The Sugar Daddy has hypoglycemia?

posted at 12:00 pm on July 10, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Margaret Thatcher distilled all the problems of central planning into this one quote*: “Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people’s money.”  Last night, Sarah Palin gave us a new version of the argument, saying that the sugar-daddy government — and President — has run out of sugar, and we need to cut off the supply of sucrose:

To paraphrase Hemingway, people go broke slowly and then all at once. We’ve been slowly going broke for years, but now it’s happening all at once as the world’s capital markets are demanding action from us, yet Obama assumes we’ll just go borrow another cup of sugar from some increasingly impatient neighbor. We cannot knock on anyone’s door anymore. And we don’t have any time to wait for Washington to start behaving responsibly. We’ll be Greece before these D.C. politicians’ false promises are over. We must force government to live within its means, just as every business and household does.

We can’t close our $1.5 trillion deficit overnight, but we must get as close as we can as soon as we can. Little nibbles here and there over 10 years (spun to sound like they’re huge budget cuts) aren’t anywhere near enough. I know from experience that cutting government spending isn’t easy. As governor, I made the largest veto cuts in my state’s history, and I didn’t make many friends doing it. But we will never recover, we will never get free of devastating debt, unless we make tough choices now. We don’t hear talk like this from leaders in D.C. or from those running for office because they say what they think we want to hear rather than what must be said.

We are in desperate need of real leadership, but President Obama’s solution to everything is to grow government by borrowing more money, spending more money, printing more money, and taxing our job creators. He once said that he “believes in American Exceptionalism…just as the Greeks believe in Greek Exceptionalism.” Well, the path he has us on will make us just as “exceptional” as Greece – debt crisis, stagnation, permanent high unemployment, and all.

As we approach 2012, there are important lessons we can learn from all of this. First, we should never entrust the White House to a far-left ideologue who has no appreciation or even understanding of the free market and limited government principles that made this country economically strong. Second, the office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments. Leaders are expected to give good speeches, but leadership is so much more than oratory. Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle. It means providing vision and guidance, inspiring people to action, bringing everyone to the table, and with a servant’s heart dedicating oneself to striking agreements that keep faith with our Constitution and with the ordinary citizens who entrusted you with power. It means bucking the status quo, fighting the corrupt powers that be, serving the common good, and leaving the country better than you found it. Most of us don’t see a lot of that real leadership in D.C., and it’s profoundly disappointing.

The mention of Greece should remind people that while we’re begging for more sugar from China and sovereign-wealth funds around the world, we’re also loaning sugar to Greece through the IMF.  We’re bailing out a country that has so far struggled to change course and operate without deficits, while we’re failing to learn the lesson from their collapse.  And this is the same government that ran three trillion-dollar-plus deficits in a row thanks to a massive uptick in spending, and insists that the problem is revenue.

The Obamas have fought a public battle against childhood obesity.  It’s time that they start dealing with federal-government obesity.  Time to cut off the sugar instead of accepting the idea that all we need is a trillion more donuts for government to finally start its diet.

* – It’s often rendered as “The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money,” but that’s a paraphrase; it’s easy to see why the paraphrase is more often remembered.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

Perhaps you could use a ghostwriter for your commeents.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM

You need a editor proofreader/

Knucklehead on July 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

While everyone here is arguing about whether Palin writes her own stuff, you should also be arguing whether black-eyed peas are black-eyed beans.

It amounts to the same impact.

itsspideyman on July 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

What about all the “sugar” created out of thin air by the Fed to buy Treasury debt?

AshleyTKing on July 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

That was artifical sweetener designed to make us think we were getting the real thing and instead it gave us cavities called inflation. Good point though.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Did you see crr6′s comments in the West headline thread?
If that one is a law student, I am the un-anointed Duchess of Guatemala.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I’ve seen her post some pretty stupid crap before but those took it to a much higher level.

VegasRick on July 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

mmm mmm mmm
sugary sweetness
that facebook post smells like cinnamon buns
fresh out of the oven
you fans keep pouring on the icy sweet glaze,
and sprinkle it with some gumdrops and chocolate sprinkles!
the glucose level in here is way too high for my blood

/s

scalleywag on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Madam, I offer you my services for your Duchy.

Perhaps crr6 is merely a poor law student, exceedingly badly educated and without the means to actually achieve the job he/she truly deserves….

…some of those on Mike Rowe’s Dirty Jobs come to mind, actually.

Make way for the Duchess of Guatemala…. Make way!!!

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

You need a editor proofreader/

Knucklehead on July 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

True dat. Mom discouraged learning to type. ” Someone will make you”.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

It amounts to the same impact.

itsspideyman on July 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I actually never thought about that, but … they ARE beans. Why do we call them peas?

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I see absolutely no reason to believe Sarah Palin didn’t write this FB post unless that reason is you think Palin’s such an idiot she has no idea who Ernest Hemingway was and is unable to string together more than 2 or 3 coherent written sentences.
ddrintn on July 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Moonbats think in terms of something called “recursive logic.”

I.e.: Sarah Palin is not wrong because she said any particular statement that was demonstrably stupid. Instead, everything Sarah Palin says is wrong, because of the presumed and therefore inarguable assumption that she is stupid.

Linear thought always includes some degree of mental discipline and risk. From a purely subjective viewpoint, recursive thought is infinitely superior — because it has the benefit of being completely impossible to disprove.

logis on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Everyday I strive to prove that Palin supporters are neither cultists, mind-numbed robots, unintelligent, uninformed or devoid of objectivity.

technopeasant on July 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM

True dat. Mom discouraged learning to type. ” Someone will make you”.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

In my generation, moms discourage learning to cook also. I think it was because they wanted us to not end up as secretaries and house wives. I learned to type much later in life and I still can’t cook worth a damn.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I like Palin’s approach to Obama because she has never given off a vibe of being the least bit intimidated by him.

I know your disappointed she didn’t hit him harder personally in this post but the way I read it, she was as much lamenting the capitulation on our side as she was anything Obama is doing. We expect liberals to be irresponsible buffoons bent on destroying the country as long as it wins them the next election. We don’t expect our side to keep letting them do it. Unfortunately that’s what’s happening.

Kataklysmic on July 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Anybody know if today’s meeting with the Prez and Boehner has happened?

txmomof6 on July 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Madam, I offer you my services for your Duchy.

…some of those on Mike Rowe’s Dirty Jobs come to mind, actually.

Make way for the Duchess of Guatemala…. Make way!!!

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Snort! Offer accepted.
You don’t happen to have a coach and four? And a tiara?
I swear I’ll give them back.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Obligatory plug for PA4Palin and Organize4Palin.

steebo77 on July 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM

My approach to writing posts on Palin:

It is easy to write a simple opinion on Palin but it is also simple or easy for anyone to dismiss my opinion as well.

But when anyone offers an opinion and then can back it up with evidence, data, facts or history, I believe it then lends credibility to one’s opinion.

Yes, I have written many posts on Palin over the last 3 years but I would defy any Palin supporter to match my record of also writing posts of opinion laced with the appropriate background info.

Challenge my personal opinion but I defy anyone to challenge my opinion when I have the facts to prove it.

technopeasant on July 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Anybody know if today’s meeting with the Prez and Boehner has happened?

txmomof6 on July 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM

6PM Eastern.

VegasRick on July 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

A tiara you say! well sorry but Obama asked first, he wants it to match his prom gown.

jainphx on July 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Oh dear Lord. I’d think you were my sister. I think Mom just wanted us out of the kitchen. I was damn near 30 before I learned to use a potato peeler properly.
Finally learned that if you can read, you can cook.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Kataklysmic on July 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I have been a registered Republican since I could vote at 18 and I have never seen this party so cynical and indecisive as they are now. Every time these idiots cave to Obama and whine they they only have the House (1/3) and can’t do anything I want to upend the entire lot of them out of office even if that means liberals get an opening to do even worse. And then I come to my senses.

Do you honestly believe that are paying attention to what Palin says? I think she annoys them but that her fiercest fans are few and middle America is not represented by Palin. They are wrong in that arrogant assumption. Even if you don’t believe palin could ever get elected President, most of us still agree with what she is saying, applaud what she is doing and quietlly wish we lived in a world where a Palin presidency were practical and achievable.

I am at a genuine cross roads in my personal political philosophy. I don’t like the fringe parts of the Tea Party that have latched on though I respect the Tea party and what it’s achieved. I am profoundly disappointed in the Republican party. I think the press makes it impossible for a real leader to get past the gates to actually lead at this point.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM

AshleyTKing on July 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

From Palin’s Facebook note:

Back in January 2009, as governor of Alaska, I announced: “We also have to be mindful about the effect of the stimulus package on the national debt and the future economic health of the country. We won’t achieve long-term stability if we continue borrowing massive sums from foreign countries and remain dependent on foreign sources of oil and gas.” Then I urged President Obama to veto the stimulus bill because it was loaded with absolutely useless pork and unfunded mandates. Everyone knows my early and vocal opposition to that mother of all unfunded mandates known as Obamacare starting back in August 2009, and many recall my objections to the Federal Reserves’ inflationary games with our currency known as QE2 from November 2010. It’s a matter of public record that I did not go to Harvard Law School, but I can add.

For more background on the objections to which Palin refers:

Gov. Palin Vindicated on Inflation Claims

steebo77 on July 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Finally learned that if you can read, you can cook.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I actually just cut the crap out of my thumb on one of those square slicer thingies trying to cut potatos for a frittata. I am trying to learn but — my god — the kitchen has so many sharp objects and I am a klutz.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

SP issues a great piece of Obama-da-Suga-Pimp-with-yer-taxes smackdown.

It s/b a great day for the country and the future of her kids.

Instead a thread full of gaggle-noises…who won?

I already know that HA Capitalism won. Anyone else?

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

jainphx on July 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Wel, I don’t want to go quite that flashy. Maybe Elizabeth II has an understated one I can borrow. The coiach and 4 is important though.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Are we still talking about alleged ghost writers?

MeatHeadinCA on July 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Per newsweek the undefeated has inked a deal with Walmart to distrubute the the movie after its theater run.

unseen on July 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM

To be sure, I meant the future of the country’s kids, incl. SP’s, but not exclusively them.

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Are we still talking about alleged ghost writers?

MeatHeadinCA on July 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I think we moved on but we could go back …

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Snort! Offer accepted.
You don’t happen to have a coach and four? And a tiara?
I swear I’ll give them back.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Alas, mine armor was sold to pay the Evil Sheriff Obambi’s taxes, and the coach has a starter problem which I can’t fix from here in Canada, in my own present reduced circumstances. If you will accept a meager tiara of pipecleaners and children’s beads, I can accommodate. What, it worked on their Mother!

As for the four coachmen, now that I can readily supply. There are rats aplenty in Canada, and in Texas…. I have only to harness them to the task and away we go to the prom, I mean Ball.

Off we go!…..

jainphx on July 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Now that there’s funny….!!!

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Funny how people who operate from the basic premise that Palin is a blithering idiot somehow are well versed in how she parses her posts, how she writes her op-ed pieces, etc well enough to KNOW that she doesn’t write the good ones – only the bad ones. /s

Even if one accepts the idea that she has someone review/edit/etc her FB postings – isn’t that the sign of a good leader – willing and able to have competent people surrounding them? Unlike BO who seems to prefer tax-dodgers, court jesters, and socialists.

katiejane on July 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

We can always blame our typing on our sctar tissue. I have a deep seated fear of my meat slicer. A pressure cooker will never enter my home.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I think we moved on but we could go back …

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM

That’s not gonna get us anywhere.

MeatHeadinCA on July 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Are we still talking about alleged ghost writers?

MeatHeadinCA on July 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I think we moved on but we could go back …

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Re:

katiejane on July 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I take that back MeatHeadinCA. I’m totally done with the “Palin has an editor and assistants” – “No she doesn’t” discussion. Now where were we?

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

How interesting. I have a pressure cooker but no meat slicer. I actually want a meat slicer but my kitchen reached gadget critical mass last Christmas. How sick and twisted is it that we keep adding cooking tools to the kitchen when we can’t cook? It’s the Cooking Channel. I see them and they make it look cool and easy. I get the tools and have no idea how they work. I also have a quisinart that I never use among other things.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM

We can’t close our $1.5 trillion deficit overnight…

Why do so many intelligent accomplished conservatives presume that the deficit can’t be closed immediately, as if it’ axiomatic? Will our society collapse if FY2012 begins with 1.5 trillion less spending? Will the earth slip from orbit if:

- Half the federal workforce goes on unemployment
- Unemployment insurance benefits are cut in half
- Social security benefits are cut in half
- Medicaid benefits are cut in half
- The DOD’s budget is cut in half

Riots? sure. Mass starvation? no. Economic destabilization? sure. Economic depression? no. Do people like Ed not recognize the impossibility of paying off $20 or $25 trillion in debt after even a 10 year $10 trillion deal and the horrific effect it will have on our lives? Then, it really will be mass starvation and depression.

Or are they afraid to be labeled kooks? How can simple mathematics be the foundation for kook ideas? If someone calls us kooks for recommending that we immediately balance the budget, just call them cowards in denial and ask them for a scenario where the budget gets balanced before servicing the dept causes economic contraction. Even Geithner says it’s unsustainable.

elfman on July 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM

And maybe the Palinista’s could stay away from the Bachmann and Perry threads once in a while.

How would that work for you?

Knucklehead on July 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Why? I’m not crying and moaning about being mistreated by those mean mean Bachmanniacs and Perryzites.

ddrintn on July 10, 2011 at 5:28 PM

technopeasant on July 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I wish I had time to list all the facts myself. It would take the whole page to do so. I remember gathering hundreds of articles discussing the WMD intelligence and the actual number of WMDs found in Iraq (you do know that over 550 chemical shells and stores of anthrax and plague were found after the invasion, and at least two chemical shells were used in IEDs on our guys, not wholly successfully, I might add, Thank God), as well as all the definitive WMD reports after the invasion, simply to refute the claim that the intelligence was falsified about WMD in Iraq, and al Qaeda’s ties to the Iraqi regime. I even posted a few of them in threads years ago.

Liberals ignore inconvenient facts. Since they do, I get to the point where I just call them names because it makes me feel better, and they wouldn’t listen to the facts anyway. I’m sorry when it gets to that point. But we only have so many hours in a Life. I hate wasting them on stupid people who won’t accept reality.

So I admire your tenacity in trying to keep fighting the good fight. Me, I’d rather knife them in the back, toss their bodies into the sea, and MoveOn.org on to the next liberal assh*le who gets in my way.

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

katiejane on July 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Wasn’t Sarah Palin raised by Teachers? Doesn’t Sarah Palin, come from a family of Teachers? I remember she brought up their names in her Madison, Wisconsin speech – because they all belong to Teacher Unions.

Dr Evil on July 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

My fantasy, not yours and probably not reality but … it works in my head.

*ducks for cover*

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM

This is the best post I’ve seen on HA in a long time. Beautiful job, Captain Ed.

hillbillyjim on July 10, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Off we go!…..

jainphx on July 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM
Now that there’s funny….!!!

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Fret not. Armor is too hot and rusts like a basset. Just ask the Conquistadors. If I go with the rats I’ll need an immense pumpkin.

Rumor has it that I could get a wagon train and a 20 team mule harness in Saskatchewan. I can get the mules. We could load that puppy with anything but fruit, weed or guns. Do you have a nifty uniform?

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Are we still talking about alleged ghost writers?

MeatHeadinCA on July 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Yes we are..Do you think Palin used a ghostwriter?..*evil smile*

Dire Straits on July 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Real leadership requires deeds even more than words.

It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle.

Fresh air compared to the humid swamps of D.C…

Fallon on July 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Half the federal workforce goes on unemployment

elfman on July 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Keeping in mind that I’ve heard the Mike Church view that federal Employees are a cost to the system and taxes they pay are a refund to the tax payer pool … I get that … what do you really believe the effect of .. upending one million wage earners into unemployment? Piper Aircraft did an experiment once where they marked cash with the Piper logo and paid all their employees in cash one month. those dollars circulated through every business in Vero Beach and beyond. They did it to prove a point on their value to the community. The impact was huge. Do you think, because they are federal Employees, that the tax savings will equalize out the impact to private companies that support those Federal offices? Look at NASA, just as an example. 28,000 people will be estimated out of work because of the closing down of the jobs of about 2,000 Federal workers. Thats a 3 to 1 ratio. It’s not practical to apply that ratio to a potential one million laid off, but what if? Are you sure?

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM

How much hate will it generate if I say I don’t think Palin is all that great in the kitchen either after seeing her cook on that one interview and I liked her even more for it because I could relate? My fantasy, not yours and probably not reality but … it works in my head. *ducks for cover*

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I’m not offended by it. I’m just happy that she is so clearly in Obama’s “kitchen” and appears to be cooking a 12 course feast in there.

Kataklysmic on July 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM

“For the LORD your God will bless you as he has promised, and you will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. You will rule over many nations but none will rule over you.” Deuteronomy” 15:6

JellyToast on July 10, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Kataklysmic on July 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Oh she’s eating away at his brain constantly. He probably has Palin nightmares. He twitches harder than a Meth addict cut off from his dealer everytime she speaks. I used to think it was my imagination but President Petty just can’t let a dig go by with out saying something.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Really Right on July 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM

So what part of Palin’s post do you agree with or disagree with and indicate why? Otherwise you are blowing smoke up your own skirt.

onlineanalyst on July 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM

technopeasant on July 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Why would you strive to disprove something that isn’t based on any facts whatsoever and is simply a cheap attack by opponents? no matter how reasonable you are, no matter how many facts you bring to the conversation your opponets will still attack you and other supporters with the same canard. Might as well try to prove that the TEA party isn’t made up of toothless hillbillies.

It is used to drive a wedge between a group of supporters. The old divide and conquer strategy. It works therefore the opponents will never stop using it no matter how reasonable you are. just by accepting the narrative that you are the reasonable one and others are unreasonable, you are the objective one and others are the zealots you give life to the attack and futher the goals of those making it.

now I have no problem posting facts, refuting the smears and correcting the record and do so often. But as far as what my opponents think of me or call me I could care less.

unseen on July 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Correction 2 to 1 – ish ratio.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM

technopeasant on July 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM
As Dennis Miller would say, “I like the cut of your jib”.

There is no sense in arguing with idiots, dumbasses and the like – altho, I admit I have been guilty of trying to convince some of them to see reason. They are only here
to post drivel about Palin in hopes that their negativity will be looked on as truth.

The ones who bring attention to Palin’s flaws as they relate to either her campaign (or lack of campaign) strategy or her record as mayor, oil & gas commissioner and governor are more than likely really interested in whether she is the real deal that this country needs at this time.

A discussion could then ensue.

The others aren’t worth any of our time.

Amjean on July 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Fresh air compared to the humid swamps of D.C…

Fallon on July 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM

indeed. I just hope DC doesn’t change her once she wins the election.

unseen on July 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM

This thread has been up for almost six hours and Ed still hasn’t figured out that he misunderstood who Palin was referring to when she said Sugar Daddy. It’s almost as if he didn’t bother to read her whole FB post.

NoNails on July 10, 2011 at 5:49 PM

logis on July 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Oh, the Left has TONS of tricks like this in their arsenal. I think the most powerful is projecting/accusing someone of racism (or whatever else) while that very accusation is itself racist. The AGW people have taken to moving the goalpost and luckily for them, if you find you can’t move it, there’s always the other goalpost.

It’s actually somewhat brilliant. How do you win an argument without logic? By being like Reagan. You explain it in such a simple manner that it relates to everyone where it becomes ridiculous to try and contradict what the people now know to be true.

Sarah Palin has done that several times. Death panels comes to mind. And here is “sugar daddy” making it quite clear how the government is treating you. She knows how to drive the message home. At this point, she is more powerful than the media. She controls them. Or at the very least, she’s stolen the power of messaging from them. No other candidate comes close. They will get destroyed.

MrX on July 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Interestingly not a mention yet of the Palin clone Michele Bachmann.

Could it be that MB is simply a lady-in-waiting or the understudy who has risen in stature by pretending, like in the movie Calamity Jane with Doris Day, to being a star personage only to be discovered later to be adequate but certainly not superstar material?

Bachmann is the girl you are proud to take to the prom but your ultimate dream was to bring the queen of the student body.

technopeasant on July 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, haven’t read through all the comments but this from the Newsweek cover story on her:

She would like to revamp, or even eliminate, whole agencies—the Department of Energy, for example—as Reagan once spoke of doing.

Bring. It. On.

miConsevative on July 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM

NoNails on July 10, 2011 at 5:49 PM

did anyone send him a tip about it?

people tend to overlook a great deal once they assume the job is finished.

unseen on July 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM

It seems to me, that Anthony Wiener may have left the building, but there’s still plenty of weenies left in D.C. Obama leads the charge.

capejasmine on July 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM

elfman on July 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Um he was just being quote on Fox News…we have to raise taxes on the wealthy to generate revenue. Obama “Let Me Be Perfectly Clear I Will Redistribute Your Wealth”

Dr Evil on July 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM

did anyone send him a tip about it?

people tend to overlook a great deal once they assume the job is finished.

unseen on July 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM

At 12:14, Count To 10 made the first comment saying that Ed was wrong.

“Last night, Sarah Palin gave us a new version of the argument, saying that the sugar-daddy government — and President — has run out of sugar”

I would like to draw your attention to this line:

“Hard working taxpayers have been big government’s Sugar Daddy for far too long, and now we’re out of sugar.”

She didn’t say “government” was the Sugar Daddy, she said that the taxpayer is the Sugar Daddy.

Count to 10 on July 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM

At 12:20, Ed replied to someone else’s comment. That tells me that he was reading the comments shortly after he posted the thread. He had the opportunity to correct himself, but maybe he thought his opinion on what Palin meant was more valid than Palin’s own clear words.

NoNails on July 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Subsunk on July 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Do you post on B5?

Fighton03 on July 10, 2011 at 6:06 PM

NoNails on July 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM

ok that clarfies things. I wonder why?

unseen on July 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM

The Evolution of how one becomes a “victim of the Palinistas”:

First, make snarky comment with a factual error:

Of course she didn’t write the entire thing alone. Are you high? She’s not a writer. She hired a writer to take her rough talking points and refine them into essay form. Read it and see if you can hear her talking as you do. You can’t for most of it.

None of these politicians writes their own stuff alone. They’d come off as illiterate. If it offends you to think of her ghost writer as her writer then think of her as an editor. No one, not even Hiaasen, puts out an article with out an editor (or ten) proofing it and fixing phrases and deleting unnecessary passages. Standard process.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Wait for a commenter to correct your error and show you your own ignorance. Likely, it will be snarky as well…often using the original post’s own wording:

But she IS a writer! She’s a trained journalist! Are you ignorant?
By the way ghost writer =/= editor. If it did, then every journalist at the NYT, WSJ, and any other magazine you pick up has a ghost writer…actually, that would mean that even the ghost writers have ghost writers…holy crap! Who’s writing all this stuff?!?!
Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Then change what you were saying. In this case our victim goes from “Palin hired a writer” and “a ghost writer wrote it because she is not a journalist” to:

Oh for crying out loud. She was a Sports caster. She didn’t write for a living. I’m not criticizing her. Are you saying she wrote this all by herself with no editor and no professional assisting? Really? All you have to do is compare her emails which she actually wrote to this article. The style and the way it reads is completely different. I’m sure the ideas are her and about 1/3rd of the text was hers but the rest was done by someone else for her.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Notice how all I did was point out to the ol’ Bride that Palin is a writer and show that she/he was confusing a ghost writer with an editor. Bride takes offense and goes full victim mode. Also note that at no point in my post did I assert or even infer that Palin was without any assistance. Please everyone, take a moment and shed a tear for him/her…

Oh, it gets worse…a few more posters explain how she likely wrote it herself with things like:

Why the hell are you fools arguing over if she wrote every word or not?

Read the article, and comment on the points Sarah Palin is making. Sarah Palin is running toward the guns, while you clowns are arguing about nothing!!!

idesign on July 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Which leads inevitably to the following:

You are right of course. I just hate this SARAH PALIN IS A GOD WHO CAN DO ANYTHING nonsense. It smacks of Obama worship which is even more disturbing. Part of Palin’s charm is that she is a human being. Next people will say she was the one who filmed, edited and just generally did everything for The Undefeated. It’s offensive. She’s very good at a lot of things but she is not doing this alone. Look around her. She has staff.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM

The meltdown begins over someone simply stating that Palin is a writer by training. She has a BA in Journalism and was a sportscaster (remember sportscasters don’t write for a living and therefore can not possibly be talented in that area…wait…what?). Notice the verbal attacks and self-righteousness that begins in the post above goes full blown:

Ok. She’s a god. Good luck with that because that’s where ordinary people get turned right the hell off. Go worship at her feet. She’s perfect. I’ve never seen anyone more brilliant and talented and amazing in my entire life. She’s never made a mistake. She doesn’t usually drink, but when she does? It’s Dos Quis.

Sick.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Now note that up to this point nobody has said Palin doesn’t make mistakes or is perfect. They are simply pointing out that she probably did write her own FB post. Somehow, this is the same as inferring that she has no editor and never makes a mistake…and she is being worshipped like a god. At this point victimhood is in full swing. More:

Oh my. Not being Palin I made a typo – Dos Equis. My bad. Oh if only I were Palin with no editor and no need for one …

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

And later:

This is how every Palin conversation goes. There is a certain cross section of her fans that take offense at any comment that is not dutifully worshipfull and defending her perfection consumes the conversation. Even the standard operating procesdure of a public person having an editor\writer assistant is so offensive to them that all discussion ceases until everyone agrees that she is above such human devices.

Frankly, I’m sick of it.

I would love to discuss Palin as a candidte and bat around honest criticism and praise without having to get into these strange, naive fights over her IQ, talents and just general perfection.

Actually? And her accolytes will probably respond with “Don’t let the door hit you in the ass as you leave” when I say this … I’m totally over posting on Palin threads. If she runs I’ll go over her merrits in my head. The hardcore Palin fans are too over the top for me to deal with. They are like a hoard of locusts and completely oblivious to who she actually is and why she is — in fact — a great woman, a role model and a refreshing breath of unpolluted air. She is a real person. It’s not a crime to observe the human aspects of her out loud.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Hmmm…”certain cross section of her ?fans? That take offense…” I think you were the only one taking offense sweety. Goodness what a tantrum. There you have it folks. This is how Palin supporters get painted as “cultists.” All we have to do is simply point out two factual errors and suddenly we think Palin is infallible and worship her. Amazing thing is, Bride is complaining about his/her “love to discuss Palin as a candidate” when the first comments Bride made were about Palin having not written the article. Honestly, it’s pathetic…and tiresome.

There is plenty more, but the point has been made quite well I think.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM

NoNails on July 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Hey Richard, don’t be a dick.

What are you trying to achieve with your inapplicable and irrelevant self-stroking drivel?

hillbillyjim on July 10, 2011 at 6:21 PM

There is plenty more, but the point has been made quite well I think.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Nice summation Pat. I’ve been on the receiving end of this many times. Over and over again, I see the Palinistas being the ones offering viable supported points and ABPers becoming unhinged.

I’m starting to think that it is all they have. If they can’t come up with anything legit against Palin, that is a good thing.

A very good thing.

miConsevative on July 10, 2011 at 6:24 PM

There is plenty more, but the point has been made quite well I think.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I did not say she didn’t write it. So. If I am pathetic and tiresome in your head it’s your imagination. Interesting that in your imagination I could be male or female. You have quite a fantasy going on in there.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

There is plenty more, but the point has been made quite well I think.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Wow! You must have a whole lot of spare time on your hands.

VegasRick on July 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

For the record, I don’t think BrideofRove is a PDSer. He/She just happened to be the victim that set me off and this made an easy example. I’m sure it is a little bit offensive and I realize that the post has moved on, but I felt the point needed to be made.

I’ve been debating doing a similar post of certain Palin supporters on Bachmann threads as well.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

You can read what you wrote above.

Also, note that I didn’t call you pathetic and tiresome. I call “it” pathetic and tiresome. Since your reading comprehension is lacking I will explain: “it” is the situation where people corrected by Palin supporters become victims.

Lastly, this is the internet. No, I do not know what sex you are. You don’t know what sex I am either. Rather than assume, I went neutral.

Wow! You must have a whole lot of spare time on your hands.

VegasRick on July 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Took me no more than ten minutes. I just opened MS Word and began to copy and paste.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Bring. It. On.

miConsevative on July 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Indeed, EPA and Dept of Education too. The Rs are not your friends either.

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I am honored to be included in your summation of today’s events…LOL
I can’t stop laughing at the progression of events as BrideOfRove kept digging. Too bad he didn’t focus on the content of the article.

idesign on July 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I appreciate the term “Sweety”, BTW. Nicely done. It’s good that you swung it around and rekindled the Palin writes all her own stuff distraction because no one was tired of that thread.

Off Topic

Who pissed on your corn flakes this morning?

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Since your reading comprehension is lacking I will explain:

Ok that got a laugh out of me. Lol! Whatever.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM

O/T, but I just saw that Newsweek cover from a drudge link and the cover makes her look like she’s about 60. Is my lasik surgery deceiving me?

TxAnn56 on July 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

BTW, I assume you have the IP addresses and documented political affiliations of all posters here to back up your assertion?

Fighton03 on July 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I don’t need no stinking badges … or that other stuff … whatever it is.

I’m a HotAir poster and making baseless and unfounded assertions is what I do!

If I say there are no stinking liberals in this thread then there are none …. unless there are!

Rod on July 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Ok that got a laugh out of me. Lol! Whatever.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Don’t take it personally…

Everyone here gets smacked down at least once. Peace*

idesign on July 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Off Topic

Who pissed on your corn flakes this morning?

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Looks like I did accidentally let my assumption slip into the post (on the “sweety” comment)…oh well.

Are you sure you want me to respond to this? I’m going to assume so since you are addressing me. Nobody “pissed in my cornflakes.” I’m not angry with you and have no real issue with you personally.

If you haven’t noticed, I’ve not rekindled the ghost writer debate. I’ve rather pointed out how people assume victimhood in Palin threads. I don’t post very often, but I do often read threads. Your case was so obvious (and quick) that I decided to record it. It is now an example that can be used next time a troll (you are not one) plays the same card. If you don’t want to be included in such examples, perhaps you should think before you post. The fact remains that you had a melt-down on the internet.

I am honored to be included in your summation of today’s events…LOL

idesign on July 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM

No offense, but I only chose your comment because it was the first one chronologically and BrideofRove (who like sweety, so must be female or a very effeminate male) responded to that post…therefore I can’t be accused of taking a comment out of context.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM

OK, now could we get back to commenting on the ACTUAL POST? Or does that require too much thought?

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

BrideOfRove owned on July 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM

That was beautiful Pattosensei. Just beautiful.

Socmodfiscon on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

If you’re going to describe Obama as a socialist, do tell- how is Obama’s government more socialist than any government run by Margaret Thatcher?

Obama had an opportunity to play the role of socialist after the near collapse of our country’s financial system. Many experts called for the nationalization of the country’s largest and failed banks so that those bloated institutions could be broken up and sold off as smaller, less dangerous business units. It never happened, largely because the White House realized that the right would throw a fit.

So don’t worry- you won. The banks remain intact, operate without adequate regulation, and remain too big to fail.

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

TxAnn56 on July 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I would love it if people who criticize the way she looks post pictures of themselves.

idesign on July 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Hey Richard, don’t be a dick.

hillbillyjim on July 10, 2011 at 6:21 PM

How is it irrelevant to say Ed got it wrong and that he hasn’t bothered to correct it? Since Palin titled her post “The Sugar Daddy Has Run Out Of Sugar; Now We Need New Leaders”, I think who she defines as the sugar daddy is what’s relevant.

NoNails on July 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM

How would that work for you?

Knucklehead on July 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I see you come into a thread right at the beginning and announce to everyone that the “Palinistas” will be along to destroy the thread and call you names, and than whine for the next 6 pages of how mean they are to you (All while poking them in the eye with snide comments and unfounded rumor).

You like the attention.

I still haven’t figured out why.

portlandon on July 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

It was a well thought out piece and very timely. She did well as always.

Now excuse me while I do some of my own copy and paste jobs in word.

Please pass the sauce.

Knucklehead on July 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

And most voters called to let the banks fail.

Socmodfiscon on July 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Obama is a socialist, Skippy. What part of SPREAD THE WEALTH AROUND don’t you understand?

kingsjester on July 10, 2011 at 6:55 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Perhaps part of the reason the actual post is not as hot a topic this time around is…well…most of us pretty much agree with what Palin said. It’s spot on. I believe I did post to that effect on the first page. I also wondered why Bachmann doesn’t speak out like this more. She should use some of these points as she is currently in the House and should be knee deep in the debt ceiling discussions.

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I forget sometimes that teenagers are posting here, too. My bad. Hillarious. You got me with an entire dictionary kid. I am intellectually slain. Too smart for me. I don’t know why I even bothered when such giants of thought and observation were lurking about. I am so p’owned.

Heh.

I am off to ruin $60 worth of steaks on a grill that will probably burn the crap out of some part of my body.

BrideOfRove on July 10, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Pay attention children.

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 6:57 PM

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Ohhhhh….you mean we need to let Barney Frank and Co. have MORE of a say in how banks are run, since he’s shown such wizardry in the past. Right?

ddrintn on July 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 6:57 PM

LOL!

portlandon on July 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Pay attention children.

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Don’t worry, the decline of the middle class that started in 2002 is only accelerating. The rich are becoming richer while the middle class is losing its grasp on the American dream. No spreading the wealth has occurred.

Steve Jobs, Eric Schmidt, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and all the other great entrepreneur capitalists that support Obama have nothing on you. You’re the real experts on capitalism, kind of like Pee Wee Herman was an expert on child behavior and pawned the world’s child psychologists.

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

It was a well thought out piece and very timely. She did well as always.

Now excuse me while I do some of my own copy and paste jobs in word.

Please pass the sauce.

Knucklehead on July 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Snort! No more sauce for you. Since your recipe addition I have eaten a giant sombrero, a fedora, and a porkpie hat.

katy the mean old lady on July 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

O/T: Just finished reading the Newsweek piece on Palin. Interesting read and very even handed. Something for everyone here, supporters and detractors alike.

Kataklysmic on July 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM

So, Palin is unqualified for POTUS. Posts on Facebook are hardly accomplishments, and she quit the gig in Alaska.

Stick with the TV and book stuff. Enough suckers out there to make more money off of.

Moesart on July 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM

TxAnn56 on July 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, I have to admit it’s not the best picture I’ve ever seen of her.

ddrintn on July 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, and he didn’t nationalize any of the auto manufa…oh. Well at least he didn’t try and nationalize health ca…well, shoot!

By the way, you need to figure out what the right was calling for during “bail out mania” in 2009. We certainly weren’t supporting the stimulus package. I believe most of us were the ones accused of being crazy because we said “Let them fail…that’s why we have bankruptcy laws.”

Pattosensei on July 10, 2011 at 7:03 PM

If the GOP “Leadership” had even one of her Cajones it would be an improvement!

Run Palin Run!!

Run Perry Run!!

Let them all run and let us decide who will be Fearless and can be the next Reagan!!

PappyD61 on July 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM

bayam on July 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM

It would be really awesome if we had a Republican politician with a record of going after the crony capitalism of big corporations and the associated corruption in the GOP…oh wait – Palin did that already?

VidOmnia on July 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM