Perry testing the Iowa waters?

posted at 12:40 pm on July 9, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Is it beginning to look a lot like Perry-mas in Iowa?  According to Politico, Rick Perry has begun calling political organizers in the key caucus state to see how the ground looks, to the surprise of some.  According to Politico, Perry has also made arrangements for a meeting of the moneymen to plan a presidential campaign:

Rick Perry has started calling Iowa Republicans and a former RNC finance chairman is helping to convene a meeting of national donors later this month in Austin to discuss financing a potential 2012 campaign — signs that the Texas governor and his allies are stepping up their exploratory efforts.

If you’re in Iowa and your phone starts ringing, don’t be too surprised to hear a Texas drawl rather than a Midwestern twang on the other end:

Republican activist Joni Scotter told POLITICO she got a surprise phone call this afternoon from Perry, asking about the political landscape as it relates to him.

“It was just a surprise,” said Scotter, of Marion, who’s well-known for her frequent appearances at Iowa Republican events and is a coveted worker bee on presidential campaigns. She said she didn’t know how Perry got her number.

“He sounded great and just asked if he should run,” she said. “And I said, of course.” She said he said he hadn’t made up his mind. …

Dave Carney, Perry’s top strategist, confirmed that the governor had been reaching out to Republican caucus-goers.

This doesn’t surprise me at all.  I’ve been predicting a Perry run since April 2010, ever since I watched him speak to the Southern Republican Leadership Conference (since renamed the Republican Leadership Conference).  Perry issued a string of denials, but clearly the field has an opening for a Southern governor and an executive with as extensive a track record on job creation as Perry has.  Now that his back surgery has been successful and the legislature has wrapped up its business, Perry is free to start working on an exploratory committee and an eventual entry into the race.

Assuming Perry jumps in before the Ames poll, how will he impact the race?  Time is short, but Perry could get to Iowa soon enough to make an impact.  After having just entered the ring, expectations won’t be terribly high for Perry, not like they already are for Tim Pawlenty and Michele Bachmann by now.  A third-place finish would be acceptable, but it’s more likely that Perry and the news of his entry will have the same impact on the race that Bachmann’s formal entry did last month.  He could easily end up dominating the news cycles in Iowa and around the nation, and his skills in retail politics will have a particular impact in caucus-driven Iowa. If Perry skips Ames, however, that will hurt him in Iowa in January — which is why I believe that Perry’s entry will come sooner rather than later.

Townhall plans on providing extensive coverage of the Ames debate on August 10th and the straw poll on August 13th.  Townhall’s Guy Benson, Tina Korbe, and me will all be in Ames that week, trailing the candidates and tracking their progress.  Be sure to stay tuned to coverage at both Townhall and Hot Air.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If he jumps in it is a Romney-Perry battle in short order and the rest of the candidates will fall out quickly.
Bitter day awaiting the Palinistas….

Bradky on July 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Rick-Mas in July!

Jorge Bonilla on July 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Joni Scotter: coveted worker bee

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Bitter day awaiting the Palinistas….

Bradky on July 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Perrt/Rubio 2012. Palin will have a HUGE role in the new admin. I look forward to some folks in DC being perp walked.

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Bitter day awaiting the Palinistas….

Bradky on July 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

the PDSers among hotair just can’t stop talking about that woman can they?

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I hope he does get in. He’ll make it more interesting.

sandee on July 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Good news. Run, Rick. Run.

I’ve been predicting a Perry run since April 2010

Karnac?

petefrt on July 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hmmm… we’ll see. I didn’t think Bachmann would jump in and she did. I’m starting to think Perry might just jump in. Especially if Palin doesn’t.

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Dave Carney, Perry’s top strategist

Joni Scotter: coveted worker bee

Perry has Dave Carney, and ace worker bee Joni Scotter?

He’s a juggernaut!!!!!!!

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I as a Palin supporter hope Perry enters the race. It would open a clear pathway for Palin to win the nomination. So please run Perry. pretty please…

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM

If he’s going to get in, he needs to dive in fast…quit dipping his toe in the water. He’s in serious danger of being ‘Fred’ed. He has a lot of potential, but people start getting tired of constant headlines about him testing the water, all but announcing, his entry being eminent, blah blah blah…then a rinse, lather, repeat.

AUINSC on July 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

SP will strongly endorse Perry and he will be our candidate. Sarah loves this country and I love her for that.

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Palin’s got about 2 or maybe 3 weeks to get in. Otherwise, Perry’s probably gonna announce his candidacy and steal whatever thunder Bachmann hasn’t already.

Doughboy on July 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I hope Perry runs also. I would vote for either Palin or Perry. I would have to see if both got in what I would do. It would be a tough choice to make.
L

letget on July 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Clairvoyant?

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I don’t see that happeneing unless Perry wins a couple primaries from her first.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM

a perry run will destory any chance Bachmann has. Rollins hardest hit.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:00 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

My belief is that if Perry runs and Palin doesn’t, she’ll probably endorse him if he needed a boost.

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:00 PM

As a Texan I’ve come to expect Perry to do exactly what he says he will do. That in itself is an improvement over anybody else in this race. Personally, fiscally and ideologically I think he’s a great choice . . . at least from my point of view.

rplat on July 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Doughboy on July 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I think that Palin could steal some Bachmann thunder. I think that she could have stolen some Perry thunder. I tend to agree that it’s going to be harder for her to steal Bachmann and Perry thunder.

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Doughboy on July 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Why would Palin jump in before Perry steals Bachmann’s thunder. She wants Perry to steal bachmann’s thunder. Perry and bachmann will split the ABP conservative vote take away some support from Mitt. Perry will be a top tier candidate along with Mitt and Palin. It will be a three person race.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Clairvoyant?

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I think it was the plan all along. SP and Perry became “fast friends” a while back and I think Perry would love to give her a “bulldog” position in his admin. Like I said “perp walk” for some in DC.

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Bitter day awaiting the Palinistas….

Bradky on July 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Is your whole political vision wrapped up in crapping on Palinistas? Pretty much what’s wrong with the GOP.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

What to you mean by this? I’m really not following. DOJ? huh?

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

do = to

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Condescension. Let Perry win on his own and run his own administration if he wins. Why does he need Palin to hold his hand?

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Perry will be a great cheerleader for Palin , or kingmaker…

the_nile on July 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

The only thing I can do is look at what Palin has done and there’s nothing to indicate she isn’t running.

No doubt she would be a sharp and effective scalpel in a cabinet position, but if she picks her own cabinet … she’ll have a entire cabinet full of sharp and effective scapels.

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Perry will be a great cheerleader for Palin , or kingmaker…

the_nile on July 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Well, in that case he’d be the great queenmaker.

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I believe Perry might just leave Mitt in his dust. At least, I’m hoping that is the case. Great article in our newspaper today by Steve Chapman(?) titled “Romney Bungling His Message” telling how Mitt says one thing, and then when questioned on it, denies saying it. The wishy-washyness, according to this guy, is very much a pattern. I just don’t believe that Mitt is the top candidate among Republicans – I believe he is the media’s choice because they know Obama can beat him. He certainly doesn’t seem to be the top candidate among the majority here on HA.

silvernana on July 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM

First McCotter now Perry the Republicans are finally drafting the first string. Now if they could get Christie and Palin to jump into the race it would be a wealth of riches.

The Democrats will have Obama and Biden – and no momentum kind of the like the economy they have created.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM

What to you mean by this? I’m really not following. DOJ? huh?

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

DOJ, EPA, NLRB, etc. Fast and Furious, black panthers, Boing…and on and on.

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Did I say that. Umm….No.

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM

The Perry vs. Obama debates are going to be epic.

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Rick Perry, my Governor has a proven track record of a politician who can be bought and knows how to get things done if the campaign donation gets his attention!
Do you think with all the new mandatory customers health insurers have that they are gonna allow the healhtcare boondoggle to be repealed? Rick Perry is just the man to make sure they keep what they have earned!!!

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM

The Perry vs. Obama debates are going to be epic.

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM

reduced to to their essence it could be …

Perry: You suck

Obama: You’re racist

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

DOJ, EPA, NLRB, etc. Fast and Furious, black panthers, Boing…and on and on.

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I’m still not following. Are you saying that Palin would run DOJ? Run the EPA?

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

DOJ, EPA, NLRB, etc. Fast and Furious, black panthers, Boing…and on and on.

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Palin as AG? I don’t think so. LOL

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM

You bet it would! bho would probably have his famous middle finger on the face the entire time!
L

letget on July 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The Perry vs. Obama debates are going to be epic.

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM

reduced to to their essence it could be …

Perry: You suck

Obama: You’re racist

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Yeah, southern white guy against black guy. Hmmmmm…doesn’t sound good.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Got Guardasil!

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I saw what you did there. I think Perry’s close ties to merck will be a major issue if he gets in. It is one of the main sticking points for me.

But the vetting process of a primary should either clear it up or make him an unelectable. We shall see.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM

So it’s not a riddle that Palin is more popular in Texas than Perry?

the_nile on July 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, and it’s not just him, of course. We’ll see a few more of them in this thread. That’s all they do.

Dongemaharu on July 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

So it’s not a riddle that Palin is more popular in Texas than Perry?

Who is the real teabagger and who just like to talk like one?
Dont get me wrong Perry has done a lot of good for Texas business climate, and that has had a good beneifit to citzens. But when push come to shove, it’s the size of the donation that matters. Perry is very well respected in the petroleum, phamrcuetical, and transportation industries. They know they can get what they pay for.

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Sorry Ed, if Perry get’s in the race, Pawlenty disappears into the sunset never to be heard from again.

I know he’s from your state, but he’s just plain dull.

Knucklehead on July 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Palin as AG? I don’t think so. LOL

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Did I say that?, again.
You do like to put words into other peoples mouth’s. FO

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

NA 1790 said that children of citizen military personnel born abroad “shall be considered as” natural born Citizen, since they would not be otherwise, and the first Congress wanted to allow the children of Revolutionary soldiers the opportunity to be POTUS. That door shut with NA 1795.

SCOTUS precedent of Minor v. Happersett (which has NEVER been overruled) defines natural born Citizen: “The Constitution does not in words say who shall be natural-born citizens. Resort must be had elsewhere to ascertain that. At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners.”

Pretty straightforward, unless one has a probablem with the meaning of “is”. Nikki Haley, if born of non citizens, is certainly not natural born. Bobby Jindal, born of Indian non US Citizens in the US is certainly not natural born. Marco Rubio, who’s parents were in the US for 12 years before they naturalized in 1975, 4 years after Marco’s birth, is certainly NOT natural born. Now if they were REAL patriots, they could set the issue on it’s head very simply, w/o even mentioning Obama by name. They could simply say that they cannot serve, since the are not natural born, by virtue of their parent’s non Citizenship at the time they were born. But that’s what they would do if they were REAL patriots, so apparently they are not.

Lon Chaney on July 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Palin is interested in the country more than her personal accomplishments. She will do what it takes to elect the best conservative, period. I think that will be Rick Perry and he can beat the crap out of Obama.

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Who is the real teabagger and who just like to talk like one?

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Oops. Your mask slipped

BuckNutty on July 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Palin as AG? I don’t think so. LOL

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Did I say that?, again.
You do like to put words into other peoples mouth’s. FO

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

You’re the one that said “DOJ”. You do know what that acronym means, right?

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Got Guardasil!

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You do understand it’s a legal vaccine that is offered down here in Texas. That many Texans have taken advantage of, you know that right? Guardasil is going to protect lots of women from uterine cancer you don’t want women protected from a deadly cancer?

Trust me when Rick Perry responds to the vaccine used to fight uterine cancer in women, it will be even smoother. This ain’t his first Rodeo.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

That’s my theory too, but it’s just a hunch. I suspect they planned this mutual support some time ago.

petefrt on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

considering that Palin is the best conservative I agree she will do what it takes to get herself elected…

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM

How about a heavy weight position in energy or head up Homeland Security?

a capella on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

If Palin sits out, you’ll say she has the country’s best interests at heart. If she gets in, you’ll be cursing her for personal ambition. The reverse is true for Perry. Strange.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Perry/Rubio

Perry/Allen West

Perry/Palin

Perry/Bachmann

Perry/T-Paw

IMO, any of these combos should send Obama packing.

Rovin on July 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM

petefrt on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I don’t think so. I think Palin’s running regardless of what Perry does. Which would be fine with me. Let the best one win.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM

How about a heavy weight position in energy or head up Homeland Security?

a capella on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

The first thing the next Republican President should do is get rid of the Department of Homeland Security.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Who is the real teabagger

paulsur on July 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Troll alert!
Perry doesn’t walk on water but comes closer than most politicians. He’s certainly NOT on the take.

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I think that will be Rick Perry and he can beat the crap out of Obama.

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

By the way, I think if the GOP nominee wins in 2012 it’s going to be just by barely scraping by. Nobody’s going to be “beating the crap out of Obama”. Sorry, won’t happen.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM

How about a heavy weight position in energy or head up Homeland Security?

a capella on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

How about POTUS?

katy the mean old lady on July 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yep in the words of John McCain “let’s let a thousand flowers bloom” a wealth of riches a deep bench of qualified candidates to chose from. The Democrats won’t even primary Obama because they don’t think they can find anyone that can run to the Left of him….and Romney is running in the Republican primary ;)

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I’ve been seeing this argument a lot recently. People are setting things up to b!tch if she gets in.

Anyway, Perry seems to have a pretty good record in Texas. Very business friendly. Still don’t know too much about him though.

Dongemaharu on July 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

No I won’t. If she were to get in the race, I wouldn’t question her motive. It’s just that I don’t think she will run.

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Palin
Perry
McCotter

I don’t care how they put the ticket together, I’ll vote for any in potential combinations.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Probably true. We also know it isn’t going to happen,..any more than getting rid of corn ethanol subsidies or transforming the GOP overnight.

a capella on July 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Can you name anything Palin has done that indicates she won’t run?

All I’m saying is anyone looking at her actions objectively can really come to no other conclusion.

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM

People are setting things up to b!tch if she gets in.

Yep. “She said she’d sit out if a conservative got in the race…” I’ve seen that dozens of times since Bachmann got in.

Dongemaharu on July 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I don’t either, although based on what I do know he seems pretty acceptable. I just demand that we apply Palin-style vetting to all candidates. Who could possibly have a problem with that?

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Can you name anything Palin has done that indicates she won’t run?

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Some of her actions do indicate a potential run. But it’s also almost mid-July and she still has yet to announce.

Doughboy on July 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Rhetorical question right?

Cindy Munford on July 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM

You have not yet seen the vorpal blade.

Lon Chaney on July 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Palin should try and co-opt coveted worker bee Joni Scotter from Perry.

How many worker bees are coveted? Go get ‘er Sarah.

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Bitter day awaiting the Palinistas….

Bradky on July 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

That’s funny.

I’ll just look at who is left, and consider what Palin thinks about who is left, and get behind somebody else.

You however, may have more difficulty letting this “Palinista” thing go……

Brian1972 on July 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Yeah, southern white guy against black guy. Hmmmmm…doesn’t sound good.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I don’t see your point. Southerners aren’t allowed to have an opinion on the economy if they are talking to a black guy?

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM

You however, may have more difficulty letting this “Palinista” thing go……

Brian1972 on July 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Yeah, if God forbid Palin were to drop dead today, what would these rage monkeys find to power their lives from now on?

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I’m saying that if Obama’s on the ropes, by the time the media’s through a vote for Perry will be tantamount to a vote for the Klan. Watch.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

How about POTUS?

katy the mean old lady on July 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM

She would make the best POTUS of the bunch. I don’t plan on getting into a typical Palin wrangle on this, but, she can’t win the general and I’m unwilling to see Scooter in for another term. I would like to see her talents put to good use in this cycle, hone her creds, then go for 2016.

a capella on July 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Michelle Bachmann, it’s easy for the LSM to create targets for the poop flingers.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Doughboy on July 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Which kinda boggles my mind. The election is 16 months away. Just because everyone else suddenly got anxious and jumped in doesn’t mean she has to.

That said, she’s no fool and will certainly jump in before a delay might harm her.

Realistically, the release of her movie is July 15th … a few days after that, or maybe even a few days before to spark interest in the film might be appropriate.

Bottom line … certainly looks like she will.

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM

a capella on July 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Do you have a crystal ball? You are aware that Reagan who got in late in the election cycle had high negatives too right?

I am tired of everyone handicapping Palin as if it makes them look like they have some inside information. Palin has a good as shot as anyone else during the General. In fact Better, people know who she is and she has name and face recognition.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Especially since the Southern white guy has a record of job creation and the black guy has a record of job loss?

ladyingray on July 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I hope we don’t find out the answer to that question.

The thing that will be hilarious is if she does jump in the race and winds up a solid first in Iowa watching all the DOOM coming from them as Sarah gets rolling.

I haven’t staked my life on what Palin does or doesn’t do, I simply think she can be exactly the kind of reformer the GOP and the country needs right now to undo what Obama has done.

I’m not seeing that from anybody else.

Maybe Perry, but maybe not. We’ll see soon enough.

I like Bachmann, but I’m not too crazy about Legislator Presidents, never have been.

I like Governors.

Brian1972 on July 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM

The drop dead date for ethics complaints to be brought against her is July 27th. They can’t file frivolous lawsuits against her in Alaska for the time she spent in office as Governor after this date.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM

White people = bad.

Duh.

Don’t you watch Rachel Maddow?

tetriskid on July 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM

a capella on July 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

That doesn’t make any sense.

If she “puts her talents to use” this time around and helps another Republican unseat Obama, you think she should then primary that same incumbent President she helped get elected?

Or are you assuming Obama is a lock for re-election and everyone should just give up on 2012 and start planning for a wide open 2016?

Brian1972 on July 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM

like when bush left the stage they will just transfer it to the next threat to their progressive world view.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Dr Evil on July 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I suppose the conventional wisdom is complaints are already written and will be filed if she declares before then?

On the other hand, won’t it be seen as more democrat dirty tricks if they were filed when she announced instead of beforehand?

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I look forward to the day when Palinistas come on board the Perry campaign to take down Mittins, then zero. Sarah could run, but she really is looking at all her options. Most of all, she wants someone of her values in the White House, than excludes Mittins and the toolbag.

IR-MN on July 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Can you name anything Palin has done that indicates she won’t run?

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM

She hasn’t set up any campaign infrastructure, she has said that if she didn’t see the right candidate that could beat Obama in the primary, then she’d get in if the support for her was there.
I see her as burnishing her image, keeping her “brand” fresh, making money for financial independence and doing political favors to collect on in the future. I love Palin to death. I would certainly consider voting for her, but I think her best bet is down the road and I believe she thinks so, too.

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM

VegasRick on July 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

This. Whether she’s President or not, I’d dearly love to see this.

If she can’t be President, put her in charge of the DOJ. That ought to get some sphincters clenching.

Aitch748 on July 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

kind of puts the whole Bristol TV show in a different light doesn’t it.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Bitter day awaiting the Palinistas….

Bradky on July 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

You try to project Palin supporters as rabid, and fixated, yet the first comment in the PERRY thread you mention Palin.

Who is fixated???

portlandon on July 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM

IR-MN on July 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I look forward to the day when the ABP conservatives understand Palin isn’t the problem but the answer.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

So? They will do the exact same thing to anyone who dares to oppose Obama. Should we let the media pick our candidate for us?

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Palin’s campaign structure is already in place. She has hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people ready and willing to do whatever’s necessary.

No one else has this. Her announcemnet would immediately set things in motion

She also has groups not officially affiliated with her already doing groundwork in most states.

I don’t know … I think there’s much more there than meets the eye.

darwin on July 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Aitch748 on July 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I don’t believe Palin’s qualified. Probably half of conservatives’ sphincters would be clenching if Palin was Attorney General.

MeatHeadinCA on July 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Should we let the media pick our candidate for us?

bitsy on July 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Seems like a large portion of the gOp has already allowed them to do so.

unseen on July 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I like Governors.

Brian1972 on July 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Like Gov. Carter, Gov. Dukakis, Oh, yeah, a successful one!…Gov. Clinton!?

cartooner on July 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM

rplat on July 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

This. So much so, I’ll crack open my checkbook. None of the other candidates have inspired this action.

publiuspen on July 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM