Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on July 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

“I used to work at a Wall St. investment bank. There were diversity programs galore but it was still problematic to find a senior woman to promote to Managing Director in Information Technology. I used to discuss this often with my boss, himself an MD. He finally suggested just promoting a particular (and the most senior) woman in the group to managing director. His argument was ‘self selection’. People tend to like and promote people who are similar to themselves. I get that and I agree. But this woman was not good. If there were five options in any given situation, not only would she not pick the best one, she would almost always pick the worst one. So my worry was that the first woman MD would ‘represent’. She would be the standard bearer. She would have to do a good job, on behalf of her entire gender. If she sucked, the reaction would be ‘See. Women can’t be managing directors’. If a guy in that role sucked, it would just be ‘Gee, John is an idiot’ and not ‘Men are idiots’.

“Barack Obama carries that burden for African Americans. Happily, he carries it well. Regardless of your politics, you have to admit (really, you have to!) that he is well-educated, competent, rational, even-tempered and intelligent.

“So, even if my political views weren’t the polar opposite of Palin’s and Bachmann’s (which they are), I would still say ‘not Palin, not Bachmann’. As women, this is a risk we cannot afford to take.”

***
“This apparent contradiction — how you can be leader of the free world and yet subordinate to some guy — has proved no less confusing to the nation’s conservative evangelicals. For them, the justification for a Bachmann presidential run lies in a very careful, some would say tortured, theological interpretation that emerged during Sarah Palin’s vice-presidential candidacy in 2008.

“The solution to the ‘Palin Predicament,’ as it’s been called, is laid out on the website of the influential Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. The council, which was established in 1987 to fight ‘the growing movement of feminist egalitarianism,’ espouses something called complementarianism—the idea that while men and women are equal they nevertheless must play different (read: unequal) parts. Men are destined to occupy leadership roles at home and at church, while women are obliged to ‘grow in willing, joyful submission to their husbands’ leadership.’ But the civic sphere is distinct from home and church and governed by different rules, these evangelicals reasoned, and if the Bible didn’t explicitly ‘prohibit [women] from exercising leadership in secular political fields,’ neither would they…

“Bachmann’s description of herself as ‘pro-woman and pro-man’ suggests a contentment with the status quo, as far as gender goes. Indeed, it may imply something more—that as a woman who defers to her husband, she believes herself to be more liberated than secular feminists are. According to Karen Seat, a religious studies professor at the University of Arizona, some conservative evangelicals argue that women’s deference is itself empowering, because it’s what God intends, and because it is the fullest expression of womanhood. In this world of opposites, submission is strength and inequity is proof of equality. It’s quite possible that a President Bachmann would primarily define herself not as the first female president of the United States, but as a wife and mother. And she would not see that as anything less than progress.”

***
“Both ‘evangelical’ and ‘feminist’ are loaded terms that when placed in close proximity to one another spark strong reactions all around. I suspect this is why the media has latched onto this phrase with such enthusiasm, even though it is essentially meaningless. As a Democrat, an evangelical, and a strong supporter of women’s equality, I can’t bring myself to call Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin ‘evangelical feminists.’ But if their ambitions force the evangelical community to confront the mixed messages being sent to young women in churches across this country, then I think their presence in this election is a good thing.

“…Maybe not for the country, but for that little girl sitting in the front row at Sunday school who secretly wants to be president.”

***

***
Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Do you NBPers really know what went on in Alaska after Miss “I’m Now a National Star” returned to her home state after losing the 2008 election? She didn’t quit as governor because ethics commplaints–many of which were not frivolous–were bankrupting the family. She quit because she was facing open revolt within her own party and because she was tired of the job. She had bigger fish to fry, and she wasn’t going to let the chance to become a rich celebrity pass her by.

Do you really think none of this will come out if she runs? There is a real documentary–not a propaganda film–coming out that exposes all of it. She’s toast.

So you might as well warm up to Michele. She’s the smart man’s Sarah Palin, you know.

Meredith on July 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM

LINK

Oh no. Inquiring archeologists want to know.

There is some new dirt that needs sifting and the media missed it?

Meredith admitted the other day that she was reading Frank Bailey’s book.

Can’t wait to hear about these new revelations that will sink Palin and make her a relic of the past. And yet she has become the second most admired Woman in the USA and whose decision to run (or not) has been universally perceived as pivotal to the very balance of power and time-course of events as they unfold in campaigns on both sides of the aisle.

What a shame these de novo discoveries didn’t come out sooner in 2010. The Donks could have saved themselves that epic spanking that Palin gave them in the mid terms.

Geochelone on July 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM

archeologists archaeologists

Geochelone on July 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM

499

txmomof6 on July 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM

500

txmomof6 on July 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

As a Democrat, an evangelical, and

…therefore MPD (multiple personality disorder)…

itsnotaboutme on July 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM

txmomof6 on July 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM

txmomof6 on July 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Careful. Allah & Ed have banned posters for posting stuff like ‘first’, etc…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM

whatever. i point out a photographic fact and you scoff. typical.

unseen on July 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Photographic “fact,” huh? That fact is that Sarah Palin intentionally is trying NOT to look like Michelle Bachmann by wearing her hair up. I mean, how can I not scoff? Let me guess, Sarah Palin’s hair sends out secret signals to you telling you she’s going to run.

Your obsession with me has just made you creepboy. Congratulations, you clearly have lost your mind.

csdeven on July 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Oh, please. You like the attention. You just wish Sar-bear would give you a little. Maybe you and unseen could make an unholy alliance and drive up to Wasilla for the long weekend.

Now you’ve done it.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Heh. I know. Now he’s going to go on and on about “personal attacks.” The guy either is extremely deceptive or flat out crazy – should I be concerned about the later?

MeatHeadinCA on July 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Dire Straits was here..:)

d

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Some people say csdeven is a chick.

darwin on July 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Some people say csdeven is a chick.

darwin on July 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Petunia?

MeatHeadinCA on July 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Happy July the Fourth to you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Petunia?

MeatHeadinCA on July 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Lol. I don’t think so..I have actually seen csdeven offer high praise of Palin in the odd post or two. If Petunia did that I think it would cause a rift in the time space continuum.

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Happy July the Fourth to you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Happy July the Fourth to you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Happy 4th Dire. I’m sorry if you have felt you had to lurk more than comment lately. I know we can sometimes be a spirited bunch but don’t forget most of us here agree on most issues.

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

It is all good!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Not when it comes to the Bachmann/Palin wars…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Happy July the Fourth to you OC..:)

PS..What is the lastest news on the flooding situation in Omaha?..

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 7:49 PM

What will all the Palin supporters do if she declines to run???

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I can’t speak for all of them, but I will vote for someone else (in the primaries).

gryphon202 on July 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I would say the vast majority of it is bluster. Like Gryphon, I don’t want to speak for other Palin supporters but I like both women and I think most do, but not equally. If Palin doesn’t run, Ill support Perry, Pawlenty, or Bachmann in that order.

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Bad. Now we are told to drive drive 150 miles east on the I-80 to Des Moines to take the I-35 south to Kansas City when KC is 188 miles due south on the I-29.
I am done filling sandbags, I am 56, a smoker and tired…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Not when it comes to the Bachmann/Palin wars…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I didn’t realize I was fighting a war. Thanks for telling me, OC./

gryphon202 on July 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I am done filling sandbags, I am 56, a smoker and tired…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Ugh…sounds nasty. And I have family down that way, too. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Sad to hear that OC..I saw some footage of TXmomof3 hometown and it is a lake..Hang in there..Prayers for you and all affected by this flooding..

PS..Hat Tip to you for filling sandbags..You are a great American!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM

You are a great American!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM

No, I am a neighbor.

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM

No, I am a neighbor.

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM
We should all be so lucky to have such neighbors!

txmomof6 on July 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Meredith on July 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Do you believe your own comments?…

Gohawgs on July 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM

No, I am a neighbor.

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM
We should all be so lucky to have such neighbors!

txmomof6 on July 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Hear!..Hear!.. I agree 100% ..We all need neighbors like OC!..:):)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Please quit with accolades. It was just how mom, gramps and dad and the village do things.
While gramma baked bread and banana bread to feed the neighbors. Nothing extraordinary here.

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 9:02 PM

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I understand..Let’s have a *cyber beer*!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM

r u kidding dude? I am having a real and wet beer?
;)

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 9:08 PM

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 9:08 PM

LOL!.. I am drinking a beer myself..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM

This has been a fun and interesting thread. I have to work at 4 AM.

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM

This has been a fun and interesting thread. I have to work at 4 AM.

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Great to see you OC!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Kataklysmic on July 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I’m sure it pains him… but then again, AnninCA was a supposed fan of Palins… hmmmm, where is she these days?

MeatHeadinCA on July 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM

, I am 56, a smoker and tired…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I have a smoking room on that cruise ship to Alaska and plenty of hot tubs to sooth your aching muscles…..

Knucklehead on July 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Meredith on July 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM

this could mean an “Oscar”

Sonosam on July 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Perhaps if the quest had been for the best candidate, not the best woman, it would not have been so quixotic.

unclesmrgol on July 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Can’t tell if she’s trolling, or really this stupid.

Maybe she’s just trying to get 1000 comments on one of her posts?

gekkobear on July 4, 2011 at 6:13 AM