Former White House staffer v. Michelle Obama on anti-obesity guidelines

posted at 6:25 pm on July 11, 2011 by Tina Korbe

A former White House staffer is at the helm of a coalition’s efforts to combat federal efforts to create new voluntary nutritional guidelines for foods marketed to children, according to the Washington Post.

The coalition declined to release its budget for the campaign, which is being managed by Anita Dunn of the firm SKDKnickerbocker. Dunn served as White House communications director under President Obama in 2009 and is married to Robert F. Bauer, the former White House counsel.

Her work on behalf of foodmakers is surprising to some because first lady Michelle Obama has made childhood obesity her signature issue. In a speech last year to food manufacturers and retailers, the first lady urged them to curb the marketing of unhealthy foods. …

Dunn dismissed the criticism.

“Without resorting to personal attacks, everybody should be able to work together towards a common goal here,” she said. “At the end of the day, combating childhood obesity is not a question of what gets advertised but a matter of more exercise, healthier eating habits and working together.”

Precisely. The First Lady — and the four agencies tapped by Congress to create the new guidelines (the Federal Trade Commission, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration and the Agriculture Department) – might like to pin the blame for the nation’s shocking rates of childhood obesity (one in three kids!) on the food and beverage industry and the $2 billion the industry spends annually to market its products to kids but, until parents and guardians (and, at a certain age, the children themselves) take responsibility for what kids eat, weight problems will persist.

In the Washington Post article, one proponent of the new guidelines said, “We allow companies into our homes to manipulate children to want food that will make them sick.” But that’s the catch: We allow. If parents don’t want their kids to see that Happy Meal commercial, they can mute the TV or turn the channel or, better yet, turn off the TV entirely and go play with their kids outside.

In the meantime, one economic analysis suggested the government’s guidelines would kill 75,000 jobs annually, which, to me, makes opposition to their proposal a no-brainer at a time of 9.2 percent unemployment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

JellyToast on July 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM

You may be right, as usual, Jelly (approaching el Rushbo’s 99.7 rating). When I’m rebuked by you, I know I’ve had a serious whippin’. It’s just that MSM has made such an issue of her “glamorousness”, and relentlessly tried to cram it down our throats, with all this deflection about her arms, that I think somehow we need to push back on that glorification meme. It defies common sense, it’s insulting, and I can’t stand it any longer.

petefrt on July 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Michelle’s hair looks like the Baby Mama for John Edwards!

Khun Joe on July 11, 2011 at 9:24 PM

petefrt on July 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I hear ya.
Some days it’s especially tough being respectable.

JellyToast on July 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM

JellyToast on July 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Yer right. It does this forum no good for commenters (like me) to spout off about looks of some people, instead of their issues.

Right again. Some days, nowadays, it’s tough.

Thanks, JT.

petefrt on July 11, 2011 at 9:43 PM

looks, weight none of that matters…… this horrible fat cow of a woman, however, said 3 years ago and I quote: “I have never been proud in my adult life to be an American”…..

Michelle, shut tfu and go somewhere and run around naked in front of aborigines…. they love you you ugly cow of a woman…..

You have no right to dictate to us what to do and you then go and in front of our face have 1500 cal’s of fries. STFU you fat cow…….go order another double trouble cheese burger with extra bread and fries…………. you COW of a woman………….

highninside on July 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Yeah, the last thing you want is stupid, lazy parents of fat kids being educated about nutrition.

Especially by Michelle Obama – here at classy Hotair known as “mooo”, “pig”, “beast”, “ugly”, “mud flaps”, “wide load”, “James Brown in drag”, and, of course “Ugly cow of a woman”.

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM

highninside on July 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM
——–

“new voluntary nutritional guidelines for foods marketed to children”

“The guidelines are designed to encourage foodmakers to reduce salt, added sugars and fats in foods and drinks targeted to children. If their products did not meet the standards, foodmakers following the guidelines would refrain from advertising them to children.”

Can you read, dumbass?

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I’ll feed myself and my family what I see fit regardless of what ANYBODY says!

I’m sick of these self proclaimed lifestyle police.

If you or kids are fat and wish to get thin then: a) quit stuffing your pie hole; b) exercise and: c) repeat steps a and b.

Kinda hard to loose the cow hips there Mooschelle when your sucking down the fries!

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I’ll feed myself and my family what I see fit regardless of what ANYBODY says!

I’m sick of these self proclaimed lifestyle police.

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM
——
Yeah, because education about nutrition is the last thing you want.

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM

When she stops shoving the lobster and the hamburgers and the fries down her throat with both hands and at the same time stops telling the rest of us what to eat and what not to eat then we will cease and desist. What she eats and how much she eats is her business. When she forces others to follow what she preaches and does not follow then we shall continue loud and clear and with gusto! But then again she’s a Libtard and that is their modus operandi.

I’ll take her, and any other celeb-turned-nutrition-exepert just a bit more seriously if they can actually draw the chemical structures of a trans fatty acid, any one, and its straight chain counterpart and explain the differences rather than flap their lips about them.

“James Brown in drag” – I like that one!

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM

“James Brown in drag” – I like that one!

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM
——-
Nobody is telling anybody what to do – it’s about making people aware of smarter eating choices.

The guidelines for the food industry would be VOLUNTARY.

Did you read the article, you clown?

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Yeah, because education about nutrition is the last thing you want.

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Education about nutrition and metabolism is great!
I’m all for it!
I’m especially for it from folks who happen to know a thing or two about it and not self proclaimed know-it-alls.

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Education about nutrition and metabolism is great!
I’m all for it!

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM
———-

Here’s where you tell us how Nancy Reagan was such an expert on drugs. Can’t wait.

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Making people aware of smarter eating choices has been going on since I was a kid in elementary school.

“Curb the marketing of unhealthy foods . . . ”
And who exactly defines what is an unhealthy food?
Well then, what is a healthy food?
And how shall we curb this marketing?
Who gets to limit a a company’s or an individual’s freedom of speech or expression?
Shall we ban advertising even at the point of sale and place pictures of obese folks on every candy bar and carrot stick? This is being done for cigarettes so why not for Snickers bars? Fat kills just as dead as tobacco smoke!
Shall we have bacon rationing?
Shall cauliflower be banned because it contains nicotine?
Shall we regulate the amount of beef and fish one digests per week?

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Is her advice about saying “no!” to some punk who is trying to force you take some crap you don’t wish to in order to get you hooked and meaning it valid? Hell yes! Sounds like good advice! Perhaps if Hollywood had backed her message rather than ridiculed her there would have been and be today much less suffering. My point is that she should have really emphasized the meaning behind your “no!”.
Had more than a few in Hollywood followed her advice they wouldn’t be either dead or homeless.

Bubba Redneck on July 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM

For Michelle Obama your standards are this high:
——
“I’ll take her…just a bit more seriously if they can actually draw the chemical structures of a trans fatty acid, any one, and its straight chain counterpart and explain the differences rather than flap their lips about them.”
——

For Nancy Reagan your standards are this low:
——-
“Is she an expert on the synthesis and spectroscopic characterization of illegal drugs or their metabolism? I seriously doubt it.

Is her advice about saying “no!” to some punk who is trying to force you take some crap you don’t wish to in order to get you hooked and meaning it valid? Hell yes!”
——-

You reject Obama’s advice to stay active and eat better because she isn’t expert enough for you – because apparently those two beyond obvious things have to be proven to you.

But Nancy Reagan didn’t have to know anything about drugs – all she had to do was say Just Say No, because, shucks, that’s good advice.

You’re such a typical partisan gasbag.

Dave Rywall on July 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Don’t get in the path of the tamale table, hamburger, fries, shake and diet-Coke, lobster, steak, “gourmet potatoes” etc., etc. Just say “No” ala Dave Rywall. We’ll all be lean and mean and sharp. Never take a “First Lady” seriously at her words, is that the message?

betsyz on July 12, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Dave Rywall on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM

At least when Nancy told us to “Say no to drugs” she wasn’t addicted to crack! Unlike MOOCHelle who tells us to eat “healthy” while she herself gorges on fatty foods.

Also, Nancy was helping kids say “no” to something that’s illegal but was tempting them to a life of misery and prison. MOOCHelle is always telling us to say “no” to something that’s perfectly legal (so far, anyway).

Terrible analogy.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 12, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Obama’s advice is fine and sound; be nice if she followed it. From the looks of her I’d say not. Getting folks to “eat right” by going after the food industry and limiting choice is socialism at its finest. It would be nice if she stated how proud she is of America’s farmers and our food production industry. Guidelines for the food industry!?!?! Voluntary or not what the f**k is this!?!? If you don’t want to eat something then do not eat it. The ingredients are listed on the packaging as are all the percentages of each component listed with respect to a 2000 Cal/day diet. What more do you wish?!?! Shall the government ban Captain Crunch and allow Frosted Flakes based on the advice on an unelected First Lady?!?

Nancy Reagan’s Just Say No program is good advice and common sense.
After all, it is good sense to snort or inject or smoke mind altering, habit forming chemicals whose purity you have no clue about given to you by some bozo on a street corner. What shall someone say to an offer of illegal drugs? Sure by all means! Pass the syringe. Funny I do not remember hearing about Nancy Reagan’s illicit drug use. Perhaps we should have guidelines for the cocaine industry? Voluntary of course.

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 3:08 AM

All this typing has made me hungry.

I’m thinking a cheeseburger, onion rings, baked beans, salad with blue cheese dressing and root beer followed by a carmel sundae.

Had a nice bowl of lobster bisque with medium rare yellowfin ahi on the side for lunch today!

I’m thinking a waffle, hash browns, bacon (extra crispy), english muffin and a big tall glass of fresh squeezed OJ to go with my coffee tomorrow morning.

Course, I’ve never ever done any illegal drugs! Never have! Hell I never even smoked a cigarette . . . of any kind! However I’ve never met a vodka and cranberry I didn’t like.

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Check

Sonosam on July 12, 2011 at 6:40 AM

I see in honor of our first Gnu that sasqu (atch) is unavailable for use

Sonosam on July 12, 2011 at 6:41 AM

All this typing has made me hungry.
Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 3:27 AM

That’s the beauty of what you can eat when you work hard

that’s why the first Gnu needs to keep to low calorie input because despite claims, Mexican donkey shows don’t burn that much

the donkey on the other hand

Sonosam on July 12, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Terrible analogy.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 12, 2011 at 2:51 AM
———
First lady + drug abuse pet project + republican = doesn’t need to have a degree in that field, can merely repeat tagline over and over

First lady + obesity pet project + democrat = has no right to give the population any advice whatsoever, is sticking her nose n people’s business, must live perfectly, must walk the talk perfectly, must have a degree in that field, must have a small ass

That you think the two situations can’t be compared proves you’re jsut another partisan gasbag too.

Dave Rywall on July 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM

But sex and violence on TV, in video games, and in music has no effect on the little darlings whatsoever.

Nope, none at all.

CDeb on July 12, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Dave Rywall on July 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Just Say No to a cheeseburger: Brilliant! Let’s do it!
Trash the folks making the burger: Even better!

Just Say No to crack cocaine: What a stupid idea! It’ll never work!

The comparisons are in the actions of the two First Ladies with respect to their pet projects moron! Curbing childhood obesity is a great project. I’d take Moochelle more seriously if she: a) wasn’t talking about it while devouring a cheeseburger; b) had a salad now and then; c) exercised; and d) talked to folks about personal responsibility and not blamed the the food industry. After all they are shoving it your mouth right! When she starts with a-d I’ll listen. Otherwise she is just one more limousine liberal to be ignored; and an ugly one at that!

I take it you disapproved of the Just Say No campaign. Well then I’ll assume that you wish folks to Just Say Yes to illicit drugs!

Off to breakfast!

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Michelle’s hair looks like the Baby Mama for John Edwards!

Khun Joe on July 11, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I just clicked your “like” button.
Is this the same lip smacking Anita Dunn whose favorite political philosopher is Mao, who Glenn Beck ran out of town on a rail? And I should care what she sez, because?

abcurtis on July 12, 2011 at 11:40 AM

One more thing. I have always been the fat kid. Still am. I ran and played with the other kids, but still fat. Mom would get tired of me sitting around the house she’d get the fly swatter and chase me outside. Parents need more fly swatters.

abcurtis on July 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Sonosam on July 12, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Try a little bleu cheese on your burger.

abcurtis on July 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM

yeah, 6 billion and counting….

Sonosam on July 12, 2011 at 11:46 AM

highninside on July 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Someone should point out to her that all that beef is grown right here in the good ‘ol USA as are those “taters”! And that grease they are frying in isn’t some cheap import, it is made in the USA as are the condiments and the beverage! How can she not be proud of that!

The looks and the weight really are just a bonus . . .

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Try a little bleu cheese on your burger.

abcurtis on July 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Yum Yum Yum!!!!
How about a slice or two of bacon?

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM

My kids under weight, who can i blame? Oh yeah its the entertainment field that promotes a unrealistic body image.

Greed on July 12, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Bubba Redneck…to your comment at 11:29 last night, about…”Shall we (ban), (regulate), (ration)…” etc. They’re well on their way.
I don’t have a link, or even know where specifically this is happening – somewhere in California – a school district is now requiring a note from your (kids’) doctor giving consent for your child to have whole milk at school.

I’m sure many commenters here remember as I do the rationing of “scarce goods” during WWII: eggs, sugar, butter, meat, shoes (leather), gas. Whatever was crucial for the well-being of our military serving in two theatres of war was rationed here at home. Necessary, and justifiable.

I truly see it coming again – rationing of goods, complete with the ration booklets of stamps – as yet another way for Obie to control more aspects of our lives. IF he wins in 2012, we can expect him to implement all manner of Congress-skirting “regulations” to further his goal of weakening the will of the population by making it illegal for us to do anything not in “The Good Citizen Handboook of Nanny-State [communist] Regulations”.

GGMac on July 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM

GGMac on July 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM

…and using the TSA to check all crotches for contraband as we exit the grocery store…

landlines on July 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM