Poll: Majority of Jewish Americans still solidly support President Obama

posted at 10:35 am on July 5, 2011 by Tina Korbe

After President Barack Obama revealed the suspect status of his support for Israel — and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wowed crowds with a sternly-worded address to a special joint session of Congress — some speculated Jewish American support for Obama would wane. But a new Gallup poll out yesterday shows a large majority still approve of the president.

Jewish Americans gave President Barack Obama a 60% job approval rating in June, down from 68% in May, but statistically unchanged from 64% in April. Thirty-two percent of U.S. Jews now disapprove of the job Obama is doing, similar to their 30% average thus far in 2011. …

President Obama delivered a major speech at the State Department on May 19 in which he articulated his support for a settlement to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict based on a return to Israel’s 1967 borders. His remarks provoked a highly negative reaction from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as well as from many high profile supporters of Israel in government, politics, and media.

Gallup cannot say whether the speech had an immediate impact on the views of Jewish Americans toward the president nationally, as sample sizes for this group in Gallup Daily tracking are too small to isolate short time periods.

However, aggregated Gallup Daily tracking interviews for the month and half periods prior to and following the speech show no significant nor sustained shift in Jewish Americans’ views toward Obama. Sixty-five percent approved of him for the April 1-May 18 time period, and 62% approved from May 19-June 30. Across the two time periods, approval was also essentially flat among all U.S. adults.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Jews who attend synagogue weekly — who tend to be more conservative, in general — are less supportive of Obama than those who don’t.

In general, the poll confirms what Ed said earlier:

The Jewish vote won’t suddenly swing to the GOP, for reasons that have nothing to do with Obama.  Jewish voters tend to be more progressive; the Democratic Party is a more natural home for them.  While there may be some truth in the notion that African-Americans are naturally more conservative and could be won over with a more concerted effort by Republicans to address their issues through debate (as Jack Kemp tried), that’s almost certainly not true of Jewish voters as a bloc.  The GOP position on Israel might be a better fit, but on domestic politics, they’ll keep voting Democratic.

But the official affirmation of Jewish support the poll provides is still good news for Obama, who needs every bit of approval he can muster heading into a difficult reelection. Of course, he especially needs any approval that will translate to campaign cash — and whether this poll actually contradicts what some have said, that the crucial category of politically active Jews are less enthused about Obama than ever before, remains to be seen. After all, the poll didn’t specifically seek out Jewish Americans noted for political involvement. It could be the (randomized) sample that so strongly supports Obama just happens to barely vote, let alone donate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

DUH.

Can we move on now?

artist on July 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Can’t cure stupid

gophergirl on July 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Why is that, are they “retarded?” or do they just want to bring about the end of their state? Never could understand their voting preferences.

rgranger on July 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM

If you hate yourself for being a Jew, convert to Catholicism. Same guilt, less self-loathing.

SKYFOX on July 5, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Idiot JINO.

bayview on July 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM

It’s not that they support him, per se, but that they would solidly support any democrat president, candidate for president, or democrat politician because they truly believe in the moral cause of socialist or progressive politics. It’s part of the Jewish culture. Like the Jewish woman said in the video to the conservative Jewish guy at a demonstration, “You’re not being a good Jew.”

keep the change on July 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Yes. but if just 8% more of Jewish voters in NY go for the GOP candidate, obama will lose NY

ConservativePartyNow on July 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM

With Obama’s Jewish fundraising flagging, Gallup obviously saw a need to “buck up the troops” with this poll. I would not be surprised if Gallup generated data to support their premise (and their goal).

olesparkie on July 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Oy vey.

Naturally Curly on July 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM

The Right: We stand with Israel and all people who desire true freedom and liberty.

The Left: We hate Israel, the Jews, and will compell people to accept our ideology if not by the power of persuasion … then with the persuasion of power.

American Jews: The left is our cup of tea!

I’m leaving now to go beat my head against a wall.

darwin on July 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM

For people who say they don’t understand this, well this is a good jumping off point.

keep the change on July 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I have yet to meet a black person who isn’t voting for him in 2012. He’s good for at least 18% already with these two groups.

SouthernGent on July 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM

ConservativePartyNow on July 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Now THAT’S funny!

BallisticBob on July 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM

The Democrats throw the better cocktail parties. You can get your picture made with tom Hanks…or win a date with Barry and Biden./

kingsjester on July 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM

SKYFOX on July 5, 2011 at 10:42 AM

LoL
Actually-I did that…after a 14 year side-trip to Evangelical protestantism.
Btw: My Jewish mother(a conservative) despises Zero!
She’ll be voting for whomever the GOP nominee…unless it’s RP(won’t be) or…Palin.
If it’s Palin, Ma has said that she’ll sit on her hands.
She lives in Illinois so it’s not like it’ll change who takes the state anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Nothing sudden, but support is eroding.

Hopefully it shows up in fund raising and turnout.

I betcha Obama’s stooges are getting pretty worried about turnout even in his most solid voter blocs.

forest on July 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM

It’s part of the Jewish culture.

keep the change on July 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Just the opposite. JINOs long ago bucked their Jewish culture.

THE VANISHING AMERICAN JEW

Shy Guy on July 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM

There going to have to rewrite that famous quote:

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t was a Jew…

Fallon on July 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM

SouthernGent on July 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I have. In fact I know some that voted for McCain/Palin.

darwin on July 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Why would you continue to support a party that supports an ideology that has as one of it’s top priorities the extermination of Jews?

darwin on July 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM

More proof that liberalism is about self loathing.

CurtZHP on July 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Just the opposite. JINOs long ago bucked their Jewish culture.

THE VANISHING AMERICAN JEW

Shy Guy on July 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM

eh, my parents weren’t/aren’t(my father’s dead) practicing Jews…but they’ve never forgotten where they came from. When I was very little my father was a regional director for the BBYO(B’nai Brith Youth Organization)
Ma’s solidly pro-Israel but is a patriot first. Her gentleman friend is Catholic.

Actually-I wish my parents HAD been more religious. If that had been the case I might not be Catholic now.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Speaking as somebody who is a Jewish American (thus is not afraid to be labeled as racist or an anti-semite because of my views) Jewish Americans have disgusted me since I was born almost 30 years ago almost without fail (sadly).

There is such a SHARP divide as to what processes goes through the thinking of a Jewish American as opposed to an Israeli Jew. Their questionable motivation, the blind support for almost all that is liberal, and almost a sort of inner and secret disgust with their true homeland make me ashamed to call myself Jewish in this country.

My very own mother and grandmother are the exact same way as those who are quick to verbally crucify those who stand up for the security of the Israelis . I confront them often as to how they could support a regime in Washington which loathes their Israeli counterpart with such utter and OBVIOUS disdain. Their reply leaves so much to be desired as it is almost a robotic cult like response that echos something along the lines of either “Obama is misunderstood,” or “he is a good man.” I kindly remind them that some of the most dangerous men in human history were labeled as “misunderstood,” time and time again, but that just does not seem to phase them.

Truly a disgusting display from a group of people who should know so much better, but really do not.

Indy82 on July 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Its the same situation as Guiliani vs. Dinkins in 1993 – even after Crown Heights, it was a given that NYC Jewish voters were still going to give the majority of their votes to the Democrat. It was a question of how big the margin was. Sixty percent is not good for Obama, especially in Florida and possibly even in New Jersey.

jon1979 on July 5, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Jews who “barely vote”??In your dreams. They are and have been the most politically active ethnic group in America for the last 80 years.

xkaydet65 on July 5, 2011 at 10:57 AM

This is something that has always left me confused. I guess the best explanation I something that Rush said, “Liberals are liberals first — everything else comes second.”

Doesn’t lessen my support for Israel or the Jewish people one bit, though.

stefanite on July 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM

You don’t even see the start of the assimilation in your description of what defined your parent’s “Jewishness”, do you?

I cannot right what I want to, as this is not the forum for it.

Shy Guy on July 5, 2011 at 11:00 AM

There going to have to rewrite that famous quote:

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t was a Jew…

Fallon on July 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM

The biggest threat to Judaism is a low birthrate and assimilation.
My brother’s wife is a Catholic-turned Wiccan. They don’t intend to have kids.
I left the faith and both of my husband’s have been Protestants.
Judaism is passed on through the maternal line. Technically speaking my son is Jewish because of me-but since I left the faith my son has been raised generic Christian.
As a result there’s one less Jewish male in the population.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I’ve read that many of the Soviet citizens sentenced to long terms in the Siberian gulags believed that their imprisonment was a mistake, and if they could just get word to ‘Joe’ Stalin, he would correct the error in a second.

That’s the kind of political allegiance Jews have to the democratic party. You don’t break that kind of faith with a bad speech or standing someone up at lunchtime.

slickwillie2001 on July 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Not gonna change a century of loyalty in two years.

mankai on July 5, 2011 at 11:03 AM

American Jews are more obsessed that any woman can get an abortion then they are that Israel will still be standing five years from now. American Christians care more about Israel then American Jews do.

Jdripper on July 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Haven’t met my brother-in-law.

rbj on July 5, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I cannot right what I want to, as this is not the forum for it.

Shy Guy on July 5, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I was looking for direction-and my upbringing didn’t give it to me.
My attempts at being ‘Jewish’ left me feeling empty. I was baptized Protestant but about 2 years ago I finally got sick of my mother-in-law informing me that the Shoah happened because the Jews refused to accept Jesus and that the 6 million(and my late father) were all burning in hell.
Catholicism hasn’t forgotten its Jewish roots and-at least the way I practice it-isn’t so blood thirty regarding the final destination of the Jewish soul.
My patron saint-Edith Stein-was a brilliant Jewish-born philosopher turned Carmelite nun who was gassed at Auschwitz.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Indy82 on July 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I appreciate the insight.

I remember in 1984 being in the clear minority in my Catholic Church. Our DRE (Director of Religious Ed) had a huge Mondale/Ferraro poster in his office and our priests and nuns were in love with Mondale. Mondale bumper stickers outnumbered Reagan stickers in the parking lot.

To put it in perspective, I live in NC (not exactly Mondale country).

I could never understand it. I left the RCC in 1992 (for theological, not political reasons), but I still deal with pro-life, traditional, patriotic family members who openly hate/mistrust Republicans for some reason.

mankai on July 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM

just a glimpse of how you get a people to walk willingly onto a train to an unknown destination.

bloghooligan on July 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Jews have a long history of engaging in self-destructive behavior. Jews didn’t get off the Communist bandwagon when Stalin allied himself with Hitler or when he began his anti-Semitic campaign after the Second World War. Despite what both non-Jewish Progressives and Stormfronters say America’s Jewish population would breathe a sigh of relief if Israel was destroyed. Ever since Menacham Begin got elected and Israel abandoned socialism American Jews couldn’t care less about Israel’s survival.

As an aside, I just finished a biography of Field Marshal Erich von Manstein. Despite the fact that he acknowledged that he was descended from a famous 18th Century rabbi named Lewinski his support for the Nazi regime remained unshaken throughout the war. While he could hardly be described as Jewish, you would expect he would at least not have cooperated with the SS in the murder of Russian Jews in his sector of operations. Today, the 75% of the Jews, or perhaps we should say people of Jewish ancestry, are no better than Manstein when it comes to supporting the world’s anti-Semites.

jerryofva on July 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM

This fits so many issues and is perfect for this thread.

Capt. Renault Award

Grantman on July 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM

American Jews: Schizophrenic, suicidal and stupid. Their fear of Christians and Conservatives leads them to rush headlong into the arms of those that would slaughter them.

Mass mindlessness.

PakviRoti on July 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Labor unions and Obamacare are more important than Israel.

ProfessorMiao on July 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM

SKYFOX on July 5, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Alas, I have many Catholic friends — I couldn’t possibly ask them to shoulder the guilt if I were to convert.

aunursa on July 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Reform Judaism (not Conservative or Orthodox) started in Germany in 1820-1840 with the desire to be “good Germans”. They spiritually separated themselves from Israel, conducted services in German,and dropped close adherence to Jewish law and commandments. Of course, the Nazis didn’t quite view them as “good Germans”, but by then, they had transplanted their Reform Judaism to the US and became leftwing Democrats. They are, if not good Germans, at least good libs. Reform Jews are indeed JINO.

steve007 on July 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Just like the Palestinians. As Ron White observes “you can’t fix stupid”.

GarandFan on July 5, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Steve007:

Wrong! German reformed Jews are generally Republicans or Joe Lieberman Democrats. The Jewish socialist cult comes from Eastern Europe where the socialists and communists were seen as a liberator from Czarist oppression. That Jews were leftwing in 1911 is undertandable. Jews who are left wing in 2011 are irrational.

jerryofva on July 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM

It would be interesting to see just how many of these people would still be supporting Obama if he said something like “You know, I think bringing Helen Thomas back to the WH Press Corps would be a great idea!”

pilamaye on July 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM

SouthernGent on July 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I’m not. But then again I didn’t vote for him in 08 either.

mizflame98 on July 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Secular aetheism is the new religion of far too many of them. It certainly isn’t the God of Abraham -when their new religion is directly opposed to His commandments.

Don L on July 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM

steve007 on July 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Not true. The Conservative Movement began in Germany in the mid-19th century. It was an offshoot of the Reform Movement, not of Torah observant Judaism.

Back then, the Conservative Movement was much closer to the Reform than it is today. The gradual changes over the last 160 years are mostly due to the fact that every now and then the movement’s “wise men” keep on realizing that people recognize a knockoff when they inspect it closely.

As for Reform, they just don’t care. As Jackie Mason once quipped: “I saw a reform temple that had a sign outside which said ‘Closed on Jewish Holidays’.”

Shy Guy on July 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I’m done trying to understand this phenomenon. This is like mice supporting cats. Or Gazelle’s supporting Lions. There will be a demarcation line that once crossed that door back will close. Let me ask you all a question? Why do we continue to support Jews at this perpetual level only to endure the endless kick to the gonads? Are we not tired of trying to explain to them that we would fight to the death on their behalf? As far as I’m concerned there is no difference between an American Jew and Rabid Progressive. This is a question that will never be answered in our lifetimes and quite frankly at this point I don’t give a damn. As long as the American Jew vote’s against this country’s best interests then they remain at minimum my opposition. To what degree is entirely up to them but I’ve burned my last calorie scratching my head on this anomaly. Another question here, if American Jews are a mere 3% why do they control 85% of our lives in banking, entertainment, news media, technology, telephone communications, you name it? Don’t like them, don’t support them, I no longer do and there are a lot that feel the same way.

Okay, a Progressive, a Democratic Jew and a Member of the BBP go into a bar and the Bar-Keep says…..……finish the story yourself.

Tangerinesong on July 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

pilamaye on July 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I bet the number of Obama supporters wouldn’t change if he did that. I suspect that some of their kids are on the Gaza flotilla as well.

mizflame98 on July 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

jerryofva on July 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Reform Judaism did come from Germany and adopted some Christian aspects to the worship format. My father’s family came from the Poland/Russian border area to escape the pogroms, and he is solidly conservative (fiscal only, sadly). It’s hard to pin down which Jewish groups are conservative.

pedestrian on July 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

SKYFOX on July 5, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, just what we dn’t need -a guilt free society, like the mmost evil despots ever.

No God=no sin=no guilt=social and personal disaster. Walk down the streets of any inner city at midnight if you want to see the consequence of such though – or try the disposal units behind an aboritorium.

Guilt is healthy when it makes you alter your bad behavior -when you only seek to justify bad behavior -then you must attack guilt, and the God who placed a consecience in your soul, and any that choose to follow Him.

Don L on July 5, 2011 at 11:32 AM

It seems that modern day liberal Jews are looking to the past and thus fear something that no longer has the appearance it once did, i.e. Nazis. Radical Islamism is still evil and anti-semitic at heart, but it doesn’t outwardly look the same (White European Christian Nazis vs. Brown Middle Eastern Radical Islamists), so they do not fear it as they should. It reminds me of movies and books about how the Jews during Hitler’s time just let themselves be rounded up without fighting back because they couldn’t believe it was really happening. They all say, Never Again, but they are letting it happen again if they do not defend Israel with every fiber of their being. Plus, I think they feel safe in America, so their guard is not up.

txmomof6 on July 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I’m a Zionist. I support the Israeli Jew. I believe that if Israel falls, our civilization perishes. The American progressive Jew can go pound sand for all I care.

mizflame98 on July 5, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The Jews have been lead down many paths of destruction for ages. They really missed the boat when they didn’t realize their Messiah had arrived and are still waiting for him.

If any American President (I use the term loosely for O’Vomit)has shown a distain for Israel, it’s now. He goes out of his way to alienate the only ally we have in the middle east.

The Jews clinging to a liberal agenda is an enigma for me. So are evangelical blacks who blindly support a party that has political platforms that are antithetical to Christian teachings.

iamsaved on July 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM

This makes it easier to understand how they wllfully entered the gas chambers like good little sheep.

Bevan on July 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Sorry, but any Jew that supports Obama just isn’t a very smart person. And I’ll just leave right there before I start getting into historical references.

OxyCon on July 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Next there will be a “surprise” poll that show that the overwhelming majority of Blacks still support Obama…

albill on July 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Tangerinesong on July 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Are you suggesting that Republican support for Israel should be contingent on American Jews’ support for Republicans?

I expect that a primary reason that Republicans (and pro-Israel Democrats) support Israel is that a strong Israel is in America’s best interests.

aunursa on July 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I am a Jew. I despise Obama and did not vote for him. Rush did say it best by pointing out that liberals are liberals first. Liberalism is the “religion” that ought to be discussed here, not Judaism. The dissection of Jews and Judaism on this thread, however, is a little bit gross and frankly, offensive, when it comes to invitations to conversion. That rhetoric just feeds the meme that the right wing is just as misojudaic as the left. And Jews who throw other Jews under the bus for political reasons just to look good on a conservative blog are just as self-hating as Jews who vote Democrat. Pharisees, Saducees, Friends of Rome…divide and conquer is divide and conquer whether it comes from the left or the right, and the results for the Jews are always the same.

moonbatattack on July 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

iamsaved on July 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Ahd Kahn!

Jesus was nobody’s messiah

The disciples died for a lie

iamsaved

No. You’re a schmuck.

Regards from Jerusalem, the eternal capital city of the Jewish Nation. We’re back.

Shy Guy on July 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Not surprising – these are Americans who are Jewish in the same way the Kennedy family is Roman Catholic. They were raised in the faith but apparently have minimal emotional ties to Israel. Like most liberals – they may think hanging onto the “home land concept” is not inclusive and modern. /s

katiejane on July 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM

rgranger on July 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM

And which state is tha? California? New York? Florida?

Really… what is “their state”, and how exactly will it be destroyed?

JohnGalt23 on July 5, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Yes, and even if we accept that the Republican Party are better “for” Israel than the Democratic Party – which many people do not – why should Americans Jews care more about Israeli politics than domestic American politics? They were born in America, they’re American, so why shouldn’t they vote based on what they’d prefer to see implemented in America i.e. Obamacare?

aengus on July 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Some people just don’t Get It.
What is it going to take for them to Get It?

TimBuk3 on July 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM

To paraphrase Costanza, this is A Poll About Nothing.

Del Dolemonte on July 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Their level of stupidity is only exceeded by their hopeless belief in Odumbo.

ultracon on July 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Who would fight to death on whose behalf? The American military protects American Jews just by virtue of protecting all Americans. However when the Israeli military goes to war, the American military does not fight alongside it.

Do you mean that individual Republican voters would fight to the death on behalf of Israel? Would Israel even allow large numbers of non-Jewish Americans to join the IDF?

aengus on July 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM

They are delusional. Until they hear Barack Obama literally throwing Israel to the wolves, they will not believe how much he hates Israel. The truth is staring them right in the face and they simply will not believe it.

Jews fancy themselves as intellectuals and compassionate altruists who care about the poor and oppressed. They also irrationally fear the Christian Right in America. Their support for Obama is not surprising if you understand this.

rockmom on July 5, 2011 at 12:01 PM

another reason NOT to go to Beck’s event …. stay home save your money… or better still just make the Middle East a giant pig farm… make it the Bar-B-Que Capital

charmingtail on July 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Useful.
Idiots.

watson007 on July 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

moonbatattack on July 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I agree.

darwin on July 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

aengus on July 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Garbage. See Kiryas Joel, NY and talk about “inclusion” – or any other largely Jewish-American area. KJ is its own entity within Rockland County – that has its own “rules and laws” to be followed, based on strict Hasidic Judaism customs; which usurp American Laws.

Sorry, have plenty of Jewish friends and lived in largely Jewish areas all my life and I cannot help but escape this reality: There is a reason why Jews have been loathed, by all cultures, religions and races – throughout time. And it isnt because they are downtrodden.

And while that piece last week about Jews being “god oriented and not state oreiented” gathered some steam – its a bogus premise and reality… for the majority of Jewish American led industries are heavily subsidized by fed/state/local gov entities

Now the final question you need to answer is this (aside from the statistically useless “jewish” data in Gallup) : How are 62-65% of American Jews in support of Obama? That outpaces Dems and liberals. So again, why is that???? (heres a a hint – look at the stock market appreciation/banks earnings reports and media ad revenue) Ding ding ding – the recession has largely helped Jewish oriented businesses due to their exclusion of others.

If you think an American Jew is interested in your culture, family and paycheck – I have a bridge to sell you. They dont care, nor are they inclusive concerning their religion, cultures, customs and industries. Many lessons are hard in life – this was an easy one to figure out, early on in life.

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Jackie Mason, a hard core conservative, once said that if Bill Clinton murdered someone on live network television, the American Jews would shrug, and say, “Meh. Nobody lives forever.”

I think you could substitute any leftist Dhimmicrat for Clinton, and it would still be true.

iurockhead on July 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Garbage.

Excuse me? I asked a question. I didn’t make a statement. Therefore saying “Garbage” is nonsensical.

Now the final question you need to answer is this

You haven’t asked me any questions up to this point, so how can this be the “final question”?

aengus on July 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

“Never Again!” my ass. The only real Jews are apparently in Israel. I’m done supporting American Jews if they continue their blind support of that anti-Semite Obama. If they don’t even care about their own in Israel, they’d NEVER have my Catholic back if I needed them. Long live Bibi, and Israel !

teacherman on July 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM

After he gets all they can donate he will offer them rebates on new ovens.

docflash on July 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM

aengus:

I highlighted the garbage part – within your statement and I asked a question in reference to your question, pretty sensical to me. A Jewish American is Jewish first (not pro Isreali first) and act accordingly’ hence the KJ call out, of which I doubt you had any idea existed.

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Using Kiryas Joel as an exemplar of Jewish attitudes is absurd. So is saying that the recession aided Jewish owned businesses. I challenge you to put up some credible evidence on that second point.

I am Jewish. I voted for McCain in 2008. I will vote for the Republican in 2012. And, I live in New York City. You can’t paint every Jew with the same brush. Some American Jews choose to vote for Obama. They are wrong. That doesn’t give license to label every Jew in America a mindless liberal drone.

jaschenb74 on July 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Since when has Obama’s words been followed with action? Poor things.

RDE2010 on July 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

The conservative views that I have I learned from my JEWISH parents! When I was a teenager I asked my father why he had no interest in making Aliyah(exercising the right of return to Israel). My dad gave me the darkest, most loathing look and all but screamed at me that we weren’t moving to Israel because we weren’t Israelis-we’re were AMERICANS!
My father’s first vote was for Goldwater-his last for GWB in 2000. My mother’s first vote was for Nixon in ’68-and she still despises everything the left represents.

Sod off you worthless piece of Jew-hating excrement.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’m losing respect for the Jews in this country, but I still support Israel, even if they and their buddy Obama do not.

disa on July 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM

jaschenb74 on July 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM

See I hit a nerve with Kiryas Joel in Rockland County, being its – you know – a religious enclave that has its own exclusive demographic, school system, tax system, etc and has existed for years. The idea of inclusion is laughable – as are the bungalow communities of Liberty, Monticello, etc.

And the fact you are a con Jew has nothing to do with this poll, or the majority of American Jews – but appreciate your attempt to both stick up for Judaism first (hmm, thought I mentioned that already) – then your ideological cred. I appreciate you making my point.

Sorry fella, but as a “gentile” who lived in the lower NY/NYC area for 30 years of his life – I will take my individual – and countless life examples of what I opine and experience.

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM

moonbatattack on July 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Obvious jokes are not so obvious, I guess, and some people don’t recognize humor because they are too busy being offended.

Extrafishy on July 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

The majority of Jews have been liberal since long before this last recession. I have no idea where you are getting your ideas, but they are wacked.

pedestrian on July 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Btw scumbag: My father worked for the State of Illinois and my mother was a beat reporter for a very local newspaper.
One year money was so tight that we had our gas turned of by the local gas company. we spent a cold Chicago winter with no heat and we had to boil water when we wanted to take baths and showers.
Yeah-we were just rolling in dough.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzz, akin to teachers excuses for poor performance.

Whenever a teacher issue comes up – every teacher comes out of the woodwork to state how invested they are, work 70 hours a week, pay $5000 out of their own pocketbook and settle for eating tuna – due to the low salary… while the net result is worse test scores and prepared students each year.

Sorry if you think I am a “Jew hating piece of excrement” – but celarly you and a few other Conservative Jews have more of a “Jewish” issue among your own – than with a loathing gentile like me… because clearly you asked your father that question because… you assumed that was what you do as an American Jew. Now, did you come to that assumption based on bottom feeding gentiles??? Or could it have been a good amount of Jewish friends traveled to Isreal and or temple retreats were expected of you due to American-Jewish norms?

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Yeah-we were just rolling in dough.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM

#1 – Watch your tone with me lttle boy, web or no web.

Now pay attention moron: Clearly you werent from a wealthy Jewish family – and loathe the assumption all Jews have money.. of which I did nothing of the sort. Clearly there is some sort of “accomplishment” resentment based on this theory – that all Jews are rich… sorry that didnt work out for you, though the cold night in Chicago has a nice ring to it… ye I have a funny feeling the temple you were a part of (if any) wasnt in the “high rent district” – which caused some shame.

So again – you are opining based on your religion first, (assumption all Jews are rich) then your anti-Isreali Jewish cred, through the lens of a conservative.

Nice.

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I’m Jewish, and Jewish support for Democrats has always been an embarrassing point for me. I guess my parents were one of the few conservative Jewish households when I grew up in the 60′s and 70′s, and that helped me to inform my current opinions.

asc85 on July 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Trying not to be thin-skinned, but people are making some pretty ugly comments here about Jews in general. I am both very Jewish and very conservative, and while I am not pleased that so many of my American “brethen” have replaced the Torah with this crazed and shallow pseudo-liberalism, I am also taken aback at the casual dismissal of Jews and the stupid and ill-informed discussion of our beliefs and characteristics I see in some comments here today. It feels like the HuffPo or something.

There are plenty of Jews, even in America, who are doing their best to get better leadership – not just in the sense of leaders who do not hate Israel and love Arabs, but leaders who will lead in accordance with decent conservative American values.

Believe me, I understand the frustration – but not the broadly-brushed contempt.

Wow.

MogenDavid on July 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Oy Vey.

LODGE4 on July 5, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Try using facts, Bevan. Nobody went to their deaths wilfully. They were surrounded by machine-gun toting Nazis, saw their friends and family murdered in front of them, and surrounded by fences and soldiers. The myth that Jews went to their deaths like sheep is just that–a myth. There were many Jewish resistance movements throughout Europe.

What you are all missing here is what Ed Morrisey pointed out: Jews tend to vote Democrat because they are liberals. In spite of what people believe, most people are not one-issue voters. I don’t vote for a candidate because of his views on Israel. I vote for a candidate whose views match mine most closely. In the past, that was the Democratic candidate. Since 9/11, I have voted for Republicans. But that doesn’t mean I’ll never vote for a Democrat again.

Stop thinking that Israel is the only thing that matters to American Jews, and you’ll understand why they still support Obama.

As for the blatant anti-Semitism in some of the comments here: Eff the people writing it, and you know who you are.

Meryl Yourish on July 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I’m a woman-and what I said stands.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 1:18 PM

MogenDavid on July 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I was raised Jewish but I attend church now. From time to time I hear an inaccurate portrayal of Judaism there, presumably because a lot of Christians get very limited exposure actual Judaism. I’ve usually been satisfied that people’s opinions can be quickly and easily corrected when I talk to them. Forums such as this seem to be a good way to help that process. Nevertheless there are sometimes going to be a few cranks that refuse to change their opinions.

pedestrian on July 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Meryl Yourish on July 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM

That’s why I called Odie out.
My parents were/are nothing like the Jews he described…nor are you.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Meryl Yourish on July 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Agree 100. This isn’t what I have come to expect here. Usually I really enjoy reading the different views that people express here; today it feels … disgusting. I could get this crap from any jackass over at HuffPo.

Moderator?

MogenDavid on July 5, 2011 at 1:23 PM

pedestrian on July 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I’ve encountered very few anti-Jewish attitudes in the Roman Catholic Church. My mother was quite happy when I left evangelical protestantism for the Church because of its much more pro-Jewish slant. I’m referring to the rank and file-not the azzes that run the USCCB.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM

MogenDavid on July 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM

What “ugly comments” are you referring to? You arent painting those comments with a “broad stroke about those non Jews who comment on Jews?” are you???

Of course you are.

Have I said I hate, despise, punch random Jewish people in the face??? Ah no – I opined based on my life experience concerning where an American Jew’s loyalty rests and the notion of “inclusion” across the American board – which is just not true.

But the reaction of resident HA Jews… is in line with my opinions, based on said experience – including my initial comment about why cultures, for a few thousand years – have an issue with Jews… its the lack of full inclusion and assimilation, while maintaining their autonomy that creates problems.

I also dont believe the Amish are an inclusive bunch, but their autonomy is in fact – autonomous whereas they intereact with non Amish – on a limited basis, while not trying to reap non Amish rewards. Also dont have a problem with the Amish – seem like a nice bunch who are strict to their religion, while not posturing for political or financial gain.

Odie1941 on July 5, 2011 at 1:27 PM