Happy Independence Day

posted at 8:00 am on July 4, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

How will you celebrate our nation’s independence? We have a rather traditional day laid out for ourselves. We’ll start the day out with our city parade and a brunch with our extended Minnesota family. Later, I’ll do some grilling, and late in the evening, we will join friends to watch fireworks in St. Paul. In between, the First Mate and I will continue watching the miniseries John Adams, starring Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney as John and Abigail Adams. The story stretches from the Boston Massacre to Adams’ death on July 4, 1826, and presents a brilliant warts-and-all look at the man known as the Colossus of Independence in his day. The series includes this dramatization of the approval and publication of the Declaration of Independence, a stirring recitation:

My wife and I have spent the last few summers watching documentaries and dramatic recountings of the American Revolution period. Last year, we discovered The Founding of America, a collection of History Channel presentations that are worth so much more than the modest sale price of the set.  I reviewed it last year, and the price has dropped considerably since then, which makes it a steal.  But if you can’t get your hands on either for today, the History International channel will play the miniseries The Revolution all day, which is one of the programs included in the set, and a fine way to get into the spirit.

However you celebrate our independence, have a happy and safe day with family and friends, and take a moment to remember the men who risked all for our freedom and liberty.

Update: HBO is showing John Adams today, apparently all of the episodes.

Comments

Glad to have you here in the Lone Star State, twerp! Where’d you end up settling?

TeresainFortWorth on July 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM

yum, grilled eggplant…

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

yum, grilled eggplant…

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Yer welcome to join us darlin’

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

TeresainFortWorth on July 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Dust City-aka Lubbock.
Fire works have been banned because of the drought but that’s no biggie.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Bless your heart! Lubbock is almost as bad as where I grew up, Amarillo. We are under a ban here in S TX also because of the drought. They did have fireworks over the bay where they could land in the water though.
L

letget on July 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Do you have a TX accent yet?

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Do you have a TX accent yet?

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I’m getting fairly good @ faking one. LoL
Actually, I want to keep my Chicagoan accent-just because I like being a contrarian. *grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM

d1carter on July 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM

letget on July 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Thank you, HA and TEMS are my little home away from home.

d1carter, I get a lump in my throat whenever I hear that song.

Thank you to our armed services for making this country free and defending our honored freedom.

pabo on July 4, 2011 at 12:27 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I’m north of Houston, and I don’t know a county around that isn’t on a burn ban, or hasn’t banned fireworks. :(

But, I still want to wish everyone a safe and happy Independence Day!!! What they fought for in the Revolution is STILL worth keeping, and striving for today.

capejasmine on July 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I was a LEGAL immigrant who came to this country as an infant with parents who were looking for a better life in the Land of Opportunity. So I was raised in the US and applied for citizenship as soon as I was old enough. One of the proudest moments in my life was taking the Oath of Allegiance to the USA! I registered as a Republican immediately afterwards. hehehe

Yesterday in church our procession included the flag with the children following behind waving little flags. We then began our service with the Pledge of Allegance, included a special prayer for our nation and ended the service with God Bless America.

Today we are grilling chicken, having a couple friends over, watching patriotic movies and shooting off some fireworks, ’cause our area of Florida has been nice and wet lately.

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM

bbq chicken, southern potato salad, corn on the cob, baked beans and homemade chocolate cupcakes w/ chocolate frosting and red, white and blue sprinkles for dessert.

Lastly, as so many have already stated, we’re the Land of the Free because of the Brave! Our deepest gratitude to those who serve in the military and to the families who support them!!

Kirin on July 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

theblacksheepwasright on July 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Head up to Boston and follow the Freedom Trail. Then travel the short distance to Lexington and Concord. Your experiences will be enhanced by this trip.

Several years ago, I traveled to Belgium and Holland on an art history trip. Our tour leader was celebrating a birthday on the evening of our farewell dinner. His wife joined us, carrying a decorated cake with lit sparklers. What a festive way to celebrate our own nation’s birthday, wouldn’t you say?

onlineanalyst on July 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Kirin on July 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Well said Kirin. May you have all the success our country can offer!

itsspideyman on July 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Well, you kin try all ya want, but ain’t gonn’ do no good. It’ll seep into ya, drip by drip. ;-)

Welcome, and Happy Fourth! Oh, and say hello to Peggy Sue for me.

TXUS on July 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM

onlineanalyst on July 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Yes..quite festive and thanks for the suggestion. My wife and I plan on hitting the east coast (we are in sociailist republic of Calif.)sometime in October. Never seen New England in the fall..

God Bless America

theblacksheepwasright on July 4, 2011 at 1:45 PM

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

be right over :)

have a wonderful day!!

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM

“How will you celebrate our nation’s independence?”

On va-ca in Montana with little 7% at my brother’s house, a retired Navy SEAL, with a house filled with family and friennds…

… Food, Fun, Fireworks, & Firearms along with a boat and Flat Head Lake!!!

Throw in a couple adult beverages and the nightly bonfire/BBQ combo and you start talking about a good time…

… Happy 4th of July everybody!

God Bless America…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on July 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Happy 4th of July all.

xplodeit on July 4, 2011 at 3:16 PM

A couple of days ago they posted a story about atheists flying banners that “Atheism is patriotic.” Yet if you survey the major atheists blogs today, not of them are celebrating today.

pearson on July 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Today is my birthday, too. Imagine my disappointment as a kid when I finally learned all those fireworks were not for me!

In my work to convince the grassroots to get inside the GOP and govern it more firmly toward our values, I’ve gotten to know quite a few GOP muckety-mucks (since I vote for or against them being in office) so tonight I’m going to the home of one of CA’s RNC National Committeemen for BBQ and fireworks.

I’ll be a good guest, but you can bet he’s going to get an earful from me…

ElRonaldo on July 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM

ElRonaldo on July 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Happy Birthday!

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Up here in northern MN, we finally are having some summer weather.

Mirimichi on July 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I don’t see the Federal government shutting down whole state governments, ports, or other coercive actions against the populace. If anything, whole parts of the country depend on pork-barrel projects to keep at least some high-paying jobs in the area.

KillerKane on July 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM

What about the TSA’s recent threat to shut down all airports in Texas if Texas passed it’s anti-groping bill? Oh, and most everything the TSA does seems fairly coercive to me. Think not, then just try to resist.

The fed takes income tax, social security, and medicare taxes from me before I even see the money. And currently you can’t get SS without also taking medicare, which then limits your ability to pay for your ownhealth care. Not that your Life is very important to you.

AnotherOpinion on July 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM

My favorite holiday.
I love my country. The flag will be upon my tombstone.
Maybe not all of my countrymen, but today we should all be united in love for our country.
Those who cannot love this day, who are Americans, sohuld be ashamed & disgusted with yourselves.
Bcs without this country, I can only imagine the horrors that would have been perpetrated upon the world by now.
Last night we celebrated the 4th at the lake here in SW ND with family & friends & strangers packed like sardines along the shoreline. We loudly & proudly recited the Pledge of Allegiance, as well as sang all the American songs we could muster as the fireworks exploded all around us.
I swear it was like war, all of those fireworks going off all night, all over around the lake, several miles away & closer.
It was electrifying.
Happy 4th again all.
This day is why we are here & free.
Thank God for those men (& women) in 1776.

Badger40 on July 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Happy Independance Day America,and I Thank-You
For Your Freedom and Sacrifice!

To all Americans,from Canada,Happy Fourth of July!

canopfor on July 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

To all Americans,from Canada,Happy Fourth of July!

canopfor on July 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Thanks, buddy. Today you also, are one of us! We love you, brother…

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Happy 4th to you canopfor!
You are more American than many Americans.

Badger40 on July 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Thanks, buddy. Today you also, are one of us! We love you, brother…

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Damn Skippy!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM

2nd that :)

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM

The Capitol 4th on PBS tonight was a delightful surprise. The main sponsor was Boeing – as in “Boeing Aircraft Co which is on the Obama/DOJ s**tlist”. There truly seemed to be an exceptionally profound theme of confirmation of God’s blessings on our nation, and the crowd of 1,000s really soared with it. It seemed to be a roundhouse to the administration: get it through your commie heads – WE THE PEOPLE LOVE OUR COUNTRY!

What a joyful event! God bless the USA, and God bless Boeing!

GGMac on July 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM

GGMac on July 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM

watching it right now….who knew steve martin played the banjo? darn good playin

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM

canopfor on July 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM
Thanks, buddy. Today you also, are one of us! We love you, brother…

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Happy 4th to you canopfor!
You are more American than many Americans.

Badger40 on July 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks, buddy. Today you also, are one of us! We love you, brother…

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Damn Skippy!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM
2nd that :)

cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OmahaConservative on July 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Badger40 on July 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM
annoyinglittletwerp on July 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM
cmsinaz on July 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM
======================================

Guys/Gals,that is such an honour,and I am so..so..honoured,
it means alot to me,thank-you,and now,I,have tears:)

Btw,Soo Michigans FireWorks were awesome as usual,lots
of thumpers,air-lauched artillery,best described it!

I’ll keep a look out,to see if any video was posted—-:)

canopfor on July 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM

A brief Independence Day snapshot:

We’re attending church at our mother’s nursing home for the time being; most of the residents are elderly women, although there are a few men, too. Many of the residents, including those men, have difficulty participating in the service, and some are slumped over in their wheelchairs much of the time.

On Sunday, we sang several patriotic songs as well as regular hymns. When we started singing, “Oh beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain,” men who usually are slumped over started singing and tried to straighten up. The women did, too, but the men seemed noticeably affected. It was a very touching sight.

KyMouse on July 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM