Sarah Palin in Newsweek: “I can win”

posted at 8:45 pm on July 10, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin hasn’t yet revealed whether she plans to run for the GOP presidential nomination, but she’s confident she could win if she really wanted.

“I believe that I can win a national election,” Palin said recently in a conversation with Newsweek’s Peter J. Boyer. “I’m not so egotistical as to believe that it has to be me, or it can only be me, to turn things around. But I do believe that I can win.”

Perhaps her popularity among Republicans and conservatives warrants that pretty impressive confidence (after all, a countless many continue to clamor for her entrance into the presidential race), but, for whatever the polls are worth, Palin hasn’t yet bested President Barack Obama in a hypothetical presidential match-up (at least that I’ve seen). But, then, of the present GOP candidates, only former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has fared favorably against the incumbent, anyway, so maybe Palin has a point. If anything, the utter lack of cockiness among the current Republican contenders (with, again, the possible exception of Romney, who was cool and confident recently to suggest the firing of an Obama economic adviser) might be just what has caused so many to describe this year’s field as “dullsville.” Maybe the Palin presumption is what this race needs. Maybe, with Palin competing for the nomination, the other Republicans would kick it into even higher gear.

Fortunately for Palin (as she herself recognizes) and probably for the GOP, it’s still very early and the field is far from set.

“Thank goodness the field is not yet set,” Palin said in the interview with Newsweek. “I think that there does need to be more vigorous debate. There needs to be a larger field. And there’s still time. There’s still months ahead, where more folks can jump in and start articulating their positions.”

But, if she’s going to get in, I wish she’d get in now, so folks would stop evaluating her non-campaign-campaign tactics and start talking again about her policy positions (which, at least as she laid them out in the Newsweek article, are as solid as ever).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8 9

I’ll put this bluntly: if you’re going to respond to posts of mine, without paying any attention to the quoted posts within that I am responding to, I don’t really care about your opinion, as it ignores context.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Bluntly: the context was irrelevant to my point.

I apologize for bruising your ego, albeit accidentally.

Pattosensei on July 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:01 AMWhat these amateur political pundits fail to comprehend (even though they’ve been told over and over again) is that it is in Gov. Palin’s best interests not to declare if she’s running or not, until after July 27th, even if she wants to.

Y’see, that’s the final day for ethics complaints to be brought against her for any of her actions as Governor of Alaska. Democratic operatives, and any of the other assorted fruitcakes, cannot file frivolous lawsuits against her in Alaska for the time she spent in office as Governor after July 27th, 2011. After that, well…

kingsjester on July 10, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Did you really miss this post, or are you purposely ignoring it?

dominigan on July 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM

What’s so difficult for you to understand?

kingsjester on July 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

At this point I support Mitt Romney. He is the least affected by Palin’s indecision. But one more fracking time, my objection begins with the fact that Palin herself said that she wants a large field, but her actions (and inaction) make a large field less likely. If she isn’t going to run she should say so and give other candidates she claims she wants to be in the field a chance. Why is this so difficult for y’all to understand?

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You support somone who can’t make decisions, yet you demand Palin’s.

katy the mean old lady on July 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Oh please yourself! You lament her delay, and make really good theater wringing your hands.
dominigan on July 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Pffft. I’m not wringing my hands! I am cooly assessing the reality of the situation.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

What I can’t understand is why an avowed Mitt supporter gives a sh!t one way or another about what Palin is going to do. If Mitt is a strong enough candidate to warrant his media “front-runner” annointment, Sarah Palin doesn’t owe him or any other prospective candidates sh!t.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Palin is using the process to evaluate her VP pick.

Jocundus on July 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Since she hasn’t even entered the race-she has no need to be VP ‘evaluating’. If if she enters-there’s no guarantee that she’s come up on top.
I hope she isn’t the nominee but if she is I’ll vote for her.
I know plenty of conservatives though-like my mother-that won’t.
Conservatives in the ‘real world’ aren’t as into ‘Sarah’ as the …most ardent supporters @HA.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Bash Palin/Adore Palin – flamewar/snipe – over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and ……………………….some of you folks make me LOL!

VegasRick on July 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Conservatives in the ‘real world’ my circle of friends and family aren’t as into ‘Sarah’ as the …most ardent supporters @HA.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM

There is not a dime’s worth of differece between Bachmann and Palin ideologically, true that. But that is why I am basing my support of Palin on factors which I must admit would otherwise seem rather inconsequential. Ed Rollins will cost Bachmann votes in the primary (including mine), but if Palin doesn’t run it may not matter.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I see a large difference between Bachmann and Palin on ideology. Palin is much more liberaterian and Bachmann is much more of a social conservative. their views of the role of government while somewhat lining up are different.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM

You support somone who can’t make decisions, yet you demand Palin’s.
katy the mean old lady on July 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

What kind of asinine remark is that? You can criticize Romney all you want but “indecision” is not a weakness of his. Do you know anything about his resume’ outside of his 4 years as governor?

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

No need to be insulting.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I am cooly assessing the reality of the situation.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

…as a Mitt Romney supporter. Your supposed “impartiality” is laughable.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM

No need to be insulting.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

How is that insulting? Hot Air isn’t the real world. It’s a conservative blog.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

That you don’t understand me says a lot more about you than it says about me.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I didn’t say I didn’t understand you. I would not even begin to think i could understand someone or know someone from their comments. Hell most people can’t even guess the sex of the commentor let only understand who they are from comments made

I said I didn’t understand the need of yours.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

But there’s a ton of difference in what they’ve each accomplished as well as their level of executive experience.

NoNails on July 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I didn’t say I didn’t understand you.

I said I didn’t understand the need of yours.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

What part of “I don’t wish to beclown myself or to be beclowned by anyone else” is so hard to understand?

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I apologize for bruising your ego, albeit accidentally.

Pattosensei on July 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM

no need for that madison’s masked slipped once again. you saw it called him on it and now he is attacking you to deflect from that fact. SOP for him.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

NoNails on July 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Hence why I’m picking one over the other, Nails.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Good grief I’ve never seen such whining.

Your boy is toast, you’d better get used to it, Palin running or not.

fossten on July 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Ha! So the new rule is that you can only comment on the candidate you support? Darn, how I will miss all the references to “Mittens” and “Mittbots” and any and all arbitrary and irrelevant mentions of Romney. As I have repeatedly stated, my point about Palin has nothing to do with Romney, yet commenter after commenter found it necessary to bring him up.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Yes, I do. However, he wants to be POTUS. I’d prefer someone who can lead, not someone who has to consult 12 polls,11 aides,10 lords a’leaping, 9 of his closest friends,and 8DC pundits before he can pick a tie to wear.

katy the mean old lady on July 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Palin: “I can win”

Obama: “Eat your peas”

faraway on July 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM

How is that insulting? Hot Air isn’t the real world. It’s a conservative blog.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Figure it out yourself.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM

You can do whatever you want. You don’t need my permission, or anyone else’s as long as the moderators let you stay here. I just don’t appreciate the implication that you are somehow out for Sarah Palin’s best interests when you will in all probability be voting for Mitt in the primaries.

It’s like media bias, ya know? It doesn’t bother me that te media is liberal. It bothers me that they lie about it. You haven’t lied outright about your support for Mitt, but now that I know about it it casts everything else you’ve said about Sarah Palin in a whole new light.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

there is nothing hard to understand about not wanting to beclown yourself. Nobody wants to look like a fool. And everyone tends to take steps to avoid that.

the part that is hard to understand is the second part of your statement and this need of yours to constantly tell everyone you are not with “them”. If a commentor says something off the wall It has no bearing on me as a commentor and I don’t feel the need to rush to ensure people I’m not with him/her. no matter who they support.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM

There is such a large difference….

MB…

This is an election about the future of our nation – one where voters will have to decide who is best equipped to lead our nation by looking at our records, as well as our vision for the nation. Instead of negativity, I want to focus on my accomplishments.

I have fought the cap-and-trade agenda, rather than implement it, and I will work to end cap-and-trade as President of the United States. I stood up against President Obama’s support of the $700 billion bailout rather than defend it.

I was a leading voice, fighting against Obamacare and the unconstitutional individual mandates; I did not lift my voice in praise of it. My message brought tens of thousands of Americans to Washington D.C. to oppose Obamacare. As President I will not rest until Obamacare is repealed. And I will not vote to raise the debt ceiling.

People can count on me as a fighter; I am proud of my record of fighting with resolve, and without apology, for our free markets, for sane fiscal policies, and in opposition to the advancement of the big government left. As President, the American people can count on me to stand by my record of advancing pro-growth policies to put our nation back on the right track.

Palin….

the office of the presidency is too important for on-the-job training. It requires a strong chief executive who has been entrusted with real authority in the past and has achieved a proven track record of positive measurable accomplishments. Leaders are expected to give good speeches, but leadership is so much more than oratory. Real leadership requires deeds even more than words. It means taking on the problems no one else wants to tackle. It means providing vision and guidance, inspiring people to action, bringing everyone to the table, and with a servant’s heart dedicating oneself to striking agreements that keep faith with our Constitution and with the ordinary citizens who entrusted you with power. It means bucking the status quo, fighting the corrupt powers that be, serving the common good, and leaving the country better than you found it. Most of us don’t see a lot of that real leadership in D.C., and it’s profoundly disappointing.

tencole on July 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM

while mostly true. You mentioned the field of the declared candidates since mitt is part of that field one could say you were bringing him up if only in an indirect way.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM

tencole on July 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Executive experience is another of those factors that may seem insignificant to some, but on which I am also basing my choice. I can only vote for one.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Figure it out yourself.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Ah, okay. Claiming that the whole country doesn’t love Palin, or even that a majority doesn’t love her, and that Hot Air, as a conservative blog, is not representative of most people…is insulting.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

tencole on July 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM

yes large differenc ein style substance and experience but i als see a large difference in ideology.

I don’t think Palin would have ever sent a Thank you note to the Obama admin for bailing out the pork idustry for example simply because it was an idustry within her district. Nor do I think Palin would fund her rally with federal dollars simply becasue of a loophole in the rules. I also don’t think Palin would force her beliefs on me if they were against the consitution.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM

How is that insulting? Hot Air isn’t the real world. It’s a conservative blog.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Exactly.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

No … as usual, you interpret comments wrongly. I took offense to “conservative in the real world”, implying that anyone here supporting Palin must be living in some type of fantasyland.

Also, unless I missed the post, I don’t remember you being appointed the determinator of Hot Air insults. I know you’re already carrying a full load as Hot Air blog monitor and the Royal Hot Air Guard of the 11th Commandment. Perhaps “insult monitor” is just a little more than you can handle … plus it’s really none of your business what I do and don’t perceive as insults.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Hello!..Hope you are doing well..:)

PS..Had to try it again since I ran out last night..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM

on target fire for effect.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I’m about to go wandering around VERY conservative Lubbock w/my 17 y.o. son.
If I were to stop 100 people who happen to have conservative stickers on their car/truck bumpers-not hard to find here- and ask them whether they think SP is the best hope for 2012…my guess is that they would not be as… supportive of her possible quest as many here are.
There is a REAL conservative world outside of HA’s little bubble.
You get it.
I get it.
Others here do not.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Didn’t you just tell someone not to be insulting? Rich.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM

If it isn’t, maybe you shouldn’t be perceiving on a public forum, smart guy.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Hey, Dude!
Going out w/the Spawn.
Be back L8tr.

…and Darwin: No blog is the ‘real’ world. It doesn’t matter who’s views are being pushed on it.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

As I recall, the original quote was not “most people”, but “conservatives in the real world.”

Christian Conservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

There is a REAL conservative world outside of HA’s little bubble.
You get it.
I get it.
Others here do not.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

And that “real conservative world” is not necessarily your family, friends, and associates. You’re a good egg, Twerp. I’d hate to see you pull a Pauline Kael on us.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Christian Conservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Yes. Conservatives in the real world, by and large, do not comment on Hot Air. A tiny fraction of them do. Same with RedState, FreeRepublic, and the rest.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Have fun..Later..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Sarah Palin is the Winston Churchill of our time. The right person for this point in history.

Paul-Cincy on July 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

No Pauline Kaels!
*Yeah-I’m familiar w/her.*
Be back after I spend some of the money I earned. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

So since you know Greater Conservative Real World Lubbock so well, I’m just curious, which candidate do Lubbock voters think *is* the best hope for 2012?

Missy on July 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

No Pauline Kaels!
*Yeah-I’m familiar w/her.*
Be back after I spend some of the money I earned. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Pauline Kael = “I don’t know anyone who voted for him [Nixon]…”

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Missy on July 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I’m sure it’s Rick Perry.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

If it isn’t, maybe you shouldn’t be perceiving on a public forum, smart guy.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

This is your MO. You pick up on something and beat it to death. Give it a rest.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Oh. Good. Gawd.
She is NOT Churchill, Reagan, Thatcher, the most Blessed Mother, Father, Son, or the Holy Spirit.
She’s a good person and and good conservative politician.
Period.
She’s not the only one.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

This is your MO. You pick up on something and beat it to death. Give it a rest.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Boy, you really like telling people what to do on this website. Then you call others “blog monitor”. Awesome.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I’m sure it’s Rick Perry.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Perry. Ron Paul-BARF!-has some support(not much) and Huck is also fairly popular.
There’s also a fair-sized LDS community so they may be supporting Mitt.
I know-I’m leaving. loL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

She’s a good person and and good conservative politician.
Period.
She’s not the only one.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I simply happen to think she’s the best. You may have a different favorite. That’s what primaries are for, right? ;-)

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

There’s also a fair-sized LDS community so they may be supporting Mitt.
I know-I’m leaving. loL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

The sad truth is that it most likely is going to come down to Perry or Romney in the primaries. I don’t like either. Then we’ll have a lovely little election where if Obama loses, it’ll be to another big-government governor who probably just makes things slightly less worse.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Seriously … you stuck your nose in something that had nothing to do with you. I think twerp and I could have figured it out.

What time does the Royal Hot Air Guard change anyway? Getting close?

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I’m sure it’s Rick Perry.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

There’s also a fair-sized LDS community so they may be supporting Mitt.
I know-I’m leaving. loL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

All right, Perry’s a lock to win then, I guess. Even though he hasn’t declared.

Missy on July 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Interesting point..I could see that..But I hope you are wrong about the being slightly better than Obie..I hope that whoever it is they are a LOT better than Obie!..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Seriously … you stuck your nose in something that had nothing to do with you.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

This is a public forum. You don’t have private conversations here, and it’s the height of arrogance to think that you do. People address my comments to others all the time. Get over yourself.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

There is no dream candidate. That person does not exist. Many people think that SP is that person. I disagree.

I am waiting for one Republican to start slapping down the lefting dingbat press every day, face to face. Once that happens, the lemmings, RINOs, etc. will follow suit. But when will this ever happen?

Really Right on July 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM

If it ain’t Palin or Bachmann, we’re not going to get a serious conservative. We’re going to get a status quo politician looking to keep their job by floating in the center.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

…as a Mitt Romney supporter. Your supposed “impartiality” is laughable.
gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM

When did I use the word “impartial”? I said I was not “wringing my hands” (or “lamenting” the situation, as was charged by the hyperbolic commenter). I said that I was responding “cooly” meaning “marked by steady dispassionate calmness and self-control” Do you need a dictionary?

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

OMG. This is insanely stupid. I never said or implied that I was doing anything in Palin’s interests! I was pointing out an inconsistency in her statements. But, hey, using your idiotic logic, anything you say about any candidate other than Palin I will take to be a “lie” or “biased” and not thus unworthy of attention because we all know it’s impossible to make any objective comments about any candidate other than those you personally favor. Indeed, I don’t know why they bother having a blog like Hot Air. Clearly we need separate blogs for each candidate./SARC*

*Extra emphasis on SARC required since you are thick as a brick.

unseen on July 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I specifically named which candidates were affected by her indecision. Romney was not on the list, and I said that he was not affected because he already was well known and not struggling to establish a candidacy.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

So again I ask: Why do you care what Palin does? I think that in commenting on her hesitance at all, you ascribe more power to her than she deserves, and certainly more power to her than you’d be willing to admit.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM

So that’s your excuse … it’s a public forum? Plus, I really like this one, actually kinda funny.

Get over yourself.

I highly recommend you take your own advice.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I see you are doubling down on stupidity. Gee, could it be that I care what Palin does because it can affect the outcome of the Republican race? But hey, no biggie. She’s a nobody and I should pay no attention to her. I don’t even know why they bother having Palin threads at all./SARC

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

But you said as much as it won’t affect your candidate’s chances of success at all. You’re going on down the list of who Palin might hurt/help by her hesitation, and your boy Willard Milton isn’t even on the radar. What that tells me is that when you claim you don’t think she will affect Mitt’s chances, you are full of so much sh!t.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I see your point..I am an eeyore about Romney..Don’t know enough about Perry..I hope he is not a “big government” type..I hope Perry and Palin both get in..That would be a he!! of a GOP primary with all of the other players already running..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

So that’s your excuse … it’s a public forum?

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM

It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact. Whine about people butting in all you like. Just makes you look foolish.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

There is a REAL conservative world outside of HA’s little bubble.
You get it.
I get it.
Others here do not.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

So, stop those 100 and ask. Until then it is speculation.
If you don’t, I may have to come to Lubbock and talk to the DA about your chupacabra shape shifting thingy. Word is getting around ya know. Proud Rino has gone missing too. I am concerned.

katy the mean old lady on July 11, 2011 at 12:50 PM

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Please try to keep up. Your flatulent commentary is really irritating. I said delaying a decision as to whether or not she will run does not affect Romney. I have not commented at all to how she would affect Romney if she chooses to run. I have said that while I like her policies (for the most part) I don’t think she can beat Obama, but that is the extent of it.

P.S. you juvenile use of phrases like “your boy Willard Milton ” does nothing to diminish the perception that you are a jackass.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

[your] juvenile use….

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Well, Tina, you’re on your way to your first thousand-comment blog post. Congrats! Although I’m guessing you won’t see this because this thread has degenerated to way “down in the weeds” again.

Anyway, I think your caption ought to have been “Determined” or “Confident” instead of “Presumption.” But that’s just me.

Tennman on July 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Your new job of insult monitor seems to be taking up a lot of your time on this public forum. I hope you’re well compensated.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

From what I know about Perry, he’s a true dark horse. We know that Texas is a very different place to govern than the US as a whole, and from what I’ve seen of him, I don’t trust him to be the kind of conservative we need. I hope I’m wrong…but I don’t think I am.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Your new job of insult monitor…

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM

No need to be insulting.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

You can stop being a self-parody whenever you like, you know.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Oh. Good. Gawd.
She’s a good person and and good conservative politician.
Period.
She’s not the only one.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Churchill was flawed. Very. After the war, was voted out. Before the war, not voted in. Right guy for WWII. Wrong guy otherwise. Not saying she’s “wonderful”. I’m sorry if anyone ever gets called “wonderful”. I mean, gag me with a spoon. It’s her, now. Doesn’t mean she’s wonderful. Maybe not for any other time.

Paul-Cincy on July 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Is that not his real name? Is he not the candidate you’re backing? Or are you staying with the status quo of style over substance?

And as for the perception that I’m a jackass, aside from the fact that not everyone shares that perception, I really don’t care what other people think about me. That’s not how I go through life making decisions.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM

You can stop being a self-parody whenever you like, you know.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Sorry. I’m the newly appointed “Hot Air Parody Monitor” (don’t be jealous) and that doesn’t qualify.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

So why comment on her hesitation if you don’t believe it will affect Romney? You have such a gift for saying contradictory things with the same words, you should really consider running for office./

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Oh. Good. Gawd.
She’s a good person and and good conservative politician.
Period.
She’s not the only one.
annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Twerp, (if you’re still here) don’t be so knee-jerk.

Fact is, the UK didn’t love Churchill before or after the war, but it was truly he who inspired them to hang on until we agreed to help them win it. I hope the comparison doesn’t prove to be accurate, but it may.

While many conservatives may be capable of beating Obama if the economy stays in the tank, what about dismantling the Obama legacy? Who is even attempting to complete the Wave of 2010?? While Sarah leaves the room silent for other candidates to speak, who is speaking? And if someone is, can they be heard? And if they can be heard, do they have a message worth listening to?

Yet when Sarah speaks, people hear, because she is a natural communicator. (Maybe it’s the still-current Mom-genes.)

If I am [somewhat] ignorant of these other candidates’ messages, so is most of America. As some of you point out, HA is not the real world.

rwenger43 on July 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Nice post..I think that your point is probably shared by a lot of conservatives about Perry..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Nothing more hilarious than seeing how pissed off anti-Bachmann people can get.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM

The Daily Beast is shrieking over the magazine’s pics. Sweet!

ProudPalinFan on July 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Am I allowed to mention Rick Perry? I’m not sure of the official rules here, as determined by the Blog Nannys. I’m going to go out on a limb and hope I don’t get called a “liar” and make a comment about him. I’ll just whisper this very quietly in the hopes that I don’t accused of “wringing my hands” or “lamenting” the situation: I learned today that he was originally a Democrat and supported Al Gore’s 1988 Presidential run. He was even the chairman of the Gore campaign in Texas.

According to many here, one cannot ever change one’s position on issues and say, move to the right on social issues, so it will be interesting to see how commenters react if he decides to run. I predict that if Palin doesn’t run they will overlook this. If she does they use it to attack. I myself am agnostic on Perry – don’t know enough about him, have to see him debate, speak, et cetera. All I know is that he has done a fine job of running Texas. But so did G.W. Bush who many criticize for not being a conservative…

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Maybe not for any other time.

Paul-Cincy on July 11, 2011 at 1:05 P M

Agreed. We either call on SP to eradicate the Obama legacy in 2012 or we tell her to go home forever. By 2016 the legacy will be in concrete. Even if we take back the WH with another non-TEA Party candidate, can the TEA Party alone affect the Congress and the bureaucracy to change?

Not on your life.

rwenger43 on July 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM

So why comment on her hesitation if you don’t believe it will affect Romney?
gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I’ve already told you why! Seriously, you are some new kind of stupid. But keep on digging if that makes you happy. Maybe Obama can lend you a shovel to get out.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Nothing more hilarious than seeing how pissed off anti-Bachmann people can get.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I agree. Those anti-Palin folks are a hoot too.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Ooops – sorry about messing up the blockquote function twice today.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM

The Palin folks here at HA ignore a serious shortcoming of Sarah Palin. It’s not as the Leftist Media wants us to think that she’s ignorant, or a bad candidate. She’s actually a great candidate. The problem is that she simply gets nervous at key moments and freezes up, or commits a gaffe. The Paul Revere statement is a good example. She was essentially repeating herself about the bells and his ride. It was not the content, but the way she said it that was the problem. The statement came across as distracted or nervous. Similarly, when Katie Couric played gotcha in 2008 with her question asking what the Governor read, Palin started stumbling and ended up doing far more damage than the reality of her intellect and viability.

HA Palin folks here totally ignore this key factor. But eloquence and a quick wit are essential to a great candidate and to beating Obama. A past conservative hero, Ronald Reagan had just such a wit. And it was a tremendous success in making Carter look like a fool in 1980.

As much as Palin is a great conservative, she’s susceptible to getting nervous and not quick witted enough or eloquent enough to dig out when the media gotcha traps are laid. We need to field a wordsmith that can run circles around Obama. We can’t afford to lose this election.

JeffB. on July 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM

JeffB. on July 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Yawn….

idesign on July 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM

You make a good point..Reagan was also a Democrat..Folks can change..I think one of Romney’s biggest problems/obstacles is the trust factor..Can he win folks trust?..We will see..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM

You’ve been on here every waking hour since this thread was posted. Sarah must really have you concerned about what she would do to your boy Mittens in a debate.

bw222 on July 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM

JeffB. on July 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM

fwiw, I’m not yawning.

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Yep, we shall see. So far he’s running strong with great responses to President Zero but it’s way to early to make any predictions about his candidacy.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM

There is nothing wrong with the other candidates platforms but their voices get drowned out and fundraising suffers when all the focus is on Palin.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Perry’s ace in the hole is Texas, not the force of his personality. And I would argue that the longer he stays out the better for Romney who can continue to raise money.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM

So why should any of the possible candidates base their decisions on how best to help to current candidates? It makes no sense. None whatsoever.

miConsevative on July 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM

…I didn’t say…what? I never said anything about not mentioning Perry.

MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I agree..:)

PS..I will also add to your point about predictions..It is way early to make predictions about anyone running or not running..But it sure is fun to make predictions/opinions on HA!..:)

PSS..

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM

bw222 on July 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Many commenters have been here since last night. What’s your point? Would you prefer that I just let your team make idiotic comments without me coming back to respond? And may I say that you’re just as much of a jackass as gryphon for using the “your boy Mittens” phraseology. While I may on occasion spend a lot of time here, at least I don’t speak about the candidates in such an asinine way. And do note that many Palin supporters get their panties in a bunch if they are referred to as “Palinistas” (which is a perfectly harmless way of naming her supporters, which is not in the least bit disrespectful or demeaning). It’s quite amusing to behold the selective outrage…

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Uh, no you haven’t…but whatevs.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM

…I didn’t say…what? I never said anything about not mentioning Perry.
MadisonConservative on July 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Sorry, I wasn’t referring to you. I was talking about rules that some commenters have made in their idiotic comments to me on this thread (like if you support candidate A you can’t comment about Candidate B). I had noted that others were issuing similar directives to you, so I was just making a general snark about the “rules”.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Buy Danish on July 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Now you’re tossing around straw men like tennis balls. I asked you why you continued to beclown yourself by commenting on a candidate you had no intention of voting for. You essentially said it was because she is affecting other candidates whom you have no intention of voting for. You’re free to say whatever you want here, just like I’m free to point out that Palin’s presence or absence in the race — yet to be established — almost certainly will have an effect on your favorite candidate. It’s just that simple. And if that makes me some “special kind of stupid,” then so be it.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM

You make a good point..Reagan was also a Democrat..Folks can change..

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I don’t think Reagan really changed, the democrat party did. He was always conservative.

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM

JeffB. on July 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM

What a crock. If you bother to look at the video, you’ll see that she was moving through a crowded room, so yes she was distracted. Besides, this wasn’t even part of a formal interview. Her answer was made more than what it was because the media turned an innocent question and Palin’s answer into a gotcha. If you remember, the initial claim of a gaffe had to do with Palin saying that Revere warned the British. The media immediately said gotcha! Watch the initial news clip where the guy makes fun of her saying the British. Then they tried to interject the claim that no bells were involved, only lanterns. Palin was right on all counts. She didn’t freeze up. She simply gave a disjointed answer as she navigated the room. What she did is no worse than most of the answers Obama gives to the media whenever he’s not on TOTUS.

NoNails on July 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM

darwin on July 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I agree..The Democratic party has definitely changed..For the worse I might add..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM