Quotes of the day

posted at 10:35 pm on July 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Now, if the Lanigan is right about Bachmann’s chances (and most commentators agree with him), Obama’s campaign managers should be trying to build her up, on the grounds that she is unelectable. However, it seems that David Axelrod and the rest of the boys in Chicago, where the Obama 2012 campaign is based, are in the dissident camp. Evidently, they believe Bachmann needs taking down before she gains more momentum.

“Why is that? My guess is that, having themselves swept from nowhere to the White House on a wave of public disgust at the Bush Administration, the Obama strategists recognize a potentially dangerous rival. On the face of it, Bachmann is a classic right-wing protest candidate. But in centering her announcement speech on a critique of President Obama’s economic record, and stating baldly that he can be beaten, she was signalling that she intends to be more than that

“Being female not only sets Bachmann apart from the field, it partially inoculates her against the charge that she’s an extremist. When Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh rave about Obama and the Democrats being godless, anti-American socialists, they come across as what they are: angry middle-aged white men. Bachmann can say equally incendiary things, but coming from the mother of five (and the foster mother of twenty-three) it doesn’t have quite the same impact.”

***
“To be sure, there are doubts — many — to be raised about Bachmann’s stance on policy matters. And like many male candidates flubbing lines while running for office, the serious, repeated factual errors that come out of her mouth demonstrate that she’s either careless, factually challenged, or, as women’s advocate and author Gloria Feldt notes, living in an alternate universe.

“But why, so immediately, these questions about her brains? Perhaps one of the reasons fewer women run for public office is that they see how women are portrayed.

“There are some hopeful signs the paternalistic labeling might not fly as easily this time. Bachmann picked up on it recently and hit back, reportedly telling a voter on Wednesday that the media would like her to dive into a ‘mud wrestling fight” with potential presidential rival Sarah Palin…

“Let’s just agree: sexism transcends. The double standard is not about political parties, but about women and men. Even so, these reductive comparisons of two female candidates mark a new low for women in politics. We’re simply not seeing similar comparisons between, say, Mitt Romney and Rick Perry. How ridiculous it would seem to point out their proclivity for wearing a certain pattern on their tie or a 1950s-style hairdo.”

***
“In the last three months, at least 100 news stories have mentioned Bachmann’s claim that she raised 23 foster children. But the GOP presidential hopeful has provided few details about her time as a foster mom; in fact, very little has actually been reported about that period in her life. Former Bachmann neighbors and church members, according to a recent New York Times story, recalled few sightings of those foster kids.

“Actual details remain murky, and reports and accounts contradict her public statements. Bachmann has repeatedly said she took in a total of 23 foster children. But a 2001 story in The Minnesota Lawyer put the number of children at 20. A recent article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune quotes Bachmann as saying she raised as many as four foster children at one time. But Minnesota officials say she was only contracted to house three at a time…

“Some foster children stayed with the Bachmann family for short periods of time, Hendrickson said, while at least one stayed for close to a year. He did not recall hearing any complaints about Bachmann. ‘She was well-organized,’ he said. ‘There’s a very soft, nurturing side to her.’”

***
“So Bachmann’s taking off. Can she sustain it? Who knows? That’s what campaigns are for. But a sign of how seriously she’s being taken is that aides on the Hill are now beginning—half-jokingly—to speculate about her vice presidential pick. I still think Ryan-Rubio is the most likely 2012 GOP ticket. But if not that, how about Bachmann-Lieberman?”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

She has a very strong record as a politician, stronger than I had thought. You really should see the movie.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Now hold on a second. I was told this wasn’t about her. Which is it?

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Not that screening…. They came to us!

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Now hold on a second. I was told this wasn’t about her. Which is it?

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

And I told you stories have more than one subject and theme, and that the subject was primarily Palin but the theme is us and our ability to cut through the Leftist garbage. Keep up.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Here’s the thread, csdeven. Not a single comment from you about the frontrunning candidate that would make you puke. Not one.

MORE following me around? You are seriously obsessed dude!

Not really. You salivate in rage.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Hahaha!!!! Riiiight! Salivate in rage….You have no shame do you?

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Really Right on July 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

She was a housewife that went to a PTA meeting got involed and spent the next 20 years becoming the most susccesful woman politican in the gop party all by the sweat of her brow and her god given abilities. You can ask for no higher from of Gravitas.

unless you think a degree earned off of daddy’s money means more.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Salivate in rage….You have no shame do you?

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Have you ever seen a rabid dog? They aren’t usually happy.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Not that screening…. They came to us!

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

can you explain more please not following you here.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

can you explain more please not following you here.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

email me at gmail.com.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I was told it was not about her and that is why I should see it. Even though Palin and the producer said it is about her. Now you are saying I should go see it because it is about her.

The fact remains, I know enough about her, just as I know enough about Obama, that I don’t need to go see a propaganda film.

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

done

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Have you ever seen a rabid dog? They aren’t usually happy.

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

It is the Palin fans who froth at the mouth when someone challenges Palin. I am completely calm. I haven’t threatened anyone and I don’t follow anyone around creating files of everything they have ever written.

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I HAVEN’T been branded a troll-but plenty of good conservatives here who just happen to NOT support Palin have been!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM

as have many who DO support Palin…

equanimous on July 1, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I am pro-Palin and was called a troll because I dared to suggest she could use a voice coach. Any negative comment about Palin, even if you’re a supporter, and her rabid fans label you a troll.

silvernana on July 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

silvernana on July 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I don’t even bother telling those loons what qualities in Palin that I find honorable because of that.

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

silvernana on July 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I too have been called names for voicing the same concern as you. She needs a voice coach. It is a legitimate concern she needs to address in order to get out her talking points in a more cohesive tone.

It’s great to hear that you’re doing better, silvernana. Have a nice holiday.

Knucklehead on July 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

alwaysfiredup on July 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I’d like to see how much they changed it from the rough cut. I can’t stand all the quick edit/change focus/move the camera around on a still, talking person style. I hope they calmed it down a bit.

Dongemaharu on July 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

silvernana on July 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Over-generalization. I’ve been called in this thread alone a “worshiper”, an “idiot”, “mentally ill” and a “nutter” and a “rabid fan”. Yet in the past I’ve also said she needs to work on her delivery. Whaddaya know.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

It’s great to hear that you’re doing better, silvernana. Have a nice holiday.

Knucklehead on July 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Thank you, Knucklehead, and hope you also have a nice holiday.

silvernana on July 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

don’t forget cultist.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

MORE following me around? You are seriously obsessed dude!

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Nope. Just seeing if you’re as obsessed with a front-running declared candidate whom you say you would puke over if you had to vote for as you are with someone who’s not even declared her candidacy and may never do so. It’s not…rational.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM

don’t forget cultist.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Yeah, that too. Over and over and over and over and over…

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Yeah, that too. Over and over and over and over and over…

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM

yeap and many times when you aren’t even on the thread. they are obessed with calling us names.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I have pointed out a couple of times that Palin needed a voice coach and no one has ever said anything to me about it.

You have mentioned that Palin isn’t doing anything to win over Independants and moderates. Let’s examine how Reagan did it: he laid out a bold, optimistic vision of America and they came to him. If Palin runs and doesn’t do that then I will say your criticism is merited. I’m very confident her plan is to do exactly that though.

One thing Reagan definitely did not do was insult their intelligence by pandering on a bunch of liberal issues.

Kataklysmic on July 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM

The day you go to an Obama propaganda film is the day I go to her movie.

csdeven on July 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I’ve read both of Obama’s books. I continue to learn, in order to formulate my opinions based on the broadest possible information.

massrighty on July 2, 2011 at 2:21 PM

think ron Paul level of intensity combined with Reagan quanity level of primary support and you get an idea of what is about to hit the GOP primary once Palin announces.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Think George McGovern = Palin in the general.

rickyricardo on July 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM

rickyricardo on July 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM

ROFL….more like Reagan in a skirt.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Kataklysmic on July 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I’ve mentioned a couple of things I think she can work on to and it was received okay. My guess is that by not labeling either “side” you can give opinions.

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

No, the simple fact is that there are people who have a visceral dislike of Sarah Palin, and anyone who attempts to counter their preconceived notions is by definition somehow a “cultist”, “worshiper”, “whack job”, “idiot” or “mentally ill”. They constantly use the “I’m right because I’m right” fallacy.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM

don’t forget cultist.

unseen on July 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Whiners. If you cannot take it maybe you should move on ya nutter. Oh and you and Unseen still need to find that long list of comments I have made showing my visceral dislike for SP. Go luck ya whackos. Yes you and unseen ARE INSANE.

CW on July 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM

silvernana on July 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Knucklehead on July 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

If you think that Palin’s voice, especially when She gets really excited, is anything other than the sweetest sound in the universe, it only proves what a hater you are.

Yep, there certainly is a good explanation for the abnormal dedication Palinistas have for SP – Palinistas, like the Object of their devotion Herself, has no flaws! For example, when you throw the Palinistas’ garbage back onto their property after they’ve improperly and unauthorizedly thrown it on to yours, you are the one who’s committed an offense, not they.

Watch out for the wrath of the Palinistas if you dare suggest that they are thin-skinned and have the same nasty streak their Goddess does, qualities She showed us when she once uncourageously called Rick Santorum a Neanderthal – they’ll expertly put you in your place in record time! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

You’re a numbnut. You write a comment like that and then complain that Palin supporters are “thin skinned”.

Do you ever wonder why? No … you’re too bizzare to wonder why.

darwin on July 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Whiners.

After coming back and forth to this thread whining bout bad treatment from all those nutters. Hilarious.

This thread in itself is a vivid enough demonstration of your “mentality”. Let the discerning reader judge.

Go luck ya whackos. Yes you and unseen ARE INSANE.

CW on July 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I rest my case.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Do you ever wonder why? No … you’re too bizzare to wonder why.

darwin on July 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Exactly.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Do you ever wonder why? No … you’re too bizzare to wonder why.

darwin on July 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I was complaining? LOL

You just called me a numbnut and accused me of being a non-thinker w/no supporting evidence (your opinions of me do not qualify as evidence, sorry!), and that’s 100% acceptable to you, but when I or somebody else accuses a Palinista like you of being a thin-skinned hypocrite, that’s unacceptable to you. Pointing that double-standard out to you, are you still confused as to why I have a low opinion of Palinistas?

If I go to a Leftie website and call 0bamessiah a liar, a charge I can easily prove, I’ll immediately get called a racist, along with other names. And you know what? Those uncreative, thoughtlesss ninnies will feel just as justified as you do when you insult me, and, just like you as well, they’ll be offended that I consider them ninnies. You are no different than they are in that respect. Own it, numbnut! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM

…Those uncreative, thoughtlesss ninnies will feel just as justified as you do when you they insult me…

FIFM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Exactly.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Do you know what a “circular argument” is? Do you know why I ask? LOL :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I was complaining? LOL

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Read your own posts.

FIFM

Jacobson made a good point once to a resident PDSer at his Legal Insurrection blog. If you want to go around acting like Joy Behar or Keith Olbermann, be prepared to take the consequences without the whining.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Do you know what a “circular argument” is? Do you know why I ask? LOL :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I certainly do. Palin-bashers use it all the time: “I’m right because, well, I’m right”.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM

The smackdown Jacobson delivered on that occasion was great, and bears repeating here. This is for you, Bizarro:

@JE Burke – It’s not a question of thin-skinned, it’s a question of you simply engaging in anti-Palin name calling almost every time you come here.

You simply announce that Palin is evil and stupid and all the other names you regularly call her, and then express indignation and disbelief when someone disagrees with you. And when that someone is “smart” by your standards, well that just blows your mind because you are too much of a snob to consider that people without credentials may have valid opinions. That attitude gave us Obama once already.

Good luck with your tens of millions of people who hate Palin with you, they’re mostly voting for Obama. You hate Palin at a visceral level, we get it and nothing ever will convince you otherwise, because you have drunk the Kool Aid, just not the one you think.

But you’ll never admit it, because “smart” people could not possibly disagree with your assessment, because then they would not be smart. Nice self-fulfilling argument. It’s the type of argument which disgusts me.

The petty sniping emanating from the Republican Palin haters is the best thing Obama has going for him.

I have nothing against Michele Bachmann; but she’s making a big mistake by hiring a big mouth like Ed Rollins who will alienate a key portion of the Republican Party. And yes they will Palinize her, they already have; just watch any late night show.

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 7:46 PM

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM

How do you accurately judge between who is a PDSer, and someone who isn’t but just happens to be less sold on Her than the Palinistas are? What’s your criteria? Does making fun of Palin and/or Palinistas necessarily make one guilty of PDS? If so, why?

Remember the example I gave darwin of how I’d be treated at Leftie websites by self-righteous morons there if I were to call 0bamessiah a liar? People like you are darwin are no different than those Lefties – merely because you feel I am complaining, or not thinking, why, it’s God’s truth when you say so! You Palinistas are utter failures at making logical arguments to defend yourselves against those who call you thin-skinned hypocrites – you never vet your own premises before you use them and knee-jerkedly bash the Anti-Palinistas who don’t respect you. Think I’m wrong about you? LOL

If someone like you isn’t a thin-skinned hypocrite in regards to Palin, why don’t you take the time to calmly and rationally explain how a thin-skinned, hypocritical Palin supporter would behave? Is there any possibility of you doing so w/o attacking me somehow? Well, is a 0bamessiah a liar? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Do you know what “irony” means? How do you tell when your own sense of humor isn’t very good? When someone’s debating you, and you both say that the other is in denial, how do you go about making sure than you aren’t the one in denial – do you think calling your opponent names instead of laying out facts helps prove your case that you are the one who’s right?

Did I even need to bother asking someone like you questions like that, as though you are capable of having a cerebral, rather than an emotional, conversation? LOL :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 11:32 PM

pseudoforce on July 2, 2011 at 7:46 PM

LOL how was that pertinent to me? I have relatively few criticisms of Palin, and I certainly don’t hate her.

In your mind, however, I must hate her because I have treated her, and especially you nutty Palinistas (I find you people to be even nuttier than Paulbots, if such a thing is possible, btw) less respectfully than you believe I should. Wow, what a sophisticated justification for attacking someone who disagrees with you! Yet, you still don’t understand why I can’t stand whiny hypocrites like you.

To paraphrase Shatner the Great, get a life, will you?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2011 at 11:44 PM