklahoma”?

manwithblackhat on July 12, 2011 at 1:33 PM

For those who live in Texas, is every summer this hot or is this summer unusually hot? My son relocated from California to Dallas with In n Out. I worry about him in all this heat because he refuses to use air conditioning in his aprtment. He has lots of fans instead. I’m hoping this summer is an anomaly.

Rose on July 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Odie1941 on July 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Okay, then stfu. Ms. Kobe is a fairly new blogger and for you to get your panties in a twist over a minor error is annoying the hell out of everyone else.

Blake on July 12, 2011 at 1:43 PM

In case anyone cares, his house is here:

Glenn Beck’s New House

Nice place, right on the golf course.

Oh, and before anyone yells at me about “outing” his home, please understand, it took me less than 10 minutes to find it in Google Earth using the readily available pictures and information linked to in this story.

Also, his home is located within the Vaquero Estates gated community, so it’s not like anyone will be able to just stop by uninvited. There isn’t even Google Street View available So don’t freak out.

wearyman on July 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Hypocrite!!

I have absolutely no problem with Beck buying and living in a house as big as the Taj Mahal but it was just a few months ago that he was preaching to his listeners about getting rid of the unneeded things (i.e. furniture, clothes, etc) in their lives because we all have too much stuff.

He would go on and on and on about how he and his wife were selling their dining room table on some auction site like he was sacrificing and, I guess, becoming some sort of pauper.

Hey, Glenn, buy the biggest house you want but don’t be a hypocrite about your possessions!!

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Rose on July 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM

It depends on what part of the state you are in.
Here in the DFW area it is not that uncommon in July & August for the temp to be over 100 for days or weeks at a time. It started early this year. Unusual weather is normal here.

Tc0061 on July 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Thank you.

Rose on July 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

wearyman, don’t forget that in TX he’ll be able own guns to deal with any uninvited visitors.

120pages, when he starts advocating the government force us to buy smaller houses you might have a point besides the one on your head.

SDN on July 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Texans don’t know how to lay patio stones very tight.

BL@KBIRD on July 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM

wearyman, don’t forget that in TX he’ll be able own guns to deal with any uninvited visitors…

SDN on July 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Heh, and I have no doubt that he will avail himself of that opportunity as soon as possible.

Actually, it looks like a really nice place to have a house. If I had the money I’d buy that empty lot next door and put up my own home. Although I’m more partial to the Victorian look myself.

wearyman on July 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Argh. forgot to close my tag.

wearyman on July 12, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Rose on July 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM

If he can go without AC, good for him. I usually don’t turn it on until the temps get to 100. We had close to 60 days of over 100 temps a few years back… some years, we get lucky and get only two weeks. Hope he got his own home and he can insulate the beegeezus out of it.

itsacookbook on July 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

AMEN!

Machiavelli Hobbes on July 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

You totally misunderstood that program. Plus, that Texas home and grounds most likely cost less than his New York apartment. He will be running a business and won’t be in an urban environment like NY. He will need quarters for guests and employees who travel there. Lighten up!

cartooner on July 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Good Luck Glenn Beck.

I also moved from Conn to Texas in 1977.Never looked
back and only went back to visit once.

My house is just a tiny bit smaller. : )

Love, Love, Love Texas

Texyank on July 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Hypocrite!!

I have absolutely no problem with Beck Gore buying and living in a house as big as the Taj Mahal but it was just a few months ago that he was preaching to his listeners about getting rid of the unneeded things (i.e. furniture, clothes, etc) in their lives because we all have too much stuff.

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Edited by MechEng5by5

MechEng5by5 on July 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM

You totally misunderstood that program.
cartooner on July 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

“…that program.”?? At that time, I was a regular Beck radio listener and the preaching went on for weeks. Like I said, buy what you want but it comes off as disingenuous for a man worth $85 million to be bragging about downsizing his possessions a few months before plopping down millions on a new house (no matter what state the house is located).

“Lighten up!”?? Maybe you might want to use more common sense, stop making excuses for the inexcusable, and “lighten up” on swallowing all that kool-aid.

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Texans don’t know how to lay patio stones very tight.

BL@KBIRD on July 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM

LOL! I noticed that too :P

ornery_independent on July 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM

As envious as I am about the house Glenn can afford, I realize that he works very hard for what he has and pays a price that few of us realize.
Good for you Glenn! God Bless You!

SgtRed on July 12, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Oklahoma is nothing more than Texas’ hat.
*ducks*

carbon_footprint on July 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I’m glad that Glenn got out of the NY sewer and moved to Texas. Now he can enjoy the freedom of being able to do what he couldn’t in NY.
I hope he is blessed with many years of success because he stepped up to the plate and knew when to move on to a brighter future.
He will do well on his new venture. The liberals will learn soon what Truth is all about!

bones47 on July 12, 2011 at 4:18 PM

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Can you make blanket statements about whether or not he downsized? No only could he have gotten more house for the money in a different market but he may have changed his debt load. That is just as legitimate form of downsizing as square footage, as well as taxes, utilities, etc. etc.

Cindy Munford on July 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Rose on July 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM

This year is a bit unusual with the heat. We usually have it in the triple digits, but just for a few weeks. This year, it looks as if it will be a few months. The funny part is that this happens just after the climate change nuts stopped yelling about global warming and started yelling about global cooling. LOL! :) :) :)

I live in Lubbock and it has hit 110 degrees here several times already this year. Luckily, it is a cool 97 right now. :) :) :)

Anyways, welcome to Texas Rose and welcome to Texas Glenn Beck! :) :) :)

Theophile on July 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Excuse me, isn’t Beck RENTING his house? That’s what I read somewhere. How is renting less responsible than getting a multimillion dollar mortgage?

Beck Derangement Syndrome: an ugly malady

BemusedMalkinite on July 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Can you make blanket statements about whether or not he downsized?

Cindy Munford on July 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Well, I can only go by what Glenn says on his own radio show so it’s either one of two things. Either Glenn preached to his listeners about getting rid of all their “unneeded stuff” while telling us all about getting rid of his “unneeded stuff” in full detail or he lied on his radio show.

Maybe you need to go back and re-read my original post. I have no problem where Beck lives or how big his house is, I just have a big problem with someone acting like he is doing something sacrificial when he is actually just cleaning house to make room to buy newer and better things.

Shocker for you…I also think it’s hypocritical of Al Gore to travel back and forth across the world on private jets while preaching to us about carbon emmissions. Feel free to stick up for Al too if you feel like it.

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Beck Derangement Syndrome: an ugly malady

BemusedMalkinite on July 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Drink the Beck Kool-Aid Syndrome: swallow away.

You also need to go back and re-read my original post. I did not say anything about his responsibility (other than to his listeners) or the size of his mortgage. Obviously, you are not a regular Beck listener or you would have a clue about him selling his “beloved” dining room table (among many other things) but instead, you’re just clueless.

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Where everything’s bigger

Where everything is BEIGE. Ive never seen so much beige in all my life. This just convinces me further that he’s a mental case. It aint normal.

American Elephant on July 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Good God, 120pages, is Beck’s average listener a multimillionaire?

Does it occur to you that the typical listener might have a tighter budget than Beck does?

Does it occur to you that a multimillionaire TV/radio host might not want to tell people living on $40-60k a year to try to live like he does?

Seems to me like he’s living within his means. Where does the hypocrisy come in? Is it hypocrisy to give good advice that doesn’t apply to you, or are you only allowed to talk about yourself?

Merovign on July 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

How?
getting rid of “unneeded stuff” is subjective to the individual.

Example (KISS)
I live in S. Cal, “unneeded stuff” for me could be a Parka.
For someone who lives in Northern Idaho a Parka could be “needed stuff”.
Its subjective to the individual.

Nobody lied.

“in their lives because we all have too much stuff.”
“I guess, becoming some sort of pauper.”

How you interpret something is relevant only to you.

DSchoen on July 12, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Good God, 120pages, is Beck’s average listener a multimillionaire?

Merovign on July 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Blah, blah, blah, blah blah.

Now that we’re finished with totally irrelevant questions, can you please tell me what those questions had anything to do with my original post? Or did you just read the words “hypocrite” and “Beck” and after your head exploded, you decided to type some pointless questions?

Do you think Al Gore is a global warming hypocrite?

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM

How you interpret something is relevant only to you.

DSchoen on July 12, 2011 at 8:27 PM

So, what you’re saying is that Glenn’s new house (bought or rented which for some reason seems to matter so much to certain people) DOES NOT have a dining room table or chairs?

Could be pretty interesting at holidays and dinner parties. I guess he just has a bunch of those fold up TV trays to use.

120pages on July 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Hypocrite!!

Wait a minute. He sold a bunch of furniture, art, and other things in his home; relocated to a different part of the country with a lower cost of living and lower property taxes, got rid of the New York apartment that probably costs 10 times as much as what he would be paying for his Texas home; and you call him a hypocrite for it?! How much is Media Matters paying you?

mizflame98 on July 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Ahh yes, that quaint little town of Westlake. Glad to see he’ll be just another one of the Joneses. We welcome yet another net positive revenue generator to our humble state.

mule on July 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Westlake has some very large houses because the property taxes are so low in that little township. It is a smart move by Beck to move to Texas to save state income taxes.

Another smart organization – Exxon Corp – moved from New York to Irving, Texas back in the 1980′s. Irving is probably 15 miles away from Westlake the Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex. A lot of professional golfers also live in the DFW area due to the central location in the country and the ease in traveling anywhere. There are a few entrenched liberal Democrats in Dallas, but overall the area is very conservative and a friendly place to live.

Texas Mike on July 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM