Video: Hey, let’s ban some conservative books

posted at 7:00 pm on July 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

A depressing experiment conducted by Rebel Pundit — at a Chicago literature festival, no less. Too bad he didn’t ask for party identification, as I’m keen to know if there’s any significant split on this issue between liberal and conservative men-on-the-street. Believe it or not, First Amendment issues don’t poll as well as you might think. A 2005 survey of high school kids found more than one in three thought the text of the amendment goes “too far” in protecting civil liberties, with only 83 percent saying that people should be allowed to express unpopular views. Another poll of adults conducted last year by the First Amendment Center found that 49 percent(!) think the amendment goes “too far,” a 10-point increase since 2001. Makes me wonder if that change is entirely driven by concerns about terrorism or if terrorism has forced a broader rethink of the First Amendment in some people that leads to the jackassery you’re about to see. Re: the latter, based on the anecdotal evidence here, I suppose not. Anyone think the “let’s ban ‘Going Rogue’” crowd also supports, say, getting tough with terror detainees?

Exit question: Does the fact that only one half of one percent voted to ban Mein Kampf prove that the participants here weren’t taking this very seriously? Or does it prove that they’re only willing to ban books that pose some sort of political threat to them right now?

Comments

I found the possibility of this unbelievable. What is wrong with people, I mean liberals.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Let me be first to apologize for the idiots who surround me in Chicago.

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Did anyone vote “none?”

ncborn on July 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Mein Kampf

They can’t pronounce it let alone digest it. A garage sale item along with the ab-twister.

Limerick on July 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM

They were all prominent on the top row, so the objective was obvious. I’d wager not many took this seriously.

mythicknight on July 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Ironically for all the talk about Hitler this and Nazi that, no one really wanted to ban his book. Instead all they wanted to ban were Conservative books

I wouldn’t mind seeing this repeated at a conservative book store or fair or something though I know the answer already

Defector01 on July 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Too bad he didn’t ask for party identification

Dude, it’s a lit. fest. Besides, everybody knows conservatives don’t read.

Christien on July 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM

But…but…liberals are ALLWAYS on the side of freedom.

Oil Can on July 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM

What is wrong with people, I mean liberals.

Asked and answered.

Scribbler on July 11, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I think the interpretation has gone too far on occasion. I don’t think the availability of Hustler at the local Kwik E Mart was the driving force behind the amendment.

mankai on July 11, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Well in fairness they saw Beck, Palin and Coulter in the top row and ran out of the three to ban. My guess is putting Mein Kempf in the top row would see it getting banned more often.

amazingmets on July 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Did anyone vote “none?” “Nein?”

ncborn on July 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM

portlandon on July 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM

The Left, always the authoritarian impulse.

They don’t want to read about why that fails and, thusly, condemn themselves to failure and millions to death.

ajacksonian on July 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM

this is absolutely scary!

grapeknutz on July 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Over 70 times as many people voted to ban “Going Rogue” as voted to ban “Mein Kampf”. I would be shocked if a single one of them could articulate what dangerous ideas Palin’s book purportedly contains. If you got a response at all, I’m assuming it would be an almost inchoerent sputtering rant about how she criticized him and he is just trying to do his best to clean up the mess the Republicans made or something.

Just goes to show you, Obama’s supporters are every bit as thin skinned and every bit as willing to wipe their a$$es with the constitution as their messiah is.

Kataklysmic on July 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM

And the public school agenda continues to succeed. Sprinkle on a few hate crime laws and watch out baby.

miConsevative on July 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Too bad they didn’t throw the Bible and koran in for good measure.

Christien on July 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Ayn Rand weeps in her grave.

That so many young dummies just marked the board, mindlessly, without saying “ban none, agree or disagree” is very depressing.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I wouldn’t take any survey of high school kids seriously. The kids in my childrens’ classes, except for a few, were completely clueless about government, economics, history, or just about any subject that isn’t covered by reality TV and iTunes.

The left is always about ‘free speech for me but not for thee”.

Common Sense on July 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM

this is absolutely scary!

grapeknutz on July 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM

This does not surprise me in the least. Millions of far-left democratics in our country would put conservatives into reeducation camps in a second.

slickwillie2001 on July 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I don’t know why anyone would want to ban any books at all.

Kini on July 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM

But…but…liberals are ALLWAYS on the side of freedom.

Oil Can on July 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM

…and erudite, superior, liberal, democratic, progressive.

They are neither. Fight them like the devil. Their stupidity will destroy you.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Guess which state ranks dead last in Forbes ranking of financial health of states?

Related?

Oh, yeah.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Dude, that did take place in Illinois after all… they are starting to make California look normal over there…

RedbonePro on July 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I don’t know why anyone would want to ban any books at all.

Kini on July 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I don’t know why anyone would even consider doing this survey.

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Also, he should’ve put out hardcopies of the books with dustjackets switched, a cup in front of each, and have participants choose by dropping a match in the cup for each book they wanted banned.

Then, after they voted, remove the dustjackets of their selections–a literal don’t judge a book by its cover lesson.

Christien on July 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

To paraphrase Stephen Hopkins(signed the DOI from Rhode Island): I have yet to see, hear, or smell an idea that is so dangerous that it can’t be discussed.
Ban no books!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Related?

Oh, yeah.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Another reminder of why we left…

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I think I am going to read Mein Kampf just out of curiosity.

EnochCain on July 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Scary that the people didn’t immediately recoil at this notion, but some of the ‘bandwagon effect’ was going on.

The main problem here is that the ideas of the Socialist-Left can’t stand up to real debate, so they need to shut down any opposition.

Somewhat ironic that one of their self-labels is the term ‘Liberal’ which implies more than a passing fancy with the concept of Liberty.

Chip on July 11, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Why does anybody think they have the right to decide what others can or can not read?

gullxn on July 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM

gullxn on July 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Why do people blame Palin for using crosshairs on a map when many others have done the same?

Power.

CW on July 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Our founders gave us freedom but Marx knew how to use it.

Speakup on July 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Related?

Oh, yeah.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Living near Chicago my whole life…this is not surprising. Talk about having a vote that doesn’t count.

-Illinois has a population of 13 million with Chicago and it’s ‘burbs having 10 million of it.
-Our last governor election found Quinn winning, having only won 3 out of 102 counties….running on the platform that he would raise taxes (and he did)…..incredible ain’t it. Granted one of the counties was Chicago but still….this had stench all over it.
-We are the only state in the union without a concealed gun carry law.
-We have THE HIGHEST gas prices in the whole country….$4.69/gallon today.
-We have had 4 Governors end up in jail under corruption charges….and now this same “Chicago Machine” is running the country.
-We have Bobby Rush, Jessie Jackson Jr, Luis Gutierrez, Jan Schakowsy (I almost can’t say her name)…all Congressmen from the Chicago area…..’nuff said.
-After the last census, Illinois looses 2 congressmen and with Quinn doing the re-districting I’m sure they’ll be republicans…….my district too. It will be Hultgren against Walsh…..I was just polled yesterday about them. urgggggg!

That “book banning poll” does not surprise me in the least.
It doesn’t surprise me that those polled, didn’t even question “book banning”.
It doesn’t surprise me that Savage didn’t get any votes…they probably didn’t know who he was.

My hubby and I are counting the days until we can retire and move ANYWHERE else.

tencole on July 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I don’t know why anyone would even consider doing this survey.

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Well, it’s definitely a great way to smoke out the hypocrisy of all these “tolerant” and “freedom loving” libs. However, I’m guessing that’s not what the organizers had in mind.

Kataklysmic on July 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Another reminder of why we left…

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I left Cook County in 1999.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I know it’s rhetorical, but they are retarded.

Sporty1946 on July 11, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I left Cook County in 1999.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

We left Chicago heights in April.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I left Cook County in 1999.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

For DuPage? Leaving Cook County is not far enough for me.

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM

For DuPage? Leaving Cook County is not far enough for me.

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Ha.

No, Utah.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM

OT: Have y’all seen this?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Ha.

No, Utah.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM

We’re in Texas.
I don’t even want to go back to Illinois to visit-lest I catch what’s there and bring it home.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM

WTF is in the water?

upinak on July 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Ha.

No, Utah.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I guess that’s far enough. How’s the weather in the winter?

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

The told me if I voted for John McCain…

phreshone on July 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Even more disturbing to me is the link from the First Amendment Center.

Seven in 10 respondents agreed newspapers should publish freely, a slight drop from 2001. Those less likely to support newspaper rights included people without a college education, Republicans, and evangelicals, the survey found.

So conservatives (well Republicans anyway) are just as bad as the people who were selecting those books for banning in the video. As an evangelical conservative, I find that even more disturbing. The very people who are electing Republicans because they go on about defending the Constitution are just as willing to toss our rights away as long as it mostly effects people on the other side of the political spectrum.

I expect that idiocy from liberals not from my fellow conservatives.

Benaiah on July 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM

No surprise. This was done in PBHO’s home town after all.

MJBrutus on July 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

“I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.” – Voltaire (1694 – 1778).

Voltaire knew censorship very well in his lifetime, since his writings resulted in his incarceration, exile, and confiscation of books.

Realizing they couldn’t compete with conservatism in the free marketplace of ideas (e.g., Air America), left winguts continued in their efforts to silence talk radio with “Fairness Doctrine” legislation and failed.

Now, some Marxist wannabes want to silence conservatism in its written forms. Someone forgot to tell those numbskulls that the so-called “Fairness Doctrine” is DEAD. Once again, they cannot deal with the commercial success of conservative communications.

This is America, not Obamaville. We follow the spirit of Voltaire, not the silence-the-opposition thuggery of Hugo Chavez.

OneVision on July 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM

No surprise. This was done in PBHO’s home town after all.

MJBrutus on July 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Printer’s Row is in Chicago-not someplace in Hawaii.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I guess that’s far enough. How’s the weather in the winter?

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Relatively surprisingly mild. The lack of humidity means the “cold” doesn’t penetrate, plus it’s way sunnier and the sun is warmer at the high altitude (approx. 4200′). A good sweater gets you though most of the winter months. And when it snows, you can recreate in it (ski, snowshoe, etc). The climate here is really nice. It’s clean. 4 seasons and VERY pleasant neighbors.

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

OneVision on July 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I just love it that you got the Voltaire quote correct!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM

this confirms so much.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Amazing….if I were to run onto something like this, I would have said NONE! As most right thinking Americans SHOULD say.
Just because you don’t like a book, should those that do not have the opportunity to read it?
Same as what’s on the radio or TV. 90% of what I think is garbage, but if someone wants to watch or read it, I could care less.

p51d007 on July 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I guess that’s far enough. How’s the weather in the winter?

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Oh come on!
Lubbock’s got great weather except for the drought and dust and 100+ in the shade.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

aquaviva on July 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Thanks. I’m exploring all options. I’m still here because I’m taking care of my folks.

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

My Ma refuses to move from Thornton. She says Texas is too hot/too big bugs and she won’t talk to my brother about moving to Valpo w/him and my sister-in-law.
Grrr.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Let me be first to apologize for the idiots who surround me in Chicago.

Knucklehead on July 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I lived in Chicago for ten years and now live in the Detroit area. I never thought I would be saying this but I believe Chicago is becoming worse than Detroit in many ways. Weekend killings in Chicago not outnumber Detroit’s. Chicago closed some beaches over Memorial Day weekend with the mayor and police superintendent claiming it was because of the heat – not because of gang activity. 911 tapes obtained by local radio stations proved the closings were gang-related. Besides, why would you close a beach because it’s 88 degrees?

Detroit has more than its share of problems, but at least Mayor Dave Bing is an honest man who is trying to do what’s best for the city. Rham Emmanuel is a crook as has been every previous Chicago mayor probably since 1900. “Charley” McCarthy, Chicago’s new police superintendent is a living, breathing joke.

In Michigan the GOP now controls the governorship and both houses of the state legislature as well as the state supreme court. Michigan just recinded a state business tax, which was one of the most oppressive in the country. Michigan is doing everything it can to attract new business, while Illinois is working tirelessly to antagonize business. I suspect Michigan may actually be able to attract some Illinois businesses.

bw222 on July 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM

tencole on July 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

You forgot to mention obama! ;)

Jon Fezzik on July 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

You also have Red Raiders football.

bw222 on July 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM

So……….who is really anti-choice? I think we already knew.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Chicago, Chicago, it’s a Trotskyite town.

mankai on July 11, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Why not just burn some too why you’re at it.

JellyToast on July 11, 2011 at 8:02 PM

These people literally don’t THINK. Just because you don’t personally agree with or like the philosophy of someone else, doesn’t mean their work should be banned outright.

These are the folks who’d be putting up displays in libraries during Banned Books Week, proudly showing which books they wouldn’t ban, totally forgetting they voted to ban some conservative books on a hot July day two-three months earler.

Speaking of libraries and banned or not books….

theotherone on July 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I think I am going to read Mein Kampf just out of curiosity.

EnochCain on July 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Get your patience hat on – I read it several years ago and had to do it tour de force or I wouldn’t have gone back to it. The curious thing about MK is how many Democrat Party talking points you’ll find in it.

The two parts were written at separate times, and the younger Hitler saw himself as something of a polymath – there are plenty of curiosities littering the text. For anyone interested in reading MK, I’d read Part I of Shirer’s “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” first, just to get some historical context (I’d recommend reading the whole thing, actually – my vote for best nonfiction book of the 20th century, Rise and Fall, not MK, obviously). After reading Shirer’s sober commentary of what led to the rise of Hitler and ultimately how he consolidated his power in such a short period of time, MK is much easier to follow.

elcapt on July 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM

You also have Red Raiders football.

bw222 on July 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Everyone and their cousin wears ‘Tech shirts-well everyone except me…because I refuse to be a sheeple. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Banning books isn’t a sign of tolerance…just sayin. I don’t think any of these folks could call themselves Liberals or Libertarians they are something else….

Dr Evil on July 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM

This has to be the most moronic stunt I have ever seen!

The fact that it was performed in Rahmville……I mean, Chicago, only makes it worse!

pilamaye on July 11, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Ban all books, and other written material, by the Founding Fathers.

Lon Chaney on July 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Ban all books, and other written material, by the Founding Fathers.

Lon Chaney

they have through refusal to even acknowledge they were anything but racist thought criminals

Defector01 on July 11, 2011 at 8:18 PM

It’s phukkin’ Chicago Illinois, what do we expect?

darwin-t on July 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM

What is really telling is the 3 authors they wish to silence.

darwin-t on July 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Fascism comes easy to a society easily led.

Is it out of the realm of probability that the creation of a totalitarian single-party state that seeks the mass mobilization of our Nation through indoctrination; which demands the purge of forces, ideas, and systems deemed to be the cause of decadence and degeneration; and produce a national rebirth based on commitment to the national community is on our near horizon?

This is what community organizers do. Incrementally, one change at a time, and fundamental change in our national fabric becomes reality. Fabianism (socialism to be established by gradual reforms within the law) and Fascism (totalitarian one-party rule) work hand in hand these days.

This stuff is no longer laughable.

coldwarrior on July 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Should have mentioned that “progressives” were going to hold a book-burning that evening, then give the idiots a chance to pick which books to burn.

Each would then be given a Brown Shirt for their participation.

GarandFan on July 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Liberals are constantly telling us that they are the paragons of “tolerance”, “inclusiveness”, “diversity”, “dissent”, and “human rights”. I guess it is only true if you agree with them.

We are living in frightening times.

DeathB4Tyranny on July 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Meh. Bunch of BS. He doesn’t indicate how many simply refused to ban any books at all.

Hal_10000 on July 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM

And yet these tools will be the first to call you intolerant for disagreeing with them.

Yakko77 on July 11, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Hal_10000 on July 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM

That so many didn’t is still telling.

Yakko77 on July 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Hal_10000 on July 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM

First link: “Nine people explicitly stated to us they thought banning books was wrong, … This accounts for 0.6% of the votes cast.”

slickwillie2001 on July 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hal_10000 on July 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM

In our country there shouldn’t be any.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Too bad they didn’t throw the Bible and koran in for good measure.

Also, it’s interesting that 0% wanted Savage banned. They probably figured banning the man himself from the birthplace of literature was already sufficient.Christien on July 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM

No, none of them know who he is. He remains an irrelevant, late night health food huckster and part time restaurant reviewer….

TBinSTL on July 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

mythicknight on July 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Then why stop and mark a board? I see things like this I say No Thanks! If the people who did mark the board only choose the top row because they were too lazy to look at all the selections then we have another problem as well. My best guess would be that those three books/authors were choosen because that’s who these sheeple have been brain washed into thinking are evil.

VikingGoneWild on July 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM

“1984″
Hitler’s Germany
The Dark Ages
The Communist Revolution in the former U.S.S.R.
Mao’s Chinese Communist revolution

Hey dweeb, look at the company you’re keeping.

Mark7788 on July 12, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Well, they way he did it with people seeing hashmarks below the books showing the count of the previous people, it lends itself to peer pressure bias.

Someone walks up and see a large number of votes for one particular item, regardless of whether they agree or not, they’ll most likely add to that large pile of numbers so they don’t have to risk being an outsider.

This is right along the lines of the Asch conformity experiments back in the 50′s.

People want to conform.

Bad data in this video.

ButterflyDragon on July 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM

TBinSTL on July 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Of course that was my first thought, as well. Still, it’s ironic that the only one that got 0% is by the only one who is banned.

Christien on July 12, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Christien on July 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM

huh? Egypt, China, Greece, Israel and so many more countrys and cultures have a much better claim to the birthplace of literature. Alexander the Great built one of the most famous librarys in the world. I think you might be off by a millennium. I do agree that many classics were saved by monks in England and Scotland during the Dark Ages.

IowaWoman on July 12, 2011 at 4:27 AM

IowaWoman on July 12, 2011 at 4:27 AM

Reflecting on my post, I wish to change millennium to several millennium.

IowaWoman on July 12, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Seriously, why does anybody with half a brain still live in Illinois? I don’t understand it. The entire state is a Democratic (Socialist) paradise, which means bankruptcy, corruption and scandals. It also means violence and a loss of civil liberties. I would move as soon as humanly possible.

Theophile on July 12, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Theophile on July 12, 2011 at 4:35 AM

I think most people are able to disconnect their home/community/city from the general corruption in their state. They think perhaps, “that’s Chicago or Springfield, not Knoxville or Wataga”. They may also feel powerless to affect change. Just as likely though that they don’t see how it impacts their life unless the corruption costs them their job or their home or keeps them from pursuing other personal interests. It’s some other guy’s problem.

SKYFOX on July 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM

This “experiment” was silly. He had all the conservative books he wanted them to pick on the very top row. Most people chose the conservative books, but why? If some guy approached me and was recording our conversation and said, “hey, you’re on camera! would you like to ban some books! choose 3, any 3!” I would probably panic, choose the first 3 I could easily reach, then scoot along as quickly as possible.

Is that the case here? Plus, as someone else pointed out- if you walk up and see a million tics for book A, you might feel like a dummy choosing book D that no one else voted for. People want to fit in, we all know that.

Experiments like this never produce any valuable results because the way they’re set up- too many variables that aren’t considered.

TheBlueSite on July 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Remember, Hitler was elected. What types of people elected him? Hmmmmm. I’ll bet they go to “literature” conventions. I’ll bet they love the idea of books being banned.

Pablo Snooze on July 12, 2011 at 10:58 AM

No surprise. This was done in PBHO’s home town after all.

MJBrutus on July 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Nairobi? :)

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM

mythicknight on July 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM

VikingGoneWild on July 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM

The fact that they voted to ban any book tells me all I need to know! The First Amendment for me and never for thee!
Thank God and the Founding Fathers for the Second Amendment!

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 12:06 PM

A better question would have been: Shall we ban literature conventions?

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM