Video: Hume: The Obama DOJ reminds me of nothing so much as the Nixon Justice Department

posted at 7:45 pm on July 10, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Last week, of course, was a big week in the investigation of Operation Fast and Furious, the international gunrunning scandal that Obama administration officials still refuse to clear up. Today, Fox News senior political analyst Brit Hume characterized the ongoing scandal perfectly:

“This Obama Justice Department reminds me of nothing so much as the Nixon Justice Department,” Hume said on Fox News Sunday. “You have the scent of high-level knowledge of serious wrongdoing and you have the smell of cover-up and I think the stench of cover-up on this gun-running operation is very strong indeed.”

Hume’s commentary comes after Kenneth Melson, the acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, last Monday gave secret and exclusive testimony to congressional investigators Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) and Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) to the effect that ATF was not the only agency involved in the scandal, taxpayer money was used to finance the gunrunning and Department of Justice officials explicitly instructed ATF officials not to respond to congressional inquiries.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama: “I AM NOT A DICK CROOK!”

SouthernGent on July 10, 2011 at 7:48 PM

The Nixon DoJ would be a step up from this one…

ajacksonian on July 10, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Gas up the bus, Barry! Looks like it’s time to roll again!

percival on July 10, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I look forward to him leaving, Nixon-style, the last time. In his case though it’ll be the middle finger to the temple vs the double vee-sign.

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Media

“Obama What role did you play in Project Gunrunner ?”

Obama “Present”

William Amos on July 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Obamas press sec said that Obama learned of this initially from the news media. That, my friends, is proof positive that both the prez and AG Holder had discussed this from inception. This scandal will go nuclear

georgealbert on July 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM

The difference is that the Nixon JD’s actions never resulted in dead Americans…

EasyEight on July 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Obama lied people died.

William Amos on July 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I wonder which federal prison would be used to incarcerate an impeached President who was found guilty of felonys? I suggest Marion, Ind. The size and scope of the operation, that being the operation of two separate operations one in Arizona and the other in Florida and the need to involve more than one federal agency (ATF, Homeland Security, and FBI) would require White House approval.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on July 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I’ve been waiting for over two years for this DoJ to be taken to the woodshed.

disa on July 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I am sorry but why was it secret? The Republicans should have put the fellow on national tv. That’s what the Dems would have done.

promachus on July 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Fair enough.

Knott Buyinit on July 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Stephen Hayes was right, Obama is obstructing, he’s playing off politics as more important than the full faith and credit of the United States.

Speakup on July 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I’ve been waiting for over two years for this DoJ to be taken to the woodshed.

disa on July 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Don’t hold your breath expecting this to last. FNC will report on it until the rest of the MSM shows that they aren’t going to cover it and then it will go to the wayside. And Congress doesn’t have the stomach to take on the White House.

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM

promachus on July 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Because the GOP is chickenshit and affraid to take on the White House. They are all in an incestuous relationship and fear for the time that the other party is in control.

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 8:07 PM

too many ‘f’s in afraid

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Took the words right out of my fingertips.

Someone needs to grab a copy of that iconic photograph of Nixon waving the peace sign with both hands above his head as he boarded AF1 after his resignation and photoshop Barry’s fugly countenance in place of Tricky Dick.

“Tricky Dick” to “Just A Dick”.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on July 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM

From your fingertips to God’s inbox.

No man who has ever occupied the White House has so richly deserved the full measure of Article II, Section IV as this man does. Not Johnson, Nixon or Clinton even come close.

This man is a domestic enemy of the United States, pure and simple.

turfmann on July 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

…After thoughtfull consideration and re-interpretation, the Obama administration has determined that the congressional investigations and Darrell Issa himself are unconstitutional, per their most recent determination of the constitution and the powers given therein. Furthermore they have instructed themselves and the DOJ to ignore anything coming from said quaters and carryon with their current re-election campaign.

Koa on July 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

promachus on July 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

The DOJ refused to provide Melson with an attorney because they wanted him to stonewall. Also, they were trying to make him the fallguy for the whole stinking mess. When the Congressional Oversight Committee informed him, through intermediaries, that he was perfectly free to hire his own counsel (which fact DOJ conveniently forgot to mention to him) Melson hired his own attorney and arranged to testify on July 4th so it would be crystal clear that he was doing so of his own volition on his own time.

Don’t have a link for this, but I saw several interviews last week with Darrell Issa, and this is what he said.

Naturally Curly on July 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM

The Nixon DoJ would be a step up from this one…

ajacksonian on July 10, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Yes but labeling it this way is a good way to get the attention it deserves. The press has done absolutely everything they can to bury/ignore this so far! I should say the MSM, really. It is a crying shame.

bluemarlin on July 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Oh, I don’t know. Wasn’t Nixon’s administration more competent about these things?

Count to 10 on July 10, 2011 at 8:14 PM

If Obama resigns, then yes. If he doesn’t, may his departure be as unceremonious, and hateful as his supporters gave Bush.

capejasmine on July 10, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Eric Holder is fixing to draw the short straw..:)

Dire Straits on July 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Count to 10 on July 10, 2011 at 8:14 PM

No, but the members of Nixon’s White House loved their country.

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Media

“Obama What role did you play in Project Gunrunner ?”

Obama “Present”

William Amos on July 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM

This might actually be true without the media spin. He lets the little people who can go under the bus do everything when he is on the back 9. The any plan starting and bucks stoping at the oval office is not happening.

I wonder when they will blame Bush and say that this operation has been in the works for 6-8 years and Obama DOJ just did a Bush and Alberto Gonzales plan.

tjexcite on July 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM

bluemarlin on July 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

True, that.

What I would really like to see is Holder and the rest of those involved in the F&F program and it’s outgrowths extradited to Mexico. All about that ‘international law’ and ‘international justice’ the Left always goes on about.

ajacksonian on July 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM

This entire thing, once taken over by this administration, was nothing less than an assault on the constitution and the general public knows and understand it very well (at least gun owners know it, and that a lot of folks).

I think the Republicans understand this will be golden as time goes on, there is no telling how big and how far into the actual White House this will eventually get.

whbates on July 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM

“…I think the stench of cover-up on this gun-running operation is very strong indeed.”

Smells like prison sex…

… doesn’t it Obowma?

Seven Percent Solution on July 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Re Melson’s ‘secret’ testimony, it was only secret from us and CSPAN. I’m pretty sure every democratic on that Congressional committee gave little Bammie a heads-up a day or two before. Second, that modicum of secrecy was probably requested by Melson.

I would have liked to be the fly on the wall when little Bammie found out though.

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I hope Issa gives the Obie crew he!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I suggest they bring him here to Arizona. We know how much Barry likes the warm weather. We could put him in one of Sheriff Arpaio’s tent city jails, where he would feel right at home among the gang-banging illegal aliens whose lawlessness he’s done so much to encourage here.

AZCoyote on July 10, 2011 at 8:24 PM

AZCoyote on July 10, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Is the bologna there made from Wagyu beef? I’m sure Barry would insist.

predator on July 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Gun-running fools—does Iran-Contra ring any bells?

Rovin on July 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Because the dimmies own the media… If it weren’t for Fox and the blogs playing this up, it’d be more “nothing to see here, move along” from the old media.

n0doz on July 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Reminds me more of Al Quaeda, or at the very least the Mafia.

Lon Chaney on July 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM

does Iran-Contra ring any bells?

Rovin on July 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM

any of those guns used on Americans?

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Obama has turned the whole federal government into a criminal enterprise like Chicago on crack.

Lon Chaney on July 10, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Sleazy Eric Holder reminds me of the Stalin Justice Department.

viking01 on July 10, 2011 at 8:32 PM

does Iran-Contra ring any bells?

Rovin on July 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM

any of those guns used on Americans?

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Or on hundreds of Mexicans? If Mexico wants us to extradite Obama and Holder to them, I say we should do it.

Lon Chaney on July 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM

“Obama What role did you play in Project Gunrunner ?”

Obama “Present”

William Amos on July 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM

..well, in this case, present would be enough to get him room and board at the Grey Bar Hotel. Hope he likes to cuddle with his room mate.

The War Planner on July 10, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Gun-running fools—does Iran-Contra ring any bells?

Rovin on July 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM

North, Secord and Hakim were not part of the DoJ… it was an arms for hostages, get money from that to spend for the Contras, utilizing some of the largest and nastiest black arms dealers on the planet, one of whom was connected to Imad Mugniyah who was forming up Hezbollah. Mostly that stoked the Iran/Iraq war and got Hezbollah a toe hold in Argentina that led to the Israeli Embassy bombing and the Jewish Center bombing.

Fast and Furious is going to be much worse as it will involve: DoJ, IRS, DHS, and probably State. If I were Hillary I would have quit the moment this little fiasco got out in public view so as not to be bus-bound. Now she will get to explain just how this wasn’t really part of US policy when it was US agencies carrying it out.

Iran/Contra was a few fools with a ‘bright idea’ causing havoc and Reagan took the blame for it.

Fast & Furious is looking to be official policy and Obama can’t own up to it.

ajacksonian on July 10, 2011 at 8:39 PM

promachus on July 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I believe they’re bringing Melson in this week for public congressional hearings on the 13th. They used the secret testimony to send a follow-up to Holder, asking him if he wanted to amend any of his earlier testimony, in advance of Melson testifying this week. This could be one helluva week!

PatMac on July 10, 2011 at 8:39 PM

So there’s one guy ready to testify, and the ATF and the FBI suppossedly also broke the law and he’s going to be able to expose them and they’ll crack under the pressure? Sure, and un huh.

I hope this guy is given witness protection in Pago Pago…

On the other hand – there’s those long hot summers in the inner-cities to contend with, and then that shadow government..and…

Now, if he’s got a stained blue dress or a tape with 18 minutes missing…

Don L on July 10, 2011 at 8:40 PM

As if any Democrat in the Senate would vote to convict! Obama could be filmed, by all 3 networks, shooting a man and he would get away with it.

MCPO Airdale on July 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Lon Chaney on July 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Mexico, in pure uber-nationalism form, is treating this like an act of war…

… After decades of promoting the illegal invasion of their citizens into the United States to keep the population numbers in check, a source of revenue to be sent back home, and a way to keep the corrupt in power, too bad they don’t have a leg to stand on.

Seven Percent Solution on July 10, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Only respect for the law can bring any of these corrupt usurpers down. If Americans keep making excuses for this administration, they will never be held accountable.

BTW, liberals spread accountability so that if anyone is held accountable, everyone must be held accountable in some way, (including society at large) so that none are left ‘to cast the first stone’. Conservatives believe that individual responsibility includes individual accountability.

When one of the libs has become the Divine Forgiver of sins, both personal and civic, I will listen when they say “He that is without sin….” In the meantime, we must continue to enforce the laws, especially in civic matters.

Anyone who suggests “I am the law” or “I make the law” needs to be brought down.

rwenger43 on July 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Brit Hume is being EXTREMELY generous there about the Obama DoJ.

Lourdes on July 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I can’t imagine Obama “leaving” voluntarily as Nixon did. I imagine once it comes to such an event, he’ll have to be cornered and led out. And Michelle?1?

Lourdes on July 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I feel this is going to start boiling over REAL SOON.

AUH2O on July 10, 2011 at 8:51 PM

MCPO Airdale on July 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM

No there will not be any impeachment trial, the Republicans have learned their lesson on that, but there could certainly be a special prosecutor. I think that would just let Obama and Holder off the hook.

This just needs to play out, if there is no more it will go away, if there is more the Democrats will be screaming to get a special prosecutor assigned to get this off the news wires before election season is in full swing.

whbates on July 10, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Lourdes on July 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM

What? You can’t picture that?

rwenger43 on July 10, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Lourdes on July 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM

{conjures up image of Michelle being dragged out, screaming “what about my vegetables? I need to save my vegetables! Nooo–I’ve never had a garden, please let me keep working my garden!”}

What? You can’t picture that?

rwenger43 on July 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

The Nixon DoJ was rank amateurish compared to this.

Tricky Dick has nothing on DOTHUS. He and his whole admin should go down. Can the Repubs do this, is the question.

IrishEyes on July 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM

What? You can’t picture that?

rwenger43 on July 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

They let them grow gardens in some prisons, don’t they?

In her position, however, it would be much more likely that she’d be the one visiting him (maybe) in the “big house” (not the white one.) Pity. Should be a joint occupancy.

IrishEyes on July 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM

What? You can’t picture that?

rwenger43 on July 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

No, I picture her with a hand on one hip while she shakes her finger and weaves her head back and forth.

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on July 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Sarah will pardon him, just like Ford/Nixon. It’s the right thing to do…even though I would really love to see him in a cell. :-)

IrishEi on July 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Since Obamao is nothing but a puppet, at what point do the puppet masters decide to cut the strings? They have to see things coming unraveled, they are bound to be thinking about their own exposure.

PakviRoti on July 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Of course, if this had been a Repub POTUS, it would have been on the LSM 24/7. Never would have heard of “Casey whoever” in FL.

Now? LSM: “Story? What story?”

IrishEyes on July 10, 2011 at 9:04 PM

IrishEi on July 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM

No, can’t see Sarah doing that. And just because it is not the right thing to do. Not in this case.

IrishEyes on July 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM

A song for Barry and Eric:

predator on July 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM

promachus on July 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

It is secret so it can be used to impeach testimony. In other words, catch someone in a lie.

pat on July 10, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Media
“Obama What role did you play in Project Gunrunner ?”

You don’t actually think those corrupt pigs would actually ask him that, do you?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Holder must be thrown out.

Then Obama.

Tweedlecrook and Tweedlecrookeder.

profitsbeard on July 10, 2011 at 9:24 PM

After this debt ceiling crap and vacation it looks as if Holder will make center stage right after Labor Day. I’m looking forward to his testimony!

tim c on July 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM

This man is a domestic enemy of the United States, pure and simple.

turfmann on July 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Yes, he is domestic enemy No. 1. The lying and the coverups by Johnson and Nixon and Clinton dealt with situations where, unlike this one, nobody was killed. Here, in Obama’s case, the coverup is about wanton murder of American citizens via the providing of weapons, serious weapons, to foreign drug cartels. Covering up murder, to me, is far worse than covering up bribery, political break-ins, or babes.

TXUS on July 10, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I have no idea, but I do know that you guys come up with really cool names for your fake scandals.

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Before she was apparently silenced by her employers, here’s what the C-BS “News” reporter who broke this story posted, on June 29. Remember, the bombshell meeting happened on July 4. She hasn’t been heard from since.

This week, the Senate confirmed three Obama-nominated Justice Department officials in a deal that will give Congressional investigators access to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms documents that have been withheld for months. The bigger part of the deal, however, is that ATF Acting Director Kenneth Melson will provide a “transcribed interview” to Republican and Democratic investigators in mid-July.

Here’s the link of all of the stories that C-BS posted on this topic before they spiked it.

Del Dolemonte on July 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Holder’s going down. Scum sucker.

Jaibones on July 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM

predator on July 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM
That picture at the beginning looked like Barry and Michelle dancing!

txmomof6 on July 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Holder’s going down. Scum sucker.

Jaibones on July 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM

not a chance

darwin-t on July 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Why isn’t this blowing up?

Oh yea, O’s a ‘D’.

Midas on July 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM

From a comment thread over at Ace’s place: he could use a flamethrower on a day care center and the media’s take would be “Obama join pre-schoolers for barbeque.”

radioboyatl on July 10, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Question: Will Republicans assist in the cover up for “the good of the nation” or something? How much do you want to bet there are Republicans thinking they can use this as a bargaining chip for promises on some kind of budget deal or something.

This is serious stuff and still not much seems to be happening. If anyone of us had done this we would have had a SWAT knee on our backs a long time ago, and rightly so!

I can just see someone like McCain assisting in letting it all slide away for the “good of the nation!” Every time some high ranking democrat gets caught in some kind of serious corruption the odds are nothing ever comes of it!
Locking up corrupt officials is what is needed for the good of the nation! Allowing corrupt guilty politicians go free is not what America needs! Ever!

JellyToast on July 10, 2011 at 10:17 PM

The Nixon DoJ would be a step up from this one…

ajacksonian

A very LARGE step up. These criminals are Chicago thugs, nothing more.

Crusader Rabbit on July 10, 2011 at 10:30 PM

IIRC it was a Special Prosecutor that did in Nixon. Issa is just a Republican Congressman.

Incompetent Obama.

Caststeel on July 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I can only hope this brings down the whole administration.

Mirimichi on July 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM

This should bring down the entire administration. Not only were taxpayer funds used, they lost track of the guns until they showed up in crimes/murders.
We gave these bastards 60+ billion to implement this.

ORconservative on July 10, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Nobody knows or cares about this. Except a few bloggers.

Wake me up when some GOP leaders say something about it and I see it on the news.

faraway on July 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Watergate pales in comparison. Nobody died as a result of Watergate. Here we have an administration taking an active role in activities that have directly resulted in the deaths of US citizens.

Watergate was political shenanigans, this is murder.

Big difference. Articles of impeachment for Holder should be drawn up immediately. For Obama pending the result of the Holder trial.

crosspatch on July 11, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Just an genuinely honest (albeit also sarcastic) question, why are we shocked that it was taxpayer money? Do any government agencies get money from anywhere else? I doubt that the ATF passed a collection plate around the office to collect funds for sending weapons to Mexican gun runners.

Glenn Jericho on July 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Obama: Nixon’s third term.

Mojave Mark on July 11, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Barack will be changing his teleprompter in this situation from “I, I, I” to “They, they, they.”

stefano1 on July 11, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Obama … Nixon and Carter’s love child?

WashingtonsWake on July 11, 2011 at 2:24 AM

AZCoyote on July 10, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Excellent suggestion! I’d love to see him wearing pink underwear, striped outfit working on a chain gang and eating green bologna sandwiches, no condiments, no coffee, no cable tv.

GrannySunni on July 11, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Obama: “I AM NOT A DICK CROOK!”

SouthernGent on July 10, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I’m laughing through my tears that such an incompetent jackass got elected as POTUS.

Renwaa on July 11, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Nobody knows or cares about this. Except a few bloggers.

faraway on July 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM

As much I detest Charles Johnson’s little green footballs, he was ‘just a blogger’ back in 2004. How did it turn out for Dan Rather? Rather poorly.

leftnomore on July 11, 2011 at 3:32 AM

IrishEi on July 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM

IrishEyes on July 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Do Alaskans practice “catch and release?”

Don L on July 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM

You have more faith in our corrupted government agencies than I.

Don L on July 11, 2011 at 6:56 AM

The scandal is that there has been no scandal, per the MSM.

curved space on July 11, 2011 at 6:56 AM

The statute of limitations has not expired on “blame Bush” yet, has it? Surely this administration has a way to prove that Bush did this.

Book-em, Dano.

Freelancer on July 11, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Little Dick.

RDE2010 on July 11, 2011 at 8:00 AM

The scandal is that our “investigative” reporters don’t investigate like they used to. They’re lazy and would rather spend their time on sensational stories.

scalleywag on July 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM

scalleywag on July 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM

This is a sensational story. However, the trail it leads down can only implicate this administration and their compliant servants in the MSM for repeating the US to Mexico Gunrunning lies.

jpmn on July 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM

The Nixon DoJ was rank amateurish compared to this.

IrishEyes on July 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM

The Nixon DOJ was not a subsidiary of the New Black Panther Party.

Extrafishy on July 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Glenn Jericho on July 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Well, a ‘smart’ group would have done some activity to generate monies, then use those monies to buy guns.

Or bartered with the gun shops or gun manufacturers to get guns. Hey when I can shut down a multi-million dollar gun shop operation with a simple visit, I think I could get a few hundred guns for ‘free’ ya know?

So sometimes agencies might have money they didn’t get from taxpayers.

That they didn’t funnel monies around indicates to me just how sloppy these Chicago people are. Or was it brazen?

orbitalair on July 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM