Bachmann on sex-appeal comment: “Sounds like good news to me!”

posted at 9:20 am on July 8, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier this week, Pawlenty adviser Vin Weber remarked that Michele Bachmann would be hard to beat in Iowa in part because of her “sex appeal,” a comment for which Weber apologized almost immediately.  If Bachmann found herself nonplussed by that remark, she didn’t show it on the Scott Hennen show yesterday.  In fact, as Rob Port reports, she says that’s good news:

Well, listen, I’m 55 years old. I’ve given birth to five kids and I’ve raised 23 foster kids, so that sounds like good news to me.

The Plains Daily notes that most of the conversation didn’t involve sex appeal:

In an interview on the Scott Hennen show today, Bachmann, a former federal tax lawyer, said she believes that simply cutting spending is not enough to take care of the country’s financial problems. “We have to have a fundamental restructuring of our system,” she said, explaining that basic changes need to be made in the tax code, the entire system of spending allocations needs to be re-worked, and “some of these very bad measures” such as Obamacare and Dodd-Frank need to be repealed.

“We need to have a conservative turnaround, a ‘conservative revolution,’ so that we can put into place a pro-growth agenda,” said Minnesota Congresswoman and Presidential candidate Michele Bachmann on the Scott Hennen show today. “It isn’t that difficult to do. We’re just lacking the political will. That’s what I’m trying to bring into the arena.”

Weber’s unfortunate comment is hardly an anomaly, although Weber is hardly a greenhorn in politics and should have known better. Women who enter the political ring tend to get judged more on appearances than men do, especially conservative women like Bachmann and Sarah Palin, but to some extent it’s true for all women in politics. One can choose to respond to it with either a sense of victimization or a sense of humor, and the latter is a lot more charming, especially when it’s done with such self-effacing humor as Bachmann handled it yesterday.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Sometimes good leaders take that experience & shape it into something useful.

Badger40 on July 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Okay, very true. So what has she done with her experience that is useful? All I want are some accomplishments. I’m not really hearing of any other than “she’s a nice person” who managed to graduate law school.

alwaysfiredup on July 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Good to know you’re concentrating on the issues … like what does Bachmann’s husband think of gays.

Personally, I’d like to know what gays think of straights.

darwin on July 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I only bring it up because it’s a skeleton in the closet for her and would be disastrous if she ends up being the nominee. It’s one of those issues that just won’t go away, like all skeletons in people’s closets.

It’s funny, do you think if straights were in the minority as gays are today, do you think they’d be keeping straights from marrying? ;-)

I don’t think so…

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Who’s keeping gays from marrying? I am not aware of any laws anywhere in the US that keeps anyone (excluding minors) from marrying.

NotCoach on July 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM

alwaysfiredup on July 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

sounds familar doesn’t it.

unseen on July 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

NotCoach on July 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM

REALLY?! SERIOUSLY?!! LOL! Wow, how naive you are! Why do you think there are all these marriage amendments and public pushes to halt gay marriage as a viable option?

Because Christian fundamentalists are doing their dead level best to stop it. What’s so terrible about all of it is that people like Marcus Bachmann have been brainwashed into believing their straight, like he’s doing in his day to day work of trying to dissuade gays from thinking their gay and trying to get them to galt their “evil” ways. Talk about cognitive dissonance. I really feel for the guy!

Do you think it’s legal for gays to marry in Texas or any southern states? No, it isn’t.

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

What man or woman in this country can not marry? None of those laws or amendments deny anyone the ability to marry.

NotCoach on July 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

“Exxon (the biggest corporation in the world) protested …”

Mcguyver on July 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Uh…not so much, McG. In 2010, by total revenue:

Wal-Mart Stores $421,849 in millions
Exxon Mobil $354,674

2009, by revenue
RoyalDutch Shell $458,361 in millions
Exxon Mobil $442,851

Jaibones on July 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

NotCoach on July 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Can a man marry a man in Texas or any other southern state? Can a woman marry another woman in Texas or any other southern state?

These states define a marriage as between a man and a woman. That excludes men marrying men or women marrying women.

Am I wrong?

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Am I wrong?

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Since the definition of marriage is man-woman, there is no such thing as a man “marrying” a man or woman “marrying” a woman. It needs a different name.

alwaysfiredup on July 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Yup, you definitely have the moral high ground here. wtg.

alwaysfiredup on July 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM

We didn’t start the running joke, your buddy unseen is responsible for opening the door.

notice how Palin specifically wore her hair different, a different type of necklace and a dress when she had the event with Bachmann to show clearly their differences? Palin went out of her way that day to tell all you were paying atten Palin was no Bachmann and Bachmann was no Palin.

unseen on July 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM

That’s some crazy talk, but if you agree, whatever.

Knucklehead on July 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

That’s some crazy talk, but if you agree, whatever.

Knucklehead on July 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

You’re always assuming that if I don’t say anything I agree. You know what they say about people who assume, yes?

alwaysfiredup on July 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM

No, you are not. But that does not exclude gay men or gay women from marrying.

And what is this obsession with Southern states? You are aware that only one state has ever legally recognized gay marriage, correct? I am not counting those states that have supreme courts that impose their viewpoints upon the citizenry of their state.

And what is it with this baseless smear of Bachmann’s husband? Calling him gay (homosexual gay, not stupid gay. Calling things and people stupid gay is alright despite what Wanda Sykes says) because you dislike his views? And since only one state has ever democratically legalized gay marriage does that make the rest of the nation “fundamentalists”?

NotCoach on July 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

You know what they say about people who assume, yes?

alwaysfiredup on July 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

They’re knuckleheads?

darwin on July 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I still can’t believe she’s 55 years old.

In some attic somewhere, there’s gotta be a big painting of Michele taking on the years..

JohnGalt23 on July 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Forget about the “sex” baloney…. how about what is happening in Wisconsin now with School Districts now saving money under the new law? Who stood in front of the union thugs with the Tea Party and Walker supporters? was it Mittens? NO was it Bachmann? NO

it was the true Conservative leader… Sarah Palin

PhilipJames on July 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I agree she does have sex appeal.

Hard to judge her age from TV, and Internet, though.

But if I was 55 I’d date her.

But that isn’t going to get her elected.

What will get her elected is building more confidence in the voters minds than the other candidates can build.

Obama got elected with much less leadership experience than Bachmann has, so true experience isn’t really the issue in our elections anymore. Personality seems to trump that by a bunch, if the Obama experiment shows us anything.

Lawrence on July 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Knucklehead on July 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

You mentioned up thread that you know some liberal ladies who like Rep. Bachmann and say they will vote for her. Do you believe them? It will be interesting to watch them as time passes, I hope you will keep us updated on their evolution on pulling that lever.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

My last thread disappeared. So I would love for someone to explain how this attitude is consistent with being the leader of the free world.

alwaysfiredup on July 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I’ll give her credit–Bachmann knows the advantages of using honey over vinegar.

She lets all the slights roll off her back, and even turns them into opportunities to dish out the charm.

OTOH Palin has to be snappish or snarky about every negative remark, perceived or real. It shows what a petty and vindictive woman she truly is. Always a victim.

Of course this is a major reason why people don’t like her, but she’s too dumb to understand the connection.

And I’m still waiting for a fellow student to come forward and say how smart she was in school. Not picky–a classmate from any one of the two dozen colleges she attended will be fine.

Meredith on July 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Meredith on July 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM

seems the PDSers among us can’t help but bring Palin into every conversation.

unseen on July 8, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I’m more than willing to overlook panty anty $hit when making my decision.

That’s what drives me crazy about all the delusionals on HA that believe they are conservatives. They repeat the msm narrative and expect everyone to believe that they are open and independent minded. In the old days there was real conservative debate here but these days msm talking points usually infuse (and infect) the debate. But these days the delusionals seem to be the majority around here with the moderators being like minded.

peacenprosperity on July 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Meredith on July 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM

You’re a sick chick. I think you’d be happier being a liberal, they’re always full of anger and hate.

You’d make a good one.

darwin on July 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I agree with Ed, Bachmann handling this with humor was well done. I also noticed that Bachmann used the “R” word, you know, the one banned here, LOL! I’m glad the filters don’t work in the main posts ;)

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Let’s hear about that horse poop pledge she signed. Crazy loon.

lexhamfox on July 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Why don’t you ask the 23 kids who raised them Drywall.

Your dumbassery never ceases to amaze me.

BacaDog on July 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM
——-
Yeah sure let’s ask the kid who stayed with Bachmann for 3 months who raised her.

Dave Rywall on July 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM

You really are this stupid, aren’t you?

Three months can be enough time for a child in the social services system to realize that not everyone is a greedy, uncaring manipulator and perhaps it was enough time to see that there are people out there who genuinely care for others and want to help.

Or not.

We don’t know, do we? But you go ahead and make your nasty, cheap comments about someone who at least attempts to make an effort.

You are the person who would use foster kids as examples of why abortion is a good thing.

kim roy on July 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Why was it unfortunate, and why should he have known better? He gave her a compliment, and he made an accurate observation. If anything, it’s those whining about this who should know better. The only thing he did wrong was apologize.

xblade on July 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Groan.

ddrintn on July 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Let’s hear about that horse poop pledge she signed. Crazy loon.

lexhamfox on July 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM

It would be nice if you would abide by the standards which you attempt to impose on those with whom you disagree.

hillbillyjim on July 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

lexhamfox on July 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Is this what you are talking about? http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/271437/abc-news-lies-about-bachmann-maggie-gallagher

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM

daveweigel daveweigel
# of audio clips in which Bachmann says “we are in the last days”: At least one. http://slate.me/qLsPg7
16 minutes ago

Exhibit A: An audio tape of Michele Bachmann praying for You Can Run, But You Cannot Hide Ministry. Do pay attention when Bachmann says “We are in the last days” and “the Harvest is at hand.” The clip is from 2008, from that brief period when it looked like Bachmann might lose re-election.

steebo77 on July 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Not at all. I’m talking about loons like Jenfidel who’ve called me Satan for questioning Palin

MadisonConservative on July 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Be fair. Jenfidel called you Satan for many, many more reasons than questioning Palin.

tom on July 8, 2011 at 7:31 PM

God I hope Bachmann doesn’t get the nod as the Republican Presidential nominee! Does everyone know that her husband is a fundamentalist Christian who thinks that gays can be dissuaded from being gay anymore? The guy really thinks that being gay is a choice… What a maroon.

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Some people believe that gays are born that way, but it’s hardly proven.

Much less is it proven that homosexuality is permanent.

We’re all born with certain characteristics. What you do, and how you live, is always your choice.

Too many people try to make the argument, “I was born this way,” to absolve themselves of any responsibility for their actions.

tom on July 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Michelle is great but imo she is trying too hard to be something she is not…..Presidential!!
Not to mention her over done makeup look since she started floating the idea of running, way too much Michelle, you are more attractive without the clown face!

grouchymonk on July 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Meredith on July 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Maybe it’s because Bachmann’s not quite as good-looking as Palin, so plain Janes don’t have to feel quite as insecure and resentful. That could be it.

ddrintn on July 9, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Just my two cents, but I think there is some validity to mentioning the 23 foster children here. Hear me out. These kids were probably not all little angels that were perfect, happy-go-lucky kids that didn’t need much supervision. It is fair to say that taking on children that may have been damaged emotionally or physically by their wayward parents could have been pretty grueling both physically and emotionally. The toll of dealing with great challenges can easily be seen on a person’s face and other areas of their bodies. My mom still likes to point out all the wrinkles that I gave her. And I was a little angel. lol

rmel80 on July 9, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I don’t think so…

SauerKraut537 on July 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Talk about a straw man! That’s just utter bullshit. It couldn’t happen, won’t happen, can’t happen and any other combination of NEVER you can think of.

FYI, gays are NOT BORN THAT WAY! You are either deluding yourself for your own reasons or you just accept the PC world’s lies for truth.

The few studies that claim genetic links are pathetically weak and full of holes. The twin studies; worthless. Or take the latest lame attempt; the proposal that multiple births of boys creates an environment in the womb making effeminate males more likely. My sister, who’s a doctor of psych from UCSF, tore that study to shreds when it came out. I won’t go into all the errors but suffice to say it wouldn’t pass muster as a doctoral thesis let alone a major institutional study.

It may not be “voluntary” in all cases but homosexuality is behavior. Behavior can be changed. Just because you can’t face it doesn’t mean it isn’t so.

Go ahead, don’t vote for Bachmann. That’s your right. Your aggressive smearing of others who don’t think your way is out of line and obnoxious. If you want to be the Hot Air GLBT Speech Czar I suggest you take your neurosis elsewhere.

rcl on July 9, 2011 at 1:37 AM

“She’s a brilliant, talented and attractive candidate, who will be a formidible opponent to anyone choosing to challenge her.”

I just said the same thing without an offensive word anywhere, and it was easy, Vin.

Mr. Grump on July 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM

tom on July 8, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Be fair; Jenfidel is a deranged skank who should be ensconced in the nearest nuthouse, so it doesn’t really matter why she called him Satan.

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM