Video: MSNBC feeling the pressure of not being sufficiently pro-Obama, or something

posted at 5:40 pm on July 1, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Finally, MSNBC has begun to feel the pressure of their unbalanced look at politics. After getting angry feedback over their bias in guest selection, Mika Brzezinski felt compelled to share with viewers the harsh criticism they have received for their slant on national politics. Those of us who have criticized MSNBC for its ideological homogeneity are finally vindicated.

Obviously, the channel is not nearly pro-Obama enough:

Jay Carney admits calling MSNBC yesterday to complain about Mark Halperin’s crack [that we were first to report] that the President, at his Wednesday press conference, acted like a “d–k.” Did the White House press secretary take the opportunity of his call to pressure the show to bring on more pro-Obama flacks?

The question arises because on today’s show, Mika Brzezinski revealed that “we’re getting hit a lot lately for not bringing on people who speak on behalf of the White House and really stick up for the President.”

Joe Scarborough disputes the notion that they’re not trying hard enough to spin for Obama:

Joe Scarborough pointed out moments later, when the show researched its guest list, it found a stunning 10:1 ratio of Democrats to Republicans!

Stunning? Not really, at least not for anyone who watches MSNBC. And Morning Joe is considered the most friendly show on the cable channel to conservatives. That’s certainly a lean, but it’s not Leaning Forward.

Yesterday, a few Media Matters groupies tweeted in response to my skepticism over Mark Halperin’s treatment by MSNBC for a dumb remark that “senior journalists” don’t give Obama the same respect shown to George W. Bush. Say what? Would that be the same network whose most senior journalist accused Bush of having Pat Tillman killed to keep him from expressing support for John Kerry in the 2004 election? Suspension time for Olbermann after that broadcast: zero days. Same for the “Shut! The! Hell! Up!” episode, and for Olby’s accusation that Bush wanted to implement “invisible fascism.” Ah, the bygone days of respect at MSNBC!

Speaking of which, Steven Crowder has a teaser for his new documentary on MSNBC’s former “senior journalist.” The documentary on his “lost months” comes out next week, but take a peek at the Boss Emeritus and her takedown skills. I’d say that it reduces Olby to a bag of mashed-up meat with eyeglasses, but that might not meet the MSNBC ideal of respectful these days:

Comments

Related:

Did anyone read the news about the NBC exec. who raised a huge amount of cash for Obama (and what his associatioins are)?

Obama raises more than $1.2 million in Philadelphia

Lourdes on July 1, 2011 at 5:43 PM

How can ANYone watch NBC/MSNBC any longer for ANY reason except to glory in a terrible Presidency?

Lourdes on July 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Good on you, Lourdes!!!

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Is Comcast gonna drop MSNBC from the line up if they don’t straighten up and fly right? Er… left? lol

Fallon on July 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Exec (Cohen) at NBC parent company raises $1.2 million for Obama…

Cohen, a longtime Democratic operative, has successfully sheparded the regulatory review of Comcast’s merger with NBC Universal earlier this year.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Can we please nominate someone who will critcize the hell out of this pussified man-child? If they are sniping at MSNBC now, the thinness of his skin has truly reached critical mass. To not lance this festering Achille’s heel would be unforgiveable.

Kataklysmic on July 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM

El Rushbo addressed this today..Moaning Joe has had a bad week..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM

When liberals whine about Fox I just laugh and think of sh*t like this.

Scrappy on July 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Mika is an arm-flailing dummy.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM

And didn’t Contessa Brewer call bush a “chimp” or something?

Weight of Glory on July 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Mika goes around the table and asked people who they voted for.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Mika is an arm-flailing dummy.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM

You’re too kind. I think it’d be fun to discusss global warming with her.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I like the Morning Joe platform, and I can tolerate the three hosts (Joe, Mika and I like Willie), but their guests are what ruin what could potentially be a decent show. Any show that has Jon Meacham on regularly as an “objective” analyst is a lost cause. Throwing in Pat Buchanan as the token conservative is classic bias the MSM used to rely on when they controlled the agenda in the pre Fox and pre internet days.

If they had a more balanced guest list instead of the same old irrelevant liberals pretending to be objective reporters, it would be a pretty good show. Imagine having actual thinkers like Jonah Goldberg and Michelle Malkin making regular appearances on there. It would be a much better show and liven things up, not to mention make it more honest.

Daemonocracy on July 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Oh, and I’m done with Comcast. I think AT&T has cable service in my area and though I despise their customer service, Comcast is dead to me. I have to use their internet as they are the only cable internet around but my phone and TV are going to AT&T. They’re probably run by liberals too, maybe I’ll just get rid of cable and go with Netflix and Hulu.

Daemonocracy on July 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Obama Complains About his Workload

“They’re in one week, they’re out one week. And then they’re saying, ‘Obama has got to step in. You need to be here.’ I’ve been here. I’ve been doing Afghanistan and bin Laden and the Greek crisis. You stay here. Let’s get it done.”

Heh, indignance is indignant.

He means something else by “I’ve been doing”.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I can’t believe the utter stupidity of those two….How did they ever rate a show on national T.V.? It is pathetic…

theaddora on July 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Seeing Michelle in that clip reminds me of the early days of HotAir, with her very witty videos posted here. I wish we could have an occasional return of The Boss.

TXUS on July 1, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Does anyone else remember Contessa Brewer calling Pres. Bush a “chimp”? I have a distinct memory that that happened, and telling my wife about it when it did happen, but when I search Google and others, I can’t find a single reference. Did it happen? Or am I officially crazy?

Weight of Glory on July 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Campaign Mode:No body is running the country!

Brilliant!

And the Truth to Power,Obama,Failed Leadership!

This needs a musical send off!!
====================================

Mormon Tabernacle Choir – Hallelujah
*************************************

*************************************

canopfor on July 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I love these goofy glasses Joe is trying to sport. It’s like he’s starting a Weezer tribute band or something.

Go RBNY on July 1, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Btw Michelle Malkin cant put me in a rear naked choke any. day. of. the. week.

Go RBNY on July 1, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Oh Sh*t…………………………………….

PROGRESSIVE PURITY TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PROGRESSIVE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on July 1, 2011 at 6:05 PM

How much bailout money did they get?

Of course the Whitehouse wants control.

Speakup on July 1, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Ten to 1 Political Ratio on MSNBC Guests,and they’re
thinking that they need more WH Support Representation!!

And,just now,they are realizing the imbalance of their
bias!!

I’m gobsmacked at this revelation,maybe stunned too!

Idoits!!

canopfor on July 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Mika goes around the table and asked people who they voted for.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I think she does that after she asks everyone what they want in their coffee.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Daemonocracy on July 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Check with neighbors on that AT&T ‘TV cable over twisted pair’. I haven’t heard much good about the quality, and logically it would be very sensitive to distance from the roadside cabinet terminal.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Oh gawd that was good,Olbies missing time moments,
and dopple-ganger thingy,what a hoot,

*5 Stars!

canopfor on July 1, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Speaking of left wing organizations, I’m wondering if Google will have a patriotic banner on the 4th. I won’t be surprised if it’s a hammer and sickle.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM

If Mika had a brain, she would be dangerous. Does any sane person actually watch this garbage?

volsense on July 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM

If I were MSDNC, I’d beat the 7-second delay button like it owed me money whenever Mika looked like she was about to speak.

Christien on July 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM

“I like the Morning Joe platform, and I can tolerate the three hosts (Joe, Mika and I like Willie), but their guests are what ruin what could potentially be a decent show.”

..no, it could not. You obviously start your morning with a couple of shots of coffee in your Jack Daniels. I cannot possibly think of anyone except some 250,000 misguided, delusional dolt libs taking in that monumental piece of broadcast garbage in on a regular and protracted basis.

The War Planner on July 1, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Crowder is now venturing into science fiction. Olbermann has never done, and never will do, original reporting.

Jim Treacher on July 1, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Weight of Glory on July 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Erin Burnett called him a “monkey”. Is that what your thinking of?

aquaviva on July 1, 2011 at 6:24 PM

If Mika had a brain, she would be dangerous a half-wit.

volsense on July 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Much better.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM

TxAnn56:Thats a great point,I’m about T-minus four hours to
go watch our fireworks here in Canada for our cele
bration,and then return back on the 4TH,to watch our
sister city in Michigan,across the river celebrate
America’s!———–:)
=================================

Canada is on the Left,the river is about a mile wide,

and, America is on the right!

File:Soo Locks-Sault-Ste Marie.png

================

Canada:(Sault Ste.Marie Ontario)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

America(Sault Ste.Marie Michigan)

canopfor on July 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Erin Burnett called him a “monkey”. Is that what your thinking of?

aquaviva on July 1, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Thank you! Yes that’s what I was thinking. Thank you thank you thank you. That was driving me nuts!

Weight of Glory on July 1, 2011 at 6:30 PM

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM

TxAnn56:Oops,a linky glitch-:)
================================
Image:

canopfor on July 1, 2011 at 6:31 PM

MSNBC – “We have a vested interest in Obama’s success”.

Hey guys! You’re whores. Enjoy it. You earned it.

GarandFan on July 1, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Morning Lap Dog Joe. Has a ring to it.

Hummer53 on July 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM

NBC is a left wing sham and a laughable joke.

rplat on July 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM

We have a little Hot Air Morning Joe group here – the early birds who gather to discuss on the tail end of the “QOTD” thread. We were going over this hours ago. Come join us, but realize like us that someone at MSNBC is saying “WOW, where are we getting these 2 or 3 new viewers from?!!!”

Marcus on July 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Daemonocracy on July 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Huh?

Um. I am not enamored of COMCAST.

BUT LIBS I USED TO BATTLE HATED COMCAST
(Now I realize that libs hate on the basis of not kissing the the ring correctly but… her is a lefty post.)

Comcast now owns MSNBC after their acquisition was completed earlier this year, despite protestations from many of us. A look at campaign finance disclosures for several organizations shows that Phil Anschutz,
chairman of Comcast major shareholder and content partner with Comcast, donated large sums of money to the First Amendment Alliance, one of the largest outside groups targeting Democrats in the 2010 midterm elections.

The Anschutz Corporation, wholly owned by Phil Anschutz, gave $50,000 on 9/24/2010 to the First Amendment Alliance. The two candidates targeted by the First Amendment Alliance? Jack Conway and Michael Bennet.

Keith Olbermann gave to Jack Conway’s campaign along with Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords.

In addition, the Anschutz family donated $169,900 to Republican candidates and committees during the 2010 election cycle, according to Open Secrets.

Additionally, Comcast Corporation has contributed $125,000 to the Republican Governors’ Association in the 2010 cycle (as of 9/30/2010).

This was a post by a wild lefty so the veracity is questionable.

However, I have others where COMCAST was blamed for tagging mildly left candidates as baby killers, Nitwits or Marxists with donations or shows.

As for Morning Joe, I like it with no volume or with myself occupied with making breakfast or good company. I guess it never dawned to the hosts that Dems can’t defend an administration that has flown the nation into the side of a brick wall.

On this mornings problems with finding Dems who still defend The One…I know it is old news but think about a TRILLION DOLLARS JOE AND NINE PERCENT UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IDIOT!!!!!!

IlikedAUH2O on July 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Once, after I knocked the bias on several channels in the media and the horrible content of the shows in other respects and how they could be improved and moved to profitability, things got very interesting.

I was accused of working for COMCAST!

That should give you an idea of how deeply some liberals hate the organization.

IlikedAUH2O on July 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Mika’s indignant look of disbelief that anyone could possibly consider that Barry is doing anything less than a stellar job pretty much sums up MSLSD.

pain train on July 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM

That being said about Mika, yes, I’d still hit it.

pain train on July 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Unflippinbelievable.

Minorcan Maven on July 1, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Marcus on July 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I was lucky enough to stumble upon you the other morning when you made my day by saying that Halperin had likened Obama to genitalia. I watch about 5 minutes of Morning Joke before going to work. I still miss Imus at that slot.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I beg to differ. It is stunning. I would be absolutely amazed if the ratio of Republicans to Democrats attains a level of 10%. I believe the ratio to be closer to 0 to 2%.

Blaise on July 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Steven Crowder’s impression of Keith Olbermann is the doppleganger of Dan Aykroyd’s impression of Richard Nixon.

Tuning Spork on July 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I can see by all the comments here that you’all didn’t get the memo:

The DNC announced yesterday that Mika has taken over as chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, replacing Debbie Wasserman Schultz .

Gotta check those emails, guys!!

fred5678 on July 1, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Mika looks like she’s ready for another wine cooler.

Insufferable idiots.

Sherman1864 on July 2, 2011 at 4:27 AM

Why don’t I get to be taken down by the Boss??

It ain’t fair!!!

Sherman1864 on July 2, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Mika makes it clear.
They book them to read a script,
Not to use their brains.

Haiku Guy on July 2, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Unflippinbelievable.

and unflippinprofitable!

Lonetown on July 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Git ‘em, Michelle. Git ‘em.

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 2, 2011 at 7:57 AM

To these idiots, a 10:1 dem/repub ratio, and providing more support to Obama is their definition of unbiased.

How does Mika have a job? Is she there to make the others look smarter?

Pablo Snooze on July 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

And didn’t Contessa Brewer call bush a “chimp” or something?
Weight of Glory on July 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM

You might be thinking of Erin Burnett who called Bush a monkey on MSNBC morning Joe show.

The obligatory “Erin Burnett calls Bush a monkey” clip

I would bet Contessa Brewer has call bush a “chimp” on the air but I don’t know when.

Oh Erin Burnett was not suspended for calling Bush a Monkey.
She is suppose to get a new show this summer on CNN.

DSchoen on July 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM

“I just wonder what you think the president is doing right in all this?”…
Oh please ask someone with balls and a bit of a rehearsed list that one… “Nothing!… He has destroyed… undermined… wasted… lawlessly… (insert 10 minute rant ended only by the next commercial break)… ”

RalphyBoy on July 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM