Rubio: Let’s stop talking about new taxes and start talking about new taxpayers

posted at 4:20 pm on July 7, 2011 by Tina Korbe

On his radio program today, Rush Limbaugh flagged this stunning, impassioned and oh-so-encouraging speech by Florida GOP freshman Sen. Marco Rubio, which he recently made on the Senate floor:

Let’s stop talking about new taxes and start talking about new taxpayers, which means jobs. This debt is the No. 1 issue on everyone’s minds and rightfully so. It is a major issue, but everywhere else, in the real world, the No. 1 issue on people’s minds is jobs. And I tell you, every other problem facing America — a mortgage crisis, a home foreclosure crisis, this debt problem — all of these issues get easier to deal with if people are gainfully employed across America. And the impact that unemployment is having across this country is devastating. …

Our job here [in Congress] is to do everything we can to make it easier for them to find a job, not harder. And I think that’s what we have to do when it comes to ‘a balanced approach’ and when we talk about revenue. We don’t need new taxes, we need new taxpayers, people who are gainfully employed, making money, paying into the tax system and then we need a government that has the discipline to take that additional revenue and use it to pay down the debt and never grow it again. …

So you look at all these taxes that are being proposed and here’s what I say: I say we should analyze every single one of them through the lens of job creation, issue No. 1 in America. I want to know which one of these taxes they’re proposing will create jobs. I want to know how many jobs will be created by the planes tax. I want to know how many jobs will be created by the oil company tax that I’ve heard so much about. How many jobs are created by going after the millionaires and billionaires that the president talks about? I want to know! How many jobs do they create? …

I traveled the state of Florida for two years campaigning. I have never met a job creator who told me that they were waiting for the next tax increase before they started growing their business. I’ve never met a single job creator who has ever said to me I can’t wait ’til government raises taxes again so I can go out and create a job. I’m curious to know if they say that in New Hampshire because they don’t say that in Florida. So my view on all that is, I want to know how many of these tax increases the president proposes will create because if they’re not creating jobs and they’re not creating new taxpayers, they’re not solving the problem.

Precisely. I so appreciate Rubio taking aim at the president’s “balanced approach” and at the idea that the country can actually raise revenue by raising taxes. Sure, more revenue would be nice — and additional revenues are indeed one way to pay down the debt and deficit — but as several Hot Air commenters have pointed out, tax receipts historically have remained at about 18 percent of GDP regardless of tax rates. Why? Because incentives matter: Folks respond to tax increases and to tax cuts in ways that bring receipts right back to the average range. The only way to really grow revenue, then, is to grow the economy.

But, while I’m at it, I want to talk about another potential category of “new taxpayers.” Forty-nine percent of Americans presently pay no income tax at all. By contrast, the top 1 percent of income earners paid 38 percent of all federal income taxes in 2008 and the top 5 percent paid nearly 60 percent. To use the cliched comparison, if an American family of four — the two children intractable teenagers — faced seemingly insurmountable debt, and the family decided to tackle the problem by “raising revenue,” which would make more sense? For the parents to work two jobs each? Or for the teenagers to pitch in a little bit? Maybe find a part-time job?

Of course, that comparison is insulting — for that non-tax-paying 49 percent of Americans consists of adults, not teenagers, and they surely don’t have the bratty attitude that they owe nothing to the causes our taxpayer dollars go to or, worse, that they themselves are owed everything. Of that percentage, surely some are capable and willing to contribute something. Maybe a few dollars?

Talk about shared sacrifice.

Comments

Fill in the blank________/Rubio 2012.

You can count on it.

joepub on July 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I want to know what Congress is going to do to keep my corporation from sending my job to the Czech Republic or India.

Still waiting….

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Ace just got a boner.

Blake on July 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Racist. Probably homophobic too.

Bishop on July 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Very good retort that everyone needs to start using over and over.

How many jobs does this tax create?

SirGawain on July 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM

That is why he will undoubtably be the VP candidate on the Rep ticket

rjoco1 on July 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I’m loving this man. Is it possible I will see another great president in my lifetime?

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

You’ve got a bunch of highly skilled, well compensated taxpayers who are about to lose their jobs overseas. Guess what, all the jobs relate to providing telecom support to people within the Continental US. Where is the legislation stating that if you’re going to provide phone service within the US, all jobs related to maintaining the US network have to be performed INSIDE the US?

Still waiting, Marco…

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Leadership. Something that this country needs so, so badly right now.

visions on July 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Kid’s don’t work anymore. With the minimum wage so high the employers would rather have 2 40 year old Pakistanis or hispanics rather than 4 part time high schoolers. Our youth sit idle. While that ship has sailed, Rubio seems to be trying to get the admin to try and CREATE rather than kill any more jobs.

faol on July 7, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Tinan and Obama agree! Obama already said everyone needs to have some skin in the game (shared sacrifice). How about we start with eliminating the “earned-income” tax credit, then a modest 1% on the first $10,000, and go up 1% per additional $10,000 until their income meets the other 51% of people who actually pay.

liberty0 on July 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

2nd that

cmsinaz on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

There’s an entire group of Republican politicians set to blow the democrats game of identity politics out of the water in the future. Rubio is one of them … West is another. There are plenty more.

darwin on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Absolutely, my view is that almost everyone who lives here should make at least a nominal contribution, even $50 or $100 per year would be acceptable. Generally when we get something for nothing, we view it as having no value and I fear far too many people don’t value the privilege of living in the greatest country in the world.

BadDogMN on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

2nd that

cmsinaz on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

3rd that! we are talking about Mittens right ??

Pawlenty, the new Lunesta on July 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Like Richard Epstein (and others) pointed out long ago: if we are to have a massive welfare state then every single person in the United States, no exceptions, has to pay some kind of income tax in order to fund it.

visions on July 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

darwin on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

we need them now though…

dang it

cmsinaz on July 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I think he said it all.

docflash on July 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Pawlenty, the new Lunesta on July 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

heh

cmsinaz on July 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Proof that the American Dream is one of the greatest benefits the world has ever known. Thanks to mom and dad Rubio for raising their son right.

txmomof6 on July 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

For that non-tax-paying 49 percent of Americans consists of adults, not teenagers, and they surely don’t have the bratty attitude that they owe nothing to the causes our taxpayer dollars go to or, worse, that they themselves are owed everything.

Sadly enough, I would not be too sure of that.

Obama and his merry band of National Socialists would not have gotten this far with their Marxist class warfare rift if that was not at least partially the case.

Chip on July 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

that they themselves are owed everything

The looters have convinced them of such. By mid 2012 the number of the moochers will be much higher.

Hate the looters with all your might. They live like billionaires, at your and your progeny’s sacrifices.

Schadenfreude on July 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuubio for the win!

publiuspen on July 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I look forward to voting for that man.

Vashta.Nerada on July 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I swoon for Rubio *sigh*

IowaWoman on July 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

2016!

portlandon on July 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

That’s my senator.

(Don’t forget Jim DeMint supported him when Cornyn and the NRSC endorsed Crist in the primary. See this last page of It Was Rubio’s Tuesday.)

INC on July 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I’ve had the video of this up since this morning. If you can get through Ayotte’s painfully awkward, but short, beginning, Marco is En. Fuego.

It’s a thing of beauty to watch.

tree hugging sister on July 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Don’t worry, one of those “moochers” won’t mooch anymore. Former coworker of mine, lost his job overseas, just blew his brains out after not finding a job for 6 months. Yay corporate America.

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM

When Tina joined HA, I didn’t know who she was, but I seem to like her articles more and more.

I think we all need to stop talking about unemployment and start talking about the % of the work force between the ages of 18 and 65. If we are at about 50%, then that is ridiculous. Sure there are some people who are rich and don’t need to work anymore. Then there are the people in college(maybe they can be left out of the numbers). Also, there are stay at home moms(or dads) who don’t have “jobs”, but are only being supported by a spouse who earns enough to support them. The rest (excluding disabled, only real disabilities, though) need to get a job. And once the economy comes back, these moochers can decide which is more important, being lazy or eating…

jeffn21 on July 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM

“And I tell you, every other problem facing America — a mortgage crisis, a home foreclosure crisis, this debt problem — all of these issues were caused by government get easier to deal with if people are gainfully employed across America.”

Fixed it for ‘ya Marco…

Seven Percent Solution on July 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Why is it that the backbenchers (Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Ron Johnson,etc…) appear to get it and express it way more eloquently than our so-called leaders?

Imagine McConnell or Boehner saying these things and carrying it into the negotiations? We would have had the Dems on the defensive by now running to shield their welfare-dependent groups.

TheRightMan on July 7, 2011 at 5:01 PM

darwin on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Agreed, but if we don’t get rid of Obama in 2012 there may not be much of a future for America.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 7, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Still waiting….

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Passing legislation relaxing corporate regulation and taxes would do the trick.

America is no longer a business friendly country, and that is something Congress can fix.

fossten on July 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Your emotional appeals kill your argument’s credibility.

fossten on July 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I don’t think Rubio’s your man, if you’re asking for more regulations.

disa on July 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Stories like this always amaze me. 6 months of unemployment and you feel like you have to blow yours brains out? Dude had other problems.

disa on July 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Sounds like you have a problem. 6 months of trying to find a job, after getting axed by a company that makes ca. 15 BILLION in profits, so that the execs can get a fattter bonus and we can provide crappier service to American consumers by sending the jobs overseas. 6 months without a paycheck, not paying his mortgage, not feeding his family, and finally giving up, because despite the propaganda I once believed, rich people surely do employ other people–just not in OUR COUNTRY. And it’s not because the corporations aren’t profitable. It’s because they want to squeeze just that little bit more out. Sure as shooting…I want to see laws that state that if you provide services in America, the jobs have to be performed IN America.

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM

faol on July 7, 2011 at 4:38 PM

True, but it has little to do with the minimum wage. It is because 2 40 year olds are at least three times as productive as 4 part time high schoolers.

Lots of reasons why this is so, but I blame particularly:

1. Teacher’s unions for schools that long ago stopped teaching anything but “self esteem”.
2. An entitlement mentality due to the neverending expansion of the welfare state.

cool breeze on July 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Adding at least 105 of the untaxed adults at a very low minimal payment- say average $100- would not hurt.

Not finding a job for 6 months? I’m looking to work at MacDonalds or Wal-Mart before then. But I have a strong work ethic.

michaelo on July 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM

disa on July 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I guess he missed the LATimes article on ‘funemployment’.

slickwillie2001 on July 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Unfortunately John Edwardsw was right. There are two Americas: one that pays taxes and one that consumes tax money.

bw222 on July 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Jobs are a means, not an end to themselves. The point of having a job is so that you can buy things.

If you cant afford anything because costs skyrocket, what good does a job do you?

You should try taking some economics, finance, and accounting classes. Try to avoid Keynesians.

apollyonbob on July 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

tree hugging sister on July 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM

While I agree that Rubio was and is on fire, and that his presentation was magnificent, I think you are being a little harsh on Ayotte. I am glad that she is on our side on this issue.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Forty-nine percent of Americans presently pay no income tax at all.

And you can pretty well guess who those 49% vote for. When they bother to vote at all.

GarandFan on July 7, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I think, as a matter of principle, everyone who has income should pay federal income taxes, even if it is only a symbolic $1 for the lowest income earners – just to reinforce the point that we are all in this together. Get rid of “refundable” credits, you can lower your burden to $1, but not less.

Of course my idea means the gutting of the EIC and other “refundable” credits. It would bring the ~50% of earners who currently pay no federal income taxes (and even get extra back) back into the fold. I like Milton Friedman a ton, but the “negative income tax” was a terrible idea, if only for the corrosive moral hazard in it.

JeffWeimer on July 7, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Was he talking about jobs or amnesty. That would get us a boat load of new tax payers el quicko.

Kissmygrits on July 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Right idea, and a somewhat right direction, but I think we need to start taxing the 50% of the population that is not paying any federal income taxes.

astonerii on July 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Dude, companies aren’t in business to provide jobs; they’re in it to make money and/or provide shareholder value. That jobs are created is a happy side effect – the jobs have to create value to the company else they are not necessary. Just because they make a profit doesn’t mean they must use that money to create make-work. What happened to your friend, as tragic as it is, is not the fault of the company that let him go.

In other words, the labor theory of value is a bankrupt theory. You can polish a turd (Mythbusters proved it!), but the labor involved doesn’t add enough value to make that turd worth even the labor it takes.

JeffWeimer on July 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Yep, and so American IT workers can go flip burgers and sell you cell phones. And American execs can make increasingly larger incomes vs their workers. And we can all start living like Indians. Great idea. So much for the American Dream. You want to know why Americans no longer expect their kids to live as well as they did? Because of your response. And because American execs have no loyalty to their countrymen. Our kids won’t live as well as their parents, because all the jobs are in Mumbai now.

God Bless America.

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Wish Marco would run for President.
He has passion for America and would be a great candidate.He’s run circles around Obambi.
RUN MARCO RUN

Delsa on July 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Ed, you forgot to mention that other group of potential taxpayers, the under-the-table jobs. Specifically, those who work for cash only and also receive their government handouts such as food stamps, unemployment, disability, etc. Then, during tax season, they file for that earned income credit. I would almost wager that half the people posting to hotair know of at least one individual/family that is doing this.

PrettyD_Vicious on July 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM

apollyonbob on July 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

*sigh* I took Economics thanks. I also majored in International Relations, and I’m right now actually finishing up a very comprehensive book on the economy of Nazi Germany (“The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy” by Tooze–I highly recommend it). I also was a die hard supply sider, a Friedman loyalist, a free trader, blah blah. Then I realized that for a free market to work, just as a free society, it requires ethical players. Ethics is retaining loyalty to your countrymen over a bunch of barely-skilled laborers overseas (you really think that moving jobs to India increases value to American consumers? Try calling a customer support line some time. Guess what, the people behind the scenes in those countries are just as “on the ball” as the guys taking your calls). There aren’t jobs here not only because of the regulatory and tax climate (I fully agree those need to be reformed) but also because CEO’s can shift jobs overseas, with a much cheaper, and also much less competent work force. Result, service goes to crap, network reliability goes to crap, CEO and his butt-buddies make a killing in bonuses, jump ship, and the company they just raped is left floundering–and American consumers are left with a crap service, long after they took the money and ran. Not that the American consumer will be able to afford much when all the jobs ran to Delhi.

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM

quikstrike98

so now you’re against a free market and a free society because your job is in jeopardy?

Sounds like just the type of union thinking that causes so many problems.

Ampersand on July 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Love what I am hearing from this guy. Can’t wait for another Teanami in 2012!

ReneePA on July 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

That’s my senator.

INC on July 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Can’t wait until Cornyn is primaried.

ReneePA on July 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM

quikstrike98

Sounds like just the type of union thinking that causes so many problems.

Ampersand on July 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of a Union.

I also did not serve 8 years in the Marine Corps in Combat Arms to watch the spoiled graduates of Harvard Business School make a killing by selling out my countrymen to India.

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Ridiculous tie in. Blaming Corporate America for your co-workers unwillingness to bend and take a menial job to pay bills.

portlandon on July 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM

portlandon on July 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I’m making 80 grand right now. How many “menial jobs” do you calculate I’ll need to take to pay my mortgage? Maybe I can get a “menial job” in India being paid a few cents an hour to dig at a construction site because it’s cheaper to hire a few thousand workers than run a single bulldozer? Let’s ALL take menial jobs, and then our standard of living will be that of India’s, and we’ll be competitive! We can all pee in the street and bathe in raw sewage, because the tax base will have dropped so far that we can’t afford basic sanitation services! My town, my county, and my country make a good dime off of my income. Maybe they’ll still have money to feed me in the bread line after all the IT jobs have gone overseas because it’s not American business’ job to give Americans jobs.

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Just to be clear…I am a professional with 11 years of experience in my field. I ensure continuity of services to a *very* large nationwide field of consumers. There’s a *very* good chance that you the reader, are provided your service by me. After 11 years of experience in this field, I can see when your service is interrupted, and have that service repaired, sometimes before you realize that service has gone down–and most people do regard that service as vital to commerce and daily living (it’s not cable TV folks). I give value added to my job due to my ability to fluently communicate both verbally and in the written form with my coworkers. My other coworkers all share these traits. So far, the first recruit we have overseas to take this job “took a class” somewhere, and “speaks decent English”. The only spot of humor my coworkers and I find in this mess is that our company’s rep is going to take an even bigger black eye when the network goes to hell. I reckon by that time I’ll be applying for Assistant Night Manager position at the local Gas’n’Go. Good luck to y’all….

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Lots of reasons why this is so, but I blame particularly:

cool breeze on July 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Tell me about it. When younger people wait on me in a store or restaurant most of them act as if they are doing me a favor. It is mind boggling. The wheat needs to be separated from the chaff. The herd needs to be thinned. I am sick of all of the free passes that lazy entitled people seem to get while hard working folks are getting screwed.

ReneePA on July 7, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Still waiting….

quikstrike98 on July 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Nothing. Your company is free to do business wherever they like. We are a free society, not communist.

ramrants on July 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM

quickstrike-

what exactly do you think the US Congress can do to prevent your job from going overseas?

Tax your company more as a penalty? Your company will just pick up and move to India or Eastern Europe. Congress can’t prevent them from doing that.

What Congress can do to help keep more jobs (and attract more jobs) in the US is to lower the corporate tax rate. It all boils down to money. If the taxes offset the wages paid here, the jobs stay here. If the wages overseas benefit more ($$wise), the jobs go overseas. It doesn’t matter to the company if they are paying money (or saving money) in the form of taxes or wages. Whichever is cheapest, overall (or as companies say “bottom line”), that is what they will do.

ramrants on July 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM

There is no way in the world that my company would ditch the massive market for their services which exists in this country. No way in heck. They make wayyy too much money from the US market. Nor will any other company on this planet turn away from the US market in our industry. Congress can make it more profitable for US companies by lowering taxes, sure. And they’ll make more profits by sending the administration of US IT industries overseas.

By the way–I’m a former Marine who still takes my oath to the Constitution seriously. If I *wanted* to, I could shut down that vital service you use. I don’t. I take pride in still serving my country by ensuring a vital service. The folks overseas? They have no such pride, in fact some I’ve had contact with literally HATE the US. If I were to take malicious acts against this service in the US, I would face Federal prosecution. These foreign employees? They too will be able to shut down our service to you (and yeah, I monitor coast to coast. A vanishingly small number of people), and if they should “happen” to shut down your service at a strategically opportune time…there will be no prosecution, no nothing. Maybe they’d be fired. Not a big deal if they’re in the pay of the FSB or other intelligence agency. Have fun with that. And when your service goes down (oh yes, believe me, you would notice if it went down. Every American citizen would) you just make yourselves happy repeating the mantra that it’s not the job of American companies to employ Americans. Just lay back and enjoy it. You already are.

quikstrike98 on July 8, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Tax the company as a penalty? Not at all. Very simple: “You want to provide services in the United States, all employees who provide services to the United States will be LOCATED in the United States”. Don’t you even think the companies involved would abandon the US market.

quikstrike98 on July 8, 2011 at 2:48 AM

quickstrike-

ramrants on July 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I kept drinking the Koolaid myself until I saw good, qualified men starting to blow their brains out because the jobs are gone. Corporate growth? Good for us I said. Lower taxes, greater economic expansion, yay. It NO LONGER WORKS THAT WAY. If a company can offshore their business, they will, and ARE. Your, OUR jobs are leaving this country. If we want to be “competitive on the global market”, we must adopt the living standards of India and Mexico. There’s a simple solution to it. Any company which wishes to provide IT services to this country–the backbone of this country, the IT services of this country–MUST employ those who provide those services within this country. Competitiveness? If they are all bound by the same rules, that the must locate their employees in this country and provide them an American standard of living to provide their services, then no one company can enjoy a competitive advantage by having all their employees in a country where they make cents on the dollar. We’re being raped. What, you expect the people who ran Goldman-Sachs to look out for your interests? That’s a laugh.

quikstrike98 on July 8, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Quikstrike, how much extra do you reckon Americans will be willing to pay for those vital, can’t-do-without services that folks, such as yourself, provide? 50%? 100%?

“Buy American, chumps” is a great mantra in theory, until reality hits us all in the pocketbook, and we all have to start paying out the arse for our vital services that we’ll-so-assuredly-miss-if-guys-like-you-decide-to-flip-the-off-switch. Passing a law to force companies to hire only American workers will surely have a net negative affect on American workers and consumers.

By the way, I got laid off myself back in 2007. I had a very tough time myself. It’s scary. There were many times when we thought we might lose our house because we couldn’t pay our bills. You know what I did? I STARTED MY OWN BUSINESS… and yes ANYONE can do it. You don’t have to be a genius.

I don’t weep or feel sorry for your feeble ex-coworker who took the easy way out and left his family up Sh!t’s Creek. I pity him.

spinach.chin on July 8, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Although Rubio and folks like him are our best hope for a return to sanity when I heard this on Rush the other day I did have a bit of a cringe reaction. I’m not even comfortable with the “new taxpayers” phraseology and I hope it doesn’t catch on. It’s almost like…set-em-up to knock-em-down. Wouldn’t it be nice if the government could run off of an endowment?

But with the GOP about to cave it looks like 13 trillion in dept will be the new floor, and whatever they trim off “entitlements” will not make a dent. How can they even deal when the Ds have not created a budget in two years? That in itself is a cave.

curved space on July 8, 2011 at 7:12 AM

quikstrike,

You claim to understand economics, but blame companies for relocating jobs overseas. Did they teach supply and demand in your class? If you are focused on the bottom line are you going to pay $8.00 an hour when a similar service can be provided at $1.50 an hour? Then there’s worker’s compensation, unemployment tax, payroll tax, the smorgasboard of benefits and (soon) the fine for not providing coverage that meets Obamacare standards. Suddenly, that $8.00 is more like $16-20. I don’t know about you, but I can’t see spending 10 times as much as having all the legal hassles just to be loyal.

But it’s just easier to drink the Kool Aid and think it’s the evil greedy CEOs.

John Deaux on July 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM

46 million potential taxpayers killed since 1973. We reap what we sow.

quiz1 on July 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Um, why do we need a law for that? How about this. Lets make the business environmnet in America attractive enough that companies want to operate here. Of course, with the regulatory barrage that has been implemented by this administration, we are surely going in the wrong direction for that to occur. Unions dont help creat that space either, and I am a union member. Have you ever tried to put an employee legitimately on the books for a year? Try it once so you can experience first hand the red tape, the myriad of fees and requirements and then know that if there is not enough work to sustain that job you will be paying unemployment for it. WOrkmans comp, SS, medicaid etc.. By the time you fulfill all of your gov obligation for that employee, people cant afford your services, or you wont make a profit, which is the whole point of running a business. You know what IS going on? A black market has been created. People are working part time for cash and not paying any tax. There is a lot of off the books activity because we are over regulated.

CriticalUpdate on July 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM

start talking about new taxpayers

I was half expecting this to be another call for amnesty.

agmartin on July 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM