Cain raises $2.4 million, Iowa staff resigns

posted at 10:15 am on July 2, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

First, the good news from the Herman Cain campaign:

Former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain is a grassroots sensation on the 2012 presidential campaign trail. Now we know what that looks like as a dollar figure: Cain brought in $2.46 million in campaign contributions, a number the campaign tells TPM it expects to see rise to closer to $2.48 when all the final reporting is done.

“It’s not Mitt Romney money, it’s not [President] Obama money, but we’re excited,” spokesperson Ellen Carmichael told TPM late Friday night.

Cain, wealthy from his experience running Godfather’s as well as other successful business enterprises, has put in some of his own cash as “seed money” for the campaign, Carmichael said. But she said that the amount Cain has contributed pales in comparison to the $2 million or so former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman gave his own campaign, which reported just over $4 million in total fundraising today.

It’s not Romney money, and it’s not even Pawlenty money, who edged Huntsman in the fundraising sweepstakes (and Huntsman’s money was mainly his own anyway).  However, for a true outsider running a campaign that hardly anyone took seriously seven weeks ago when Cain first announced, that’s a pretty impressive result.  Cain’s campaign claims 27,000 online donors, and also says that most of the haul came from donations of $100 or less.  The money will help Cain fund operations in early states, probably focusing on Iowa and South Carolina, the latter of which he has to win or come close to make a case for his ability to campaign effectively.

Unfortunately, Iowa is where the bad news originates:

Herman Cain’s Iowa Director, Tina Goff, told TheIowaRepublican.com that she has submitted her resignation and is no longer working for the campaign.  In addition to Goff’s resignation, TheIowaRepublican.com can confirm that Kevin Hall has also left the campaign.  Hall served as Cain’s Straw Poll coordinator. …

With just 43 days to the Iowa Straw Poll, Cain’s campaign here in Iowa and nationally seems to be unraveling.  Cain lost his New Hampshire director, Matt Murphy, who was his only staffer in that state, earlier this week.  Jim Zeiler, a Cain regional director who had been to Iowa and was helping with the campaign’s Straw Poll plans, has also left the campaign.

How seriously will Cain contest Iowa?  He has an opening there, according to this past week’s Iowa Poll in the Des Moines Register.  Mitt Romney and Michele Bachmann ended up in a virtual tie for first place, 23/22 respectively, but Cain followed in third place with 10%.  Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul tied for fourth at 7%, followed by Tim Pawlenty in sixth place at 6% — a poor showing for Pawlenty, who needs a strong finish in Iowa. A third place finish in Iowa in the January caucuses, especially at the expense of Pawlenty and Gingrich, would give Cain some serious credibility heading into South Carolina.

Even with that strong result for Cain, however, Goff told The Iowa Republican than she didn’t believe Cain was serious about campaigning in the state, which is why she quit.  Perhaps this is just a case of differing strategies, and it’s early enough to hire more staff and shift resources, especially with the unexpectedly strong second-quarter haul.  With the Ames straw poll coming soon, though, Cain doesn’t have a lot of time in Iowa and will have to retrench quickly to maintain his momentum with caucus-goers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

First, the good news from the Herman Cain campaign:

It’s actually bad news that Cain raised enough to keep his hopes alive.
The sooner don’t-stand-a-chance candidates like Santorum, Huntsman, Paul, Palin, & Gingrich disappear from campaign news, the better our chance of beating Obama in Nov. ’12.

itsnotaboutme on July 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

“Raising Cain” not raising funds.

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Wow. Both his Iowa and New Hampshire coordinators quit on him in the span of one week.

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

To elaborate on my 10:21AM point:
Conservatives are split umpteen different ways, while moderates are mostly uniting behind Romney.
Also, dollars spent by the also-rans are dollars that will not go into the coffers of the eventual nominee, who will have to spend money against the also-rans.

itsnotaboutme on July 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Toast.

idesign on July 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Why would he not be serious about campaigning in Iowa? Me thinks they’re not telling the real reason they resigned.

SouthernGent on July 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain

Now I want Pizza. It’s only 7:26am.

Dammit.

portlandon on July 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM

These “campaign staffers” sure seem to be a touchy bunch. Obviously they don’t believe in the candidates they work for, they are just looking for a job, a long term job if at all possible. Don’t campaign in a fashion these staffers prefer and they are outta there. Newt and Herman are probably better off without these mercenaries. I bet Herman can find some former store managers who can fill the needed roles to carry out a campaign. It can’t really be harder than managing a restaurant (which is a REAL job that requires preparation, forethought, managing people AND elbow grease). Politics is for people who don’t like to work and want to get paid for running their mouths.

JimP on July 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM

SouthernGent on July 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

It’s Calista’s fault.

portlandon on July 2, 2011 at 10:28 AM

If he’s raising that kind of cash, he’s got support. Sounds like he’s becoming a “first tier” candidate with “second tier” staff.

cartooner on July 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

sums up Cain….

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I am a longtime Herman Cain supporter. However, while I really, really, really like pizza, I do not think he can win. I don’t think that Hermie is intellectually curious. If Hermie were to study up on on the duties of elective office and speak out about governing issues I think he could be ready in 2016.

At this point, Hermie is unelectable.

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

If I had to make a bet I would say Cain’s “staff” sold out. watch to see which campaigns pick these guys up. normal politcal cloak and dagger stuff.

That’s why people that trust these people are fools.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

lol

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Cain was always a longshot at best. Frankly, so is Bachmann if Palin and/or Perry gets in.

Doughboy on July 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

If i had to guess I buet that money raised was front loaded and most came after the Sc debate and the money is drying up as we speak.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I wonder how much these jobs pay.

Dongemaharu on July 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Cain and Newt should compare notes and see who paid off their “staffs” to stab them in the back and hold a joint press conference about it.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Bwaa haaa haaa!

portlandon on July 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

He should have hired Ed Rollins. /

idesign on July 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Incoming!

Emperor Norton on July 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Meanwhile Bachmann his praying that her campaign manager decides to “quit”

The tar baby rollins is poison to her but to fire him shows she makes bad decisions which she does. she is stuck.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM

It’s actually bad news that Cain raised enough to keep his hopes alive.

itsnotaboutme on July 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Why must every thread be turned into a Santorum thread?

Santorumbots to enter and call people names, and blow their noses on the curtains of this thread in 3…2…1..

portlandon on July 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

SouthernGent on July 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I think if you looked you would find some numbers with a lot of zeros in their bank account. $10 million buys a lot of backstabers.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I wonder how much these jobs pay.

Dongemaharu on July 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

depends who is paying. sometimes their salary chances quite surprisingly when a bigger fish needs to make something happen.

that’s why grassroots campaigns do better against entrenched pols like mitt. entrenched campaigns can only be defeated by deeper pockets or strong grassroots campaigns. When you hire staff that staff can be bought by the more well finaiced campaigns. Which is what I think happend here. the fact that both Nh and Ia staff quit at around the same time speaks of a planned attack much like Newts’s staff leading. the fact that there have been two such ” campaign implosions” also speaks of some corridination.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

This campaign won’t be about money. It will be about Truth.

And, while I have not donated to Cain, I’m getting a bit miffed about the MSM referring to him as “Former Godfather’s Pizza CEO”.

The neglect (intentional?) of his past credentials is startling. He headed up Pillsbury, Burger King, The National Restaurant Association amongst other successful endeavors.

Be truthful.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

wonder how much these jobs pay.

Dongemaharu on July 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Well you can have dinner with zero and doh biden for a five dollah bill donation.

I don’t think we should underestimate Herman Cain.

Cain-West 2012

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Actually bho and biden have lowered it down to $3 now.

L

letget on July 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM

the ULTIMATE omen

via Zip

In Philly!

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Actually bho and biden have lowered it down to $3 now.

L

letget on July 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I’d like to give one of them my 2 cents, but why bother speaking to a withering ship of fools?

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM

It sure does seem like these campaign types are frustratingly flaky. I like Cain a lot, but I would rather the campaign head in either direction quickly. That way, either he’s a top tier candidate or he’s done.

Though I’d rather see Newt, Santorum, Huntsman, and even T-Paw get out before Cain.

Darksean on July 2, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Toast.

idesign on July 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

That’s racist.

cat-scratch on July 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Hmmm… I like Cain, but this is clearly not good news if the smell of political coma is in the air. Should Cain lose viability, that would leave on Bachmann as the only active Tea Party darling left in the running.

Still on hold for Palin and/or Perry.

itzWicks on July 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Poor Cain. Nice guy. Too bad.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

itzWicks on July 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

If the SoCons are going to pin their hopes on Bachmann, they’d better be prepared to be marginalized by the party again. She isn’t going to win the primary. If it’s Bachmann v. Romney, Romney wins hands down. We can’t let it get to that point.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Cain-West 2012

The implications are clear:

Fiscal CEO will balance the budget

Unapologetic Colonel will drive our Military and our quest against islamist terrorists and ensure Victory.

And, together they will liberate the black populous from the democrats who have enslaved them for centuries.

Win. Win.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Win. Win.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

That’s really not realistic. Black people vote Democrat for many more reasons than just the color of Obama’s skin.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Be truthful.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Cain was only a Vice President at Pillsbury, and with Pillsbury’s Burger King subsidiary. He was CEO in his own right at Godfather’s, which is why people use that to describe him.

AngusMc on July 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

The Mitt Romney campaign thought they had the perfect place staked out for their fundraiser in London next week: an elegant home that once belonged to famed American portrait artist John Singer Sargent.

The home now belongs to wealthy financier Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and his wife, Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a well-connected American lawyer and entrepreneur.

But one major problem got in the way: the Lady joined up with one of Romney’s rivals, Jon M. Huntsman, Jr. She hosted a dinner for him last week at another one of her homes, in New York, and says they raised $1.2 million.

“He’s the real deal,” Forester said of Huntsman in an interview. “He is a genuine fiscal conservative. He’s not doctrinaire. He sticks to what he believes in. He’s just a pragmatic, non-ideological, let’s-roll-up-our-sleeves-and-get-it-done kind of American. I really think he’s fabulous.”

She said she agreed to allow the campaign to use her home several months ago, mostly as a personal favor to Woody Johnson, who is the owner of the New York Jets and one of Romney’s major fundraisers.

But Forester said she made clear that, while they could use her home, she would not make the maximum $2,500 contribution and she would not be supporting Romney.

“I feel sorry for Mitt Romney,” she said. “I think Mitt Romney has the Al Gore problem, which is that he’s perfect on paper but he does not connect with people and I don’t think there’s anything he can do.”

ouch

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Cain is better off operating from his gut instincts rather than having a collection of high paid, clueless advisers around him. DD

Darvin Dowdy on July 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Cain for Commerce Secretary?

PattyJ on July 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Politics in the Big City… Was hoping he could stick around for the first month of primaries…

Khun Joe on July 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The wheels are coming off the pizza delivery car.

bayview on July 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain
Now I want Pizza. It’s only 7:26am.

Dammit.

portlandon on July 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Rebels are serving pizza on the frontlines in Libya! Rick Leventhal did a report on last nite’s FNC Special Report. Libyan rebels cooked the pizza then delivered it to the fighters, & they even had ‘take out’. wow…

TN Mom on July 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Meh. I want Lady Rothschild on Palin’s team, not lame-o Huntsman.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Darvin Dowdy on July 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

But if he doesn’t have those advisers how will he ever be able to make a decision or give us an answer on anything.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM

People always talk about money, but while we are all living in Obamaville, people don’t have the money to give. The only people giving money right now are the super rich. In the end,the votes decide nt the money. I doubt Cain wins Iowa, but I am guessing 3rd.

I could sit and watch weeks worth of ads, bllboards, etc. Have a dozen people come to my house and talk to me about voting for Obama, but there is no way I would ever vote for the idiot.

jeffn21 on July 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Meh. I want Lady Rothschild on Palin’s team, not lame-o Huntsman.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM

it would be nice to break the “class” thing but as of now it would probably be conuterproductive with Palin’s working class girl makes good image. I am 1005 sure she will be in Palin’s corner when Palin wins the nomination.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 11:20 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM

+1. You’ll also have to yank the rug of whitey’s welfare money out from under them, a monumental task in itself. Frankly I’d want all the troops home from overseas that we can get before I tried that.

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Go Mr Cain. The country needs you. We are in serious trouble when congress and the president both refuse to follow the law’

ColdWarrior57 on July 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM

That is a lie. Do you know the color of my skin?

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Wha?

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Just to set your stupid a@@ straight?

I grew up in projects, on welfare and on food stamps. There is NOTHING.. NOTHING… more demeaning than that. I was empowered by Ronald Reagan who told me I could do anything I wanted to do if I just applied myself.

Well, guess what? I made it. Unfortunately, many remain in slavery through the Democrat party so bite me you A@@hole.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Gingrich/Cain 2012

Brian1972 on July 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM

At this point, Hermie is unelectable.

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Please, do we really want to borrow the arrogant liberal elites’ favorite slime of conservatives -”intellectually curious” (or incurious) in discussing our own candidates? In prog land that tends to mean “doesn’t accept Marxism”. It’s just jibberish.

slickwillie2001 on July 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I heart Cain and will support him to the bitter end. He is a strong man who has risen up from adversity many times in his life. The loss of his staff will not faze him. I am ready for a real citizen government starting at the chief executive position. I’m sick of professional legislators and politicians. I want a man with a proven record of leading by principle. I want the Lugar’s Hatch’s and McCain’s out. Go Herman. I’m with you!!!

kringeesmom on July 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM

slickwillie2001 on July 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM

You are too late with that admonition, because the uppper crust DCGOP types have been saying that very thing about Palin for 3 years.

That is the sarcasm here that you may have missed.

Brian1972 on July 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM

itsnotaboutme on July 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Apparently you don;t understand the purpose of the primaries. It’s interesting that you mentioned Palin, who hasn’t announced but has a better chance of winning than some you didn’t mention.

bw222 on July 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM

intellectually curious?

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

bw222 on July 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM

That is a lie. Do you know the color of my skin?

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I considered that after I hit “send”. I should have said “Most Black people vote Democrat for reasons other than the color of Obama’s skin.” There are of course Black people who are not Democrats.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

At this point, Hermie is unelectable.

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

..that’s not the point. The longer he and Bachmann stay in the race, the more the other squishes like Romney and..well..Romney have to address conservative principles. Bachmann’s strong showing, in particular, makes it evident that she holds the keys to the Tea Party vote and Romney must court her to get them.
Disclaimer: I am an Anyone-but-Obama person; the guy can do untold damage to this country if re-elected and unfettered from future electoral aspirations. Period. Full stop.

The War Planner on July 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I think the term “intellectually incurious” really means this:

Unwilling to consider adopting leftist big government solutions and call it conservative.

Brian1972 on July 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Herman Cain may likely win this nomination.

You can always tell who Obama and his MSM fears. Two strong men of Principle and Purpose. They are terrified of this ticket: Cain West.

I like ‘em both because they are strong Patriots.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM

He puts out a good campaign ad:
Herman Cain Ad: “A Failure To Lead”

He says what others don’t have the guts to say.

petefrt on July 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM

itsnotaboutme on July 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

moderates (RINOS) may be mostly uniting behind Romney, I agree. Conservatives and Independents, not so much.

IowaWoman on July 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Well, if you aren’t listening in the first place how can he tell you anything?

Same with this “intellectual curiosity” nonsense. Herman Cain has turned around businesses big and small. Pinhead liberals and GOP elites should be more intellectually curious about his expertise, not the other way around.

BKennedy on July 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM

bw222 on July 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

The War Planner on July 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I suspect your sarc detectors may be out of alignment.

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

BKennedy on July 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The “intellectual curiosity” comment was a joke, riffing off of the usual Krauthammeresque criticisms of Sarah Palin, but judging by the knee jerk reaction from Cain supporters, I guess we know what his Achilles’ heel is.

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I’m not quite so sure of the reasons being given as to why these people resigned. Herman Cain has been pounding the pavement in Iowa the past 9 months. But then again most wouldn’t really know that here at HA since this is Palin, Bachmann, Pawlenty and Romney territory and Cain isn’t click bait.

Knucklehead on July 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM

It wasn’t a response to your comment in particular which was obviously sarcastic, but the general tone of comments regarding “long shot” candidates. Intelligence also seems to come up more frequently in non-GOP milquetoast whit guy candidates.

In my opinion, sometimes a long shot just means a more accurate sight. Herman Cain has been getting better in his interviews, and I sincerely hope he does well. Even if he doesn’t win the nomination, a strong showing will give him a shot at the vice presidency, and he solidifies Tea Party and southern support for a more traditional top of the ticket composed even of legendary flakes like Romney.

At the end of the day, a strong, principled outside voice can clear the air in the primary and crystallize the values of candidates. We all know Obama is going to throw tons of money in this election. If someone with a smart campaign staff catches on, they can link the glut of spending on a bad product to every initiative Obama has ever undertaken.

BKennedy on July 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Goodness.. The left will do their best to marginalize ANY candidate the GOP nominates. All we really need to do is nominate the most conservative person we can trust to turn things around in a likely GOP controlled Congress.

You don’t want Romney in charge. He’s more slippery than an eel, and will flip like a fish under moderate pressure from the MSM. In other words, he’ll break your hearts. * pointing directly at the moderates *

I maintain that at this point, the only Tea Party minded conservatives that I truly trust at this point are Bachmann and Palin, and if the latter enters the race, watch folks like me put boots on the ground any where and every where we need to go to make the case for the Artic Fox.

Perry might well be the most electable, but I’d rather see him remain in Texas to keep things going strong regionally unless there is no other choice and Palin stays out.

itzWicks on July 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Cain’s not my top choice but he’s in my top choices. I would be ecstatic to see this man be POTUS if he gets the nomination.

DaMav on July 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM

They probably quit when they saw Cain’s 1st ad. That video was 3rd tier candidate.

huckleberryfriend on July 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM

steebo77 on July 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Bachmann hired Rollins, bad bad idea. Whoever hires Newt and Cain’s handlers are in similar straights. (Perry or Palin) These people are turncoats and you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep.

scotash on July 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Well, if you aren’t listening in the first place how can he tell you anything?

BKennedy on July 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I have been listening Cain has said repeatly that he needs to hear from his advisers before making a decision and just about every issue. He has told me that is what a CEO does, listens to advisers and then makes a decision.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM

scotash on July 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM

very true. there are no friends in politcs

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM

huckleberryfriend on July 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM

on that I agree why would Cain tie himself to “revoluti*n” talk like that.

yes we need to make major chages but I don’t think we need to abolish out government.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Just maybe Cain’s core staff are inexperienced amateurs who have left various state staffs hanging in the wind.

Kermit on July 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Cain’s staffer in Iowa quits.

Bachmann is the devil in a skirt.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

scotash on July 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Perfect example – Gov. Richardson of NM, the Judas of them all. He made Obama by his front-end betrayal of Hillary.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

As Teh Fred said, your campaign management is the single factor that either makes or breaks your bid.

Follow where Goff et al. Iowan ship jumpers show up. They could have been set-ups, sell-outs for pay-offs all along.

maverick muse on July 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

maverick muse, Teh Fred was a set-up himself. He helped to re-maked McCain, disappointingly.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

As per the power of multiple meager donations, I’ve always had immense respect for the innate power within contributions of the widow’s mite.

The Tea Party movement consists of voters who are completely disillusioned by the establishment BECAUSE the government and political system is completely corrupt. It isn’t as if a multi-billion dollar media blitz propagandizing the likes of a corporatist like Romney/Perry is going to convert the disgusted public to jump on the establishment bandwagon one more time for auld lang syne. Come on over the cliff for sentimental reasons. Or for the thrill…

Not going there. Not buying that. No way am I throwing my meager vote away on the status quo to save either me or America at large.

maverick muse on July 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I’d only agree that he was set up. I followed his campaign from the onset, and through his post-campaign radio show.

I have respect for Thompson’s First Principles constitutional conservative common sense platform, and for his experience as well as his personality. Pres. Fred Thompson would have been for the best from the lot running. He established the framework for the moderates who joined the Tea Party movement, Palin having adopted Thompson’s points.

Those promoting Romney’s corporatist socialism propagandized against the Senator’s platform with lame lines like “no fire in teh belly”.

THAT is what paved Obama’s way to beat whoever got hold of the GOP ’08 ticket, the GOP’s own operatives, the ones still running the GOP, i.e., the Republican Leadership, the ’12 “shared values” elitists with bragging rights as true bi-partisan hacks whose own votes and record stack up against upholding the integrity of the constitution. Being establishment themselves, it’s always about bigger government, regardless of their rhetorical lies to the contrary. “Promise anything for their votes,” as Romney ordered.

maverick muse on July 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I wonder how much these jobs pay.

Dongemaharu on July 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Generally there are two typoes of campaign employee. The “pro” and the “true believer”.

Pro’s are mercenaries. While they genrally won’t work for people whose politics they don’t like, they are liyal to the campaign that pays them. They are generally well paid, have a narrow field of expertise, and it is understood that come Election Day, their relationship with the candidate and the campaign is over… at least until the next time.

True believers work for the candidate because they believe in them. Money is a secondary consideration for them; access and proximity to the candidate is the ultimate prize for them. They will do whatever task the campaign needs of them, and if their candidate is victorious, it is understood that they will be in line for the jobs the official has to fill.

JohnGalt23 on July 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I just had to re-post that. Comment. From. Uncle Sam’s Nephew.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

If Obama’s one billion dollah campaign wants to see something?

Watch Herman Cain. This man is a pure Patriot.

Not some skinny agitating community organizer bullsHHartist. This man came from the hood, from poverty. This man knows what he’s talking about.

This is the man that will not JUST defeat that jackwad clown in the WH, he will liberate the masses and set them free from their slavery to the Democratic party.

Now. You watch the MSM and the WH go into full blown hissy fit mode. Because? THEY. KNOW.

CAIN WEST 2012

Key West Reader on July 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM

What’s up with the SarahPAC site? Still pops up with her bus tour kicking off on May 29th? You gotta wonder what the people who work for candidates are thinking. You almost think it’s on purpose.

gatorfanatic on July 2, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Pay your expenses; thank your dedicated supporters; endorse someone — or leave that door open for a few more months — and give that guy back the rest of his $2.4 million … whoever it was. He’ll need it for the person you end up endorsing.

Jaibones on July 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Whelp, goodbye to the only Republican candidate qualified to fix our economic issues.

It doesn’t matter though. Obama is going to win a second term because Republicans can’t field a candidate that anyone outside of the party takes seriously.

Benaiah on July 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Of course Cain wont win, the political machine has told you he cant, and that he shouldnt. It doesnt matter that he would make a Reagan like President, more conservative than 95% of the GOP field. We have been informed by the conventional wisdom that Cain doesnt have a chance so we might as well move on….”nothing to see here”.

Its sad that the best candidates are disqualified by the exact media and political elite that have given us the economic disaster we live in today. We need an outsider like Cain to change the system. Id prefer Palin with her record of taking it to the establishment and their corruption but im not sure she is running. Until she is, Cain is the best hope for this country and i refuse to be forced into choosing between the least worst of the candidates that the political class offers up.

I suggest we start changing the game. The two party system has become a one party government with the virtually meaningless names GOP and Democrat to make us little people think we have a say. The only way we change that is if we send someone like Cain to Washington.

Cain can win the nomination. We just have to decide we are sick of playing their game and make it happen.

alecj on July 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM

alecj on July 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Of course Herman Cain can win the nomination. Anyone who runs has a non-zero chance of winning the nomination, in theory. Thing is, only one candidate actually will win the nomination. That’s why I have a favorite choice (and a backup plan, especially since my state has a late primary).

gryphon202 on July 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I do believe Iowa is a bit overrated. With that said, one has to be very strong in both New Hampshire and South Carolina to overcome that.

Steve Eggleston on July 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM

gryphon202 on July 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM

The problem is, by the time the primary tour bus gets to either your state or mine (Wisconsin), the 2016 nominee will have been selected.

Steve Eggleston on July 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but I think Cain has peaked. I don’t think many new people have been bit by the Cain bug and those who were are starting to look elsewhere. I sensed a major drop off in Cain enthusiasm on Conservative blogs after the second debate and some of his interviews where he punted on Foreign Policy. Bachmann has picked up a lot of the so called cainiacs as well.

Daemonocracy on July 2, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Steve Eggleston on July 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Absolutely. But seeing as how we are men of principle, we’ll go out there and vote anyway to show our support for the candidates we like — unless you’re one of those brain-dead goobs who plan on voting for whoever is polling highest on primary day. But you don’t strike me as the type.

gryphon202 on July 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM

So you hear what you want to hear then. I’m glad we’ve established that for posterity’s sake.

Most people don’t have an issue with candidates who research before they open their mouths, especially on thorny issues like foreign policy in unclear circumstances. Others are looking for a magic man who speaks with the pretense of knowledge. Count me out of the latter group.

BKennedy on July 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM