Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 1, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

This week, Barack Obama opened up an air war … on Republicans. In his press conference, Obama made six references to tax breaks for corporate jet owners and the taxes they’re supposedly avoiding as if the $300 million each year that it represents would balance the budget. What Obama failed to mention in his sorties over the GOP was that it was his own stimulus package that extended those tax breaks, first created by George Bush after 9/11 to help boost airplane manufacturers:

The pedantic complaint is that Heritage’s original post incorrectly implied that Obama had concocted the idea himself. In fact, he merely extended the accelerated depreciation provision for “corporate jets.” But that doesn’t change the fact that President Obama railed six times yesterday against a tax break that exists in law today because of his signature.

Heritage’s Mike Gonzales has posted the official reply:

So, yes, obviously, if we could write it again, we would say “re-authorized” not “created.” To the writer over at Media Matters who said we should issue a “sweeping correction” we recommend switching to decaf. President Obama did create the Stimulus, which did include a tax break for the purchase of private jets. That failed bill only received three Republican congressional votes.

The jet tax provision is not a serious issue ($3 billion over ten years?), and Obama’s repeated mention of it demonstrates he is not serious about deficit reduction. It just adds icing to the cake that it exists in law today only because of his signature.

If that was all that was wrong with this attack, it would still make a great OOTD, but there’s more.  Charles Krauthammer put the potential revenue from eliminating this tax credit into its proper context (at the Heritage link):

“I did the math on this. If you collect the corporate jet tax every year for the next 5,000 years, you will cover one year of the debt that Obama has run up. One year.

“To put it another way, if you started collecting that tax at the time of John the Baptist and you collected it every year — first in shekels and now in dollars — you wouldn’t be halfway to covering one year of the amount of debt that Obama has run up.”

Bear in mind that Obama referenced this tax six times as an example of what was holding up a balanced budget.  Put it another way: the $3 billion in 10 years that we would save from its elimination equals everything Obama spent on Cash for Clunkers in three weeks.

But that’s still not the best part of this OOTD.  Since Obama is busily demonizing corporate-jet owners for taking those tax credits, will he go to Missouri and campaign against this one?

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo) said Monday she will sell her private plane and pay back $287,273 in four years of back taxes, the latest chapter in a politically embarrassing saga for the moderate Democrat facing a tough reelection battle in 2012.

McCaskill has been answering questions about the plane since POLITICO recently reported that she billed taxpayers for a political trip around Missouri. POLITICO also reported that McCaskill spent $76,000 from her Senate budget on trips on the aircraft over the past four years, prompting the senator to refund the Treasury Department more than $88,000 for the cost of the trips plus pilot fees.

McCaskill’s announcement Monday is the latest twist in a political scandal that has dogged her for the past two weeks. The expensive fiasco clashes with her self-made image as a reformer and good-government advocate during her first term in the Senate. McCaskill has now shelled out more than $375,000 in payments to cover the cost of the plane flights and back taxes, a series of events the senator herself has called “embarrassing.”

Thanks to Obama, Missouri Republicans can cut a whole series of ads for their campaign against McCaskill in 2012.  Not only were she and her husband examples of those dastardly corporate-jet owners, they didn’t even bother paying the taxes they did owe until they got caught.

Smooth move!

Comments

Hey, Math is Hard!!

JimK on July 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

This is why, as a helicopter owner, I’m keeping my head down and hope they don’t notice me. My old Cobra will come in handy for recon after the collapse of civilization.

Bishop on July 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

D’oh!

————

gop are you listening?

cmsinaz on July 1, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I like this OOTD, Ed. Thanks.

DrStock on July 1, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Don’t you trust Senator Mommie, Missouri?

Marcus on July 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Whaddya want? He’s a con-stuh-douch-unal expert, not a math teacher! Sheesh.

Crusader Rabbit on July 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM

as an example of what was holding up a balanced budget.

Speaking of budgets, Ed, how’s Ground Zero St. Paul holding up, now that Mark Dayton’s the adult in the room?

KingGold on July 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Our Idiot President is a fundamentally un-serious man. We have elected a sophomoric prankster as President, and we should remove him and his trashy, race-victim wife from the White Hosue at the earliest opportunity.

Jaibones on July 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Message from the POTUS to his supporters:

So fund me and flack for me
Tell me that you’ll cover for me
Vote me like you’ll never let me go
Cause I’m levying on a jet plane
Don’t know if I’ll be reelected
Oh babe, I’ll hate to go…

apostic on July 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Hollywood, hardest hit.

I wonder what John Travolta thought…

Or Oprah, who gushed about the joys of a private jet.

beatcanvas on July 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

first created by George Bush after 9/11 to help boost airplane manufacturers:

Ah, government in the business of picking winners and losers again. Couple that with the always wise Democrat practice of static tax analysis and you end up with, well, a lot of BS.

Kafir on July 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Smooth move!

Just one more in a long line thereof.

tgharris on July 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM

My old Cobra will come in handy for recon after the collapse of civilization.

Bishop on July 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Does it run on solar power?

BacaDog on July 1, 2011 at 8:30 AM

To the writer over at Media Matters who said we should issue a “sweeping correction” we recommend switching to decaf……..

……and be sure to have your fellow writers update their mental health plans.

Rovin on July 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM

My old Cobra will come in handy for recon after the collapse of civilization.

Bishop on July 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

It would be my honor to be your tail gunner, Bish.

Jaibones on July 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Message from the POTUS to his supporters:

So fund me and flack for me
Tell me that you’ll cover for me
Vote me like you’ll never let me go
Cause I’m levying on a jet plane
Don’t know if I’ll be reelected
Oh babe, I’ll hate to go…

apostic on July 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Didn’t you hear? In light of the recent Mark Halperin incident, POTUS is now DOTUS!

pilamaye on July 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for those darned kids.

SKYFOX on July 1, 2011 at 8:39 AM

pilamaye on July 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

[for context of aircraft, insert obligatory "cockpit" rejoiner here]

apostic on July 1, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Too many democrats in the legislature is what is holding up the budget. A small problem that will be fixed by the end of next year.

Tommy_G on July 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I hope to one day earn enough money to buy my own private jet. Then I will fly over Obama’s house and dump some turds on it.

search4truth on July 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Good OOTD… Spreading

Keemo on July 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM

“I’m going to sell the damn plane”———-Claire McCaskill.

Herb on July 1, 2011 at 8:51 AM

they didn’t even bother paying the taxes they did owe until they got caught

Par for the course with democrats.

chemman on July 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

The “DO AS I SAY, not DO AS I DO” Democrats.

And the legendary Vacays of the American Royal Couple.

PappyD61 on July 1, 2011 at 9:01 AM

C’mon Claire, go out and shill for him again so he can get re-elected. You know you want to!

Naturally Curly on July 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Correct me if I am wrong (I haven’t time to look up his exact words), but when Obama said he signed tax cut extension legislation, didn’t he imply that he had “concocted” the idea himself, rather than merely going along with Congress on extending tax cuts that were passed back in 2000?

Dusty on July 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Don’t Cobras have nose gunners, not tail gunners?

Count to 10 on July 1, 2011 at 9:15 AM

She’ll have to get reelected in order to recoup her losses in paying the back taxes.

Kissmygrits on July 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I wish we had a comedian on the right like Stewart and that he would use material like that from Krauthammer.

I was laughing so hard when he said that my dog ran in the room looking for the person attacking me.

barnone on July 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Democrats: Snakes on a Plane

BigAlSouth on July 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Global train wreck coming! What are Americans doing?

Crux Australis on July 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

“I thought he was a dick yesterday,”

Today nothing has changed.

mechkiller_k on July 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM

The “tax breaks for corporate jet owners” are not even breaks: they are only tax deferments. Accelerated depreciation allows for some taxes to be deferred to later years, but eventually they get paid, over seven years instead of five. These “tax breaks” do not effect the national debt, in the long run. Sure, revenue now is worth more than revenue later, but not by much when the discount rate is barely positive.

topdog on July 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Barry’s “Short Attention Span Administration”: He is convinced that nobody remembers what he said last week, or signed last month.

Yoop on July 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Bishop on July 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

You own a Cobra?? I remember the first one I saw. It was flying out of Hunter/Ft. Stewart. Came across the house at treetop level, haulin’ a$$! Very impressive bird at the time. That was back when they were training Vietnamese pilots at Ft. Stewart.

Can I be your gunner?

odat on July 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM

We gift Pakistan 6 B every year :-)

antisocial on July 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Hey, Math is Hard!!

JimK on July 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

But class warfare is easy-breezy!

mizflame98 on July 1, 2011 at 9:46 AM

No surprise here

ladyingray on July 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM

moderate Democrat facing a tough reelection battle in 2012

If Clair is a moderate Democrat then I am an aborted fetus.

watson007 on July 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Hey, math is hard!!

JimK @ 810

That’s why I forget my daughter’s age twice in the same press conference…but at least she gets her homework done a day early!!

Conclusions: 1) she is more dedicated to her schoolwork than Daddy is to being President, probably because she is less stubborn than him when Mama nags.

2) Those of us who have tried to find positive traits in this man–”he is a good father, and possibly a good husband (if we ignore the quashed rumors of infidelity) (in spite of the lack of positive church experience to offset the negative one he had been giving his family since before the girls were born)–we now are left with how out of touch he is with his own children’s daily lives.
He says his daughters don’t wait until the last day to do their homework. Can you rally tell me that a high-falutin’ private school doesn’t give kids daily homework?

But we should be sympathetic, because he blames America that he doesn’t get enough time with his kids even though he doesn’t miss a chance to hit the links or fly out of state or country and leave them behind.

rwenger43 on July 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Sounds like we could forgo the tax and simply catch all the misuses of jets by our politicians.

katablog.com on July 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I guess we have to go back to the time of Moses.

Obama-manna in the desert, and all hail the golden calf.

Steve Z on July 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

OBNOXIOUS

CNBC had a TITANS show on about the Donald.

He uses private jets.

He creates things people want.

He fires people.

But he had to have a job to give them in the first place and he didn’t take someone else’s money by the force of the state to create it in the first place.

The sad part is that some blacks and Dems I know will only hear the slams about Trump being a deadbeat and the rich getting away with everything.

And those damn jets!

IlikedAUH2O on July 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Note to Dear Leader:

I’ll bet Trump could cut the umemployment rate in half by 11/2012. Now he may have to misuse exorders like you do in some ways..and I know how he could do it.

Swear to it.

Remember the ice rink!

IlikedAUH2O on July 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Normally if a person evades taxes until they are caught, it means fines and possible criminal charges. Why isn’t McCaskill at least paying fines?

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Corporate jets are just about the only high-value EXPORT item this country produces anymore. Cessna, Lear, Gulfstream (even Boeing for the real high-rollers) – all competing with foreign-government-subsidized companies such as Embraer and Bombardier. Executives who use jets do so because THEIR TIME IS VALUABLE

skydaddy on July 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Actually, Ed, the best part of this OOTD is that you and the Heritage Foundation swung and missed on your criticism.

Tom_Shipley on July 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

And Ed, you left out that he uses The Jet of all more than others and Michelle just got back from seeing Mandella, where just the flight cost over 3/4 of a million, on yer taxes…plus they want those rich jet owners’ dough, for 5 1/2 more years, at a minimum.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM

T. Shipley,

and was extended in the Recovery Act, that official said. Heritage later corrected its post to reflect this.

Teh,heh, he still signed this in his ‘recovery’ act – your point is risible.

Plus, his warfare on the hard-working American people, and as president, is disgusting. You s/b smarter.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Picking a target that 99% of Americans never have and never will be able to obtain… Who cares that the target is irrelevant in it’s contribution to the problem at hand, or could in anyway be used to fix the problem…
Playing to the idiotic and jealous… There are a lot of them around… Barry knows his base.

RalphyBoy on July 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM

So I heard the latest economic bulletin from President Obama: that the whole problem with the economy and the federal budget is because of a tax break for corporate jets.

Really? We’re in economic and fiscal trouble because we haven’t raised a tiny little tax on corporate jets? Does the president have any concept of how irrelevant this is? The tax accounts for less than one tenth of one percent of the deficit reduction his negotiations with the Republican are supposed to achieve. Moreover, as he sneers derisively about the owners of corporate jets, does he have any concept of their value to the economy? As someone who has recently traveled on a commercial airliner, let me say that I certainly hope that the nation’s CEOs are not waiting around to be stuffed into coach class on Delta. I certainly hope that they have more efficient travel arrangements and more productive things to do with their time.

Malicious ‘ignorant’ – he is a Power Thugs.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM

he is a Power Thug.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Okay… a small correction needs to be made…

Senator McComical has sold “her husband’s” private/corporate jet and it is “her husband” who will be paying back the $287,273.

McComical hasn’t ponied up with anything out of this other than a lot of hot-air coming from her mouth.

Lawrence on July 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Shut up all of you and go fill your car’s tires!

shick on July 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM