CA legislature passes gay-history mandate as the ship sinks

posted at 9:25 am on July 6, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Rarely do we get a juxtaposition of stories like we see today about California’s political class.  The legislature returned from the Independence Day holiday to address the pressing, acute issue that has the state in crisis mode — the lack of mention in schools of accomplishments by gays and lesbians:

A bill to require California public schools to teach the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state Legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a first for the nation.

Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has not said publicly whether he supports the bill, which he has 12 days to sign or veto once it reaches his desk later this month. If he takes no action, the measure would become law automatically. …

California already requires public schools to teach the contributions made to society by women and by racial and ethnic groups that were historically discriminated against, such as blacks, Latinos and Native Americans.

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals in that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

“It’s unfair to leave out or exclude an entire portion of our population from history,” said Carolyn Laub, executive director of San Francisco-based Gay-Straight Alliance Network.

Remember the days when we just taught history and civics and worried more about whether our children acquired the necessary skills in civics to be informed citizens able to responsibly act in self-governance, before we turned history and civics classes into check boxes for various victim castes?  Good times, good times.

Meanwhile, the minor, multibillion-dollar problem in budgeting still threatens to push California into default.  The Los Angeles Times reports that one reason California can’t pay its bills is because more than 1400 of its employees make over $200,000 per year, putting them into the same range as a Vice President of the United States.  One prison doctor pulls down more than three quarters of a million dollars each year (via Newsalert):

More than 1,400 state employees were paid in excess of $200,000 last year, according to compensation data made public for the first time Tuesday on Controller John Chiang‘s website.

Of those, 790 were prison doctors, dentists or nurses. More than 300 others were psychiatrists and other medical professionals working for the Department of Mental Health.

One prison doctor collected $777,423 in 2010 and a dentist took home $599,403, according to the website. The president of the state’s stem cell research agency received $482,234.

So who are these public employees?  You’ll never know … at least if Chiang has anything to say about it:

Chiang, a Democrat who has received millions in campaign contributions from state employee unions, did not include workers’ names even though that information is public and has been provided upon request for years.

As if this isn’t bad enough, the Times’ Jack Dolan reports that state records show that one prison psychiatrist received over $590,000 — for unused sick time dating back less than three years. Another dentist got over half a million dollars in sick-time payouts.  Over three hundred state employees got more than $100,000 in such lump-sum payouts in 2010.

Perhaps the state legislature passes these nonsense education mandates in order to keep the next generation of citizens from learning about such historical events in America as the Boston Tea Party, the Sons of Liberty, and civics lessons like impeachment.  The Golden State is sinking into a sea of red ink because of holes drilled in their financial ship by public-employee unions, and the political class at the helm can only act to instruct passengers to salute politically-correct victim classes on the way to the bottom.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s is absurd to claim that people’s relationships haven’t effected history. My position is that while we shouldn’t go out of way to find gay people and talk about them, we shouldn’t fear mentioning their sexuality where it is relevant. To give an example more relevant to literature than history, when talking about Walt Whitman’s poetry, Whitman’s sexuality should be brought up. My position is the only one that doesn’t make a big deal out of homosexuality one way or another.

To say we must remain silent always on homosexuality is to make a big deal out of homosexuality.

thuja on July 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

And the state needs to demand that homosexuality be brought up (even if it’s somehow relevant to the topic and the states mandate would only magically apply in such situations)?

Also, bringing up Walt Whitman’s sexuality *could* be relevant and used as information and help better understand his poetry but what are the odds it will be used for this instead of being brought up to make some sort of moral/political statement?

gwelf on July 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Ok, my kids are coming out of the public schools. Why is it so important to teach kids what gender causes someone to become sexually aroused?

The issue is all about sexuality. I don’t want our elementary schools indoctrinating my kids in sexuality of any sort, homo, hetero, whatever. That is NOT the role of our government or our schools.

crosspatch on July 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM

…My position is that while we shouldn’t go out of way to find gay people and talk about them…

This might be a bit more believable if the one example of gay contributions you put forth was based on fact and not the rumor of the Baron’s homosexuality.

Surely you can find a better examples than that.

thuja on July 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Gang-of-One on July 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

…But don’t dare anyone teach about black founding fathers.

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

…But don’t dare anyone teach about black founding fathers.

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Ding!

The left’s worst nightmare.

darwin on July 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Back in the day when homosexuality was an actual crime, allegations were used to smear and even imprison people. Using Baron Frederick William Von Steuben as an example:

It’s rumored he was kicked out of the guard and exiled for a suspected homosexual affair.

It’s also quite possible that he had an affair with the spouse of a superior.Wishing to avoid embarrassment, the cuckolded officer leveled an allegation of homosexuality, which will now be trumpeted through CA classrooms.

John Deaux on July 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

gwelf on July 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

You make good points. I have a political agenda that includes acceptance of gays, but my agenda is nuanced and conservative. Why? I want to avoid having anti-homophobia being elevated to the sacred cow that anti-racism has become. It’s my belief that anti-racism does far more damage to this country than whatever little racism remains. I’m sure anti-homophobia would also lend itself to crazy leftist excesses, like requiring us to pretend that male bisexuals exists and that the government should pay for transsexual’s gender changes under the rubric of health care, and who knows what from there. I just know it will be destructive. Perhaps, I should call my position “gay acceptance without moral fetishism”.

thuja on July 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM

thuja on July 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Sorry, but I call BS. Your statement is a perfect example of pushing sexuality where it does not need to go. You have no logical method of distinguishing Whitman from every other historical figure, nor from other demographic details. I suppose we need to know each historical figure’s height, weight, number of siblings, sexual orientation, the sexual orientation of both parents, etc. While I have up to now been 100% tolerant and “accepting,” I am being pushed around now and am likely to fight back. Right now I’d rather all of our good friends go back into the closet and shut up.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Actually the only fair way to do this is to identify the sexual orientation of all historical figures. That means that all historical heterosexuals must be identified as such. It also should be stated that their accomplishments were due in part to their heterosexuality.

darwin on July 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

thuja on July 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I mostly agree with you – though I’d say I support gay tolerance (just as I’d support tolerance of anyone). “Acceptance” has too much of an air of agreement for my tastes.

I’m a religious conservative and I believe that homosexuality is a sin – I don’t believe in state-sponsored promotion of homosexuality but I also don’t believe in state sponsored “attacks” on homosexuality. I believe that government should stay out of it for the most part.

gwelf on July 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

gwelf on July 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

As could his religion, childhood experiences, or any one of a million other factors. If not to promote a moral/political agenda, why else is this relevant?

John Deaux on July 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I really, really hate this Fckin state.

I’m trapped like a rat.
Guess I’ll start chewing through the walls.

1IDVET on July 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM

It’s is absurd to claim that people’s relationships haven’t effected history. My position is that while we shouldn’t go out of way to find gay Christian people and talk about them, we shouldn’t fear mentioning their sexuality relationship with Jesus Christ where it is relevant. To give an example more relevant to literature history than history literature, when talking about Walt Whitman’s poetry George Washington’s writings, Whitman’s sexuality Washington’s belief in Jesus Christ and Divine intervention should be brought up. My position is the only one that doesn’t make a big deal out of homosexuality Christianity one way or another.

To say we must remain silent always on homosexuality Christianity is to make a big deal out of homosexuality Christianity.

thuja on July 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

FIFY. Still feel the same way about your statement when I switch out a few words?

dominigan on July 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM

And this is why San Diego, Riverside, etc need to secede from California and form South California, to get away from the tyrannical forces in Sacramento who feel the means of forced indoctrination are justified.

jsingood on July 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM

dominigan on July 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Good work.

Vince on July 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM

John Deaux on July 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM

There is no state mandate that religion or childhood experiences be explicitly discussed.

So, are you saying that the state should demand that a discussion of religion and religious affiliations/practices be discussed in a positive manner whenever tangentially relevant?

Also, it’s interesting that you raise homosexuality to the level of religion and a summation of childhood experiences. Being ‘gay’ may be the all-encompassing element of self-definition for homosexuals (I doubt it but this assumption seems to present in your statement and statements commonly made by the pro-homosexual agenda) but the rest of us don’t really care all that much. Someone is gay – fine, it doesn’t have to be brought up at every opportunity or linked to everything/anything, or even brought up at all unless it’s relevant. I don’t go around proudly proclaiming I’m straight and what my sexual preferences are.

gwelf on July 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM

So will Sodom and Gomorrah be included in the list of commemorations?

scotash on July 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM

gwelf,

My point is that homosexuality in tangential to a person’s accomplishments, just as religion, childhood experiences, or a lifetime affinity for drinking orange juice in the morning.

We might just as well require special consideration for historical figures of above average girth to appease the National Cankle Conference.

History is exactly that. History. Grouping it by “special” categories serves no constructive purpose.

John Deaux on July 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

John Deaux on July 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I agree.

gwelf on July 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM

crosspatch on July 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM

What DO you want them to learn? Math and english? Ha!

hawksruleva on July 6, 2011 at 2:09 PM

What DO you want them to learn? Math and english? Ha!

hawksruleva on July 6, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Who cares! Children can grade themselves for a solid B+ these days.

Shy Guy on July 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Good. I hope they’ll include a history of gay bathhouses in SF — the ones so instrumental in starting the AIDs industry we so know and love…

And a history of gay priests who screwed my Church. Particularly the ones in California, since they have such a parochial interest in same.

unclesmrgol on July 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM

unclesmrgol on July 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I don’t think I’d get my hopes up too much. If anything they’ll blame AIDS on heterosexual old white guys. The same people they blame everything on.

darwin on July 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM

How much more will CA pay to translate & teach the lesson into spanish, etc to service the schools with the majority illegal or legal but non-english speaking populations?

Moreover, the culture clash on this one will be tremendous. Who is going to force the majority Muslim populations to attend these classes?

batterup on July 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM

How come they don’t have history of those that pick their toes in public? Why should they be excluded from the public discourse?
What about Polar Bear club memebers history? Leaving them out is just outrageous.

FactsofLife on July 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM

sorry, but CA has the wrong kind of faults to slide off into the sea. unlike japan’s subduction faults that literally will allow it’s coast to break off, CA has strike faults. this is why CA will never experience earthquakes of the magnitude seen in Japan this spring. faults like san andreas simply can’t generate that type of force.

DrW on July 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM

“CA legislature passes gay-history mandate as ship sinks.”

Appropriate musical interlude.
– Shy Guy on July 6, 2011 at 9:32 a.m.

Well, I knew it wouldn’t be “Nearer, My God, to Thee.”

KyMouse on July 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I really, really hate this Fckin state.

I’m trapped like a rat.
Guess I’ll start chewing through the walls.

1IDVET on July 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM

We felt that way about Illinois-and when we chewed through our walls we found Texas on the other side.
Texas could be on the other side of your ‘wall’ too.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Aside from the absurd notion of a legislative body dictating actual course content to a teacher inside a classroom at all, subject by subject, this example is simply so out there as to fall into the grab-bag description I hear often, “Only in Hollywood” – modified in this case to “Only in California.”

The California legislature is PROUD that it is the only legislature in the nation to pass this nonsense? That is a head-nodding indication of just how deluded they are. The state symbol is a Bear. It should more likely be a late-60′s wastrel wandering the beach in a hashish cloud.

We’re talking HISTORY here. Meaning the sexual orientation of someone is qualified for the classification, historic. All facts are not historic facts. Someone becoming the first openly gay member of the U.S. Supreme Court (no suggestions, here, just an example) might be historic. At least worth mention. The fact that a composer, or poet, or writer, was heterosexual, homosexual, lesbian or totally abstinent is hardly historic. Everybody is something sexual even if it’s non-sexual.

How many people have ever played an Elton John song for their loved one, or sung it themselves in memory of the like? I can assure you that males sing them to females. And, if you have any doubt about Sir Elton’s sexual orientation, you need only see him on a shopping spree. Who cares?

Let me ask this. Should we discuss Elton John in a music class because of his art? Or should we discuss him because of his sexual orientation?

Most if not all my gay friends would just as soon be known for their life. Since they consider their orientation to merely be a part of their makeup, not something exceptional, any more so than is that of their hetero friends. They certainly don’t consider it historic that they’re gay, or lesbian, or multi-sexual, whatever that might be.

[I made up mtlti-sexual for fun but that, if it should be discovered, would be worth at least a page in some book, somewhere. Otherwise, don't bother me.]

IndieDogg on July 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM

This is right in line with the state approved (mandated?) cartoon for kindergarten and early elementary school classes that teaches the benefits of labor organizing. Seems that Farmer Jones isn’t giving the chickens enough sunshine and the feed isn’t top notch and he expects the hens to lay eggs. One chicken sets about calling for a labor action and confronts the Farmer to educate him on the rights of the workers and force changes. yada yada

Oh, don’t forget all the time devoted to reaching kids about Cinco de Mayo and Mexican folk songs and dances, all while American folk dances and songs are trashed as being discriminatory and racist.

Boy I love living in CA…

in_awe on July 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Almost forgot – some of the latest high school history books give all of 1 paragraph to describing Abe Lincoln and his role in American history. Gotta make room for more important stuff, I guess.

in_awe on July 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Boy I love living in CA…

in_awe on July 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Who do people put up with it?

darwin on July 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

in_awe on July 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

In another ten years or so, the books won’t even mention him.

By the middle of the century, kids won’t even know who he is.

Take solace in the fact they will however be able to calculate their carbon footprint and be ‘tolerant’ of everyone – except evil, Christian, white males with jobs and families, married to a woman.

catmman on July 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

catmman on July 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

You really think Christians will be around by the middle of the century? After the left cleans out the Jews, Christians are next. Then the communists and Islamists will battle it out for top dog of the world.

darwin on July 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I read they are also going to teach 1st graders gender neutrality.

The homosexual community needs to recruit. This is true. They can’t really reproduce so they have got to recruit.

JellyToast on July 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Boy I love living in CA…

in_awe on July 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Who do people put up with it?

darwin on July 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Moved here to SF 1984 after growing up in the Ohio and Illinois with the values of that region and of parents who in the 1950′s-1970′s taught us the old fashioned virtues.

At first CA was “normal” then the tilt left began gaining strength and now the public employee unions and the political districting assures Democrats an unbreakable
hold on the legislature and all regulatory bodies in the state.

Where I live in OC is a city of 220,000 people, yet the state classifies us as a rural agricultural community for determining our allocation of taxes for schools (for instance). That results in an annual shortfall of >$4MM for the local schools compared to what they would receive if we were properly classified. The classification has been protested since 1974 and the Dems in the statehouse reject it every year because we are in OC – a Republican “stronghold”.

The Dem head of the state Senate recently said that since Republicans want lower spending, he would make sure that Republican districts in the state would bear a disproportionate burden of any budget cuts.

We are a banana republic run by corrupt Democrats intent on “leading the nation and the world” down the path to social and fiscal ruin. Conservatives don’t have the numbers or the dollars to effectively do battle in CA anymore.

The courts are also titling the playing field. A local city announced a major layoff of city workers as the city out sourced most of the work to private firms. A judge stayed that decision as being unfair to the city’s union workers! In essence he told the city it has to go bankrupt. In this state the city must then petition a commission, recently created and populated with union hacks, for permission to file for BK. Wanna guess how often permission will be granted?

I can’t afford to move, so we are stuck in this surreal world. Nice beaches and low humidity though…

in_awe on July 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM

California, the 21st Century Sodom and Gomorrah.

infidel4life on July 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Would it be too much to ask for the supporters of this movement to provide some examples of “historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians” to be taught as such?

I mean, “gay” as a concept is only a century old or two – before that, there were men who indulged in sodomy – and in some nonglobalized places in the world the concept still doesn’t even exist. People still pursue “alternative sexuality” but they aren’t a subculture or identity group.

HitNRun on July 6, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Great Moments in GLbT History;

On a dusty day in early 1842, at a hacienda near San Francisco, two lesbian pioneer women accidentally discover that candle wax dripped on public hair depilitates when removed quickly.

The frontier Brazilian is born!

profitsbeard on July 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM

How many hours of sick leave do state medical personnel get anyway? How can you possibly rack up a half million dollar’s worth in a matter of a few years?

So, what’s the deal on this? Have there been GLBT people who have been kept out of the history books because of their sexual orientation? Or are there a significant number of GLBT historical figures who simply haven’t been outed? Or perhaps we’re going to start including people of negligible historical significance in history textbooks just because they’re of the “persuasion.” Maybe we can save everybody a lot of time and institute a code that can be included in parenthesis after the name of any historical figure: Male, Female, Transgender, White, Black, Latin, Asian, Indiginous, Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual and so forth.

SukieTawdry on July 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM

When I read the article and afterwards, I read the comments of those who defended this non-sense and I find them imbeciles. I’m sorry, but the sex orientation of a historical figure is irrelevant to a history lesson. If I want to know their sex lives, I’ll buy their biographies and read it on my own time. I have no idea why the extreme gays and lesbians here in the US are so freaking insecure? They are doing a great lot of disservice to their respective communities. California school children needs an education in math, science, history, English grammar, literature and speech not a lesson on whose gay and whose not.

DinobotPrime on July 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM

There must be a point in civic abuse where massive resistance and refusal to participate comes into play. Perhaps citizens withholding property tax payments, no more quarterly income tax payments, removal of children from government schools, rowdy PTA meetings confronting teachers and administrators, boycott of newspapers and their advertisers that support the destruction of the society through their editorial policies, news shaping and influence. Energized elections with clear intent to roll back the abuses and to defy the courts that stand athwart the will of the people. The list must be long. Courts live and operate at the sufferance of the people. If they crack wise, cut them off at the pockets and provide statutory priorities for their work that keeps them busy on legitimate issues. The societal subversives are few in number but they’ve captured a disproportionate amount of the high ground. It’s time to root them out, ruthlessly.

Mason on July 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Meanwhile, Californians on a San Diego beach don’t even know enough American history to say why we celebrate the 4th of July.

Celebrating our independence from um…Mexico? China? America?

Absolutely pathetic!

wren on July 7, 2011 at 1:37 AM

DrW on July 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM

When I was in high school in Long Beach, eons ago, our science teacher told us that eventually LA would travel so far north as to become a suburb of San Francisco. There must be a joke in there somewhere.

SKYFOX on July 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM

And I’m sure Nazism and its homosexual links will be part of the Modern World WW2 curriculum.

andycanuck on July 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM