Cable viewers love them some Fox

posted at 12:40 pm on July 1, 2011 by Tina Korbe

As usual, the Fox News Network dominated cable ratings for the second quarter. That’s the 38th straight quarter of Fox dominance, going back to the first quarter of 2002.

Of the top 30 cable programs, the top 12 air on Fox — and the No. 15 slot is filled with a Fox show, as well. “The O’Reilly Factor” once again captured the top slot — and the 11 p.m. repeat of the show ranks eighth. “Hannity” and “Special Report with Bret Baier” round out the top three.

“Fox and Friends” was up 8 percent year over year in adults 25 to 54, beating MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” and CNN’s “American Morning” combined.

Some top talkers like Chris Matthews and Joy Behar — infamous for making news as often as reporting it — draw in a surprisingly small number of viewers. Matthews, whose program ranked 20th, has just 698,000 viewers, while “The Joy Behar Show,” which ranked 30th, attracts a thin 488,000. Compare that to O’Reilly’s 2.824 million viewers (add another 1.246 million for his repeat) or Hannity’s 2.043 million.

Of left-leaning cable news programs, Rachel Maddow’s fares best. The Rachel Maddow Show was unlucky No. 13. The queen of sarc reaches 1.022 million viewers.

Also of note: MSNBC exhibited steady ratings in the wake of Keith Olbermann’s exit and HLN’s non-stop coverage of the Casey Anthony trial boosted its ratings considerably.

These rankings obviously don’t include network news, which still carry an arguably undue amount of weight. But the list of popular cable news programs and Fox’ ongoing popular appeal hint at just how hungry the public has been and continues to be for reporting and commentary that tells both sides of the story and grants the conservative perspective at least as much credence as the liberal worldview.

Comments

A network designed in the Nixon white house as a propaganda outfit is effective at propaganda? Color me shocked!

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I passed gas the other that certainly had that kind of reach.

BobMbx on July 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

“The Joy Behar Show,” which ranked 30th, attracts a thin 488,000.

Hahaha less than half a million … and she still has a show why?

Tony737 on July 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Somebody’s butthurt.

Caiwyn on July 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I saw that Nancy Grace was doing well on CNNHN. Does anyone know why that is? is it just because of hte Casey Anthony trial?

Pawlenty, the new Lunesta on July 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Che…er…Ernesto, take your toy gun and go back to pretend firing squads before you try to mix with grownups.

cartooner on July 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

That’s right, because cable news was in every home during the Nixon administration. Your stupidity knows no bounds.

Knucklehead on July 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Good thing we have people like you around to tell us stupid rubes how to properly think.

NotCoach on July 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

“The Joy Behar Show,” which ranked 30th, attracts a thin 488,000.

That’s about 480,000 more than I expected.

KS Rex on July 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

You love to make a fool of yourself.

Fox has been moving left, right in front of your eyes, if you open them.

See just Britt Hume, lately.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

That is why ‘spook dude’ and his money is going after Fox big time with media matters.

L

letget on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Richard Milhous Nixon (January 9, 1913 – April 22, 1994) was the 37th President of the United States, in office from 1969 to 1974

You really could have just yelled FIRST! and leave off the comment – we knew you would just post something stupid.

VegasRick on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Tony737 on July 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I guess for the same reason The View, The Talk and others are still on: as long as there are idiots who watch…

odat on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

ernesto

You’re a joke.

JAM on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Tony737 on July 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Considering how they run things there who is going to do better?

NotCoach on July 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

As opposed to Democrat Party propaganda organ CNN, I suppose?

Good Solid F-

Del Dolemonte on July 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

The whining all because of one ray of sunlight amid a media that would prefer we remain in the dark.

BuckeyeSam on July 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Yeah, I’m sure they were really busy at that when they weren’t dreaming up the EPA. A good business model too is to wait a couple of decades after having an idea before launching the venture.

TugboatPhil on July 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I think you are confusing Rachel Maddow with the true queen of sarc, Keith Olbermann.

Easy mistake to make, granted.

JohnGalt23 on July 1, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Hey, ernesto. Did you watch FDR on television, too?

kingsjester on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Special Report is a good show and Hannity is watchable when the panels are good. I think Hannity has Cain and Bachmann on tonight.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Damn, ernesto … that was a pretty effective troll.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

TugboatPhil on July 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

ernie don’t do history very well. Facts are pretty tough for him as well.

VegasRick on July 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM

ernesto

Um……..I believe ole Bugs Bunny said it best…………

“Whatta MAROON!”

Katfish on July 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Well, MSNBC, ABC, NBC and CBS clearly aren’t very effective at their propaganda. That, or maybe no one likes either the message OR the messengers. The fact that a DB like Bill O’Reilly crushes your liberal talkers must really hurt.

search4truth on July 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Mathews doesn’t even make it into the top 20 for the young adult demographic. Interesting. His audience is entirely old hippies.

pat on July 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

cartooner on July 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM

His friends hate playing firing squad … they never get to play “Che!”.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I quit watching and listening to Hannity about a year ago. His voice got too whiney and he tends to talk over folks, even his allies.

odat on July 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

while “The Joy Behar Show,” which ranked 30th, attracts a thin 488,000

I’m willing to bet that 488,000 isn’t thin at all.

Disturb the Universe on July 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM

ernesto

ernesto, don’t forget to tell us how FDR went on TV and let the people know what was going on, you know those “fireside chats”.

IowaWoman on July 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM

That ugly dude Maddow’s viewers must be blind. Face that could scare a ghost.

search4truth on July 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM

odat on July 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Yeah, but he drives a hybrid Chevy Tahoe or something like that/

Knucklehead on July 1, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Hannity was good last night for two reasons: Monica Crowley was the host and Hannity interviewed Carol Swain and managed not to talk over the top of her too much.

BuckeyeSam on July 1, 2011 at 1:02 PM

That ugly dude Maddow’s viewers must be blind. Face that could scare a ghost.

search4truth on July 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM

What do you mean? Her viewers include a lot of Fred Savage fans who are awaiting his return to TV.

BuckeyeSam on July 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Hey, ernesto. Did you watch FDR on television, too?

kingsjester on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Actually FDR was one of the first people on TV. The National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) was RCA’s broadcasting wing. It began regular U.S. television broadcasting on April 30, 1939, with a telecast of President Franklin D. Roosevelt opening the New York World’s Fair.

Tommy_G on July 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Yeah…it was totally designed 30 years before it went live, you blithering moron.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM

The whining all because of one ray of sunlight amid a media that would prefer we remain is in the dark.

BuckeyeSam on July 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Obama-azzcrawlers. It’s dark in there, they eat what they dwell in, and their minds are affected. May they and their love suffocate.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Fox has been moving left, right in front of your eyes, if you open them.

See just Britt Hume, lately.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I have definitely noticed, and was quite surprised by Brit.

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

ernesto

Dude…you really have no problem actually signing your name to that?!?! Might as well just hang a sign around your neck that says “Hit me…I’m stupid”

winston on July 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Hey, ernesto. Did you watch FDR on television, too?

kingsjester on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Tommy_G on July 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM

kingjester was of course referring to this:

“When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed,” Biden told anchor Katie Couric on the CBS Evening News. “He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened.’ ”

The only problem is that FDR was not the president when the stock market crashed. Herbert Hoover was. The second problem is that television was not widely available during the October 1929 market crash, and the dominant means of communication at the time was the radio.

FDR did not take office until 1933, and many in the general public did not see televisions until the 1939 World’s Fair in New York City. At that time, FDR delivered the first presidential address on television – nearly 10 years after the stock market crashed.

Del Dolemonte on July 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

ernesto is Biden.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

OT..How are you doing?..:)

PS..It is good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM

When half of a market was unserved–the conservative half–it didn’t take a genius to come up with a moneymaking solution.

RBMN on July 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Who’s Joy Behar ??

LODGE4 on July 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Just for you, ernesto.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Once again, you’ll hear cries from the left for putting the (un)fairness doctrine back in. Liberals can’t compete in the open market.
You know, in a FREE world, people should choose what they want. I could care less what MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS has on the air, I just don’t care for it, I just don’t watch it. Do I protest that they air what they do? Nope, I could care less who watches those shows. THAT is the difference between conservatives & liberals. Conservatives say play what you want, liberals say only play what WE want you to see/hear.

p51d007 on July 1, 2011 at 1:17 PM

ernesto is Biden.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

And we know where ernesto’s plugs are

Wade on July 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Everything you post is propaganda. Nice try, Sparky. And, happy July 4th. It’s a Republican holiday, so I’m sure you’ll have fun…

joejm65 on July 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Fox has been moving left, right in front of your eyes, if you open them.

See just Britt Hume, lately.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I have definitely noticed, and was quite surprised by Brit.

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I’ve noticed, and many others here have commented that Fox News seems to have been ‘managed’ in being pushed left starting late last year. Right around the time that the progs were pushing an advertising strike on Beck’s show and Fox News had a meeting with the Nazi stooge George Soros, I saw changes. I suspect that Ailes or Murdoch came down on them and ordered them to moderate wrt the shows that are commentary. Little Bammie’s documentation problem for instance seems verboten.

Little Bammie’s thuggery does work to some extent. We see companies towing the line on his policies, terrified to speak out on Obamacare, Crap and Trade, Card-Check, etc. We will also see Wall Street giving to his reelection even though they hate the sob.

Through history, thuggery works for a time, and it is working for little Bammie.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2011 at 1:27 PM

looks like Foxnews is dropping viewers. anyone got year to year numbers. I was thinking BOr was pulling in avg of 3.5million last year. BOR lost 750,000 viewers year over year? that doesn’t seem right. Anyone got the figures to see if my memory is correct?

unseen on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

OT..How are you doing?..:)

PS..It is good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Hi Dire! Slowly improving, but still no weight-bearing(walking), but am starting therapy. I’m so tired of laying in a hospital bed in my living room and being in a wheelchair. But again, I am lucky to just be here, so I hate to complain much. My poor hubbie is worn out caring for me, but he does a wonderful job. Thanks for asking.

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Guess I’m in the minority here. I react to Faux News programming the same as CNN, etc–all spin, all lies, all the time. Just another mouthpiece for DC elites, albeit of the GOP-RINO stripe.

james23 on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Fox has been moving left, right in front of your eyes, if you open them.

See just Britt Hume, lately.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM
I have definitely noticed, and was quite surprised by Brit.

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

It started after the Nov elections and speed up after the Tucson shootings.

unseen on July 1, 2011 at 1:30 PM

james23 on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I agree with you. I hardly ever watch it anymore.

unseen on July 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM

RBMN on July 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM

The funny thing is, there is still only one moderately conservative network. Why don’t the owners of MSNBC create a conservative equivalent of MSNBC? There’s a marketing opportunity there for a network to the right of Fox News that you could drive Air Force One through.

Let’s be honest, a part of Fox News success is simply due to the fact that they have a monopoly on non-liberal news.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM

ernesto is Biden.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

You mean Joe “Bite Me” Biden?

antisocial on July 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Anyone notice that Ernie(the liar) has a knack for being the first poster on many threads and simply recites talking points?

Ernie did you tell your female partners yet that you also sleep with men?

CW on July 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM

ernesto on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Heh! Thanks for the laugh.

Pawlenty, the new Lunesta on July 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I thought I heard that CNNHN actually beat FNC in ratings one day this week. I could have heard that wrong though.

chief on July 1, 2011 at 1:35 PM

And we know where ernesto’s plugs are

Wade on July 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Heh

CW on July 1, 2011 at 1:35 PM

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I wish you well and hope and pray for your speedy recovery!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

unseen on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

All of Fox News had very inflated numbers in January to March 2010 because of the Obamacare vote. It is all related to the news cycle. TheBlaze had a good article on this yesterday. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Pawlenty, the new Lunesta on July 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I wish you well and hope and pray for your speedy recovery!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Thank you, and I appreciate the prayers.

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I think Fox News is headed for some bad numbers. With their new 5 pm program followed by Brett, Shep, and O’reilly, that’s definitely a 4 hour block I won’t be watching. Plus watching Hannity once a week is plenty, since he repeats himself so much. Greta was the only evening Fox show I enjoy, but that ends when she does her voyeur shows.

huckleberryfriend on July 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Yeah, but he drives a hybrid Chevy Tahoe or something like that/

Knucklehead on July 1, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I think it was Consumer Reports that called it one of the worst vehicles on the road.

odat on July 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM

One quibble: The Maddow isn’t the queen of sarc. It’s the king.

IronDioPriest on July 1, 2011 at 1:47 PM

search4truth on July 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I can’t stand her “sarcasm.” She tries to be witty but comes off as insecure.

RDE2010 on July 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM

huckleberryfriend on July 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM

specialreport is my favorite by far in that block…wouldn’t mind john stossel or red eye in the 5pm slot

cmsinaz on July 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I saw where Glenn Beck is moving to Dallas. He will love it there out of the liberal jungle, plus save himself a lot of money. He will also be treated better there. I wish him the best!

silvernana on July 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Buttboy is apparently a huge admirer of Nixon.

I would have thought that anything those idiots designed 38 years ago would have failed 37 years ago, and probably did.

Jaibones on July 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM

cmsinaz on July 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Special report is very good..:)

PS..It is getting closer to happy hour!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM

The Joy Behar Show,” which ranked 30th, attracts a thin 488,000.

That’s about the only thing thin with Joy Behar…

Bruno Strozek on July 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM

You’re not really surprised that their numbers are that low, are you? I, for one, am surprised their numbers are as high as they are.

Desert Gardens on July 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM

unseen on July 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Most likely because people can’t afford the cable bill, so they cancel it. No cable, no Fox. No viewers.

And that hold true for any cable network. Of course, this depends on your local cable provider and what they provide as a package (basic, premium, platinum, unobtainium, Obamium, etc..)

For me, I could no longer stomach paying $300+ per month for cable and internet access through COMCAST. So I dropped down to the package just above basic and reduced the internet to “unblazingly fast” connection speed. Like I care about that. I don’t do movies or TV on the computer.

BobMbx on July 1, 2011 at 1:55 PM

How stupid art thou?

The channel was created by Australian-American media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who hired former NBC executive Roger Ailes as the founding CEO. The channel was launched on October 7, 1996 to 17 million cable subscribers.

On April 22, 1994, Richard Milhous Nixon, the 37th President of the United States, died

Yeah, Nixon was hard at work for the 2 years….

right2bright on July 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Can you imagine what this country would be like today if it weren’t for FNC?

petefrt on July 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Pawlenty, the new Lunesta on July 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Thanks from the article it looks like Jan 2010 was a big bump and fox news has lost viewers every month since than until they are now getting less numbers then they did in 2009.

While I’m prepared to say the story is correct about the helthcare bill driving the ratings it doesn’t explain the drop off voer the next year. After all in Nov 2010 we had a very big election.

and it seems that with Beck’s leaving foxnews just lost one of their best rated shows. I think Ailes blew the Beck thing. But he has been blowing a lot of calls lately. It hink the power of the Tea party scared him and threatened the power and influenced of the establishment.

unseen on July 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM

BobMbx on July 1, 2011 at 1:55

PM

good point the economy would impact the numbers somewhat too.

unseen on July 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM

all the lefties that troll this website will be thrilled (tingled) to know that the side of “Reason” “Goodness” and “The People” and against all “Evil” is well represented by our media types:

Comcast’s executive vice president, David L. Cohen, hosted about 120 people in his home for a dinner, each of the attendees giving at least $10,000 for Obama’s reelection campaign.

Among the attendees were Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) and Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter (D). Dinner was arranged by restaurateur Stephen Starr, whose popular eateries include Morimoto and Buddakan.

Cohen, a longtime Democratic operative, has successfully sheparded the regulatory review of Comcast’s merger with NBC Universal earlier this year.

r keller on July 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM

+100. I never cease to be amazed at how many viewers watch the same people saying the same things night after night at FNC. They certainly take conservatives for granted.

bw222 on July 1, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Can you imagine what this country would be like today if it weren’t for FNC?

petefrt on July 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I think that something like Fox would have come about anyway.

Idiots like ernesto call media outlets they don’t agree with “propaganda outlets” that mold people’s minds but they’re actually the opposite: outlets that, for the most part, reflect the values, views, and aspirations of their viewers.

Fox is successful not because they created a market but because they meet that’s market’s needs.

Rod on July 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Beckel makes me cringe…he really adds nothing and can’t make a logical, coherent argument to save his life. He reminds me of an unfamous version of Ed Asner.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Tommy_G on July 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM

For the American market.

Now for the inevitable Godwin’s Law:
Hilter had the 1st international TV broadcast at the opening ceremonies of the 1936 Olympics. Unfortunately for him, he also broadcast Jesse Ownes’ famous race on live TV. Moral of the story for Goebbels is not to do live TV unless you know the outcome, other than that, the Nazis had “great” plans for TV as a propaganda tool. Doesn’t surprise me that MSNBC, nee NBC, would do old Joe proud — all three of them, to include Stalin & Biden.

AH_C on July 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM

cmsinaz on July 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM

If all you want is a recap of the news already covered on the blogs, then specialreport is your show. I usually just watch the last 20 minutes to see if Charles or Stephen Hayes has any interesting insight. Should be a law against calling the rest of the panelists all-stars.

huckleberryfriend on July 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

And remember America, it WASN’T on Fox News that Mark Halperin gave B.O. the new official moniker of DOTUS!

And you just know how much that sticks in the craw of outlets like the New York Times!

pilamaye on July 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Further evidence of America as a center-right nation.

Eat it.