Yesterday Iowa with Palin, today Pennsylvania with Romney

posted at 12:05 pm on June 30, 2011 by Tina Korbe

GOP presidential frontrunner and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney today will hold a press conference outside Allentown Metal Works, a factory President Barack Obama visited in 2009 to tout the stimulus — about a year before the factory closed its doors. That’s pretty stagey — but it also effectively dramatizes Romney’s oft-repeated point, “Obama isn’t working.”

To underscore that point and complement his visit to the Keystone State, which will also include two fundraisers in Philadelphia, the Romney campaign today also released this 40-second web video:

Neither the video nor Romney’s visit will go unmatched by the president, however. Obama will also be in Pennsylvania today, for two Democratic National Committee fundraisers in Philadelphia. This is far from Obama’s first attempt to woo the religion-and-gun-clingers of the state. CNN Political Ticker reports:

Thursday’s trip is his thirteenth trip to the Keystone State since taking office and his third since announcing his re-election campaign April 4. …

The president was in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania last week and Philadelphia on April 6. According to a recent Quinnipiac University poll, 48 percent of voters in the state approve of Obama’s performance as president and 48 percent disapprove.

He won the politically important state in the 2008 presidential election with 55 percent of the vote to GOP candidate Sen. John McCain’s 44 percent. Former President George W. Bush lost the state’s 21 electoral votes in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections, to former Vice President Al Gore with 50 percent in 2000 and Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts with 51 percent of the vote in 2004.

However, 2010 was a good year for Pennsylvania Republicans. Republican Pat Toomey won election to the Senate and voters ousted four incumbent House Democrats.

Clearly, Pennsylvania could go either way. But Romney’s sounding pretty confident. “Two and a half years ago, President Obama said that if he didn’t get the economy back on track, then he would be a one-term president. He is right,” Romney said in a statement. “Pennsylvanians have run out of patience.”

If they have, that seems pretty fair. As the Romney web video points out, Pennsylvanians have borne with more than most: Nearly 500,000 Pennsylvanians are looking for work. And in the Keystone State alone, 100,000 jobs have been lost, nearly 40,000 of which were manufacturing jobs.

Comments

ROFL, good on you, Mitt. If Romney were smart he would highlight that PBHO is in PA too but didn’t feel comfortable speechifying in front of a closed factory.

Bishop on June 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM

“If elected, do you support my bid for UN Secretary General?”

shibumi on June 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM

If I saw little Bammie outside my business, I’d be in a full panic. The man has the reverse Midas touch.

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Good ad! I hope this gets significant airtime on Pennsylvania TV stattions.

glennbo on June 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

tl;dr: Romney is in Pennsylvania.

thphilli on June 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

If he want’s to do that, Philly is the wrong place to be.

I’m starting to see a pattern here. If you want your business to succeed, keep this guy away from it.

forest on June 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Things are going to have to get a lot worse before Pennsylvania turns red, even slightly.

The whole state is basically %50-%50, until late when the Philidelphia Democrat-Mafia Complex manufactures enough Dem votes to tilt it blue. They just need to know how many they need to come up with, then they magically appear.

The margin in the rest of the state is going to have to tilt red enough to make it impossible for Philly to swing the results through fraud.

It can happen, but people there need to get a bit more angry and desperate to change things first.

Do I have that about right, Pennsylvanians?

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Wait, what? I thought he was working on the budget?

faraway on June 30, 2011 at 12:29 PM

“They’re in one week, they’re out one week, and then they’re saying, ‘Obama’s got to step in,’” the president quipped. “You need to be here. I’ve been here. blockquote>

No Sir, you haven’t.

parke on June 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I’m a little more optimistic, Brian1972. I don’t think the PDMC is going to overcome the losses the Bamster is going to take in the coal and gas counties… and he’s not going to do as well in the ‘burbs either. The key is anthracite country (Scranton-Wilkes-Barre-Hazleton-Pottsville). If the fraudster hurts there, he’s toast. That area has so many “Reagan Democrat” types that are ready to bolt on him.

either orr on June 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Romney’s team gives good ad. Too bad their candidate is a dud.

ElectricPhase on June 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Yesterday Iowa with Palin, today Pennsylvania with Romney

How many people cared he was in Iowa? I bet Iowans were panicked. If he’s in your state he must have some corrupt buddies he’s funneling billions of tax dollars to.

Palin obviously was the talk of the day, and I think Romeny will be the talk of the day in PA.

darwin on June 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Wait, what? I thought he was working on the budget?

faraway on June 30, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Democrats are only required to produce a budget when they feel like it. It’s like in the Constitution or something.

darwin on June 30, 2011 at 12:37 PM

either orr on June 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I hope you are right. I’ve had hopes for Pennsylvania in the past, and saw them dashed repeatedly.

It is always sooo close, and then just barely goes for the Dem.

I’m just cautious from experience.

I can say, if Obama loses Pennsylvania by more than about %3, he is toast.
Ohio is gone, Indiana is gone, Wisconsin is teetering on the brink despite being the traditional home of progressivism.
I think he can still count on Minnesota, don’t know about Michigan, they have got it bad up there but Detroit is Detroit.
I heard a report that Iowa may be tilting red also.

Other than Florida, the Midwest will be the main battle ground. If he can’t hold Pennsylvania, he’s a goner.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Clearly, Pennsylvania could go either way.

I’ve been teased too many time by PA (and NJ). I won’t get my hopes up.

SouthernGent on June 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Yesterday Iowa with Palin, today Pennsylvania with Romney?
The man’s a stalker

jones4az on June 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I’ve been teased too many time by PA (and NJ). I won’t get my hopes up.

Don’t blame ya, SouthernGent. We do have our own quirky politics here — since we allowed governors to serve for two terms, we’ve never ousted an incumbent seeking a second term… but we’ve never elected consecutive governors from the same party. And 2010 was a pretty good year, in that the GOP took back the state House, added to a sizable majority in the state Senate, and took four US House seats.
2012 is gonna be interesting here. Little Bobby Casey (the son of the fairly popular late governor Bob Casey) is up for re-election to the Senate. So far, no Republican has stepped up to challenge him yet. The guy I’d like to see give it a shot is Mark Schweiker, who finished off Ridge’s second term when Ridge went to Homeland Insecurity. He was popular, but had pledged not to run for a full term. He kept that pledge, which stuck us with eight years of Fa(s)t Eddie Rendell.

either orr on June 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM

It is always sooo close, and then just barely goes for the Dem.

I’m just cautious from experience.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Forget it, some of the most blatant vote theft in our nation happens in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. It’s no surprise that democratics seem to win the state by small margins, that’s what the fraudsters do.

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM

These ads really hit home when they use his own words to accent his failures. He’s going down in November 2012, and Mark Halperin is spot on.

MJZZZ on June 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Every cycle people talk about PA going red, and every time it stays blue.

I’m not getting my hopes up. But who knows? If it’s going to happen, 2012 may just be the year.

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Since we’re sort of on the subject…

Let’s say PA stays blue.

OH, IN, VA, NC -> red
FL – ?
NV, NM, CO – ? ‘Pubbies take at least one
NH – ?

It may come down to IA or WI.

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I loved how the votes from Lancaster and York counties didn’t come in until Philly was 98% counted in the Toomey election.

And Pittsburgh isn’t what it used to be for Democrats. There’s only about 300,000 left in the city limits, it isn’t as liberal as Philly, and the suburbs are going much more conservative than they used to. the Philly suburbs on the other hand, ugh, especially Montgomery County…

forest on June 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yesterday Iowa with Palin, today Pennsylvania with Romney?
The man’s a stalker

jones4az on June 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM

RACIST!

fossten on June 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM

It may come down to IA or WI.

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

..I think the guy’s gonna take the pipe big-time. (Won’t get into who is the GOP nominee.) But the mantra is rapidly becoming all about Obama’s re-election chances and how dismal they are. Even the MSM is mentioning the problems of his running on his past record.

The War Planner on June 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I hope there are people out there booing and protesting Obama…

albill on June 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM

The War Planner on June 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM

My concern is that the media is making him look like a big loser now so that they can engineer a Big Comeback for him later on. It may or may not work, but I can’t discount the possibility that they will try.

Either way I think it could very well be a blowout for the GOP.

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Romney would be excellent…
…as President Palin’s ambassador to Massachusetts.
(new and improved “Thread Helper”-carry on)

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Either way I think it could very well be a blowout for the GOP.

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM

The Comeback Kid?

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM

:D Good one.

pannw on June 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM

The Comeback Kid?

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, pretty much. They tried something like this at the end of the 2004 campaign with Kerry, which obviously failed, but that was a close election. So if this is what they’re doing, it is likely an indication of Obama’s vulnerability that they are trying it this far out.

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Politico has the video of Mitt’s press conference in PA today.

Mitt is just so good in this environment; he should have a press conference every week!

Mitt’s press conference has got to be making Obama nervous after his terrible “dick” press conference yesterday.

Mitt is relaxed and in command of the event. He’s engaged with the reporters answering questions with details and passion. He’s on message, focused, approachable.

Key takeaway: Mitt looks like he could step into Obama’s job tomorrow morning and start improving the economic situation ASAP.

Also, Mitt hits Obama very hard but there is no demagoguery or snide quality in his tone…..Mitt is the master at this, it’s really extraordinary!

sheryl on June 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM

The ObaMao fund raising must be closely watched, he has all ready embezzled the money, but he can’t spend it until he can explain it.

Slowburn on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Somewhere in the blogosphere, someone typed it:

That is how Romney made his millions: by buying family businesses, firing the original owners, leveraging these small businesses by taking out massive loans sinking them in debt, paying himself and his vultures from Bain Capital millions, then shipping the remaining jobs overseas.

IS IT TRUE, MITTYMOUSE?