First look: Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher

posted at 3:47 pm on July 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

I don’t know. The voice sounds right, of course, and no one’s going to give up on the movie after one teaser, but the vibe feels off. For one thing, I can imagine a lot of ways to capture the spirit of a movie about “The Iron Lady” in 60 seconds, but having two guys lecture her about her pearls isn’t near the top of the list. It’s not that the film shouldn’t touch on gender politics; it’s that, if you’re a Thatcher fan, there are a thousand other things about her that you’d rather see it address. Worse, there’s something about that self-satisfied, mischievous smirk after her big line that rings false. It doesn’t feel like Thatcher. It feels like Mrs. Doubtfire.

Her kids were claiming as far back as a year ago that this flick’s going to be a hatchet job. We’ll see. Exit question: Is Moe Lane right?

Comments

I’m betting her next line is “Isn’t Reagan an idiot?” and then they all laugh.

Fin

strictnein on July 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Ugh.

So many people have made this point already:

Thatcher NEVER made that — I want to say “mincing” — facial expression: it’s like her face is saying, “tee hee, I farted, mommy!”

Fail. Clearly Streep doesn’t “get” it.

ConservativeTalkRadio on July 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

We’ll see.

Some of us won’t.

cthulhu on July 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Leftist Hollyweird Nitwit playing Thatcher.

Yawn…

Jaibones on July 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I trust Meryl Streep.

SouthernGent on July 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

One of the worst actors ever IMHO.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

After seeing what Meryl Streep did to Julia Child, I will never watch her again no matter what she does. I think the lesson for any good actor is that you have to respect your character; if you think you are a better person than the original then you cannot do your job.

DaydreamBeliever on July 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

How completely out of character for Streep. Isn’t she the one whom the environmentalist wackos chose to ban Alar under completely false pretenses? If I were Thatcher I’d be upset that someone as lib as Streep was representing me.

Christian Conservative on July 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Best Maggie Thatcher movie scene evah!

YouTube quality is poor, but still…

Bruno Strozek on July 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Leftist Hollyweird Nitwit playing Thatcher.
Yawn…
Jaibones on July 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Was there any other option?

Count to 10 on July 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

It doesn’t feel like Thatcher. It feels like Mrs. Doubtfire.

…which would fit perfectly with how the left views Thatcher.

calbear on July 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Oh my, I got a Faye Dunaway as Joan Joan Crawford vibe.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Moe Lane:

Meryl Streep has sufficient professional pride (and enough of a healthy desire to not wreck her largely apolitical professional reputation) to not do a hack job.

Largely apolitical? Really? A brief survey of my memory and a few pages of Google results tell me otherwise.

steebo77 on July 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Can’t be worse than that “Maggie Thatcher” cameo at the end of For Her Thighs Only. A terrific Bond movie BTW, but what a stupid ending.

Doughboy on July 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

And that alone blows away most, if not all, of my interest.

MadisonConservative on July 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I thought that was a pretty good trailer.

I’ll go see it. I love Meryl.

Aquateen Hungerforce on July 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

It feels like Mrs. Doubtfire.

Hellooooooooooooohhhhh.

portlandon on July 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Looks pretty dopey.

They will focus on gender politics because they don’t want to talk about her successful right wing policies.

PattyJ on July 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Maggie Thatcher is still alive, and beloved her country men. If Meryl takes a hatchet to her, we can expect a backlash and boycott of all things Streep. Let’s us hope Meryl Streep managed to contain her pinko instincts.

Dr Evil on July 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

DaydreamBeliever on July 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Would you believe I had to look Julia Child up?
I have only one thing to say about the life story I read on wiki: wow.

Count to 10 on July 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Doughboy on July 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Them’s is fightin’ words, Mr. Pastry…

Bruno Strozek on July 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

She looks like Lucille Ball performing as June Allison performing in a remake of “The Glen Miller Story”!

pilamaye on July 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Bad trailer that warns me that they won’t be serious. Why? For all Thatcher’s qualities, they chose to focus on her traditional looks and her pearls? Way to trivialize Thatcher’s strength, Hollyweird.

Warner Todd Huston on July 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Arrogant Hollywood Liberals Cast Merryl Streep As Margaret Thatcher

Turns out it was too much to hope for.

In the same article I read where British taxpayers had been obliged by their government to invest £1 million in the film. Mrs Thatcher’s friends are nervous about the way Streep plays her as a confused octogenarian who looks back on decisions she made with sadness, accompanied by the ghost of her late husband, Sir Denis Thatcher. Using the Freedom of Information Act, which covers all public bodies, they asked for full details of the request to the Film Council for public funds.
Continued at the link I posted above.

I’m not going to see this trash….Hey Meryl, Socialism a great idea until you run out of other people’s money, Baroness Margaret Thatcher. Just ask Greece.

Dr Evil on July 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Oh my, I got a Faye Dunaway as Joan Joan Crawford vibe.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Me too! Looked like she was ready to say “No more wire hangers!”

Brat on July 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Dr Evil on July 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

You would have thought Hollywood would have learned after Babs Streisand’s hit piece on Ronald Reagan, produced while he too was in the grip of Alzheimer’s.

CurtZHP on July 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

One of the worst most over-rated actors ever IMHO.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

fixed…

PatriotRider on July 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Right after I typed that, I realized, Hollywood never learns.

CurtZHP on July 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Who knew Pat Nixon had an English accent?

KyMouse on July 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Brat on July 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Very creepy!

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

DaydreamBeliever on July 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Yep.
That did it for our house, too.
Really awful.
I have actually met Julia Childs and her husband Paul.
The movie portrayal by Streep and Tucci should have been a criminal offense.

Jenfidel on July 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Right after I typed that, I realized, Hollywood never learns.

CurtZHP on July 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

We’re the ones that are supposed to learn from Hollywood. Otherwise how would we know, George Bush is an idiot, Barack Obama is the smartest man to ever walk the earth. Or that America is the most evil empire and the cause of all world suffering. I for one am glad this movie has been made. Now the world will know the truth about this mediocre woman.

Tommy_G on July 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, something was off with Streep’s take on Thatcher. The smirk made me think Streep was making fun of Thatcher instead of respecting the person she was playing.

taney71 on July 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Jenfidel on July 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Maybe that will be the movie’s saving grace, I didn’t know much about Mrs. Childs so Ms. Streeps performance wasn’t offensive to me. If there are moviegoers who don’t remember P.M. Thatcher, they will probably be fine with it. Although it seems like I read that the movie’s handling of dementia is offensive and that won’t play well with the public.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Letting a bunch of Liberal nut jobs do a movie about a great conservative woman is like letting the KKK do a the biography of Martin Luther King.

In the bubbly land of brain-dead liberals rational thought is only allowed in months ending in “Z”.

NickDeringer on July 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM

don’t have to watch it…it will be a hatchet job…

cmsinaz on July 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Meryl Streep is unbelievable.

Woman can play ANY role.

nickj116 on July 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Having the far left Streep play conservative Thatcher is just plain silly. Only a leftist in Hollywood would try this kind of garbage. IF this movie is ever released it will be a major bomb. The liberals will not go to a movie about a conservative and the conservatives will always see Streep as the leftist she is.

The studio needs to recast this role before they lose millions of dollars.

But then, they probably do not care about making money, just smearing political people they have HATED their entire lives.

Freddy on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

don’t have to watch it…it will be a hatchet job…

cmsinaz on July 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Seconded. I’ll watch The River Wild instead; watch her and Kevin Bacon duke it out.

austinnelly on July 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Ok, I apologize for typing before I watched the clip.

This is a total hatchet job from the get go. The first insinuation is that Thatcher has no mind of her own, That there are some ‘handlers’ controlling her every move.

This is EXACTLY the LIE the left likes to attach to EVERY conservative. The theme that conservatives are stupid and need to be told what, when, and how to look, speak, and think. PURE LEFTIST CRAP!

Freddy on July 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM

January 2012 release date is all I need to know that this movie is likely a dog. If it was any good, it would be released December 2011 for the Academy voters to vote for it fresh in their minds.

Or…

it is an endearing portrayal of Britain’s first female prime minister who is a Conservative and the Left wishes to have it buried in the forgotten month of January.

islandman78 on July 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM

The movie used Paul Child via Tucci to make a Leftist political statement about America’s foreign policy.
My husband got so mad, he made me turn it off!
While Julia and Paul Child met while serving in the OSS, precursor to the CIA, in Paris, I don’t believe either ever regretted their service or talked down the United States overseas.
I met Mrs. Child doing a benefit for PBS and actually cooked for her and had her eat the dish I’d prepared from her recipe!
She couldn’t have been more lovely and gracious.
It was a memory I’ll always cherish.
(Streep made her look like a loveable buffoon. Can her Thatcher be that much different?)

Jenfidel on July 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM

This is a teaser. The big reveal at the end is that these chaps are talking to Margaret Thatcher/Merryl Streep which, in theatres, would be a surprise. That’s also why you don’t see Maggie making a speech, or doing much of anything really.

It’s being released in December, but will open across the country in January. Even if it is a dog, Streep is a lock to get an Oscar nomination.

And the writer and the director are Brits, as is the film itself.

YYZ on July 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Hey who is up for a Hollywood film about female conservatives in an election year?

bitsy on July 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM

YYZ on July 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Oops, should have read your comment before I posted… How far left is the British film industry compared to Hollywood?

bitsy on July 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Jenfidel on July 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Now that you mention it, I do remember that little shot at the U.S. and their service. I remembered thinking that Hollywood must feel that it was obligatory and that it added nothing to the story. I can’t imagine what they will do to Mrs. Thatcher.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM

As far as I know, the real Lady Thatcher did have one big regret about her political career.

It was that she could not do in Britain what Reagan did in America because the long established National Health Service had pushed the people too far into government dependency to pull them back.

I’ll bet a thousand dollars that gets no mention whatsoever in this movie.

Her regrets will be “why did I have to be so mean to the poor and disadvantaged? Why did I let my racism influence my policies? I wish I had given peace a chance.”

You know the drill.

Brian1972 on July 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM

If the screenplay were such that Thatcher’s family approved of it, Streep wouldn’t have agreed to be in the film.

Knott Buyinit on July 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM

YYZ on July 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM

So is the “artist community” in nonpartisan?

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Richard Dryfuss did such a neutral portrayal of Dick Cheney.

Ditto Josh Brolin and Reagan.

These lib actors live for the chance to shape the perceptions of their political adversaries on film for eternity.

Sarah Palin is on deck.

Brian1972 on July 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM

So is the “artist community” in nonpartisan?

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Ahahahaahahahahahaaaaahahahahahaha…………….(breathe)….AAAAhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me another good joke.

Brian1972 on July 7, 2011 at 5:29 PM

OT: Is anyone else getting the “Daily Cannibal” ads? Allah using the word hatchet sure does trigger some creepy google ads. Someone else can click it cause I sure as hell ain’t.

Nelsen on July 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Brian1972 on July 7, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Well, it was actually a question but I assume your answer would indicate a left leaning bent.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Another H’weird flop. Wait for the part where she & RR look lovingly at each other. The historical distortions will be monumental.

Kissmygrits on July 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Speaking of movie trailers…

Victory Film Group Releases Trailer for ‘The Undefeated’

steebo77 on July 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Seriously liberals, stay away from Conservative icons when you’ve blacklisted them all from working in your town.

Daemonocracy on July 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I like Meryls acting. She is a good actress. I’ll give her that.

However…I’m not putting out hard earned money on movies right now. We did break and go see Transformers with the kids. Mostly because we saw the previous 2 in theaters, so went to see this one as well. That might be the last we see for a long while, unless we break and go see Cars 2. Loved the first. Hope the 2nd is just as good or better…but I never hold out much hope for sequels. Very few are better than the first.

Matrix comes to mind. LOL

capejasmine on July 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Meryl Streep is unbelievable.

Woman can play ANY role.

nickj116 on July 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM

My God, the woman sang in “Mamma Mia” and even held a straight face singing along with an unbelievably off-key Pierce Brosnan!

Only Streep could pull off something like that!

pilamaye on July 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I figured this was going to be a hatchet job since day one. Streep, while being a very good actress, has her far left political agenda (Remember here crying about some pesticide or other on apples that was harmless in front of Congress? “What about the children!!!!! *sob*)

I might watch it on Netflix later.

simkeith on July 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Speaking of IRON LADIES:

stenwin77 on July 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM

The Iron Lady played by the Tin Foil.

profitsbeard on July 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Leftist Hollyweird Nitwit playing Thatcher.

Yawn…

Jaibones on July 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Khun Joe on July 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Let’s face it, even if it were pitch perfect and Reagan himself wrote the script, conservatives would still find something to complain about in this movie because it’s Hollywood and all things Hollywood are inherently evil.

Yawn.

It's Vintage, Duh on July 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM

I never watch Streep when I can avoid it, and I can usually avoid it.

Extrafishy on July 8, 2011 at 5:40 AM