Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

It’s not too often, as Bryan Preston notes, when a president tips his hand this early on what his tax policy will be if re-elected. Thankfully, Barack Obama is a special kind of President — the one who doesn’t get his brain engaged before his jaw when speaking extemporaneously, emphasis mine:

Bryan writes:

Re-elect me to get massive job killing tax hikes when I’m a lame duck and you can’t do a thing about it. That right there is a sure-fire winner of a message. If you want to morph into Walter Mondale circa 1984.

Romney’s campaign has already begun to circulate this, as has the RNC.  Don’t be surprised to see this clip featured in a lot of commercials in 2012.

It’s worth taking a moment to get serious and make a couple of points.  First, on the trajectory we’re seeing now, we’re not going to be in better position in 2013 than we are now; we’re going to be lucky if we manage to avoid a recession this year, and next year it’s probably unavoidable.  Second, if investors are looking at massive, job-killing taxes in 2013, why would they bother to invest now at all?  They’ll just have this much time to shelter their income and capital — which is exactly what will happen.  It’s similar to what’s happening with capital investors and ObamaCare now.  Killing the jobs will be well underway long before the tax hikes arrive in 2013.

Comments

My God, this idiot IS the 2nd Coming Of Jimmy Carter!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM

As I stated on another thread somewhere just talking about tax increases shaves a couple points off the GDP. Thanks, Barry.

JimK on July 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM

the strawman schtick fails!

heh

cmsinaz on July 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM

This needs to be hammered every day forever.This is the Obamateurism of the Year.

docflash on July 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Go Bryan Preston!

Another weapon.

I have been trying to say that Romney has the gifted guns to move in for months. It will be like watching Patton. Yea you laugh. Buy popcorn

IlikedAUH2O on July 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM

We have 14.4 trillion dollars in debt and rising we borrow 1.9 trillion dollars a year to pay our bills. That means we are adding about 2 Trillion and whatever the increase in interest cost annually.

There is no way OUR government can pay our bills by just increasing taxes on the wealthy. They will have to dip down into the lower tax paying brackets. The wealthy and successful are being thrown under the rhetorical bus now ….but make no mistake let me be perfectly clear “There is plenty of room under the bus for the rest of you” LOL!

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

The media is already in “fix-it” mode this morning. The media creatures have a full time job cleaning up behind this man and his wife.

Keemo on July 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

docflash on July 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM

you maybe right and it’s only July

cmsinaz on July 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

“Re-elect me and your taxes will go up”. Sounds like a campaign killer, but the problem is that Obama will phrase this in terms of the class warfare campaign he’s already conducting. It will be “Re-elect me and I’ll bring those billionaires and millionaires, private jet owners and evil corporations to their knees”. And the problem is that the socialists, the non-taxpaying masses and entitlement whores will buy it all hook, line, and sinker.

Trafalgar on July 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

My God, this idiot IS the 2nd Coming Of Jimmy Carter!

pilamaye

Nah… Not even Jimmah would pick up a red hot horse shoe a second time.

This dolt is doing this on purpose to put America in its “proper” place.

We may have nothing left to save by 2012.

Crusader Rabbit on July 12, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I am thinking that October 2012 will be a good time to go all-in on the S&P 500.

percysunshine on July 12, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Don’t be surprised to see this clip featured in a lot of commercials in 2012.

i’ll be upset if it isn’t used…

cmsinaz on July 12, 2011 at 8:16 AM

News flash: President to be laid off due to job-killing taxes.

NeighborhoodCatLady on July 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Yea, but the Pelosi types in his party are drooling and finding ways to spend more money already.

scalleywag on July 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM

yeah, the “wealthy” are people with two bucks in their pocket. no one is safe from Obama’s tax hikes.

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Man our candidate isn’t going to have to spend much on commerical ideas – Obama is going to gift wrap their entire ad campaign and give it to them on a silver platter.

Vote for me and pay more taxes – wow that’s catchy!

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 8:20 AM

How it can play: “Re-elect me and other people’s taxes will go up. (If you like your taxes you can keep your taxes….)”

apostic on July 12, 2011 at 8:21 AM

The Democrats are demonizing the Wealthy and Successful right now, but even taxing them at a higher rate isn’t going to be enough to plug the hole in the ballooning national debt. They have been playing divide and conquer. Do average middle class, and lower middle class Americans, really believe their tax rates are not going to be raised? Really? 14.4 Trillion and rising they want to raise the debt ceiling by 2 trillion this year….what about next year and the year after that? The argument being presented to the American people about who get’s their taxes raised is disingenuous. Remember “Shared Sacrifice” for the wealthy now, and for the rest of us down the road. The Road To Nowhere.

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Got an email. Romeny = Patton?

The media is like fortress Europe around Hitler protecting this program. It is not all bad but this is the wrong time.

We need D-day. Huge Romney army or Palin, Paw Paw popular uprising. A small frontal will not work.

Hey a lot of rum went into this idea.

IlikedAUH2O on July 12, 2011 at 8:23 AM

There already ARE job-killing taxes on the way after the next election. It’s called Obamacare. There’s a reason the ugly stuff doesn’t kick in til 2014.

Doughboy on July 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM

He wouldn’t do it if the Republicans would give in and do it for him. It’s the ‘blame Bush’strategy without naming Bush.
NOTHING IS THIS TURDS FAULT!!

darwin-t on July 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM

What’s scary is that many out there will see this as a resume’ enhancement.

TimBuk3 on July 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Trafalgar on July 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

And don’t forget, yesterday he also said he would be willing to go after best selling writers as well! We’re talking Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Dean Koontz, James Patterson; any best selling writer out there is now in his crosshairs!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM

What really honks me is his constant use of the word “folks”…does he think that he relates to all the little people better by using that term? For example, “Folks need to understand that I am trying to destroy the economy.”

search4truth on July 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM

He also said that we needed to get the debt under control so we could “invest” more money in other things like his infrastructure bank and state and local government. The federal government can never be too big in Barry’s eyes! Tax more so we can Spend more later! There is a slogan that progressives will love!

txmomof6 on July 12, 2011 at 8:28 AM

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM

GET OUT – he did?

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Vote for me and pay more taxes – wow that’s catchy!

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 8:20 AM

You could probably float a half dozen different examples of him contradicting himself or breaking promises. From closing Gitmo to the speeech as Senator calling it a failure to raise the debt ceiling to taxes and so on. I just hope whoever the Republican nominee turns out to be, he or she will have a media savvy campaign that exploits this stuff.

trubble on July 12, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Legal Insurrection caught another doozey:

At the press conference yesterday, Obama made an admission which directly undermines the Democratic campaign theme, and in fact reveals Democrats who want no changes to Medicare to be the real threat:

“And what I’ve tried to explain to them [Democrats] is, number one, if you look at the numbers, then Medicare in particular will run out of money and we will not be able to sustain that program no matter how much taxes go up. I mean, it’s not an option for us to just sit by and do nothing.”

What hurts Democrats the most is not even the part of the statement about Medicare running out of money, it’s the part “no matter how much taxes go up.” But isn’t that the Democratic plan, to raise taxes on the rich to save Medicare and other entitlements?

Hard for the Dems to run on Mediscare/Throw Granny Off the Cliff after that.

Wethal on July 12, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Declaring he will raise your taxes if elected is exactly what Walter Mondale did in 1984….that worked out good

georgealbert on July 12, 2011 at 8:31 AM

My God, this idiot IS the 2nd Coming Of Jimmy Carter!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Carter is a moron who couldn’t find his a$$ with both hands in his hip pockets, and he’s an Israel-hater as well. But I never believed he hated America. Obama hates America.

SKYFOX on July 12, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Yes! Spanking new tax hikes in 2013. That will surely win over a few people. /

RDE2010 on July 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Obama hates America.

SKYFOX on July 12, 2011 at 8:31 AM

With a passion

gophergirl on July 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Proposals under consideration include raising taxes on small business owners and potentially low- and middle-income families. You won’t hear about that from Obama. Instead the president focuses on the very rich, and speaks euphemistically.

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM

…any best selling writer out there is now in his crosshairs!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Heh. Y’know, the POTUS is a best selling writer (if not taking into account his ghost writer)….

apostic on July 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

“So, when you hear folks saying ‘Well, the president shouldn’t want massive job killing tax increases when the economy is this weak.’ Nobody’s looking to raise taxes right now. We’re talking about potentially 2013 and the out years.”

I can’t believe a President of The United States would say something like this.

The ads for the GOP are writing themselves. Just replay this clip over and over.

Just when I think I can no longer be shocked by this President…. Wow.

visions on July 12, 2011 at 8:38 AM

What a coward. If he wanted to hike taxes he had the ability to do it and accept the consequences like an adult when the Democrat majorities passed all the insane spending. They could have used the ‘nuclear option’ in the Senate like they did with Obamacare if necessary.

forest on July 12, 2011 at 8:40 AM

“Nobody’s looking to raise taxes right now. We’re talking about potentially 2013 and the out years.”

I challenge ANY foaming at the mouth lunatic talking head pundit on MSNBC to even TRY to put a positive spin on this one!

I’m taking Matthews, O’Donnell, Schultz, Ungar, Maddow, any of them!

I dare you! I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM

What??? his telep. not working! I love it,hey Mr. Competent,more please!!:)

ohiobabe on July 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM

I’ve never understood why he talks continually about millionaires and billionaires and then has the intended tax target as 250K. Of course if he went after true millionaires and billionaires he would be hitting his donor base.

Cindy Munford on July 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Cindy Munford on July 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Because he’s counting on his base not knowing whose taxes are actually going up under his proposal. Plus it makes for a better talking point for the Democrats and media(I know, I’m being redundant).

Doughboy on July 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM

search4truth on July 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM

When I hear him say “folks” my mind often goes here, being from Chicago and all…

Fallon on July 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I dare you! I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM
////
Are you kidding me?! They spin every stupid thing he says,he does nothing wrong in their eyes(at least off camera)right Halperin:):)

ohiobabe on July 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Doughboy on July 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM
/////
Exactamundo,baby!

ohiobabe on July 12, 2011 at 8:47 AM

ohiobabe on July 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

And if the can’t spin it they don’t report it, and if they don’t report it, it didn’t happen.

darwin-t on July 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Shared Sacrifice = Paying Taxes Is Patriotic. It’s good for you, eat your peas ;)

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I dare you! I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM

It’s a breach of protocol, but you should have gone straight for the Triple Dog Dare.

SKYFOX on July 12, 2011 at 8:57 AM

apostic on July 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

You refer of course to failed radical urban-terrorist wannabe/never amounted to much, and current 2nd rate hack liberal professor and legend-in-his-own-mind, William “Boom-Boom” Ayers?

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM

And don’t forget to down that crap sandwich being served on the side!

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM

The problem is that everyone is feeling economic pain of some sort and demagoguery can only take one but so far. The issue for me that those who still worship Obie will do so no matter what he says or does. However, the crowd that he is attempting to win over with his say one thing and do another schtick, hopefully see through this charade. Otherwise, we are in trouble.

30 pcs of silver on July 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Wow. Looks like a full-on LBJ 1-1/2 somersault with a twist off the Washington monument may be in his future.

ElectricPhase on July 12, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Zero also let a huge cat outta the bag in that speech which could end up being a career killer instead of a debt limit hiker. He stated during the part about taxing millionaires that he had extra money from the sale of his tremendously popular books that he didn’t need and at some point the ‘govt needed to decide just how much money people would be allowed to keep’. Then Chu comes out with his ‘the govt can’t let us waste our money on the wrong kind of light bulbs’. We are in a deeper ditch than we think with these socialists.

Kissmygrits on July 12, 2011 at 9:05 AM

pilamaye on July 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM

All I know is George R. R. Martin is doing well right now. In fact as his book just arrived on my Kindle, I am signing off for the next day or two so I can devour it! It has been a long wait. So happy!

txmomof6 on July 12, 2011 at 9:05 AM

“I remember those days clearly, sweating to get that mail,” she said. “That collection agency, the loan debt people calling you telling you that you’ve got a few more days before you’re in trouble.”

- Michelle Obama, 2008

Barry and Michelle couldn’t manage their own credit cards.

And now they want yours.

rogerb on July 12, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I don’t remember where but I read an article yesterday that was suggesting that a Value Added Tax was needed. I fully expect to see this start coming up in the dims talking points.

chemman on July 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM

1. What happened to his “not one thin dime” pledge?
2. Regardless of what else he does this week, this will get my vote for OOTW.

toenail on July 12, 2011 at 9:21 AM

chemman on July 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM

It will be framed as a pragmatic – adult approach to solving the national debt issue. They won’t call a ballooning national debt a “problem” they don’t use that kind of language. The Democrats don’t have “problems” the Democrats have “issues” it comes from years of listening to Oprah telling them so GRIN.

Hope & Change – A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Shared Sacrifice – Cod Liver Oil ;)

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Whatever happened to the Bush Tax Cut extension?

darwin-t on July 12, 2011 at 9:24 AM

ElectricPhase on July 12, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I do wonder if he can handle what he is going through, mentally. He has the one of the most difficult jobs in the world, and it’s his first real job. That has to be a shock to anyone’s system.

slickwillie2001 on July 12, 2011 at 9:39 AM

And some commenters even here call Palin and Bachmann extreme!

Christian Conservative on July 12, 2011 at 9:43 AM

rogerb on July 12, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Couldn’t Obama write another “magic bean” autobiography and have all his political operatives and worshippers buy them so we could get the country out of debt?

Fallon on July 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM

txmomof6 on July 12, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Thanks for reminding me! I knew there was something I was supposed to remember of do today :-)

Oldnuke on July 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM

apostic on July 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Meant to link to this as well…

Fallon on July 12, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Actually it’s not as dumb of a message as it might first appear. Who are the shoe in voters for Obama? This is class warfare. The 40% of more that don’t pay taxes won’t mind a bit how much Obama raises taxes.

Any business that’s been through the last 3 years with President Pull-Ups is still reeling from what ObamaCare will do to their business. They aren’t likely to vote for him. The coal industry sure won’t vote for him. So we have the non-producers and unions still on the hook. Unions tell their workers how to vote. Unions get special tax breaks by not having union dues taxed. It’s well worth the donations to Obama and a few more taxes (which they will probably be granted an exemption from) So, again, no problem there.

katablog.com on July 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Trafalgar on July 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

You said it better.

katablog.com on July 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

(If you like your taxes you can keep your taxes….)”

Right on – and it will work exactly the same as Obamacare.\

Shared Sacrifice = Paying Taxes Is Patriotic. It’s good for you, eat your peas, suck it down ;)

Dr Evil on July 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM

FIFY

katablog.com on July 12, 2011 at 10:02 AM

slickwillie2001 on July 12, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Certainly the first real job where anything was expected of him. I’m sure I can slip a prayer or two in there for Obama’s mental health…eventually.

SKYFOX on July 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM

“Re-elect me and your taxes will go up”.

Next campaign slogan will be: “I nearly destroyed America in 3 years; Give me 4 more years to complete the job.”

katablog.com on July 12, 2011 at 10:07 AM

This must be one of them New Age thingie.

“Read My Lips, I Am Going to Tax You to Death.”

Sir Napsalot on July 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM

He’s BRILL-IANT…!

Tim_CA on July 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM

But…

I thought the recession was over.

Didn’t The One end the recession lat year?

Is he saying he doesn’t want to raise taxes now because we are in a recession or that he can raise now because were not?

Stephen Macklin on July 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Barry doesn’t do well without a script.

GarandFan on July 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM

SKYFOX on July 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I had a very good friend who was also a spiritual advisor early in my reconnection with Christ. He had a wicked sense of humor. I was having trouble forgiving someone and praying for their success and well-being. My advisor told me there was nothing wrong with praying this person to go to heaven…..tonight!

odat on July 12, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Only dummies didn’t know his true marxist/socialit color, yet. Still, if they were in doubt, there they have it, right from the mouth of the horse.

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I don’t think that’s the horse’s mouth on display. :-)

rmel80 on July 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Read his lips.

2013 will be an “out year”–when HE is out!

Steve Z on July 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM

This man has never ran a business, started a business, dealt with crushing fed and state regulations, he’s never paid unnecessary fees and fines to the state and fed and we are to trust him?

Taxes are going up through Obowmacare in premium increases, less Medicare coverages and less doctor pay in 2013 and 2014 and Obowma plans to tack on even more tax increases. He is a liberal driven only by ideaology.

dthorny on July 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Obama, insert foot here——–> O

capejasmine on July 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM

To bluff or not to bluff that is the question…

chemman on July 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM