Marchers protest Georgia immigration law

posted at 7:30 pm on July 2, 2011 by Tina Korbe

This Independence Day weekend, a different kind of parade made its way through the streets of Atlanta. Thousands of marchers stormed the Georgia state capitol to protest a recently passed immigration law that, among other things, makes it a felony to use false information or documentation when applying for a job.

Thousands of marchers stormed the Georgia Capitol on Saturday to protest the state’s new immigration law, which they say creates an unwelcome environment for people of color and those in search of a better life.

Men, women and children of all ages converged on downtown Atlanta for the march and rally, cheering speakers while shading themselves with umbrellas and posters. Capitol police and organizers estimated the crowd at between 8,000 and 14,000. They filled the blocks around the Capitol, holding signs decrying House Bill 87 and reading “Immigration Reform Now!” …

Adelina Nicholls, executive director of the Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, said the crowd was sending a message.

“They are ready to fight,” Nicholls said. “We need immigration reform, and no HB87 is going to stop us. We have earned the right to be here.”

Without doubt, the nation needs immigration reform — but Nicholls’ perspective comes across as incredibly short-sighted. She seems to imply all that’s required to “earn the right to be here” is … to be here. But part of what it means to live in the United States is to respect the rule of law.

Georgia’s new law doesn’t even really do anything new: It just reinforces the state’s ability to enforce federal law. And at the moment, the law does even less than that. A judge Monday blocked several of the law’s key provisions, including one to authorize police to check the immigration status of suspects without proper identification and another to penalize people who knowingly and willingly transport or harbor illegal immigrants while committing another crime.

Today’s march followed a different kind of demonstration yesterday. Opponents of the new Georgia law organized “a day without immigrants,” during which some businesses closed and some community members refused to work or shop to protest the law.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

No – technically deporting 10 million is equally undo-able.

I just don’t have an answer here other than to do the best you can.

Contrary to Rightwinglunatic’s charges – I’m not an “amnesty” guy and I don’t believe in open borders. I am a pragmatist – but at the end of the day all you can do is show due diligence – try to make some productive, turn them into citizens – and the ones that refuse to play ball … well, what other choice do we have but to deport them.

I mean – I have a compromising position here – I’m willing to allow a path to citizenship because, unlike many who are closet racists on this issue – I don’t fear these people or their politics – and I know we can make a lot of them Conservatives because I believe in Conservatism and it’s rightness.

But at some point – after you’ve done everything you can do – you have to deport if they won’t play ball.

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I’ve read the entire thread and I understand clearly that your position is secure the border first then deal with a path to citizenship, because it’s insane to think we can deport 20 million illegal aliens.

As for Rightwingyahoo, I agree with him on some points and disagree with him on others. But I have to agree with him that you are an “amnesty guy.” I’ve read nothing you’ve posted that pins you as an “open borders” guy. But amnesty guy? Geez, Honda, call me a lame but by definition you’re an amnesty guy.

What is amnesty if not compromising with illegal aliens by setting up a structured path to citizenship once all immigration reform requirements are met?

As for an answer I would suggest, if it’s equally technically undoable to deport 10 million as it is 20 million, that we get on the due diligence road right now– by simultaneously putting massive resources towards securing the border while at the same time getting the buses rolling and planes flying.

Why put off due diligence until we’ve secured the border? What’s wrong with multi-tasking on this problem?

Gang-of-One on July 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

But Reagan – the man who actually signed an amnesty bill is okay? He’s not a traitor.

Yeah – your lucidity is questionable mate!

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Im not your “mate”, got that? I’m not fighting alongside you. Got that?

You are a seriously lying obfuscating yellow RINO coward, arent you?

Give it up with Reagan, I’ve won that one already, and I’ve won the race card debate too.

I’ve won the “equality before the law” part, and I’m winning on the US Mil thinking it’s above the law, too.

A concept you sound like you’re VERY familiar with.

So you’re on the short end of this once again, traitor RINO.

Good night, and please, get cracking flipping TX and FL for your REAL pals.

They need you a lot more than we do.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Look how the US mil likes to exempt itself from the laws we all must follow.

I’m starting to think there is a serious problem here.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM

The military can’t “exempt” itself from laws – this is how ridiculously little you know about our laws – and our constitution.

Congress passes laws – the military follows those laws. They are not allowed to pick and choose what laws they follow.

Now – if Congress passes a law to allow military members who aren’t citizens to become citizens – then it’s perfectly legal and WITHIN THE LAW for the military to do that.

And, by the way – most nations allow an exception for military service. French Foreign legion provided an perfect path for foreigners to gain French citizenship.

And I’ll tell you – if the son of an illegal alien will storm a taliban trench for me and my family – and kill those bastards at the risk of being shot – I’ll gladly help that kid become a citizen.

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Gang-of-One on July 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Nothing of course. Just not the way he wants to frame it, because he HAS TO go to bat for amnesty for millions of new Democrats.

It’s his mission in life. Hence the Ben Arnold tag.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Give it up with Reagan, I’ve won that one already …

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Don’t think so mate.

Reagan signed an Amnesty bill and he offered citizenship to everyone here without closing the borders.

I want to give a path to citizenship ONLY AFTER the borders are sealed.

So …

Point one – my opinion is just an opinion – and not even 1/millionth as damaging as Ronald Reagan’s signature was on that amnesty bill.

Point two – you’re a stupid individual to label me a “traitor” for simply disagreeing with you – while giving a pass to Reagan – who not only disagreed with you – but also gave an immediate path to citizenship to illegals.

You did not win that mate … try harder – I’d offer you a shovel but you’re digging a hole just fine using your keyboard alone.

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I can’t wait for our boys to come home from Afghanistan. Maybe then they can turn their sites onto DC. And I mean sites.

Coronagold on July 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Gang-of-One on July 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Let’s do it – if we can do it without producing the imagery of the German deportations and the Indian Partition. My major objections to mass deportation stems from the very REAL FACT that Americans will get turned off to Conservatism and the Republican party if they start seeing too many stupid deportations on their TV sets.

It’s very easy to win a battle and lose a war on this issue. I’m not for amnesty – but some compromise is in order to prevent Americans from reacting to the negative imagery of kids being grabbed out of their elementary school desks by uniformed government agents and carried off for deportation.

Personally – I’D LOVE TO DEPORT ALL 20 MILLIONS of them. My stomach can take it – but my neighbor’s can’t. And most of my neighbors can’t – which means they’ll throw the party in power – OUT OF POWER that produces this kind of imagery.

Forget rightwingyahoo’s racist assumptions that all “Latinos” are hopelessly going to vote Democratic and conquer the eletoral college – you can lose all of that by simply turning Americans OFF with fascist type deportations – and the LSM will play it for all it’s worth.

So yeah – get the planes and busses running – but if the imagery comes up on the tv tube – better have another plan.

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Wow – that post was full of seething racism.

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM

You are naive and ignorant to the point of being childlike. I don’t think you understood even half of what I said.

Django on July 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Django on July 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM

No I understood it perfectly. Your point is distilled down into the fact that Latinos are racists – so why shouldn’t us Whites be also?

Your point ignores ANY middle ground on the issue and assigns the causes and solutions to racial groups – you specifically state we have a choice between “brown racism” and “white racism” – so why not opt for “white racism”?

Why are you even thinking along those lines?

Why not think about how we can all come together on this for the betterment of America and future generations. Certainly – the illegal problem is a bad one – serious enough to destroy our nation even.

But resorting to “us vs them” logic also will destroy us.

There’s a middle ground here. We can take these people case by case – and keep the productive, tax paying ones. We can deport the rest. That’s not racist – that’s not drawing a line in the sand and saying “none can stay” … and it’s being pragmatic because no way we’re deporting all of them.

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Coronagold on July 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I’ll leave that alone except to say I think you’d be very disappointed if you think the armed forces will stand up for liberty and defy blatantly unconstitutional orders.

I hope I’m wrong, of course.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I think you mean the betterment of the democrat party. You might not get that, but you do.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM

a

nd it’s being pragmatic because no way we’re deporting all of them.

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Oh, the pragmatic way of flipping FL and TX, right.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I can remember a day when you told an American he couldn’t do something it would motivate them to the point that they would prove you wrong. That is how I feel about the specious argument that you can’t deport them all.

Give me a chance and I would do my best to make a liar out of you. You know all those school buses that for the most part are sitting idle during the summer. I would fill our highways with so many of them packed with illegals all headed for the Mexican border that a view of the US from space would reveal an interstate highway system that looked like yellow ribbons.

Can’t build a border fence? I think with the current unemployment rate I would be able to find enough willing folks to spend a little time putting it up.

Want the the illegals to have due process? No problem. Set up deportation courts close to the border operating 24/7. Hell I would even have them within walking distance. So what if they aren’t Mexican citizens. I turn this into Mexico’s problem they might be a little less accommodating of allowing them to pass through to start with.

Oh, there are answers for the problem, you just have to have a little thing called intestinal fortitude to carry them out.

Just A Grunt on July 3, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Open season.

Mirimichi on July 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Just A Grunt on July 3, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Thanks for your post.

I know everyone hates me here, for saying what they all know deep down to be true, (except for Honda of course, and a few others who are deeply…. well, dishonest, or scared, or simply weak/liberal.

But I’m going to keep saying it. Hopefully I won’t be banned, but if I am, so be it.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

test.

Mirimichi on July 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Honda -

Since you never answered my challenge of listing a positive illegal aliens provide to the U,S.(other than providing business owners with less than minimum wage labor), I am assuming you are unable to do so.

bw222 on July 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM

You’d “LOVE TO DEPORT ALL 20 MILLION.” illegal aliens through facist type deportations? Damn! you’re sounding like a closet Rightwingyahoo. Or am I total off the wall linking these 2 sentiments together?

As for the fascist imagery you conjure up, what’s the difference if it happens at the same time we secure our borders, or later when we deport millions of illegals who don’t meet the path to citizenship requirements?

What, the LSM is all of a sudden going to start characterizing these type of deportations as justified due diligence? That will never happen unless all 20 million, excluding serious criminals, are granted amnesty.

Gang-of-One on July 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:08 PM

This is why I put #3 there in the first place.

If someone has the spine and stones to defend me and go where I am medically barred from (military service)and potentially DIE FOR ME they and their wife/parents/siblings (immediate blood/marital relatives ONLY) have earned the right to take a citizenship exam provided those persons have no other issues like I said-murder, traffic accidents, drug running, gang involvement, etc.

Also that exam should ONLY be given IN ENGLISH.

As for #6

If after all the enforcement measures I outlined in 1-5 being fully running for a minimum of 10 years (preferably 20 years) still result in illegals being here that again have done NOTHING other than sneak in here/been snuck in here yes amnesty them, make them pay a large fine and any and all back taxes and then stick them at the back of the line for greencards/citizenship.

I forgot to include removing all the ESL CRAP from schools and governmental interaction.

All of that should ONLY be done in ENGLISH. My ancestors had to learn English from stepping off a boat in Poland so everyone else damn well can too!
Can’t speak, read, write, English?
Go to night school or have your kids or a neighbor teach you. It wasn’t below my relatives level and it damn sure isn’t below you.

SgtSVJones on July 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Django on July 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Whenever I get into a discussion with a person who is soft on immigration, I always like to ask where they live. Then I look up their town demographics on the census. Sure enough, it is almost always a place with low hispanic population. They think that just because they have a couple of meat processing plants that they have alot of illegals. LOL. If only they had to live somewhere like Dallas or Houston! They would be out for blood!

mrsmwp on July 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

My idea of a border fence

—————-ENTIRE-US MEXICO BORDER——————-Berlin Wall Type Structure MANNED with rubber bullet rapid fire weapons staffed by combination of U.S. Military, ICE, CBP, local Law Enforcement and Deputized Citizens of Surrounding area 24/7/365

Specific Entry Exit Points and Surrounded by Fencing 1000 yds in either direction ON BOTH SIDES of the wall. Equip with SONAR or GPDAR (Ground Penetrating Radar)to deal with tunneling coyotes & drug smugglers

3-5 miles inside U.S. Territory

Repeat of the same

3-5 miles further

Repeat of the Same

Until you hit 25-30 miles inside U.S. Territory and the walls/guards/fencing/checkpoints end.

Anyone who can scale that many walls and slice that many fences without being apprehended or tunnel under them all (20-30 miles worth) wins a prize…a free trip back south.

Also HEAVY WEAPONS ON CALL to include .50 cal uparmored HMMWVs, MRAPS, Bradley IFVs and even Abrams Tanks to deal with Cartel or other foreign national intrusion.

These structures can be built by those on unemployment, those underemployed, and convicts (if necessary).

SgtSVJones on July 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I’m not amongst those hating on you. I agree with many of your positions and disagree with others.

As a Navy vet, one of the main things I don’t agree with is your stance on non-citizens serving in the military. I served with a few such men who had greater love and respect for our country than 90% of the liberals I’ve ever known. Just the way I see that one.

In all honesty, another thing I don’t agree with you on is the Benedict Arnold tag on Honda. Sure, some his arguments make absolutely no sense to me, and sure, you got passion like a MOFO, but it just seems a little over the top to me.

Gang-of-One on July 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

About 10 years ago, Hubby and I came home from a weekend out of town with his family. We opened the front door to a flood pouring through the ceiling from the upstairs.

Instead of arguing about new paint colors, whether to repair or replace flooring, or who should call the insurance company, Hubby knocked me down getting to the shut-off valve, and I jumped up and put buckets, pots, and trashcans under the pouring water. We’re not politicians, but we know to stop a problem BEFORE tackling cleanup.

Laura in Maryland on July 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Calmly sargeant, calmly.

We can build the barrier thru the normal means, we can fortify it thru normal LE channels, we can slowly put all this in place.

There is no need to blow trumpets, just get busy, and there need be no jawing. Just say the POTUS must enforce all the laws equally for all the people to secure the blessings of liberty.

And keep right on going.

Sorry, no exceptions on immigration for milservice, and no non-citizens in the military.

That’s a bug, not a feature, and must be brought back under the umbrella of sensible policy.

No more Major Hasans, and soldiers of Allah lobbing grenades into officers’ tents.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

ok, well, we’ll just have to disagree. Historically, nations that have done this have been in serious trouble, and things got worse from there.

There’s been a great deal of gang activity in the USmil in Iraq, I’ve heard, and La Voz De Atzlan website a few years back, referred to literal battalions of Ex-Marines who would take of the fight for illegal immigrants’ rights for Mexico (well, technically Atzlan) should the hated gringos start enforcing the immigration laws.

Trouble.

Well, if you believe that if Honda gets what he wants TX and FL go blue, (a virtual certainty) and likely AZ and NM, and possibly NC, VA and OH too, and that that obviously wipes out the R party FOR GOOD, what would you call it?

Again, I respectfully disagree.

But I thank you for your support, and for your service to our nations military in the cause of liberty.

A service that continues after your discharge from active duty, of course. The oath doesn’t go away, does it?

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM

We’re not politicians, but we know to stop a problem BEFORE tackling cleanup.

Laura in Maryland on July 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Yeah, but this is not the way that will go. What will happen is that as soon as the border can in any possible way be declared secure (even if it is not) the pro-amnesty forces will attack again…..

Border security comes and goes. Immigration enforcement needs to be a constant and ongoing process, regardless of the borders security or lack thereof….

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I would be honored to take an oath to defend and protect the US Constitution from all enemies, but, I must say if I had to serve under someone like Honda who I knew thought the laws he was protecting were not the same for everyone, I would resign if an officer, or serve out my piece if merely enlisted then leave.

Or try to get reassigned maybe.

No way in hell I’d eat lead for a guy who thinks the laws are only for some of us….

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

My bad. Hasan was born in Arlington Va……

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM

mrsmwp on July 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

That’s very true. And it’s not entirely their fault. The media outright lies and covers up a great deal of info. People mean well but they are totally oblivious. I’m convinced that much of the country has no clue of the human tidal wave that’s headed their way.

Also, in America there is nothing as gratifying and life affirming for many people as calling someone else a racist. Whites in particular have been brainwashed into affirming their belonging to and value to the society by how loudly and conspicuously they denounce racism.

In America, any white person who isn’t nearly always deriding racism, no matter how it relates to the issue at hand, is a non-person. A walking abomination. And there are all kinds of tired, cheap manipulations that flow out of that. Don’t like illegals who hate America and cynically shake it down? You’re a racist! It is a truly childlike gullibility on the part of people who have been completely brainwashed by pop culture and the news media and have no personal experience to draw on.

Django on July 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM

well, racism is umm bad.

But enforcing the immigration laws is not racist, unless we only enforced them against one group, which we obviously would not do.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Ready to fight?
Ready to fight, who,and how?
All right.
Let’s fight.
And let’s not stop fighting until everyone of you is out of our country.

Observation on July 4, 2011 at 12:03 AM

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I started to type out another response but then I realized that it can’t be stated much more accurately than in my first reply. You did not understand what I said and instead launched into a self-gratifying “you’re a racist and I’m not” ego wank that doesn’t even address the particulars of what I said. You simply have no idea what you’re talking about.

Django on July 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Yes, I’ve seen a few TV reports exposing the gang problem in the military, but nothing that covered the disturbing issue you point out. However, I’m thinking that those Atzlan gringo-hating warriors are, by a large percentage, Mexican-American gang-banger citizens. I could be wrong so I’m going to study up on the subject. I’m glad I served from the late seventies through the mid eighties before gangs became a scourge.

One of the things I definitely agree with you on, regardless of Honda’s throwing the race card at you, is the fact that giving amnesty to millions of illegal aliens will surely kick the Republicicans/Conservatives to the curb permanently.

Still, I can’t go with Benedict Arnold thing because I see him as being hopelessly naive as opposed to traitorous. He thinks conservatives can win millions to the cause through outreach and education in conservative values, whereas I think that’s a pipe dream. The progressives and the PC LSM have poisoned that potential voting block and a couple others with the Republicans are nazis sh!t. We’ve got as much chance of changing that as the Jehovah’s Witnesses showing up on my door step once a week of changing me. slim to none!

Anyway, like you said, we’ll just have to respectfully disagree on some things.

Gang-of-One on July 4, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Or try to get reassigned maybe.

rightwingyahooo on July 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Been there took that.

Then got tossed for lying about my medical history to get in.

However the laws ARE different between military and civilian lives. Military members have FAR less freedoms than do we, the ones we protect.

And that is why I am fully for a reward of citizenship for non-citizens who willingly would serve to protect my rights and a shorter citizenship track for their family members.

Sorry if you don’t like it.

SgtSVJones on July 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM

They’re not that much different. I never ran into anyone who complained. In fact, I don’t think I ever heard it brought up. Military service is voluntary anyway.

Sorry if you don’t like it.

SgtSVJones on July 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM

This is a bad idea because you flood the military with non-citizens, most only there to get citizenship. The military will then have to cater to non-citizens, especially with language since I doubt many are fluent in English.

On top of that you want to give family members a free ride. No.

One set of rules for everyone.

darwin on July 4, 2011 at 7:58 AM

1. Secure the borders.

2. Enforce the laws.

3. Register all illegal aliens for assessment of possible green card status, deportation, etc.

Until 1. is done, 2 is impossible, and 3. is slow national suicide.

profitsbeard on July 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM

No. Screw that..

1 Enforce the laws.

2 Secure the border.

3 Keep enforcing the laws.

4. Next issue.

rightwingyahooo on July 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM

No. Screw that..

1 Enforce the laws.

2 Secure the border.

3 Keep enforcing the laws.

4. Next issue.

rightwingyahooo on July 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM

1. Damn! Your insane!

2. Next issue

/s (just in case it’s needed:)

Gang-of-One on July 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

So after running the Peachtree Road Race for the first time (I ran the whole way and finished, thank you) I realized while I was surrounded by thousands of runners that these 8,000 + “protesters” really have no idea what they are up against. There are some 60,000 people who race each year and after seeing some of that today, there is little doubt we would obliterate them. Imagine the whole state!

RDE2010 on July 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM

RDE2010 on July 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM

FYI I don’t know why it posted twice. Must like my message.

RDE2010 on July 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM

ixnay on the bliterating-ohay…just forcing-enay the aw-lay…..

rightwingyahooo on July 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Django on July 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM

too funny. I came to teh same conmclusion last night and stopped bothering with him.

It’s funny how some “conservatives” rush to adopt the liberal arguments (“racist”) for this issue. Honda is about as petulent and unserious as it gets.

Monkeytoe on July 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

Hmm. Wonder who is the new King George — or, rather, Georges.

unclesmrgol on July 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

It IS possible to deport 20 million, and in under ten years.
It is actually possible to deport 5 million a year pretty cheaply, and we START with self deport.
But first, you must seal the borders, north and south.
You know what’s funny about this?
Saudi Arabia is building the fence from hell right now, with our oil money. Seems they don’t want terrorists in their country either.

docjohn52 on July 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Let’s do it – if we can do it without producing the imagery of the German deportations and the Indian Partition. My major objections to mass deportation stems from the very REAL FACT that Americans will get turned off to Conservatism and the Republican party if they start seeing too many stupid deportations on their TV sets…

HondaV65 on July 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Um, who says we have to pay for them to take buses and planes back to their home countries?

Close the “anchor baby” loopholes, close the border, make hiring illegals a death knell for businesses (seriously, put them out of business if they hire illegals) and the uninvited guest workers will go home on their own when there are no more jobs and they can’t get government benefits, use banking, get housing or healthcare.

We didn’t pay to get them here, we don’t have to pay to send them home.

Fallon on July 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Monkeytoe on July 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Check this out. It could not be more on point:

The Philosophies of Illegal Immigration
July 1, 2011 – 2:33 pm – by Victor Davis Hanson

Dinosaur Thinking

Even to talk of illegal immigration earns slurs. I can attest to that. It is the most self-censored topic in America today, where we construct artificial worlds of rhetoric that in no way resemble reality (e.g., try to suggest that California’s current problems with 30,000 to 40,000 too many prison inmates, or spiraling entitlement costs, or test scores right below Mississippi’s, or gang-related crime have something to do with the entry over two decades of millions of illegal aliens, and then see whether that proposition is discussed or slurred in ad hominem fashion). The most ardent critic of open discussion is often the most likely to self-select and remove himself from any concrete exposure with the issues he champions at a distance.

It’s disgusting that so many of the people who engage in this described behavior are allegedly conservatives. That’s why I’m afraid we’re screwed as a nation. Even the right cowers and grovels before the rules of politically correct, liberal America.

Django on July 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Django on July 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM

And that’s not even getting into the fact that we’re in the middle of a race war we haven’t acknowledged, and are getting our butts handed to us.

It’s much like the war on terror except we haven’t had a 9/11 for it. Yet.

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Yes, and we’re not the ones who declared it! The Master Raza with their brown invasion are the ones who are totally into “blut und boden” (as the Nazis put it) – “blood and soil”. They believe that the US “stole” California from Mexico and that whites are European invaders who should “go home” to Europe. Their land, their race, their culture – that’s it. They hate blacks, they hate whites, they hate everybody who’s not one of them and they look out only for themselves – NOT for the benefit of the country as a whole.

Meanwhile, the Republican and Democrat elites in their far off gated communities or all-white neighborhoods are either totally clueless or too insulated, rich and cowardly to care.

It’s very frustrating that even most of the conservative press seem oblivious to this. Even HotAir has about 10 articles on gay marriage for every article on illegal immigration. It seems most of the conservative media – despite being conservative – are still in thrall to warmed-over kumbaya, hippy philosophy from the ’70′s wherein, if you’re just passive and nice and “cool” to everyone, then it all works out fine ’cause “we’re America”.

They simply don’t understand that they’re not calling the shots anymore on the social and racial tone – the invaders are and they don’t give a half a s–t about your old white pseudo-hippy BS! The “newcomers” are frankly racist in favor of hispanics and they don’t give a damn if old white people think that’s wrong. They just don’t buy into all that. They are running our country the way they want and that’s that. They want our land and they want our money, they don’t care about the “American dream” or any of that blather.

I don’t know what it would take for people to wake up. If some La Raza-ite drug dealer were sawing their heads off, they’d still be saying “But I’m not racist! I <3 your diversity!" The social programming of years of TV, movies, news media and schooling are incredibly powerful.

Django on July 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I love how people get all hysterical about deporting them.
We deport them the same way they got here, One at a time!

ColdWarrior57 on July 5, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I’m shocked, shocked, I say by the responses on this board. Here’s my plan:

1) Announce Amnesty for all current “residents”
2) Demand registration for amnesty including full address, list of gov’t amenities used by dependents (food stamps, schools of children, tuition breaks), and employers.
3) Require full reimbursement of taxpayer money, and full income taxes.
4) Run a criminal background check, including illegal entry.

The 3 or 4 who make it through the first 4 items can then apply for citizenship behind everyone who did it right.

Daisy_WI on July 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM