Is debating one’s record in a Presidential primary an unfair attack?

posted at 8:45 am on July 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, my blog partner Tina Korbe scolded Tim Pawlenty for making an argument that Michele Bachmann didn’t have executive experience or a record of Congressional accomplishment in her three terms in Washington as a comparison to his own experience as a governor in Minnesota.  Even though Tina says that Bachmann’s record in Congress is “admittedly a little thin,” she writes that Pawlenty looked thin-skinned for pointing it out.  My friend John Hinderaker wrote last night at Power Line that while he thinks that Pawlenty would make a better President than Bachmann, but that he “crossed a line” by pointing out why:

It is easy to sympathize with Pawlenty’s dilemma. I have supported both candidates’ campaigns financially and consider them both friends, but my own view is that Pawlenty would make a better president. (Either would be a hundred times better than Barack Obama.) Still, he is in a difficult situation, and did not improve it by going on the offense against his fellow Minnesotan. It is a fine line, sometimes, between touting one’s own credentials and denigrating those of a competitor, but Pawlenty crossed it. Unfortunately, most Iowa voters’ takeaway will be that Pawlenty is desperate because of his failure to gain ground in the polls. He will be well advised not to repeat his attack on Bachmann.

Holy buckets, as we say here in Minnesota!  Just what awful thing did Pawlenty say about Bachmann that crossed a line?  John and Tina offer the same quote, which John casts as taking the gloves off:

“Well, I like Congresswoman Bachmann. I’ve campaigned for her. I respect her, but her record of accomplishment in Congress is non-existent. It’s non-existent,” Pawlenty told NBC’s “Meet the Press.” …

“We’re not looking for folks who just have speech capabilities, we’re looking for people who can lead a large enterprise in a public setting and drive it to conclusion,” Pawlenty said, touting his own experience as a two-term governor of Minnesota.

Pardon me, but this seems like exactly the kind of criticism most of us launched at Barack Obama in 2007 and 2008, and which we wished John McCain would have more often launched at Obama during the general election campaign.

John says he likes and respects both candidates, as do I, and both of us know the two Minnesota candidates a little.  I also get that Republican primary candidates should save their most passionate critical salvos for Obama.  However, in a primary, the candidates have to campaign against each other, too — and experience and records of accomplishment have to be fair game, especially as close as most of the candidates are on policy (with a couple of exceptions).  Experience matters, and one of Pawlenty’s strengths is his executive experience.

Republicans want to make the case in 2012 that Obama is incompetent thanks in part to a lack of previous executive experience and any track record of accomplishment in the Senate.  That case will be hard to make if Republicans nominate someone from the House with no executive experience and no track record of Congressional accomplishment.  That’s as true of Bachmann as it is of Thad McCotter and Ron Paul (and Herman Cain, for that matter), but those candidates aren’t threatening to win the Ames straw poll next month, which is why Pawlenty compared his experience to Bachmann’s.

Frankly, this is exactly what is supposed to happen in primaries — contrasting experience and track records, arguing over policy, and eventually nominating the most effective candidate for the general election.  Bachmann needs to have an answer for this valid criticism — and she did provide one.  The supporters of individual candidates (and the candidates themselves) have to get used to taking some heat in a primary campaign, because if they can’t handle it now, they’ll fold when it comes to a general election.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 1:29 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM

i think a lot of people think if we air our dirty laundary it helps Obama as if Obama and the DNC do not know all of these things we are saying and will use them in the general

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yeah, I chuckle every time I see someone lamenting that we are helping Obama by criticizing a GOP candidate. As if Obama and the MSM don’t know everything we are saying about these guys and quite a bit more. One of the many reasons the MSM was so pissed at the Palin pick in ’08 is because they have a file about 7 inches thick on Mitt that they were hoping to drop like a hydrogen bomb. And they are still holding it in case he wins the nomination in ’12.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Rubio did very well on ElRushbo’s Radio Show!..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I liked your response. Now I am motivated to look into SP’s record for myself.

Thanks.

Really Right on July 12, 2011 at 1:33 PM

He’s betting on the media to set the narrative for him, which from his point of view isn’t a bad bet.

They have always been on the case for him, why would they stop now?

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I can certainly see him crossing his fingers for that. 2010 gave me hope that people are waking up. If moderates, Independants, and Dems don’t know in their gut by now this guy is a fraud (regardless of what they tell pollsters), we might as well hang it up for 2012.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM

and since timmy was considered a possibly pick they also have op research on him. as the ABc sotry showed last night they are quickly ramping up op-research on bachmann and Perry if he gets in will also have it don as will anyone that appears to be athreat. the more we vett the better shot we have in 2012 IMO

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Rubio did very well on ElRushbo’s Radio Show!..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM

agreed.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I liked your response. Now I am motivated to look into SP’s record for myself.

Thanks.

Really Right on July 12, 2011 at 1:33 PM

she has a movie coming out in 3 days that gives a good look at her record and why she is different form the others.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM

OT: Rush is hammering Obie..Very intense..:)

Dire Straits on July 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I liked your response. Now I am motivated to look into SP’s record for myself.

Thanks.

Really Right on July 12, 2011 at 1:33 PM

No problem. It is readily available from many web sources, and the movie is coming out.

I read Going Rouge, which was very informative.

It is really true that her background is pretty unique in politics, on either side of the aisle.

It’s a big reason I like her so much.

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Ed

Well, having a legislative record before 2010 would really be seen as an acomplishment

Bachmann’s opposition – vocal – strident – relentless – has helped define clearly the differences and stripped Pelosi and company of any clutter and cover that their actions pre 2010 were anything but baked grabs at socialism

And she took slings and arrows – got special attention to her opponents in her district – extra funding and still prevailed

Pawlenty is a hockey player who cant seem to get his gloves off – in these times – we need people who can step up and say – this is what I’m going to do – not gee – in a minority congress she didnt get any legislation passed

With the most liberal speaker, President and Senate in theis country’s history – not passing anything was a good thing

EricPWJohnson on July 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Ed

Well, having a legislative record before 2010 would NOT really be seen as an acomplishment

whoops! sorry left out that little word NOT

EricPWJohnson on July 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM

AH_C on July 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Puleeeze…..are you saying that no experience is better?

Just think, if Obama would have had any executive experience at all, he would have been able to execute his Marxist ideology and I shiver as to what the country would be like today.
You need both.

MB’s ideology and mine are basically the same, but if she can’t execute said ideology, how is that any better?
You need both.

MB has no executive experience…none, nada, zip. To me that’s just as important as the ideology.
You need both.

tencole on July 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

You need both.

tencole on July 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Why settle for half a loaf when you can have the whole.

unseen on July 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

MB and SP are NOT two peas in a pod in ideology. IMO, MB is the of the religious right that makes me extremely uncomfortable. SP lives her life by example and minds her own business. I like that a lot. MB seems to want to mind other people’s business and seems to be more of the ilk that wants to tell everyone how they should live while knocking them over the head with her bible. It’s just the impression I’ve gotten. That, combined with her lack of experience will keep me from voting for her. Those attributes of MB may not necessarily be on her congressional record, but I think they’re fair game. C’mon, we’re trying to choose the next leader of the free world ~ we shouldn’t examine them thoroughly and fairly? I’m not saying she and 0bama are remotely similar in ideology, but experience? Yes, I think it’s perfectly fine to compare.

greeneyedconservative on July 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I am sick and tired of these thin skinned women who don’t believe in a campaign their record is fair game. Also the crap that everyone is picking on them is getting old. Tim Pawlenty has a right to bring up her thin resume and time for people to quit spinning because it is the truth. American voters have a right to know when a candidate has a thin resume and no executive experience. Working for IRS is not executive experience.

I don’t care if I would agree with a candidate 100% which I do not with her, that experience factor would knock them out of the running IMHO.

Some of the people who went after Obama for no experience along with McCain are spinning for Bachmann which is a double standard. I am still going after Obama on my blog for his lack of experience even after a few years because he wants to be a dictator. If you were a Governor, you would know being a dictator doesn’t work and the the voters would have had a record to view as an executive.

I won’t vote for any candidate for President in the future without executive experience. Members of Congress need not apply for my vote and I don’t care who they are if they have not run their own business with more than a few employees or been a Governor or Mayor of a large city.

I support Governor Perry first and foremost with his vast experience, Pawlenty, Johnson, Cain, Huntsman, and Romney in that order. All others will not get my support, donations, and most importantly my vote. Tired of inexperienced people running for the Office of President with a thin resume no matter who it is and thin skin on top of that when someone questions their resume.

What is wrong with the Republican women and being picked on — if you cannot stand the heat of the Presidential race, then you shouldn’t be running.

PhiKapMom on July 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM

If Bachmann doesn’t like being criticized, she’s in the wrong line of work.

Frankly, she lacks the basic requirements to be a CEO of even a small-cap company. Would you hire someone with NO experience to run your company if you were on the hiring committee?

Adjoran on July 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

PhiKapMom on July 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM

That’s a hodgepodge of candidates…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I didn’t watch the BOR/MB interview. Did MB complain about what T-Paw said? Or, did she stick with her written statement rebuttal?

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Oh come on, Bachmann is running for President, not Miss Congeniality. All I heard for years was that Bush would not fight…McCain would not fight and now when someone as mild mannered as Pawlenty actually stands up and makes a case for himself we hear that he is a meanie.

Terrye on July 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I mostly agree with what you are saying, but the Palinistas are asserting that SP totally kicked ass as Alaska Governer, as if other Republicans, in the same position would not have done same.

Really Right on July 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Frank Murkowski

idesign on July 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

D@mn dude. The paragraph answer I was going to write, you summed up in two words. I admire skillful brevity.

Bravo.

miConsevative on July 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

She did not. I watched it twice, and don’t think it was even brought up. The video of the interview is in last nights QOTD thread. She did well.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Terrye on July 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Decades of pc…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM

That was what I gleaned from last nite’s QOTD thread. The comments from some today about MB being thin skinned had me wondering if she/her staff had put out another stmt today…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Terrye on July 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Bush and McCain were unwilling to fight leftists and democrats. Pawlenty is willing to whine about a Republican (a conservative one at that) whom he felt comfortable campaigning for.

I think you’re confused on the exact “fight” we’re looking for.

MeatHeadinCA on July 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM

MMA cage match…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Comments from the usual suspects. And I still haven’t heard Bachmann whining about Timmy picking on her. She released her statement yesterday regarding the Pawlenty attack and that was it.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM

More like a conglomeration of “usual suspects”…

When do you leave for the great white north?

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

If Michelle didn’t want her record to be criticized, she wouldn’t have filled out the paperwork for the primaries.

If Tina and John think they’re being too ‘hard’ on Rep. Bachmann, boo-f’ing-hoo… I’m sorry, but that’s politics in today’s modern world. (and I’m saying this as someone who like Bachmann as one of my “fallback” candidates.)

DaSaintFan on July 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM

When do you leave for the great white north?

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

12 days………..July 24th.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM

See if you can get that gurl up in AK decides what she wants to be when she grows up. There was a cookbook, then a cabin in the boonies, then a house in town, now college…/

Oh, you should come down here before your trip. The 100+ temps will provide a counter to Alaska’s 60′s…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I don’t think MB is being thin skinned. I do think there is a little chivalric “don’t attack the lady” reaction going on. She’s a big girl plenty capable of firing back, which she did, and in no way lacking surrogates. Let’s let them fight it out, as long as we don’t get too below-the-belt or distracted by irrelevancies. It will make the candidate stronger.

We have to be able to distinguish between reasonable and unreasonable criticism. “Her record is light” = reasonable. “I don’t like her stance on X” = reasonable. “She’s a flake” = unreasonable.

alwaysfiredup on July 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Good gravy! If Bachmann can’t stand the scrutiny, then she needs to just go home. I want every candidate completely vetted so Obama can’t come up with a surprise.

csdeven on July 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM

The criticism of legislative heft is fine. But then if Tim has a holy chance in hell of pulling up his support, he has to hit Romneycare in a debate. Oh, he passed on that. Nevermind.

AshleyTKing on July 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM

AshleyTKing on July 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM

One debate does not a campaign make. There will be more opportunities.

alwaysfiredup on July 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM

alwaysfiredup on July 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Comparing MB to Obama is also unreasonable.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Puleeeze…..are you saying that no experience is better?

You need both.

You need both.

You need both.

tencole on July 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

My point is that Obie has no experience and look at how well he was able to implement his half-baked ideas. Now imagine how much more damage he could accomplish if he had experience to go with it.

Or imagine the enhanced damage that Nappy or Selbelius, both who have had the experience and the same ideology could have accomplished. We already have such an example with experienced & “christian” Jimmy Carter.

It is not his inexperience that is killing us, it’s his marxist/progressive ideology.

MB can accomplish much in accordance with her conservative ideology, and Sarah Palin can accomplish much more given her experience.

If faced with choosing experienced Mittens vs inexperienced MB, I’ll take her any day over Romney, because her ideas are right & constitutional while Mittens’ are wrong and he’ll stretch the constitution to advance his milquetoast ideas.

I know we’re on the same side, we just need to be clear about who/what are we shooting for.

Reagan was able to accomplish much against a Donk congress because of his experience and if he had a GOP congress, he would have accomplished more — and no amnesty or some of the other concessions he had to make. But where he didn’t concede was on the things that really mattered most, i.e. the cold war.

If MB gets elected and we send her to DC with a strong conservative majority to back her, she will accomplish much good. Send her with a donk majority in both houses and she’ll stumble here and there, but I think she can draw the line on things that really matter today, i.e. taxes, economy, Judicial appointments & killing off some of the 3 letter agencies.

Alternatively, put Mittens in with a GOP majority and he’ll strong-arm/sweet-talk congress into leaving 90% of the status quo alone, substitute fees for taxes. Put him in with a donk majority and for SCOTUS, we’ll get moderates to go along with conceding, not fighting, to the libtards in order to be bi-partisan.

It’s not about comparing MB to Obie, but comparing her to Mittens, Rudy, Huntsman and other CINOs. Which of them will best right the ship? The one with the experience but wrong ideas or no experience but right ideas.

And most of all don’t forget that POTUS doesn’t operate in a vacuum. Effectiveness is influenced by the cabinent and others surrounding POTUS.

To paraphrase the friends/enemies proverb; A friend (RINO) of my enemies (libtards) is my enemy.

Again, experience, or the lack thereof, is not the enemy, ideology is.

AH_C on July 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Comparing MB to Obama is also unreasonable.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

As long as the complaint is specific, I don’t see why. We compare Romney’s health car plan to Obama’s health care plan all the time.

alwaysfiredup on July 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM

She’ll announce she’s not running while I’m up there and will endorse Perry.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM

She’ll announce she’s not running while I’m up there and will endorse Perry.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Or not.

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Is debating one’s record in a Presidential primary an unfair attack?

Only if your 0bama.

Greed on July 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

csdeven on July 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Fantastic. I look forward to your deep, supstantive criticisms of Mitt in the next Romney thread beyond just “Please don’t throw me into that briar patch make me vote for that rino!”

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Just keep the bigoted religious comments out of the discussion.

csdeven on July 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Just keep the bigoted religious comments out of the discussion.

csdeven on July 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Uhhh…I am a Mormon there, Champ.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Uhhh…I am a Mormon there, Champ.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM

lol

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM

The weak-suck RINOs on HA are in full mode.

A fish rots from the head….

TexasJew on July 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Careful criticizing pawlenty, Tina, that’s ed’s next goal in life, pres pawlebty’s press secretary. ed also has a thing about Bachmann, he threw her under the bus after chris matthews ambush and the msm attack on her last year.

peacenprosperity on July 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Is debating one’s record in a Presidential primary an unfair attack?

To talk about accomplishments is one thing, to claim someone should have certain accomplishments based off of ridiculous criteria (“You’ve been in the house for one year in a dem controlled govt and you have no major legislation?”) is another.

The simple fact is given her time in the fed govt and the circumstances surrounding that it is unfair to expect that she should have major legislation passed by now.

clement on July 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

She’ll announce she’s not running while I’m up there and will endorse Perry.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I guess the eye doctor gave you the wrong hormone shot…Please reread and get back to me…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

You missed it, too…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Again, experience, or the lack thereof, is not the enemy, ideology is.

AH_C on July 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I rest my case… See the new thread dedicated to experienced governor Sebelius really OC mandate is good, good for small businesses.

AH_C on July 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

You missed it, too…

Gohawgs on July 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Got it now, and I am and I will.

Knucklehead on July 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I will bet any takers 100 dollars that if SP does not run Brian1988 will cry like a baby.

CW on July 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM

CW on July 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I’ll take you up on that action, depending on how you are defining “cry like a baby”.

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Calling her record “nonexistent” is certainly stretching it.

But.

Yes, this is the primary season. When else would Pawlenty make his case that he’s a better candidate than Bachmann?

tom on July 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

CW on July 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I see you’re at it again.

Can’t help but be jerky towards me for no reason, can you?

I don’t know what your problem is, but you need help.

I’m not playing your stupid little games, you contribute nothing of value that have ever seen. All you’ve done is change my username in your dumbass little snarky turds you leave behind, again for no reason that I can see.

You aren’t worth addressing beyond telling you how worthless you have been to every conversation you have appeared in, which hasn’t been many that I’ve seen. Now you have some idiotic jihad against me that doesn’t even make any sense.

For the final time, don’t waste the effort in this direction because I find you to be uninteresting, and not particularly clever at it.

If you wanted to discuss something in a reasonable manner, like for instance what I would do if Sarah Palin is not going to run for President, you could just ask like a normal person instead of behaving like some strange creepy mental patient.

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I will bet any takers 1,000 dollars that if Sarah Palin does run for President I won’t give half a sh!t what this CW person thinks about any of it. :)

Brian1972 on July 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM

MB made shortwork of TP’s limpwristed barbs –
Soo Primarily speaking: Mush ado ’bout nuttin!

‘Ceptin Capt. Ed gettin his kicks wrestling with the new girl over his old flame, TP… Although, tis somewhat less grating than the Skipper’s air guitar act …

“Let’s Roll”