Another T-Paw ad in Iowa

posted at 9:15 am on July 5, 2011 by Tina Korbe

GOP presidential hopeful and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty today launched a second campaign ad in Iowa, a primary state he’s still fighting furiously to win. In light of T-Paw’s consistently lackluster performance in the polls and a dejecting fundraising quarter, the ad assumes increased significance. If it energizes voters the slightest bit, it might help Pawlenty to build the momentum he right now so conspicuously lacks.

The ad is well-executed, but, after watching it a couple times, I can’t help but question the wisdom of emphasizing a union strike and a government shutdown as evidence of accomplishments. The ad provides little context with which to understand why, exactly, these events should be seen as “wins” for Pawlenty. Instead, it seems to rely on an innate conservative interpretation of union protests and a halt to government as somewhat unpleasant, but ultimately acceptable, consequences of impressive, committed, conservative policy-making. I’d rather hear about the conservative policy-making — the actual accomplishments.

Admittedly, the evocation of recent strong leadership — as seen in Republican Gov. Scott Walker, for example — initially worked its number on me. At first, I found Pawlenty’s ad appealing (the background music and narrator’s voice, especially!). But, if Walker were ever to run for president, I’d hope his campaign ad would tout that he “balanced the budget in the face of union protests” — not just the union protests. Pawlenty should have done the same.

It seems like a stretch to think an alliteratively masterful slogan like, “Results, not rhetoric,” and a cinematically attractive ad like this one will communicate — or achieve — real results. Actually, seems like just more rhetoric to me.

Comments

Will the troops get paid if there is a shut down?

Yes, I keep asking this, but everyone who is clamoring for a shutdown needs to think about this…

ladyingray on July 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Yawwwwwn! next…

cartooner on July 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Will the troops get paid if there is a shut down?

ladyingray on July 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM

What troops? National Guard?

darwin on July 5, 2011 at 9:24 AM

My gosh, he’s a real firecracker! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

search4truth on July 5, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Bottom line: I’d vote for TPaw in a heartbeat over Obama. He really does need to do something to shine a light on himself though.

darwin on July 5, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Agree Tina, first time around sounds good, but don’t know if this will lift him up

cmsinaz on July 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Pawlenty exudes all the intense excitement of a fizzled out sparkler stuck in the top of a dried 3-day old cupcake.

pilamaye on July 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Tim Pawlenty: The manufactured candidate

flyfisher on July 5, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Stupid!

huckleberryfriend on July 5, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I don’t think T-Paw is capable of being what conservative voters want. If you notice, all of the insurgent/non-establishment candidates, and those being courted to run, have something in common – they get as close to verbal street brawling as possible for a candidate. They tell it like it is, defend it, and give the equivalent of a ‘kiss my ass’ to the MSM. This is part of Palin’s appeal – and Bachmann’s – and Cain’s – and Christie’s.

T-Paw had his chance in the first debate the show he was capable of this – and he came off like a punk. Then it took 2-3 days later to him to admit that maybe he should have gone after Romney – in Romney’s presence.

T-Paw reminds me of today’s internet punks. All the talk in the world online – completely clueless and wimpy in real life.

And while I wouldn’t NOT vote for T-Paw if he were the nominee, I’d just roll my eyes while doing it.

bloghooligan on July 5, 2011 at 9:42 AM

We might just have the permanent situation where the best officeholder (not necessarily Pawlenty) can’t make the sale, and the best salesman/saleswoman can win, but can’t easily handle the job. How’s the current best salesman doing? It all hinges on the Public’s lack of understanding. They obviously thought the presidency was all about making comforting speeches.

RBMN on July 5, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I am also confused by this ad. How exactly does causing a government shutdown = accomplishment for MN? There is literally no context. If I were T-Paw or to many his name is T-Yawn, I would play the religious card and give specifics about pieces of legislation he supported and conceived.

Frank T.J Mackey on July 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Palin raised more than Pawlenty in the 2nd Quarter…and she’s not even running…yet.

kingsjester on July 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM

This ad would make me not want to vote for him if I were a “swing” voter. I can’t believe he and his staff thought putting out an ad where he looks as much like a dilettante as Obama was a good idea.

citrus on July 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM

T-Paw should have just ran as Romney without the baggage (i.e ObamneyCare and for some being a Mormon) and pitched his tent in New Hampshire. Now he is going to get embarrassed in Ames and struggle to raise funds from here on out. A shame, because I would vote for T-Paw over Romney (speaking of head to head polls) and frankly T-Paw over Huntsman. His game should be to run as a moderate and take on the more damaged moderates in Romney and Huntsman in New Hampshire.

milemarker2020 on July 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM

You know, I have to take this back. I don’t consider T-Paw a ‘punk’ – punk implies some sort of malilce. And I don’t think T-Paw has that bone in his body. I think more accurately, I mean nerd.

T-Paw is the Butters Stotch of this race. His on-line and in interviews Professor Chaos persona has failed to impress.

bloghooligan on July 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Frank T.J Mackey on July 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I’m with you on this. How is a state government shutdown or a paralyzing strike in a Minnesota winter a “win” for Pawlenty? In order to win over independent voters on these issues, Pawlenty needs to explain the BENEFITS to the voters and taxpayers of what he did, as Scott Walker did in Wisconsin.

Pawlenty to Iowa voters: “I won.”

Didn’t we already hear than from Mr. mmm mmm mmm?

Steve Z on July 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

No, what we need today is someone to stand up to what’s going on — the accumulating debt. It’s killing us, if it hasn’t killed us already. And I suspect the T-Paw people KNOW this is what people want, because they sense this is what the country needs.

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Steve Z on July 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Exactly Steve. I won. Sounds self-centered in conception. If I were T-Paw, I would run two different ads in Iowa:

1. Focusing on his religious experience as a Christian and his moral character. He doesn’t need to attack anybody or say what he did right in Minnesota. Just tell explain how his christian morals relates to his personal and political life.

2. Just explain to people his legislative accomplishments and bipartisan nature. What did he do to reform education? What did he do to save the taxpayer’s money? What did do in terms of criminal justice? What did he do in terms of protecting cultural issues?

Frank T.J Mackey on July 5, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Guys, stop thinking about winning independent voters in the general election! This ad is aimed squarely at more conservative Republican caucus goers in Iowa. It picks up on current events in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and New Jersey which have galvanized conservatives. It shows he has faced off against the biggest Democratic special interest groups and won, which Mitt Romney didn’t as Governor of Mass. The “results, not rhetoric” line is aimed at Michele Bachmann.

I’m sure this will be followed by ads with more specifics about Pawlenty’s accomplishments. You can’t cram all of an 8-year record into one 30-second ad.

rockmom on July 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM

citrus on July 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM

There aren’t swing voters in the GOP caucuses.

rockmom on July 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Swing voter?

Christ… Tpaw is just looking to crack double digits right now… Tpaw was number 2 or 3 on a lot of people’s list until Bachmann became credible, now his campaign is at risk of being stillborn…

phreshone on July 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM